Porygon2

p2

Banned deucer.

QC 2/2: TheMantyke | Jio
GP 2/2: Psywaves | TDP
[OVERVIEW]

Porygon2 is one of the bulkiest Pokemon in the VGC metagame. While its Normal typing provides Porygon2 with no resistances, it only leaves it weak to Fighting-type moves, and coupled with reliable recovery, it can be quite difficult to take down, as it can shrug off the majority of neutral and unboosted attacks. Porygon2 also provides valuable speed control for teams in Trick Room and Thunder Wave, and although it faces strong competition from Cresselia, it sets itself apart from the latter due to its Normal typing, more reliable recovery, and abilities. Specifically Trace which allows Porygon2 to copy useful abilities such as Intimidate, Competitive, Prankster, and even Parental Bond, which can deter physical attackers or turn Porygon2 into a hard-hitting tank. Despite all this, Porygon2 can find itself being very passive with without offensive investment, dealing little damage to Pokemon that aren't weak to its coverage moves. Another issue with Porygon2 is that it needs to run Eviolite, which prevents it from running other useful items such as Mental Herb and Sitrus Berry. Taunt is a common move that can stop Porygon2 from setting up Trick Room or spreading paralysis with Thunder Wave. Finally, Fighting-types such as Terrakion, Breloom, and Conkeldurr are fairly common and all completely shut down Porygon2, which also hurts its viability in VGC.

[SET]
name: Bulky Support
move 1: Ice Beam
move 2: Recover
move 3: Trick Room / Thunder Wave
move 4: Tri Attack / Thunderbolt
item: Eviolite
ability: Trace
nature: Bold / Relaxed
evs: 252 HP / 92 Def / 92 SpA / 68 SpD / 4 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Ice Beam provides necessary coverage in VGC 2015 against threats such as Thundurus, Landorus-T, and Mega Salamence. Recover provides longevity for Porygon2 and allows it to take many repeated hits, which means that it can stay alive throughout the game and sponge neutral hits. Trick Room turns slower Pokemon such as Azumarill and Mega Mawile into powerful sweepers. Thunder Wave slows down opposing Pokemon and has a chance of creating a free turn. Tri Attack has decent neutral coverage alongside Ice Beam; however, it is a fairly weak option despite having a STAB boost. Thunderbolt provides amazing coverage alongside Ice Beam and hits Water-types such as Suicune, Politoed, and Milotic while also hitting Flying-types such as Talonflame.

Set Details
========

252 HP EVs and 96 Def EVs along with a Bold or Relaxed nature allow Porygon2 to survive some of the most powerful attacks in the metagame, including +1 Double-Edge from Adamant Mega Salamence, Mega Kangaskahn Double-Edge, and even Life Orb Terrakion's Close Combat. 92 EVs in Special Attack allow Porygon2 to OHKO uninvested Mega Salamence 100% of the time, and the remaining EVs are put into Special Defense. The final 4 EVs are placed into Speed, as they are wasted if put into any other stat. If using Trick Room, run a Relaxed nature with 0 Speed IVs, as this minimizes Speed.

Usage Tips
========

Porygon2 should be used to check and cripple powerful attackers in VGC such as Mega Kangaskhan, Mega Salamence, Mega Charizard Y, Thundurus, and Gengar with Thunder Wave and Ice Beam. Be wary of Knock Off users such as Bisharp and Scrafty, as the removal of Porygon2's Eviolite can turn it into a liability on most teams, and be wary of Fighting-types and Steel-types, as the former can deal massive damage to Porygon2 with their powerful STAB moves and the latter take little damage from Porygon2's moves; Aegislash and Heatran can also use Substitute against Porygon2, and Ferrothorn doesn't mind absorbing paralysis. If using Trick Room, set it up as early as possible, and keep Porygon2 as healthy as possible for setting up Trick Room again in the late-game so slow Pokemon such as Azumarill and Mega Mawile can sweep.

