Colossoil

said:
<Plus-> colossoil gets da rebound
<Plus-> the best basketball player
<Plus-> ever
<Plus-> he's over 8 fucking feet
<Fuzznip> and he's dark
[OVERVIEW]

Out of the many additional Pokemon that roam free in CAP, it's no stretch to say that Colossoil is a creation that has had one of the most significant impacts on the metagame as a whole. For starters, Colossoil's capabilities as a spinner are nearly unmatched; it's one of only two Dark-type users of Rapid Spin (the other being Malaconda) and has a powerful STAB Knock Off coming off of an impressive base 122 Attack, which is enough to heavily deter nearly any Ghost-type from trying to spinblock it. Colossoil is notable for much more than just Rapid Spin, though; it has several other powerful STAB options such as Earthquake, Sucker Punch, and Pursuit, broadening its capabilities as an offensive Pokemon. Having access to U-turn is also incredibly helpful for more offensively oriented teams, as it allows Colossoil to act as a much more effective pivot and preserve momentum for its team. Colossoil also has access to two useful abilities, including its signature ability, Rebound, which can bounce back status moves, entry hazards, and basketballs on the turn it switches in, and Guts, which makes it a threatening status absorber. Finally, Colossoil's unique stat spread makes running either defensive spreads or offensive spreads both feasible and viable. All of these defining traits make it a versatile and useful addition to numerous team archetypes.

As influential and threatening as Colossoil is, it still has some fairly notable flaws that can be exploited. For instance, although Colossoil's Dark / Ground typing gives it four resistances and two immunities, it's also plagued with six weaknesses, many of which are prevalent attacking types in the metagame. Having weaknesses to the common Fairy-, Water-, and Fighting-type attacks is never a great attribute to have, hampering Colossoil's ability to pivot and support the team. Offensively, Colossoil's typing can leave it struggling to do much of anything against some prominent physical walls, the most notable of which is Tomohawk, which hard walls Colossoil with ease thanks to its typing and access to Prankster Roost. Furthermore, Colossoil's STAB combination often isn't enough to prevent opposing setup sweepers such as Mega Altaria and Mega Scizor from using it as easy setup fodder, which can prove detrimental to Colossoil and its teammates. In spite of Colossoil's shortcomings, its numerous strengths and versatility have secured its niche as one of the best spinners CAP has to offer, a potent offensive pivot, and a surprisingly talented basketball player.

[SET]
name: Point Guard (Assault Vest)
move 1: Earthquake
move 2: Knock Off
move 3: Rapid Spin / U-turn / Pursuit
move 4: Sucker Punch / U-turn / Pursuit
item: Assault Vest
ability: Guts / Rebound
nature: Adamant
evs: 252 Atk / 36 Def / 220 SpD

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

The first two moveslots are just about mandatory for any of Colossoil's sets to ensure that it can fully take advantage of its high Attack and potent STAB combination. Earthquake is Colossoil's strongest and most reliable STAB move, hitting any foe that isn't resistant or immune to the move for solid damage. Knock Off is also quite strong with the STAB boost, hitting Ghost- and Psychic-types for high damage, and it is also useful for its ability to remove the foe's item.

There's more room for variety in Colossoil's third and fourth moveslots, however, as the choice of moves highly depends on which type of role Colossoil is required to play on its team. Rapid Spin allows Colossoil to clear entry hazards, and it's an excellent user of the move thanks to its Dark-type STAB moves deterring Ghost-types from attempting to spinblock it. Sucker Punch gives Colossoil strong priority and a method of checking faster threats. U-turn allows Colossoil to pivot out of its checks and counters as they switch into it, allowing one of Colossoil's teammates to switch in safely. Pursuit is used to trap and KO Psychic- and Ghost-types, such as Latios, Latias, Gengar, and Kitsunoh, that could otherwise escape from Colossoil by switching out.

