move 2: Dragon Tail
move 3: Stealth Rock
move 4: Fire Blast / Toxic
item: Rocky Helmet
ability: Rough Skin
nature: Impish
evs: 248 HP / 140 Def / 120 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Despite its 4x weakness to Ice, Garchomp is a great Stealth Rock setter thanks to its high stats and good typing. Stealth Rock is the only entry hazard Garchomp has access to, but it is very important in punishing the opponent's switches and racking up damage on Pokemon such as Volcarona, Thundurus-T, and Dragonite. Physically defensive EV investment provides solid bulk overall and allows Garchomp to check physical attackers such as Terrakion, Jirachi, Scizor, and Tyranitar. Earthquake is Garchomp's strongest Ground-type STAB move and is fully needed to hit the listed physical attackers, and Dragon Tail allows Garchomp to phaze defensive Pokemon and keep momentum against offensive Pokemon. Fire Blast can be used to prevent Steel-types such as Ferrothorn and Skarmory from setting hazards up and hits offensive Steel-types, such as Scizor, while Toxic allows Garchomp to wear down its most common checks in Hippowdon, Rotom-W, and Landorus-T.

[ADDITIONAL SET COMMENTS]
Rocky Helmet and Rough Skin provides a solid defensive backbone for Garchomp, allowing it to deal heavy damage to physical attackers while not attacking itself, especially against U-turn spammers. The given EVs allow Garchomp to take as many physical moves as possible and bully users of recoil while running enough Speed EVs to outspeed Skarmory, Breloom, and Toxicroak; however, you can opt for a maximum HP and Defense spread because it allows Garchomp to take multiples hits from Terrakion, Gyarados, and Stoutland. Some specially defensive bulk could be worth considering as well for moves such as Hidden Power Ice from Landorus-T, Volcarona, Venusaur, and Keldeo. Endure can be used to make full use of Rocky Helmet and Rough Skin and help Garchomp stay alive in a pinch. Rest allows Garchomp to easily recover from status inflictions; however, make sure you are running a cleric to rid Garchomp of its sleep. Swords Dance can be an option, as it allows Garchomp to easily KO defensive Pokemon such as Landorus-T, Gliscor, and Hippowdon with Earthquake; however, Surf is better against rain teams because it can hit Donphan, Landorus-T, and Gliscor without any setup. Garchomp doesn't have a recovery move outside of Rest, so having a Wish user can be an asset. Psychic-types appreciate Garchomp's presence, as it can weaken most Steel-types such as Jirachi, Scizor, and Metagross with Rocky Helmet and Rough Skin damage.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks good, approved. I just have some more minor details you might want to consider:

- Rest can be mentioned for the last slot if the team is running Heal Bell Celebi or Aromatherapy Chansey.
- SD isn't half bad either actually, it can be quite strong against some Skarm / Jelli / grass / Tran / Tar teams.
- Surf is a nice alternative to Fire Blast for rain teams, it crushes Landorus-T, Gliscor and Donphan while still dishing out good damage against the usual targets.

On the subject of EVs: I personally like maxed out physical bulk since it can do some pretty insane stuff against the likes of Terrakion and Gyarados, Breloom's a threat for sure (don't see many situations where outrunning Custap Skarm is worth it) but you still tank its Bullet Seeds well and seeing as there's not really much else between it and Chomp's starting speed - I even ran -spe a few times to not cut into FB's power and never missed the speed, there's just nothing there. I prefer the extra tankiness. Some spdef could be worth it for things like ice moves from Landorus-T, Tyranitar, Amoonguss and Jirachi, I could also see it being useful when staying in against Keldeo and Gengar and perhaps might be useful against a sun team's Venusaur/Volc.

Looks good, approved. I just have some more minor details you might want to consider:

- Rest can be mentioned for the last slot if the team is running Heal Bell Celebi or Aromatherapy Chansey.
- SD isn't half bad either actually, it can be quite strong against some Skarm / Jelli / grass / Tran / Tar teams.
- Surf is a nice alternative to Fire Blast for rain teams, it crushes Landorus-T, Gliscor and Donphan while still dishing out good damage against the usual targets.

