(Little) Things that annoy you in Pokémon

A list of things that are irritating:

1) GTS is loaded with people asking for stupid trades.
2) Powersaves just has to be a thing. As if we really needed more hackers.
3) Few accurate rock type attacks exist. Tyranitar should not be stuck with crummy rock slide as a STAB alternative to stone edge.
4) Flat battles limit you to 3 Pokémon and still allow things like mega Kang.
5) The PSS gets clogged by Japanese players I can't begin to understand (I know Spanish, can guess at French and German to a degree).
6) The music change option doesn't tell you what theme it is.
7) The dream world went away. Frankly, I found it to be a fresh and nice addition in BW.

One thing that annoys me in Gen 6 is that attacks such as Hydro Pump, Thunder and Fire Blast had reduced BP from 120 (Gen 5 BP) to 110 (Gen 6 BP).
I know! The attacks are STILL inaccurate regardless of the base power. But I guess this is to account for all the many ways physical attackers get screwed (burns, for one).

I know! The attacks are STILL inaccurate regardless of the base power. But I guess this is to account for all the many ways physical attackers get screwed (burns, for one).
Well, many Rock-type moves are, in essence, the Pokémon throwing rocks at the target.
Also, there are some accurate Rock-type moves. I mean, there is Ancient Power, Rock Gem, and Smack Down.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
They added it a few weeks ago, but it got removed again >.>
Kind of defeats a purpose of having a filter list.

A list of things that are irritating:

1) GTS is loaded with people asking for stupid trades.
2) Powersaves just has to be a thing. As if we really needed more hackers.
3) Few accurate rock type attacks exist. Tyranitar should not be stuck with crummy rock slide as a STAB alternative to stone edge.
4) Flat battles limit you to 3 Pokémon and still allow things like mega Kang.
5) The PSS gets clogged by Japanese players I can't begin to understand (I know Spanish, can guess at French and German to a degree).
6) The music change option doesn't tell you what theme it is.
7) The dream world went away. Frankly, I found it to be a fresh and nice addition in BW.
1) GF really needs to put some restrictions on that next Gen. Sadly I think its too late for this Gen.
2) Can't really blame Pokemon and GF for that. Heck, GF had made it easier to breed a good Pokemon as of recent games, but people are just too impatient (which I can sort of understand. Its why I think they should give us an option to increase a Pokemon's IV).
3) Sadly that's the "gimmick" of the physical Rock-type moves. I guess they're going by the concept if you throw a big rock by the time you throw it and it goes through the sky your opponent would have time to dodge. Still it gives Physical Rock-types a harder time not having an accurate STAB they could rely on readily. And do we even need to mention the woes of a Special Rock-type? If it ain't got a gem somewhere on its body or an ancient Pokemon, it's not getting a STAB (and even if it did its not going to be all that powerful).
4) Add Secret Bases also limiting you to 3 Battles. GF I appreciate you wanting to make battles quicker but what if I want a 6-vs-6 battle? If you're that worried about time make the timer to choose a move smaller, but in the end let us decide how many Pokemon we want to use.
5) Must be the time of day you play, whenever I turn on the PSS I usually get players from all over (and yet no matter how hard I tried I never got any to trade Vivillons with me. What, you think I'm showing you my Vivillons because I'm showing off? Though to be fair to a few they knew what I was trying to do but just already had the ones I was willing to offer).
6) Would be nice for them to list them, as I recall the music tracks are just named after who you're battling: Wild, Trainer, Rival, Grunt, Boss, Gym Leader, Elite Four, Champion, Legendary, etc.. Worst for the music for the Battle Resort's overworld where you can't pick what music you want (and resets when your turn off the game). What's the point?
7) Yeah, the Dream World was the biggest waste of time, wasn't it? They gave you a house to buy furniture to decorate and what happen when Gen VI comes? They close it down... Congratulations GF, you just made me never want to spend time on anything that's not directly in the games. Though I guess they considered it a failure (mainly from not caring; of course its going to fail if you don't even try) which is why the new Global Link is bare boned. Thank Arceus they don't require accessing the Dream World to continue the story, though in BW2 that does mean you can't get a few medals/achievements.