Team Options
========

Fairy-types such as Sylveon and Mega Gardevoir can beat the Fighting-types that trouble Porygon2, while Porygon2 can set up Trick Room for them. Fighting-types such as Conkeldurr, Terrakion, and Breloom can beat powerful Knock Off users such as Bisharp and Scrafty, both of which heavily pressure Porygon2 with Knock Off, while they having Mega Salamence removed for them. Fighting-types also remove Steel-types that can wall Porygon2, such as Heatran and Ferrothorn. Pokemon that generally appreciate speed control in Thunder Wave such as Entei, Azumarill, Heatran, Bisharp, and Breloom work well with Porygon2, as they can pressure teams easily when they outspeed their foes. Pokemon such as Azumarill, Mega Mawile, and Mega Camerupt appreciate Trick Room support from Porygon2, as they become very powerful and threatening sweepers when Trick Room is up.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Magic Coat can be used to bounce back status moves such as Spore and Taunt, preventing Porygon2 from being crippled and allowing it to set up Trick Room more easily. Electroweb and Icy Wind can be used as alternate forms of speed control, but it isn't recommended, as they have a chance to miss and can activate Bisharp's Defiant and Milotic's Competitive. Gravity allows Porygon2 to run higher-Base Power moves such as Blizzard and Thunder and allows teammates such as Landorus-T to spam Earthquake or even the likes of Mega Gengar to use a very accurate Hypnosis. Swagger gives Porygon2 a chance to create free turns, but the risk of boosting a physical attacker's Attack by two stages is not worth it most of the time. Download could be used over Trace, as this allows Porygon2 to deal more damage if it gains a boost to Special Attack; however, there are many specially defensive threats in VGC, which can boost Porygon2's unused Attack stat instead. As Porygon2 has low base Speed, it can find plenty of opportunities to utilize Analytic, but it becomes useless against opposing Trick Room teams.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Powerful Fighting-types**: Fighting-types such as Conkeldurr, Breloom, and Terrakion can threaten Porygon2, as they can deal huge damage to it with their powerful STAB moves while Porygon2 can't do a lot back.

**Knock Off**: Porygon2 is very item reliant and is therefore very prone to Knock Off, as the removal of Eviolite severely reduces its bulk.

**Offensive Pressure**: Though Porygon2 can survive powerful attacks such as Mega Salamence's Double-Edge, it is very vulnerable to double targeting and can be overwhelmed very easily.

**Bulky Steel-types**: Bulky Steel-types such as Heatran and Ferrothorn take very little from Porygon2's moves. Additionally, Heatran can use Substitute to avoid Thunder Wave, while said move powers up Ferrothorn's Gyro Ball.

Last edited:
Not QC, but honestly i dont think that these sets should be seperate. Other than TR, they are pretty much same. I guess something like this:

[SET]
move 3: Icy Wind / Thunder Wave / Trick Room
ability: Trace / (Download?)

Tri Attack imo should be mentioned before Tbolt. Tbolt does give BoltBeam coverage, though it is pretty weak and considering Ice Beam already hits Flying types (and often for 4x dmg), only real thing it hits is Water types. However, when you look at the special bulk of things like Suicune and Milotic, you notice that damage is pretty weak. Tri Attack hits neutrally many things for decent damage, and chance for random status is nice too. Without Tbolt, though, you are totally walled by Steel types (though even with Tbolt it cant really hurt steel types anyway), and not many Pokemon resists Tbolt. Download is cool ability, as at +1 P2 actually does starts to do damage. However, Trace's utility is very cool, and Download is unrelieable (it can boost Atk too), so i think better option is to not have Download slashed with Trace, but mentioned in OO instead.

Reactions: p2

p2

Banned deucer.
Not QC, but honestly i dont think that these sets should be seperate. Other than TR, they are pretty much same. I guess something like this:

[SET]
move 3: Icy Wind / Thunder Wave / Trick Room
ability: Trace / (Download?)

Tri Attack imo should be mentioned before Tbolt. Tbolt does give BoltBeam coverage, though it is pretty weak and considering Ice Beam already hits Flying types (and often for 4x dmg), only real thing it hits is Water types. However, when you look at the special bulk of things like Suicune and Milotic, you notice that damage is pretty weak. Tri Attack hits neutrally many things for decent damage, and chance for random status is nice too. Without Tbolt, though, you are totally walled by Steel types (though even with Tbolt it cant really hurt steel types anyway), and not many Pokemon resists Tbolt. Download is cool ability, as at +1 P2 actually does starts to do damage. However, Trace's utility is very cool, and Download is unrelieable (it can boost Atk too), so i think better option is to not have Download slashed with Trace, but mentioned in OO instead.
Done this

Pretty solid stuff. Is that Ice Beam Calc for Mega Salamence or normal Salamence? If its normal, I would bump it up to the Mega Sal OHKO if its still possible to preserve your defense EVs.

