ORAS Doubles OU Best Noobish Smogon Doubles OU Team Ever?

Sylveon (F) @ Life Orb
Ability: Pixilate
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 4 HP / 244 Def / 252 SpA / 8 Spe
Modest Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Psyshock
- Shadow Ball
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Deoxys-Attack @ Focus Sash
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Mild Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam
- Psychic
- Superpower

Kangaskhan-Mega @ Kangaskhanite
Ability: Parental Bond
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Return
- Seismic Toss
- Fake Out
- Crunch

Scizor (F) @ Life Orb
Ability: Technician
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Bullet Punch
- Aerial Ace
- Brick Break

Sableye (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 128 Def / 120 SpD / 8 Spe
Careful Nature
- Recover
- Night Shade
- Confuse Ray
- Toxic

Talonflame (F) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- Flare Blitz
- Steel Wing
- Thief

Can you give a description of what each member of your team does? and just glancing over your team Focus sash + Recoil Moves dont work (Talonflame)

Smogon Doubles Not VGC or Battle Spot Doubles
Okay.
1. Sylveon
Few Weaknesses
Rare Weaknesses
Very Few Pokemon Can 1 Hit KO It (especially if itevs get put into hp and defense) becasue of pixilate, hyper voice still htis hard
Hyper Voice 90*1.5*1.3 with a life orb with 100+ special=godly damage, multi hit move, does not damage own team
bulky, above 90 defense, special defense, and hp if invest evs into defense
only slow tank viable in pokemon because it has few weaknesses, rare weaknesses, is bulky, and hits hard, charchtersitics no other slow tank has
perfect nurtral coverage
hidden power fire can revenge kill steel types if not 1 hitkoed(ver hard to 1 hit ko)
perfetc nuetral coverage
super eff. against more than 400

2. Deoxys Attack
Hit KO potential
Few People Know It's Not Banned because the ban list is pretty hard to find
thunderbolt can 1 hit ko mat block greninja
superpower stat reductions mean almost nothing because deoxys attack defense is already really low and it attack is already really high
superpower against ferrethorn , heatran
ice beam against landorous thunderous , dragons, tornadoes, zapdos, and many many more standard ou pokemon
has great speed
no other good bolt beamers in the game
150 speed and 180 special and attack=it should be banned from doubles
moveset -more than 552 pokemon super effective against
weaknesses dont matter
needs focus sash because its frail
makes it alot easier to deal with whimsicott terrakoin leads
3. mega kanga
fake out useful in doubles especially to keep deoxys attack from being hit
seismic toss breaks walls like people who try to calm mind or cosmic power a lot
i dont like sucker punch because people arent stupid if it looks like it is a good idea for mega kanga to do sucker punch most people are smart and dont do an attacking move
parental bond=op
crunch ,return, and seimic toss for perfect nuetral coverage
only 1 weakness

4. scizor fairy killer mega gardevoir, alteria, and sylveon are rampant in doubles good thing bullet punch is a priority move
90 bp priority move is good too
only 1 weakness fire which is not that common (relativley)
supereffective against more than 500
90 bp areieal ace 100% accuracy can get rid of many anreally annoying pokemon like shaymin skye colcarno whimsicott serperior
perfect nuetral covarege
needs life orb to make sure sylveon get s 1 hit koed and to make it an amazing revenge killer

5. Talonflame
priotiy stab brave bird
supperfect nuetral coverage
superefefctive against more than 400 pokemon

6. Sableye
confue ray toxic reover spam is very fun
only 1 weakness
i know fairy is very common in doubles
night shade to make taunters rethink taunting my sableye
mega sableye also made sableye much easier to use
immune to fake out

Pokemon types I never want to use
types that are weak against ice and dragon

I fell like this team is really good for noobs like me
because 5 of the 6 pokemon can easily destory almost all pokemon easily in ou or lower .
4 of the 6 pokemon have 2 or less weaknesses
crushes many annoying types of leads

What do you guys think?

I think my team would be better if I was able to replace talonflame. However, I cant thinmk of a good talonflame repalcer.

I do not want to use pokemonw eak to ice and dragon.

SpaceBass

☆ALOLA VERA420: FUKK AMOONGUS AND UR MOM
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Hello and welcome to smogon!

The Sylveon set you're running isn't as good as it could be, as the amount of Def you have invested is probably too much. The most you would need would be to live a Mega Kangaskhan Return, which is 56 HP / 200 Def / 252 SpA. Also Specs is the preferred item usually. Keeping Shadow Ball is viable. Another option would be to carry Moonblast > Shadow Ball, however this was primarily to bypass Hitmontop's Wide Guard, and Hitmontop isn't used much anymore, so it up to you. Although Aegislash is now the most common user of Wide Guard so Moonblast is still probably better as it allows you to hit things regardless of Wide Guard. HP Fire is normally outclassed by HP Ground on Sylv to hit Heatran, but at a glance, Ferrothorn would also give you trouble so either would be acceptable, but watch out for the one whose SE coverage you aren't carrying.

