Gen 6 [Read Post #44]Evasion Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

shrang

General Kenobi
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Can somebody show me where a ban like this wouldn't be a complete waste of time? I don't mean link me replays of random ladder matches where team preview will give me a heart attack. How relevant was evasion in any major tournament? Not even BP is seeing the levels of abuse that it saw back in XY where it warranted various bans in subforum tours. At this point in time, you are speculating about the impacts evasion *might* have rather than making observations on the impacts it has had.
Oh come on, you and I both know the reason that Evasion hasn't been banned yet is because no-one's grown the pair of balls needed to cheese Dice/aim/Probs/edgar/any of the tourney vets with something like Double Team GeoXern or Mega Mence or something funny like that in a tourney. If that happened, we'd have had a lynch mob for it like 6 months ago.

Since banning evasion is the change to the status quo, it's on you guys to argue why it should happen. Not sit there and ask somebody to argue against something that hasn't been supported with arguments.
Says the guy who wanted me to build him a team that was not weak to S-tag to prove that there were no S-tag weak teams, because "if you (the one trying to keep the status quo) can't think of one, then there isn't one", but whatever, I'm not going to bother beating that dead horse.

Crestfall

levitate, levitate, levitate, levitate
Oh come on, you and I both know the reason that Evasion hasn't been banned yet is because no-one's grown the pair of balls needed to cheese Dice/aim/Probs/edgar/any of the tourney vets with something like Double Team GeoXern or Mega Mence or something funny like that in a tourney. If that happened, we'd have had a lynch mob for it like 6 months ago.
So you're predicating your argument on a hypothetical world where you make it sound like evasion never loses versus top Ubers players, seems pretty helpful for your pro-ban post.

And here are some responses for arguments in this thread as to why evasion "should be banned." There ARE counterpoints - despite all these claims of "I challenge anyone to find any one single argument for evasion to not be banned." (lol)

1. We already ban Moody and Swagger which are uncompetitive, evasion should go too!
Not even comparable. Moody not only gets you +2 in exchange for -1 in one turn, you can do it again and again alternating protects/substitutes for free boosts until you get what you're looking for. Whereas evasion leaves you open to be hit on the turn you boost - and as a matter of fact, almost every minimize user in ubers are going to be outsped the turn that they initially use the move. Your opponent still outspeeds the turn after and you're only at +2 evasion. If they had hazards up to begin with you're already down a solid amount of HP.

Swagger vs Evasion boosting? Swagger gives you a 50% to not attack the opponent in a single turn. But it's not just "missing" your opponent, it's hitting yourself. With evasion you're still there with no damage to yourself and another turn to go. Swagger was also frustrating combined with Thunder Wave to reduce the chances of the victim moving to near impossible levels.

2. Baton pass chains are getting tiresome on ladder and they're unfair, I'm losing to inferior players because of luck.
These arguments signify a link towards the baton pass portion of evasion being broken. It's not the fact that you can miss, it's that the miss is transferred to another pokémon. If that's the case it sounds like baton pass is the bigger issue here - not evasion. Baton passing evasion requires a turn to use the evasion move AND another to pass it. That's 2 turns of essentially doing nothing for the opponent but banking on some small chance - a risk they're willing to take.

---
Now as for my personal anti-ban reasons:

Using Evasion is NO DIFFERENT than using a high power move with lower accuracy. How many COMPETITIVE matches have we all seen come down to a Focus Blast miss, or a Hydro Miss, or Fire Blast Miss. Yet players through the ages keep using these higher power moves as opposed to their lower power counterparts (Aura Sphere/HP Fight, Surf, Flamethrower). Why is this? Because they assume this risk in teambuilding. They go into the game with the knowledge that the lowered accuracy may prove to be fatal - but the risk is WORTH it. More often than not they will hit - the SAME thing applies to evasion.

Melee Mewtwo already brought this point up - but evasion takes up a move slot. This isn't the biggest deal as evasion users bank on the misses anyways, coverage is irrelevant to them as the boost is going to something that can cover all the threats or they have a STAB/attack without immunities. But they're already giving up a precious moveslot to use this move.

Phazing. Can't miss, won't miss. Of course magic bounce exists but if you're losing to someone passing evasion boosts to an espeon you should probably build a better team. The titans in Ubers can easily take out even a boosted espeon with a full-bulk EV spread.

