ORAS OU "Even the finest sword plunged into salt water will eventually rust." - Sun Tzu.

Greetings Smogon, and welcome to my RMT! After a few teams where I've struggled with what kind of victory I want, flitting between half stalls and half offensives, I've created what I think is quite a nice balanced team, able to fulfill many roles, take many hits, and deal out more. Hence the title; stallbreakers and sweepers are all well and good, but they need balance to back them up - a good core, good type coverage, good allies, that ensure my sweepers aren't heading head-first into treacherous salt water.

So, let's get straight to the team!

The team at a glance:

I wanted to try out a balanced FWG core, and after looking through the available grass sweepers, I settled on M-Sceptile. To further the core, I added a Specially Defensive/Special attacker Rotom-W (I'll explain the EVs later). This forms the Sp.Def backbone to the team. Heatran rounds off the core, filling in the weaknesses of the others, and along with Sceptile actually provides complete immunity from status effects. I then needed to look at what else I needed in my team: the FWG core is all well and good, but a Dragon/Grass picks up a nasty ice weakness, so I needed something to break that. I also needed another quick mon, and a ground immunity can never hurt. I settled upon Hawlucha, who fulfills all those roles for me, and gives me a nice win-con with it's speed and strong moves. With the addition of the fighting type (along with my dragon type) my teams suffers a bit to fairy types, and poor Heatran would have been working overtime to keep those at bay. Enter: Scizor. Not only boasting a priority move, but access to a set-up move and recovery is nothing to sniff at. This guy is the MVP of my team, able to completely sweep with it's mix of steel and bug, which hit a surprising amount of mons for neutral damage, and not much can stop a +6 adamant Scizor with 349 base attack. Lastly, I needed a nice defensive tank, one that could set some hazards, another ground immunity (it's always nice) and has access to recovery/status effects too. Skarmory filled this role for me, so I tagged him on the end, though I'm not entirely set on him just yet. I needed a good Special Defence wall, that could tank for me, heal, and counter Mega Sableye, as my team hates burns. Enter: Clefable.

The team in more detail:

Sceptile @ Sceptilite
Ability: Overgrow
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest/Timid nature
IVs: 30 HP
- Dragon Pulse
- Giga Drain
- Energy Ball HP Fire
- Earthquake

Alright, so the mon I was so hyped to try out was Mega Sceptile, and after looking at it's stats it's easy to see why: it gets 145 base speed and special attack, placing one at 389 and the other at 427 depending on the nature. Undecided on the nature yet: timid gives me 427 speed, useful for outspeeding base Alakazam, but without it it doesn't have enough power to OHKO latios with dragon pulse, which modest gives me while still outspeeding it. It doesn't have the power to bring down Latias, but with a modest nature it still deals 83% damage, grabbing a very near kill after SR and making it real easy to revenge kill. If it's timid, however, it will outspeed mega Alakazam and 2HKO it, since his psychic fails to net the kill straight off. It's ability is intriguing though, and after transforming steals all the momentum from Volt-switchers, and making it immune to every electric attack including thunder wave - perhaps the best status ailment for crippling a fast poke'mon. Standard moveset, a strong STAB grass and dragon move, giga drain there for some longevity, as it can heal off things even neutrally, and proceed to kill. Lacking a set-up move, it can seem rather underwhelming, but it does still hit relatively hard, and provides a very decent check indeed to Lati@s, Chomp (108%+ on all variants, since Sp.Def chomp is rare, and even if it appears it lacks the damage for the kill) and Dragonite after Multiscale, giving an OHKO after SR damage (essential since a banded outrage kills it almost 3 times over). Earthquake is just a coverage move really, since the movepool is sadly quite poor. HP Fire is there to get the jump on mons that might be lured into a Sceptile.

