Underused Pokemon Matchmaking Phase 2 [Week 29 - Nasty Plot Infernape]

when you are specific looking for a P2 partner, you have to look for someone who can resist both Knock Off and HJK Fighting STAB
defog shenanigans are also appreciated so my vote is on Hogg

damn this is tough
Ganna have to go with hogg because he chose a fighting resist with taunt that prevents set up which pory jas provlens with.

nv

The Lost Age
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
With 8 votes...Hogg is the winner this week! This also makes Hogg the first person to enter into the HoF for this thread! Congrats Hogg for being the first. I would draw you up a trophy, but sadly I am a horrible artist (can't even use MS Paint ffs) so I will just grab a GIF to add into the HoF when I get to it, :P

Anyways, with this week's winner being put into the HoF giving me some unintended work to do, my lack of activity the last few days, and the suspect test currently going on...I decided this will be on hold until the suspect test ends so as to have everyone focus on leaving the Burd Jesus or banning the Burd Jesus. And if it stays...I may do it for the next week :o

dingbat

snek
is a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnus
With 8 votes...Hogg is the winner this week! This also makes Hogg the first person to enter into the HoF for this thread! Congrats Hogg for being the first. I would draw you up a trophy, but sadly I am a horrible artist (can't even use MS Paint ffs) so I will just grab a GIF to add into the HoF when I get to it, :P

Anyways, with this week's winner being put into the HoF giving me some unintended work to do, my lack of activity the last few days, and the suspect test currently going on...I decided this will be on hold until the suspect test ends so as to have everyone focus on leaving the Burd Jesus or banning the Burd Jesus. And if it stays...I may do it for the next week :o
Don't ever sell yourself short on your drawing skills

Or else you'll never discover the talent that is deep inside you...

nv

The Lost Age
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
In response to Cactrune, this is now being brought back with a vengeance.

With my lack of activity, which wasn't stated anywhere (and I am so sorry for that you guys), and the delay of voting on the suspect, this thread sort of died. But I am bringing it back to life! This week (which will last until next Friday so it will be a bit more than a week) is a Pokemon that has been getting a lot of talk in the UnderUsed room of Showdown! and a bit on the Viability Rankings (dodmen has also been using this Pokemon and talking it up). This Pokemon is also one of those that was at its peak back in XY and sadly lost its luster in ORAS and that is...

Mega Houndoom is an amazing Pokemon that sadly, with new Megas and tier shifts, fell from glory between XY and ORAS. So I hope everyone has fun looking for good partners and give a good welcome back to the Matchmaking thread!

Houndoom @ Houndoominite
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Dark Pulse
- Protect
- Nasty Plot

Virizion @ Lum Berry/leftovers
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Leaf Blade
- Stone Edge/substitute
- Swords Dance

I believe this is the set that dodmen uses on Mega houndoom and has had success with it. I decided to pair it with Virizion who takes all of the Water moves and ground moves aimed at mega houndoom with ease and in return, prior to Mega Evolving, Houndoom can grab a nifty Flash fire boost from stuff aimed at virizion. I opted for lum SD 3 Attacks as then you at least get one free switch in on scald and are not completely walled by flying types but you could opt for leftovers and substitute. You are gonna need to add a steel type to this pairing cause currently crobat and Mega aero shred this apart, I'd suggest the standard doublade as that also deters Mienshao from spamming high jump kick.

Mega Houndoom+Whimsicott
Yeah, my partner is a Grass-type like everyone else's, sue me. Anyway, Whimsicott is a pretty cool option for Houndoom, and it's capable of supporting it in an enormous amount of ways. First off, it's a very good check to many of the things that Houndoom despises, including what is perhaps its best offensive check, Hydreigon. It also resists troublesome Fighting moves from things like Scarf Mienshao, which threaten to revenge-kill Mega Houndoom, as well as checking Bulky Waters and eliminating all of these Pokemon with its STAB moves. Between Encore, Stun Spore, and Memento, Whimsicott has a multitude of ways to open up holes for Mega Houndoom. If you really want to, you can even use Whimsicott to set up Sunny Day, activating Mega Houndoom's deadly Solar Power ability, which makes it even stronger than before. The biggest problem is which support options to outfit Whimsicott with to best support Houndoom, though I personally recommend Encore and Stun Spore, because they're less tailored to just Mega Houndoom and allow Whimsicott to support everything else on the team just as well. Mega Houndoom can help Whimsicott too, though, because it can switch in to some of the Fire-types that check the cotton ball, namely defensive Moltres, Arcanine, and most Chandelure variants. Whimsicott can U-turn on these threats to bring Houndoom in and force switches like it does so well.

