Metagame np: Stage 2 - Teardrop - Victreebel Banned

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryan

Jojo Siwa enthusiast
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
The collateral damage arguments in this thread are kind of dumb. The main priority of a suspect test should be getting rid of things that are broken, and if there are ways to do that without extra collateral damage, then those other options should be pursued. However, almost all of the discussion I've seen has been about what would get rid of the least viable things and not what would best handle the issue of sun.

From what I can see, getting rid of Victreebel most readily answers the problem. Leafeon is pretty garbage, and both Leafeon and Sawsbuck are infinitely easier to prepare for than Victreebel. Neither have the proper coverage or power to break through most common offensive Grass-type checks without boosting, and every turn spent boosting is one less sun turn. They also gain no power boost in the sun, unlike Victreebel with gets all of Weather Ball, Solar Beam, and boosted Growths to play with on top of a "boost" to Sleep Powder by making it faster. Leafeon and Sawkbuck literally just get an Agility boost and a slightly boosted Synthesis for Leafeon which doesn't help it break teams. Banning Victreebel seems like the obvious way to go.

If you care a lot about collateral damage, banning Heat Rock is easily the best response to nerfing sun. Like I already said, Leafeon and Sawsbuck are mediocre sun sweepers. The only reason why sun is good is because Victreebel is so good. Four turns with a Victreebel in the sun is infinitely more threatening than seven with Leafeon or Sawsbuck. Banning Heat Rock would allow players to use sun as a playstyle as well as self-reliant sun Victreebel. Banning Victreebel would get rid of sun as a playstyle and any non-sun sets that it can run. Sure, sun becomes less consistent without Heat Rock, but at least it can break any sorts of teams rather than having just a good matchup against offense, which rain and sand already probably do much better.

At the end of the day, it's up to the council to decide whether it's better to make sun mediocre and get rid of the actual probablem or make sun decent without having anything super broken in the metagame.

Following both Raiza's and Megazard's line of logic, I see Vullaby increasing in usage after Togetic moves to NU, as it's one of the only viable options for Defog other than Pelipper or Swanna at this point (especially if Pelipper/Swanna do not fit your current team due to type synergy). While Vullaby may not have nearly as much mixed bulk as Togetic, its wide move pool that includes useful tools like Taunt, Whirlwind, U-turn, Tailwind, Toxic, Knock Off, etc. can often come in handy. Additionally, it's able to hard counter Jumpluff via Overcoat and its high Defense (while 2HKOing Jumpluff with Foul Play, as I show here: http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/pu-victim-of-the-week-week-23-sun-sweeper-victreebel.3532587/), and also beats physical threats like Stoutland, Rapidash, Leafeon and Pawniard 1 on 1.

Like Raiza said earlier, I also see Fraxure / Zweilous (and perhaps to a lesser extent, other PU dragons like Dragonair) increasing in both usage and effectiveness since an immunity to Outrage is leaving the tier. Similarly, that means Clefairy / Mr. Mime will have that much more reason to be used on teams, with Steel types like Pawniard / Probopass (especially speed invested Magnet Pull Probopass) / Klang and other offensive checks, like Piloswine becoming more appealing as well. I predict this will change team building a bit more as people will likely include offensive cores based around Fraxure and Zweilous more often, in addition to including a Defensive check/counter to these monsters on each team. This is just speculation on my part, though.

---

As far as the sun suspect goes, I think a complex ban of Chlorophyll on Victreebel only could be added to the list of voting options. The reason being is that I think Chlorophyll itself is what puts Victreebel over the edge. At 478 Speed, your best bet in checking / countering Victreebel is to include niche Pokemon like Sleep Talk SpDef Zweilous or Insomnia SpDef Hypno, or Choice Scarfed Pokemon like Dodrio or Snow Warning Aurorus. Without Chlorophyll however, the list of Pokemon that outspeed and beat it 1 on 1 would increase drastically and would therefore make beating Victreebel much more manageable (due to both its inferior bulk and speed) without harming the option of using Sun outside of Victreebel. The issue to me is that its great speed stat under Sun (478), coupled with Sleep Powder to incapacitate its checks and counters, incredible coverage, a SpAtk stat of 328, and the ability to use LO comfortably all at the same time is way too much for a single Pokemon. By taking that doubled Speed away, the smallest change possible to Sun would have been made without possibly limiting the rest of the current PU meta.

I've also been testing other candidates for Sun teams in place of Victreebel, to see what Sun would look like if Victreebel were to be banned. So far, Weepinbell, Tangela, Bellossom and even Ivysaur have been usable. Tangela stood out to me out of all of these options however because of its considerable physical bulk. I have some replays against higher level players where Sun with Tangela over Victreebel still won (in other words, this presents the possibility that Heat Rock may need to be banned as well, in order to limit Sun's overall effectiveness). After all, Leafeon and Sawsbuck with a SD under Sun still wreck most team archetypes, outside of a few choice Pokemon like Torkoal, Avalugg, Intimidate Arbok, Scarf Dodrio (depending on the speed ran by Leafeon/Sawsbuck), and Defensive Tangela, to name a few. (Listing these checks and counters to Leafeon/Sawsbuck is NOT my way of saying Sun isn't broken lol; it is in my mind for sure.)

