np: ORAS OU Suspect Process, Round 4 - Genie in a bottle

Status
Not open for further replies.

styie

Formerly known as Freedom.
I feel like people are exaggerating Lando's power even after all this time and everything has been said. Lando is a great wallbreaker and barely has switch-ins. That's true, no denying about that.
However, having no switch-ins doesn't mean broken. Remember BW Hydreigon? No switch-ins either. Why wasn't it broken?
It was easily checked by the offensive mons that ran rampant through the meta. This is the same case. Landorus' presence in the metagame forces team to not be 100% passive as they could or wished that they could, and forces them to run something with some sort of offensive pressure. Yes, Lando excels against balanced team. That's his, and many other wallbreakers, job. Also, before anyone replys "Lando just switches out on that hit" you have to remember that something switches in to take that hit, Lando mostly takes SR damage the next time it gets in AND the another hit on the switch-in as well (unless it switches in to revenge something which could be said on any mon). On the case Landorus carries Rock Polish to outspeed his offensive checks, he lacks important coverage which your balance team can and should abuse. Yes, you have to scout. Yes, your balance team is still at a disadvantage to make that scout. However, again, that's his job, and that's no different than scouting Manaphy's coverage moves or lure moves on Kyurem-Black.

For those reason, I think Landorus presence in the metagame is positive, and shouldn't be banned.

Also, the "Lando stops volt-turn teams due to typing" argument is pretty much bullshit. Besides Magnezone, ALL users of Volt Switch in ou commonly (pretty much the only one that isn't guaranteed is Zapdos) carry a move to hit Landorus for SE damage, and all of them either outspeed Landorus, or can take a hit from it (Landorus has to run max attack (lmao) to even have a chance to KO with Rosk Slide after Stealth rock) and hit Landorus back HARD. Landorus isn't switching in OR staying on none of these threats.

252 Atk Life Orb Sheer Force Landorus Rock Slide vs. 252 HP / 168+ Def Zapdos: 234-278 (60.9 - 72.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

252+ Atk Life Orb Sheer Force Landorus Rock Slide vs. 252 HP / 168+ Def Zapdos: 257-304 (66.9 - 79.1%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
Here's the thing. Landorus-I does have checks, yes. It also does have counters, yes. But if you look at it's sheer power and the decent amount of bulk it gets for something so offensive, it gets so many ample opportunities to switch-in and get a kill. And that's the problem. Literally everything it comes in, it gets a kill. Oh, you think that your AV Torn-T is here to save the day? Nope, think again. The opposing Landorus-I used Rock Slide! Tornadus-T fainted. That's gone. Hmm your regular Latias/Latios is checking it? Nope, think again. That thing will get hit harder with a knock off than then a Chuck Norris kick.

Moving on to counters, it has 2. Mega-Latias and Cresselia. Just wait until you hard switch and he doubles to pursuit Tyranitar. There goes both of your counters, gone. But hey, guess what? Lando-I wins now. Now, you're probably thinking. It loses to priority. Well, yes. But the fact he has no reason to sac it gives it many more ample opportunities to get a free switch-in and get a kill. Rinse repeat until all you lose, etc etc.

Landorus-I is the most meta defining Pokemon around. It causes so much hard teambuilding and proper structure just for some skill-less kid to throw on a ttar and call himself good. And there are so many golden opportunities you or your opponent can make to alleviate your Landorus-I's weaknesses. It has the ability to constantly evolve around the meta giving it no counters, after considering the fact they get fucked by pursuit.

I'm going to try and mix things up and state my reasonings on why or why not Landorus-I should/shouldn't be banned. Well to start things off I personally say (probably like every other person that uses this monster would say) this pokemon, is very versatile but very fun to use, if I do say so myself. Thats not the point, the point is when I look further into the metagame and focus on it's sheer power and the damage it can cause, something needs to happen.

For starters, Landorus-I is an extremely broken pokemon, it's also very meta defining and 100% restricting to a proper well thought out build. It has the ability to shape it's way around the metagame giving it no counters except for mega latias and cresselia. It's only counters are fucked by Tyranitar or other pursuit trappers and apparently because you slap those two mons on a team, you're considered good? lol no, this is poor structure with none to very little team support as it can utterly destroy and completely annihilate these teams and so called "checks" or "counters". Just like anyone else would would say and/or agree with me on, it's very easy to click "ez mode" aka rock polish and sweep. Yeah winning, or getting points is fun but you're not looking into how much of a threat this is. Just like Aegislash, this thing restricts team building and it's very unhealthy for the metagame. This monster isn't much healthier for the meta then Greninja was. When teambuilding every thought running through my head was "how do I alleviate the fact that lose to Landorus-I?" Depending on my style of play or what type of style I am building at the time I would say for hyper offense, I'll add Weavile, Mamo, or Azumarill or Balanced, I would say Assault Vest Torn-T, SpDef Zapdos, or Mega-Lati. Stall would be Cresselia or to an extreme degree, skarmory depending on it's set. That's the problem "depending on it's set". I, nor anyone else for that matter should have to run a ice Shard user, or Aqua Jet user just to beat this broken mon. As I previously stated, I mentioned the fact that I would slap on a AV Torn-T or SpDef Zapdos. As aim stated, it gets smacked by a rock slide as that move alone is rising in popularity, so that just makes it worthless. On to calm mind sets. Calm Mind sets isn't nearly as common as Rock Polish or SR sets it's still very unhealthy and in an all-in-all conclusion this thing has no true counters. In my opinion, this mon has no thinking to it, whatsoever. I personally feel that banning this monster would clear the metagame up and give us that fun and balanced or fair metagame that we have been looking for.