The best teammate here is probably Doublade, which remedies this core's weakness to Crobat and Mega Aerodactyl. It can help break past Special Walls that Houndoom and Whimsicott can't do much damage to, and it also benefits from Whimsicott's support because it hates the bulky Waters that Whimsicott beats. Hazard-setters are also very valuable, considering that Houndoom and Whimsicott together can force some serious switches. Water-types also do pretty well with these two, because they complete the standard FWG core and provide the team with a sturdier Fire-check, relieving some pressure from Houndoom.

Houndoom @ Houndoominite
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Dark Pulse
- Protect
- Nasty Plot

Whimsicott Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Moonblast
- Encore
- Stun Spore / Giga Drain
- U-turn / Stun Spore

MEGA HOUNDOOM
+
ROTOM-MOW

Houndoom @ Houndoominite
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Fire Blast
- Dark Pulse
- Taunt

Mega Houndoom is quite the under-appreciated Pokemon ever since ORAS. In the eyes of many, people think "why Houndoom over the likes of Chandelure?" Well I'll tell you...
This dude thinks of some nasty shit.
The set for Houndoom is no secret to anyone, we all know what it's for.
Houndoom's frailty prevents it from safely switching, also ground types as well as water types are a serious issue, as they easily eliminate Houndoom without breaking a sweat. Something to take these attacks and return fire is a necessity for Houndoom, and that's why the teammate I choose for Houndoom is....

Rotom-Mow @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 64 HP / 252 SpA / 192 Spe
Modest Nature
- Volt Switch
- Leaf Storm
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split

Rotom-Mow's immunity to ground and ability to murder water types as well as ground types make the perfect ship for Houndoom. As Rotom-mow does this, Houndoom takes attacks from any Fire type, who would present an issue for rotom-Mow. Also Will-O-Wisp is useful for crippling fast physical threats who would otherwise OHKO Houndoom. Pain Split is very nice for weakening stalling bitches "Crocune" whom give Houndoom an issue, it also allows for Houndoom to get OHKO's or 2HKO's it would otherwise not get.

EDIT: If I could, I would totally put a fighting check here, but since it can only be a single teammate it's all I can do.

Last edited:
Reactions: nv

feen

control
is a Top Tiering Contributoris a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

Houndoom @ Houndoomite
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Fire Blast
- Dark Pulse
- Destiny Bond

Slurpuff @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Unburden
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Belly Drum
- Play Rough
- Drain Punch
- Frustration

What stops a Slurpuff from sweeping the foe's team? Steel-types such as Doublade, Mega Aggron, and Forretress, as well as bulky Psychic-types such as Cresselia. This is where Mega Houndoom comes in. It can take care of all the aforementioned Pokemon and give Slurpuff a great opportunity to plow through the opposing team.

Last edited:
Welcome back friends. RIP Mega Pidgeot and all that Jazz. Onto the Good Stuff.

Mega Houndoom.
Houndoom @ Houndoominite
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Fire Blast
- Dark Pulse
- Taunt

One of Mega Houndoom's biggest problems is not Water or Ground Types, but Fighting Types. Fighting Types like Mienshao, Infernape, Lucario, Cobalion, Machamp, and Toxicroak. Fighting Types that can outspeed and exploit Houndoom's low defense. Each of these fighting types are not unknown to run Choice Scarf (except Lucario and Cobalion who naturally outspeed), and deal their damage before leaving with a smile on their face. Other problem mons include Sharpedo, Yanmega, Mega Aerodactyl, Hydreigon, Salamence, Florges, Slurpuff and Snorlax.

So instead of going for another Offensive threat, I opted for a defensive counter. For Houndoom to effectively sweep, I wanted a Pokemon that could take a hit, set up some hazards, and preferably remove hazards. The only one that fits the bill is Forretress.

