PU Pokemon Matchmaking (Week 8: Torterra)

Status
Not open for further replies.

rubsomebacononit

I was cringe and annoying when I was on smogon RIP
is a Contributor Alumnus

Gourgeist-Super @ Leftovers
Ability: Frisk
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Impish Nature
- Synthesis
- Will-O-Wisp
- Foul Play
- Seed Bomb

Gourgeist-Super. He covers all of Probopass' weakness (Fighting, Water, Ground) and can cripple physical attackers with Will-O-Wisp. Gourgeist appreciates hazard support from Probopass and can continue to STALL!!

Last edited:

MZ

And now for something completely different
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

Gourgeist-Super @ Leftovers
Ability: Frisk
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Synthesis
- Will-O-Wisp
- Foul Play
- Leech Seed

Gourgeist-Super. He covers all of Probopass' weakness (Fighting, Water, Ground) and can cripple physical attackers with Will-O-Wisp. Gourgeist appreciates hazard support from Probopass and can continue to STALL!!
Gonna have to suggest seed bomb over leech seed, otherwise you're not gonna cover Poliwrath at all making this a really lame partner.

TONE

I don't have to take this. I'm going for a walk.
is a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Alright moving along to Week 6.

Week 6 is Zebstrika! As before yo have one week to post your partners.

Twix

jicama
is a Contributor Alumnus

Simipour @ Life Orb
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Grass Knot
- Low Kick

Simipour can help break down Ground Types such as Piloswine, Golem and Torterra which can be threats towards Zebstrika. With them working together they can also take on Grass Types where Zebstrika can take on Jumpluff and hit other Grasses with Overheat and Simipour can nail them with Ice Beam. Simipour can also deal very good damage to Lickilicky with Low Kick.

Raiza

is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Championis a Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
World Defender

Torterra @ Life Orb
Ability: Overgrow
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Rock Polish
- Wood Hammer
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge

Rock Polish Torterra looks like a good partner for Zebstrika, as it can take care of Ground-types that can KO Zebstrika are immune to its Volt Switch, Torterra also appreciates Volt Switch support itself even if Zebstrika is fast, to switch in with safety and dont get unnecessary damage. Zebstrika also works kind as a Piloswine lure thanks to Hidden Power Grass, that could come in hand often as Piloswine often bothers Torterra and prevents it from sweeping. Zebstrika can also offensively pressure Flying-types which are valid Torterra checks, and works as a revenge killer for Pokemon that outpace Torterra.

TONE

is a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Week 7 is now underway.

Week 7 is Ursaring. As before, you have a week.

Mr. Mime @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Filter
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Dazzling Gleam
- Focus Blast
- Healing Wish

One major problem with Ursaring is how quickly it is worn down, whether it be Toxic Orb or Flame Orb. Once Ursaring has punched holes in teams and gets weakened, Mr. Mime can come in and get off a fast Healing Wish to bring Ursaring back up to full health. Mr. Mime also takes on the Fighting-types that Ursaring struggles with such as Poliwrath and Machoke.

Last edited:

Raiza

is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Championis a Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
World Defender

Stoutland @ Choice Band / Silk Scarf
Ability: Scrappy
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Return
- Superpower
- Facade
- Pursuit / Play Rough

Stoutland with Ursaring creates the classic normal spam duo which is feared by many unprepared teams(yes because normal coverage is underrated as hell), they share the same weaknesses, though they can be backed up easily by another team member. Stoutland can support Ursaring thanks to its wallbreaking potential, which allows it to break through most walls and get rid of Ghost-types, or just simple open holes into the opposing team, allowing a possible Ursaring sweep.

TONE

Forgot to update this. On to Week 8.

Week 8 is Torterra. You have until Sunday to list potential partners.

Raiza

World Defender

Poliwrath @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 200 HP / 252 SpA / 56 Spe
Modest Nature
- Focus Blast
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Vacuum Wave

Special Tank Poliwrath is a good teammate for every Torterra set, because of its good typing and role synergy. In fact, Poliwrath can resist both Ice- and Fire-attacks thrown at Torterra, while Torterra can check Electric-types for Poliwrath. Poliwrath also baits Grass-types that wall Torterra, such as Gourgeist and Tangela, and is able to break through them, and is able to deal with Piloswine too. Stealth Rock support help Poliwrath score KOs, while a Choice Band Torterra would significantly help Poliwrath to break through its counter and checks.

Articuno @ Life Orb
Ability: Pressure
Timid Nature
- U-turn
- Hurricane
- Freeze-Dry
- Roost

U-turn Articuno is a great partner for Torterra, especially Choice Banded. When Articuno comes in, it forces in Steel-types such as Probopass and Pawniard, allowing it to use U-turn and giving it a free switch into Torterra to get a big hit off. On the other hand, Torterra really struggles to beat bulky Grass-types such as Tangela and Gourgeist-XL, which Articuno can come in pretty safely against and KO them.

rubsomebacononit

I was cringe and annoying when I was on smogon RIP
is a Contributor Alumnus

Carracosta @ Leftovers
Ability: Solid Rock
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Relaxed Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Scald
- Low Kick
- Knock Off

Carracosta and Torterra form a nice defensive core. Carracosta absolutely hates Electric, Ground and Grass-type attacks, which Torterra can take with ease. Torterra hates Ice, Bug, and Flying-type attacks, which Carracosta can take with ease. Carracosta can wear down the opponent with Scald and Knock Off, which helps Torterra to break walls.

Ninetales @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Energy Ball
- Substitute
- Nasty Plot

Ninetales is a great partner to take advantage of Torterra's fantastic wallbreaking ability to set up, while Ninetales can take Ice- and Grass-type attacks for Torterra. In addition, Ninetales's ability discourages STAB Fire-type moves from faster Pokemon than Torterra. Ninetales covers almost all of Torterra's weaknesses while Torterra can break down walls that threaten to stop Ninetales from setting and cleaning up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)