While I'm glad you took the time to refer to my post point by point your post actually makes me want to just stop posting in this thread for arguing about this isn't fun anymore because in your entire post you have:

1. Not made 1 regard to the issue about Lando's brokenness or presence on the metagame, which is the point of the discussion. You've pretty much just deconstructed my post to try to make Landorus seem different from other balance breakers when in reality they all break balance really good.

2. Used arguments that are plainly wrong, stuff runs hp ice for lando? Good joke. It's being run for good coverage with other attacking types and to hit for quad SE mons that are actually bulky such as Gliscor, Landorus-T, Garchomp, Dragonite, etc. Landorus switching in on resisted moves? Fighting attacks, maybe. Switching Lando on a U-Turn is pretty much the worst play you could do and poison attacks are pretty much only ran as STAB (with the exception of Landorus itself, and Conkeldurr, maybe). That's in addition to Kyurem's ability to take even SE hits while Lando barely takes neutral.

3. Make obsolete points. I'm pretty much sure 100% of the people watching this thread know the trade choice scarf makes. However if the scarf is revealed when Kyu-b outsped that thing is probably dead because you stayed on it and I have now blown a hole in your offensive core because you didn't scout for the item. Kyu-b forcing you to scout for its item gives its user momentum and the option to bluff a scarf to get a free hit or free sub on things it would usually can't, which is something Landorus never gets. Manaphy also has some great items to make its opponent question itself when he doesn't see leftovers recovery such as Wacan Berry, Splash plate and maybe a few more which I don't know because I honestly don't use Manaphy as often as the other 2.

Anyway this is all straying from the main point which is that the pro-ban side don't actually have an argument to which why Landorus is broken or unhealthy for the metagame. Someone will probably deconstruct this post as well to show why I'm "wrong" but this has really taken the fun out of this so you really shouldn't bother anymore.​
1. My point was to show that Landorus has traits that allow him to break balance as well as if not better than the mons he was compared to while also being lower cost due to being much harder to wear down than Kyurem-B and presenting a more immediate threat to grab momentum more easily than Manaphy. No one is arguing that other mons can't break balance, but Landorus is able to break Balance and more at little cost or trouble.

2. I don't know where I made the point of stuff running HP Ice specifically for Landorus in that post (I don't recall mentioning the move period even). My point on typing was that Landorus resists a number of relevant types, with CC being the primary choice of STAB for OU's Fighting types, while having an immunity to Ground, Electric (offset by most electrics naturally carrying Ice coverage of some kind), and being neutral to some types Kyurem-B is weak to, which does become an issue since Kyu-B's bulk only gets him so far against Super Effective hits coming off the tier's powerful attackers. Landorus has a bit more of a chance surviving them just on the basis of neutrality/resistance outright cutting them in half. And the types that Landorus has over Kyurem are some of the most commonly used attacking types in OU.

3. I didn't want to insinuate people don't know what kind of trade a Scarf entails, but I was pointing out that Kyurem is outright losing some effectiveness in his role breaking Balance because of the Scarf's mechanics, compared to Landorus still being able to break Balance pretty effectively with his Rock Polish set. Kyu-B doesn't exactly force you to scout his item in any significant way because his defensive checks aren't handled any better. Maybe his offensive checks have more trouble, but switching Kyurem in on something that was offensively checking him gives away the Scarf, whereas leaving it in will net you the one kill and that's about it. Kyurem-B's scarf isn't even considered his "standard" set, far from bad, but not what people assume Kyurem will have when playing against him. Manaphy can run plenty of items, but as I noted they don't mitigate the primary flaw Manaphy incurs: needing to set up to do significant damage, and thus having extreme trouble getting momentum up under offensive pressure. This is a severe problem that is inherent to Manaphy, not just a Manaphy set, in practice.

If the pro-ban side "[didn't] have an argument to which why Landorus is broken or unhealthy", this thread wouldn't have even been posted in the first place. We need to argue why Landorus is unhealthy for the metagame (in a very simplified manner: he's too low risk, high reward a way to break balance without compromising match up with the remaining playstyles), while the anti-ban side needs to argue why Landorus is not unhealthy on his own merits. Comparing him to things like Kyurem-B and Manaphy needs to exemplify why his pros over them don't outweigh theirs over him. Landorus is not a perfect Pokemon, but the sum of his pros, in my opinion, outweigh his cons to such a degree that he performs too well for how little risk there is to putting him on a team. He's not like Salamence or Kangaskhan where he was just absurdly good at something: rather, the sum of Landorus's parts amounts to a mon that, in my opinion, is not healthy for the metagame because the degree to which he restricts teambuilding just by existing, much less how he's played, is not healthy.

