ORAS OU My First Team

So i've not got a few runs with this team so far and its handled itself fairly well but I still would like an extra set of eyes to look it over for me.

Team Building Process: When I started I made my first pick as Talonflame to take advantage of Gale Wings and Priority Brave Bird. Then I figured Having a good counter to other fairy's and dragons would be a good idea so origionaly I had Mega Gardevior and switched it out for Sylveon after seeing how easily Gardevior was taken out. I ended up using Sylveon as more of a cleric/dragon and fairy counter than just the counter option. Latios was my Dragon and I went for more of a support idea for him to make things go a little easier in the long run for him. Roserade is my lead because of her use of Toxic Spikes and ability fo cover water types. Keldeo is a smash and grab kind of guy he uses the STAB Hydro Pump and STAB Secret Sword to get across what he can do. Bisharp went in as a last minute idea to cover Fairies better and as a way to hit hard while still holding his ground.

Talonflame @ Leftovers
Ability: Gale Wings
Nature: Jolly
EV's: 252 ATK, 4 Sp.D, 252 Spe
Moves:
Brave Bird
Flare Blitz
U-Turn
Steel Wing

I chose Talonflame because admittedly it astounded me how effective the priority Brave Bird worked out in my playthrough of Y and I wanted to have a hand at using it in competitive play. Flare Blitz was used as a secondary STAB move and Steel Wing covers fairies. U-Turn I used to give Talonflame the option to do damage and switch setting up for another mon to come in and score the KO.

Sylveon @ Leftovers
Ability: Pixilate
Nature: Bold
EV's: 252 HP, 220 DEF, 36 Sp.D
Moves:
Hyper Voice
Wish
Heal Bell
Protect

Sylveon I'm using as a kind of cleric/dragon hunter Pixilate allows Hyper Voice to be a STAB move and the others are for healing and stalling so I can think out the strategy a bit. And again I'm going to sound like a noob but Sylveon became a choice after remembering that even though i've beaten the story on a lot of the Pokemon games in the past it was the very first Pokemon I had ever gotten to lvl100

Latios @ Light Clay
Ability: Levitate
Nature: Timid
EV's: 248 HP, 8 Sp.A, 252 Spe
Moves:
Light Screen
Draco Meteor
Memento
Reflect

Latios is here acting as a secondary Dragon cover and as a bulky sheild and Memento user. I decided to make him faster to try and make Memento hit first in some situations but I try to avoid using Memento if I don't have to.

Roserade @ Focus Sash
Ability: Natural Cure
EV's: 4 HP, 252 Sp.A, 252 Spe
Moves:
Toxic Spikes
Sleep Powder
Leaf Storn
Hidden Power (Fire)

Roserade was a choice I made because I needed to get a hazard thrower onto my team and I decided that Toxic Spikes would be the best choice. After that it was a decision of how to give her STAB and coverage and I feel like I may have messed her up on the choices there.

Keldeo @ Leftovers
Ability: Justified
EV's: 4 HP, 252 Sp.A, 252 Spe
Moves:
Hydro Pump
Secret Sword
Hidden Power (Ice)
Calm Mind

Keldeo was my coverage to Fire types and even Rock and Ground coverage. Hidden Power Ice was to cover for Dragon types and making him faster was as simple as trying to get the moves off faster.

Bisharp @ Life Orb
Ability: Inner Focus
Nature: Naive
EV's: 252 ATK, 4 Sp.A, 252 Spe
Moves:
Dark Pulse
Iron Head
Swords Dance
Return

Bisharp was my choice to help cover Fary types and allow me to hit hard with Dark Pulse and Iron head I typically send him in after setting up Light Screen from Latios that way he can use Swords Dance and get the boost there before hitting the target with Iron Head.

It feels like a solid team I just feel like it may have a weakness I'm not seeing at the moment. (This team was formed after hours of just trial and error and also some timely research) The only reall weakness I've noticed would be Volt Tackle and Electric Types in general this was pointed out to my but a Raikou on a team that practically ripped appart most of my options.

Last edited:
Fren, you need to include descriptions for each pokemon, and sprites for each pokemon would help with organization. There is a RMT Rules stickied to the top. Consider reading it before it gets locked by a mod.

Let me start by saying that having a mega in this tier helps a lot. Some of your sets do not like as much as the lack of psycho attacks, lack of defog or spinner with Talonflame in team, leftovers Keldeo without the sub-cm, leftovers talonflame and lacks roost on it, also other... There are some improvements to be done perhaps more than some in my opinion.

I do not say this with malice, but rather to help you improve <3

I apreciate the help and yeah in my last battle hazards ripped me appart so i'm looking to find a decent spinner to possibly take Bisharps spot.

(edit)

Okay so after tweaking with things a bit I've got a new set up here.