In order to prevent the unnecessary banning of pokemon/moves/abilities/items/etc, I would advocate the removal of Victreebel's Chlorophyll first, and then possibly ban Heat Rock or Victreebel altogether in a later suspect if Sun still proves to be too much at that time.

However, at the very least, I think it's been already proven beyond a reasonable doubt in this thread that Chlorophyll activated Victreebel is broken in this current meta, so I'd be happy with whatever changes the council makes to Sun.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/pu-244492803
Tangela Sun vs Optical Reel (1-0)
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/pu-245083431
Tangela Sun vs Afro Dizzy Hacks – 1493 rated guy (3-0)
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/pu-244003797
(Tangela Sun vs Explosive Chaos' Victreebel Sun)
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/pu-244009558
(Tangela Sun vs Explosive Chaos' Victreebel Sun)

I don't really understand how opening a can of worms about complex banning Victreebel (do we free color change Kecleon now? What about Knock Off Less Sneasel, or STAB LESS THROH?!?) is better than simply banning the Pokemon that solves the problem. There isn't really a reason to preserve some Pokemon's bad and mostly ineffective sets (which is what Sd + attacks and Sunny Day + 3 attacks are when I tried them and I haven't seen any proof of them being useful ever) when the main one is exceedingly broken. I don't think anyone thought CB Throh or Sd Eviolite Sneasel, or Color Change Kecleon were really broken at all but yet I didn't see nobody vote do not ban them to preserve variety or something, I don't really get how banning Victreebel is different.

The problem that I see with banning Victreebel is that there are some other Chlorophyll pokes that could be replacing Vic and also be pretty dangerous... Of course, Not as dangerous as Vic, but still threatening with a lot of sun turns.
Weepinbell have exactly the same moveset but with lower stats... It can still deal enough damage against offense and be fast enough to clear things easily with sun. Ivysaur can trade power for bulk to set up Growth and deal massive damage using +2 STAB attacks. Bellossom is bulky as hell and with nice power, even if Dazzling Gleam isn:t as appealing as Fire Weather Ball...

See ya guys!

2xTheTap

YuGiOh main
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
I don't really understand how opening a can of worms about complex banning Victreebel (do we free color change Kecleon now? What about Knock Off Less Sneasel, or STAB LESS THROH?!?) is better than simply banning the Pokemon that solves the problem. There isn't really a reason to preserve some Pokemon's bad and mostly ineffective sets (which is what Sd + attacks and Sunny Day + 3 attacks are when I tried them and I haven't seen any proof of them being useful ever) when the main one is exceedingly broken. I don't think anyone thought CB Throh or Sd Eviolite Sneasel, or Color Change Kecleon were really broken at all but yet I didn't see nobody vote do not ban them to preserve variety or something, I don't really get how banning Victreebel is different.
I don't really understand the logic here; what's smogon's philosophy on complex bans?
Also, if this is the case, and it is more preferable to simply ban the broken Pokemon in question rather than simply removing the move/ ability/ item that makes the Pokemon broken, then why didn't we ban Huntail and Chatot outright?
Huntail is an especially similar case; it's still usable in the tier (and really, no one uses Huntail anymore - it's sitting in D right now because Smashpass was the only reason to use it). Victreebel would still be better than Huntail, but Sunny Day + 3 Attacks / SD + Sleep Powder + 2 Attacks / Sleep Powder + Mixed are all obviously inferior to its current set.
So, my question to you, galbia, is why is banning Victreebel's Chlorophyll not feasible at all to you, whereas banning Huntail's SmashPass set was perfectly acceptable?

Short answer but Shell Smash + Baton Pass was banned on anything that gets it. It happens that Huntail was the only thing that gets it, but if Gorebyss ever drops it won't be legal on that either.

Anty

let's drop
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I don't really understand the logic here; what's smogon's philosophy on complex bans?
Also, if this is the case, and it is more preferable to simply ban the broken Pokemon in question rather than simply removing the move/ ability/ item that makes the Pokemon broken, then why didn't we ban Huntail and Chatot outright?
Huntail is an especially similar case; it's still usable in the tier (and really, no one uses Huntail anymore - it's sitting in D right now because Smashpass was the only reason to use it). Victreebel would still be better than Huntail, but Sunny Day + 3 Attacks / SD + Sleep Powder + 2 Attacks / Sleep Powder + Mixed are all obviously inferior to its current set.
So, my question to you, galbia, is why is banning Victreebel's Chlorophyll not feasible at all to you, whereas banning Huntail's SmashPass set was perfectly acceptable?
There is a difference between banning a move/combination of moves on everything rather on just one thing. Like chatter was the only problem with chatot, and everything that used chatter was broken, similar to shell smash + baton pass. Also those two where the only uncompetitive parts about the pokemon, which is also why people preferred to ban aegislash than just king sheild. Smogon's philosiphy is to ban something if its broken on everything. Banning chlorophyll in this suspect should only be done as a last ditch effort to remove sun (ie if we keep banning stuff but its still broken), but banning chlorophyll on a single pokemon isnt feasible.