Minimize vs Double Team.
Viable minimize users are next to none in Ubers, the risk is just massive. The most viable user is Clefable which is 2hkod by things in OU, let alone the monsters lurking in Ubers. That leaves Double Team as the "more reliable" way to boost evasion, as every pokemon has access to it. However the boost given by DT is a paltry amount leaving the chances STILL in favour of the attacker. Again, look back to the argument above about using higher powered moves.

tl;dr - lol @ banning evasion in ubers

Last edited:

Aberforth

is a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
Ubers Leader
For most of those points you raised, they are applicable in all tiers, and therefore Evasion should be unbanned everywhere on the site, in OU down to NU as well. Evasion puts the game on RNG rolls, which is not something we should be promoting as a playstyle. Also, +6 evasion blissey will not die, ever. Thank the ladder for that one.

Before you bring up moves with low accuracy, that is entirely down to the player in question. A fair number of people run Earthquake over Precipice Blades simply due to the fact that Earthquake wont miss, and they can still get screwed over by the rng with nothing they can do about it. Also, about phazing, the moves that can phaze are either inaccurate already (dragon tail) or can be bounced back with magic bounce, which is a common partner to evasion. Also, not all teams will fit phazing moves onto them, hyper offensive teams basically have to hope that whatever the evasion user is on the other team, it cant check whatever they've got in, and if they are facing a baton pass team they basically need to rely on a crit that hits it anyway.

This is no longer 'just a banlist' (oh how I hate that expression) and we should not be stuck in that mindset, there is no good reason to keep something like evasion around (it takes up a moveslot that it could use for coverage? It just cheeses past the checks that coverage would let it get past and more anyway).

EDIT: Evasion is most commonly seen on baton pass teams as it is, and will often be faster than your mon due to scolipede, probably have a +2 boost in defense, and the most common user (gliscor) will be using taunt and substitute to avoid phazing altogether, so that's even less of a good point.

shrang

General Kenobi
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
So you're predicating your argument on a hypothetical world where you make it sound like evasion never loses versus top Ubers players, seems pretty helpful for your pro-ban post.

And you're under the assumption that I'm basing banning Evasion on tournament use. My statement was more of an observation of the behaviour of Ubers players and this community, not as a argument for why Evasion should be banned or not.

Just something to note:
Using Evasion is NO DIFFERENT than using a high power move with lower accuracy. How many COMPETITIVE matches have we all seen come down to a Focus Blast miss, or a Hydro Miss, or Fire Blast Miss. Yet players through the ages keep using these higher power moves as opposed to their lower power counterparts (Aura Sphere/HP Fight, Surf, Flamethrower). Why is this? Because they assume this risk in teambuilding. They go into the game with the knowledge that the lowered accuracy may prove to be fatal - but the risk is WORTH it. More often than not they will hit - the SAME thing applies to evasion.

Melee Mewtwo already brought this point up - but evasion takes up a move slot. This isn't the biggest deal as evasion users bank on the misses anyways, coverage is irrelevant to them as the boost is going to something that can cover all the threats or they have a STAB/attack without immunities. But they're already giving up a precious moveslot to use this move.
Some Pokemon have good enough coverage that it's not such a big loss. Something like GeoXern isn't TOO concerned about losing out on some coverage since Moonblast is strong af anyway. Yes, I know it does lose out overall, but seriously, if you have a 25% chance of cheesing past a check that's relying on something like T-wave to hit or further making P-blades more unreliable, it's something worth considering. It's kind of like how Garchomp was alright with Rough Skin in BW(2), but not with Sand Veil. Sure, Sand Veil doesn't take up a slot, but since you're using Substitute to fish for misses, you're still ACTIVELY trying to abuse the RNG to cheese past a potential check. Same thing works with Evasion. There's a bigger opportunity cost, but that's what we're here to decide - is this opportunity cost small enough to justify a ban? If you've been on the receiving end of shit like this, you'd understand why people don't like it very much.