No my argument is that with the disappearance of Lando-I, different variations of M-Sable stall has increased tenfold. You no longer need the M-Sable + Chansey/Cressilia core cancer as Lando isn't a threat anymore. This gives stall teams much more variety in what they pick and how they deal with teams. It's makes the meta much more matchup dependent then what it used to me. Kyu-B isn't a stallbreaker, in fact it loses to a lot of things on stall now. M-Hera is revenge killed by Goth on stall easily. If you're running skarm or ferro on stall then you're running Shed Shell unless you want to lose. Goth is beatable by M-Sable. Zardx is beaten by Quag. Also these possibilities are made because the typical stall steam doesn't need a Chansey/Cress as much as it used to anymore.
We actually want to give stall teams more variety on how to deal with teams, because the more varied teams are, the more answers that emerge to counter them and the more interesting the game becomes. To me, your argument concerning the rise of M-Sableye stall can be easily manipulated to form a pro-ban one; i.e. more variation on stall teams will relieve the staleness of the meta rather than promote it. I personally hate stall at the moment, partly because it takes far to long to play with, and partly because all the teams start to look the same after a while. In fact, I earned the latter half of my reqs by using a typical stall team (M-Sab, Chansey, Quag, Fable, Jirachi, Skarm), and aside from finding the game very boring, I never felt unbeatable. Stall breakers (especially rain dance Manaphy) can all be played well enough to pressure these teams and ultimately eliminate them. Just some examples (because everyone seems to need them): M-Chomp/SD Chomp, Char-Y, fast taunt users (sure, Sab can switch in, but it needs to stay healthy and can't retaliate well), Manaphy (as already mentioned), M-Gyarados, Gothitelle and M-Gardevoir have a field day with stall, provided they are actually played decently.

Landorus-I may be on the list of mons that deal with stall, but it is also a fundamental reason why that playstyle can seem so dry at times. Limiting options for a playstyle is NOT an argument to keep Landorus around, it's actually quite the opposite. Your other points have been bashed enough in this thread, so I'll leave it at that. Also, I'm far too late to actually jump in on this, since it's already a week old argument.

Lando is a great wallbreaker and barely has switch-ins. That's true, no denying about that.
However, having no switch-ins doesn't mean broken. Remember BW Hydreigon? No switch-ins either. Why wasn't it broken?
[/hide]
Why? Because it didn't have rock polish access and didn't hit as hard and also was worn down by life orb recoil. On top of this Hydregion was the talk of a lot of suspects despite having these huge drawbacks which Landorus does not suffer from.

Just clarifying this comparison is pretty bad, also the rockslide calcs you gave? Are these supposed to be bad? all this does is prove zpados is an easy 2hko, lol.

Also you fail to acknowledge landorus uses its immunities for free switch ins, it does not come in usually to take a hit.

The difference between Lando and other wallbreakers and other "near-impossible to counter" mons is the low-risk high reward factor Lando offers. Neutral to SR, doesn't need to setup to be a threat, no recoil from life orb, 2 immunities and good defensive typing and respectable bulk for offensive mon and good speed tier.
I would tend to disagree with this. Against less offensively based teams Landorus is a very good wallbreaker and capable of putting in work but 101 base speed isn't exactly what it used to be. Unboosted Landorus allows Keldeo, Scarf Kyu-b, Thundurus (HP ice), Starmie to outspeed and often get OHKO'd by these.

Gliscor is obviously a great defensive Pokemon but I would also disagree that ground-flying is a great defensive typing. You are x4 weak to one of the most commonly used offensive coverage moves (HP Ice) in the game. Gliscors defensive stat distribution normally allows it to live one of these if properly invested however as you said Landorus is obviously an offensively oriented mon that is normally fainted by any x4 SE attack.

I think that it's capable of sweeping slow weakened teams but generally an unboosted variant can be handled or whittled down with relative ease. I still think the two most threatening variants are the rock polish and calm minds sets.

I would tend to disagree with this. Against less offensively based teams Landorus is a very good wallbreaker and capable of putting in work but 101 base speed isn't exactly what it used to be. Unboosted Landorus allows Keldeo, Scarf Kyu-b, Thundurus (HP ice), Starmie to outspeed and often get OHKO'd by these.
Yes but the caveat is that Lando-I is a wall-breaker first and foremost so he isn't necessarily required to put in work against the threats you mentioned as they aren't his most relevant targets, unless you aim for RP sets but again cleaning up is a luxury to wall breaking. The problem here is if you shoe horn Lando-I to what you believe to be his best set, by your post CM or RP, as a set-up sweeper it misses out understanding the pressure he places on balance or stall -- who are threatened without the need for a boost.

Breaking or putting a lot of pressure to bulky defensive cores who are generally slower than him are what you aim for, the other roles as either a lure via AoA or late game sweeper are just part of his versatility in so much that they don't compromise his primary role while adding another option on top of it -- meaning it doesn't end up as an either or (unlike say Kyu-B using a scarf giving up his wall breaking prowess and ability to switch moves).

Put another way this is why he is suspect to other wall breakers because of his role compression without much opportunity costs to arguably balance it out.