Team Building Process: So after the suggestions made to me I went through and started tweaking with move sets and items and such so Forretress has been added and took Roserade's place as lead Latios became Mega Latios with a focus on more of an attacking buils and Sylveon became an attacking Cleric. Also Talonflame, Roserade, and Keldeo all got tweaks to their movesets.

Talonflame Leftovers
EV's: 252 Atk, 4 Sp.Def, 252 Spe
Moves:
Brave Bird
Flare Blitz
Roost
Steel Wing/U-Turn

I chose to keep Steel Wing over U-Turn so I could have a semi reliable Fairy coverage move and still be able to swap things out for U-Turn if things dont work out.

Sylveon Leftovers
Nature: Calm
EV's: 252 HP, 4 Sp.Atk, 252 Sp.Def
Moves:
Hyper Voice
Wish
Draining Kiss
Heal Bell

So I made Sylveon more like a cleric and added some STAB moves to allow her to attack and heal.

Roserade Focus sash
Ability: Posion Point
EV's: 4 HP, 252 Sp.Atk, 252 Spe
Moves:
Leaf Storm
Hidden Power (Ground)
Giga Drain
Toxic

This one got a good chunk of changes by changing the HP to Ground type to cover for Electric Types and taking Toxic Spikes away for Toxic and also swapping Sleep Powder for Giga Drain. I went with this set up to allow her to have some longevity and be able to take out some of the bulky water types out there.

Mega Latios@ Latiosite
Nature: Hasty
EV's: 252 HP, 4 Sp.Atk, 252 Spe
Moves:
Dragon Dance
Draco Meteor
Psychic
Protect

I went with this both to have a Mega and to allow him to be an attacker instead of a sheild Using Psychic and having Dragon Dance to boost stats.

Keldeo Leftovers
Moves:
Hydro Pump
Substitute
Secret Sword
Calm Mind

This one made a lot more sense after i actually went through and did the change It and this way he still have his STAB move in Hydro Pump and Secret Sword for coverage.

Forretress Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
Nature: Impish
EV's: 252 HP, 252 Def, 4 Sp.Def
Rapid Spin
Spikes
Toxic Spikes
Stealth Rock

With this i went with the most basic in Hazard Control I could think of and Forretress seemed to be the thing that popped up the most so I went with it and ran for all the hell I could catch. He seems to perform well and I havent encountered too many issues yet.

Last edited:
It is better now...

As for the team, most of the things you are using are outclassed by other pokemon performing a similar role.

Talonflame:

move 1: Bulk Up
move 2: Brave Bird
move 3: Roost
move 4: Taunt
ability: Gale Wings
item: Leftovers
nature: Careful
evs: 248 HP / 184 SpD / 76 Spe

is a better set than what you have now. You currently have a choice band-like moveset, despite having an item better for SpDef or Bulk Up Flame.
Klefki > Lati@s. Assuming you like the functionality of screens, Klefki does it better. With a plethora of resistances plus prankster, Klefki can get you both screens up most of the time plus providing prankster twave support. Dazzling Gleam helps damage mega sceptile who otherwise beats your team after flame is gone.

Here is some logic I see: Megas theoretically present some of the best power in OU. You also appear to be going for a Bulky Offense or Balanced approach.

The goal with screens is to have something exploit them, something that sets up. You need something somewhat bulky, so that it can take nearly any hit(s) when behind the screens. What if you took the best of both worlds?

-Add Mega Altaria (DD).

This gives you a bulky mon that can take nearly any hits, while spamming DD. Earthquake + Return is nearly perfect coverage, and only Skarmary (when not on roost) and Talonflame/ZardY can realistically live multiple hits. Even SD Talonflame struggles, as its lack of bulk forces it to Roost a lot, meaning it becomes chow for Earthquake. As for the rest of them, they are not overly hard to take out, all of them have easy methods of elimination.

Since this will give you two fairies, a steel type, and a dragon type, you have a nice FDS core, giving you a switch in to most things. Keldeo is extremely viable, leaving you with 2 more slots.
If you go TFlame/Keldeo/Klefki/Altaria-M, then you have two more slots for two more obligations. Hazards and Hazard removal. Hazards (Rocks) are pretty easy to find. You also need something that can check Talonflame. As it turns out, this combination is not uncommon. I will give you some options, since it is your team. Tyranitar, Hippowdown, Tank Garchomp, and Heatran all do pretty well. Keeping in mind your last need, you can consider who learns Rapid Spin or Defog as well. In OU, Rapid spin users are Starmie and Excadrill (Tentacruel on STALL teams only). Starmie does not provide that much coverage for you, whereas Excadrill can provide Rapid Spin and StoneQuake coverage for you. Excadrill has sand rush, and two of the items I listed (Hippo + Ttar) provide sand. Just an idea, but using a sand duo could be nice, as that gives you the other utilities you need.

