DOU Effective Cores

SpaceBass

☆ALOLA VERA420: FUKK AMOONGUS AND UR MOM
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
88 SpA Life Orb Blaziken Overheat vs. 44 HP / 0 SpD Landorus-T: 257-304 (77.8 - 92.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Nope :(

Pastelle

we're all star stuff
Okay so FWG cores are really super standard, but I really like this one with Mega Venusaur, a very underrated mon imo

Delfino (Venusaur) (M) @ Venusaurite
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Leech Seed
- Protect

Krakatoa (Heatran) (F) @ Shuca Berry
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 56 HP / 168 Def / 252 SpA / 32 SpD
Quiet Nature
- Heat Wave
- Earth Power
- Flash Cannon
- Protect
Flying Spin Cycle (Rotom-Wash) @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Levitate

EVs: 252 HP / 40 Def / 84 SpA / 120 SpD / 12 Spe
Calm Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Thunderbolt
- Will-O-Wisp
- Protect

Pretty standard sets. The Venusaur set is a standard 252 / 252, while Rotom-W is the standard bulky Sitrus Berry set stolen directly from the SmogDex. The Heatran set is a little different. Its the Substitute spread except I invested the 200 Speed EVs in Defenses, since I use this core in Trick Room. It's actually a really good set. This core can handle almost anything, as every weakness one of these mons has is checked by another. If you can manage to keep only one of these mon out on the field at a time, they can rotate positions to resist literally anything, which I think is pretty cool. The only types that this core doesn't resist is Dark and Ghost, which is why I run Sylveon when I use this core. Since this is such a defensive core, it allows you to run more hyper offensive mons like Shaymin-Sky, Keldeo, and Landorus-T. I didn't start using this till recently, but Trick Room with Cress works fantastic as well. Overall, this is one of the best defensive cores out there in my opinion, and finally gives people a reason to try out Mega Venusaur. :D

Last edited:

Checkmater

It’s just us kittens left, and the rain is coming
is a Tiering Contributor
http://pokemonshowdown.com/damagecalc/

>keld+skymin hasnt been posted

keldeo @ life orb
timid
4 hp / 252 spa / 252 spe
- hydro pump / scald
- quick guard / taunt
- secret sword
- protect

skymin @ focus sash
timid
4 hp / 252 spa / 252 spe
- seed flare
- air slash
- earth power
- protect
>tfw tierleader hates you so much he skims over your post of keldeo+skymin

brb crying myself to sleep, stratos-senpai doesn't even notice me

kamikaze

The King Of Games
is a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Okay so FWG cores are really super standard, but I really like this one with Mega Venusaur, a very underrated mon imo

Delfino (Venusaur) (M) @ Venusaurite
Modest Nature
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Leech Seed
- Protect

Krakatoa (Heatran) (F) @ Safety Goggles
EVs: 56 HP / 168 Def / 252 SpA / 32 SpD
Quiet Nature
- Heat Wave
- Earth Power
- Flash Cannon
- Protect
Flying Spin Cycle (Rotom-Wash) @ Sitrus Berry

EVs: 252 HP / 40 Def / 84 SpA / 120 SpD / 12 Spe
Calm Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Thunderbolt
- Will-O-Wisp
- Protect

Pretty standard sets. The Venusaur set is a standard 252 / 252, while Rotom-W is the standard bulky Sitrus Berry set stolen directly from the SmogDex. The Heatran set is a little different. Its the Substitute spread except I invested the 200 Speed EVs in Defenses, since I use this core in Trick Room. It's actually a really good set. This core can handle almost anything, as every weakness one of these mons has is checked by another. If you can manage to keep only one of these mon out on the field at a time, they can rotate positions to resist literally anything, which I think is pretty cool. The only types that this core doesn't resist is Dark and Ghost, which is why I run Sylveon when I use this core. Since this is such a defensive core, it allows you to run more hyper offensive mons like Shaymin-Sky, Keldeo, and Landorus-T. I didn't start using this till recently, but Trick Room with Cress works fantastic as well. Overall, this is one of the best defensive cores out there in my opinion, and finally gives people a reason to try out Mega Venusaur. :D
I actually really like this core overall for the specific pokemon used and defensive synergy present.