Set Details
========

Maximum Attack investment and an Adamant nature are used to let Colossoil hit hard with its STAB moves. Most of the remaining EV investment goes towards bolstering Colossoil's special bulk, which, when combined with Assault Vest, allows it to easily sponge special hits and support its team. The 36 EVs in Defense are used to avoid the OHKO from Life Orb Syclant's Superpower after Stealth Rock damage. At the cost of some bulk, Colossoil can opt to invest 236 EVs in Speed to outpace Hasty Hoopa-U and hit it hard with Earthquake or U-turn before it can strike back.

The ability choice is largely dependent on the team Colossoil is on. Guts provides Colossoil with a hefty boost to its Attack if it is crippled with status, allowing it to act as a potent status absorber for its team, and is often the superior choice for more balanced or bulky offensive teams. Rebound, however, can be used to bounce back status moves and entry hazards on the turn Colossoil switches in, which is often more useful for faster-paced teams that appreciate the ability to more aggressively pressure opposing status inducers and entry hazard setters. Rebound is also a good option if Colossoil isn't running Rapid Spin, as it retains some of its potential for controlling entry hazards with this ability.

Usage Tips
========

Colossoil should come in on Pokemon it forces out, such as Cyclohm and Mega Manectric, so that it can easily pressure the foe and perform its duties for the team, be it through Knock Off, Rapid Spin, or simply grabbing momentum with U-turn. If using Guts, switching in on a potential status user allows Colossoil to gain an Attack boost from the move, putting even more power behind its attacks. If using Rebound, switch in on potential entry hazard setters and status users, as this turns the foe's moves against them. Don't switch in on Leech Seed users, however, as the Grass-type users of the move are immune to it themselves and threaten Colossoil with their Grass-type STAB attacks. Rebound can also be used to bounce back Roar and Whirlwind, which can potentially bring in a Pokemon that Colossoil has a favorable matchup against, such as a Ghost- or Psychic-type, which Colossoil can then remove from the game with Pursuit. Use Sucker Punch to revenge kill weakened faster threats. Beware of faster priority users such as Syclant, Talonflame, and Cawmodore, however, as well as potential Substitute users. Also, be cautious around Pokemon such as Necturna and Aurumoth, as they occasionally run Colbur Berry to weaken Colossoil's Dark-type STAB moves and can hit Colossoil hard with their own STAB attacks.

Team Options
========

Flying-types such as Talonflame, Cawmodore, and Tomohawk pair well with Colossoil, as they love the Rapid Spin support that it provides, and in return, they can easily dispatch of the Grass- and Fighting-types that threaten Colossoil. Fairy-types such as Mega Altaria, Mega Gardevoir, and Sylveon can easily handle Fighting-types, namely Tomohawk, for it, while Colossoil can beat Fire-, Poison-, and Steel-types for them in return. Steel-types such as Mega Scizor, Skarmory, and Heatran can handle opposing Fairy-types for Colossoil. Wish support from the likes of Chansey, Clefable, and Sylveon is useful to keep Colossoil healthy, as it has no reliable recovery and could otherwise be easily worn down over time.

[SET]
name: Power Forward (Offensive)
move 3: U-turn
move 4: Sucker Punch / Pursuit
item: Life Orb / Black Glasses
nature: Jolly / Adamant
evs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Earthquake is a powerful STAB move and hits impressively hard thanks to the boosts from STAB and Life Orb, allowing it to heavily dent any foe that isn't resistant or immune to the move. Knock Off gives Colossoil a powerful method of dealing with opposing Ghost- and Psychic-types, removes the foe's item, and can benefit from either Life Orb or Black Glasses. U-turn is necessary to allow Colossoil to pivot out of foes it can't heavily damage, such as Tomohawk and Mega Altaria, allowing a teammate better equipped to handle the situation to switch in. Sucker Punch provides Colossoil with priority, allowing it to act as a revenge killer for faster Pokemon. Pursuit hits Psychic- and Ghost-types hard if they try to switch out of Colossoil, such as Latios, Latias, Gengar, and Kitsunoh.