One thing that annoys me in Gen 6 is that attacks such as Hydro Pump, Thunder and Fire Blast had reduced BP from 120 (Gen 5 BP) to 110 (Gen 6 BP).
If I recall they said Special Attacks were "too strong" so they reduced their Power. Honestly I don't think decreasing their power by 10 would do much and maybe a better idea would be to look through all the Moves and rebalance them. Heck, I actually consider many of the OP moves to be Physical like Outrage and Close Combat yet they weren't touched. And because of that, Groudon's and Kyogre's new signature moves are imbalanced because Precipice Blade is 120 while Origin Pulse is 110. REALLY? You couldn't let Kyogre's SIGNATURE MOVE be the same as its counterpart?

However I do stand by I think there's another reason for that. All but one Fairy-type attacking Moves are Special (teach those Physical Fairy-types a lesson about being Physical attackers) and what better way to falsely make your brand new type super strong then by weakening the competing moves around it? Flamethrower, Ice Beam, and Thunderbolt got brought down to 90 yet oddly Moonblast was allowed to have 95 Power.

Reactions: JES
2) Can't really blame Pokemon and GF for that. Heck, GF had made it easier to breed a good Pokemon as of recent games, but people are just too impatient (which I can sort of understand. Its why I think they should give us an option to increase a Pokemon's IV).
5) Must be the time of day you play, whenever I turn on the PSS I usually get players from all over (and yet no matter how hard I tried I never got any to trade Vivillons with me. What, you think I'm showing you my Vivillons because I'm showing off? Though to be fair to a few they knew what I was trying to do but just already had the ones I was willing to offer).
7) Yeah, the Dream World was the biggest waste of time, wasn't it? They gave you a house to buy furniture to decorate and what happen when Gen VI comes? They close it down... Congratulations GF, you just made me never want to spend time on anything that's not directly in the games. Though I guess they considered it a failure (mainly from not caring; of course its going to fail if you don't even try) which is why the new Global Link is bare boned. Thank Arceus they don't require accessing the Dream World to continue the story, though in BW2 that does mean you can't get a few medals/achievements.
2) I know it's not their fault (for the longest time, only a few hackers existed in gen 6), but it's still irritating.

5) Doesn't matter the time of day, there's always Japanese players on my PSS. If I could readily translate Japanese, it wouldn't even be a problem (also, message me about which Vivillons you need).

7) I was on the dream world all the time. It was simply wonderful, and was a great method to distribute event Pokemon (if there's a Pokemon anyone here wants in a dream ball, message me. I still have a few left over, and I may be able to help).

One thing that is still pissing me off.

Why does Diancie not get Power gem? It is literally a living Gem Stone and stated directly to be mutated from Carbink, who learns Power Gem. Yes, it has Diamond Storm, but then why is the move on the opposite attacking spectrum? When Kyogre and Groudon got signature moves (which were buffs of regular moves) they remained the same spectrum as the original

Also, I personally think Gamefreak is really out of it if they thought Special Attacks were OP enough to need a nerf. Most of the strongest threats in the game go Physical or at least mixed given the choice, and plenty of Pokemon like Xerneas are basically a suitable Physical STAB away from being able to viably run full Physical sets despite being obviously intended as Special attackers (Geomancy). And every time I compare the biggest attacking types in prior Gens, there's an even split on how each type fare for either spectrum, but I find when Physical wins, it has more an advantage than in a special Bias.
Normal: Return vs Hyper Voice. Former is stronger and learnable by anything TM compatible
Fighting: Close Combat/Superpower vs Focus Blast/Aura Sphere. Special Fighting gets shoddy accuracy because the latter Special move has awful distribution.
Fire: Flare Blitz vs Fire Blast. I'm more willing to put up with recoil than shoddy accuracy. Physical Fire types also are immune to burns, one of the common physical stops
Water: Waterfall vs Hydro Pump/Scald. Alright, Special gets this one.
Grass: Seed Bomb/Wood Hammer vs Giga Drain/Leaf Storm. Another special, but grass is kind of a piss offensive type on its own
Dragon: Outrage vs Draco Meteor. Former's consequence is to keep attacking. Latter weakens the ability to hit which makes Special Dragons a lot less sweep capable
Ground: Earthquake vs Earth Power. Former is stronger, more widely distributed, and most Ground resists are types biased to Special Defense if defensive at all.
Steel: Iron Head vs Flash Cannon. Not that many Special Attacking Steels, and bad coverage means Steel is mostly for STAB.
Rock: Stone Edge/Rock Slide vs Power Gem. Ignoring Stone Miss shenanigans, basically nothing on the whole gets Power Gem to use well
Flying: Brave Bird vs Hurricane. Perfect Accuracy w/recoil vs Poorly distributed low accuracy. Granted, both have a very big drop for their "next" option (Aerial Ace v Air Slash)
Bug: Megahorn/U-Turn vs Bug Buzz. Eh, I'd call this one decently even considering what good bugs there are.
Electric: Wild Charge v TBolt/Volt Switch. Even enough I guess.
Psychic: Zen Headbutt vs Psychic/Psyshock. Just not that many Physical Psychics.
Ghost: Shadow Claw vs Shadow Ball. About even in power, but Physical Ghosts tend to have issues that Special doesn't (cough *Speed*)
Dark: Knock Off vs Dark Pulse. Yeah, gonna call this a Physical Victory
Ice: Icicle Crash vs Ice Beam. Limited cases, but Physical uses Crash about as well as Special uses Beam
Poison: Poison Jab/Gunk Shot vs Sludge Bomb/Wave. Physical got the stronger move.