I may not be an expert on using mega venusaur so disregard me if my suggestions are better on paper than practice, but I feel like mega venusaur gets more mileage with investing in bulk as opposed to running the 252spA. I like investing in defense on it specifically.

In particular being able to tank a brave bird from talonflame better as well as sponging hits from strong wallbreakers like Mega-Kangaskhan, while healing back by spreading Leech Seeds is usually how I prefer to use it. Some special attack would definitely help but not completely sure about running max.

Pastelle

we're all star stuff
I actually really like this core overall for the specific pokemon used and defensive synergy present.

I may not be an expert on using mega venusaur so disregard me if my suggestions are better on paper than practice, but I feel like mega venusaur gets more mileage with investing in bulk as opposed to running the 252spA. I like investing in defense on it specifically.

In particular being able to tank a brave bird from talonflame better as well as sponging hits from strong wallbreakers like Mega-Kangaskhan, while healing back by spreading Leech Seeds is usually how I prefer to use it. Some special attack would definitely help but not completely sure about running max.
I like to send out Venusaur late-game, since it's great at stalling out weakened opponents with Leech Seed, and generally winning against things 1v1. So I try removing any checks, especially Talonflame, before it goes out to sit there, collect Leech Seed, and spam Giga Drain and Sludge Bomb. That's why I like to run max Special Attack, to deal final blows on weakened opponents. However, I could see a Venusaur that comes in mid-game with a more defensive spread as well. I might have to try that out.

SpaceBass

I agree with Kami that a more bulky Veu set should be used. With Leech Seed Venu becomes a nightmare to take down.

Venusaur @ Venusaurite
EVs: 252 HP / 124 Def / 76 SpA / 52 SpD / 4 Spe
Bold Nature
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Leech Seed
- Protect

This is a set I've been using, I can't remember what exactly it does (surprise surprise) but it lives a max LO Brave Bird and after recoil has a pretty good chance at finishing Tflame off with Sludge Bomb. Most games I can eliminate Psychic / Flying threats then just sit there and laugh with Leech Seed.

Edit: Have been playing around with this a lot today, and if you don't care about being able to KO Tflame after recoil (which is kind of arbitrary because chances are you'll get some chip damage dealt to you before hand), you can invest all the SpA in bulk and just turn the thing into a HP farm. I use with Arctics Cress / bulky Lando-T core, alongside Light Screen Zapdos. Just doesn't die.

Last edited:

Keldeo-Resolute @ Life Orb
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Protect
- Quick Guard
- Hydro Pump
- Secret Sword

Gengar @ Gengarite
Timid Nature
- Protect
- Sludge Bomb
- Shadow Ball
- Will-O-Wisp

Genesect @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Download
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Ice Beam
- Iron Head
- U-turn
- Explosion

So basically this offensive core is to get advantage of Shadow Tag to lock mons Gengar is weak to and counter with either Genesect or Keldeo. Common threats that M-Gengar cant hit or he is KO faster for them like Bisharp, Lando-T, M-Kangashkan, ect. Genesect and Keldeo can handle them pretty easy.Also, Heatran and Chandelure which are a threat to Genesect gets KO by Keldeo or M-Gengar (Chandelure). And for Keldeo threats like M-Gardevoir and Latios are no problem for the rest. Finally, the core needs partners for Amoonguss, Talonflame, and CharY.