Last edited:
It is the best wallbreaker and it is pretty fast but the meta can adapt to it by becoming faster. With it in the meta, everyone has to run fast teams because slower bulkier teams most likely get wrecked by a Lando set (not by all of them though) and need to be vary careful switching around. It is without doubt the best non-mega wallbreaker and it also gets RP to potentially sweep. However, it does have trouble switching in on things. Every fast pokemon in the tier beats it (bar scarf Lando-T), so you can only really switch in on slow pokemon or on the revenge on fast pokemon that can't OHKO it (or on a double switch, which is important in high level games). Of course it deserves its S Rank status but it is not too good. Stall will be better if it's gone and we'll have to be more careful of that in the future especially since the good remaining wallbreakers and stallbreakers are mostly megas (except if Mega Sableye is banned in the future in which case stall becomes a joke but this is a discussion for another time). To sum up it doesn't have hard counters that work for every set it an have (except Mega Latias) but with a fast team with momentum you can play around it. I think this is a matter of how you prefer the meta, faster or slower. The key is exactly the fact that it is the best non-mega wallbreaker. If it goes then many more teams' mega slots will be occupied by thing like Mega Gardevoir than now and that's pretty restricting as well.

Here's the thing. Landorus-I does have checks, yes. It also does have counters, yes. But if you look at it's sheer power and the decent amount of bulk it gets for something so offensive, it gets so many ample opportunities to switch-in and get a kill. And that's the problem. Literally everything it comes in, it gets a kill. Oh, you think that your AV Torn-T is here to save the day? Nope, think again. The opposing Landorus-I used Rock Slide! Tornadus-T fainted. That's gone. Hmm your regular Latias/Latios is checking it? Nope, think again. That thing will get hit harder with a knock off than then a Chuck Norris kick.
Alright, well even disregarding just how rare Rock Slide is, you're assuming that Landorus will always have the moves to smack the checks you are running for it, which would be the set of champions argument. Yes, it might have access to these coverage moves, but it can't use all of them at once, you have to look at how it would work in an actual battle rather than how it can work in order to see whether it is broken or not.

Moving on to counters, it has 2. Mega-Latias and Cresselia. Just wait until you hard switch and he doubles to pursuit Tyranitar. There goes both of your counters, gone. But hey, guess what? Lando-I wins now. Now, you're probably thinking. It loses to priority. Well, yes. But the fact he has no reason to sac it gives it many more ample opportunities to get a free switch-in and get a kill. Rinse repeat until all you lose, etc etc.

Landorus-I is the most meta defining Pokemon around. It causes so much hard teambuilding and proper structure just for some skill-less kid to throw on a ttar and call himself good. And there are so many golden opportunities you or your opponent can make to alleviate your Landorus-I's weaknesses. It has the ability to constantly evolve around the meta giving it no counters, after considering the fact they get fucked by pursuit.
This is just plain exaggeration. Fine, TTar + Lando is a threatening core, but there are other checks that you can make use of besides Lati, so a team isn't inherently vulnerable to the Lando + Ttar core from the get-go. It is if you run Lati and no other ways to stop it once it has set up a rock polish that this core becomes threatening, but I would call that a problem with teambuilding rather than with with the core being addressed, and even this is giving you the luxury of assuming that the Landorus user will always be able to double to TTar at the perfect point. As for this idea of Landorus just switching in and getting kills, it's been posted by others in this thread, it has to stop, this is not a good argument at all. I'll go ahead and explain why, there are a few key reasons:
1) "gives it many more ample opportunities to get a free switch-in" Where exactly are these free switch-ins coming from, exactly? Landorus finds it hard to switch in on most stuff without taking a good amount of damage, it doesn't have many resistances, so these free switches aren't as simple as you made out, getting something in for free usually requires either smart play or a sack from the Landorus user, coming in against Hippowdon being the most obvious exception.
2) Fine, hypothetically a Landorus user might be capable of generating free switch-ins for Landorus, but even in this case, this does not make it broken. You could say exactly the same thing about Charizard Y or Gardevoir for instance, you can just switch them in over and over again and shred a team, right? Surely, you don't want those banned? Not that you did in your post, but before anybody mentions Lando's resistance to hazards, it is neutral to SR, same as Gardevoir, and teams don't have to run spikes to not be weak to Gardevoir, so I don't consider that a strong factor at all when deciding whether Landorus is broken or not.

For starters, Landorus-I is an extremely broken pokemon, it's also very meta defining and 100% restricting to a proper well thought out build. It has the ability to shape it's way around the metagame giving it no counters except for mega latias and cresselia. It's only counters are fucked by Tyranitar or other pursuit trappers and apparently because you slap those two mons on a team, you're considered good? lol no, this is poor structure with none to very little team support as it can utterly destroy and completely annihilate these teams and so called "checks" or "counters". Just like anyone else would would say and/or agree with me on, it's very easy to click "ez mode" aka rock polish and sweep. Yeah winning, or getting points is fun but you're not looking into how much of a threat this is. Just like Aegislash, this thing restricts team building and it's very unhealthy for the metagame. This monster isn't much healthier for the meta then Greninja was.
What type of build do you mean exactly? According to this, Landorus should be winning basically every match it's in, but this simply isn't the case. It's not just a matter of clicking Rock Polish and winning, or even pursuit trapping Lati then clicking Rock Polish, that only works when teams rely on a Lati to stop Lando from outright sweeping them and nothing else. As for addressing whether it is broken when considering that a partner can be used to remove the Latis, I don't think it is because while that core is effective at removing the Latis, it simply doesn't work against some of its checks. For example, suppose that I don't rely primarily on Lati to stop Lando I from sweeping, but on Weavile or maybe band Azu. Well, those two pokemon completely demolish that core, Weavile outspeeds both and OHKOs both provided it runs Low Kick. Things like Torn T can come in on Lando and pivot out, sustaining momentum for the opposing team. As for it being as restricting as Aegislash, this doesn't nullify anything by switching into it and and absorbing attacks with its huge number of resistances, and it doesn't have as high of a speed stat as Greninja does, this is a very different case from simply outrunning most of the meta from the get-go and being able to hit all of them with SE STAB moves. It needs to set up to be fast, and even then it can't cover all that Greninja could with the same number of moveslots, it is not anywhere near as threatening.