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 136 SpA / 120 SpD 252 HP / 218 Def / 44 Spe
Calm Bold Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split

Rotom is one of my favourite mons to spring up in this meta because of it's amazing stats; a spread of 107 base defences plus 105 base sp.atk is nothing to sniff at, backed up by a respectable 304 HP, all the more so off a base of only 50. With an uninvested SpA or Sp.Def stat it still reaches quite high numbers, giving 304/344/250 with 247 SpA. It still has enough damage to hurt Keldeo, Gyarados and Azumarill as well as Garchomp (I WoW'd, pain split and hydro'd a mega Chomp - he had no chance after I tanked his SD'd Dragon Claw). I'm real wary to use moves that have an accuracy drop, but H-pump is it's only water move available save HP water (Please Nintendo, let it learn scald), and it hits pretty hard really, so the accuracy drop is manageable at least. WoW for some control and for shutting down physical sweepers that don't carry a lum, and pain split for very strange and situational healing alongside lefties. EVs are for maximum bulk while outspeeding max speed Azumaril and volt-switching to someone else to bring the pain.

Heatran @ Air Balloon
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe / 4 HP
Timid Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Lava Plume
- Earth Power
- Ancient Power

To round off the core, I have my fire type. There's not much to choose from in OU, and I didn't want to use the fire birds in another team (I like variety to some degree) so they were out of the question. I toyed with Arcanine (dem base stats) but I liked the steel control that Heatran brought, plus the fact that I can fake the set due to it's versatility. Stealth rock is there incase I get the chance to use it, namely against teams with D-nite to pop the mulitscale, giving Scpetile an easy OHKO (92% after M-scale). Lava plume for reliable STAB; invested, his special attack hits at 396, so I can hit really hard. Ancient power for a second answer to T-flame, a check to Mega Char-Y and some neutral damage on Lati@s which I completely wall, especially with the new changes to the EV spread, where earth power gives me a good answer to Char-X and enemy heatrans.

Hawlucha @ Power Herb
Ability: Mold Breaker Unburden
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Drain Punch
- Aerial Ace Acrobatics
- Thunder Punch Sky Attack
- Rock Slide Swords Dance/High Jump Kick

Next up is Hawlucha. As said above, I needed someone who could smash through ice types, reliably killing Weavile after an ice shard, and draining the damage back off with D-punch, and making short work of Mamoswine too, though I'll have to consider running HJK to get the OHKO on Mamo - 92% Drain punch won't cut it. It also goes through things like Mega Bunny, who can't kill me with Ice Punch/Return + Fake Out, while Hawl heals it all off. The combination of Power herb, Sky attack and unburden gives me a total of 736 speed with a one turn attack of 140 power, as well as making acrobatics jump up to 110 base, making short work of anything that tries to threaten me. The last slot is reserved for either SD or HJK, and I can't decide between either.

Scizor @ Leftovers
Ability: Technician
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD 248 HP / 176 SpD / 84 Att
Adamant Nature/Impish nature
- Swords Dance
- Knock Off
- Bullet Punch
- Roost

The hero of the team. I can't even count the amount of times this thing has saved my life. If the enemy allows it to reach +6 they deserve to get face rolled by it. It OHKOd a defensive Empoloen with a resisted Bug bite. It's seriously incredible, and possessing both a set-up move and recovery allows it to safely create some room for itself. The technician ability boosts B-Punch to 60, making it very strong after boosting. EV spread to maximise it's bulk, allowing it to take a few hits to ensure it can keep going. It's just the unexpected damage that I love from this guy: an unboosted B-punch deals 71% damage to a Mega Gardevoir - with an SD or crit it's an easy OHKO, crippling and shutting down a team's mega. Scizor is far and away the go-to poke'mon to sweep, placing it just behind M-Sceptile in terms of preserving it, making sure I tick off those fire-type counters before bringing it out.

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 172 Def / 84 SpD
Calm Nature
- Calm Mind
- Moonblast
- Soft-Boiled
- Flamethrower

Clefable (as suggested by Mega Slutbunny) rounds off the team really nicely with a mixed defensive set, using calm mind to boost it's special defense and having a nicely invested defense stat to work off, allowing it to set-up and heal without support. She has a surprising amount of bulk, and can tank a lot of threats. It's also a great answer to Mega Sableye (as it's weak to fairy) and anyone who tries to hit her with status effects thanks to magic guard. It's can even 2HKO Scizor if on the switch, as bullet punch deals 52% while Flamethrower deals 61% unboosted. Soft boiled is there for reliably recovery after setting up, and moonblast gives me a really strong STAB that can decimate dark, fighting and dragons, working alongside my Mega Sceptile to take out the big dragon threats.