On the subject of EVs: I personally like maxed out physical bulk since it can do some pretty insane stuff against the likes of Terrakion and Gyarados, Breloom's a threat for sure (don't see many situations where outrunning Custap Skarm is worth it) but you still tank its Bullet Seeds well and seeing as there's not really much else between it and Chomp's starting speed - I even ran -spe a few times to not cut into FB's power and never missed the speed, there's just nothing there. I prefer the extra tankiness. Some spdef could be worth it for things like ice moves from Landorus-T, Tyranitar, Amoonguss and Jirachi, I could also see it being useful when staying in against Keldeo and Gengar and perhaps might be useful against a sun team's Venusaur/Volc.
Thanks, i fully agreed with those things, i edited and made it in paragraph form, ready for GP check now.

dhelmise

banend doosre
is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Programmeris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Social Media Head
standard colors

amcheck so no implementerino yet please

[SET]
name: Tank
move 1: Earthquake

[SET COMMENTS]
Despite its x4x weakness to Ice, Garchomp is a great Stealth Rock setter thanks to its high stats and good double typings. Stealth Rock is the only one entry hazard Garchomp has access to, but it is very important in punishing the opponent's (Should this be "foe's"?) switches and racking up damage on Pokemon such as Volcarona, Thundurus-T, (AC) and Dragonite. Physically defensive EV investment provides a solid bulk overall and allows Garchomp to check physical attackers such as Terrakion, Jirachi, Scizor, (AC) and or Tyranitar. Earthquake is the strongest Garchomp's strongest ground stab Ground-type STAB and is fully needed to hit the pokemons listed above aforementioned physical attackers, while and (using "while" after a comma gives it the meaning of "but") Dragon Tail allows Garchomp from not being passive against to phaze defensive pokemons in addition to Pokemon and keep momentum against offensive pokemons Pokemon. Fire Blast can be used to prevent Steel types Steel-types such as Ferrothorn, (RC) and Skarmory from setting up (you can decide whether or not to keep the "up" after the "hazards" or to move it here) entry hazards up, (RC) moreover it can also and hits offensive Steel-types, such as Scizor, while whereas (optional) Toxic allows Garchomp to wearn down its most common checks which are in Hippowdon, Rotom-W, (AC) and Landorus-T.

[ADDITIONAL SET COMMENTS] (This is supposed to be in a Checks and Counters and Other Options format; see here)
A
Rocky Helmet plus and Rough Skin combo combination provides a solid defensive backbone for Garchomp, (AC) allowing him from it to dealing with heavy damage to physical attackers and inflict heavy damages while it's not attacking, especially against U-Turn U-turn spammers. The Ev's given EV spread was made so allows Garchomp can to take as many physical moves as much as possible and abuse users of recoils moves (this last part sounds weird; i tried my best, i have no regrets!) while it runs enough speed Speed EVs to outspeed Skarmory, Breloom, (AC) and Toxicroak,; (Comma > Semicolon) however, (AC) you can opt for a maxed out physical bulk since HP and Defense EVs (optional, but more descriptive IMO; also, don't use "since" in lieu of "because" or "as", as "since" is more directed towards time. Example: "Ever since the accident, I haven't been able to eat mashed potatoes.") because it can do wonderful jobs allows Garchomp to take multiple hits from (sounds better IMO) against the like of Terrakion, Gyarados, (AC) and or Stoutland. Endure can be used to abuse of Rocky Helmet / and Rough Skin, (AC) in addition to increase its improve Garchomp's ability to staying power in, (AC) and as much as Rest that allows him it to laugh at easily recover from status moves inflictions; however, however make sure you are running a Heal Bell or Aromatherapy user around on your team to appease Garchomp of its sleep. (I tried my best on rewording this sentence; it was very oddly worded, making it really difficult.) Swords Dance can be an option, (AC) as since it allows Garchomp from not being passive against to easily KO defensive pokemons Pokemon such as Landorus-T, Gliscor, and Hippowdown; (Add Semicolon) however, while Surf will be is better against rain teams since because it can hit Donphan, Landorus-T, (AC) and Gliscor. Garchomp doesn't have a recovery move outside of rest Rest, (AC) so running having a wisher teammate with access to Wish can be a really good support, then pokemons as Pokemon that can come on Rotom-W or ground types Ground-types are fully liked appreciated while playing Garchomp since because those are its main checks. (I tried) Psychic types used to Psychic-types like Garchomp's presence, (AC) as since it can weaken most of Steel types Steel-types such as Jirachi, Scizor, and Metagross with recoils Rocky Helmet and Rough Skin damages. However, (AC) some specially defensive bulk could be worth it for things like moves such as Hidden Power Ice from Landorus-T, Volcarona, Venusaur, (AC) and Keldeo.

Leftiez, this is, no doubt, a great analysis; however, sometimes it's hard to understand what you're trying to say. I don't know where you're from or what your primary language is, but some sentences are just way to confusing and are easy to misinterpret. Sorry if this seems either critical or rude, but still a good analysis regardless.

