ORAS OU Failed Mega Sceptile team

Would you sue this team?

• Yes

Votes: 14 73.7%
  • No

Votes: 8 42.1%

• Total voters
Hey there everyone! I bring you a team that was created from a failed mega sceptile team. It started off by having aegislash and mega sceptile together, as asegislash covers all of the latter's weaknesses. Unfortunately the team was really weak to mega sableye so I changed sceptile to diancie.

HERE'S THE TEAM AT A GLANCE:

THE TEAM IN DEPTH:

Diancie-Mega @ Diancite
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Moonblast
- Earth Power
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Diamond Storm

As I've already mentioned, this is to cover for my Mega Sableye weakness. Moonblast and Diamond Storm act as mandatory stabs. The +1 in defense that Diamond Storm occasionally gives is pretty useful as well. Earth Power helps in hitting Heatran, Aegislash, Klefki and the like. I chose Hidden Power Fire over Protect as otherwise Ferrothorn would give this set set a lot of trouble. I agree, it is sometimes tricky to mega evolve, but so far it's been doable.

Aegislash @ Leftovers
Ability: Stance Change
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- King's Shield
- Swords Dance
- Shadow Sneak
- Iron Head

I remember having a team of Greninja, Aegislash and Mega Lucario before they all got banned. So you can imagine that when this thing had a chance of coming back I couldn't resist using it. Not entirely true though, as initially when I started laddering the suspect ladder, I had a team without Aegislash. Okay, to get to the point, this is the standrad set I used to use except iron head replaced sacred sword. Due to it's bulk, I get multiple set up opportunities. Iron Head and Shadow Sneak are my stabs with shadow sneak acting as a priority as well. King's Shield to help recover some hp and to take physical hits better.

Thundurus (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Knock Off

I realised that the previous two were weak to Mega Altaria, Zard X and Gyarados once they were a DD up so I introduced this guy as it can come and paralyse them. Volt Switch allows me to form a double genie Volturn core with Landorus while hidden power ice helps with the beambolt coverage. I chose Knock off over thunderbolt as getting rid of evolites and AVs is priceless.

Landorus-Therian (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 8 SpD / 8 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- U-turn
- Rock Slide
- Earthquake

This guy finishes off the Volturn core. He is also my Talon Counter and Rock Setter. Earthquake is a great Stab move and Rock SLide completes the Quakedge coverage. I chose Rock Slide as I despise the accuracy of Stone Edge. The 8 Sp. Def evs allow it to survive an HP ice from Mega Manectric at full health. However, the team is still incredibly weak to Mega Manectric.

Starmie @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 248 HP / 16 SpD / 244 Spe
Timid Nature
- Reflect Type
- Scald
- Rapid Spin
- Recover

Every team needs a spinner or a defogger. Reflect Type is a really cool move to use and allows me to beat Bisharp one on one, unless it has a fighting move. Scald is a stab that allows me to spread burns so Starmie can take physical hits better. Rapid Spin for obvious purposes. Recover is there for longevity.

Serperior @ Assault Vest
Ability: Contrary
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Dragon Pulse
- Giga Drain

After Sceptile was gone, I was having trouble with bulky waters. So I added Serperior. Not only does he allow me to tackle bulky waters and Tyranitars, he also sets up in the process through Contrary. Hidden Power Fire and Dragon Pulse put together have pretty formidable coverage. Those two moves put together with a grass type move hits everything neutrally bar heatran, I think. Giga Drain is there so that I can repeat the process. I chose AV over anything else as I like the buff in Sp. Def and the lack of power is managable.

THREAT LIST:

• Mega Manectric
  • Mega Scizor with knock off
  • Specially Offensive Aegislash
  • Mamoswine, if Starmie is gone and Diancie has not mega evolved yet
There are probably more so please feel free to let me know so that I can add them.