If Downloads getting a mention in OO, I'd also like to see Analytic there since its also a pretty useful ability.

Not much to add outside of that that I can think of. QC 1/2

p2

Banned deucer.
Pretty solid stuff. Is that Ice Beam Calc for Mega Salamence or normal Salamence? If its normal, I would bump it up to the Mega Sal OHKO if its still possible to preserve your defense EVs.

If Downloads getting a mention in OO, I'd also like to see Analytic there since its also a pretty useful ability.

Not much to add outside of that that I can think of. QC 1/2
yeah it's for mega mence
92 SpA Porygon2 Ice Beam vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Mega Salamence: 172-204 (100.5 - 119.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO

adding an analytic mention

Jio

God is Good
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I don't think Icy Wind is good form of speed control for Porygon2 as it gets more out of Thunder Wave or Trick Room. Icy Wind is just risky as it can trigger Bisharp and Milotic's ability as well as having a chance to miss. Trick Room and Thunder Wave are a bit more consistent and aid the team better in a long run. With that said I think the slashes should be Trick Room/Thunder Wave instead.

Looks good otherwise QC 2/2

p2

Banned deucer.
I don't think Icy Wind is good form of speed control for Porygon2 as it gets more out of Thunder Wave or Trick Room. Icy Wind is just risky as it can trigger Bisharp and Milotic's ability as well as having a chance to miss. Trick Room and Thunder Wave are a bit more consistent and aid the team better in a long run. With that said I think the slashes should be Trick Room/Thunder Wave instead.

Looks good otherwise QC 2/2
cool thanks, I'll get to writing this up soon

Psywaves

Procrastinating Pedantic Perfectionist™
is a Contributor Alumnus
Add
Capitalise/capital -> lower case

Remove
Comments

This is my first check in over three months, so my apologies if I'm a little rusty!
[OVERVIEW]

Porygon2 is a very bulky Pokemon in the VGC metagame. Despite being Normal-type and having no resistances (resists shouldn't be used as a noun), Porygon2 is only weak to Fighting-type moves, (AC) and coupled with reliable recovery, it can be quite difficult to take down, (AC) as it can shrug off the majority of neutral and unboosted attacks. Porygon2 also provides valuable speed control for teams in Trick Room and Thunder Wave, and although it faces very strong competition from Cresselia, but it is set apart from the latter due to its Normal typing, more reliable recovery, and abilities. Porygon2 also has Trace, which allows it to copy useful abilities such as Intimidate, Competitive, Prankster, or even Parental Bond, which can deter physical attackers or turn Porygon2 into a hard-(hyphen)hitting tank. Despite all this, Porygon2 can find itself being very passive with offenses lacking investment, dealing little damage to Pokemon that aren't weak to Porygon2's its coverage. Another issue with Porygon2 is that it needs to run Eviolite, which means it cannot run other useful items such as Mental Herb or Sitrus Berry. Taunt is a common move that can completely stop Porygon2 as well as Taunt can stop Porygon2 from setting up Trick Room or spreading paralysis with Thunder Wave. Finally, Fighting-types such as Terrakion, Breloom, and Conkeldurr are fairly common and all completely shut down Porygon2, which also hurts its viability in VGC.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Ice Beam is necessary coverage in VGC 2015 against threats such as Thundurus, Landorus-T, and Mega Salamence. Recover provides longevity for Porygon2 and allows it to take many repeated hits, (AC) which and means that it can stay alive throughout the game and sponge neutral hits. Trick Room turns slower Pokemon such as Azumarill and Mega Mawile into powerful sweepers. Thunder Wave slows down opposing Pokemon and has a chance of creating a free turn. Tri Attack has decent neutral coverage alongside Ice Beam,; (comma -> semicolon) however, it is a fairly weak option despite having a STAB boost. Thunderbolt provides amazing coverage alongside Ice Beam and hits Water-types such as Suicune, Politoed, and Milotic while also hitting Flying-types such as Talonflame.