Finally, 1k (lol i need to stop posting)

antemortem, P Squared, Winry., SM979, Snobalt, GatoDelFuego, and Queez (I would tag Goddess Briyella but he's banned) - You guys have been great in helping me improve with my GP amateur checks. Not only with the checks themselves, but with the workshops. Kingler12345 plays a small part in this, as he helped with my very first check in the GP workshop. Thanks to all of you guys. (also could one of you go over this rof it's probably one of my worst checks but oh well)

unfixable - Thank you for always being honest with me to make sure I get [insert thing here] through my head. We might not always get along, but you have been great at keeping me from getting into too much trouble. I am glad you do that for me, and I'm glad to help you with whatever you need (GitHub wise lol).

Eevee General, Dr Ciel, Winry., Queez, Skitty, Sparkychild, The Mansavage, ascriptmaster, Ransei, Champion Albert, Yana, Lucina09, SolarisFox, Feliburn, Astara, Starbloom~, Redew, Timbuktu, and a lot of other people who i don't want to tag - Thank you all for being such great friends to me. I am thankful for being able to get to know you guys and I hope we can stay friends.

macle - i don't know why im tagging you lol

Others that are just pretty good friends or im just [well] acquainted with (or i couldnt think of a significant enough message)
anto Freigeist Quarkz princessofmusic skylight atomicllamas Mambo Joim MiniArchitect Spydreigon Illusio Minus shaymin Exeggutor AM qtrx xfix Astyanax, galbia QuoteCS Articuno Charles Carmichael Kayo Jellicent

you
are
welcome

Last edited:

Empress

Warning: may contain traces of nuts
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Rhythms add
Rhythms remove
Rhythms comment

Wow Rhythms way to steal my usual colors.

Snobalt add
Snobalt remove
Snobalt comment

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Despite its x4x weakness to Ice, Garchomp is a great Stealth Rock setter thanks to its high stats and good double typings. Stealth Rock is the only one entry hazard Garchomp has access to, but it is very important in punishing the opponent's (Should this be "foe's"?) (Yes it should.) switches and racking up damage on Pokemon such as Volcarona, Thundurus-T, (AC) and Dragonite. Physically defensive EV investment provides a solid bulk overall and allows Garchomp to check physical attackers such as Terrakion, Jirachi, Scizor, (AC) and or Tyranitar. Earthquake is the strongest Garchomp's strongest ground stab Ground-type STAB move and is fully needed to hit the pokemons listed above aforementioned listed (never, ever say "aforementioned") physical attackers, while and (using "while" after a comma gives it the meaning of "but") Dragon Tail allows Garchomp from not being passive against to phaze defensive pokemons in addition to Pokemon and keep momentum against offensive pokemons Pokemon. Fire Blast can be used to prevent Steel types Steel-types such as Ferrothorn, (RC) and Skarmory from setting up (you can decide whether or not to keep the "up" after the "hazards" or to move it here) entry hazards up, (RC) moreover it can also and hits offensive Steel-types, such as Scizor, while whereas (optional) Toxic allows Garchomp to wearn down its most common checks which are in Hippowdon, Rotom-W, (AC) and Landorus-T.