Set Details
========

252 EVs in Attack and Speed are used to maximize Colossoil's offensive potential. A Jolly nature lets Colossoil make the best use of its base 95 Speed, ensuring that it outspeeds all non-Choice Scarf variants of Aurumoth. An Adamant nature can be used to let Colossoil hit even harder and still have enough Speed to outpace Jolly Necturna. Life Orb gives Colossoil a significant increase to its damage output but can leave it prone to being worn down rather quickly; Black Glasses can be used instead if Colossoil's longevity is of high importance, as it still provides a decent boost to Knock Off as well as its other Dark-type attacks. Guts allows Colossoil to function as a status absorber, providing it with an Attack boost should it become inflicted with a status ailment. Rebound, on the other hand, can be used to completely deflect status moves as well as entry hazards, but it only works on the turn Colossoil switches in.

Usage Tips
========

Colossoil can be utilized as an all-out attacker with its powerful STAB moves, provide Knock Off support for the team, or simply act as a pivot with U-turn. If using Guts, try to switch in on potential Will-O-Wisp or Toxic users to give Colossoil a large boost to its Attack. If using Rebound, Colossoil can freely switch in on many status, Stealth Rock, and Spikes users and bounce the moves back at the foe. Sucker Punch should be used to revenge kill faster Pokemon; just beware of faster priority users such as Syclant, Talonflame, and Cawmodore. Be cautious around potential Colbur Berry users as well, notably Necturna and Aurumoth, as they can easily survive a hit from Colossoil and retaliate with their STAB moves.

Team Options
========

Flying-types such as Talonflame, Cawmodore, and Tomohawk can easily deal with Grass- and Fighting-types for Colossoil. Offensive Fairy-types such as Mega Altaria, Mega Gardevoir, and Sylveon can easily handle Fighting-types for it, while Colossoil can take care of Fire-, Poison-, and Steel-types in return. Steel-types such as Mega Metagross, Heatran, Kitsunoh, Mega Scizor, and Skarmory can all take on opposing Fairy-types for Colossoil. Wish support from Pokemon like Chansey, Sylveon, and Clefable is incredibly helpful to keep Colossoil healthy, as it otherwise will be worn down rather quickly from entry hazard damage, potential status damage, and potential Life Orb recoil.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Choice Scarf allows Colossoil to act as a revenge killer and potentially a late-game wincon if its checks and counters are removed. Stone Edge provides strong coverage against Flying-types and certain Fire-types such as Pyroak and Talonflame, but Colossoil generally doesn't have room for the move, and it doesn't help with its issue with Tomohawk at all. Fire Fang does a hefty chunk of damage to Mega Scizor and Ferrothorn, but Colossoil struggles finding a moveslot for it and is usually better off using U-turn to switch to a partner in these cases. Iron Tail allows Colossoil to 2HKO Fairy-types it lures in such as Mega Altaria, Sylveon, and Clefable, but its shaky 75% accuracy makes this a subpar option. Toxic can be used to put opposing Tomohawk on a timer. Finally, a set with Flame Orb and moves like Fake Out and Facade utilizes Guts to its fullest potential, but it is generally worn down too quickly to be truly effective.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Tomohawk**: Tomohawk can switch into any of Colossoil's moves and heal off any damage done with Roost. From there, Tomohawk can wear it down with Air Slash or Aura Sphere, set up entry hazards, set up Substitute, or use a boosting move.

**Skarmory**: Skarmory walls all of Colossoil's common moves thanks to its typing and can heal off any damage taken with Roost.

**Mega Scizor**: Mega Scizor's typing allows it to switch into Colossoil's common moves and heal off damage taken with Roost. It works well as a Knock Off absorber, as its Mega Stone can't be removed. Bulky Swords Dance variants of Mega Scizor can easily set up on Colossoil as well.

**Grass-types**: Grass-types such as Ferrothorn, Breloom, and Mega Venusaur heavily threaten Colossoil with their STAB moves, while Colossoil can't do too much in return besides U-turn out.

