Status
Not open for further replies.

-kal-

hi guys
is a Contributor Alumnus

QC: Sweep
GP:

[OVERVIEW]
  • Has great ability in Poison Heal, which makes it a reliable status absorber when used with Toxic Orb
  • Has plenty of longevity due to Poison Heal and recovery from Roost
  • Can check many threats in the tier such as Primal Groudon, Arceus-Ground and Zekrom.
  • It is set-up fodder for many pokemon in the tier such as Mega Salamence, Swords Dance Rayquaza, Calm Mind Arceus Formes, Nasty Plot Darkrai and Geomany Xerneas as they are guaranteed to boost at least once as they outspeed Gliscor before it can Taunt
  • Faces competition as a Stealth rock setter in the tier with Primal Groudon
  • Average Special bulk by ubers standard which leaves it very vulnerable to special attackers in the tier
  • Weakness to Water- and Ice-Types, moves that are quite common

[SET]
name: Stealth Rock
move 1: Stealth Rock
move 2: Earthquake / Taunt
move 3: Roost / Taunt
move 4: Toxic
item: Toxic Orb
ability: Poison Heal
nature: Careful
evs: 248 HP / 20 Def / 204 SpD / 36 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========
  • Stealth Rock provides crucial support for teams
  • Earthquake is for Gliscor's STAB move of choice and it hits Fire- and Steel-Types for decent damage such as Primal Groudon and Non Shuca Dialga
  • Taunt makes Gliscor stops pokemon from using Defog, Rest or set up entry hazards
  • Roost provides longevity and keeps Gliscor healthy for a long time when coupled with Poison Heal recovery
  • Toxic can cripple and wear down Gliscor's common switch-ins such as Primal Kyogre, Mega Salamence, Arceus-Water and Yveltal

Set Details
========
  • A Toxic Orb for activating Poison Heal which provides plenty of longevity
  • The HP evs to maximize Gliscor's bulk
  • The special defense evs with a careful nature ensures that Gliscor can avoid the 2HKO from Primal Groudon's Lava Plume and Judgement from support Arceus-Formes
  • The defense evs, while may seem little, ensures that Arceus-Ground's +2 Stone Edge will not 2HKO Gliscor
  • 36 Speed evs outspeeds uninvested or minimum investment base 99 pokemon and below such as Yveltal, Xerneas and Ho-oh and to Taunt them before they can do anything
  • A physically defensive set is an option to check physical attackers more consistently but the meta does not favor a physically defensive spread

Usage Tips
========
  • Used primarily on balanced or stall teams
  • Be careful of Gliscor's Toxic Orb getting knocked off or being exposed to Burn, sleep or paralysis before it is poisoned as it would severely cripple it
  • it should be noted that Gliscor cannot check some physical attackers effectively such as Mega Salamence and Extremekiller Arceus
  • Switch Gliscor into pokemon that cannot do much against it such Defensive Primal Groudon or Defensive Yveltal and proceed to Toxic to wear them down
  • Try to predict Gliscor's common switch-ins such as Arceus-Water, Primal Kyogre and Mega Salamence and use Toxic or Taunt on them to cripple them
  • Though Gliscor loses to Calm Mind+Refresh Arceus-Formes, it can easily take a hit from an unboosted Judgement so switch into those if needed

Team Options
========
  • Arceus-Rock is a great partner for Gliscor as it can check Rayquaza and Mega Salamence while Gliscor handles Swords Dance Arceus-Ground, and defensive variants of Primal Groudon
  • Pokemon that can handle Primal Kyogre such as Primal Groudon, Palkia and Ferrothorn also pair well with Gliscor and the latter provides Spike support though Palkia is a very shaky check. Primal Groudon also has the added benefit of being able to check Geomancy Xerneas and appreciates Gliscor's ability to beat Arceus-Ground.
  • Physically defensive Primal Kyogre makes a great partner in particular as it covers Gliscor's weaknesses perfectly. It can also nail Rayquaza and Mega Salamence with an Ice Beam and beats Mixed Rock Polish Primal Groudon, all of which can beat Gliscor.
  • Mega Sableye works well with Gliscor as it can handle physical attackers that Gliscor has trouble with such as Extremekiller Arceus and Ice Punch Mewtwo X
  • Klefki is also an excellent partner as it can not only provide Spike support, but also check pokemon that Gliscor has trouble with such as Darkrai and Geomancy Xerneas
  • Pokemon that utilizes Heal Bell and Aromatheraoy should not be paired with Gliscor as they will only hinder it by removing its Toxic

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============
  • Knock Off
  • U-Turn
  • Sub+Protect

Checks and Counters
===================
  • Primal Kyogre
  • Arceus-Water
  • Mega Sableye
  • Offensive Palkia
  • Knock Off
  • Flying-Types and levitators such as Shaymin-Sky, Rayquaza, Mega Salamence and Giratina-O
  • Powerful physical attackers such as Ekiller, DD Mence, SD Arceus-Ghost
  • Ice-Types such as Kyurem-W and pokemon that carry Ice-Type move coverage such as Ice Punch Mewtwo X and Ice Beam from Lugia and Arceus-Ground
  • Special Setup sweepers such as Calm Mind+Refresh Arceus formes, Rock Polish Mixed Primal Groudon and Calm Mind Primal Kyogre

Last edited:

shrang

General Kenobi
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Gliscor needs Special Defense for ORAS, otherwise you're going to get torn to shreds by P Donner using Lava Plume. How much, I'm not too sure. It would also be wise to give it 36 Spe to outrun stuff like 0 Spe Yveltal/Xerneas too.