Deoxys-A only needs to run 236 Speed to outrun base 130s. Swap Psychic to Psycho Boost, and Thunderbolt to Protect. It won't be sticking around long enough to care about the SpA drop, and hits like a truck. Deo-A needs protect because it literally dies to Fake Out a lot of the time, and its sash won't save it from Mega Kang's 2 hit Fake Out.

Mega Kang doesn't need much changed, but there are 2 ways you can go with it. The EVs stay the same, however if you are using Seismic Toss, I'd recommend Double Edge over Return. You aren't using Power Up Punch so returns damage isn't as nice as it could be. The other would be to just use Fake Out / Return / PuP / Sucker punch. Either way swap Crunch to Sucker Punch. Its priority and won't trigger a King's Shield drop if you mispredict.

The only Pokemon change I'd make would be Scizor. Scizor is heavily outclassed in doubles, and the spot could be better off used one something else. Swapping to Aegislash would bring many benefits. Its alot bulkier when in shield form, so provides you with a more solid switch-in to things overall. Carrying Weakness Policy takes advantage of this bulk, as Aegi can usually live one super effective hit aimed at it as long as it is in shield form, and hit back with a +2 boosted attack. Wide Guard protects you from the ever common Rock Slide / Earthquake / Heat Wave and can buy you some free turns.

The Sableye set you're using is kind of strange. It doesn't really suit the role Sableye should play in doubles. A moveset of Will-o-Wisp / Quash / Taunt / and either Recover, Protect or Snarl would be alot better. The EVs I provided in the importable live a sun Heat Wave from Zard Y and a rain boosted Hydro Pump from Ludicolo, as well as living a Bisharp Knock Off in-case Will-o-Wisp misses. Quash is way more handy as it lets you force an opponent's pokemon to move last, ignoring Tailwind, Trick Room and Speed.

The Talonflame is pretty much fine, Steel Wing kills Mega Diancie so is acceptable. Other options include Taunt and Tailwind. Swap Thief to Protect.

You mentioned wanting to change Talonflame. You could swap it for Heatran, although the team becomes quite lacking in speed without Deo-A / Kang. Sableye could also be swapped for Thundurus as a Taunter. I've put sets for both under the main team in the importable.

Also I noticed the thing about not wanting to use Ice / Dragon weak pokemon. Limiting yourself needlessly like that will only lead to eating losses due to stopping yourself from having the most optimal team possible.

If you want to continue learning to play Doubles OU, check out the Doubles room on PS: http://play.pokemonshowdown.com/smogondoubles I'm in there a fair bit and can answer any questions you may have about the team or doubles in general.

Deoxys-Attack @ Focus Sash
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 20 Atk / 252 SpA / 236 Spe
Rash Nature
- Psycho Boost
- Ice Beam
- Superpower
- Protect

Kangaskhan @ Kangaskhanite
Ability: Inner focus
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- Seismic Toss
- Double-Edge
- Sucker Punch

Sylveon @ Choice Specs
Ability: Pixilate
EVs: 56 HP / 200 Def / 252 SpA
Quiet Nature
IVs: 1 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 SpD / 1 Spe
- Hyper Voice
- Moonblast
- Psyshock
- Hidden Power [Ground]

Aegislash @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Stance Change
EVs: 244 HP / 12 Def / 252 SpA
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Flash Cannon
- Wide Guard
- Shadow Ball
- King's Shield

Sableye @ Sitrus Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 76 Def / 180 SpD
Bold Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Recover
- Quash
- Taunt

Talonflame @ Life Orb
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Brave Bird
- Flare Blitz
- Tailwind
- Protect

Thundy and Heatran sets:

Thundurus @ Sitrus Berry
EVs: 244 HP / 108 Def / 64 SpA / 72 SpD / 20 Spe
Calm Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power Ice
- Taunt

Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 56 HP / 252 SpA / 200 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Heat Wave
- Earth Power
- Substitute
- Protect

Last edited:
I'd recommend editing your descriptions into your rmt, as it makes it far easier to read and it's how all rmts are formatted. Also adding sprites would add to aesthetics :3

Smogon Doubles Not VGC or Battle Spot Doubles
Okay.
1. Sylveon
Few Weaknesses
Rare Weaknesses
Very Few Pokemon Can 1 Hit KO It (especially if itevs get put into hp and defense) becasue of pixilate, hyper voice still htis hard
Hyper Voice 90*1.5*1.3 with a life orb with 100+ special=godly damage, multi hit move, does not damage own team
bulky, above 90 defense, special defense, and hp if invest evs into defense
only slow tank viable in pokemon because it has few weaknesses, rare weaknesses, is bulky, and hits hard, charchtersitics no other slow tank has
perfect nurtral coverage
hidden power fire can revenge kill steel types if not 1 hitkoed(ver hard to 1 hit ko)
perfetc nuetral coverage
super eff. against more than 400

