Metagame np: Stage 7 - Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Natural Talent

Don't die trying to live..
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Sneasel : Ban Broken as shit mon. nice speed access to Sd, Knock off, eviolite and even nice coverage moves i.e low kick. Has little switch ins. Force u to run practically unviable mons / sets to check it. How fun is it to hit ur opponent with a base 100 stab attack that takes away their ability to use there item. Just it's overwhelming stabs and nice speed is enough to set it apart from the rest of the tier. It's pretty much a stronger and faster liepardwith ice stabs and access to low kick. My time during reqs it has proven to be very overwhelming for the tier.

Gallade : This one i'm not too sure about yet but i'm leaning towards ban due too it just being super versatile. it has an amazing amount of sets to choose from, such as ; SD Life / Lum, Choice Band, Choice scarf and multiple variants of bulk up sets i have been seeing.

Choice Band sets use raw power to break down teams.
While SD sets prey on slower teams.
Choice scarfed can clean up late game when everything is weakened.
BUlk up sets, like any other set up sweeper sets up and wins. Basically serving as the win con.

i think this is strong and can lead to some problems for the tier so as of now i'm going with Ban

Sneasel : Ban Broken as shit mon. Has little switch ins. Force u to run practically unviable mons / sets to check it.
I keep seeing this argument, and its getting a bit old. I posted a lot of this information earlier, but I'm going to go into a bit more detail about it. For the most part, I'm not trying to single you out here because that argument has been consistently brought up.

I am genuinely curious about one part of your post that I will ask about a bit later.

A viability ranks: Mega Audino, Mawile, Carracosta, Gurdurr, Quagsire, Regirock
B viability ranks: Barbaracle, Ferroseed, Granbull, Hariyama, Pawniard, Poliwrath

That's 12 mons that can check or counter Sneasel defensively, and none of them are unviable. Low Kick usage on Sneasel is at about 20% unweighted and drops to 12% as you climb ladder, so its unlikely to be carrying it. Besides, most of these are not invalidated if Sneasel does have it. Even a couple of the ones with Fighting weaknesses are able to shrug it off. Regirock does it too if you invest in defense but lel

252 Atk Choice Band Sneasel Low Kick (80 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Solid Rock Carracosta: 93-111 (26.4 - 31.5%) -- 16.8% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Choice Band Sneasel Low Kick (40 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Ferroseed: 56-66 (19.1 - 22.6%) -- possible 5HKO

Basically, Low Kick is hardly ever worth clicking, with the STAB attacks doing more damage even to some of the Pokemon it hits SE or the benefit provided by Knock Off outweighing a bit of extra damage.

Now for the thing i was wondering about: Why would someone have to run unviable sets to beat Sneasel? All of the counters/checks above have standard moves that threaten it, and in general terms you aren't going to need to look for weird coverage options to do damage to an Ice type with 55/55/75 defenses. I'd be interested to know what you meant by this.

There are a handful of respectable arguments that have been brought up against Sneasel in this thread, but saying that defensive/balance teams lack switch-ins and/or are forced to run low tier Pokemon to handle it is a huge exaggeration that really should not keep popping up. I think this discussion would be a lot more productive if we could all move past that misconception.

Last edited:

sniperr

Pineapples don't belong on pizza
after getting reqs, as usual ill just post a quick thought on my ladder experience and how I feel about both suspects: The sneasel gallade combo is insanely op which I've seen mentioned about many times. individually I'd say sneasel with or, with out gallade is still pretty op. you literally spam knock off with little consequences. sneasels late game and revenge capabilities are extremely good. its basically getting a kill each time is comes in. if you dont have a counter. do I think its broken? Yes, it has all the tools needed to destroy teams with a solid core built around it. As for glallade, I'm iffy because he has many more answers for him, especially offensively because he is so slow. i feel he is a huge threat that should always be accounted for. I have mostly seems scarf and cb sets. so I didn't struggle too much, but one thing I know for sure is that sneasel is the bigger problem.