Last edited:
So since Mega Venusaur is trendy as fuck right now, I figured I'd take shot at making one for myself. A problem that I saw with the other venusaur cores I've seen is that they're all super weak to Skymin, Kyub, and to a lesser extent, Heatran. Like, the classic Venu + Heatran + Rotom-W gets roflstomped by the aforementioned skymin and or kyub, which you see one of on like 80% of hyper offense teams. That's an actual statistic btw. ANywho, I came up with this:

jurassic world <3 (Venusaur-Mega) @ Venusaurite
EVs: 252 HP / 124 Def / 76 SpA / 56 SpD
Bold Nature
- Sludge Bomb
- Giga Drain
- Leech Seed
- Protect

ponymon (Keldeo) @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Secret Sword
- Quick Guard
- Protect

eZ bake (Rotom-Heat) @ Safety Goggles
EVs: 252 HP / 24 Def / 104 SpA / 128 Spe
Modest Nature
- Overheat
- Thunderbolt
- Will-O-Wisp
- Protect

Originally, I had Rachi over Keld, but that had me super weak to fire types, so I caved and ended up with F/W/G. So there's a check to pretty much every meta-relevant threat in here (except for latios, but no one cares, memoric). Core seems super solid, haven't put it on a team tho. So the venusaur spread is the one SpaceBass posted. No idea what it does, but it has a lot of numbers, so it makes me look like im good at mons. Keldeo is standard, you can put taunt or w/e over quick guard if you want, but i wanted to feel a little more prepared for talonbird. I'm pretty sure venusaur can take a brave bird, but still. Rotom Heat's evs let it always live a mega diancie diamond storm from full, factoring in spread. Speed lets you outspeed bisharp, and the rest is in SpAtk. The nicknames are pretty good, but i'm not sold on jurassic world yet. i havent even seen the movie yet, but it looks pretty dank, so whatever.

SpaceBass

Camerupt @ Cameruptite
Ability: Solid Rock
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Fire Blast / Heat Wave
- Earth Power
- Hidden Power Ice / Ancient Power
- Protect

Jellicent @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Water Absorb / Cursed Body
EVs: 212 HP / 140 Def / 108 SpA / 48 SpD
Quiet Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Will-O-Wisp
- Trick Room
- Protect

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 172 Atk / 84 Def
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Power Whip
- Gyro Ball
- Leech Seed
- Protect

Got another FWG that I've been really enjoying. This Trick Room core focuses on finding opportunities for Camel to get in and do some damage. I use Fire Blast on the team I use this with because power but Heat Wave works too. Ferro and Jelli provide nice switch-ins to Water-type moves. Ferro is able to hit Waters hard and Leech Seed bulkier mons that can't outdamage Leftovers and Leech Seed, which can be a fairly solid win condition depending on what they have left. Jellicent can set Trick Room for its partners, aswell as gain health from Water Absorb by switching-in to Water moves aimed at Camel or other partners. It can also burn Ground-types such as Landorus-T or other threats like the occasional Gyarados. This core has trouble with dragons, mainly Hydreigon, so Sylveon makes a great partner.

Edit: shrop05 I do normally run Cursed Body because random disable chaos is funny as hell, I agree with you on that so will slash it.

Last edited:

Camerupt @ Cameruptite
Ability: Solid Rock
Quiet Nature
- Fire Blast / Heat Wave
- Earth Power
- Hidden Power Ice / Ancient Power
- Protect

Jellicent @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 212 HP / 140 Def / 108 SpA / 48 SpD
Quiet Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Will-O-Wisp
- Trick Room
- Protect

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 172 Atk / 84 Def
Brave Nature
- Power Whip
- Gyro Ball
- Leech Seed
- Protect

Got another FWG that I've been really enjoying. This Trick Room core focuses on finding opportunities for Camel to get in and do some damage. I use Fire Blast on the team I use this with because power but Heat Wave works too. Ferro and Jelli provide nice switch-ins to Water-type moves. Ferro is able to hit Waters hard and Leech Seed bulkier mons that can't outdamage Leftovers and Leech Seed, which can be a fairly solid win condition depending on what they have left. Jellicent can set Trick Room for its partners, aswell as gain health from Water Absorb by switching-in to Water moves aimed at Camel or other partners. It can also burn Ground-types such as Landorus-T or other threats like the occasional Gyarados. This core has trouble with dragons, mainly Hydreigon, so Sylveon makes a great partner.
Solid as fuck core ngl
I've used this actual core before and one thing I like doing is using Cursed Body over Water Absorb on Jelly. For the most part, I never can lure someone to use scald/hydro into Jelly and even without Water Absorb no water type attack even touches it. Cursed Body is nice for the hax chance tho:]
Just a suggestion tho I really like the trio man