When teambuilding every thought running through my head was "how do I alleviate the fact that lose to Landorus-I?" Depending on my style of play or what type of style I am building at the time I would say for hyper offense, I'll add Weavile, Mamo, or Azumarill or Balanced, I would say Assault Vest Torn-T, SpDef Zapdos, or Mega-Lati. Stall would be Cresselia or to an extreme degree, skarmory depending on it's set. That's the problem "depending on it's set". I, nor anyone else for that matter should have to run a ice Shard user, or Aqua Jet user just to beat this broken mon. As I previously stated, I mentioned the fact that I would slap on a AV Torn-T or SpDef Zapdos. As aim stated, it gets smacked by a rock slide as that move alone is rising in popularity, so that just makes it worthless. On to calm mind sets. Calm Mind sets isn't nearly as common as Rock Polish or SR sets it's still very unhealthy and in an all-in-all conclusion this thing has no true counters. In my opinion, this mon has no thinking to it, whatsoever. I personally feel that banning this monster would clear the metagame up and give us that fun and balanced or fair metagame that we have been looking for.
Ok, I highly doubt that the sole thing you are considering is how to not flat out lose to the Lando + TTar combination, and it isn't abnormal for HO to run priority that they know will hit a popular/threatening pokemon hard. When you use HO, you should already be using priority of some kind, this isn't a big strain on team building at all. Furthermore, something isn't "worthless" if it is smacked by a very rare coverage move, because it beats at least 90% of all Landorus, generously assuming that this [Other 9.754%] is all taken up the same move. Having no true counters is not something unique to Lando, this is not a reason to ban something.

As for thinking that this will clear up the metagame, or start us off on the track to doing so, you can see indications of where the meta is headed by looking at certain trends in the suspect ladder. If potential voters really liked how the suspect ladder turned out, although I would question as to exactly why this was the case, I'm not realistically going to convince anyone to dislike it. However, if you just saw more of the same stuff you don't like, or, like me, you actually found the suspect ladder noticeably less enjoyable than the regular ladder, then I urge you to vote Do Not Ban on Landorus. Changing the meta for the sake of change does not seem sensible, and having experienced a ladder without Landorus, I can say with a straight face that I really don't believe that it is a culprit for making the meta bad, and I don't actually see ORAS OU as the shipwreck it is sometimes made out to be. Even if you do not like the current meta at all, then be careful not to vote ban just because banning will supposedly fix something, banning Landorus will clearly not lead to some sort of freer meta where you are not as strapped for slots on every team. In fact, just by looking at how many games could be determined by matchup on the suspect, it does not even put the meta on the right track for this goal, in some instances, it actually made this issue worse. Misplaced dislike of the current metagame should hopefully not account for anyone voting one way or the other.

I for one have to agree that Lando I has few and far in between switch ins against HO, I won't comment on stuff that use volturn Lando I cores or BP lopunny plus ttar Lando I core as those aren't a majority but work with great synergy and do exactly what they are supposed to do with few drawbacks.

However the last argument seems to have a huge bias towards hyper offence as no single argument past weavile an banded azu wich aren't splashable on most teams as an answer to said core.

For the entire suspect test we have had few antiban arguments from the stall or balance factions that suffer the most from Lando I as expected, however by posting single elements that either benefit from his presence or at some point are carried onto teams or used as sole examples of reliably checking a core for a single playstyle the more easy it seems to point the finger towards Lando I as a cancerous presence in OU from the team building aspect.

In no way I'm offending your perception of Landorus I, however I would like to see less "offense deals with it"arguments and more reasonable arguments as to why this pokemon doesn't affect negatively the core balance of other playstyles. I don't want to put words on anyone mouth but some arguments even sound that they are just defending a team building crutch at this point.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mur
It is the best wallbreaker and it is pretty fast but the meta can adapt to it by becoming faster. With it in the meta, everyone has to run fast teams because slower bulkier teams most likely get wrecked by a Lando set (not by all of them though) and need to be vary careful switching around. It is without doubt the best non-mega wallbreaker and it also gets RP to potentially sweep. However, it does have trouble switching in on things. Every fast pokemon in the tier beats it (bar scarf Lando-T), so you can only really switch in on slow pokemon or on the revenge on fast pokemon that can't OHKO it (or on a double switch, which is important in high level games). Of course it deserves its S Rank status but it is not too good. Stall will be better if it's gone and we'll have to be more careful of that in the future especially since the good remaining wallbreakers and stallbreakers are mostly megas (except if Mega Sableye is banned in the future in which case stall becomes a joke but this is a discussion for another time). To sum up it doesn't have hard counters that work for every set it an have (except Mega Latias) but with a fast team with momentum you can play around it. I think this is a matter of how you prefer the meta, faster or slower. The key is exactly the fact that it is the best non-mega wallbreaker. If it goes then many more teams' mega slots will be occupied by thing like Mega Gardevoir than now and that's pretty restricting as well.
The problem is that nothing should be forcing teams to have to be fast just to deal with Landorus I, when defensive teams, by nature, are about being able to wear the opponent out (something Landorus is extremely resistant to), and even bulky offense and balance as entire playstyles aren't necessarily speedy for most of their members.