ryan

Jojo Siwa enthusiast
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I agree that there are a decent number of checks and counters to Sneasel, but they aren't foolproof. There are problems with all those checks. The biggest one is that they are all absurdly weak to Spikes, especially if they switch into a Knock Off and lose their item. For example, if Mawile comes in on a Knock Off with Stealth Rock and one Spike up, it's taking roughly 18% from the Knock Off, 12% from the Spike, and 6% from Stealth Rock, adding up to roughly 36% and leaving it at 64% without any method of recovery and much less able to check anything else throughout the rest of the battle because it can only switch into Sneasel one more time. The same issue happens with Granbull, only it takes more from Stealth Rock and Icicle Crash. Forget about Ferroseed and Gurdurr which rely heavily on their Eviolite to check anything else. Quagsire is also a rough check because it gets 3HKO'd by Icicle Crash, which means that if it gets flinched, it outright loses, and it can't OHKO Sneasel in return anyways so there is nearly no risk to go for the flinch. Aside from Quagsire, the only other common answer to Sneasel that has reliable recovery is Mega Audino, which is a tremendous momentum sap.

Also, all of these checks and counters don't stop Sneasel from killing things. Choice Band Pursuit takes care of most of the Ghost- and Psychic-types in the tier, and it even does heavy damage to a large number of other Pokemon. For example, if you get Sneasel in on a Lanturn and the opponent has a perfectly good response to Sneasel, they'll usually hard switch to it and in doing so can be Pursuited for about 50%, basically making it impossible for Lanturn to switch into anything else for the rest of the battle. A lot of people are heavily underselling just how nasty Sneasel is because they see how easy it is to toss Mawile or Regirock on a team. Just because you can pack an answer doesn't mean Sneasel isn't still going to ravage your team.

e: I just scrolled up and read some other posts. We're not retesting Typhlosion right now. We likely will sometime down the line, but we want to reach a stable metagame before we introduce more potentially volatile Pokemon to it.

Natural Talent

Don't die trying to live..
I keep seeing this argument, and its getting a bit old. I posted a lot of this information earlier, but I'm going to go into a bit more detail about it. For the most part, I'm not trying to single you out here because that argument has been consistently brought up.

I am genuinely curious about one part of your post that I will ask about a bit later.

B viability ranks: Barbaracle, Ferroseed, Granbull, Hariyama, Pawniard, Poliwrath

That's 12 mons that can check or counter Sneasel defensively, and none of them are unviable. Low Kick usage on Sneasel is at about 20% unweighted and drops to 12% as you climb ladder, so its unlikely to be carrying it. Besides, most of these are not invalidated if Sneasel does have it. Even a couple of the ones with Fighting weaknesses are able to shrug it off. Regirock does it too if you invest in defense but lel

252 Atk Choice Band Sneasel Low Kick (80 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Solid Rock Carracosta: 93-111 (26.4 - 31.5%) -- 16.8% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Choice Band Sneasel Low Kick (40 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Ferroseed: 56-66 (19.1 - 22.6%) -- possible 5HKO

Now for the thing i was wondering about: Why would someone have to run unviable sets to beat Sneasel? All of the counters/checks above have standard moves that threaten it, and in general terms you aren't going to need to look for weird coverage options to do damage to an Ice type with 55/55/75 defenses. I'd be interested to know what you meant by this.

There are a handful of respectable arguments that have been brought up against Sneasel in this thread, but saying that defensive/balance teams lack switch-ins and/or are forced to run low tier Pokemon to handle it is a huge exaggeration that really should not keep popping up. I think this discussion would be a lot more productive if we could all move past that misconception.
And the problem is with offensive teams having less switch ins. It creates trouble just by knocking off shit and getting hazards to weaken checks. Access to knock off is really what gives it the edge over some mons.

252 Atk Choice Band Sneasel Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Ferroseed: 99-117 (33.9 - 40%) -- guaranteed 3HKO (next time use the correct move in calc)

252 Atk Choice Band Sneasel Icicle Crash vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Ferroseed: 129-153 (44.1 - 52.3%) -- 14.8% chance to 2HKO (after knock off)

Last edited:
And the problem is with offensive teams having less switch ins. It creates trouble just by knocking off shit and getting hazards to weaken checks. Access to knock off is really what gives it the edge over some mons.