THANKS TO

Yoda2798
Charilax Blastler
Mega Slutbunny

Conclusion

So there's the team! In my opinion a nice balanced team (if we get the defensive tank nailed). Apologies to spelling mistakes, it's late and the screen is full of red squiggly lines. I haven't complied a threat list because I haven't tested it enough for regular threats to appear, though it looks like I'll have a hard time with T-flame/Mega Char-X and Mega Metagross since I don't have access to ghost or dark.

Happy reading!

Sceptile @ Sceptilite
Ability: Overgrow
Hasty Nature
- Dragon Pulse
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Earthquake

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 218 SpA / 44 Spe
Serious Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split

Heatran @ Air Balloon
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Ancient Power
- Magma Storm
- Earth Power

Hawlucha @ Power Herb
Ability: Unburden
Jolly Nature
- Sky Attack
- Drain Punch
- Swords Dance
- Acrobatics

Scizor @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 84 Atk / 176 SpD
Impish Nature
- Swords Dance
- Knock Off
- Bullet Punch
- Roost

Clefable @ Leftovers
Calm Nature
- Calm Mind
- Soft-Boiled
- Flamethrower
- Moonblast

Last edited:

Yoda2798

Not the user you are looking for
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
Doubles Leader
Hi there and welcome to Smogon! Very nice team you have here, built around a solid FWG core.

Mega Sceptile does not need to run Giga Drain and Energy Ball as they are both basically the same. HP Fire should be ran over one of these (I would say Giga Drain, but it's your choice) to help with Ferrothorn. Sceptile should run Timid here to outspeed Mega Lop and Manectric, as it is the only thing that is immune to Volt Switch on your team, and that outspeeds these threats.

Rotom-W much prefers to run a fully physically defensive set (252 HP 252 Defence 4 Special Defence Bold) as it helps it to better check the physical threats of the meta such as Mega Metagross and Mega Lopunny. This helps it to better form a defensive core with Heatran and better check Keldeo due to Secret Sword (its most powerful attack) being weakened. Rotom's naturally high Special Attack also means it does not need investment to do respectable damage and threaten opponents weak to Volt-Switch.

Heatran should run a more Specially Defensive (248 HP 192 Special Defence 68 Speed Calm) to better help your team check Special threats such as Latios. This spread also outspeeds most Mega Venusaurs (they don't run max speed so idk what you were referring to?). Combined with Leftovers, it also helps it reliably check Fire types such as Mega Charizard-Y which greatly threaten the team. Flash Cannon can be swapped out for Stealth Rocks, as Heatran is a reliable setter, while Flash Cannon mostly only hits Fairys, which are walled by Heatran anyways (Earth Power hits Terrakion, Tyrantrum and Tyranitar, while Mega Aero can be beat by Rotom or Scizor). I believe Magma Storm is better than Lava Plume here, as combined with Taunt it can shut down walls such as Chansey so that Sceptile can sweep.

Hawlucha does seem a bit of an unorthodox here. I'm not sure what Mold Breaker helps against, so maybe Limber would be better. The Unburden Acrobatics set - see Smogondex for details - might be a better choice as well, since it can give an extra win condition (not so completely sure about this change, though). High Jump Kick over Drain Punch on this set would be better, as it gives far more power to weaken mons for Scizor and Sceptile. As an extra note, Hawluch could possibly be swapped out for something else such as Weavile (for priority and utility) or Torn-T (for the usual shenanigans), but idk. It can check Mega Lop, but only once from the sounds of it (where they could switch out).

SD Scizor is nice, but have out tried out LO offensive SD? LO means Scizor hits a good deal harder, even without a boost. Superpower over Roost also helps it hit Steel types such as Ferro, Tran and Skarm much harder than before.

As good as Skarm is at walling things here, I believe Mandibuzz is a better fit for the team. Despite being weak to rocks, it can better check threats such as Mega Meta and Char-X with its powerful STAB Foul Play. It also still has sturdy defences while not being weak to either of Talonflames STABs. Mandibuzz can also bring Toxic or Knock Off utility, which can be useful for whittling down foes.