The problem I think is more that Specials moves are spread more widely (hell, some non-Special mons learn more special moves than Physical), so that lack of coverage issues right there is a big benefit to them. It also just seems like some things they introduced were unintentionally biased towards Special attacks: take Sheer Force. More Special Attacks have benefits for the ability: Close Combat and Superpower have detriments, while Sheer Force buffs Focus Blast even further.

I just don't feel like those slight BP nerfs were enough to fix the power discrepancy. It's just a consequence of them not paying attention to mechanics they were introducing over time.

I honestly prefer mixed Diancie over power gem any day, otherwise Psyshock would be a shitty way of getting trough the blobs. Heck of anything the lack of play rough is disturbing outside of the Princess setting.

I strongly agree there is a physical bias in the games as it keeps popping up in the teams I build. As I have said a thousand times, I have a preference for bulky Pokémon. The biggest problem I have had in building teams in that line of thought is finding bulky Special Attackers when I have no problem finding bulky Physical Attackers (things like Excadrill, Gliscor, Conkeldurr, Swampert, Snorlax, Scizor, etc.). Hell, one of the few good bulky Special Attackers is also equally good as a Physical Attacker: Mega Altaria. I mean, I've had to rely on Assault Vest Exploud on one of my teams, though I will admit, that is one of my favorite Pokémon to use.

Earthquake is probably the single best attacking move in the game, and Swords Dance is learned by a lot more things than Nasty Plot. Certain types get screwed over on the physical front, true, mostly if they fall through the cracks when it comes to move flavor (Talonflame not getting Fire Punch/Fang because it's a bird, for example, or Golurk not getting Shadow Claw), but I think physical attackers are better off in most cases.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
7) I was on the dream world all the time. It was simply wonderful, and was a great method to distribute event Pokemon (if there's a Pokemon anyone here wants in a dream ball, message me. I still have a few left over, and I may be able to help).
Yeah, while I don't know if I got all the furniture I tried to get all the Pokedolls I could (though I remember there were a few I couldn't get because they required a type berry and you only got 1 out of the 17 of those!). Kind of sad I didn't save a screenshot now, my home was FILLED with the Pokedolls it was hilarious.

It was also neat how after you sent a Pokemon from the Dream World to your game you went to the Entralink to see that Pokemon there. Though I always wondered if they had overworld sprites for all the Pokemon why they didn't let them follow you like in HGSS (yeah they were missing sprite animation but that's just altering the base sprite to make like 4 sprites of animation).

It would be a better way to distribute things than by serial code...

pika pal:
Worst than Diancie not getting Power Gem? Amaura family not getting it. They're Special Attackers, Rock-type, and have gems on their body... WHAT MORE DO YOU WANT FROM THEM?! They weren't even given it as an option from ORAS Move Tutor!

Yeah, it does seem they might have confused Special being wide covering for it being overpowered. They saw quantity over quality while honestly they should be looking at the move individually. Just because you have 3 Water-type moves that has 12 Power and only 1 Fighting Move that has 120 doesn't mean Water-type is overpowered, it just means Water-types have more options and if you have a problem with that then give the type lacking moves more moves!

Reactions: JES
Even if there is this supposed physical bias, I don't get why physical Hidden Power isn't a thing. There is Natural Gift, but it it's only one time use, requires to hold a berry, and isn't universally aviable. Why something like Thundurus or Keldeo should be able to overpower would be counters with a *4 supereffective Hidden Power, but someone such as Terrakion or Talonflame doesn't get that option?