REPLAYS:

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/oususpecttest-229242456 The team playing a s a whole

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/oususpecttest-229098237 Mega Diancie

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/oususpecttest-228988294 Aegislash's set

Well there it is. So far I've climbed upto 1413, which is not high, but I haven'y stopped climbing. This team also covers each other's weaknesses, as far as I know. All constructive criticism is welcome. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
team looks like a pretty solid serp team but i would change Reflect Type to Psychic in order to deal some decent damage to mega Venusaur which otherwise completely stops both diancie and serp from sweeping. psychic over psyshock since most mega venusaurs are running more defense instead of specially biased mix sets. although this means you can get pursuit trapped by t-tar and bisharp the ability to weaken arguably the biggest defensive threat to your team outweighs losing starmie. Scalds 100% 30% burn chance can allow you to get a sneaky burn on bisharp as well so you do not need to be forced into a situation where you are required to 1v1 a bisharp.

Gl with the team

Good job overall, and ya Mega Sceptile is so bad imo, good call on the sub out... in your Serp analysis you stated perfect netural coverage outside heatran, which is not true (Mega ALtaria and the rare togekiss (nitpicking).

Overall its hard to find fault with the team, as you have many basis covered, however id suggest life orb over assault vest on serp, serps so weak naturally it needs power, but to each his own really.

team looks like a pretty solid serp team but i would change Reflect Type to Psychic in order to deal some decent damage to mega Venusaur which otherwise completely stops both diancie and serp from sweeping. psychic over psyshock since most mega venusaurs are running more defense instead of specially biased mix sets. although this means you can get pursuit trapped by t-tar and bisharp the ability to weaken arguably the biggest defensive threat to your team outweighs losing starmie. Scalds 100% 30% burn chance can allow you to get a sneaky burn on bisharp as well so you do not need to be forced into a situation where you are required to 1v1 a bisharp.

Gl with the team
Thanks a lot! I'll definitely try Psychic out. Although Mega Venu is a pain but reflect type helps me come in and take giga drains, sludge bombs and leech seeds. Then I can burn it with scald and stall it out. But I'll give Psychic a try for sure!

Good job overall, and ya Mega Sceptile is so bad imo, good call on the sub out... in your Serp analysis you stated perfect netural coverage outside heatran, which is not true (Mega ALtaria and the rare togekiss (nitpicking).

Overall its hard to find fault with the team, as you have many basis covered, however id suggest life orb over assault vest on serp, serps so weak naturally it needs power, but to each his own really.
Thanks for the rate! I'm glad you liked it. Oh yeah, I completely forgot about mega Altaria :P But surely hp fire hits togekiss neutrally, right? I'll give life orb a try. Could you both please help me out a bit as I have to replace Aegi now :P What do I use?

Very solid team in my opinion, just a minor detail: Your team seems to have trouble dealing with Bisharp as you have no safe switch-ins. Therefore I suggest replacing Lando-T with mixed defensive Hippowdon:

Hippowdon @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Stream/ Sand Force
EVs: 252 HP / 144 Def / 112 SpD
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Slack Off
- Stone Edge/ Toxic/ Whirlwind

Defensive Rocky Helmet Garchomp could also be an option, but leaves you very vulnerable to Sand Rush Excadrill due to its lack of recovery.

Edit: Hippowdon also helps you with Mega Mane which is a big threat to your team as you already mentioned.

Last edited:
baddi said:
Very solid team in my opinion, just a minor detail: Your team seems to have trouble dealing with Bisharp as you have no safe switch-ins. Therefore I suggest replacing Lando-T with mixed defensive Hippowdon:

Hippowdon @ Leftovers
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Slack Off

Defensive Rocky Helmet Garchomp could also be an option, but leaves you very vulnerable to Sand Rush Excadrill due to its lack of recovery.
I agree with changing lando to hippo as it helps stop bisharp from destroying whenever it get the switch initiative. To replace aegi if you want to adapt this team to outside of suspect test you could get a bisharp of your own, this could help stop unaware clef from just running through your team whenever it gets a few boosts and the powerful sucker punches give you the priority to shut down fast sweepers when thundy can't. I recommend running jolly bisharp with lo and lowkick since you lack fighting type moves and since you dont have pursuit life orb is giving you more damage.

