ORAS OU Mega Lopunny Balance (need help)

First things first, hi! I'm new around here, even though I have been reading the forums for about two years now. I never had much luck with competitive play, but lately I've felt like it and have been harvesting some good results.

Lopunny-Mega @ Lopunnite
Ability: Scrappy
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- High Jump Kick
- Return
- Fake Out
- Ice Punch

I like fast mega evolutions that OHKO unaware opponents, so the first spot on my team was decided between Mega Lopunny and Mega Beedrill. I went for Lopunny since she can hit most opponents harder than Mega Bee, plus she is able to sweep without setting up and doesn't lose a turn with protect to go mega, doing cheap damage with Fake Out (and revenge killing), Ice Punch to deal with Dragonites that want to set up and weakened Land-T. Obvious STABs, hitting ice, rock, dark, metal and normal very hard, normally OHKOing it with Fake Out plus Return, using this she can kill Gengar, some Charizards and most offensive pokémon. The fact that she has little trouble killing enemies that lost health to Spikes and SR plus her amazing 400+ speed is my main win condition.

Scolipede @ Focus Sash
Ability: Speed Boost
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Megahorn
- Toxic Spikes
- Spikes
- Endeavor

Scolipede is one of the leads I often use against more agressive teams and teams without magic bouce. I start with T. Spikes, if the opponent attacks me hard enough, I use Endeavor and take him with me, trading a lead for another and leaving the fied with a hazard. On some lucky cases I get to use spikes while the opponents set up with a non priority user, get to 1 HP, Endeavor and kill with either Lopunny or Bisharp. Megahorn is also a good emergency measure to deal with Psychic types and ocasional Dark types. I analyse how many steel types, flying/levitate mons and defog/spinners and grounded poison types that can remove my hazard before I open with him. Most times his damage helps Lopunny to sweep.

Bisharp @ Life Orb
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Iron Head
- Knock Off
- Swords Dance
- Sucker Punch

Bisharp is the only poké I have to make an opponent think twice before using defog. All in all he is very solid and can deal with fairys and psychic, great on setting up through mind games and sweeping late game. Since his main role is to get rid of Lati@s, maybe I could fit pursuit here somewhere, but I wonder what to remove, since Knock Off cripples a lot of things on the switch and I need Iron Head coverage.

Garchomp @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 252 HP / 156 Def / 100 Spe
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Dragon Tail
- Fire Blast
- Stealth Rock

Tankchomp is by far one of my favorites, walling most physical attackers completly, punishing scouters, putting up hazard and phazing whoever thinks to set up on him. I find myself using him a lot to counter Talonflame and Scizor. Also, Fire Blast gets rid of Ferrothorn, but I'm not very attached to this move whatsoever and would like to know a good replacement to it.

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 172 Def / 84 SpD
Calm Nature
- Calm Mind
- Moonblast
- Soft-Boiled
- Flamethrower

A bulky fairy type to deal with most dragons and special attackers that don't hit that hard. One STAB and Flamethrower, because my team lacks fire moves. Calm Mind and Soft-Boiled to set up and remains healthy through the match. This spread helps me survive one bullet punch from Scizor and kill him back in a pinch.

Keldeo @ Choice Specs
Ability: Justified
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Secret Sword
- Hydro Pump
- Icy Wind

Keldeo is my main special sweeper for late game, Icy Wind in case I lose Lopunny early I can still deal with dragons, his set it pretty standart and so is his spreand. He is here specially because I need someone to deal with physical walls. I find it hard to use him sometimes, specially because he lacks defensive abilities (as great part of my team)

Mostly I lack a mon immune to ground type, and a some kind of way to remove hazards. Probably there are many other flaws, but these are the ones I have been strugling the most against. Any kind of feedback is welcome. I just don't feel like giving up on Lopunny, Scolipede and Garchomp, but with good reasoning wouldn't feel bad on doing so. Anyway, thanks in advance for reading up so far, it's been around two years since I last wrote this much in english, so sorry for the very probable grammar errors.

