ORAS NU Semi-Defensive NU team

Which pokémon is/are the weakest in this team and should probably be replaced or changed?

• Total voters
| Description |

Recently I've created this team with some help from the NU chat room.
Thanks to everyone over there who wanted to help me out to build an awesome team.

As with every team, it has a few flaws but there are enough good things to make up for it.
So let's look at what this team is about.

| + And - |
s
+

• This team is for the most part defensive, and can take a couple of hits.
    • While being somewhat defensive, all of the pokémon are capable of dishing out a fair amount of damage.
    • Mega-Audino makes sure every pokémon stays on the battlefield for quite some time, with the use of heal bell and wish.
    • Every pokémon on this team (except Prinplup) has an immunity to at least one type.
.-
  • The only type that doesn't get resisted on this team is ground, which is a common type under the form of Earthquake.
  • Unless you decide to switch Magneton's Choice Specs for Choice Scarf, you won't be outspeeding a lot of things.
Conclusion:
The main goal of this team to outsustain the opponent (3 Pokémon with self-healing moves) while
being able to hit hard (with some setup).

________________________________________________________________________________

Let's jump into the details with the team's pokémon, abilities, items and stats.

Lead:

Prinplup @ Eviolite
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Stealth Rock
- Defog
- Toxic

This is going to be your lead 90% of the time.
The only time you don't want to lead with Prinplum is when you see a ferroseed.
Because ferroseed will just laugh at you.
Obviously Stealth Rock is a must have on every team.
Defog is useful for removing all entry hazards on the field.
Scald for burn chance.
And toxic if you want to wear down annoying walls.

Offensive Mixed Wall:

Audino @ Audinite
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Heal Bell
- Dazzling Gleam
- Wish

The best cleric in the tier.
Status? don't think so.
It gets Calm Mind to boost the uninvested Special Defense and Special Attack.
Now you have a perfect offensive mixed wall that can sustain itself for quite some time.
Upon mega-evolving you get a nice STAB in the form of dazzling gleam.

Bulky Physical Attacker:

Malamar @ Leftovers
Ability: Contrary
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Superpower
- Knock Off
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

A standard Malamar set, but really effective.
It doesn't need a lot of power because his ability does the job.
Superpower and Knock Off is enough to give Malamar good type coverage.
(Watch out for pokémon holding Colbur Berry)
He also has Rest-Talk for excellent sustain.
(Can be used as sleep fodder)
You might want to switch Malamar in on a wall.

Wallbreaker (physical):

Golurk @ Choice Band
Ability: Iron Fist
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 72 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def 184 Spd (Thanks to Winter's Howl: Now you outspeed 210 speed pokémon)
Adamant Jolly Nature
- Ice Punch
- Drain Punch
- Shadow Punch
- Earthquake

Golurk is very slow, but is so good at breaking walls that even Miley Cyrus is jealous.
Using the unusual ability Iron Fist, it powers up 3 of his moves:
- Ice Punch is there for great coverage.
- Drain Punch is there for coverage and sustain.
- Shadow Punch, most powerful on Golurk, is there for great stab.
And to top it off, we have a nice powerful, never missing, stab EQ.

Specially Offensive Steel Trapper:

Magneton @ Choice Specs / Choice Scarf
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Flash Cannon

Welcome back my friend!
He spent some time in RU and finally came back.
In the first place Magneton is an excellent steel trapper.
In this case follow the first set:
HP fire to destroy steel types.
T-bolt for great stab.
Volt Switch for switch initiative.
And Flash Cannon your second stab.

However, since there aren't a lot of steel types to trap, you can always follow the second set.

Magneton @ Choice Specs / Eviolite
Ability: Analytic
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA
Modest Nature
IVs: 30 Atk / 30 SpA / 0 Spe
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Flash Cannon

This set is meant to take some hits while being extremely powerful.
Again, the item choice is up to you, whatever fits your team the best.
(Moves are the same)

Lategame Sweeper:

Zangoose @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Toxic Boost
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Quick Attack
- Facade
- Close Combat

Zangoose is capable of wrecking the opponent lategame.
Facade becomes incredibly powerful in combination with toxic orb, and toxic boost.
Quick Attack is usefull if the opponent has faster glass cannons.
Knock Off wipes out any Psychic/Ghost type (without Colbur Berry)
And Close Combat will deal with some pokémon that resist Knock Off and Facade.