Last edited:

Crestfall

levitate, levitate, levitate, levitate
For most of those points you raised, they are applicable in all tiers, and therefore Evasion should be unbanned everywhere on the site, in OU down to NU as well. Evasion puts the game on RNG rolls, which is not something we should be promoting as a playstyle. Also, +6 evasion blissey will not die, ever. Thank the ladder for that one.
No. You are extrapolating my argument to apply in ways that I did not intend. The difference between Ubers and OU is the power of the threats. The pressure that Ubers mons can exert on a team due to their offensive stats is so great, that the chances of successfully setting up evasion is much lower. The reason this argument works is because of the users of Minimize as I stated. They are incredibly limited. This limits the mons boosting their evasion to a certain few in number. Or it limits the player to double team - in which case evasion sure as hell isn't broken because +1 eva is shit.

However in OU/NU etc. the comparative power levels are very low. In ubers you have access to ALL the tools in the game to deal with evasion. OU/NU/RU do not.

Before you bring up moves with low accuracy, that is entirely down to the player in question. A fair number of people run Earthquake over Precipice Blades simply due to the fact that Earthquake wont miss, and they can still get screwed over by the rng with nothing they can do about it. Also, about phazing, the moves that can phaze are either inaccurate already (dragon tail) or can be bounced back with magic bounce, which is a common partner to evasion. Also, not all teams will fit phazing moves onto them, hyper offensive teams basically have to hope that whatever the evasion user is on the other team, it cant check whatever they've got in, and if they are facing a baton pass team they basically need to rely on a crit that hits it anyway.
But that's my point. This time the decision is put in the user's hands. That might sound broken at a quick glance, BUT this already exists in pokemon. Moves such as scald for example are no different. They remove the power of the opponent to have meaningful choices. I'd love my Zekrom to switch into a scald from a water type. However there is a 30% chance of crippling him by doing so. If scald didn't burn, then Zekrom would suddenly be a great check due to resisting the move AND forcing the enemy out. Another example is Hurricane - removes the power of the player 10.5% of the time. Only 10.5%! (I think). But suddenly I hit myself due to a confuse and I've lost the game.

I already gave my argument against magic bouncers (lol xatu), especially everyone's favorite eeveelution found in bpass chains (lol espeon).

This is no longer 'just a banlist' (oh how I hate that expression) and we should not be stuck in that mindset, there is no good reason to keep something like evasion around (it takes up a moveslot that it could use for coverage? It just cheeses past the checks that coverage would let it get past and more anyway).

EDIT: Evasion is most commonly seen on baton pass teams as it is, and will often be faster than your mon due to scolipede, probably have a +2 boost in defense, and the most common user (gliscor) will be using taunt and substitute to avoid phazing altogether, so that's even less of a good point.
Yeah we should just ban scope lens, these mons just cheese past it's checks that coverage would let it get past by critting them for 1.5 the damage anyways.

Last edited:

Aberforth

is a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
Ubers Leader
"You should probably build a better team" was your argument against Magic Bounce. Please inform me of what I am meant to do to beat the thing with +4 defenses behind a sub where all my moves are as accurate as focus blast, no matter their initial accuracy (other than thunder by kyogre, which doesn't always fit on a team). And yes this is a problem with BP in general, however Evasion in particular, and you kindly glossed over stuff like minimise blissey and clefable, implying in the process that clefable is unviable, which is just amusing given that clefable is indeed viable, very viable I would say.

And I love that you take my point that evasion takes the game out of the players hands and into the RNG to be a reason to keep evasion. If I run Earthquake and I get screwed by the RNG on a mon using double team, whoopie doo for me I guess? Should have run aerial ace instead.

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Ban this uncompetitive piece of shit. The sheer fact that I have to carry Unaware Clefable if I want a way to reliably take it on is enough of a deterrent on its own before you consider things like Double Team Xerneas. While evasion isn't overcentralising at all, with it often either being at the cost of coverage or through DrifblimPass, it doesn't change the fact that there are Clefable and Blissey which can use it viably AND get a *1.6-recurring (or what ever it is) boost despite already walling a large portion of the metagame without it anyway, it just becomes obnoxious and uncompetitive to use. I mean hell: two times, when I couldn't fit a Clefable onto my team, I genuinely ran a Foresight Mega Lucario and Mega Kangaskhan (dont worry they were different teams XD) JUST to reset Clefable's evasion stat as I couldn't use Unaware to ignore the boosts and my team had a weakness to Clefable (i didn't want to change either team's set of pokemon because I couldn't think of a way to change the members without opening up a bigger gap in my defenses). Seriously if a move is uncompetitive to the point of making you use Foresight on any pokemon without Rapid Spin in any tier then you know that it is unhealthy.

tl;dr: add Evasion clause

Jibaku

Who let marco in here????
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
This is no longer 'just a banlist' (oh how I hate that expression)
I don't like having to repeat this but Ubers has not been "just a banlist" for many generations before. chaos' thread title is misleading.