Hippowdon @ Leftovers
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Slack Off

Thanks a lot! I'll try that out. Should I run excadrill instead of starmie due to the sand?

I agree with changing lando to hippo as it helps stop bisharp from destroying whenever it get the switch initiative. To replace aegi if you want to adapt this team to outside of suspect test you could get a bisharp of your own, this could help stop unaware clef from just running through your team whenever it gets a few boosts and the powerful sucker punches give you the priority to shut down fast sweepers when thundy can't. I recommend running jolly bisharp with lo and lowkick since you lack fighting type moves and since you dont have pursuit life orb is giving you more damage.
Thanks! Bisharp sounds like a good choice. So if I replace lando with hippo, should I replace aegi with bisharp/ exca/ weavile. Thing is, if I use exca then I can replace starmie for one of the two. Weavile helps with my lando problem. Thanks again!

Thanks a lot! I'll try that out. Should I run excadrill instead of starmie due to the sand?
Honestly, I would not run Exca over Starmie, as Starmie is your only reliable Keldeo switch-in. For this reason, I would replace Reflect Type with Psyshock to beat SubCM variants, too.

If you want to replace Aegi, I recommend using a bulky Steel Type to handle Fairys and Dragons. Excadrill could work and would create a great Sand Rush core together with Hippowdon. Furthermore, because Starmie already provides Rapid Spin suppoert, you could run frustration to hit Rotom harder or even use SD to boost your attack. As YUNG GOAT already said Bisharp is an option, too. Unfortunatelly, both do not have the greatest bulk and take a lot of damage from Dragon and Fairy STABs. So I would not advise using them.

My personal choice would be Jirachi instead of Aegislash. It basically counters/checks the same Pokemon like the Lati twins, Mega Altaria, Mega Diancie, Mega Metagross etc. So in my opinion we do not really need Aegislash in OU, as we already have a pokemon to counter all the stuff we want to bring Aegi for without adding a counterless pokemon to the metagame. But I guess I differ from the subject.
Jirachi is also a very versatile Mon. You can run the SubToxic, a Wish Support or a Choice Scarf Set. Even the classic Paraflincher could do the job. But that’s up to you.

Hope I helped.

Last edited:
Honestly, I would not run Exca over Starmie, as Starmie is your only reliable Keldeo switch-in. For this reason, I would replace Reflect Type with Psyshock to beat SubCM variants, too.

If you want to replace Aegi, I recommend using a bulky Steel Type to handle Fairys and Dragons. Excadrill could work and would create a great Sand Rush core together with Hippowdon. Furthermore, because Starmie already provides Rapid Spin suppoert, you could run frustration to hit Rotom harder or even use SD to boost your attack. As YUNG GOAT already said Bisharp is an option, too. Unfortunatelly, both do not have the greatest bulk and take a lot of damage from Dragon and Fairy STABs. So I would not advise using them.

My personal choice would be Jirachi instead of Aegislash. It basically counters/checks the same Pokemon like the Lati twins, Mega Altaria, Mega Diancie, Mega Metagross etc. So in my opinion we do not really need Aegislash in OU, as we already have a pokemon to counter all the stuff we want to bring Aegi for without adding a counterless pokemon to the metagame. But I guess I differ from the subject.
Jirachi is also a very versatile Mon. You can run the SubToxic, a Wish Support or a Choice Scarf Set. Even the classic Paraflincher could do the job. But that’s up to you.

Hope I helped.
Yeah, that's true. I'll be keeping Starmie then. Bisharp, Excadrill and Jirachi all sound like extremely viable options, which I'll try out. Currently though, I am using a Banded Scizor as that gives a very strong priority and it's really fun to spam u-turn and then spam u-turn on lando and volt switch on thundurus. It also helps with the Landorus-I weakness that I used to have as bp really hurts it. Thanks again!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)