Politoed @ Damp Rock
Ability: Drizzle
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Icy Wind
- Helping Hand
- Protect

Charizard-Mega-Y @ Charizardite Y
Ability: Drought
EVs: 244 Def / 156 SpA / 108 Spe
Modest Nature
- Heat Wave
- Solar Beam
- Overheat
- Protect

A core ive been using recently and had a lot of fun with. Rain teams struggle with kyurem b and ferrothorn, charizard y beats the both. evs live kanga return and ohko sub kyurem b. Im using toxic on toed for cm cress but any move is useful there. Icy wind is amazing with zard too as it can then outspeed a lot more and deal more damage. Politoed deals with rock types too.

Arcticblast edit: I changed Toxic to Helping Hand; Toxic is a really niche tech, and most good teams should be prepared for CM Cress without having to run it.

SpaceBass

Diancie @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 192 HP / 108 Atk / 208 SpA
Quiet Nature
- Trick Room
- Diamond Storm
- Moonblast
- Protect

Abomasnow @ Abomasite
Ability: Snow Warning
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpA
Quiet Nature
- Blizzard
- Giga Drain
- Ice Shard
- Protect

Heatran @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA
Quiet Nature
- Heat Wave
- Earth Power
- Substitute
- Protect

Trick Room trio here who deal with eachothers weaknesses pretty well. Diancie deals with Fire, Flying and Fighting types while Abomasnow can deal with bulky Waters, Ground and Grass types that trouble Diancie. Heatran can switch in to any Steel attack and scare them out, aswell as providing a safe switch in for Abomasnow. Weakness Policy on Diancie makes it really powerful after it activates, and Substitute is used on Heatran to take advantage of the switches the strong spread spam this core takes advantage of creates. Ice Shard on Abomasnow keeps Heatran and Diancie safer from Landorus-T.

Last edited:

xzern

for sure
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

Diancie-Mega @ Diancite
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 208 Atk / 48 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Diamond Storm
- Moonblast
- Earth Power
- Protect

Landorus (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
Timid Nature
- Earth Power
- Focus Blast
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Protect

Mega Diancie is able to form a very nice offensive core with the relatively obscure pokemon, Landorus-I. For one, Landorus does a good job of getting rid of most of the steel types that limit Diancie from sweeping easily. For example, Landorus is able to ohko Aegislash in shield forme, Shuca Heatran, and Ferrothorn. Landorus also discourages Lando-T from switching in, since Lando-T can't do much to its Incarnate counterpart. Lando-I, however, can OHKO Lando-T with HP ice. Mega Diancie also assists Landorus by eliminating threats that it would normally have trouble with, like Thundurus or Keldeo. Since this core is weak to bulky grass types for the most part, it's recommended that you run a pokemon with powerful flying stabs to accompany it, like Skymin or Talonflame.

edit: spacebass, just a suggestion--you may want to organize the cores in the op like the way that it is in this op, for the purpose making it look cleaner and not going over the word limit so quickly. it might also be more convenient if you have more categories rather than just misc, you could divide it up into tr, weather, balanced, etc. just a suggestion, though.

Last edited:

SpaceBass

The problem with editing like that (aside from the fact that I forgot to reserve the second post) is that I've changed some of the sets that people posted before going in the OP, and I can't edit them myself while still linking to the posts in the OP. I will make more categories for ease of navigation though.

gengarrrr @ Gengarite
Ability: Shadow Tag
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Sludge Bomb
- Disable
- Protect

honor roll @ Life Orb
Ability: Speed Boost
EVs: 80 Atk / 176 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Overheat
- Superpower
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Protect

Mega-Gengar + Life Orb Blaziken is a hyper offense core that I've been messing around with lately and have quite enjoyed it. The premise behind the core is that when these two are on the field together, absolutely nothing is taking a hit and I'm outspeeding everything. Often times this is used as a lead followed by a double protect on the first turn to get the speed boost for both mons. Then you proceed to get OHKO's with blaziken because of it's incredible coverage and disable anything else that is on the field. Naturally, just like all hyper offense cores, it has weaknesses, but this core is meant to just savage standard balance offense (kanga, lando-t, amoong, aegi etc).