252 Atk Choice Band Sneasel Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Ferroseed: 99-117 (33.9 - 40%) -- guaranteed 3HKO (next time use the correct move in calc)

252 Atk Choice Band Sneasel Icicle Crash vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Ferroseed: 129-153 (44.1 - 52.3%) -- 14.8% chance to 2HKO (after knock off)
Yeah, Ferroseed is one of the absolute shakiest checks. The couple of Low Kick calcs are there for people who might think it always does huge damage because SE, since I keep seeing people act like Low Kick is the magical fix to any of the problems Sneasel has breaking balance/stall cores. The point was supposed to be that Low Kick is rarely worth clicking, not that Ferroseed walls Sneasel or something. I'll go back through and edit that part for more clarity.

Having dedicated switch-ins to things isn't exactly the highest priority for HO. Sneasel is most threatening against offense because there are less options for offensive checks than defensive ones, but the way you're talking about it sounds like its coming from a balance standpoint.

Last edited:

Punchshroom

FISHIOUS REND MEGA SHARPEDO
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor

No one is saying that Sneasel checks / responses aren't viable (for the most part). The problem is when your best case scenario against Sneasel is to basically throw your item away (in Audino's case, Mega Evolve early / prematurely) and leave yourself vulnerable to various other attackers you need to check because almost all of them have no form of reliable recovery (aka Sneasel still puts you in a disadvantageous position) as opposed to letting Sneasel KO a majority of your team which it can very easily do, then there may be something a bit too good about this offensive sweeper.

Basically, Low Kick is hardly ever worth clicking, with the STAB attacks doing more damage even to some of the Pokemon it hits SE or the benefit provided by Knock Off outweighing a bit of extra damage.
You are correct, which is why Sneasel hardly ever carries Low Kick. And yet, does it bother you a little when an offensive Pokemon puts in as much work as it does comparative to the rest of the tier with its STABs alone?

Most Sneasel responses aren't unviable, though I suspect someone may have voiced out their opinions when Pokemon such as Avalugg and Miltank started to be brought up.

I've also heard talk about people suggesting setup sweepers, such as Barbaracle, Klinklang, or if you wanna be that dude, Huntail and Gorebyss, to help offense combat Sneasel. There are a few problems with this.
- First, they do absolutely nothing to deter Sneasel from spamming Knock Off, which is the problem move most pro-ban users are complaining about in the first place; heck, they only reinforce Sneasel to use nothing but Knock Off since the risk of not doing so is much greater for it. Sure, making Sneasel's attack patterns more predictable is a decent counterstrategy, however you failed to make Sneasel's consistently best and safest play any weaker, so really you kind of didn't make Sneasel that much easier to handle.
- Second, those Pokemon still cannot switch directly into a CB Knock Off, as they stand a high chance of simply getting 2HKOed on the switch. Even if they do get a clean switch, usually by saccing, aka Sneasel still managed to KO something, they would still prefer to not set up on said Knock Off as it would expose them to revenge kills afterward (the Sneasel player can save their Sneasel by saccing something else, allowing them to revenge your setup sweeper and keep their Sneasel). When you consider Knock Off is Sneasel's main attack of choice, you don't get as many safe opportunities to set up as one would think.
- Third, if the Sneasel player has an appropriate countermeasure to your setup sweeper, you really don't manage to even check Sneasel in the slightest. So Sneasel locks itself into an Ice move / Pursuit and now you can send in your Barbaracle / Klinklang for the punish. But what if your opponent has say, a Poliwrath (very common nowadays), Quagsire, Gurdurr, or some other response along those lines? You won't be able to get the punish by setting up as you'll be promptly stopped, and Sneasel is still free to do whatever it wants and smack your team fast and hard, while your setup sweeper is either left sitting along the sidelines or launch slow, unboosted attacks until their counters go down, meaning you still want an actual Sneasel switch-in in the meantime.

Personally, I feel sneasel should definitely be banned. Its high speed and ridiculous power breaks the metagame. Its very easy to put great pressure on the opponent early on with its strong STABs and pursuit, allowing it to remove mons such as mismagius and xatu with ease and creating holes for the rest of the team to capitalize on. I see little drawbacks to using it other than a stealth rocks weakness, seeing as it can spam knock off and deal a good chunk to almost everything while removing its item at the very least. Not only does sneasel apply the pressure needed to punch holes, it can capitalize on the switches it forces with an SD set, breaking teams apart since all it really needs is its STABs and priority ice shard. Overall, it certainly makes the metagame unhealthy and somewhat centralized to have such a powerful mon in the tier and omnipresent throughout.