Set Details
========

252 HP EVs and 96 Def EVs along with a Bold / or Relaxed nature allow Porygon2 to survive some of the most powerful attacks in the metagame, (AC) including +1 Adamant Double-Edge from Adamant Mega Salamence, Mega Kangaskahn's Double-(hyphen)Edge, and even Life Orb Terrakion's Close Combat. 92 EVs in Special Attack allow Porygon2 to OHKO Mega Salamence lacking bulk investment 100% of the time, while the remaining EVs are put into Special Defense. The final 4 EVs are placed into Speed, (AC) as they are wasted if put into any other stat. If using Trick Room, run a Relaxed nature, (AC) as this minimizes Speed. (when referring to the stat, the first letter of Speed is capitalized. Also, if Porygon2 is aiming to be as slow as possible under Trick Room, then maybe the 4 EVs don't need to be placed in Speed if running said move, even if there's no other stat to place them in?)

Usage Tips
========

Porygon2 should be used to check and cripple powerful attackers in VGC such as Mega Kangaskhan, Mega Salamence, Mega Charizard Y, Thundurus, and Gengar with Thunder Wave and Ice Beam. Be wary of Knock Off users such as Bisharp and Scrafty, (AC) as the removal of Porygon2's Eviolite can turn it into a liability on most teams. Also be wary of Fighting-types and Steel-types, (AC) as the former can deal massive damage to Porygon2 with their powerful STAB moves and the latter take little damage from Porygon2's moves; (semicolon) while Aegislash and Heatran can use Substitute against Porygon2, (AC) and Ferrothorn doesn't mind absorbing paralysis. If using Trick Room, set it up as early as possible and keep Porygon2 as healthy as possible for setting up Trick Room again in the late-(hyphen)game, so slow Pokemon such as Azumarill and Mega Mawile can sweep.

Team Options
========

Fairy-types such as Sylveon and Mega Gardevoir can beat the Fighting-types that trouble Porygon2, while Porygon2 can set up Trick Room for them. Fighting-types such as Conkeldurr, Terrakion, and Breloom can beat powerful Knock Off users such as Bisharp and Scrafty, both of which heavily pressure Porygon2 with Knock Off, while Fighting-types like having Mega Salamence removed for them. Fighting-types also remove Steel-types that can wall Porygon2, (AC) such as Heatran and Ferrothorn. Pokemon that generally appreciate speed control in Thunder Wave such as Entei, Azumarill, Heatran, Bisharp, and Breloom work well with Porygon2, (AC) as they can pressure teams easily when they outspeed their foes. Pokemon such as Azumarill, Mega Mawile, and Mega Camerupt appreciate Trick Room support from Porygon2, (AC) as they become very powerful and threatening sweepers when Trick Room is up.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Magic Coat can be used to bounce back status moves such as Spore and Taunt, preventing Porygon2 from being crippled and allowing it to set up Trick Room more easily. Electroweb and Icy Wind can be used, (AC) but it isn't recommended, (AC) as they have a chance to miss and it can activate Bisharp's Defiant and Milotic's Competitive. Gravity allows Porygon2 to run higher Base Power (Base Power is capitalized) moves such as Blizzard or Thunder and allows teammates such as Landorus-T to spam Earthquake, (AC) as Ground-type immunities are nullified, or even the likes of Mega Gengar to have access to a very accurate Hypnosis. Swagger gives Porygon2 a chance to create free turns, but the risk of boosting a physical attacker's Attack by two stages is not worth it most of the time. Download could be used over Trace, (AC) as this allows Porygon2 to deal more damage if it gains a boost to Special Attack,; (comma -> semicolon) however, there are many specially defensive threats in VGC, which can boost Porygon2's unused Attack stat instead. As Porygon2 has a low base Speed, it can find plenty of opportunities to abuse utilize Analytic, however, but it becomes useless against opposing Trick Room teams.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Powerful Fighting-types**: Fighting-types such as Conkeldurr, Breloom, and Terrakion can threaten Porygon2, (AC) as they can deal huge damage to it with their powerful STAB moves while Porygon2 can't do a lot back.

**Knock Off**: Porygon2 is very item reliant and so, is therefore very prone to Knock Off, (AC) as the removal of Eviolite severely reduces its bulk.

**Offensive Pressure**: Though Porygon2 can survive powerful attacks such as Mega Salamence's Double-(hyphen)Edge, Porygon2 is very prone to double targetting and can be overwhelmed very easily.