Hi n_n,Nice RMT :),u looks new to smogon(or maybe not):p

Now i have a few suggestions for your team

• Using Energy ball on Megatile isn't a good idea use HP fire or Substitute over it :3.
  • Use 252 HP / 252 Def on Rotom-w, why? ,Because its role is bird spam counter so it has to counter Talonflame and Mega Pinsir so more defense allows it to counter bird spam better ^_^.
  • Your Team looks weak to Zard Y ,the only thing u can do for this is change your Heatran's evs to 248 HP / 192 SpD / 68 Spe ,What about the nature?,Calm of course or try Latios / Latias they can defog so u can remove defog from Skarm :).
  • Now Hawlucha,Go for Power herb Hawlucha,with Sky attack,acrobatics,hjk and SD or sub,acro,hjk, SD :3,So unburdened will be activated and your speed will be double. :)
  • U need to change your Scizor's evs to counter and check mega metagross,mega loppuny and check mega alt with evs : 248 HP / 176 SpD / 84 Atk Impish Nature with move set bullet punch,Kno ck off / Superpower / SD / Roost. ;)
  • You still looks weak to Zard X :(,So what about trying lando-t!!!! Over Skarmory??? :D ,it can set up rocks 2.
And here are the Sets. :)
Scizor @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 84 Atk / 176 SpD
Impish Nature
- Swords Dance
- Superpower / Knock off
- Bullet Punch
- Roost

Hawlucha @ Power Herb
Adamant Nature / Jolly Nature
- Sky Attack
- Acrobatics
- High Jump Kick
- Swords Dance

Or

Hawlucha @ Sitrus Berry
Adamant Nature / Jolly Nature
- substitute
- Acrobatics
- High Jump Kick
- Swords Dance

Latias @ Life Orb
EVs: 72 HP / 184 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Defog
- Roost

Cashier (Latios) @ Life Orb
Hasty Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Defog
- Recover

Albacore (Landorus-Therian) @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 8 Atk / 240 Def / 8 Spe
Impish Nature
- U-turn
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Knock Off

P.S. Good luck Have Fun :D

Thanks both! Some of your suggestions overlapped so I'll definitely try the most prominent ones out:

• Will change E-ball to HP Fire on Scept, preferring to keep Drain for some healing. Running Timid fails to OHKO Latios, running Modest fails to outrun M-lop/Metric. What do? :(
  • Will trial Rotom-W defensive. Also, Keldeo uses sacred sword, not secret sword which is special, so I gain nothing there except some extra HP to my first set. Also, the power does fall off if I lose some investment here to Sp.Atk. Should I be treating Rotom as a tank rather than a damage dealer? :p
  • Changing Heatran to a Sp.Def tank is also interesting. I'd be tempted to run something like: Ancient power (for Lati@s/Char), M-storm, Stealth rock, taunt. I still get fire STAB without the drawbacks of taking damage from R-helmet, so that's cool too. Between this and Rotom I can tank a pretty big portion of the meta-game :P. You'd also go Lefies > Balloon? That means a Char-X can EQ me to hell.
  • I know Hawlucha is unorthodox, that's why I like him so much :P I'd like to run a set that uses acrobatics, I can use it to get the jump on things like Lati@s and make it an easy revenge. So, power-herb unburden sky attack? That sounds devilish. I'd like to run HJK, really, but the accuracy drop of that, coupled with H-pump and M-storm makes me wary, plus the recoil chance. D-punch still nets me KOs, is safer, more accuracte and heals me.
  • The thing is Ferrothorn doesn't resist bug, so a bug bite actually does surprisingly well against him. I've ran Scizor's with S-power before (honestly, I forgot to use a LO because my brain farted) and it's cool but it's real fragile, unless I change the EVs which REQUIRES a boost to be useful. Keeping roost gives me longevity, a reliable Ferro counter, and I have back-up fire users for Skarm and my own tran/rotom/Hawl for an enemy tran.
  • I agree about Skarmory; i was just looking for someone who could do everything for me. I'm happy to sub him out, but if I have a proper defensive tank, a special defensive tank and a bulky attacker, I think that frees me up to use more of a sweeper or another bulky EV mon (all in the name of balance). Depending on what my biggest counter is, I now have flexibility in what to be able to bring in. Fire seems to be a big dampener on this team, as does dragon once Tran dies. Lando-t is interesting, but I'm unsure how that helps against Char-X? Perhaps a sweeper that uses dark to give me knock off control - Weaville/Bish/offensive Mandibuzz/maybe Tyranitar for bulk? I'm loathe to use anything else too weak to fire, as that increases the chance of an enemy Char destroying me.
Again, thanks for your rates. Hopefully my thought process is quite clear above! :)