Gallade is also a more likely ban, and it would take a lot of convincing for me to believe that it is healthy for the metagame. In terms of wallbreaking, its raw power and good coverage allows it to smash through slower, bulkier teams. The 4th slot has many good uses in SD, as well as many support moves such as WoW. The only thing holding me back is the middling speed, but this does not hold gallade back far enough to not warrant a ban since it can easily come in on slower pokemon and apply ridiculous amounts of pressure. If it really wants to do better against HO, shadow sneak is also usable as a priority with SD sets. Its great SDef is also very useful to allow it to tank hits and hit back very, very hard and break teams with ease.

I got reqs, so I'm gonna post my thoughts

Sneasel is a fast, strong pokemon with high-power, spammable STABs. It doesn't get much in the way of coverage, but it only really needs low kick. If that wasn't enough, it also has a unique move called pursuit, which sometimes forces 50/50s, and other times kos a pokemon, no matter what. The ability to pursuit means that an opposing player can't use a counter to stop sneasel. Speaking of counters, there aren't really that many. Whilst stall can use stuff like mega-audino and quagsire, which really aren't the best counters(flinching is possible), offense doesn't really have that many options for switch-ins. Even with the options that offense has, most of them get worn down very easily over the course of the battle. Sneasel can easily be paired with mons that can take advantage of these weakened pokemon, and sweep. Despite it's lack of versatility, sneasel is good at what it does(pursuit something or wreak havoc) against offense, and since that limits the playstyle, it should be BANNED

Gallade is something that I'm kinda mixed about. It has lots of versatility, with sets like SD, bulk up, choice band and choice scarf,stallbreaker as well as a specially defensive wish set . SD smashes through stall, scarf and band smash through offense, while bulk up helps against balance. It also beats most fighting type checks since it has a good secondary stab to defeat those checks. The thing is, while one set can beat another's counters, you can't run all those sets on the one gallade. And each of those sets do have a few counters each. So, if a non-HO team is to properly check gallade, it needs more than two different gallade checks. This is over-centralising, and so Gallade should probably be BANNED

ryan

Jojo Siwa enthusiast
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
this post is targeted at nobody in particular but remember that when you do go to vote, if you feel unsure about whether or not something should be banned, you should vote not to ban it. in the event that something ends up getting banned and proves to be broken at a later date, we can retest it, so there's no harm in something not getting banned when arguably should have been. always err on the side of no ban if you're unsure.

Wanka

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
UUPL Champion
meh thoughts...

Haha I know pretty much everyone on the suspect who battled me on the suspect ladder wanted to stick a knife through my head because I was using rain but I like to see how lower tiers react to weather and uh yeah nu doesn't react all too nicely...

Sneasel: I'm going to have to go with ban on this one. In the battles I lurked this mon would just rip teams apart with knock off and icicle crash. It's a mon that checks offense in a tier that is in an offensive state. apart from mega dino, balance does not even enjoy switching into sneasel at all. Time and time again I've watched this monster just hole punch and hole punch to find out later in the match that a mon like lilligant or klinklang just brooms up late game. outspeeding the entire tier apart from swellow is just icing on the cake and it just makes the game skilless when you are using this mon because it puts so much pressure on your opponents its not even funny. Its ability to be ohko'd by a cold breeze can and should be used against it, but I think the amount of pressure it puts on this tier just outweighs that aspect a bit too much for me.

Gallade: I'm honestly just unsure about gallade and im most likely going to vote no ban because I want to see how it fairs in a meta game without sneasel. I truly just don't like the metagame with sneasel in it as a whole and I think gallade can fit into the tier better with it gone. It is extremely versatile and can cost you a mon just to scout it, but I honestly don't think it will be as bad if sneasel leaves and I will explain more below. Gallade has good natural special bulk, but I don't think it can find its way in safely all too much and it is forced out easier than I initially thought.

Metagame Trends: I said I was going to explain more and here it is. Every battle I had or watched, if there was a sneasel on it, there was a gallade on it. That combo right there is just a disaster for teambuilding and the idea is well, "How are people going to check my gallade?" Offensively. Then the next step is, "How am I going to check what checks my gallade?" Sneasel. Sneasel just makes gallade so much more harder to deal with because sneasel just eats anything that wants to try and beat gallade, and sneasel still puts a ton of pressure on balance on its own so thats why I think banning sneasel would make gallade less of an issue and not banning gallade because it would make sneasel less of an issue.