Natural Talent

Don't die trying to live..
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Ban Sunny Day
Sun isn't broken but i believe that it makes the mons that abuse it broken. There is no reason to remove a weather that can be used for other reasons (sunny beam)but instead remove something that will keep innovation alive and stabilize the metagame.

Ban Heat Rock
Can help a lot since they still have reduced turns to deal with. The fact sun is still there is p. scary but the presence isn't as frightening.

Ban Victreebel
Why remove a whole mon from the tier? We already are losing enough mons. A victreebel without sun will be less broken and have less of a harsh effect on the tier. It can run other sets, while being less viable it still will have a presence as being a part of the tier and maybe even a threat to the meta.

Ban Chlorophyll
I think the best option is to ban chlorophyll. It is the most passive way to neutralize sun. it nerfs all sun sweeper and it now has them rely on other sets not pertaining to sun.

No Ban
Doing nothing is absolutely absurd. Sun is a problem in this tier and leaving would contradict even having a suspect. With everyone complaining and how broken it actually is it has to go.

Sun has to be watched out for in team building heavily. Either you are unprepared for sun whilst losing to it or over prepared for it and can have a harder time beating other play styles.

After having more time to play around with sun i still feel the same way. Why ban a whole weather just because of it's ability to be abused by chlorophyll mons. How broken can sun be without it's chlorophyll abusers?

I think having a complex Banning of chlorophyll will nerf a few mons but it may stabilize the meta. For Example, Without Chlorophyll Victreebel isn't fast enough to perform sweeps under sun.

My suggestion would to either ban the use of Heat rock (nerfing sun) or ban chlorophyll(basically removing sun).

Last edited:

MZ

And now for something completely different
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Ban Sunny Day
Sun isn't broken but i believe that it makes the mons that abuse it broken. There is no reason to remove a weather that can be used for other reasons (sunny beam)but instead remove something that will keep innovation alive and stabilize the metagame. No ban

Ban Heat Rock
Doesn't help much since they still have 3-4 turns to deal with. The fact sun is still there is p. scary and they can run semi sun teams since it's not as much sun turns to rely on. No ban

Ban Victreebel

Why remove a whole mon from the tier? We already are losing enough mons. A victreebel without sun will be less broken and have less of a harsh effect on the tier. No ban

Ban Chlorophyll
I think the best option is to ban chlorophyll. It is the most passive way to neutralize sun. it nerfs all sun sweeper and it now has them rely on other sets not pertaining to sun. Ban

No Ban

Doing nothing is absolutely absurd. Sun is a problem in this tier and leaving would contradict even having a suspect. With everyone complaining and how broken it actually is it has to go.
I like non sun Victreebel, but to play devil's advocate or wdm, why is losing one mon that will see far less usage after sun (idk probably C+ at best) worse than losing an entire playstyle?

WhiteDMist

Path>Goal
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
There's been a lot of interesting discussion here regarding Sun, it's nice to see people delve into detail about what they think of these possible routes. I felt that the discussion was moving along well enough that I no longer had to play Devil's Advocate, so good job guys! The Sun Suspect Test will end in about 48 hours, so if you want to state your thoughts after playing with and against Sun, get on it. Remember, we are also valuing contributions to this discussion, PU Room activity, an other PU forum projects for those who are interested in voting.

Remember to post your alt in the Identification thread as well!

i think that it's pretty much accepted that heat rock ban OR vic ban both nerf sun to the point of being non-broken. going off of hollywood's post i'd say we dont need to completely screw over sun (although it is the problem, the whole matchup shit becomes a LOT less relevant w/ only 3-4 turns). this is in response to natural talent's post and a few above those.

EDIT- that's exactly what i'm leaning towards as well. i was gonna try to get reqs but i've been feeling wayy too lazy/unwell atm.

Last edited:

MZ

And now for something completely different
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
i think that it's pretty much accepted that heat rock ban OR vic ban both nerf sun to the point of being non-broken. going off of hollywood's post i'd say we dont need to completely screw over sun (although it is the problem, the whole matchup shit becomes a LOT less relevant w/ only 3-4 turns). this is in response to natural talent's post and a few above those.
So it's better to screw over vic than sun? Honestly this seems like it's gonna come down to tiering philosophies more than anything, I'd rather keep vic than sun but other people wouldnt so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

So it's better to screw over vic than sun? Honestly this seems like it's gonna come down to tiering philosophies more than anything, I'd rather keep vic than sun but other people wouldnt so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I'd argue yes, banning one mon is a lot less collateral damage than crippling an entire playstyle. Outside of sun Victreebel is very mediocre, but sun without Victreebel is still pretty good and adds another balanced teamstyle to the tier. Both ways make sense, but banning Heat Rock doesn't make that much sense to me when you can just ban Victreebel and remove the broken part (on top of the other arguments as to why it's the better option).