These have been copied from the Tier 1 Pokemon in Stratos' Viability Rankings
Aegislash - Gets wrecked by this. Overheat from Blaziken kills aegi in shield form and shadow ball from gengar does like 75 percent.

Amoonguss - Gets wrecked by this. Overheat from Blaziken kills amoong and disable from gengar can help with spore shenanigans.
Mega Charizard Y - Fire types in general give this core a little bit of trouble, however, getting a disable on heat wave can be huge and you can always double target char and get a KO.
Cresselia - Often times cress can be too bulky for this tandem to take down but double targeting can get a KO. Usually I pair this core with things to help with speed control in general.
Mega Diancie - Mega Diancie does force a double target from gengar and blaziken to get rid of but to be honest I haven't had much trouble facing Mega Diancie and I've been seeing a lot less of it for some reason.
Mega Kangaskhan - Gets wrecked
Keldeo - Forces a double target which can be annoying but 9/10 times it will go for a hydro pump on blaziken and then you just disable hydro and get a free turn with blaziken.
Landorus-therian - Blaziken beats lando-t after a protect with HP ice which is kewl.
Rotom-Wash - Bulky waters are tough to face ngl. Rotom-wash does quite well against these two.
Shaymin-Sky - Both mons outspeed this guy after protects. Skymin still forces a double target to beat sash but whatevs.

In practice, the biggest threat to this core is opposing speed control. Whether it be tailwind, trick room, or yellow magic, this core is at a disadvantage when it's not going first. To combat this, I like to incorporate redirection on my team, hard trick room counters, and my own tailwind setter. The partner I've found most success with is Zapdos. This mon lets me set up my own tailwind to counteract opposing tailwinds, it acts as a switch in to yellow magic, and roar Zapdos is cute as fuck to get TR setters out.

EDIT: whoops forgot to include reasoning for EV spreads
Gengar's spread is the standard special attacker one. Timid is the nature to outspeed opposing skymin.
Blaziken's set is a bit more complicated. Max speed plus a naive nature allows me to outspeed scarf lando-t at plus one. The Special attack investment is based off of this calc:
176 SpA Life Orb Blaziken Overheat vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Aegislash-Shield: 328-385 (101.2 - 118.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO
The rest of the EV's were dumped into attack. Blaziken isn't living any attack anyways so there's no reason to invest in bulk.

Blastoise-Mega @ Blastoisinite
Ability: Mega Launcher
EVs: 192 HP / 180 SpA / 136 SpD
Modest Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Aura Sphere
- Dark Pulse
- Protect

Kyurem-Black @ Leftovers
Ability: Teravolt
EVs: 100 HP / 252 SpA / 156 Spe
Modest Nature
- Ice Beam
- Earth Power
- Substitute
- Protect

Amoonguss @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 172 Def / 84 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Spore
- Giga Drain
- Rage Powder
- Protect

Shell game got bigger.

Blastoise actually beats some fairly relevant threats, like diancie, lando t, bisharp, fire types, cress, and probably other stuff. Blastoise is weak to electric types, so amoonguss is p good for redirection. Grass types and stuff like thundurus which beat the two aforementioned mons get #rekt by kyurem. Amoonguss is pretty helpful for kyub cuz rage powder lets you set up subs and stuff. The blastoise set always lives a skymin seed flare and two hydreigon dark pulses. The spatk will always let you kill standard hydrei after life orb recoil. I think it does other stuff too, but it's been a while since i made the team with this core. If you wanna chip in here, Arcticblast, it'd be good. The other sets are kinda standard. This core is weak to gardevoir and ferro, so you might wanna add a heatran or moltres or whatever fire type you like onto this core.

edit: if you're lame and/or gay, you can use keldeo over blastoise and the core will work roughly the same
edit2: this core also loses to zard, so def run a fire. OR use dragon claw kyub.