Thanks both! Some of your suggestions overlapped so I'll definitely try the most prominent ones out:

• Will change E-ball to HP Fire on Scept, preferring to keep Drain for some healing. Running Timid fails to OHKO Latios, running Modest fails to outrun M-lop/Metric. What do? :(
  • Will trial Rotom-W defensive. Also, Keldeo uses sacred sword, not secret sword which is special, so I gain nothing there except some extra HP to my first set. Also, the power does fall off if I lose some investment here to Sp.Atk. Should I be treating Rotom as a tank rather than a damage dealer? :p
  • Changing Heatran to a Sp.Def tank is also interesting. I'd be tempted to run something like: Ancient power (for Lati@s/Char), M-storm, Stealth rock, taunt. I still get fire STAB without the drawbacks of taking damage from R-helmet, so that's cool too. Between this and Rotom I can tank a pretty big portion of the meta-game :P. You'd also go Lefies > Balloon? That means a Char-X can EQ me to hell.
  • I know Hawlucha is unorthodox, that's why I like him so much :P I'd like to run a set that uses acrobatics, I can use it to get the jump on things like Lati@s and make it an easy revenge. So, power-herb unburden sky attack? That sounds devilish. I'd like to run HJK, really, but the accuracy drop of that, coupled with H-pump and M-storm makes me wary, plus the recoil chance. D-punch still nets me KOs, is safer, more accuracte and heals me.
  • The thing is Ferrothorn doesn't resist bug, so a bug bite actually does surprisingly well against him. I've ran Scizor's with S-power before (honestly, I forgot to use a LO because my brain farted) and it's cool but it's real fragile, unless I change the EVs which REQUIRES a boost to be useful. Keeping roost gives me longevity, a reliable Ferro counter, and I have back-up fire users for Skarm and my own tran/rotom/Hawl for an enemy tran.
  • I agree about Skarmory; i was just looking for someone who could do everything for me. I'm happy to sub him out, but if I have a proper defensive tank, a special defensive tank and a bulky attacker, I think that frees me up to use more of a sweeper or another bulky EV mon (all in the name of balance). Depending on what my biggest counter is, I now have flexibility in what to be able to bring in. Fire seems to be a big dampener on this team, as does dragon once Tran dies. Lando-t is interesting, but I'm unsure how that helps against Char-X? Perhaps a sweeper that uses dark to give me knock off control - Weaville/Bish/offensive Mandibuzz/maybe Tyranitar for bulk? I'm loathe to use anything else too weak to fire, as that increases the chance of an enemy Char destroying me.
Again, thanks for your rates. Hopefully my thought process is quite clear above! :)
Hi again I gonna answer your questions :)

• I like Timid Scept more,but Modest is also viable u can test running both and if j have problem with Latios what about substitute over HP fire? :x.
  • First of all Keldeo learns Secret Sword its just like Psyshock its a special move which hits pokemon according to their defense Stats :),Rotom-W is Your bird spam counter u don't really need SpD ,its main role is to counter talonflame and Mega Pinsir :)
  • For your Heatran lefties is better because u surely gonna add something for Zard X :].
  • The Power herb Set of Hawlucha is my Favourite Set ,so u can try that its great actually :p.
  • Scizor isnt fragile,its bulky and it don't needs LO the band set is better but the set I suggested counters the S ranked ORAS megas +Mega lop + Mega Gardevoir ,it makes your team Fairy proof :p.
  • You Can try Mandibuzz if u wants to actually its good but your question is how lando-t counters Zard X? So the answer is that,Its ability decreases Mega zard X's atk so if zard X is using did and u switched ,only its speed is boosted and u can OHKO using Eq so the opponent don't gonna risk his / her Zard X :3.
P.S. Give us feedbacks after u tries the changes suggested by us :]…

Well to be honest if I'm running a sp. def Heatran and a knock off lando I don't need Sceptile for Latios, so I can run timid to make me get the jump on speedier opponents.