Hmmmmmm to be sure about the difference between banning sun and banning Vic... Have someone tested Weepinbell? It could replace Vic on sun without being as broken? If Weepinbell is also too much to handle, the answer will need to be banning HR, Chlorophyll or Sun but if it is powerful but manageable, then just ban Vic to keep sun as a playstyle...

Hmmmmmm to be sure about the difference between banning sun and banning Vic... Have someone tested Weepinbell? It could replace Vic on sun without being as broken? If Weepinbell is also too much to handle, the answer will need to be banning HR, Chlorophyll or Sun but if it is powerful but manageable, then just ban Vic to keep sun as a playstyle...
Weepingbell actually has been tested a bit and from what I've seen, it is still able to abuse the power boost from Solarbeam and Weather Ball and the Speed boost from Chlorophyll pretty well, but it's lack of power really holds it back. If you're running Life Orb, it's easily revenge killed by strong priority and if youre running Eviolite, it lacks the power that Victreebel has to just simply run through teams. Honestly, banning Victreebel is what seems like the best way to solve the problem since Sawsbuck and Leafeon can't abuse sun to the extent that Victreebel can, as Victreebel gets two stronger moves in Solarbeam and Weather Ball, while Sawsbuck and Leafeon just get the boost in Speed. Banning Victreebel would keep sun viable, but not broken, and cause the least collateral damage overall.

I know I am late to the sun discussion, but I had church camp and I have no regrets.

To start out my opinion on this whole suspect test, I am going to go through the basic fundamentals of this suspect, and break down my thought process and reasoning for my main entree of the entire post. First of all, the main goal of this suspect is to make sun unbroken and healthy. While keeping collateral damage at a minimum is important, it isn't our first priority. This means we shouldn't be throwing out any of these options right away. The best way to go at this suspect is to start with the weakest ban option (the option that will effect sun the least), and see if it is enough to make sun healthy and unbroken. Keeping this in mind, this is, in my opinion, the order of bans from weakest to strongest in terms of lowering Sun's effectiveness.

Do Not Ban- Obviously, Not banning anything is the weakest option to weaken sun, because you aren't weakening anything at all.
Ban Heat Rock-
Heat rock and Victreebel are, in my opinion, very tricky to order because they are both nerfing Sun by about the same amount. 3 turns less of sun is huge to the playstyle, because it decreases the efficiency of one successful Sunny Day, and really requires you to use your sun turns to the fullest. With 5 turns of Sun, you will probably only end up with 3 for your sweeper by the time you get them in safely. This means that your Victreebel, Sawsbuck, and Leafeon are not going to sweep an entire team with one Sunny Day, and they are much easier to deal with. This would also make it very important for sun setters to stay alive and healthy to get numerous sunny day's off. This ban affects sun as a whole for sure.
Ban Victreebel- Victreebel IS the face of sun. Without Victreebel, I guarantee hardly anyone would be using sun as much as they are now. This doesn't mean that sun without victreebel is unviable though, because other people in this thread has posted experiences with other sweepers and they are still looking very usable. Banning Victreebel is in my opinion more drastic than heat rock because I think that sun teams without heat rock are still better than sun teams without victreebel, which is the bottom line in ordering this list.
Ban Chlorophyll- Chlorophyll is more drastic than Victreebel because without this ability on it, Victreebel is not viable as a sun sweeper. It is simply not fast enough to clean up everything, and it will get ko'd before it does it's work. Not only does it make Victreebel useless in sun, but it makes nearly all other chlorophyll sweepers useless in the sun too. The combination of these two things make it more drastic than simply taking victreebel out of the picture.
Ban Sunny Day-
This completely takes sun out of the picture, which is clearly the most drastic ban.

now that I had a good idea of what i should look at from first to last, I started testing each ban in this order. After drawing up enough data on every route we could go with this suspect, I drew up reasonable conclusions on each ban. Now on to the main course of this entire post.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Conclusions on each ban option

Do not ban

For me, this was the easiest option to discard. Very little testing was needed to be clear that Sun is too much of a problem to not ban anything. My first reaction was that Victreebel is the clear culprit of this entire suspect even happening. Its access to chlorophyll, weather ball, stabs in sludge bomb and solar beam, sleep powder, and it's setter's access to heat rock allowed it to have the tools to effectively wreak havoc and implant nightmares on most teams it came across. Very few things can handle well built sun teams with standard sun victreebel on it. This threw out the idea of not banning anything completely for me.