Last edited:

ryo yamada2001

ryo yamada2001
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus

Sylveon @ Choice Specs
Ability: Pixilate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 Def
Modest Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Psyshock
- Shadow Ball
- Hidden Power [Ground]

Gengar @ Gengarite
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Will-O-Wisp
- Protect
- Sludge Bomb

Pros:
+ tons of special damage
+ sylveon is fairly bulky on the special side
+ sylveon doesn't become completely useless in trick room; it is pretty useful in tailwind too
+ m-gengar is incredibly fast, has insane spatk and with the shadow tag ability he can trap kangaskhan to eventually burn it with will-o-wisp

Cons:
- physically frail
- gengar dies really quickly
- gengar has some weaknesses that you'd rather not have

ryo yamada2001

ryo yamada2001
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus

shine bitch (Metagross) @ Metagrossite
Jolly Nature
- Iron Head
- Zen Headbutt
- Bullet Punch
- Protect

elesa (Sylveon) @ Choice Specs
Quiet Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Psyshock
- Shadow Ball
- Hidden Power [Ground]

king ray (Hydreigon) @ Life Orb
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Dark Pulse
- Earth Power
- Protect

pros:
- amazing type combinations
- combination of physical + special
- sylveon covers up weaknesses of mega-metagross, hydreigon covers up other weaknesses most notably ghost + gorund
- metagross has an amazing speed tier, whereas sylveon is not useless outside of trick room now, but not useless with tailwind either
- shine bitch is a great nickname for a metagross and elesa is a great name for a sylveon
- metagross is physically really bulky and sylveon is defensively really bulky, hydreigon has nice overall bulk
- bullet punch has priority so you dont get shut down by faster mons

cons:
- gets beaten by fire-types too, earth power on hydreigon covers that up in a way but there's still a significant weakness to mega-charizard-y and talonflame
- choice specs makes you lock in one move, even though that can be changed with using life orb sylveon
- metagross has insane 4mss

edit: s/o to spacebass for suggestion hydrei

other ways to use this core effectively
+

+

+

Last edited:

shine bitch (Metagross) @ Metagrossite
Jolly Nature
- Iron Head
- Zen Headbutt
- Bullet Punch
- Protect

elesa (Sylveon) @ Choice Specs
Quiet Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Psyshock
- Shadow Ball
- Hidden Power [Ground]

king ray (Hydreigon) @ Life Orb
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Dark Pulse
- Earth Power
- Protect

pros:
- amazing type combinations
- combination of physical + special
- sylveon covers up weaknesses of mega-metagross, hydreigon covers up other weaknesses most notably ghost + gorund
- metagross has an amazing speed tier, whereas sylveon is not useless outside of trick room now, but not useless with tailwind either
- shine bitch is a great nickname for a metagross and elesa is a great name for a sylveon
- metagross is physically really bulky and sylveon is defensively really bulky, hydreigon has nice overall bulk
- bullet punch has priority so you dont get shut down by faster mons

cons:
- gets beaten by fire-types too, earth power on hydreigon covers that up in a way but there's still a significant weakness to mega-charizard-y and talonflame
- choice specs makes you lock in one move, even though that can be changed with using life orb sylveon
- metagross has insane 4mss

edit: s/o to spacebass for suggestion hydrei
You could probably replace sylveon in this core for thundurus (which is a core from vgc). All sylveon really offers for hydrei and metagross specifically is a fighting resist, but thundurus does the same thing and beats charizard / talonflame which you mentioned as big threats.

Laga

Forever Grande
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
So since my CC alum by now only shows in my postbit and in various threads giving me credit for hosting previous versions, I thought I'd start posting in a few good threads again. This core thread is thoroughly underrated, because basing your team off of a core is almost always the best plan for teambuilding.