-kal-

hi guys
is a Contributor Alumnus
Gliscor needs Special Defense for ORAS, otherwise you're going to get torn to shreds by P Donner using Lava Plume. How much, I'm not too sure. It would also be wise to give it 36 Spe to outrun stuff like 0 Spe Yveltal/Xerneas too.
It needs near max spdef (like 204 EVs) with a careful nature to actually avoid the 2HKO from Pdon's lava plume after poison heal recovery so should i make another set to spdef or change the current spread?

A 248 HP / 16 Def spread gives Gliscor all the physical bulk it needs to check to check Swords Dance Arceus-Ground effectively:

+2 252 Atk Arceus-Ground Stone Edge vs. 248 HP / 16 Def Gliscor: 168-198 (47.5 - 56%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Poison Heal
+2 252 Atk Arceus-Ground Stone Edge vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Gliscor: 170-201 (48.1 - 56.9%) -- 2% chance to 2HKO after Poison Heal

It can afford to run Shrang's speed creep, which can be nice for hitting defensive Yveltal and Xerneas with Taunt in certain situations. Gliscor is too niche to deserve two sets, and stuff like Choice Scarf Zekrom and other stuff the physically defensive set used to check are uncommon anyway. Physically defensive Gliscor also fails to check Swords Dance Primal Groudon (which will be running Speed):

+2 252+ Atk Primal Groudon Stone Edge vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Gliscor: 189-223 (53.5 - 63.1%) -- 82.4% chance to 2HKO after Poison Heal

Finally, although Gliscor isn't a Calm Mind Arceus check, the specially defensive set can take unboosted Judgments fairly well whereas the physically defensive set cannot.

4 SpA Stone Plate Arceus-Rock Judgment vs. 248 HP / 204+ SpD Gliscor: 138-163 (39 - 46.1%) -- 76.7% chance to 3HKO after Poison Heal
4 SpA Stone Plate Arceus-Rock Judgment vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Gliscor: 193-228 (54.6 - 64.5%) -- 94.1% chance to 2HKO after Poison Heal

Specially defensive>>>physically defensive, and should be the only set. You can mention a physically defensive spread in Set Details. When your skeleton is changed to reflect this, lemme know and I'll be happy to give it a QC check.

-kal-

hi guys
is a Contributor Alumnus
A 248 HP / 16 Def spread gives Gliscor all the physical bulk it needs to check to check Swords Dance Arceus-Ground effectively:

+2 252 Atk Arceus-Ground Stone Edge vs. 248 HP / 16 Def Gliscor: 168-198 (47.5 - 56%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Poison Heal
+2 252 Atk Arceus-Ground Stone Edge vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Gliscor: 170-201 (48.1 - 56.9%) -- 2% chance to 2HKO after Poison Heal

It can afford to run Shrang's speed creep, which can be nice for hitting defensive Yveltal and Xerneas with Taunt in certain situations. Gliscor is too niche to deserve two sets, and stuff like Choice Scarf Zekrom and other stuff the physically defensive set used to check are uncommon anyway. Physically defensive Gliscor also fails to check Swords Dance Primal Groudon (which will be running Speed):

+2 252+ Atk Primal Groudon Stone Edge vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Gliscor: 189-223 (53.5 - 63.1%) -- 82.4% chance to 2HKO after Poison Heal

Finally, although Gliscor isn't a Calm Mind Arceus check, the specially defensive set can take unboosted Judgments fairly well whereas the physically defensive set cannot.

4 SpA Stone Plate Arceus-Rock Judgment vs. 248 HP / 204+ SpD Gliscor: 138-163 (39 - 46.1%) -- 76.7% chance to 3HKO after Poison Heal
4 SpA Stone Plate Arceus-Rock Judgment vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Gliscor: 193-228 (54.6 - 64.5%) -- 94.1% chance to 2HKO after Poison Heal

Specially defensive>>>physically defensive, and should be the only set. You can mention a physically defensive spread in Set Details. When your skeleton is changed to reflect this, lemme know and I'll be happy to give it a QC check.
I changed the spread

Inspirited

There is usually higher ground.
is a Contributor Alumnus
Im just skimming on my phone for now, but definitely remove the lines that say "Gliscor is a stall-breaker"; because its not. Every ORAS Stall team will use Mega Sableye in order to support Lugia and stop mindless hazard setting, but it also comes with the nasty side effect of stopping Taunt based "stall-breakers" from breaking stall.
  • Keep Gliscor away from status and knock off as Toxic Orb would not activate
I know what you meant here, but if you could reword it, that would be great! Its a good point defititely. Also mention that these are non-factors once Gliscor is poisoned.