Ban Heat rock

This little rock does a lot for sun teams, and it was apparent to the start for me that banning it would definitely nerf sun a fair amount. The question I had to ask was, is it enough? Before i left to camp, i was sold on the fact that no heat rock was enough to definitely make all sun sweepers perfectly fine in PU. I knew that with only 5 turns of sun, the sun sweeper would generally only have 3-4 turns to sweep or dent the opposing team for each sunny day. The only question was if Victreebel could still do enough damage in those turns to make it broken and unhealthy. I tested no heat rock sun setters with the standard looking sun build of Onix/Volbeat/Zebstrika/Victreebel/Leafeon/Rapidash, and I saw a big drop in effectiveness in the sun team as a whole. I would have to use my turns i had as effectively as i could while conserving my setters more, and it still was sometimes just not enough to break through many teams. Thinking through it all, I came to the conclusion that it is enough, until I read through this discussion today after getting back from church camp.

I never thought of the idea of having 2 or more durable sun setters+victreebel rather than onix+volbeat and the usual sun skeleton i seem to see on the ladder and in this thread, and this was put in my head after reading some of WhiteDmist's thoughts. In theory, having 2 or more durable sun setters with victreebel would make victreebel have the same effect it did on the teams using heat rock, and end up breaking through teams like it did to begin with. The only difference is that you have to play very carefully to get victreebel in safely and let it use its turns of sun effective, while still keeping your sun setters alive as long as possible. This style is harder to pull off than the standard sun, but I could definitely see it work out. Therefore, since banning heat rock could just lead to teams with 3 sun setters and Victreebel, I think banning heat rock isn't enough. Victreebel will have the same effectiveness if used in the right teams and played properly.

Of course, I haven't had time to test those types of teams out yet, and I hopefully will be able to in this last 48 hours. But in theory this looks very accurate and leads me to go to the next option.

Ban Victreebel

After all of my thinking, testing, and reading from before and after church camp, I think this is the option we need to resort to. The options I discussed above so far are not enough to make sun healthy again, and this one is just enough to do the job. The main question we need to ask when seeing if this ban does the job is, are there any more chlorophyll sweepers that can sweep like victreebel can to make sun unhealthy or broken? After seeing other people test pokemon like tangela in place of victreebel, I think there is no other pokemon that can sweep like victreebel can. Tangela is the closest at doing what victreebel does, and it doesn't have poison stab to make sludge bomb as strong, and it doesn't have weather ball to make a strong fire attack either like victreebel. It just doesn't fit the bill at creating enough damage output that victreebel does to break through teams.

The other question we must ask is, are there any other factors of sun that is broken to merit any other drastic options? The answer to this question is also a no. Without heat rock, Victreebel still can do what it does best. the fire attackers are also walled much easier than victreebel is so they aren't making sun unhealthy. the sun setters themselves aren't broken by any means, so the only thing that makes sun broken is the chlorophyll sweeper offense, namely victreebel. Without Victreebel Sun isn't broken to me, and that is all we need to get the right answer. Banning Victreebel is the least drastic, and still an effective enough way to make sun healthy and unbroken. Yes, banning Victreebel means that some of it's other unbroken sets won't get to be used. However, like many other people in this thread have stated, we have done things like this in the past in smogon, and our main priority is making sun healthy and unbroken, not keeping victreebel's other sets allowed in PU. This is the answer that has the least amount of collateral damage while still doing the job.

The Other Options
The other options we have don't need to be considered with the logic that i used to come up with an answer in suspect testing. the other options are more drastic with more collateral damage, and if we already have a less drastic answer that still gets the same job done, that is what we need to do. Banning Victreebel, Chlorophyll, or Sunny Day all three make Sunny day unbroken, (or not allowed to begin with) but banning victreebel simply is the least drastic one and most efficient one to choose. Banning chlorophyll hurts other sun sweepers that don't need to be hurt, and banning sunny day takes it out altogether, which is not the problem. The problem is victreebel's strong offense, and heat rock doesn't do enough to stop that. These other options are options that will work, but shouldn't be chosen unless we find a reason why banning victreebel isn't enough to do the job.

This is my complete opinion, thought process, and stance on this suspect test. I'm sorry it is such a wall of a post, but I wanted to get all my thoughts put out before the discussion ended. I will try to test more on using Victreebel+3 sun setters with no heat rock, but as of right now I feel very confident that heat rock simply isn't enough to do the job.​

WhiteDMist

Path>Goal
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Lovely post Ztstaffo I commend you on the effort. I will say that Weepinbell has been getting a lot of notice as a replacement for Victreebel, so I would suggest looking into it as well.

Ok I am going to start dropping my weepinbell team games here for now, just for some data on it since we are talking about weepinbell maybe being a replacement if victreebel is gone. So far i am impressed in its power, but i just started so i can't say anything yet.
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/pu-247233315
I really goofed up this game, just pasting it to show that i at least know weepinbell has some offensive power like victreebel has.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/pu-247536054

In this match I would've been able to clean up if i had the victreebel power instead of the tangela power. Sludge bomb with victreebel has stab and would've picked up the ko.. So far it seems no replacements can clean up quite like victreebel can.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/pu-247538913