Landorus as a single mon exerts too much pressure on any playstyle that isn't offense for them to be played with much diversity, since so much of the defensive backbone must be dedicated to being prepared for Landorus alone, compared to Manaphy being relatively well handled by Mega Venusaur or Kyu-B by Ferrothorn or Chansey (on Stall).

Nothing requires your Mega slot to be dedicated to a wallbreaker, as there are plenty of options still available in OU without them. The issue is that Landorus, without using the Mega slot and for a number of other reasons, performs as well as if not better than any other wallbreaker does in OU.

And if you think seemingly having to use your Mega for a wallbreaker is restrictive, what about the current state where any playstyle besides offense pretty much has to run 2-3 out of the 9-10 Pokemon that can check Landorus, dedicate their Mega Slot to Latias, or run the extremely passive Cresselia, not to mention offense basically having to minimize the use of anything below 101 speed lest Landorus basically get a free shot at their less than resilient members.

I for one have to agree that Lando I has few and far in between switch ins against HO, I won't comment on stuff that use bolturn Lando I cores or BP lopunny plus ttar Lando I core as those aren't a majority but work with great synergy and do exactly what they are supposed to do with few drawbacks.

However the last argument seems to have a huge bias towards hyper offence as no single argument past weavile an banded azu wich aren't splashable on most teams as an answer to said core.

For the entire suspect test we have had few antiban arguments from the stall or balance factions that duffer the most from Lando I as expected, however by posting single elements that either benefit from his presence or at some point are carried onto teams or used as sole examples of reliably checking a core for a single playstyle the more easy it seems to point the finger towards Lando I as a cancerous presence in OU from the team building aspect.

In no way I'm offending your perception of Landorus I, however I would like to see less offense deals with it arguments and more reasonable arguments as to why this pokemon doesn't affect negatively the core balance of other playstyles. I don't want to put words on anyone mouth but dome arguments even sound that they are just defending a team building crutch at this point.
Alright, that's fine, Weavile is not a splashable threat, there is a specific very offensive type of playstyle that it fits nicely on, as it provides no defensive synergy whatsoever. Personally, with good defensive typing and decent bulk, I can see Banded Azu being used as a breaker for more balanced teams, they usually have at least one, I wouldn't say it is HO exclusive. Saying that Landorus is more threatening towards balanced builds than HO is not something I can deny, but in my numerous mentions of things that can check it, I hope I have actually proved that the RP set isn't some easy win button vs offence teams as has been occasionally made out.

Alright, so to address reasons why I do not think it is too powerful vs more defensive, bulky play styles:
1) It does have some checks. People can point to obscure moves, like Rock Slide, which, as I noted in my previous post, is at less than 10% usage as of the latest ladder statistics, but those moves are rare for a reason, they are specific. By running this move, it gives up on x coverage, so the vast majority of people are inclined to skip something which hits 1 or 2 threats and use a move which hits more. Therefore, I would call Torn-T and sp def Zapdos pretty reliable checks to it, because, at the end of the day, they do beat 90%+ of Lando I.
2) There are other pokemon which also have few switch-ins. Saying that it needs hard counters is not valid, there are pokemon which are very short on switch-ins, and are also totally balanced. You can just look to things like Mega Gardevoir to see this.
3) It can run obscure moves to wreck certain switch-ins, but so can other pokemon, this is quite closely related to my first point. Gardevoir could potentially wreck a Mega Scizor switch-in with will-o-wisp, this was a popular tech move back when Mega Metagross was very popular. However, it does suffer penalties from this, in Gardevoir's case, it couldn't break stall as well, in Landorus', it loses out on coverage that it really needs. Earth Power is evidently not sufficient in itself, it relies on a large range of moves to be as threatening as it is. By running something so specific, you decrease the number of pokemon that it can hit.
4) One argument for banning Landorus is just how hard it hits bulkier playstyles. However, I do not believe that Landorus is actually the best pokemon at doing this in the tier. Suppose that you are playing a more stally build, Manaphy at first glance has far less answers than Landorus does, and it can straight up run through slower teams if they lack checks for the specific move that it is running. Therefore, the argument that it should be banned because it limits the building process of one style seems odd- surely if this were true, the greatest culprits should be suspected in that case?
5) This could be fairly controversial, but I am going to put it down anyway. Suppose that you are using a more defensive build, and somebody who you are playing has a Landorus. Ordinarily, you have good checks to Landorus, for instance, you might be running Torn T, which has other purposes such as handling Gengar nicely, and maybe a Gliscor, a good pokemon as a wincon against other fatter builds and generally a good Clefable answer. I have deliberately chosen these checks because they are not obscure, and they clearly have other good purposes than just checking Landorus. In any case, this particular Landorus happens to run Rock Slide, getting rid of Torn-T after the initial switch-in, and it also carries HP Ice, OHKOing Gliscor. Hell, hypothetically, let's also say you have a Slowking, and it runs Knock Off. Now, somebody could look at this instance and say "Landorus can potentially just beat my team, with this exact moveset, clearly the match is in favour of my opponent winning, therefore, because it can cause a matchup-based loss, I want it banned".