**Fairy-types**: Fairy-types, especially physically oriented ones such as Mega Altaria and Azumarill, easily force Colossoil out with their STAB moves and can use the opportunity to set up.

**Fighting-types**: Many Fighting-types, most notably Mega Heracross, can easily switch into Colossoil or simply revenge kill it, as they resist Knock Off and aren't threatened by Sucker Punch or Pursuit.

**Water-types**: Water-types such as Arghonaut, Gyarados, and Keldeo can stomach an attack from Colossoil and threaten it back with their STAB moves. Gyarados in particular can weaken Colossoil's Attack with Intimidate, is immune to Earthquake, and resists U-turn before it Mega Evolves, allowing it to check Colossoil quite easily throughout the match and Mega Evolve once Colossoil is defeated.

Last edited:
Alright, so in the previous thread, I recommended an EV spread of 172 HP / 252 Atk / 84 SpD for AV Colo, giving Colossoil max attack, the ability to avoid the KO from Lando-I's Superpower after rocks, and the rest put into SpD to increase its special bulk and Assault Vest's bonus. I've done a little tinkering with the spread since then, and switched it to a new spread of 252 Atk / 80 Def / 176 SpD, which all in all is more efficient since it avoids the same KO, but with less EVs required, meaning its special bulk can be improved slightly

old spread
4 Atk Life Orb Landorus Superpower vs. 172 HP / 0 Def Krokorok: 356-421 (79.1 - 93.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252 SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Landorus Earth Power vs. 172 HP / 84 SpD Assault Vest Krokorok: 179-212 (39.7 - 47.1%) -- 0.4% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock

new spread
4 Atk Life Orb Landorus Superpower vs. 0 HP / 80 Def Krokorok: 322-380 (79.1 - 93.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252 SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Landorus Earth Power vs. 0 HP / 176 SpD Assault Vest Krokorok: 161-191 (39.5 - 46.9%) -- 0.4% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock

The new spread is more efficient, since it doesn't invest in Colo's already large HP stat, and still manages to be bulkier on both sides of the spectrum, even if by only a small amount. Lower HP also means Wish support from its teammate's is more efficient, as a larger percentage of its HP is restored, increasing its longevity.

tl;dr new spread has better bulk with zero drawbacks :]

HeaLnDeaL

Let's Keep Fighting
is an Artistis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
So, even assault vest Colo have started running U-turn. Personally I run it over Sucker Punch, but we could briefly discuss if it's even worthy of being mentioned on the set.

Yeah-- U-turn is definitely of more importance in the current meta as opposed to XY, as there are many more unfavorable matchups that Colossoil has been forced to deal with in ORAS. I've been running EQ / Knock Off / Pursuit / U-turn as of late. Since Colossoil is still quite an influential mon, I'd definitely agree with some discussion as to what the optimal sets/slashes are, so that its most effective sets may be reflected here.

Personally, I feel that U-turn is borderline mandatory for Colo these days. It lets it act as a bulky pivot with AV, while giving it the ability to not get utterly walled by common counters like Tomohawk and Cawmodore. As to where it could be slashed, I think this might work:

Move 3: Rapid Spin / U-turn
Move 4: Sucker Punch / U-turn / Pursuit

cbrevan

spin, spin, spin
is a CAP Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Pursuit should be third slash with Rapid Spin / U-Turn, its about as useful as U-Turn, and has amazing synergy with Sucker Punch. Most people will see either Sucker Punch or Pursuit and immediately assume its lacking the other, which gives you the chance to do some major damage with the other.

I personally prefer Pursuit over U-Turn on every Colossoil I run just because it lets me guarantee the hit or kill on mons Colossoil threatens out, like Mollux, Plasmanta, Heatran, Cyclohm, basically any ghost, basically any psychic, etc. This is especially useful with Sucker Punch as once you reveal it, Colossoil will force switches, and you can start the mindgames from there. Its also ridiculously easy to see the Tomohawk switch in so you don't need massive prediction skills to use it.

