SPOILERS! Mysteries and Conspiracies of Pokemon

I didn't watch the episode, but from what I can gather, neither Pryce nor Piloswine had any lasting injuries. If Pokémon attacks were truly as dangerous as stated, a Fire Blast would have burnt Pryce to cinders. Instead, Piloswine decided to cure it with herbs. That's not a proper injury, it's a mild annoyance.
Mewtwo killing the scientists is never confirmed. The lab exploded, indeed. So did a certain hot air balloon or a bunch of giant mechas, hundreds of times, and its pilots are still running around to date without slowing down.
When releasing Arbok and Weezing, Team Rocket fought Pokémon and still weren't even knocked out. They were fine again by the end of the episode. It takes some extrapolating to say they were in mortal danger.
As for the Metagross, it's not certain what would have happened, as it never finished attacking. If it had hurt James badly and permanently, I'd have taken your point, but we've seen those guys facing explosions at point-blank range, and/or being thrown across the horizon nearly a four-digit number of times now. I'm not convinced by an allegedly harmful attack almost happening.

I realize the phrase "shrug it off just fine" was a poor choice of words. What I meant was, the people are up and running again by the start of the next episode, and rarely if ever get any lasting marks, not even as much as a scar. Have we even seen broken bones from a Pokémon attack yet? Dismemberment? Not that I can recall. Have we seen characters - people and Pokémon - been attacked by other Pokémon by attacks that would - if not for cartoon physics - turn them into a fine mist of charred salsa? Plenty of times, I dare even say regularly. Have they suffered lasting, permanent effects from it? Not yet. That doesn't seem like a "ruleset" that allows for death by trauma to me.

No death from direct trauma, we seem to agree on that, at least.
Then again, seeing how there are herbs in the games that can revive Pokemon completely and cookies and ice cream that can cure Pokemon of burns, paralysis, sleep, and being frozen I'm willing to bet food plays a bigger role here...

Hmm, that's an interesting discussion. What exactly is experience? Is your Pokemon absorbing the lost energy from your opponent? Is it just your Pokemon's muscles healing after the battle?
I'm thinking they absorb the lost energy (Exp, Life Energy, whatever were calling it now.) and use it to heal, but it also makes them stronger. Anyway, there are actual moves that drain HP and give it to the Pokemon who used it.

I have two things here.

1. In R/S/E, in the Slateport Market, if you talk to one of the sailors, or if you click on some of the merchandise (not sure which one) text will say, 'The seaweed here is so fresh and full of life. Why, it looks like it could rear up and attack you!' It says the same thing in OR/AS as well. Could this have been a basis for GameFreak to use for the later introduced Skrelp (and Dragalge), Pokémon that camouflage themselves as seaweed/kelp?
  2. In OR/AS, in one of the rented apartments (specifically the one where the man who later becomes Mr. Bonding lives), there is a TM for U-Turn on the balcony. Could this reference that fact that the man who 'had no power' considered committing suicide by jumping off the balcony, but 'u-turned' out of it and decided not to kill himself in the end? It seems like a bit of a dark route for GameFreak to go, but then again, Sea Mauville exists.

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
I have two things here.

1. In R/S/E, in the Slateport Market, if you talk to one of the sailors, or if you click on some of the merchandise (not sure which one) text will say, 'The seaweed here is so fresh and full of life. Why, it looks like it could rear up and attack you!' It says the same thing in OR/AS as well. Could this have been a basis for GameFreak to use for the later introduced Skrelp (and Dragalge), Pokémon that camouflage themselves as seaweed/kelp?
  2. In OR/AS, in one of the rented apartments (specifically the one where the man who later becomes Mr. Bonding lives), there is a TM for U-Turn on the balcony. Could this reference that fact that the man who 'had no power' considered committing suicide by jumping off the balcony, but 'u-turned' out of it and decided not to kill himself in the end? It seems like a bit of a dark route for GameFreak to go, but then again, Sea Mauville exists.
I personally think the first theory is a little to out-of-the-way/obscure for what you suggest, plus they're based off a real life animal (the leafy sea dragon). Your second theory, however, actually sounds pretty legit.

Why is N allowed to challenge the Elite Four in BW? He has 0 badges (I checked at the Gyms and the only certified trainers are the player character, Bianca and Cheren.)

Oh, and N was the Champion when we fought him at the Castle so why aren't we the Champion when we defeated him? It was quite weird that you have to fight the previous Champion to be a Champion yourself when you have already defeated the current Champion.

Karxrida

Why is N allowed to challenge the Elite Four in BW? He has 0 badges (I checked at the Gyms and the only certified trainers are the player character, Bianca and Cheren.)

Oh, and N was the Champion when we fought him at the Castle so why aren't we the Champion when we defeated him? It was quite weird that you have to fight the previous Champion to be a Champion yourself when you have already defeated the current Champion.
I'm pretty sure he was collecting him off-screen. You even fight him right outside the Narcene Gym, implying he just finished beating Lenora.