Last edited:
Thanks a lot for the reply! I have actually tested a few other water types to switch Keldeo, but nothing worked so well. I was kind of indifferent about Fire Blast beucase I almost always ended up having to kill Scizor and Ferrothorn with Clefable, since I could predict the switch and OHKO, but TW seems like a much safer option. (plus the Fire Blast's 85% accuracy fails more often than I'd like)

TBH the full Def Chomp seems great, specially because most of the time I use him as a phazer after stealth rock or saving him to tank stuff like Talonflame, as you said.

Anyhow, thanks again, I'm going to test the team with such changes, and will bring feedback.

Perennial

amol selseila
cool team. there are a few weaknesses I notice and I will try to help with them. they include Talonflame, DD mega Altaria and Charizard-X. for Talonflame, you only have Garchomp as a deterrent, but she suffers from a potential WoW and is very prone to being worn down in normal battle conditions. the others, mega Altaria and Charizard-X, threaten to sweep a good portion of your team after +1. they both have several opportunities to DD on your team and once they do, you will struggle to stop them. additionally, the lack of an immunity to ground is worrisome, as this allows things like Landorus-T to freely launch powerful EQs and nail everything on your team for a good chunk of damage.

the weaknesses I mentioned above aren't easy to fix but we can try tackling the issues by introducing a Thundurus-I over your Clefable. don't get me wrong, Clefable is an amazing pokémon. however, your team is very offensive in nature and in my opinion, its tempo and pace is slowed down by her presence. she is the main pokémon offering dangerous threats like Talonflame to come in freely, boost up and then threaten you significantly. offensive teams need to apply as much pressure as possible to minimize set up opportunities and Clefable interferes with this here. by using Thundurus-I in her place, you gain a useful ground immunity, emergency check to the threats I mentioned because of Prankster Thunder Wave while greatly minimizing the chances threatening boosters have to set up on your team.
Thundurus @ Life Orb / Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power Ice / Grass Knot
- Focus Blast

Leftovers is an option over Life Orb if you prefer the added longevity it provides. Grass Knot can be considered over HP Ice here to lure Hippowdon and pave the way for your Lopunny and Bisharp.
this is related to the mega Altaria issue mentioned above, but a problem this team has is a general vulnerability to fairies since you lack a good switch in to them. while this makes things like mega Gardevoir threatening, it also means pokémon like Clefable are also very bothersome. your only real way to force Clefable out is with Bisharp, and when you consider how poorly she switches in and the reputation Clefable has for outlasting her checks, Bisharp isn't a reliable answer. this is another hard weakness to fix, but one thing you can do is modify your Scolipede by giving her Poison Jab. while you can try fitting Poison Jab somewhere on your current set, I think the following is more suited for the job and is something to consider:
Scolipede @ Life Orb
Ability: Speed Boost
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Megahorn
- Spikes
- Poison Jab
- Aqua Tail

Scolipede with three attacks is a cool underrated pokémon and while you do lose Toxic Spikes, you gain way more offensive power and an additional pokémon to threaten the troublesome fairies for your team, such as the Clefable mentioned up top. I understand how neat Endeavor Scolipede is when it comes to weakening things down to 1 HP for your other team members, but give this one a try if you'd like something to play around with.

Last edited:
Nice team! As said in the post above you are weak to DD sweepers (mostly altaria) and mega gardevoir. However, i dont think changing clefable to thundurus would help your team because it would make you really weak to sableye (he would 6-0 you first turn). I would recomend to use Klefki over scolipede as it has a much easier time setting up 3 spikes (i dont think toxic spikes work in this team anyway because the team forces many switch ins imo), because of it amazing defensive typing, it helps checking Gardevoir /altaria (watch out for fire blast) and spreading t-waves.

Klefki @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Spikes
- Thunder Wave
- Magnet Rise
- Play Rough

I also think you should edit your post with the new sets FalseHopes recomended and add a way of easily importing the team (and maybe even some replays so people can see how the team works)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)