In Checks and Counters, Skarmory and Mega Scizor are reliable Colossoil checks by virtue of there high defenses, neutrality or immunity to ground, and ability to recover hp. There should also be a Fighting type section as they can easily revenge Colossoil, and some of them can take a hit on the switch and beat Colossoil, most notably Mega Heracross.

This looks great by the way.

Tadasuke

Tuh-dah-skay
is a Community Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Your EV set on AV Soil is wrong. Please fix it to 72 HP / 252+ ATK / 184 SDef before I give you an unofficial QC.

I've already gone over why HP investment is generally inefficient on Colossoil; it has to do with its titanic HP stat compared to its much lower defensive stats, meaning that a investing a certain amount of EVs in a defense stat has a much greater impact on Colossoil's bulk than investing the same amount into HP (run calcs to see the difference)

We need a new spread for AV Colo since Landorus is banned, and I don't think that 80 def has anything relevant anymore. I myself run 252 Atk / 36 Def / 220 SpD to survive a Superpower from LO Syclant after rocks but there might be a better EV spread that I haven't discovered.

This seems somewhat pointless, but you may want to specify which Sylveon you are talking about in the team support in offensive Fairy-types for AV Colo - Is just having Pixilate Hyper Voice enough and running the Wish set, or does Specs Sylvie only fall into this particular category?

We need a new spread for AV Colo since Landorus is banned, and I don't think that 80 def has anything relevant anymore. I myself run 252 Atk / 36 Def / 220 SpD to survive a Superpower from LO Syclant after rocks but there might be a better EV spread that I haven't discovered.
We should probably get working on this. Generally, this analysis doesn't seem to be making much progress, and somewhat understandably so, but it really seems a shame to have one of the most pivotal mons in CAP with an unfinished analysis for such a long time. Having said that, we don't want to rush this, so it is really important to get the set for this right. For now, LO Superpower from Clant after rocks seems like a good benchmark.

Gonna bump for QC input. The current AV spread is the one mentioned above with the LO Clant benchmark; I'd like the next QCer to comment on it.

In terms of what people tend to have gone to:

I have seen many Colo with 252 SpD, as well as an anti-Hoopa set with 252+ Atk / 20 SpD / 236 Spe that Ex made (I think). I recall a somewhat unusual set from someone, possibly viper, which split it between Colo's two defences, but I can't remember what EVs it had.

Added a mention of 236 Spe EVs hitting an important benchmark in AV's set details. I'll talk with other QC about what the main spread should be, since I don't think there's been a solid consensus there yet.

I think Choice Scarf needs to be moved to the top of the OO list because it's the most useful OO set, definitely more so than Flame Orb.

Empress

We invited the strippers, JFK and Stalin.
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Add Remove Comment
[OVERVIEW]

Out of the many additional Pokemon that roam free in CAP, it's no stretch to say that Colossoil is a creation that has had one of the most significant impacts on the metagame as a whole. For starters, Colossoil's capabilities as a spinner are nearly unmatched; it's one of only two Dark-type users of Rapid Spin (the other being Malaconda) and has a powerful STAB Knock Off coming off of an impressive base 122 Attack stat, which is enough to heavily deter nearly any Ghost-type from trying to spinblock against it. Colossoil is notable for much more than just Rapid Spin, though; it has several other powerful STAB options such as Earthquake, Sucker Punch, and Pursuit, broadening its capabilities as an offensive Pokemon. Having access to U-turn is also incredibly helpful for more offensively oriented teams, as it allows Colossoil to act as a much more effective pivot and preserve momentum for its team. Colossoil also has access to two useful abilities, including its signature ability, Rebound, which can bounce back status moves, entry hazards, and basketballs on the turn it switches in, and Guts, which makes it a threatening status absorber. These defining traits combined with Finally, Colossoil's unique stat spread, which makes running either defensive spreads or offensive spreads both feasible and viable. All of these defining traits, (RC) make it a versatile and useful addition to numerous team archetypes.