2. Deoxys Attack
Hit KO potential
Few People Know It's Not Banned because the ban list is pretty hard to find
thunderbolt can 1 hit ko mat block greninja
superpower stat reductions mean almost nothing because deoxys attack defense is already really low and it attack is already really high
superpower against ferrethorn , heatran
ice beam against landorous thunderous , dragons, tornadoes, zapdos, and many many more standard ou pokemon
has great speed
no other good bolt beamers in the game
150 speed and 180 special and attack=it should be banned from doubles
moveset -more than 552 pokemon super effective against
weaknesses dont matter
makes it alot easier to deal with whimsicott terrakoin leads
3. mega kanga
fake out useful in doubles especially to keep deoxys attack from being hit
seismic toss breaks walls like people who try to calm mind or cosmic power a lot
i dont like sucker punch because people arent stupid if it looks like it is a good idea for mega kanga to do sucker punch most people are smart and dont do an attacking move
parental bond=op
crunch ,return, and seimic toss for perfect nuetral coverage
only 1 weakness

4. scizor fairy killer mega gardevoir, alteria, and sylveon are rampant in doubles good thing bullet punch is a priority move
90 bp priority move is good too
only 1 weakness fire which is not that common (relativley)
supereffective against more than 500
90 bp areieal ace 100% accuracy can get rid of many anreally annoying pokemon like shaymin skye colcarno whimsicott serperior
perfect nuetral covarege
needs life orb to make sure sylveon get s 1 hit koed and to make it an amazing revenge killer

5. Talonflame
priotiy stab brave bird
supperfect nuetral coverage
superefefctive against more than 400 pokemon

6. Sableye
confue ray toxic reover spam is very fun
only 1 weakness
i know fairy is very common in doubles
night shade to make taunters rethink taunting my sableye
mega sableye also made sableye much easier to use
immune to fake out

Pokemon types I never want to use
types that are weak against ice and dragon

I fell like this team is really good for noobs like me
because 5 of the 6 pokemon can easily destory almost all pokemon easily in ou or lower .
4 of the 6 pokemon have 2 or less weaknesses
crushes many annoying types of leads

What do you guys think?

I think my team would be better if I was able to replace talonflame. However, I cant thinmk of a good talonflame repalcer.

I do not want to use pokemonw eak to ice and dragon.
Hello there, and welcome to Doubles OU. Unfortunately, your team will need quite the refinement, since some concepts that you have cannot work really well in the Doubles metagame.

First, I'd talk about your Mega Kangaskhan. You'd like to have Power Up Punch > Seismic Toss. PuP provides an immediate +2 on your mega evolving, and makes your primary attacks, Fake Out and Sucker Punch (which I recommend as well for priority and Ghost hitting after mega), stronger.

Also, I'd also repeat some other previously said statements, such as the standard Sylveon spread and Choice Specs on it, as well as Hidden Power [Ground] on it. Also, aside from Aegislash, which was recommended earlier, I'd also recommend Substitute Heatran, which is literally difficult to take down and is one of the few naturally bulky attackers in standard DOU. SubTran will be over Scizor. However, by his makes you weak to Cresselia, but still a Steel type would help your team. Before I forget, regular Deo-A spread was already mentioned a while ago, so wynaut? And use this set for Deo-A: Psycho Boost/Superpower/Extreme Speed/Protect.

Talonflame doesn't need Steel Wing, Thief and Focus Sash altogether. Plus, Adamant Nature T-Flame > Jolly, since you don't necessarily need to outrun anything like Greninja (not that popular in viability) so follow my advice if I were you. Go for Taunt/Will-o-Wisp > Flare Blitz. Both things help in many different ways, such as Taunt preventing set-up situations such as Trick Room or Calm Mind Cresselia or just burning an attacker like opposing Kang-M. Also, 3rd slot should be either Tailwind or Quick Guard > Steel Wing. Steel Wing never OHKO's Mega Diancie at all, and if Steel Wing's purpose is for the fairies, you're mistakenly wrong, so I recommend making Talonflame more of a utility Pokemon.

Oh and don't use Sableye if your team isn't really weak to speed control. Thing is, Sableye is viable in DOU for its Quash move, which makes your target move last, whether it has priority or not. But your team doesn't necessarily look weak to speed control so I would recommend something else, like Thudurus (mentioned above), a bulky water like Rotom-W, which helps in terms of fire resistance (which, contrary to your statement and with all due respect to you), is very popular because of mainly Zard-Y and Heatran. Or if not, a more offensive water type like Keldeo, which can outrun a lot of things such as Mega Kangaskhan.

And as a bit of advice as an RMT writer: please describe not the general attributes of your Pokemon, but reasonings to your selection of Pokemon. I'll give you a sample:

"I chose Sylveon because I wanted a powerhouse that can break through things easily. While it is weak to Steel types and would get little to very minimal damage from STAB + Specs Hyper Voice, there isn't a lot of Pokemon that can freely switch in, which makes it very strong. Aside from a single STAB move, coverage moves such as Shadow Ball and Psyshock are important in few cases, to prevent Sylveon from not hitting Fairy resists effectively while sacrificing Hyper Voice for that particular situation." <-- Something like that. ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)