I really stink at getting my true thoughts across so sorry if anyone doesn't understand what I'm trying to get at.

So let me just say this is my first time getting trying to ladder for reqs. So that implies I have never done this before, so from reading other post and asking around I guess after you gets reqs you put your thoughts in the thread. So this is what i think!

Gallade- Gallade for me is a BAN! Gallade was way to good when I was ladder. The set I mainly used while laddering was the Sub+Bulk UP with Knock off and Drain punch. Let me say using this set from the start of laddering 9/10 times I started the game I thought, "Gallade can set up on more than half the team (usually) and just win." The only real thing that stopped this set was Quagsire. The only problem with Quag is that it really only stops the setup set. I have seen many pokemon use Life Orb Close Combat with a Positive Nature can 2HKO Quag. But for me I often ran a grass type to counter Quag such as Lilligant making Gallade's job of sweeping so much easier. Finally (In my humble opinion) I believe that Gallade should go because of its ability to run a multitude of sets such as Assault Vest, Setup, and Life Orb kill everything making it an amazing wall breaker,a setup sweeper and making almost everyone try to use two or three pokemon to even stop the thing. This thing was an annoyance in my opinion and needs to leave the tier.

Sneasel- Sneasel for me is a NO BAN! Sneasel I also used on my team for reqs. I ran the Life Orb Four Attacks set. This pokemon is powerful I will not deny but I believe this thing is really checked and stopped in the tier. Checks- scarf Sawk/Primeape, Fletchinder, Lanturn, Tauros. Those are just some that came to the top of my head. Counters- Ferroseed, Mega Audi, Grandbull, Hariyama, Gurdurr, Mawile, Regirock, Weezing, Garbodor, Quagsire. I honestly believe these are all the stops to sneasel and this is about half the tier. I liked how it played there werent many games that I won with Sneasel sweeping I think only 1 or 2 if I recall correctly. In the end I really liked how sneasel played in the tier. For me it is a NO BAN because of how easily it is stopped and how good it plays in the tier

Criticism and constructive comments are welcome

Sneasel- Sneasel for me is a NO BAN! Sneasel I also used on my team for reqs. I ran the Life Orb Four Attacks set. This pokemon is powerful I will not deny but I believe this thing is really checked and stopped in the tier. Checks- scarf Sawk/Primeape, Fletchinder, Lanturn, Tauros. Those are just some that came to the top of my head. Counters- Ferroseed, Mega Audi, Grandbull, Hariyama, Gurdurr, Mawile, Regirock, Weezing, Garbodor, Quagsire. I honestly believe these are all the stops to sneasel and this is about half the tier. I liked how it played there werent many games that I won with Sneasel sweeping I think only 1 or 2 if I recall correctly. In the end I really liked how sneasel played in the tier. For me it is a NO BAN because of how easily it is stopped and how good it plays in the tier

This was what i thought too, but after I kept laddering(and someone pointed it out too), I noticed that the problem with Sneasel is that with the it how easily it can cripple and wear down its counters with stuff by the likes of knock off. Just my opinion, let me know if you disagree.

This was what i thought too, but after I kept laddering(and someone pointed it out too), I noticed that the problem with Sneasel is that with the it how easily it can cripple and wear down its counters with stuff by the likes of knock off. Just my opinion, let me know if you disagree.
But then this applies to every pokemon in the tier that knows the move knock off?

Not all pokemon in the tier have 115 speed amazing stab combination, priority AND knock off though....

But yea Koff is borked.
Base 95 attack, weak to hazards, frail defenses and several type weaknesses. Multiple reliable answers as well as those pokemon being top tier and setup bait for several sweepers such as gorebyss, carracosta, mega-audino, klinklang, barbaracle.
People are really exaggerating how good sneasel is.

Syncrasy

Change the game, don't let the game change you
Idk why people keep saying its "frail and most priority moves can finish off sneasel" is why it isn't justifies for ban. If your playing sneasel
you should have a way to handle sneasel's checks/counters whiten your other 5 mon's and sneasel main job is to be a fast physical attacker/trapper not to take hits.