-Give Bisharp Knock off > Dark Pulse
-Give Substitute to Keldeo over HP ice.

EDIT: Realized I changed more than 1/2 the team. Since that kind of takes the homemade aspect out of it for you, you may want to disregard most of what I said. I kept it because seeing how a team can be build could be beneficial. I would recommend looking at some RMTs, and seeing what most teams have in common.

Well after my most recent Edit i realized that Ferrothorn can rip this team appart and an Azumarill with Belly drum almost completely swept this team so I figured an Electric Type could do well in place of Roserade and I was thinking Mega Manectric that way Latios could remain a special attacker but lose the mega and I could use Volt-Switch, HP Ice, Protect, and Overheat on Mega Manectric as its move set.

Well after my most recent Edit i realized that Ferrothorn can rip this team appart and an Azumarill with Belly drum almost completely swept this team so I figured an Electric Type could do well in place of Roserade and I was thinking Mega Manectric that way Latios could remain a special attacker but lose the mega and I could use Volt-Switch, HP Ice, Protect, and Overheat on Mega Manectric as its move set.
I dislike Mega Latias. Outside of my changing everything, I woulse use AV Raikou, and then use normal latios with Defog, then you can use use something like Garchomp or something similar for Stealth Rocks and a Talon Check. Garchomp also checks BD Azu (Not in a pretty way, but it kills it). These also tend to be more consistent than Forretress, as he is just taunt bait.

I would then replace Sylveon with CLERIC or DD Mega Altaria.

Altaria @ Altarianite
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Return
- Earthquake
- Roost

OR

Altaria @ Altarianite
Ability: Cloud Nine
EVs: 248 HP / 104 Def / 156 SpD
Bold Nature
- Roost
- Hyper Voice
- Heal Bell
- Fire Blast/Flamethrower

Your approach to many of these Pokemon is just uneducated. I do not wish to be offensive, but these sets are highly mediocre compared to their optimized counterparts. For example, Brave Bird hits harder then Steel Wing of Fairies if not resisted, and Leftovers are not used unless it is the Stallbreaker Talonflame set.

Sylveon is just inferior to Clefable as a cleric, and finds its place as a very hard hitting Specs attacker. Even when using the cleric set, Moonlight is advisable over Draining Kiss, as the lack of viable recovery hurts it.

As for Roserade, this Pokemon absolutely needs Sludge Bomb, or else it gets beaten by the Fairies which it is supposed to counter.

I will be honest. Mega Latios already struggles as a viable Mega, and this set is absolutely terrible. Though the Dragon Dance set is already outclassed by Megazard X, using special moves with a physical attack boosting move is just foolish. Also, Roost or Recover are best far better than Protect for setting up. Either transition to Megazard X Dragon Dance or to a standard all out special Latios set.

Keldeo looks good aside from two things: Timid is the best nature for all Keldeo sets and Scald is better than Hydro Pump for Sub/CM.

Forretress is unviable. It serves as set up fodder and does the job of Ferrothorn/Scizor/Starmie worse. As such I would recommend using the OU ultility Ferrothorn set or the Defog Scizor set. Defensive Reflect Type spinner Starmie is also a good hazard remover if this is your goal.

Message me if you question any of this or are interested in sets. I would recommend using the Smogon Prelimary Pokedex along with the OU viability ranking list to choose advisable Pokemon and sets for any teams. Good luck and have a nice day!

I woulse use AV Raikou, and then use normal latios with Defog, then you can use use something like Garchomp or something similar for Stealth Rocks and a Talon Check. Garchomp also checks BD Azu (Not in a pretty way, but it kills it).
If you could give me some builds for these guys that would be great and I wanted to thank you all again for all the help and Options you guys are giving me. Also the only ability I seem to be eble to get for M-Altaria is Pixilate

Last edited:
You use Altaria, then give it a mega stone. Same functionality.

Raikou @ Assault Vest
EVs: 252 SpA / 32 SpD / 224 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power Ice
- Shadow Ball

Garchomp @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 252 HP / 164 Def / 76 SpD / 16 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Dragon Tail
- Fire Blast

Latios @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Defog
- Roost

Well after playing throughout the night I've made some tweaks and so here is version 2.0 actually its closer to like 2.3 but you get the idea.

Team building Process: So after the help I had recieved from you guys I had at that point already swapped out Roserade for a Mega Manectric but that wasnt working out as well as i had liked and Forretress wasnt holding up well much against mons like Ferrothorn so I looked through the options I had in fron of me and this is what I had come up with.