Cresselia~~

Junichi Masuda likes this!!
I personally think the first theory is a little to out-of-the-way/obscure for what you suggest, plus they're based off a real life animal (the leafy sea dragon). Your second theory, however, actually sounds pretty legit.
But U-turn's Japanese name isn't really U-turn. It means more like "dragonfly coming back"

Edit: It's difficult to translate, but it's supposed to describe a dragonfly.

I'm pretty sure he was collecting him off-screen. You even fight him right outside the Narcene Gym, implying he just finished beating Lenora.
But if he defeated a Gym Leader, his name would be on the sign you can examine in the Gym. The only names there as I said are the Player, Bianca and Cheren.
(It's the same thing in RBY too where the only certified trainers are you and Blue)

Karxrida

But U-turn's Japanese name isn't really U-turn. It means more like "dragonfly coming back"

According to Bulbapedia it means "Round-trip." That honestly makes the reference much darker if what they said is true.

But if he defeated a Gym Leader, his name would be on the sign you can examine in the Gym. The only names there as I said are the Player, Bianca and Cheren.
(It's the same thing in RBY too where the only certified trainers are you and Blue)
The only explanation I have for that is it's a plot hole or minor detail inconsistency.

Or in ORAS/RS? (I never played the originals.) How Wally starts showing up.
Um explain please? I'm not sure what you mean.

The only explanation I have for that is it's a plot hole or minor detail inconsistency.
I'm betting this option It is implied that he's using the dragon to take down all the gym leaders and that they called in Alder while N was collecting the badges to put up a final challenge (though how they were able to get by without a champion for years is beyond me).

Either that or there is another secret 8 gyms that N got his badges from that we didn't hear about in the games (like what happened with Humilau, Virbank, and Aspierta Cities in Black and White?)

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
I have two things here.

Not so sure about the seaweed thing, as Karxrida said they could be referencing the Leafy Seadragon which Kingdra was based on before the Skrelp family. Besides being this is the Pokemon world maybe one day there would be a straight up Seaweed Pokemon.

Not the first time they hinted at a character possibly wanting to commit suicide. Remember the old man in Anistar City who you give a weak Pokemon to to keep him company in XY? There's a hidden Escape Rope nearby the house which many has taken as being from the lonely old man. And as for general darkness, some have taken the Antidote found in the trash in the Old Chateau in the Gen IV games as possibly meaning the people who lived in the house were poisoned. And then there's Sea Mauville.

Maybe N didn't give his name? I imagine N just swooping into the Gym, challenging the Gym leader, beating them for the Badge, and leaving not really caring to be "honored" by his name being printed on the entrance plaque.

And maybe N wasn't recognized as Champion since he kind of tried taking over Unova and I would think that would disqualify you. That or he never entered his team into the Hall of Fame, can't be Champion if you're not in the Hall of Fame. Or N could be just A Champion while Alder is still the League Champion, but we've already opened up that can of worms with Steven in ORAS.

U-turn's Japanese name is "Round-trip". Actually from other sources it sounds more like it's suppose to be translated as "somersault" which in Japanese is called "dragonfly return". Once again, like with Aerial Ace, the pun is used to give it its Bug-typing, however the meaning is still there. The Powerless Man was thinking of committing suicide by jumping off the balcony, but his mind somersaulted the idea and he never went through with it.

Either that or there is another secret 8 gyms that N got his badges from that we didn't hear about in the games (like what happened with Humilau, Virbank, and Aspierta Cities in Black and White?)
Actually it seemed implied that the reason Cheren, Roxie, and Marlon became Gym Leaders is because the Striaton Trio, Lenora, and Brycen quit. Though that could just me reading into too much of the meta. Afterall to participate in the Indigo League you either need the Kanto OR the Johto badges (and the anime seems to imply you can mix and match them, though the anime also says there are WAY more Gyms that we never see except for their Badges).

Actually, that sounds like a fun topic. What types do you think these badges came from?

I'm betting this option It is implied that he's using the dragon to take down all the gym leaders and that they called in Alder while N was collecting the badges to put up a final challenge (though how they were able to get by without a champion for years is beyond me).

Or Team Plasma stole them from the gym leaders.

According to Bulbapedia it means "Round-trip." That honestly makes the reference much darker if what they said is true.

Um explain please? I'm not sure what you mean.
I just meant for certified trainers in the gym.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
I've got a theory on the "Powerless Man" and U-Turn which doesn't involve a suicide attempt:

The guy must have been an aspiring acrobat, and bought the TM for "Somersault" because it gives creatures the power to, well, tumble gracefully through the air. He went out to the balcony, held the TM against his forehead, waited for something to happen, then threw it aside when he thought it had taught him to Somersault. He then promptly tried to jump off the balcony.

He's now crippled because he broke something important in the fall. Powerless, if you like.

...is that a less dark spin on the tale?

I've got a theory on the "Powerless Man" and U-Turn which doesn't involve a suicide attempt:

The guy must have been an aspiring acrobat, and bought the TM for "Somersault" because it gives creatures the power to, well, tumble gracefully through the air. He went out to the balcony, held the TM against his forehead, waited for something to happen, then threw it aside when he thought it had taught him to Somersault. He then promptly tried to jump off the balcony.