I'm unsur about the Scizor changes. I guess making it bulkier would be cool, but I lose a lot of damage in the process until I start boosting. Still, it's intriguing.

Thanks for clearing that up about Lando! It fits my team pretty well, giving me speed, knock off for lati@s, mega gross and u turn for darks/psychics. The only thing is is with my lando and m screptile I have a x8 weakness to ice, which sucks. Does that mean I should change heatrans magma storm back to lava plume to keep on top of those ice types? I mean, ice isn't too common but things like mega manectric with HP ice can wreck both my sceptile and my lando :/

Still, I think lando can work on this team :)

When I test it I'll get back to you guys!]

EDIT: It works OK, it seems to fall off against ice poke'mon, namely strong Connkeldurr's who can ice punch my team or drain punch the rest. A clucth sky attack is needed but if I miss I lose. I missed two sky attacks and lost both games. So, perhaps a sky gem/acrobatics might be better, giving me more reliability.

I got to nearly 1200 ELO, which isn't bad considering I made this team last night, and I'm still only about 5 months into competetive battling AND I play real casually, like a game every 2 weeks or so (but I'm hoping to play a bit more frequently).

But the team works OK really, my M-Scept almost OHKO'd a bulky Latias after SR damage, which is cool. It has a lot of power and versatility, but not much in the way of recovery it seems. If you have the time perhaps you can trail it, or keep posting suggestions on how it should be improved.

Last edited:
Ok, so after playing a bit more, I realised a few things:

• I'm far too weak to ice. While this is an uncommon type, it's really destroyed me a few times where a good ice beam can OHKO 3 of my team. Not good. I think the x4 for Sceptile is bad enough.
  • Building off that, Hawlucha wasn't doing much for me, and was still losing to Conkeldurr, who could reliably kill it. Still not good.
  • Landorus wasn't performing on this team at all really, and was falling prey to Mega Sableye who could gimp on my team since I had no fairy. Because of this I'm considering:
Changing Heatran back to a sweeper, or hp/spatk build, and giving it an LO and Earth power to hit Char-X and replace the ground lost from Lando. This gives me higher fire damage, something I was really missing while not weakening my team any.

Changing Hawlucha to a different fighting mon, still to take out those ice types that threaten Sceptile, but also to provide some good back-up damage. What I was thinking was a base Medicham, allowing me to still hit Conkeldurr with psychic attacks, nulling the ice weakness and giving me a mon with 438 attack for wallbreaking. Other contenders are Lucario and Gallade, though Lucario learns bullet punch and swords dance too, and I don't want to be rid of my Scizor, and having Lucario gives me a nasty fighting weakness with my Heatran.

Freeing up my last slot, I can add either a sp defensive fairy tank like Sylveon or Clefable or run a bulky Togekiss set to take care of dragons alongside my Rotom and to take out that annoying M-Sable.

TL,DR;

• Change Heatran back to either 252 Spe/252 SpA or 252 HP/ 252 SpA.
  • Change Hawlucha to either Medicham or Gallade, or another Conkeldurr to limit ice weakness and give me a win-con. If I changed to base Lucario I could change Scizor too, perhaps into something that can really counter M-Metagross (though a lava plume from a Timid Heatran deals 80-94%)
  • Take out Landorus and add in a Sp.Def Fairy tank to deal with dragons better and M-Sableye.
I honestly think these changes are what it needs right now, as I'm falling prey to bulkier dragons, ice types and M-Sable. Thoughts? Could really use some help with this guys, I think this is the final-ish change :) As always, thanks for your help so far!

Ok, so after playing a bit more, I realised a few things:

• I'm far too weak to ice. While this is an uncommon type, it's really destroyed me a few times where a good ice beam can OHKO 3 of my team. Not good. I think the x4 for Sceptile is bad enough.
  • Building off that, Hawlucha wasn't doing much for me, and was still losing to Conkeldurr, who could reliably kill it. Still not good.
  • Landorus wasn't performing on this team at all really, and was falling prey to Mega Sableye who could gimp on my team since I had no fairy. Because of this I'm considering:
Changing Heatran back to a sweeper, or hp/spatk build, and giving it an LO and Earth power to hit Char-X and replace the ground lost from Lando. This gives me higher fire damage, something I was really missing while not weakening my team any.

