UU Simple Questions Thread

YABO

King Turt
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
How good/bad is Espeon in UU?
Espeon isn't bad, it's definitely just underrated imo. It was severely overshadowed by Alakazam for the longest time but now with Zam's departure, Espeon can more reasonably compete with Azelf as an offensive Psychic type. Not great but definitely not bad.

How good/bad is Espeon in UU?

edit: also reasoning would be appreciated.
Espeon's ability also puts pressure on you opponent whether or not to go for hazards or to go for a status move. Espeons calm mind set can beat stall pretty easy as well. Not fantastic but has some great niches

Aight so im from last gen uu and chandelure was a god, how well does it fit in this meta? I haven't tried to use him yet on any of my teams.

Kreme

You might be right but you're not correct.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Aight so im from last gen uu and chandelure was a god, how well does it fit in this meta? I haven't tried to use him yet on any of my teams.
He fits quite well, being one of the few spinblockers, as well as having a huge special attack and for the most part unresisted dual STABs. Choice Specs and Substitute + Calm Mind sets are arguably the most viable, with Choice Scarf coming in last. Substitute + Calm Mind is a great stallbreaker and setup sweeper, while Choice Specs is an amazingly powerful wallbreaker. Choice Scarf is a decent revenge killer, but more so than that it's a complete stop to all Lucario sets and is a good lure for Hydreigon, especially since it has Memento in its arsenal. Chandelure is a great stop to the standard Curse Snorlax (mono attacking with Body Slam), but all sets aside from Substitute + Calm Mind need to Trick it in order to do anything of note to it. Chandelure's got decent bulk and good offensive typing, but it's quite slow and prone to Pursuit trapping, mainly from the likes of Mega Aerodactyl and Krookodile. It's also good to note that Choice Scarf sets are unable to outspeed Mega Aerodactyl.

So basically the same haha, I used to use trick flame orb to surprise cripple some of the counters that would want to revenge or even swap in to help wear down stall mons. I'd have to test it but it was really good against pursuit lax if that's still a thing rofl.

also, most curselaxs that I've seen (including my own) run a coverage move instead of sleep talk. I personally run EQ, but I've seen Crunch and Ice punch used to it's strength too, so just be careful when trying to trick lax.

also, most curselaxs that I've seen (including my own) run a coverage move instead of sleep talk. I personally run EQ, but I've seen Crunch and Ice punch used to it's strength too, so just be careful when trying to trick lax.
Its more of on the switch in when they come to tank your shadow ball or fblast

Kreme

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Well those variants are mostly used in tandem with a cleric, but should the opponent lack one, the standard Sleep Talk variant usually proves more effective, as you don't want Snorlax to be useless for two turns. Although I'm mostly sure Sleep Talk is still more popular.

What Hoopa set do you think would be most viable in the current meta. Originally I thought scarf but its rather slow for a acarfer being outsped by mega beedrill and get trapped and killed by pursuit maero. Someone in the uu room said TR would be most viable. Its a little too fast for tr imo as umbreon outslows and kills under tr along with other walls having knock off. Will this thing even be worth playing?

Kreme

What Hoopa set do you think would be most viable in the current meta. Originally I thought scarf but its rather slow for a acarfer being outsped by mega beedrill and get trapped and killed by pursuit maero. Someone in the uu room said TR would be most viable. Its a little too fast for tr imo as umbreon outslows and kills under tr along with other walls having knock off. Will this thing even be worth playing?
Considering negative Speed nature and 0 Speed IVs Hoopa is going to be slower than Umbreon lol. Besides, I'm pretty sure the benchmark for Trick Room Speed-wise is Chandelure, I, personally, wouldn't use any Trick Room Pokemon quicker than it unless its name is Victini. Theorymon only gets so far but if anything outside Trick Room I don't think it would be too great, especially considering the underwhelming Speed and even worse Defense. I would say its most viable sets would Trick Room, Specs or some attacking set with Thunder Wave.

Why was Venomoth banned? Was it because Quiver Dance + Baton Pass was too broken? And if so, then why not ban just the combination of Quiver Dance and Baton Pass?

Why was Venomoth banned? Was it because Quiver Dance + Baton Pass was too broken? And if so, then why not ban just the combination of Quiver Dance and Baton Pass?
Yeah I wasn't around for this era but I believe the compound eyes, sleep powder and quiver pass was unhealthy for that meta and would be for this meta. The council has thought of banning moves on BL pokes to make them viable again but it ultimately strays too far from simplicity of the ban system. There was a lot of discussion on letting smeargle back in uu if we banned baton pass from its move pool. There is a lot of controversy on the topic. I personally think banning specific moves for specific mons takes away from DS tier playing.

YABO

King Turt
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Yeah I wasn't around for this era but I believe the compound eyes, sleep powder and quiver pass was unhealthy for that meta and would be for this meta. The council has thought of banning moves on BL pokes to make them viable again but it ultimately strays too far from simplicity of the ban system. There was a lot of discussion on letting smeargle back in uu if we banned baton pass from its move pool. There is a lot of controversy on the topic. I personally think banning specific moves for specific mons takes away from DS tier playing.
It was actually Wonder Skin which eliminated the amount of counterplay with moves like taunt having severely reduced accuracy. Complex bans are a no go for the most part due to complicating things for a large player base and causing confusion.

nv

The Lost Age
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Is the Pidgman gonna be playable or not in the upcoming suspect test ladder ?
Usually only OU suspect ladder disallows the use of said suspect, but most other suspects in lower tiers allow it on the ladder. However, Sam had said they were looking to find ways to build the suspect testing to a higher level, so it may or may not be, but based on past ladders, it will be allowed.

Kreme

I don't think it will be allowed, since based off suspect tests in general, there's no reason for Pidgeot to be allowed in this suspect as we've had it in the tier for quite a while so they'd probably not have Pidgeot on the ladder to see how the metagame would be without it.

Yeah, when testing whether or not to reintroduce a Pokemon we'd have it on the ladder so that we can see if it's balanced, but when testing whether or not to ban a Pokemon we want to see the tier without it present.

Reactions: nv
I agree, but do keep in note that on suspect ladders people tend to blatantly overprepare for the pokemon in question and also tend to shy away from using the pokemon itself (although this primarily relates to more inexperienced players) and that a ladder where a pokemon is being suspected tends to take completely different shape in terms of how prepared the ladder is for said pokemon. There's nothing wrong with testing Pidgeot while Pidgeot is still legal on ladder because the ladder will centralize around pidgeot and we'll be able to see how broken it really is firsthand when all attention is on itself.

For Mega Sharpedo, can you run Poison Fang instead of Poison Jab for a little less power in exchange for a badly poisoning chance?

atomicllamas

but then what's left of me?
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Nope :p
Poison Fang = 50 BP
Poison Jab = 80 BP
Strong Jaw = 1.5x multiplier
50 x 1.5 = 75
80 > 75
Yes but poison fang inflicts toxic status, where as poison jab inflicts regular poison.
For Mega Sharpedo, can you run Poison Fang instead of Poison Jab for a little less power in exchange for a badly poisoning chance?
Yes, it's very viable, inflicting toxic damage can be very useful alongside protect to break through certain defensive answers.

LilOu

PO poopyhead
Yes, it's very viable, inflicting toxic damage can be very useful alongside protect to break through certain defensive answers.
Yeah, this is true, but you also have to take into account that when playing vs. a faster paced team usually regular poison will be better, since it takes off 12% the first turn, while badly poison will do 6% + Poison Jab does slightly more. It's a matter of preference; both do the work they need to.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)