As influential and threatening as Colossoil is, it still has some fairly notable flaws that can be exploited. For instance, although Colossoil's Dark / Ground typing does gives it four resistances and two immunities, it's also plagued with six weaknesses, many of which are prevalent attacking types in the metagame. Having weaknesses to the common Fairy-, Water-, and Fighting-type attacks is never a great attribute to have, and hampers hampering Colossoil's ability to pivot and support the team. Offensively, Colossoil's typing can leave it struggling to do much of anything against some prominent physical walls, the most notable of which is Tomohawk, which hard walls Colossoil with ease thanks to its typing and access to Prankster Roost. Furthermore, Colossoil's STAB combination often isn't enough to prevent opposing setup sweepers such as Mega Altaria and Mega Scizor from using it as easy setup fodder, which can prove detrimental to Colossoil and its teammates. In spite of Colossoil's shortcomings, its numerous strengths and versatility has have secured its niche as one of the best spinners CAP has to offer, a potent offensive pivot, and a surprisingly talented basketball player.

[SET]
name: Assault Vest
Move move 3: Rapid Spin / U-turn / Pursuit
Move move 4: Sucker Punch / U-turn / Pursuit
item: Assault Vest
nature: Adamant
evs: 252 Atk / 36 Def / 220 SpD

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

The first two moveslots are just about mandatory for any of Colossoil's sets to ensure that it can fully take advantage of its high Attack and potent STAB combination. Earthquake is Colossoil's strongest and most reliable STAB move, hitting any foe that isn't resistant or immune to the move for solid damage. Knock Off is also quite strong with the STAB boost, hitting Ghost- and Psychic-types for high damage, and it is also useful for it's great utility of removing its ability to remove the foe's item.

There's more room for variety in Colossoil's third and fourth moveslots, however, as the choice of moves highly depends on which type of role Colossoil is required to play on its team. Rapid Spin allows Colossoil to clear entry hazards, and it's an excellent user of the move thanks to its Dark-type STAB moves deterring Ghost-types from attempting to spinblock it. Sucker Punch gives Colossoil strong priority and a method of checking faster threats. U-turn allows Colossoil to pivot on out of its checks and counters as they switch into it, allowing one of Colossoil's teammates to switch in safely. Pursuit is used to trap and KO Psychic- and Ghost-types, such as Latios, Latias, Gengar, and Kitsunoh, that could otherwise escape from Colossoil by switching out.

Set Details
========

Maximum Attack investment and an Adamant nature are used to let Colossoil hit hard with its STAB moves. Most of the remaining EV investment goes towards bolstering Colossoil's special bulk, which, (AC) when combined with Assault Vest, allows it to easily sponge special hits and support its team. The 36 EVs in Defense are used to avoid the OHKO from Life Orb Syclant's Superpower after Stealth Rock damage. At the cost of some bulk, Colossoil can opt to invest 236 EVs in Speed to outpace Hasty Hoopa-U and hit it hard with Earthquake or U-turn before it can strike back.

The ability choice is largely dependent on the team Colossoil is on. Guts provides Colossoil with a hefty boost to its Attack if it is crippled with statused, allowing it to act as a potent status absorber for its team, and is often the superior choice for more balanced or bulky offensive (It pains me to do this, but I have to...) teams. Rebound, however can be used to bounce back status moves and entry hazards on the turn Colossoil switches in, which is often more useful for faster-paced teams that appreciate the ability to more aggressively pressure opposing status inducers and entry hazard setters. Rebound is also a good option if Colossoil isn't running Rapid Spin, as it retains some of its potential for controlling entry hazards with this ability.