I've put a lot of effort in making this team, and making this thread.
Now it's up to you!

Test it out, and leave your thoughts down here.

Before you write anything down, I want to address that I will only read constructive feedback, that if you suggest a different pokémon or moveset on this team, you give enough reasons why.

Thanks for reading it the whole way through! :D

Last edited:
Hey man!

Nice team you have here, really well synergized and built to a great level of quality, the team really isn't weak to much thanks to that core of bulky pokemon you have going, which is really a pain to stop, which often end in free, easy wins from frustrated opponents who can't break your core, which is exactly what you want. So really good job on that.

As far as the team goes, I feel like Zangoose doesn't fit in to the main ethic of this team. Ideally, in zangooses spot, you wouldn't have a glass cannon, but instead a Mon that has the capability to clean up in the late game, magneton can do that to an extent, but it really isn't going to cut the mustard, it lacks power (if you scarf it) and speed (if you go against scarf).
My suggestion will hopefully alleviate this problem. I'm going to suggest Eviolite SD Sneasel > Zangoose.
Due to the synergy sneasel has with the rest of your team, it seemed logical that this should be your late game cleaner of choice. Golurk scares out stuff like Garbodor which are annoying and mega Audino can take on the inevitable priority hits and gurdurr that mayel decide to rain on sneasel parade.
Overall, I don't feel like the team is weak to much else, Golurk really fits into the core perfectly, so if you are considering future changes apart from this one, Golurk will be integral.

Sneasel @ Eviolite
Ability: Inner Focus
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Ice Shard
- Knock Off
- Icicle Crash / Low Kick

good luck for the future,
~HJAD

hi there

agreeing with hjad that zangoose doesnt really fit on this team considering how fat the team is, and zangoose + heal bell doesnt really mix well. I also think that having steel trapper magneton is kind of a waste if you dont have many mons that appreciate steels being trapped. Also some stuff like lilligant can be very problematic because mega audino isnt really a great check.

In order to remedy this, i'm gonna suggest going with Swords Dance Fletchinder > Zangoose. Fletch provides you with a bonafide win condition, excellent revenge killer, and synergizes extremely well with your team. Fletch also works well with trapping Magneton to remove problematic steel types that fletch cant break.

Im also going to suggest that you run Hidden Power Ground > Hidden Power Fire on Magneton as it hits everything just has hard, except it also hits Lanturn and Stunfisk, as well keeping an extra speed IV which can help tie other HP ground magnetons or outspeed HP fire magnetons by 1 point.

Last suggestion is to change Wish CM Mega Dino --> Cro Mega Dino. Wish CM isnt really a great set because Wish is pretty unreliable without protect. I feel like the only thing that really could use the wish support is prinplup and one mon isnt really worth running a sub-optimal set. CroDino provides a pivot with pretty reliable recovery, and a much more consistent win condition, especially when Magneton traps steels and golurk beats a lot of common poison types.

Cool team.

: Hidden Power Ground > Hidden Power Fire

Fletchinder | Gale Wings
112 HP / 252 Atk / 144 Spe | Adamant
Acrobatics | Swords Dance | Roost | Will-O-Wisp / Taunt

Audino @ Audinite | Regenerator -> Healer
232 HP / 252 Def / 16 SpAtk | Bold
Rest | Sleep Talk | Calm Mind | Dazzling Gleam

Thnx for the great suggestions. I've discussed my team further in the NU lobby. Instead of Golurk, I now have Haunter. This solved the speed problem that I had. Also gave it giga drain to get rid of quagsire, sandslash, ...
I changed HP fire on magneton to HP ground since it's the best thing to do. A different speedy physical attacker might be useful. I could consider sneasel or fletchinder. I just don't know which one fits better on my team. This will solve the problem I have with teams that try to set up. Priority is nice.
So since I'm changing Zangoose, I don't think changing Mega Audino's set is necessairy. I could try the rest-talk set since I'd have 2 immunities to Toxic, Rest-talk Malamar and Mega Audino.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)