Funbot28

Banned deucer.
Evasion moves are such spammable moves that require no luck behind it. In the end it is decided by a coin flip if you will hit or not. If we want Ubers to be more competitive, I think the banning of Evasion will help it a lot. I mean didn't we have the same reasoning to ban Swagger?

Okay, so I've got enough experience with those annoying Evasion teams so I guess I'd be okay enough to leave my two cents.
First off:

Do you think Evasion has enough of an impact on the game to warrant it being removed?
In my experiences, I'd have to say not yet, but it's already proving troublesome. For one, the users of this playstyle are pretty much gimmick, but once you encounter one, you know you're in for trouble. And while you can say something like Aura Sphere and Thunder (from Primal Kyogre) will never miss on them, chances are they're less common than the builds we can see today. There wasn't any major games I could recall that changed the tide of a match via Evasion shenanigans which caused a ruckus, but yeah, this thing is really bothersome. On the flipside, there are tons of complaints that Evasion was deemed Uncompetitive, and I too support in banning this. We need more proof to ban Evasion but the complaints of some players say it all.

Is the luck element significant enough and is it actually used enough that we should implement Evasion Clause?
I'll have to say yes to that. Pokemon already has a bit of luck on it, and adding Evasion moves to the mix rubs the salt in the wound. During my skirmishes with Evasion teams (which mostly is used in conjunction to Baton Pass teams, but let's not dwell onto that), it was really bothersome to see most of your moves miss, giving the player a free Substitute (in this case a Drifblim), and ultimately stalling you out. In short, hax is frustrating enough, and Evasion makes it even more frustrating. It's those types of cases where sheer skill gets neutralized by chance.

In short, I do support in having an Evasion Clause in Ubers. This is my first time to ever share insight on such big topics, so forgive me if I have holes in my arguments. With that said, I'm looking forward to where this goes.

Lavos

Banned deucer.
Disclaimer: I'm not an Ubers player so I won't be saying anything about metagame-specific stuff.

To me it's very sad and disappointing that the community is still having to discuss such a basic aspect of the competitive Pokemon game we've constructed. If we truly strive to create the best competitive tiers for our players, there is one clear and obvious solution here. Implement an Evasion clause, just like every other competitive tier to my knowledge. I've made this argument about a hundred times in various tiering/policy review threads, and it's always the same.

1. We at Smogon strive to create the most competitive metagame for our players to engage in.

This is the given. It's the premise upon which all policy decisions are founded. Keep this premise in mind when discussing. We strive for competitiveness above all else. "Fun" is a secondary consideration and ought to be derived from competitiveness anyways.

2. The most competitive metagame is where x(better player) beats y(worse player) the most times/100.

Simply put, in a competitive metagame, better players beat worse players every single time. I will cite a tried and true analogy of chess. In chess, there are NO elements of luck or RNG. Thus, if a grandmaster of ELO 2200 were to go up against an amateur of ELO 1200, the grandmaster would win every single conceivable match, assuming no external influences (fatigue, etc). Chess is therefore a pinnacle of competition. Competitive Pokemon is not. Small elements of chance exists on almost every turn. Accuracy, paralysis, freeze, Scald, and critical hits can swiftly turn the tide of a match. These instances of luck are generally when worse players are able to beat better players. This is not competitive; however, it's the game we play.

3. To create the most competitive metagame from an imperfect medium of competition (Pokemon), we must reasonably limit uncompetitive elements.