[ADDITIONAL SET COMMENTS] (This is supposed to be in a Checks and Counters and Other Options format; see here)
A
Rocky Helmet plus and Rough Skin combo combination provides a solid defensive backbone for Garchomp, (AC) allowing him from it to dealing with heavy damage to physical attackers and inflict heavy damages while it's not attacking, especially against U-Turn U-turn spammers. The Ev's given EV spread was made so allows Garchomp can to take as many physical moves as much as possible and abuse users of recoils moves (this last part sounds weird; i tried my best, i have no regrets!) while it runs enough speed Speed EVs to outspeed Skarmory, Breloom, (AC) and Toxicroak,; (Comma > Semicolon) however, (AC) you can opt for a maxed out maximum physical bulk since HP and Defense EVs (optional, but more descriptive IMO; also, don't use "since" in lieu of "because" or "as", as "since" is more directed towards time. Example: "Ever since the accident, I haven't been able to eat mashed potatoes.") because it can do wonderful jobs allows Garchomp to take multiple hits from (sounds better IMO) against the like of Terrakion, Gyarados, (AC) and or Stoutland. Endure can be used to abuse of Rocky Helmet / and Rough Skin, (AC) in addition to increase its improve Garchomp's ability to staying power in, (AC) and as much as Rest that allows him it to laugh at easily recover from status moves inflictions; however, however make sure you are running a Heal Bell or Aromatherapy user around on your team to appease Garchomp of its sleep. (I tried my best on rewording this sentence; it was very oddly worded, making it really difficult.) (Try this: "Endure can be used to abuse Rocky Helmet and Rough Skin and help Garchomp stay alive in a pinch. Rest allows Garchomp to easily recover from status inflictions; however, make sure you are running a Heal Bell or Aromatherapy user to rid Garchomp of its sleep.) Swords Dance can be an option, (AC) as since it allows Garchomp from not being passive against to easily KO defensive pokemons Pokemon such as Landorus-T, Gliscor, and Hippowdown; (Add Semicolon) however, while Surf will be is better against rain teams since because it can hit Donphan, Landorus-T, (AC) and Gliscor. Garchomp doesn't have a recovery move outside of rest Rest, (AC) so running having a wisher teammate with access to Wish can be an asset really good support, then pokemons as Pokemon that can come on Rotom-W or ground types Ground-types are fully liked appreciated while playing Garchomp since because those are its main checks. (I tried) Psychic types used to Psychic-types like Garchomp's presence, (AC) as since it can weaken most of Steel types Steel-types such as Jirachi, Scizor, and Metagross with recoils Rocky Helmet and Rough Skin damages. However, (AC) some specially defensive bulk could be worth it for things like moves such as Hidden Power Ice from Landorus-T, Volcarona, Venusaur, (AC) and Keldeo.

No stamp for you because you forgot to give me a shoutout. (jk)
GP 1/2

dhelmise

banend doosre
is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Programmeris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Social Media Head
Rhythms add
Rhythms remove
Rhythms comment

Snobalt add
Snobalt remove
Snobalt comment

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Despite its x4x weakness to Ice, Garchomp is a great Stealth Rock setter thanks to its high stats and good double typings. Stealth Rock is the only one entry hazard Garchomp has access to, but it is very important in punishing the opponent's (Should this be "foe's"?) (Yes it should.) switches and racking up damage on Pokemon such as Volcarona, Thundurus-T, (AC) and Dragonite. Physically defensive EV investment provides a solid bulk overall and allows Garchomp to check physical attackers such as Terrakion, Jirachi, Scizor, (AC) and or Tyranitar. Earthquake is the strongest Garchomp's strongest ground stab Ground-type STAB move and is fully needed to hit the pokemons listed above aforementioned listed (never, ever say "aforementioned") physical attackers, while and (using "while" after a comma gives it the meaning of "but") Dragon Tail allows Garchomp from not being passive against to phaze defensive pokemons in addition to Pokemon and keep momentum against offensive pokemons Pokemon. Fire Blast can be used to prevent Steel types Steel-types such as Ferrothorn, (RC) and Skarmory from setting up (you can decide whether or not to keep the "up" after the "hazards" or to move it here) entry hazards up, (RC) moreover it can also and hits offensive Steel-types, such as Scizor, while whereas (optional) Toxic allows Garchomp to wearn down its most common checks which are in Hippowdon, Rotom-W, (AC) and Landorus-T.

A
Rocky Helmet plus and Rough Skin combo combination provides a solid defensive backbone for Garchomp, (AC) allowing him from it to dealing with heavy damage to physical attackers and inflict heavy damages while it's not attacking, especially against U-Turn U-turn spammers. The Ev's given EV spread was made so allows Garchomp can to take as many physical moves as much as possible and abuse users of recoils moves (this last part sounds weird; i tried my best, i have no regrets!) while it runs enough speed Speed EVs to outspeed Skarmory, Breloom, (AC) and Toxicroak,; (Comma > Semicolon) however, (AC) you can opt for a maxed out maximum physical bulk since HP and Defense EVs (optional, but more descriptive IMO; also, don't use "since" in lieu of "because" or "as", as "since" is more directed towards time. Example: "Ever since the accident, I haven't been able to eat mashed potatoes.") because it can do wonderful jobs allows Garchomp to take multiple hits from (sounds better IMO) against the like of Terrakion, Gyarados, (AC) and or Stoutland. Endure can be used to abuse of Rocky Helmet / and Rough Skin, (AC) in addition to increase its improve Garchomp's ability to staying power in, (AC) and as much as Rest that allows him it to laugh at easily recover from status moves inflictions; however, however make sure you are running a Heal Bell or Aromatherapy user around on your team to appease Garchomp of its sleep. (I tried my best on rewording this sentence; it was very oddly worded, making it really difficult.) (Try this: "Endure can be used to abuse Rocky Helmet and Rough Skin and help Garchomp stay alive in a pinch. Rest allows Garchomp to easily recover from status inflictions; however, make sure you are running a Heal Bell or Aromatherapy user to rid Garchomp of its sleep.) Swords Dance can be an option, (AC) as since it allows Garchomp from not being passive against to easily KO defensive pokemons Pokemon such as Landorus-T, Gliscor, and Hippowdown; (Add Semicolon) however, while Surf will be is better against rain teams since because it can hit Donphan, Landorus-T, (AC) and Gliscor. Garchomp doesn't have a recovery move outside of rest Rest, (AC) so running having a wisher teammate with access to Wish can be an asset really good support, then pokemons as Pokemon that can come on Rotom-W or ground types Ground-types are fully liked appreciated while playing Garchomp since because those are its main checks. (I tried) Psychic types used to Psychic-types like Garchomp's presence, (AC) as since it can weaken most of Steel types Steel-types such as Jirachi, Scizor, and Metagross with recoils Rocky Helmet and Rough Skin damages. However, (AC) some specially defensive bulk could be worth it for things like moves such as Hidden Power Ice from Landorus-T, Volcarona, Venusaur, (AC) and Keldeo.