Changing Hawlucha to a different fighting mon, still to take out those ice types that threaten Sceptile, but also to provide some good back-up damage. What I was thinking was a base Medicham, allowing me to still hit Conkeldurr with psychic attacks, nulling the ice weakness and giving me a mon with 438 attack for wallbreaking. Other contenders are Lucario and Gallade, though Lucario learns bullet punch and swords dance too, and I don't want to be rid of my Scizor, and having Lucario gives me a nasty fighting weakness with my Heatran.

Freeing up my last slot, I can add either a sp defensive fairy tank like Sylveon or Clefable or run a bulky Togekiss set to take care of dragons alongside my Rotom and to take out that annoying M-Sable.

TL,DR;

• Change Heatran back to either 252 Spe/252 SpA or 252 HP/ 252 SpA.
  • Change Hawlucha to either Medicham or Gallade, or another Conkeldurr to limit ice weakness and give me a win-con. If I changed to base Lucario I could change Scizor too, perhaps into something that can really counter M-Metagross (though a lava plume from a Timid Heatran deals 80-94%)
  • Take out Landorus and add in a Sp.Def Fairy tank to deal with dragons better and M-Sableye.
I honestly think these changes are what it needs right now, as I'm falling prey to bulkier dragons, ice types and M-Sable. Thoughts? Could really use some help with this guys, I think this is the final-ish change :) As always, thanks for your help so far!
Uh it looks like u r nit weak to ice types for ex - weavile,kyurem-b etc.

252 Atk Life Orb Weavile Low Kick (100 BP) vs. 248 HP / 0+ Def Scizor: 122-144 (35.5 - 41.9%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
And u r not weak to dragon because sciz or counters them
Second point,use Hawlucha in late game also dont use drain punch on my set the set was sky atk, hjk, SD and acro ,sky attack ohko's conk also conk isn't common at all.
The bulky Heatran variant can switch out on mega sab's w-o-w and can fuck it , try magma storm on heatran imo. Mega scept also hits it hard

0 SpA Heatran Magma Storm vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Mega Sableye: 120-142 (39.4 - 46.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

252 SpA Mega Sceptile Dragon Pulse vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Mega Sableye: 135-159 (44.4 - 52.3%) -- 14.8% chance to 2HKO
Offensive tran is also quite good against mega sab

252 SpA Heatran Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Mega Sableye: 160-189 (52.6 - 62.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

But if u thinks that u r quite weak to it , u can try Clefable over Lando-t but u will be zard X weak then :v.

You can try Latios over tran

252 SpA Life Orb Latios Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Mega Sableye: 246-290 (80.9 - 95.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

So probably u can try this thing , shadow ball 2hko's latios , your pokemon is faster so it will ko first :3.

If u have any problem pm me I will surely help n_n.

Last edited:
Hello there! Wonderful team you have, Mega Sceptile is a really cool pokemon to build a team around!

However, there are a few changes that I'd like to recommend. Firstly, I think it would be more beneficial if you changed Rotom-W's EV spread to 248 HP / 218 Def / 44 Spe. This allows Rotom-W to speed creep max speed Azumarill

479-wash.gif
Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA 248 HP / 218 Def / 44 Spe
Bold Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split

Now, regarding the changes you brought up

While you mentioned that Hawlucha's main role was to deal with Ice types, Scizor seems to be able to deal with them relatively well, resisting the type while also having a strong priority move to nail them with. Instead, I would recommend running Talonflame over Hawlucha. This lets you beat Conkeldurr which you had issues with, as well as provide you with a strong fire move, which you lacked with Heatran gaining a defensive role

663.gif
Talonflame @ Sharp Beak
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 120 HP/ 252 Atk / 136 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- Flare Blitz
- Swords Dance
- Roost

Finally, I feel as though Magic Guard Clefable would be the best choice for your last slot, purely because of how amazing she is at breaking stall

036.gif
Clefable @ Leftovers
Calm Nature
- Calm Mind
- Moonblast
- Soft-Boiled
- Flamethrower

Overall, this looks like a great team, and I wish you luck with laddering!