Uncompetitive elements being those which unreasonably swing the match one way or another through pure chance, reducing skill and glorifying RNG. Now clearly the elements I mentioned above are core to competitive Pokemon. I'm not advocating the removal of any move that has a chance to miss. These are assumed risks by the teambuilder. Choosing to use Hydro Pump over Surf means I'm sacrificing accuracy for power. Teambuilding is all about these tradeoffs. In the metagame I'm most familiar with, BW OU, tradeoffs are made with every Pokemon choice and with every move slot, because there are too many threats to realistically check, and thus some must be left open in favor of others. Focus Blast is not uncompetitive. Evasion, however, draws parallels to OHKO moves in its pure reliance on chance. Similar to OHKO moves (which are banned), Evasion strategies such as Minimize are not particularly good ones, and yet they still see usage in Ubers because bad players get a kick out of abusing RNG to beat good players. Say your faster Pokemon, a Minimize user, is out against my slower Pokemon, which has the ability to KO yours. You press Minimize in the hope that I miss. If I do, you press it again, and my chance of missing becomes higher.

This is the key interaction which makes things uncompetitive. I can miss a Focus Blast on Ferrothorn, and that sucks, but my next Focus Blast doesn't have any lower of a chance to connect. Evasion, on the other hand, is not only an element of RNG, but one that STACKS. That's the core difference between it and anything else with an element of RNG in the game. One could argue that a move like Muddy Water, which has a chance to lower the opponent's accuracy, is similarly uncompetitive. However, at least I can interact with an accuracy drop by switching out. I can't interact with Evasion because the Pokemon with the Evasion boost(s) is in my opponent's control. And despite how skilled or not I may be, Evasion makes me completely powerless against luck. It was not my teambuilding decision, it was my opponent's. It is not interactive, nor is it competitive. By choosing to use Minimize or Double Team, my opponent has successfully removed all elements of skill from the game, and replaced it with pure RNG.

Let me take a brief moment to reply to several individuals' claims that "Evasion teams suck, so they aren't ban-worthy!" If you think this, you lack any semblance of an understanding of how the policy process operates. It doesn't matter how good or bad a strategy is. All that matters is how competitive or otherwise it has proven itself to be. Even if your Evasion team loses to my regular Ubers squad 99 times out of 100, that 1 time that I miss three Earthquakes in a row due to Minimize and you pass your boosts to a sweeper and blow through my team makes Evasion uncompetitive. Completely reliant on chance AND zero opportunity for interactive play? I'd say that more than fulfills the necessary criteria to implement an Evasion clause in Ubers.

Remember that the questions we want answers to are the following: Do you think Evasion has enough of an impact on the game to warrant it being removed? Is the luck element significant enough and is it actually used enough that we should implement Evasion Clause?
Okay this also needs to be addressed. Why are you asking these questions? They are vague, unspecific, and unimportant. These are terrible ways to open a thread and lead the discussion in the wrong direction. It doesn't matter if Evasion is impactful and it doesn't matter how significant the luck is, and it matters least of all how often it's used. None of this should be affecting anyone's judgment. The ONLY question that needs asking should be: Is Evasion competitive or not? That's the core aspect of Smogon's tiering policy, and that's all which needs to be discussed.

tl;dr Evasion clause is a basic component of any competitive metagame and this discussion is absurd in its very existence.

It won't die, but what is that Blissey going to do back to you? Toxic stall? It can't even break the Substitutes of half of Ubers.

Evasion spam is only a real threat when paired with Baton Pass. We could follow OU's lead and ban evasion, but look at OU's repeated attempts to nerf Baton Pass.

Lavos Spawn: Evasion teams are as dependent on matchup as they are on luck. They are are often passive, and are more vulnerable to phazing or boosting sweepers. All it takes is a +6 attack of your own to connect in order to destroy an evasion team. I believe that a properly constructed team can beat an evasion spammer 100% of the time. Unless the team is centered around Baton Pass. It is that which we should be discussing, not evasion alone.

That said, banning evasion would be consistent with the new direction Ubers is taking.

Last edited:
I thought there was an evasion clause in ubers, but I guess it was just for the OU.

To make sure tiers/banlist tiers (other than anything goes) a playable tier, however, there must be the least luck based sets possible, and I think I see a problem with minimizers and double team spammers running around everywhere in ubers just to get the good set teams lose due to luck. If I played ubers more than I do now, I would have been so sick of evasion. I only faced one evasion team in anything goes, but that's another story. I say throw an evasion clause on ubers. Also, I automatically have whirlwind on Lugia on my ubers team just to beat setters, but to have everyone carry it around just for evasion is kind of overpreparing for one thing. That is when things like this need to get banned.