He's now crippled because he broke something important in the fall. Powerless, if you like.

Do you mean acrobatics instead of somersault? Or am I just missing something here

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!

But he became the Powerless Man right after having to fire the Sea Mauville crew. He moved to Mauville City and remained secluded as the Powerless Man until the 5 Old Guys gave him the power to become Mr. Bonding.

Maybe N didn't give his name? I imagine N just swooping into the Gym, challenging the Gym leader, beating them for the Badge, and leaving not really caring to be "honored" by his name being printed on the entrance plaque.

And maybe N wasn't recognized as Champion since he kind of tried taking over Unova and I would think that would disqualify you. That or he never entered his team into the Hall of Fame, can't be Champion if you're not in the Hall of Fame. Or N could be just A Champion while Alder is still the League Champion, but we've already opened up that can of worms with Steven in ORAS.
Actually, after beating Alder and before challenging the player, N describes himself as a trainer who is stronger than the champion. This would seem to indicate that he, for some reason, chose to not take the title of Champion.

Cresselia~~

Junichi Masuda likes this!!
Not so sure about the seaweed thing, as Karxrida said they could be referencing the Leafy Seadragon which Kingdra was based on before the Skrelp family. Besides being this is the Pokemon world maybe one day there would be a straight up Seaweed Pokemon.

Not the first time they hinted at a character possibly wanting to commit suicide. Remember the old man in Anistar City who you give a weak Pokemon to to keep him company in XY? There's a hidden Escape Rope nearby the house which many has taken as being from the lonely old man. And as for general darkness, some have taken the Antidote found in the trash in the Old Chateau in the Gen IV games as possibly meaning the people who lived in the house were poisoned. And then there's Sea Mauville.

U-turn's Japanese name is "Round-trip". Actually from other sources it sounds more like it's suppose to be translated as "somersault" which in Japanese is called "dragonfly return". Once again, like with Aerial Ace, the pun is used to give it its Bug-typing, however the meaning is still there. The Powerless Man was thinking of committing suicide by jumping off the balcony, but his mind somersaulted the idea and he never went through with it.

Actually it seemed implied that the reason Cheren, Roxie, and Marlon became Gym Leaders is because the Striaton Trio, Lenora, and Brycen quit. Though that could just me reading into too much of the meta. Afterall to participate in the Indigo League you either need the Kanto OR the Johto badges (and the anime seems to imply you can mix and match them, though the anime also says there are WAY more Gyms that we never see except for their Badges).

Actually, that sounds like a fun topic. What types do you think these badges came from?
True
U turn should mean dragonfly return
I dun agree with Bulbapedias translation

I just remembered a detail that makes this theory impossible:
We know for a fact that the eight BW1 badges are all that exist at the time. How? The Badge Check Gates! There is exactly one for each badge in BW1 and they are specific for each one with no ambiguity. (This also applies to Kanto and Kalos)

One problem with relying on the Gym Statues is the fact that we only ever see the names of ourselves and our rivals on them, despite the fact that we know that others have been there. In GSCHGSS, when we go to Kanto, Red and Blue's names are nowhere to be seen on the Gym Statues (with the understandable change of Fuchsia and Viridian since both have different leaders...one of which IS Blue) yet we know that by the end of the previous Generation that they had defeated all eight Kanto gyms. Same for the player, Bianca, and Cheren in B2W2.* Plus, in every single game, Victory Road is infested with Zubats other trainers, none of whom appear on a single Gym Statue (again, Kanto, Unova, and Kalos definitely has only those eight badges). N's absence may need to be taken with a grain of salt.

I cry "game mechanics" a lot, don't I?

*Unless the Memory Link changes things, I don't know.

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
Well, you could say that in itself is fairly conjectural. We have no idea how the gyms are run/how often the names are wiped. Are we involved within a single "season"?

For example, are birthdays split into 6 month/12 month gaps? We already know not every trainer starts with a Starter, only selected individuals do (mainly because you cannot catch them in the wild, and there is maybe a handful of trainers that I recall who use a Starter at all). It could be that every year, or everytime a new champion is crowned that the gyms "wipe" the list of trainers from the main posts, but keep records related to winners somewhere else. Relating this to N is easy... They did have the technology to hide a GIANT BUILDING under the ground, so N could have feasibly just tunneled/teleported/got into the E4 chamber without too much trouble...

It always seems odd that you only ever see the player and the rival(s) there [On the posts]. But then again, no one ever moves so...

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Maybe there are multiple names on the plaque but the only names your character cares to notice is their own and their rival. True that still doesn't explain why N's name isn't there, but as said N probably doesn't care no want his name to be associated with Pokemon battling.

Maybe there are multiple names on the plaque but the only names your character cares to notice is their own and their rival. True that still doesn't explain why N's name isn't there, but as said N probably doesn't care no want his name to be associated with Pokemon battling.
Or N went by his full name. No one would have realized that Natural Harmonia Gropius is him so the player just overlooked it, especially if he/she was only looking to find Cheren and Bianca.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 4)