However, there are key factors that you are ignoring by making this statement. Yes, with the right moveset for the right team, Landorus can potentially be very threatening for a semi-stall build. The issue here is that, equally, somebody could come up against this very same semi-stall build with a solid team, maybe they have a Landorus too, but this time, it doesn't have the right set, ie no rock slide when up against a Tornadus-T. They could also look at this team, and consider their options when up against it. Suppose they not only have Landorus as a breaker, but they have CB Azumarill as well, and maybe sp def Talon. Looking at the opposing team, they see that it not only can beat their Landorus, but that it also has VenuTran, I'll mention this because that particular core did become more frequent on the suspect ladder. Venusaur handles Azumarill with ease, and they later learn that Heatran is carrying Stone Edge, making it a very reliable switch-in for what they thought could be a good wincon. Now, equally, they could also say that this match was very clearly in favour of the opponent, but this time, it is the more defensive build that emerges as the victor.

Let's just add another scenario, in this one, there is no Landorus being used at all. Instead, a different semistall user is matched up against somebody with a Manaphy, and so, naturally, they turn to their reliable switch-in for this, let's just pick Celebi. This particular Manaphy carries the moves Ice Beam and Rain Dance in its last two slots, so their "switch-in" gets demolished, and Manaphy can then just run through their team, as it often can, using not only its ridiculous ability to set up, but also its immunity to status. Clearly, the semistall user didn't really have a chance, whatever their impression was at team preview, the match was already lost for them.

What is the key point I am trying to make here? That Landorus does have switch-ins that work most of the time, and that yes, it can potentially run through a defensive team if it has the exact moves it needs, I don't think anybody is going to deny this. What you also have to consider is that defensive cores are inherently more match-up based, and that although there is a possibility that Landorus can give you no real chance of winning if it is carrying exactly what it needs, underlined because this should be a rare occurrence, you can also run into a more offensive team, and because you have solid answers for their breakers, have that match won very easily from team preview, with little to no effort required. Similarly, other pokemon can give you an even lesser chance of winning the match if they are carrying what they need, Landorus is not the sole culprit of this. So while there is the possibility that Landorus can put the user at a serious advantage against a defensive team, this is one of the disadvantages of using a more match-up based style, and there are many other instances where this can occur that do not contain Landorus. It is perfectly natural and healthy that defensive styles can't prepare for every version of every breaker, otherwise that would be a very dull meta that really wouldn't be worth playing. What is true is that defensive styles can prepare for most variants of Landorus without going too far out of their way by utilising the aforementioned Zapdos or Tornadus-T. So, when somebody says something like "If Landorus runs x obscure move, it can completely ruin my passive team", the only proper response, in my opinion anyway, is to point out that Mega Heracross could do a very similar job, and that providing stall with the tools to cover everything by banning is not the goal of the meta.

Last edited:
Alright, that's fine, Weavile is not a splashable threat, there is a specific very offensive type of playstyle that it fits nicely on, as it provides no defensive synergy whatsoever. Personally, with good defensive typing and decent bulk, I can see Banded Azu being used as a breaker for more balanced teams, they usually have at least one, I wouldn't say it is HO exclusive. Saying that Landorus is more threatening towards balanced builds than HO is not something I can deny, but in my numerous mentions of things that can check it, I hope I have actually proved that the RP set isn't some easy win button vs offence teams as has been occasionally made out.