Minority

Numquam Vincar
is a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
A lot of people here are missing the point and are raising arguments and responses to issues that are irrelevant compared to the big ones.

In regards to the pro-banners, bringing up Baton Pass / "evasion isn't fun" are pointless arguments that go nowhere. Full Baton Pass chains were only optimal because of evasion and Baton Pass is not the extent of evasion abuse. Also your opinion of how fun a particular gameplay element is not a grounds for a ban, because if it was, then what would be left.

For the few anti-ban posters, you don't have a clear line of justification outside of ripping on the pro ban posts (aside from Gaga, but I gave up on convincing you a long time ago). I don't want to dig up old arguments, but during the Mega Gengar and Tag tests the extent of anti-ban arguments weren't just counterarguments to pro-ban arguments; there were stand alone reasons to keep Mega Gengar legal in Ubers. The same can't be said for evasion at this moment as its legality doesn't actually contribute anything positive to the tier.

The comparisons to Swagger are poor ones, as it ends up being a comparison of the lesser of two evils; just because you argue that Evasion isn't as difficult to confront as Swagger, a move that was banned prior, doesn't mean that its nature doesn't warrant a ban. For those that still don't understand, would you let a man who murdered 12 people go simply because in the past there have been convictions of criminals who murdered as many as 17 people? As I already stated, the degree isn't the core issue, the nature of the crime is still the same.

ponent but banking on some small chance - a risk they're willing to take.

---

I 100% agree with this, there is no point in banning something just because someone can win by getting lucky, the fact is, that if the opponent is half decent, they will win most of the time. Pokemon in its nature is based around 'hax' and 'luck', if you want to play a purely skilled game, play chess. Good players try to eliminate luck from pokemon battles, but in reality, there will always be RNG in competitive pokemon.

I 100% agree with this, there is no point in banning something just because someone can win by getting lucky, the fact is, that if the opponent is half decent, they will win most of the time. Pokemon in its nature is based around 'hax' and 'luck', if you want to play a purely skilled game, play chess. Good players try to eliminate luck from pokemon battles, but in reality, there will always be RNG in competitive pokemon.
That's where you're wrong. Evasion Pass in the hands of any player with any level of skill performs well against better players if they're not using niche pokemon like Perish Song Mega Gengar. I think this is the problem here, that evasion makes skill irrelevant.

blitzlefan

shake it off!
Pokemon in its nature is based around 'hax' and 'luck', if you want to play a purely skilled game, play chess. Good players try to eliminate luck from pokemon battles, but in reality, there will always be RNG in competitive pokemon.
I personally don't agree with this argument, as it suggests that because Pokemon isn't completely skill-based, any form of RNG is acceptable. To create a competitive environment, which I believe Smogon is trying to do, I feel as if reducing the "hax" and "luck" as you so put it would be beneficial for the metagame. Sure, Pokemon will never be 100% competitive, but I don't understand why making steps to approach that level of competitiveness shouldn't be a goal.

Fireburn

BARN ALL
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Time to make a decision. Sweep and I read all your comments and we have seen good arguments on both sides, but it is pretty clear how the majority of the community feels and we don't feel like this needs to drag on forever.

While Evasion isn't necessarily the best strategy in Ubers, it is similar to our existing Swagger and Moody clauses in the sense that beating Evasion comes entirely down to the RNG with no opportunity for player interactivity or otherwise "interesting" competitive choices. It has zero skillful or strategical usage outside of potentially turning the game into dice rolls outside of the player's control. We acknowledge that RNG will forever be a thorn in the side of the competitive Pokemon player; however, we still strive to maintain a predominantly skill-based metagame, and when a metagame element such as Evasion is almost entirely luck-based with no positive contributions to the metagame whatsoever, it should behoove us to remove it. Because of these reasons, Sweep and I have decided that Evasion is Uncompetitive™ and that Evasion Clause will be reinstated in Ubers, effective immediately.

Bear in mind that Evasion Clause did previously exist in Ubers until early BW, so this isn't a particularly groundbreaking ban. Furthermore, this ban is not precedent for any future bans, especially those attempting to balance the metagame by removing elements simply considered "too strong."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)