What country(/ies) do you want to visit the most?

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
The UK has pretty much everything I could want compressed in a small area, and I'm also a strong advocate for people seeing all of their own country before swanning off to other continents. So that said, I don't have too much desire to travel at the moment...but the one thing the UK lacks is sunshine! I was in Barcelona last year and finally understood that sunglasses have a function beyond concealing your hangover. So if I were to travel anytime soon, it'd be to a country with high temperatures, wall-to-wall sunshine and beautiful beaches. For those, and the reasons stated in the OP, Greece has always been an appealing one. I have been meaning to go every year for the past 3~ years but the situation over there keeps thwarting me...
Greece?

You mean my hometown-- Hawaii ;)

america and canada so i can do meet ups with smogon friends :o
pretty much anywhere tbh, i love travelling and meeting new people. particularly would like to go to japan because that would be a cool experience

Lee

@ Thick Club
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
re: New Zealand...it's a beautiful country with wonderfully friendly people but it annoys me how it has become such a fashionable destination for UK tourists given that it's like 50,000 light years away and costs about a thousand quid just to get on the plane. These same people who claim to be Christopher fucking McCandless reborn but look blankly when you mention any of the wilder areas of their native UK.

Let's play a game. No cheating and looking at the URLs because if you do that you're a cunt. 6 pictures in the hide box...which are the UK and which are NZ?

I lied. They're all UK. Could've saved yourself a grand mate.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
I am going to Norway for exchange in August which I am really excited about. Me and my friends have already made plans to go many parts of Europe. Thanks the lucky stars I managed to get a scholarship, giving me 9900 pounds that can cover my expenses.
May I ask where you're going?

As for me, I'd like to see more of my own country, Norway that is, but if I could travel anywhere I wanted abroad, I'd like to go to the US. Not sure where in the US, though.

May I ask where you're going?

As for me, I'd like to see more of my own country, Norway that is, but if I could travel anywhere I wanted abroad, I'd like to go to the US. Not sure where in the US, though.
I will be going to BI Norwegian Business School in Oslo. I have no idea which part of Norway to explore yet, quite busy with school work currently. I also have made plans to go Oktofest, La Tomatina festival and some others if I find some time to plan.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
Aha. My university in Trondheim receives a lot of foreign exchange students, but I suppose BI in Oslo does too.

As for what to explore in Norway... I guess it can be summed up briefly: The mountains, the fjords, and the north. If you get time, travel to Tromsø or all the way to North Cape. If you go in summer, the days will be very long, and if you go in winter it'll be dark most of the time. Spring and autumn... well, somewhere in between I guess. At any rate, it'll be an experience. If you live in an area with many international students, I think there will be organized trips and people sharing tips and all that for most of the year. Just hear what other people plan to do/have done.

I also recommend checking out the forests around Oslo. Hiking is a very popular pastime, and there are many destinations to set out for. Bring some lunch, a mat to sit on, and just spend a few hours out there. It's said that no point in Oslo - apart from maybe the islands - is more than half an hour's travel away from the thick of the woods, so this can be done in the afternoon/evening if you like. Lots of things to see, and you'll find many Norwegians to be more "open" when they're out in the woods.

Aha. My university in Trondheim receives a lot of foreign exchange students, but I suppose BI in Oslo does too.

As for what to explore in Norway... I guess it can be summed up briefly: The mountains, the fjords, and the north. If you get time, travel to Tromsø or all the way to North Cape. If you go in summer, the days will be very long, and if you go in winter it'll be dark most of the time. Spring and autumn... well, somewhere in between I guess. At any rate, it'll be an experience. If you live in an area with many international students, I think there will be organized trips and people sharing tips and all that for most of the year. Just hear what other people plan to do/have done.

I also recommend checking out the forests around Oslo. Hiking is a very popular pastime, and there are many destinations to set out for. Bring some lunch, a mat to sit on, and just spend a few hours out there. It's said that no point in Oslo - apart from maybe the islands - is more than half an hour's travel away from the thick of the woods, so this can be done in the afternoon/evening if you like. Lots of things to see, and you'll find many Norwegians to be more "open" when they're out in the woods.
Thanks for your tips. I keep that in mind. I'm going in August which I assume it's autumn there. My seniors told me that to go hiking ASAP because once the winter comes, the hiking area will be closed.

I also definitely want to go and see the Northern Lights, do you know which periods are the best to go? Another question, when travelling to other parts of Norway and Europe, is it better to travel by railway (such as Eurorail) or planes? Sorry if I sound amateurish, I come from a country that you can reach from one end to the other end within 2 hours so the sizes of many countries overwhelm me.