Last edited:
I surprisingly don't have a problem with Sneasel in how powerful it is. Tbh it is only as intimidating as stuff like Archeops or Tauros in packing a dent every time it comes in. My problem with it is how it makes so many reasonably relevant pokemon 100% unviable. It makes Cryogonal, a very solid NU mon imo basically F tier. It makes any psychic not carrying a Colbur berry essentially useless. Any rotom which is even minutely misplayed will be lost to it. I'm not saying it doesn't have checks and counters, but the fact that it makes certain pokemon 100% unuseable is kind of stupid.

Also whoever is arguing that Skuntank will be less broken when it drops is dumb. Skuntank will likely be as broken or more broken than Sneasel with a powerful pursuit, no SR weakness, Sucker Punch, and Defog. If we are making this big a fuss RN we should auto-ban it or the words of every person in this tier are kind of useless. marilli

After what seems like an eternity, i finally have got reqs and ill post my thoughts on the combo test.

Sneasel: oh man, this thing. While it does have checks/ soft counters the amount of pressure it puts on just about every playstyle. It really doesnt need much coverage when its dual stabs are sooo good and puts pressure on so much and restricts teambuilding a bit too much for my taste. Also, its speed tier is godly in the current meta and speeds just about everything relevant bar swellow, which it smacks with ice shard. All in all, it does have checks, but is too centralizing in the tier which is why i will vote BAN on it.

Gallade: This one i believe is more manage able for the tier. What holds gallade back is its bad speed tier. While it does have access to bulk up/swords dance which gives stall problems, and can run scarf/band quite well, the amount of checks it has in the current meta and the fact that its speed holds it back so mcuh means that i will vote NO BAN on it. I also, like OG_Wanka want to see how it fairs when its best partner, sneasel, has the possibility of being banned. Like hollywood said, if it turns out to be real broken after this test, another test would be in order. While i feel its a top tier mon (A+ or S definitely) and every team should have a way to handle it, i dont feel its broken enough.

I'm fairly new to NU so I'll just talk about what I've experienced so far. Sorry if what I said has been repeated a lot already

Sneasel: Probably the best mon in the tier. It's combanation of great stab, great speed, and ok attack makes this one hell of a thing to switch into. What I think makes Sneasel's knock off special in particular is that aside from audino and quagsire, it's check/counters have no real form of recovery. Something else that really bother me about this mon is the fact that it pretty much forces psychic types in this tier to use Colbur berry. It's a great late game sweeper or just used to punch holes in the opposing team. Aside from it's rock weakness and x4 weakness to some priority moves (bp, mach punch, etc) it still has lot going for it. For theses reasons I'm voting ban.

Gallade: I think people are underestimating it's special bulk. Gallade has a very good chance to beat a +1 lilligant that has switched in once on sr. It has a ridiculously good move pool that allows it to have a bunch of niche moves, shadow sneak, wow, knock off, etc. These moves allow it to run a bulkier set with drain punch or an av set. I think this is what makes Gallade a problem. For those reasons I'll vote ban

zbr

less than 99% acc = never hit
riiiight. I rmb a few days ago i posted about how sneasel is not broken. I take that back.

I ran sample teams throughout my journey while laddering so I ended up using a lot of LO/CB Sneasel. I made an SD Sneasel team to see how it would function and I even tried to run it on it's own to see how well it works and all I have to say is that it is absolutely a beast. It has amazing STABs, amazing speed tiers and it has just the right movepool to work with. Sneasel is one of those mons that you use to either clean up games or pick weakened things off/trap them. Sneasel definitely has a lot of things going for it, allowing it to be one of the most pressurizing mon to face for offence/balance. Being weak to hazards, frail defenses and several type weaknesses may seem like a turn off for Sneasel, however, with the roles that Sneasel generally assumes, there is close to no reason for you to stay in on things it either can't outspeed and break or KO. Generally, that would mean it needs quite an amount of team support but with Sneasel, it does it's job way too well. It has the right speed tier to outspeed things like Archeops and Tauros, has the right STABs in general (one of which has a good chance to flinch) to break common types in the tier such as Psychic, Grass, Ground (less so because a lot of ground types are physically oriented) and with Dark typing being such a great offensive STAB, it really allows it to do it's job well.