This match against Raiza showed how much weepinbell's lack of speed compared to victreebel hurts it. with base 55 speed, it can't outspeed scarf mime in the sun still, and it almost led to my loss. My only thing i'm noticing is how the core of tangela+weepinbell on the same team works almost as well as victreebel exclusively.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/pu-247542760

ok this works just as well as victreebel offense

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/pu-247544076

So I went in a ps tour and took 2nd with the weepinbell team, losing to Megazard's sticky web team. Honestly, I still can't tell if this is just as broken as Victreebel sun or not so I am going to see how well i can ladder with it seriously and hopefully this will validate my opinion

Last edited:
Unrelated to the suspect at hand, but the recent complex ban makes it impossible to baton pass speed + other boosts, but makes it acceptable to actively run Shell Smash and Baton Pass on the same set, as long as you don't use them consecutively. With that in mind, shouldn't we unban SmashPass considering there is no point to keeping it banned anymore? In theory, a Gorebyss/Huntail might want to drypass to retain momentum if they felt the opponent ha agood enough switch-in, so it wouldn't be a purposeless unban.

EDIT: Deleted this post because I tried to find a better thread to post it in, but I couldn't, so I'm un-deleting it.

the sun suspect is a definite step in the right direction; sun is one of those uncommon problems that is a real nightmare to play around without specific pokemon. it was easier in the meta with kecleon and mega glalie to check it with strong priority, as well as the defensive metas where specific bulky pokemon were especially viable, but now it is very difficult to have a solid team that also checks sun without niche answers. there are a couple of common pokemon that can tailor their sets slightly to have an easier time, but they have their own disadvantages such as stealth rock weaknesses or an ease in wearing down. at one point i even used safety goggles on my regigigas solely because i was annoyed at pokemon like victreebel sleeping the pokemon bulky enough to check it (it helps with jumpluff too and i missed leftovers slightly, but it was worth the reactions). my personal opinion would be to ban chlorophyll, but since i'm not voting and there is pretty overwhelming support for the other options i won't justify it; it won't have any bearing and i'd be happy with any result.

i am very happy with the fact that people are using defensive tangela again; while offensive versions of defensive pokemon can be nice in some facets i think they only really work well for their surprise value (outside of things like grumpig which are probably better offensively than defensively). tangela is a phenomenal pokemon right now; its ability to wall a plethora of threats to balanced teams, such as shell smash barbaracle and carracosta, belly drum poliwrath, cb stoutland (with stun spore or no mons being slept), jumpluff, and life orb torterra make it an exceptional pokemon in this regard. its insane bulk and variety of move options, all of which aid it quite a bit, turn it in a top-tier pokemon like it represented itself as in early pu. sleep powder, stun spore, knock off, synthesis, are all viable options for the third and fourth slot, possibly leaf storm when using offensive tangela but i'm only referring to the defensive set here. regenerator is the kicker of course, it's simply so valuable because tangela can be used to check a multitude of these balance-breakers, while they only have finite survivability.

the insane rise of popularity in clefairy contributed to the manifestation of the now commonplace "cleftang" core, which has pretty impeccable defensive synergy and covers a large amount of relevant threats in the metagame. clefairy has a lot of special bulk, takes advantage of supportive pokemon like gourgiest, and can provide a win condition or stealth rock user, a valuable tool in compression. the few problems this core faces (arbok coming to mind as well as other relevant poison-types, and pawniard) are dealt with pretty handily with the core of misdreavus + poliwrath, which provides a check to the normal-types running around such as cb stoutland, as well as priority, status, a ground immune, a fighting immune, and taunt. i love this core to pieces; i have a lot of teams with tangela + clefairy + misdreavus + poliwrath on it.

and here's where i think a problem lies. when building teams, i find myself continually supporting whatever idea i have with this core. partially this is because i love to use balanced teams, and obviously hyper offense could probably be built differently, but i wasn't very happy. the issue i'm having is that the strength of the pokemon in this core in countering these difficult to beat otherwise pokemon is masking the fact that they are, in fact, difficult to beat. tangela is an incredibly solid check to barbaracle. clefairy is an incredibly solid check to simipour. poliwrath is an incredibly solid check to pawniard. and i don't think this is good, because we sort of gloss over the potential broken-ness of these pokemon due to the fact that the few pokemon to that do manage to check them decently enough are exceedingly common, because they check these pokemon. it masks their brokenness in a sense; because we have no trouble beating these pokemon, we think they aren't broken. but in building balanced teams i struggled massively. because i definitely could use few other pokemon to cover my issues, but nothing was as efficient. and i don't like that i keep coming back to this in building balanced teams, because i think several pokemon truly are broken, and until they are gone then the teams i am trying to build are all looking the same. this is partially why i think pokemon like pelipper are bad, they don't do 'enough' to merit their teamslot; "why am i using this pokemon to check poliwrath when this pokemon checks it but also checks everything else?". i am definitely sort of rambling, but i think in a sense this metagame seems almost perfect when it is pretty flawed. this is something to consider if we want this tier to be taken seriously in the future.