So with the rapid shift of the Doubles OU metagame; constantly becoming faster, more offensive, and more frail, a lot of players sort of figured out the potential of mega aero in sync about 2 weeks ago... I'm sure this core has been used by other people with a sense of metagame trends and offensive synergy, but it's nice to have it posted here, since Aero is so good atm

Aerodactyl @ Aerodactylite
Ability: Unnerve
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Rock Slide
- Aerial Ace / Sky Drop
- Aqua Tail
- Protect

Keldeo @ Life Orb
EVs: 24 HP / 232 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Secret Sword
- Scald / Hydro Pump
- Taunt / Quick Guard
- Protect

Basically, Aerodactyl completely owns the most bumped into core in the universe of modern-day doubles: Skymin / Keldeo. Other popular mons it owns include CharY, Talonburd, Diancie (unless boost or ur intimidated), and Landorus-T on the switch (yes it outspeeds). Keldeo helps out mostly with steel types, but also gives solid support in it's third move and breaks defensive cores better with it's much stronger attacks and potential burns. It can also one shot Lando (unnecessary if you catch it on the switch with aqua tail). I'd mostly recommend Taunt since aero gets intercoursed in the behind by Trick Room. Also build your team with at least another TR counter, and a few mons bulky enough to last the effective 4 turns of magic tricks.

Mega Aero is so good because it's pretty much impossible to switch into properly with a HO team, coincidentally the team form that's been gaining popularity exponentially the past month.

finally

how can you swallow so much sleep?
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus

Blastoise-Mega @ Blastoisinite
Ability: Mega Launcher
EVs: 192 HP / 180 SpA / 136 SpD
Modest Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Aura Sphere
- Dark Pulse
- Protect

Kyurem-Black @ Leftovers
Ability: Teravolt
EVs: 100 HP / 252 SpA / 156 Spe
Modest Nature
- Ice Beam
- Earth Power
- Substitute
- Protect

Amoonguss @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 172 Def / 84 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Spore
- Giga Drain
- Rage Powder
- Protect

Shell game got bigger.

Blastoise actually beats some fairly relevant threats, like diancie, lando t, bisharp, fire types, cress, and probably other stuff. Blastoise is weak to electric types, so amoonguss is p good for redirection. Grass types and stuff like thundurus which beat the two aforementioned mons get #rekt by kyurem. Amoonguss is pretty helpful for kyub cuz rage powder lets you set up subs and stuff. The blastoise set always lives a skymin seed flare and two hydreigon dark pulses. The spatk will always let you kill standard hydrei after life orb recoil. I think it does other stuff too, but it's been a while since i made the team with this core. If you wanna chip in here, Arcticblast, it'd be good. The other sets are kinda standard. This core is weak to gardevoir and ferro, so you might wanna add a heatran or moltres or whatever fire type you like onto this core.

edit: if you're lame and/or gay, you can use keldeo over blastoise and the core will work roughly the same
edit2: this core also loses to zard, so def run a fire. OR use dragon claw kyub.
Lmao shell game

Checkmater

It’s just us kittens left, and the rain is coming
is a Tiering Contributor
Alright boys let's bring in some good cores
Even though SpaceBass will never approve cuz he hates me

Gardevoir mega with Scrafty

Man in a Dress (Gardevoir) (M) @ Gardevoirite
Ability: Trace
Quiet Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Psychic
- Trick Room
- Protect

Scrafty (M) @ Assault Vest / Life Orb
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Brave Nature
- Drain Punch
- Knock Off
- Ice Punch / High Jump Kick / Protect / Stone Edge
- Fake Out

So Gardevoir hits like a truck and has spread.
But it gets walled by steels.
Hey look a Scraty, that can ohko all the steels.
Scrafty fake out helps setup trick room.
Intimidate is all "bye physical attackers"
Solid as fuck core.

After you setup trick room, scrafty move + gardevoir move is always a ko, and gardevoir is bulky as fuck specially so special attackers like keldeo and washtom, etc. just cry when they see it.

Also Gardevoir shits on all the taunt users, ie keldeo/thundurus/other ones I can't remember right now.
Bring mental herb amoonguss cuz the other amoonguss sets are bad.
Been using variations on this a lot on ladder, it's been working really well.

If too much innovation for this thread plz tell me

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)