Usage Tips
========

Colossoil should come in on Pokemon it forces out, such as Cyclohm and Mega Manectric, so that it may can easily pressure the foe and perform its duties for the team, be it through Knock Off, Rapid Spin, or simply grabbing momentum with U-turn. If using Guts, switching in on a potential status user allows Colossoil to gain an attack Attack boost from the move, putting even more power behind its attacks. If using Rebound, switch in on potential entry hazard setters and status users, as this turns the foe's moves against them. Don't switch in on Leech Seed users, however, as the Grass-type users of the move are immune to it themselves, (RC) and threaten Colossoil with their Grass-type STAB attacks. Rebound can also be used to bounce back Roar and Whirlwind, which can potentially bring in a Pokemon that Colossoil has a favorable matchup against, such as a Ghost- or a Psychic-type, which Colossoil can then remove from the game with Pursuit. Use Sucker Punch to revenge kill weakened faster threats. Beware of faster priority users such as Syclant, Talonflame, and Cawmodore, however, as well as potential Substitute users.

Team Options
========

Flying-types such as Talonflame, Cawmodore, and Tomohawk pair well with Colossoil, as they love the Rapid Spin support that it provides, and in return, (AC) they can easily dispatch of the Grass- and Fighting-types that threaten Colossoil. Fairy-types such as Mega Altaria, Mega Gardevoir, and Sylveon pair well with Colossoil as they can easily handle Fighting-types, namely Tomohawk, for it, while Colossoil in turn can beat easily dispatch of (repetition) Fire-, Poison, and Steel-types for them in return. Steel-types such as (Mega?) Scizor, Skarmory, and Heatran can handle opposing Fairy-types for Colossoil. Wish support from the likes of Chansey, Clefable, and Sylveon is useful to keep Colossoil healthy, as it has no reliable recovery and could otherwise be easily worn down over time.

[SET]
name: Offensive
move 3: U-turn
move 4: Sucker Punch / Pursuit
item: Life Orb / Black Glasses
nature: Jolly / Adamant
evs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========
Earthquake is a powerful STAB move and hits impressively hard thanks to the boosts from STAB and Life Orb, allowing it to heavily dent any foe that isn't resistant or immune to the move. Knock Off gives Colossoil a powerful method of dealing with opposing Ghost- and Psychic-types, removes the foe's item, and can benefit from either Life Orb or Black Glasses. U-turn is necessary to allow Colossoil to pivot out of foes it can't heavily damage, such as Tomohawk and Mega Altaria, allowing a teammate better equipped to handle the situation to switch in. Sucker Punch provides Colossoil with priority, allowing it to act as a revenge killer for faster Pokemon. Pursuit hits Psychic- and Ghost-types hard if they try to switch out of Colossoil, such as Latios, Latias, Gengar, and Kitsunoh.
(line break)
Set Details
========

252 EVs in Attack and Speed are used to maximize Colossoil's offensive potential. A Jolly nature lets Colossoil make the best use of its base 95 Speed, ensuring that it outspeeds all non-Choice Scarf variants of Aurumoth. An Adamant nature can be used to let Colossoil hit even harder and still has have enough Speed to outpace Jolly Necturna. Life Orb gives Colossoil a significant increase to its damage output, (RC) but can leave it prone to being worn down rather quickly; Black Glasses can be used instead if Colossoil's longevity is of high importance, as it still provides a decent boost to Knock Off as well as its other Dark-type attacks. Guts allows Colossoil to function as a status absorber, providing it with an Attack boost should it become inflicted with a status ailment. Rebound, on the other hand, can be use to completely deflect status moves as well as entry hazards completely, but it only works on the turn Colossoil switches in.

Usage Tips
========

Colossoil can be utilized as an all-out attacker with its powerful STAB moves, provide Knock Off support for the team, or simply act as a pivot with U-turn. If using Guts, try and to switch in on potential Will-O-Wisp or Toxic users to give Colossoil a large boost to its Attack. If using Rebound, Colossoil can freely switch in on many status, Stealth Rock, and Spikes users and bounce the moves back at the foe. Sucker Punch should be used to revenge kill faster Pokemon; just beware of faster priority users such as Syclant, Talonflame, and Cawmodore.