Alright, so to address reasons why I do not think it is too powerful vs more defensive, bulky play styles:
1) It does have some checks. People can point to obscure moves, like Rock Slide, which, as I noted in my previous post, is at less than 10% usage as of the latest ladder statistics, but those moves are rare for a reason, they are specific. By running this move, it gives up on x coverage, so the vast majority of people are inclined to skip something which hits 1 or 2 threats and use a move which hits more. Therefore, I would call Torn-T and sp def Zapdos pretty reliable checks to it, because, at the end of the day, they do beat 90%+ of Lando I.
Ladder usage stats don't prove anything and usage stats in general don't provide a good synopsis for a great argument because the anti-ban side uses these all the time which basically tells me they don't have alot to say about Lando and I understand that it's a wallbreaker and other breakers exist that are similar but Lando probably has the least amount of flaws inbetween all of them and like I said earlier you really shouldn't use usage as an argument because Landorus itself, despite being S rank and broken af is only 19 on usage stats for the ladder which again is pretty unreliable all on its own and shouldn't be a based resource for educated arguments bar shitty arguments that have pretty much no merit and don't actually prove anything. In tournaments Rock Slide is used more often iirc and tbh tournament usage is probably the best place to get your usage stats from if you bother to get them in the first place and you neglect to mention that CM lando still beats SpDef Zapdos at +1 iirc - don't like bash me for it because i don't feel like pulling up the calculator - with Sludge Wave and just b/c Rock Slide is used 10% of the time is still a 10th of Lando's using that move and thus a 10th chance that you outright lose because your check it still going to be demolished and the reality of it is that 10% isn't that low considering the amount of moves that Landorus learns. Usage arguments aside a well built team should be able to take care of aforementioned threats if Landorus lacks these coverage moves and for it's counters U-Turn is actually a great way to deal dmg - cress and latias specifically - to them and get a free switch to something like CB TTar to break these things in half and then get torn apart by Landorus so the harsh truth is that Landorus literally can adapt to any counter or check you throw at it with some form of move and the threats it can't cover should be covered in 1 or 2 teamslots and that honestly isn't asking much because it can usually tear apart the teams it's meant to prey on once these other 'mons are gone and I'm not gonna mention HO at all because there's no point in talking about it b/c Landorus is built to handle stall and balance a lot and that's my focus right now. I don't exactly care that ice types are rising in usage with ice shard but Lando still reigns supreme that goes to show that Lando can easily deal with said threats with team support which is the basis that nobody seems to touch on bar saying 'just use a pursuit trapper hurhurhur' and while both sides of the Lando ban train have had some mistakes and some flaws I will still tell you that the rise of HP Ice on stuff the rise of Weavile the rise on Cress the rise on MLatias (bar new potential, b/c mlatias is good outside of countering lando) just proves to me that Lando is centralizing af and should be seen as such b/c Smogon's style of balancing metagames (which is sometimes preyed upon by smogon haters that fail to realize the players are the people voting on these suspects) is suspecting threats that make our metagame seem stale and frankly overused in the same shit over and over again but if we remove threats that constrain our teambuilding we can finally have a less suffocating metagame and be able to test more threats and shit can become better b/c one of these threats is removed even on the suspect ladder I had so much fun without worrying about Landorus ripping apart my team which honestly is just a less suffocating grip on teambuilding as I am an avid teambuilder and honestly if I didn't have to worry about Lando (which I do now b/c of the suspect ladder being done) I would be having a finer time in this metagame while also being able to spread horizons to make shit more diverse which is what Lando is stopping because tbh people don't realize the level of centralization this thign causes especially for people like me who have like 20 failed teams in their teambuilder b/c of said threats making my teambuilding fail on its ass and what peopel need to start looking at is how Lando basically makes our metagame straight HO happy because that's easily the best way to deal with Landorus and that's honestly not fun for the metagame at all b/c it's all a stale playstyle or a playstyle that dies to Landorus making it almost unplayable without three checks that deal with every combination of move that Landorus carries and sometimes even not liking combos like Knock Off + Rock Slide + HP Ice which honestly is an effective way to lure in 99% of Landorus' checks which also renders your checks dead and holes still punched in your team either way b/c you lost a check or two which is still a lot of hurt on your team because if Landorus cookie cutters it punches holes already but if it lures it still punches holes in the teams it's meant to face and that quite frankly is bullshit and I don't get why people fail to realize that Landorus is diverse as well with it's moves and can break it's own checks and counters with a combination of moves uncommonly seen and plus U-Turn makes the biggest counters to Lando on stall cry themselves to sleep because they just get pursuit trapped and mega destroyed by a good pursuit trapper like Bisharp or Tyranitar, or even MMetagross + Keldeo which is by far the most broken core in this metagame that shouldn't be overlooked at all and it handles so many threats on it's own and basically breaks every form of balance you can muster up and you can even have RP MMeta + CM Landorus + Sub/CM Keldeo to break every playstyle in three mons which of course is still checked by certain threats but what I'm saying is that team support shines with Landorus as a way to get past it's checks and counters which is all Pokemon is about but people seem to fail to realize this and that honestly is pretty stupid and I have myself but quite frankly I took the time to write this shit and that's enough for me. I will stress that Landorus-I can adapt to anything you throw at it and like I said break the three checks balance cores with the combos of moves that literally just lure in all it's checks and blow them away which is still a big threat all on its own by blowing a chunk of 2-3 mons on your team when Landorus beats the others by being there and not knowing its moveset which proves that scouting is a neccesity but this kinda just pulls the whole Greninja comparison into play but lessening it to an extent because Landorus isn't as diverse or threatening as it but the thing is that Landorus is still unable to surely check confidently bar MLatias and Cress (but then u-turn, so lol) unless you know it's moveset which brings up the hard to counter argument and honestly some pro banners have blown Lando out or proportion but soem anti-banners have also kept Lando on a tranquilizer and there should be a happy medium at this point.

Also I'm Rick Astley this wasn't all aimed at you so don't think that this was aimed at pretty much everyone (even other pro banners!) I just wanted to address the usage thing b/c that annoys me tbh.

tl;dr Landorus can adapt to any threat with a good move on it and team support nullifies everything you can say about it and it is literally the strongest wallbreaker in this tier b/c of this combination.

Also sorry about this being convuluted, I types this up in a hurry and didn't feel like making it more readable, I'm sorry :(.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)