Forretress @ Rocky Helmet / Leftovers / Red Card
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Def
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Stealth Rock
- Rapid Spin
- Gyro Ball
- Toxic / Volt Switch

Forretress' monstrous defense means that any fighting type is going to be doing chip damage to it, and Rocky Helmet punishes them for doing it, forcing them to switch to a special sweeper. I opted for Stealth Rocks over Spikes because of the ability to hit more targets, especially Yanmega and Aerodactyl for harder damage. Any percent lower that those two titans force themselves is a percentage I don't have to roll for later. Rapid Spin is to take out opposing rocks, as Houndoom appreciates being at as high a percentage as possible. Gyro Ball is mostly to deal with Fairies. As Florges basically comes in for free, and its natural Special Attack is high enough to 2HKO Houndoom with no investment, it is a huge problem, that Gyro Ball can take care of. The bigger problem is Slurpuff for houndoom, though Forretress takes it like a champ.
The last slot can be Toxic, for walls that sponge both mons, and residual damage over time, or a slow Volt Switch that allows Houndoom to come in safely, without worrying about a hard switch
The Item you choose is also based on your team. Rocky Helmet is the one I prefer because it punishes physical fighting types the hardest. Leftovers, however, give Forretress its only recovery option. Red card shuffles momentum, and causes an immediate Stealth Rock hurt to a pokemon, unprepared for.

However, Suicune, Snorlax and Entei still have to be watched for, as the former two can set up or either mon, and fear nothing either has to offer, while Entei takes any of Houndooms hits (if it isn't E-speeding) and pressures Forretress with Sacred Fire. Arcanine poses similar problems, but takes more damage, and has a hard time spamming Flare Blitz, though does have access to recovery options.

If Yanmega is a problem, I did make a set that can take on a few more special Sweepers.

EVs: 248 HP / 148 Def / 112 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Spe

252+ SpA Choice Specs Tinted Lens Yanmega Bug Buzz vs. 248 HP / 112+ SpD Forretress: 262-308 (74.2 - 87.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock.
The defense is still incredibly high, and it doesn't change the movepool at all. However, Forretress can't take quite as many physical hits. So see what your team needs first.

Apologies for the many options, but that's part of what I love about the mon-- it's teambuilding, not corebuilding! Forretress can be built to fit to your team.

DKFirelord

Back this time I swear!
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
The Hound and The Mountain
+

I'm Baaaack and with another dank core. Salamence and Mega Houndoom can actually make a very good core salamce can get tank those fighting and ground attack amazing for Mega Doom, provide hazard removel, and tier down those special walls that bother doom. First lets get to doom set it's basically a Normal NO sweeper set but, WITH PROTECT. I got this set from the underrated sets (forgot who made it) it's basically let you get off a free Mega getting that amazing speed tier and scout for moves which can useful for choice mons and let's Mienshoa take that nice 50 % damage. Salamence can pull off two sets for doom defensive Defog or LO attacker. The defensive Defog set is able to switch into Physicals attacks for doom and gets rid of hazard. The second set , which I prefer to use with doom, the LO attacker I made these evs to be able to have OHKO blissey which love Hoodom with a plus one Outrage , OHKO with rocks , and can has a chance to OHKO Porygon2 with three layer of Spikes, yes the fat duck, with Outarage with a plus 2 or Draco + a plus one Outrage can OHKO it. A Mamoswine switch-in is very much recommended so Porygon or a fat Water-type can help that. Spikes support is like this core God Forrtress or Chestnaught are what come to mind. Use the core you will not be disappointed bye :D

+2 88 Atk Life Orb Salamence Outrage vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Porygon2: 242-285 (64.7 - 76.2%) -- 12.5% chance to OHKO after 3 layers of Spikes

+1 88 Atk Life Orb Salamence Outrage vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Blissey: 633-746 (88.6 - 104.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rocks

Houndoom @ Houndoominite
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Fire Blast
- Dark Pulse
- Nasty Plot
- Protect

Salamence @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 248 HP / 236 SpA / 24 Spe
Impish Nature
- Dragon Tail
- Roost
- Defog
- Flamethrower

Salamence @ Life Orb
Ability: Moxie
EVs: 88 Atk / 168 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Outrage
- Draco Meteor
- Fire Blast
- Earthquake

Props if you get title reference :D

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)