Also, it's pretty damn expensive in Norway, looking at the cost of living I want to cry T.T

Last edited:

Codraroll

Cod Mod
The northern lights are there pretty much all the time, but they're only visible at night. In winter when skies are clear would be your best bet.

Also, the hiking trails don't necessarily close in winter. Only if there's snow (used to be almost guaranteed after mid-November, but we've had several bad winters in a row now). Then they start preparing ski tracks instead, and the forests become more crowded than ever.

As for going to the rest of Europe... well, plane is quick and convenient, but rail is way cheaper. See what you can afford. Taking the Bergen railroad in late autumn is recommended, however. Quite a scenic trip.

Given that I live in Hawaii, any place that is cold and faraway fascinates me, which is why I want to visit the northernmost permanent settlement in the world, Svalbard, Norway. Despite its small population of 2,642, it has everything larger communities have, such as: primary and secondary school, university, sports center with a swimming pool, library, culture center, cinema, bus transport, hotels, a bank, and multiple museums. Plus you can go out on little rafts and take pictures of glaciers.

Cresselia~~

Junichi Masuda likes this!!
I actually want to go to Hawaii as well.
I heard it's a wonderful little place that is different from the rest of USA.

I really want to go to Japan, simply to see how accurate the first two gens were in interpreting Kanto and Kansai (Johto).

When I got enough money I'm buying a second house in Rome (or somewhere else in Italy might be cheaper). Fucking love that city/country.

Am I allowed to say my own country (U.S.)? I travel a fair bit but I feel like I haven't appreciated this country enough until recently. As an avid hiker, there's so much to see and do here.

Otherwise, probably Iceland, Scotland, or Ireland.

Australia (Might have a shot of getting an internship there if my application is accepted) and USA.

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Am I allowed to say my own country (U.S.)? I travel a fair bit but I feel like I haven't appreciated this country enough until recently. As an avid hiker, there's so much to see and do here.

I think it's a bit different in countries as ginormous as the US-- there are definitely lots of places in my own country I'd find more foreign and unfamiliar than places I've lived abroad.

Cresselia~~

Junichi Masuda likes this!!

I think it's fair. USA is really big compared to other countries, there's much more to explore and different states can feel very different.
Also, I think it's a good thing to love your own country. (But not to the extent that you feel that having a war is the right thing to do.)

I'd loooooove to visit Japan so I can play Pokken. Kekekekeke.

But also, I'd like to visit Thailand so I can learn more deeply Theravada Buddhism, and so I can train my Muay Thai stronger, too. Visiting Germany sounds like a nice place for me to build a muscular physique too, maybe... I have a little friend there, so to speak.

USA, I can't decide where though. I've been reading and looking at photos on the Internet.

I wouldn't mind visiting Iceland. My girlfriend has been there and climbed a glacier and swam in the hot springs. That'd be a pretty cool experience!

Joim

Pixels matter
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Oh, a traveling thread, nice. It used to be Japan and the US, now that they are out I plan to visit Australia and New Zealand later this year. The first for the people and sheer awesomeness, the latter for the landscapes, film scenarios, kiwi birds. Also I want to visit Iceland anytime soon, not planned yet, though.

Fatecrashers

acta est fabula
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Oh, a traveling thread, nice. It used to be Japan and the US, now that they are out I plan to visit Australia and New Zealand later this year. The first for the people and sheer awesomeness, the latter for the landscapes, film scenarios, kiwi birds. Also I want to visit Iceland anytime soon, not planned yet, though.
hey joim if you're serious about this you should meet up with some of us oceanian smogoners i hear we're pretty cool
as for me, i was recently invited to sweden by a good friend so i'll definitely hit that up in the near future, never been to europe before and their rich history and beautiful architecture are absolutely fascinating to me

Hipmonlee

Have a nice day
is a Community Contributoris a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Four-Time Past WCoP Champion
I won Lee's game (in all honesty I didnt really commit about the last two).

To defend UKers coming to NZ, we have a very different wilderness here to what you have in Europe. Plus its way warmer than England (you should definitely bring sunglasses if you are coming in summer).

Having said that, I am definitely with you on seeing your own country (not necessarily first, you have a lot of time to get round it all), its just that NZ and UK are really quite different.

Oh, and actually on topic. Next big trip for me is to the Galapagos. No planning started yet because I still have no money, but probably next winter. There is a lot of places I would like to go but I dont like long plane flights.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)