I haven't read through the entire thing yet, so change these at least, and I will get back to you on Sunday most likely.

Last edited:

shrang

General Kenobi
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
  • Can check many threats in the tier such as Primal Groudon, Arceus-Ground, Zekrom, Latias, Latios and Mega Gengar
I don't think Gliscor checks Lati@s.

• Earthquake is for Gliscor's STAB move of choice and it hits Fire- and Steel-Types for decent damage
And these are?

• 40 Speed evs outspeeds uninvested or minimum investment base 99 pokemon and below such as Yveltal, Xerneas and Ho-oh and to Taunt them before they can do anything
40 Spe is speed creeping. You only need 36 Spe to outspeed min Speed Xerneas/Yveltal. Put the extra 4 somewhere else (probably Defense)

• Though Gliscor loses to Calm Mind+Refresh Arceus-Formes, it can easily take a hit from an unboosted Judgement so switch into those if needed
Add "and Taunt them to stop them from Refreshing or setting up"

-kal-

hi guys
is a Contributor Alumnus
I don't think Gliscor checks Lati@s.

And these are?

40 Spe is speed creeping. You only need 36 Spe to outspeed min Speed Xerneas/Yveltal. Put the extra 4 somewhere else (probably Defense)

Add "and Taunt them to stop them from Refreshing or setting up"
Gliscor can 1v1 non CM variants of Latis but i've removed them for now

Introduction

1. It can only switch on Mega Gengar once, the turn before it Mega Evolves. Nothing lacking Pursuit is really a "good" Mega Gengar check.

2. Change "Mediocre Special bulk which leaves it very vulnerable to special attackers in the tier" to something like "Gliscor has average overall bulk by Ubers standards." I have a problem with the word "mediocre" because a lot of people associate it with "horrible" or "garbage" when it really only indicates something unremarkable. I don't have any major issues with what you said, but readers might misinterpret it.

Set & Set Moves

Looks good.

Set Comments

3. Mention that Gliscor is not 2HKOed by Judgment from support Arceus, which is huge.

Usage Tips

4. Gliscor is betting of using Toxic instead of Taunt on the "common switchins" you noted.

5. Gliscor is outsped by Calm Mind Arceus and will therefore surrender at least one Calm Mind before Taunting it. Gliscor isn't a CM Arceus answer really.

Team Options

6. Ice Punch and Ice Beam are extremely common on Mega Mewtwo X. I agree Rock Arceus is a neat partner on certain teams, it does not beat all Mewtwo X.

7. On that note, Arceus-Water is an awful Primal Kyogre check (it isn't one at all unless it has Grass Knot AND is facing Roar variants) while Palkia is very shaky.

8. Explicitly mention physically defensive Kyogre as a partner, Ice Beam allows it to nail Dragon-Flyings and it will beat mixed Rock Polish Primal Groudon reliably, something Gliscor struggles against.

Other Options

9. Remove Ice Fang, it is never worth it and easily Roost stalled. You're better off using Toxic vs. Mega Salamence on the switch. Other than that, this looks good. What does QC think of SD + Baton Pass? (lol, not even sure that's legal with Poison Heal though)

Checks & Counters

10. Mention offensive Palkia as well.

Looks pretty good, do the above as well as what other QC have said and consider this QC 1/3. Also, work on the team options section a little bit more & find a couple more partners.

im not 100% sold on the mon just due to how circumstantial its effectiveness can be, but it does do /some/ things ok enough
the skeleton leads me to believe you have a good grasp of its limitations so i can approve.
knock off should be removed from c&c though (only deoxys uses it last time i checked), and mention that sd pdon also bops sp def gliscor so scouting the pdon set is essential to making gliscor work.

implement that and consider this QC 2/3

Inspirited

There is usually higher ground.
is a Contributor Alumnus
QC REJECTED 1/3

Gliscor has fallen very far from where it used to be in XY in that it no longer walls Groudon, can't check hardly any physical attackers reliably anymore, provides utility but not enough to justify a team slot, and is not uber and therefor can be rejected :pirate:. I have not been able to build with this thing at all because of its lack of utility for a defensive mon and its mediocrity as a defensive mon. I am not the only one who sees it this way though, Astounded expressed similar concerns when I asked him about it. The analysis was good imo, but the mon is not. It doesn't even work against stall the way it used to. sorry :[

Last edited:
Before you write this up, I tested this Pokemon more with my tutee and both of us thought it was terrible. It cannot fit onto any style a team and doesn't check nearly enough to be worth using. Sorry for the wasted effort, you did a good job with the skeleton and are welcome to take more analyses down the line.

QC Rejected 2/3

-kal-

hi guys
is a Contributor Alumnus
yeah its ok, I understand. This thread should be locked now since I doubt there would be anymore approvals

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)