Talonflame Leftovers
Moves:
Brave Bird
Flare Blitz
Roost
U-Turn

I took some advice and got rid of Steel Wing in its place went U-Turn that way I have the swap out for it and I still can recover and deal damage.

Garchomp @ Rocky Helmet
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Dragon Tail
- Fire Blast

I chose to use Garchomp because he seemed like a great way to get stealth rock out while still hitting a lot of the bigger things Ive gad to deal with.

Raikou @ Assault Vest
Ability: Pressure
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power Ice
- Shadow Ball

As unfortunate as it is I cant seem to use Volt Absorb with this guy I don't know if its been banned or if im just challenged but Raikou has worked pretty well for me so far and I really have enjoyed using him.

Altaria @ Altarianite
Bold Nature
- Roost
- Hyper Voice
- Heal Bell

For this I went with Fire Blast but I still enjoy using the set and Altaria has worked well as a cleric type of mon for me though it seems rather frail.

Keldeo Leftovers
Moves:
Hydro Pump
Substitute
Secret Sword
Scald

So with Keldeo I had gotten rid of Calm Mind in favor of Scald that way I could test the two STAB water moves and running both was a good option for me The EV build might need a little tweaking but this build seems to work fine.

Scizor @ Leftovers
Ability: Technician
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
-Bullet Punch
-U-Turn
-Defog
-Roost

I swapped Forretress out for Scizor as a hazard control that way I still had Fary Types covered and a fairly easy way to hit hard and fast in the process. This guy has won me a few games actually and I've loved every second of it.

Well theres the new team Let me know if theres anything else you would suggest or if theres any sets that need changing.

Well after playing throughout the night I've made some tweaks and so here is version 2.0 actually its closer to like 2.3 but you get the idea.

Team building Process: So after the help I had recieved from you guys I had at that point already swapped out Roserade for a Mega Manectric but that wasnt working out as well as i had liked and Forretress wasnt holding up well much against mons like Ferrothorn so I looked through the options I had in fron of me and this is what I had come up with.

Talonflame Leftovers
Moves:
Brave Bird
Flare Blitz
Roost
U-Turn

I took some advice and got rid of Steel Wing in its place went U-Turn that way I have the swap out for it and I still can recover and deal damage.

Garchomp @ Rocky Helmet
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Dragon Tail
- Fire Blast

I chose to use Garchomp because he seemed like a great way to get stealth rock out while still hitting a lot of the bigger things Ive gad to deal with.

Raikou @ Assault Vest
Ability: Pressure
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power Ice
- Shadow Ball

As unfortunate as it is I cant seem to use Volt Absorb with this guy I don't know if its been banned or if im just challenged but Raikou has worked pretty well for me so far and I really have enjoyed using him.

Altaria @ Altarianite
Bold Nature
- Roost
- Hyper Voice
- Heal Bell

For this I went with Fire Blast but I still enjoy using the set and Altaria has worked well as a cleric type of mon for me though it seems rather frail.

Keldeo Leftovers
Moves:
Hydro Pump
Substitute
Secret Sword
Scald

So with Keldeo I had gotten rid of Calm Mind in favor of Scald that way I could test the two STAB water moves and running both was a good option for me The EV build might need a little tweaking but this build seems to work fine.

Scizor @ Leftovers
Ability: Technician
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
-Bullet Punch
-U-Turn
-Defog
-Roost

I swapped Forretress out for Scizor as a hazard control that way I still had Fary Types covered and a fairly easy way to hit hard and fast in the process. This guy has won me a few games actually and I've loved every second of it.

Well theres the new team Let me know if theres anything else you would suggest or if theres any sets that need changing.
This team is so much stronger than it originally was! The power shift is certainly noticeable. Only one more thing that I can think of looking over it. For Substitute Keldeo, Calm Mind is usually run along side it, as this can turn Keldeo into a powerful stall breaker. I would recommend changing Hydro Pump with Calm Mind and a Timid Nature in favor of Hasty.
This team has come a long way man, keep it up and keep getting stronger!

thanks and yeah I swapped Hydro Pump out for Calm Mind shortly after posting this and yeah im loving it but not im encountering an issue with things like Fighting Types or even Mega Lopunny any ideas?

I am struggling that was supposed to say now but my fingers are not very intelegent beings. Any way yes I am struggling with fighting types and primarrily Mega Lopunny she just comes in and decimates a good chunk of my strategies and I pretty much have to luck out to beat her.

I am struggling that was supposed to say now but my fingers are not very intelegent beings. Any way yes I am struggling with fighting types and primarrily Mega Lopunny she just comes in and decimates a good chunk of my strategies and I pretty much have to luck out to beat her.
Mega Bunny is hard for most teams to deal with. You just have to correctly predict with MAlt and Talonflame. This team does not struggle with Fightings as a whole, though. Just the way you are approaching it most likely.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)