Worst Pokemon Sprites?

There seems to be something a little off in BW's Zapdos sprite. The feathers on its head just seem smaller than they should be...
This is the one from HGSS
and the model for XY/ORAS
The head crest thing is definitely off.

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
There seems to be something a little off in BW's Zapdos sprite. The feathers on its head just seem smaller than they should be...
This is the one from HGSS
and the model for XY/ORAS
The head crest thing is definitely off.
Looks fine to me. I can't really tell what's wrong here.

-Pokemon XD Gale of Darkness-
A moment of silence for lickitung who just wanted a hug
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't it also the model from the Stadium games? Regardless, Lickitung has always looked weird.

Looks fine to me. I can't really tell what's wrong here.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't it also the model from the Stadium games? Regardless, Lickitung has always looked weird.
I'm not sure, but yeah you just can't make this thing pretty and I think that deserves some form of sympathy. It's bad enough that the poor thing looks like the Alaskan Bull Worm from Spongebob

Nuff' said, Ivysaur can't stand.
"When the bulb on its back grows large, it appears to lose the ability to stand on its hind legs." That's its Red and Blue Pokédex entry. That means that the original Ivysaur sprite accurately represents a newly evolved Ivysaur, which would be able to walk upright due to not having been an Ivysaur for too long and having a heavy bulb. That means all subsequent sprites are actually inaccurate.

"When the bulb on its back grows large, it appears to lose the ability to stand on its hind legs." That's its Red and Blue Pokédex entry. That means that the original Ivysaur sprite accurately represents a newly evolved Ivysaur, which would be able to walk upright due to not having been an Ivysaur for too long and having a heavy bulb. That means all subsequent sprites are actually inaccurate.
Okay, some Ivysaur can stand upright, but all Ivysaur can stand on all fours. This makes inaccurate incorrect.

Okay, some Ivysaur can stand upright, but all Ivysaur can stand on all fours. This makes inaccurate incorrect.
Well, it depends on your interpretation. Most, if not all, Ivysuar you encounter will belong to trainers (or yourself) and be level 16-35, meaning most Ivysaur are recent evolutions. That would imply they would all be able to walk upright, since newly evolved Ivysaur only walk upright until their bulb weighs them down, presumably to age.

Well, it depends on your interpretation. Most, if not all, Ivysuar you encounter will belong to trainers (or yourself) and be level 16-35, meaning most Ivysaur are recent evolutions. That would imply they would all be able to walk upright, since newly evolved Ivysaur only walk upright until their bulb weighs them down, presumably to age.
Yes, some can walk upright, but all can walk on all fours. Meaning every sprite that shows them on all fours is accurate.

This Pysduck is doing SOMETHING....
is it poking its eye? Pointing to its nose? I see it doing the same thing that Aerodactyl did in that one episode of the anime.

Aerodactyl's sprite in DPP and BW just seems so bad to me... the jaw looks larger than it should be.

You know, I really like Lugia a lot, as evidenced by my Lugia gijinka avatar.

Pokemon Gold and Crystal displayed Lugia just how I like it:

Beautiful, majestic, powerful, mysterious.

Pokemon Silver on the other hand...

Then WHY, WHYY did they choose to retain the Silver pose in almost every subsequent sprite?!

Lugia, what's up with your wings? Ruby, Sapphire, Emerald, Diamond and Pearl, and even Platinum did nothing to change it... It's ridiculous. Stop it.

And then, it happened. The day had come. HeartGold and SoulSilver had arrived, and Lugia could finally be admired in all its glory.

This is it. This was what I had been waiting for. It is brilliant, and certainly one of my favourite sprites in any Pokemon game ever made, along with its Crystal counterpart at the beginning.

But... GF...
Upon the creation of Pokemon Black and White, they had magically "forgotten" all about their previous success, almost exactly like Ash Ketchum does upon the arrival of every new Pokemon season.

Guys, those aren't Wings. That's just flappies.

I don't know, I think the DPP sprite looks okay. But the Silver one definitely doesn't capture the look of "I am your final battle, the last one, I am the legend you are seeking." and instead shows a bird doing a belly flop.

I agree that the belly does make Silver's sprite the most ridiculous. But what annoys me the most about Lugia's sprites in general are actually the wings. They just look unnatural in the RSE/DPPt sprites, how they kind of fold back like that. It also makes them look incredibly light-weight, which wouldn't make sense if they are meant to keep 476.2 lbs / 216 kg of Lugia up in the sky. BW is somewhat better, but my eyes still don't "believe" it, if you know what I mean. I know it's just a game with made-up monsters and primarily based on fantasy opposed to logic, but it still gives me odd and frustrating feelings whenever I look at these sprites, and I don't have those feelings with the majority of sprites / Pokemon designs.

Imo though the XY models are by far the worst offenders though when it comes to Lugia.

... what the fuck even is that?...

I can see where you are coming from about the wings as it is hard to see how Lugia can even fly sometimes but I think BW did at least a decent job to make it look fly-able. I mean, a big bird is gonna need big wings so it only made sense to me that the wings would be flappy-like. I think Lugia's main problem though is that it is just fat, and it looks awkward if we get to see too much of the front body.

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Most, if not all, of the Gen VI models for Flying Pokemon suck honestly. I prefer how PBR and the previous 3D games made it so only some were shown flying constantly.

The problem with Gen VI flying Pokémon is Sky Battles.
I personally like all of those Lugia sprites/model, but that's mostly since Lugia is a really well designed Pokémon and one of my favorites.

The way that the back sprite is off to me. The front is nice enough, but the way Dragonite's tail is just sticking out like that annoys me.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)