how do we fix this? first we need to discuss if there actually is a problem; i'm sorry to hijack the sun discussion but i would definitely appreciate discussion here, people sharing their thoughts and opinions on the state of the metagame and the issues present. if we identify a problem, we should discuss ways to fix it. after pupl is over we can try testing tours, or wait for new drops to come, but i think we need to really look harder at pokemon like barbaracle, simipour, pawniard, stoutland, even grumpig (yes you might not take me seriously but this thing is legitimately a nightmare to deal with; what walls psychic and focus blast while not minding toxic or taunt? and no, i am not saying grumpig is broken or even suspect worthy because i don't think it is, it gets overwhelmed easily with offensive pressure, status, knock off, toxic spikes, lack of recover etc. but i also think it's harder to make a team that isn't weak to grumpig because balanced team builders have to have their teams follow very specific structures in order to deal with everything else, and these structures are naturally quite weak to certain pokemon. would really love discussion guys ^_^.

I'd argue yes, banning one mon is a lot less collateral damage than crippling an entire playstyle. Outside of sun Victreebel is very mediocre, but sun without Victreebel is still pretty good and adds another balanced teamstyle to the tier. Both ways make sense, but banning Heat Rock doesn't make that much sense to me when you can just ban Victreebel and remove the broken part (on top of the other arguments as to why it's the better option).
But people don't seem to agree on whether sun w/ 5 turns or sun w/o vic would be better? From the arguments I've seen in the thread, some people (like hollywood) seem to think that sun would be better with victreebel but without heat rock than with Victreebel banned, while others (such as yourself) seem to think that sun w/o vic would be better than sun w/ heat rock banned. It's something I feel should be cleared up, otherwise these arguments just go round in circles.

WhiteDMist

Path>Goal
Remember to send in your alts! If you don't think you have contributed enough to the discussion, make use of this last day and a half to add more. It's been two weeks, and everyone should have had a chance to play with or fight against different variations of Sun, and it was definitely possible to test out each of the options and see what looks best.

As a reminder, you can vote for multiple options by order of preference as well!

Ok im going to make this short and hopefully sweet.

Sun is unhealthy and readily steamrolls through teams with Pokemon like Victreebel and 8 turns of sun.
Ban Sunny Day- This to me at least seems too drastic because Sun itself isnt broken however the Pokemon that actually use the attacks. I dont think we need to resort to completely removing a playstyle just yet.
Ban Heat Rock- 8 turns, eh? Well that is what makes Trick Room teams long for more but even with just 10 or so turns (Implying a successful onix lead and a Volbeat Sunny Day) Victreebel can easily still stomp through your team without to much of a problem(And even its teammates to soften you up!). I dont think this would be able to nerf the problem enough to fit the metagame.
Ban Victreebel- The option ive been waiting for. The Pokemon that can single-handedly outspeed your whole team(Barring things like Chlorophyll Jumpluff) and easily kill it as well. I dont think that Victreebel's other sets are worth keeping in the meta either. What else does it have? Swords dance? Why not use a leafeon z_z. Not to mention that no one even uses this already so why are we compromising the best ban just to keep Victreebel's frankly mediocre sets "alive". I think this option effectively targets down sun and nerfs it well.
Ban Chlorophyll- Chlorophyll is only really half the problem of why Victreebel is broken and doesn't even make the other Pokemon on sun broken like Leafeon. This seems like a dumb option to me when we can just fix the whole problem by banning Victreebel as a whole.
Do Not Ban- Are you kidding me? Im sure this was put here just as a formality but no z_z.

In the end I think banning Victreebel is the best and most effective way to nerf sun well.

Thank you for reading my posterino.

Grim

The Ghost
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Final thoughts:

Do Not Ban: There obviously is an issue and I haven't seen anyone argue that there is not in this thread.

Ban Sunny Day: Choosing this option would imply that everything in sun is broken which is obviously far from the case. While this option solves the problem (Victreebel in sun), it causes a lot of unnecessary collateral damage by getting rid of a whole playstyle. Not worth it when the other options deal with the issue just fine.

Ban Chlorophyll: Banning Chlorophyll would certainly solve the issue of Victreebel being broken, but Chlorophyll is only part of what makes Victreebel such a monster, and it's not like all Chlorophyll users are broken. I don't know why anyone would choose this option when they can choose banning Victreebel or Heat Rock and not get rid of sun as a somewhat usable playstyle.

Ban Victreebel: Victreebel under the sun has very few counters and checks, and some of those are pretty obscure (Hypno), while others are forced to use inferior abilities, items, and / or ev spreads, such as Chlorophyll Jumpluff and Sawsbuck, Safety Goggles fatmon, Quilladin with Spd investment). It is basically just an incredible wallbreaker that, thanks to Chlorophyll, has incredible Speed as well. The other sun sweepers are good as well, but Victreebel is the reason why I believe sun is broken. It has an amazing matchup against 90% of the tier, and the few teams that happen to carry a check for it are often made worse by having one of these checks because they are worse overall than other Pokemon (Grumpig / Lickilicky are way better than Hypno, Tangela and Torterra are way better than Quilladin). If your team does not have a dedicated answer to Victreebel, and those answers are not ones that you end up carrying without thinking about a certain threat in particular as you would for a lot of other Pokemon, then the best thing you can do is try to play around it until Victreebel dies from Life Orb recoil or can be picked off by priority, which is obviously not a good way to deal with a Pokemon. Victreebel is what makes sun as a playstyle broken, so it's only logical to ban Victreebel.