GP 1/2
since when are you not allowed to use "aforementioned" in an analysis?

Empress

Warning: may contain traces of nuts
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
since when are you not allowed to use "aforementioned" in an analysis?
Technically you're allowed to but it's an overused phrase, so it's generally frowned upon.
EDIT: "I would tag Goddess Briyella but he's banned"
smfh dude

Last edited:
Rhythms add
Rhythms remove
Rhythms comment

Snobalt add
Snobalt remove
Snobalt comment

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

A

GP 1/2
Alright thanks, ready for final check.
Rhythms , indeed my primal language is french so i used to form my sentence with same archetype, sorry if i gave you hard work. However i learned a lot with your gp checks, it will def improve my grammar thanks and keep up the good work n_n

Nix_Hex

Uangaana kasuttortunga!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Despite its 4x weakness to Ice, Garchomp is a great Stealth Rock setter thanks to its high stats and good double typings. Stealth Rock is the only one entry hazard Garchomp has access to, but it is very important in punishing the opponent's switches and racking up damage on Pokemon such as Volcarona, Thundurus-T, and Dragonite. Physically defensive EV investment provides solid bulk overall and allows Garchomp to check physical attackers such as Terrakion, Jirachi, Scizor, and Tyranitar. Earthquake is the Garchomp's strongest Ground-type STAB move and is fully needed to hit the listed physical attackers, and Dragon Tail allows Garchomp to phaze defensive Pokemon and keep momentum against offensive Pokemon. Fire Blast can be used to prevent Steel-types such as Ferrothorn and Skarmory from setting hazards up and hits offensive Steel-types, such as Scizor, while Toxic allows Garchomp to wear down its most common checks in Hippowdon, Rotom-W, and Landorus-T.

[ADDITIONAL SET COMMENTS]
A Rocky Helmet and Rough Skin combination provides a solid defensive backbone for Garchomp, allowing it to deal heavy damage to physical attackers while not attacking, especially against U-turn spammers. The given EVs allows Garchomp to take as many physical moves as possible and abuse users of recoil while it runs enough Speed EVs to outspeed Skarmory, Breloom, and Toxicroak; however, you can opt for a maximum HP and Defense EVs because it allows Garchomp to take multiples hits from Terrakion, Gyarados, and Stoutland. Endure can be used to abuse Rocky Helmet and Rough Skin and help Garchomp stay alive in a pinch. Rest allows Garchomp to easily recover from status inflictions; however, make sure you are running a Heal Bell or Aromatherapy user to rid Garchomp of its sleep. Swords Dance can be an option, as it allows Garchomp to easily KO defensive Pokemon such as Landorus-T, Gliscor, and Hippowdon; however Surf is better against rain teams because it can hit Donphan, Landorus-T, and Gliscor. Garchomp doesn't have a recovery move outside of Rest, so having a Wisher user teammate with access to wish can be an asset, as Pokemon that can come on Rotom-W or Ground-types are appreciated while playing Garchomp because those are its main checks. Psychic-types like Garchomp's presence, as it can weaken most Steel-types such as Jirachi, Scizor, and Metagross with Rocky Helmet and Rough Skin damage. However, some specially defensive bulk could be worth it for moves such as Hidden Power Ice from Landorus-T, Volcarona, Venusaur, and Keldeo.

GP 2/2

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)