Team Options
========

Flying-types such as Talonflame, Cawmodore, and Tomohawk make for excellent teammates, as they can easily deal with Grass- and Fighting-types for Colossoil. Offensive Fairy-types such as Mega Altaria, Mega Gardevoir, and Sylveon pair well with Colossoil as they can easily handle Fighting-types for it, while Colossoil in turn can take care of Fire-, Poison, and Steel-types in return. Steel-types such as Mega Metagross, Heatran, Kitsunoh, (Mega?) Scizor, and Skarmory can all take on opposing Fairy-types for Colossoil. Wish support from Pokemon such as like Chansey, Sylveon, and Clefable is incredibly helpful to keep Colossoil healthy, as it otherwise will be worn down rather quickly from entry hazard damage, potential status damage, and potential Life Orb recoil.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

A Choice Scarf set allows Colossoil to act as a revenge killer, (RC) and potentially a late-game wincon condition if its checks and counters are removed. Stone Edge provides strong coverage against Flying-types and certain Fire-types such as Pyroak and Talonflame, but it Colossoil generally doesn't have room for the move, and it doesn't help with Colossoil's its issue with Tomohawk, anyway at all. Fire Fang does a hefty chunk of damage to (Mega?) Scizor and Ferrothorn, but Colossoil struggles finding a moveslot for it, (RC) and is usually better off using U-turning out to switch to a partner in these cases. Iron Tail allows Colossoil to lure and 2HKO Fairy-types it lures in such as Mega Altaria, Sylveon, and Clefable, but its shaky 75% accuracy makes this a shaky, subpar option. Toxic can be used to put opposing Tomohawk on a timer. Finally, a set with Flame Orb and moves such as like Fake Out and Facade utilizes Guts to its fullest potential, but it is generally worn down too quickly to be truly effective.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Tomohawk**: Tomohawk can switch into any of Colossoil's moves, (RC) and heal off any damage done with Roost. From there, Tomohawk can wear it down with Air Slash or Aura Sphere, set up entry hazards, set up a Substitute, or use a boosting move.

**Skarmory**: Skarmory walls all of Colossoil's common moves thanks to its typing, (RC) and can heal off any damage taken with Roost.

**Mega Scizor**: Mega Scizor's typing allows it switch into Colossoil's common moves and heal off damage taken with Roost. It works well as a Knock Off absorber, as its mega stone Mega Stone can't be removed. Bulky Swords Dance variants of Mega Scizor can easily set up on Colossoil as well.

**Grass-types**: Grass-types such as Ferrothorn, Breloom, and Mega Venusaur heavily threaten Colossoil with their STAB moves, while Colossoil can't do too much in return besides U-turn out.

**Fairy-types**: Fairy-types, especially physically oriented ones such as Mega Altaria and Azumarill, easily force Colossoil out with their STAB moves and can use the opportunity to set up.

**Fighting-types**: Many Fighting-types, most notably Mega Heracross, can easily switch into Colossoil or simply revenge kill it, as they resist Knock Off and aren't threatened by Sucker Punch or Pursuit, most notably Mega Heracross.

**Water-types**: Water-types such as Arghonaut, Gyarados, and Keldeo can stomach an attack from Colossoil and threaten it back with their STAB moves. Gyarados in particular can weaken Colossoil's Attack stat with Intimidate, is immune to Earthquake, and resists U-turn before it mega evolves Mega Evolves, allowing it to check Colossoil quite easily throughout the match, (RC) and mega evolve Mega Evolve once Colossoil is defeated.
GP 1/2

Last edited:

HeaLnDeaL

Let's Keep Fighting
is an Artistis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Sorry for being dead. I think somewhere in usage tips, there should be a note added on how Colo should be wary of Necturna due to the potential for Colbur berry.

Implemented the GP check and added a note about Colbur Berry users in the Usage Tips for both sets. Thanks guys, ready for a second check.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)