Ban Heat Rock: This is a pretty valid option because it cripples cripples sun enough for it to not be broken anymore, while still allowing the use of Victreebel. However, at this point I don't see why we should ban Heat Rock just to make Victreebel easier to deal with if we can just ban Victreebel itself, especially because it is how Smogon has always dealt with broken Pokemon. The non-full sun Victreebel sets are pretty garbage anyway so no loss lol. By banning Victreebel instead, sun without Victreebel is also unaffected so we're not removing a viable playstyle from PU Heat Rock-less sun is usable but still pretty mediocre), although sun without Victreebel is much worse than rain.

Ok I already got a few initial Weepinbell matches up in my earlier post, but now i'm making a serious effort to ladder with weepinbell to see if it takes me as high as victreebel did. I will post a log of each of those matches in hide tags in this post for data on it. Currently however, I actually think weepinbell+tangela is almost as good as victreebel, which wants me to actually almost start leaning towards banning chlorophyll. What will really decide it is how well this team with weepinbell and tangela fares. It already has shown a lot of potential in a few pu tours on ps.

Game One: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/pu-247579187
Game Two: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/pu-247581908 omg this game actually makes me want to cry. you could really see the lack of offense compared to victreebel, but at the same time weepinbell also rips through teams still with sleep powder+coverage

Game Three: A forfeit from the other player not worth sharing

Game Four: Another forfeit

Game Five: Server wouldn't let me get replay on that one, but my low kick rapidash successfully lured and killed a spdef zweilous for weepinbell to terrorize

Game Six: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/pu-247587133 Another game that makes me want to cry, because i hit 1 sleep powder out of four :(. However, this also is another showcase of weepinbell and tangela's lack of power compared to victreebel. I also misplayed, i should've just attacked the stoutland and not try to put it to sleep, but still. Another point is that sleep powder is unreliable on weepinbell and victreebel both.

Game Seven: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/pu-247591530 Surprise Surprise, I ran into the same person. This time I played much better and got the win with my sun sweepers. I am now convinced after these matches so far that Weepinbell+Tangela are simply just a bit too unreliable, relying too much on sleep powder hits and stealth rock to get some necessary 2hko's

Last edited:
Ok I already got a few initial Weepinbell matches up in my earlier post, but now i'm making a serious effort to ladder with weepinbell to see if it takes me as high as victreebel did. I will post a log of each of those matches in hide tags in this post for data on it. Currently however, I actually think weepinbell+tangela is almost as good as victreebel, which wants me to actually almost start leaning towards banning chlorophyll. What will really decide it is how well this team with weepinbell and tangela fares. It already has shown a lot of potential in a few pu tours on ps.

Game One: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/pu-247579187
Game Two: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/pu-247581908 omg this game actually makes me want to cry. you could really see the lack of offense compared to victreebel, but at the same time weepinbell also rips through teams still with sleep powder+coverage

Game Three: A forfeit from the other player not worth sharing

Game Four: Another forfeit

Game Five: Server wouldn't let me get replay on that one, but my low kick rapidash successfully lured and killed a spdef zweilous for weepinbell to terrorize

Game Six: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/pu-247587133 Another game that makes me want to cry, because i hit 1 sleep powder out of four :(. However, this also is another showcase of weepinbell and tangela's lack of power compared to victreebel. I also misplayed, i should've just attacked the stoutland and not try to put it to sleep, but still. Another point is that sleep powder is unreliable on weepinbell and victreebel both.

Game Seven: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/pu-247591530 Surprise Surprise, I ran into the same person. This time I played much better and got the win with my sun sweepers. I am now convinced after these matches so far that Weepinbell+Tangela are simply just a bit too unreliable, relying too much on sleep powder hits and stealth rock to get some necessary 2hko's
To be honest, none of these replays really prove much of anything because they're all against really subpar teams with stuff like Sub DD Tropius, Assault Vest Armaldo, and mixed Golduck (the "best" of the three teams had non-sash Leavanny and Aqua Tail Lickilicky .-.). I haven't tested Weepinbell sun yet, but from what I can tell its lack of power, slightly less speed, and especially its much lower bulk which actually matters a lot for taking hits if it can't OHKO something and for taking priority (compare 252+ Atk Piloswine Ice Shard vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Victreebel: 170-204 (56.2 - 67.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock to 252+ Atk Piloswine Ice Shard vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Weepinbell: 210-248 (77.2 - 91.1%) -- 25% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock) hold it back from being nearly as good as Victreebel was, even if it's not /that/ much weaker. In my opinion this would be fine (though a bit more testing would be nice), since sun is honestly only a little broken even with Victreebel, so it shouldn't be too much of a problem without it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)