MSceptile_ORAS.gif
479-wash.gif
485.gif
212.gif
036.gif
663.gif

Hey there! Thanks for your comments! :) Yeah, having loads of fun with M-Sceptile! I love that between him and Heatran I'm immune to every status effect :D

I think I agree with Magic guard Clef - being a tanky fairy helps me deal with M-Sable better. Would you go defensive or specially defensive though? With Scizor being my only "sp.def bulk" mon, I need one that could help on that side. And you'd go magic guard over unaware? Unaware stops D-Dance Char-x/Dnite and to an extent BD Azumarril, but I guess I have counters to those.

T-flame is a nice addition, of course, this is OU - what team doesn't benefit from it? But, with Heatran going 252 HP / 252 SpA and gaining 394 special attack, his fire moves aren't so weak, and nor is a boosted Clef's flamethrower, and I get to keep flying and fighting moves then. I see what you mean, but I'd prefer to keep Hawlucha, as it's great fun to use and really unpredictable, and a Sky attack (when it hits) will OHKO it.

So I'll definitely try Clefable, would it be used for the switch-in-and-take-a-hit role? And being able to deal with annoying dragons/darks. Also, one last thing, for an offensive Heatran, would you go spe/spA or HP/SpA? Heatran isn't outrunning anything :P

So with an offensive Heatran I'd get a dedicated defensive tank (Rotom), 2 sweepers, (Scept/Hawlucha) a bulky special attacker (Heatran) , a bulky physical attacker (Scizor) and a bulky, MAYBE specially defensive tank (Clefable). That looks rather balanced to me :)

Overall, this looks like a great team, and I wish you luck with laddering!
Again, thank you! Hopefully this is the team that will let me get some good experience playing the game, and one I won't get annoyed at/bored of.

EDIT: one final thing: how do you make those funky yellow boxes that people can open? Like the Clefable set for instance

Last edited:
Would you go defensive or specially defensive though?
I would actually recommend running mixed Clefable, instead of fully investing in either defences, purely because of the sheer amount of 2HKOs it is able to avoid from common threats

252 Atk Mega Lopunny Return vs. 252 HP / 172+ Def Clefable: 165-195 (41.8 - 49.4%)
252+ Atk Mold Breaker Mega Gyarados Waterfall vs. 252 HP / 172+ Def Clefable: 157-186 (39.8 - 47.2%)
252 SpA Life Orb Latios Psyshock vs. 252 HP / 172+ Def Clefable: 164-192 (41.6 - 48.7%)
252 SpA Mega Diancie Moonblast vs. 252 HP / 84 SpD Clefable: 181-214 (45.9 - 54.3%) -- 5.9% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Life Orb Thundurus Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 84 SpD Clefable: 187-220 (47.4 - 55.8%) -- 21.5% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

And you'd go magic guard over unaware?
I chose magic guard purely because it helps Clefable reach those defensive benchmarks without needing support. If you believe Unaware would benefit you better, then you can choose to instead run Unaware.

Also, one last thing, for an offensive Heatran, would you go spe/spA or HP/SpA?
This one, I believe is dependant on what moveset you carry on Heatran. Max speed allows you to creep Bulky X-Char and adamant Exca, but if you're running a more supportive slot, then you would probably want a more defensive spread.

how do you make those funky yellow boxes that people can open?
[hide]Insert hidden whatever here[/hide]

There's a more comprehensive list on what you can use here

I would actually recommend running mixed Clefable
Interesting. So you'd use the calm mind to set her up as a sp.def tank. No, Magic guard is fine because it's another status absorber and let's it survive a little longer. I'm probably gonna run Speed and Special attack for the jump on adamant E-drill (which I ohko with lava plume :D)

Ah, thank you, I can leave the import code among other things!

I'll definitely trial the team with Clefable then, thank you for your input! :)

Hey! Thanks for your suggestions.

Firstly, Ancient power actually deals more damage and is 100% accurate:

252 SpA Heatran Ancient Power vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Talonflame: 356-420 (119.8 - 141.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO
0- Atk Heatran Stone Edge vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Talonflame: 316-372 (106.3 - 125.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO

If I wasn't SpAtk invested I'd go stone edge, but I think Ancient Power is better for this set.

As for Clefable, Unaware can't be run with calm mind, and I love the thought of a second set-up sweeper/win-con.

Sorry to shoot all your ideas down, chap! :(

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)