Even if there is this supposed physical bias, I don't get why physical Hidden Power isn't a thing. There is Natural Gift, but it it's only one time use, requires to hold a berry, and isn't universally aviable. Why something like Thundurus or Keldeo should be able to overpower would be counters with a *4 supereffective Hidden Power, but someone such as Terrakion or Talonflame doesn't get that option?
Ah, that was once possible, but was lost with the arrival of the Physical/Special split.
I really do wish there was a physical Hidden Power, though when I really think about it, I tend to have more trouble getting moves on Special Attackers than Physical ones. Also, Terrakion doesn't really need one. QuakeEdge + X-Scissor hits everything in the game for neutral damage anyway.

(On a side note: 800th post!!!!!!!!)

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Personally I think they should have what Category Hidden Power is depend on the user's highest attack stat. Like on the stat screen it'll say Special, but if the user's Attack is higher than its Special Attack it'll base its calculations on User's (physical) Attack against Target's (physical) Defense. And if both Attack and Special Attack are equal it'll be Special just to make things simple. No need to make a new move when you can just modify an old one.

Personally I think they should have what Category Hidden Power is depend on the user's highest attack stat. Like on the stat screen it'll say Special, but if the user's Attack is higher than its Special Attack it'll base its calculations on User's (physical) Attack against Target's (physical) Defense. And if both Attack and Special Attack are equal it'll be Special just to make things simple. No need to make a new move when you can just modify an old one.
Only problem is when one stat is naturally higher, but you want to do something different. Also, this isn't unprecedented (Hyper Beam and Giga Impact).

Did moves like Flamethrower really need a power reduction? And why do moves like Thunder get a power reduction, but still have the same horrible accuracy? What's the point? And the new cries. Most of them sound bad, and while there are some exceptions- (A LOT of the Sinnoh Pkmn)- I still prefer the old ones.

And need I mention the greedy 7 yr olds on the GTS?

Well, the problem with the GTS is that most of the people who want more reasonable trades tend to be members of some group (may it be a forum, a Facebook page, etc.) where they can directly trade with people and get better stuff than the GTS can. That really leaves us with the aforementioned seven year olds.

Here's a very little thing that has annoyed me for a while:
So you are breeding Pokémon and you finally get what you need (or the next improved breeding partner). You check with the guy out front of the Day Care and there isn't an egg. You walk into the Day Care, talk to the person at the counter, and in that small time frame, there is an egg. That is so annoying.

Well, the problem with the GTS is that most of the people who want more reasonable trades tend to be members of some group (may it be a forum, a Facebook page, etc.) where they can directly trade with people and get better stuff than the GTS can. That really leaves us with the aforementioned seven year olds.

Here's a very little thing that has annoyed me for a while:
So you are breeding Pokémon and you finally get what you need (or the next improved breeding partner). You check with the guy out front of the Day Care and there isn't an egg. You walk into the Day Care, talk to the person at the counter, and in that small time frame, there is an egg. That is so annoying.
Once I wasn't able to get my mons out of the Day Care, because every time I picked up an egg at the guy outside, a new egg had already been made after a few steps. This happened for 15 minutes straight and I legitimately thought I couldn't use the Day Care anymore.

Last edited:
GTS is the most popular topic I've noticed really on here. Just... so... many... Arceus... MAKE IT STOP AND LET ME HAVE A NIDORAN MALE!
The Arceus requests are a red herring to the real problem. Sure, they're annoying, but the real issue is that most of the reasonable trade requests are snatched up really quickly. If there weren't a ton of people requesting Arceus/Darkrai/Moltres for Nidorans, the GTS would just be empty. Them banning people from requesting legendaries probably wouldn't cause a huge influx of reasonable trade requests.

The Arceus requests are a red herring to the real problem. Sure, they're annoying, but the real issue is that most of the reasonable trade requests are snatched up really quickly. If there weren't a ton of people requesting Arceus/Darkrai/Moltres for Nidorans, the GTS would just be empty. Them banning people from requesting legendaries probably wouldn't cause a huge influx of reasonable trade requests.
That reminds me, if you want a Pawniard bred with Psycho Cut, all I ask for is a Level 20 Zekrom. AND IT'D BETTER BE SHINY!!1

It would be reasonable if they wouldn't always ask for Event exclusives or under-leveled ones though. I've seen ones for lvl 30 Deoxys, and it's just like... it's like it's not only little kids, but those trades are the trolls.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 6, Guests: 21)