Overall, Sneasel is becoming more and more powerful and overwhelming for this tier. Also, have we all realised how stale this tier is becoming?

Punchshroom

FISHIOUS REND MEGA SHARPEDO
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
Also whoever is arguing that Skuntank will be less broken when it drops is dumb. Skuntank will likely be as broken or more broken than Sneasel with a powerful pursuit, no SR weakness, Sucker Punch, and Defog. If we are making this big a fuss RN we should auto-ban it or the words of every person in this tier are kind of useless. marilli
Somehow I feel that this claim is not too justifiable. Skunk was present throughout the entirety of BW NU and no one complained about its Pursuit. This implies that part of Sneasel's problematic qualities would not simply be its access to Pursuit, but how fast its Pursuit is. Most of Sneasel's prey, namely Psychic-types, fast Ghosts, and Cryogonal, are fast enough to fend off a Skuntank attack with moves such as Will-O-Wisp, Lovely Kiss, Reflect, or even Destiny Bond, so Sneasel is a notable step up from Skuntank from executing the whole Pursuit business that invalidates mons.

Edit: Shuckleking87 yes I am being mighty damn serious, because as I've already said that Skuntank, unlike Sneasel, doesn't just swoop in and straight up invalidate those Psychic and Ghost mons because Skunk's lesser Speed gives the Pursuit targets some way to retaliate / contribute before they get taken down, as was the case in BW NU; Skunk's lesser Speed also spawned what is essentially Pursuit + Sucker Punch mindgames, which Sneasel has no need to engage in even if it did have Sucker. Sneasel's Speed also allowed it to Pursuit trap more Pokemon (usually weakened ones) than Skunk did / would.

Before people talk about Liepard doing the same, Sneasel has yet more advantages over Liepard in the form of alternate STAB (targets even more Pokemon and pressures most already Knocked Off counters) as well as a better Speed tier. Sneasel certainly seems like a mon with a buttload of offensive advantages under its belt, especially when coupled with how speedy and strong it already is.

Last edited:

Shuckleking87

"Assault vest makes everything better" AV Seaking, BT
Somehow I feel that this claim is not too justifiable. Skunk was present throughout the entirety of BW NU and no one complained about its Pursuit. This implies that part of Sneasel's problematic qualities would not simply be its access to Pursuit, but how fast its Pursuit is. Most of Sneasel's prey, namely Psychic-types, fast Ghosts, and Cryogonal, are fast enough to fend off a Skuntank attack with moves such as Will-O-Wisp, Lovely Kiss, Reflect, or even Destiny Bond, so Sneasel is a notable step up from Skuntank from executing the whole Pursuit business that invalidates mons.
Are you being serious? No one complained about bw nu pursuit skuntank because you really only used pursuit on gardevoir, haunter and non baton pass musharna. A lot of the moves you mentioned are very situational. Ok, will-o mismaguis, lovely kiss jynx, reflect whatever, dbond haunter. Sure. run lum to stop mismaguis and jynx, defog takes away reflect. dbond haunter is fine i guess as a lure for psychic spam, but haunter doesnt do much to skuntank, and skuntank can taunt and then kill. and these obscure moves dont prevent skuntank from doing its job against the more relevant psychic mons like musharna, pixies and xatu. And even better for skuntank is that its not weak to the normal bug coverage
Not that skunk is in nu anyways, but it would be mighty good if it was

I got my reqs fairly early but I never bothered to post my thoughts till now, so ya

At first I was kind of on the fence on weasel, but after getting reqs + playin some more on the ladder i kinda realized the breaking point about this thing. Dark + Ice coverage is absurdly good with the Steel nerf, considering the only things that resist both STABs that are popular right now are Mawile and Poliwrath, and while there are some other mons that can switch in reliably and take it on like the mons mentioned in Jim. E Russler's post, but the thing is is that they all get worn down fairly quickly if they get their item knocked off and don't really have reliable recovery aside from Wish variants of Audino and Quag, which Kinda Sux when you realize that spikers, especially Garbodor, are ridiculously common right now. Not to mention how well it does versus offense, considering that it outspeeds anything that isn't scarfed, Swellow and Omfugamon Electrode. Yeah it does have its share of flaws but they don't outweigh the positives which is why imma ban it.

Won't comment on Gallade because I don't like rehashing everything

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)