**Bulky Steel-types**: Bulky Steel-types such as Heatran and Ferrothorn take very little from Porygon2's moves. (full stop/period) and Additionally, Heatran can use Substitute to avoid Thunder Wave, while said move Thunder Wave powers up Ferrothorn's Gyro Ball. (subjective I guess, but I omitted the second reference to T-Wave by name because I felt that it flowed better)

GP 1/2

Edit: Lol my bad about the Speed EVs; I guess I forgot that 4 EVs =/= +1 stat at Level 50

Last edited:

p2

Banned deucer.
Add
Capitalise/capital -> lower case

Remove
Comments

This is my first check in over three months, so my apologies if I'm a little rusty!
[OVERVIEW]

Porygon2 is a very bulky Pokemon in the VGC metagame. Despite being Normal-type and having no resistances (resists shouldn't be used as a noun), Porygon2 is only weak to Fighting-type moves, (AC) and coupled with reliable recovery, it can be quite difficult to take down, (AC) as it can shrug off the majority of neutral and unboosted attacks. Porygon2 also provides valuable speed control for teams in Trick Room and Thunder Wave, and although it faces very strong competition from Cresselia, but it is set apart from the latter due to its Normal typing, more reliable recovery, and abilities. Porygon2 also has Trace, which allows it to copy useful abilities such as Intimidate, Competitive, Prankster, or even Parental Bond, which can deter physical attackers or turn Porygon2 into a hard-(hyphen)hitting tank. Despite all this, Porygon2 can find itself being very passive with offenses lacking investment, dealing little damage to Pokemon that aren't weak to Porygon2's its coverage. Another issue with Porygon2 is that it needs to run Eviolite, which means it cannot run other useful items such as Mental Herb or Sitrus Berry. Taunt is a common move that can completely stop Porygon2 as well as Taunt can stop Porygon2 from setting up Trick Room or spreading paralysis with Thunder Wave. Finally, Fighting-types such as Terrakion, Breloom, and Conkeldurr are fairly common and all completely shut down Porygon2, which also hurts its viability in VGC.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Ice Beam is necessary coverage in VGC 2015 against threats such as Thundurus, Landorus-T, and Mega Salamence. Recover provides longevity for Porygon2 and allows it to take many repeated hits, (AC) which and means that it can stay alive throughout the game and sponge neutral hits. Trick Room turns slower Pokemon such as Azumarill and Mega Mawile into powerful sweepers. Thunder Wave slows down opposing Pokemon and has a chance of creating a free turn. Tri Attack has decent neutral coverage alongside Ice Beam,; (comma -> semicolon) however, it is a fairly weak option despite having a STAB boost. Thunderbolt provides amazing coverage alongside Ice Beam and hits Water-types such as Suicune, Politoed, and Milotic while also hitting Flying-types such as Talonflame.

Set Details
========

252 HP EVs and 96 Def EVs along with a Bold / or Relaxed nature allow Porygon2 to survive some of the most powerful attacks in the metagame, (AC) including +1 Adamant Double-Edge from Adamant Mega Salamence, Mega Kangaskahn's Double-(hyphen)Edge, and even Life Orb Terrakion's Close Combat. 92 EVs in Special Attack allow Porygon2 to OHKO Mega Salamence lacking bulk investment 100% of the time, while the remaining EVs are put into Special Defense. The final 4 EVs are placed into Speed, (AC) as they are wasted if put into any other stat. If using Trick Room, run a Relaxed nature, (AC) as this minimizes Speed. (when referring to the stat, the first letter of Speed is capitalized. Also, if Porygon2 is aiming to be as slow as possible under Trick Room, then maybe the 4 EVs don't need to be placed in Speed if running said move, even if there's no other stat to place them in?)

Usage Tips
========

Porygon2 should be used to check and cripple powerful attackers in VGC such as Mega Kangaskhan, Mega Salamence, Mega Charizard Y, Thundurus, and Gengar with Thunder Wave and Ice Beam. Be wary of Knock Off users such as Bisharp and Scrafty, (AC) as the removal of Porygon2's Eviolite can turn it into a liability on most teams. Also be wary of Fighting-types and Steel-types, (AC) as the former can deal massive damage to Porygon2 with their powerful STAB moves and the latter take little damage from Porygon2's moves; (semicolon) while Aegislash and Heatran can use Substitute against Porygon2, (AC) and Ferrothorn doesn't mind absorbing paralysis. If using Trick Room, set it up as early as possible and keep Porygon2 as healthy as possible for setting up Trick Room again in the late-(hyphen)game, so slow Pokemon such as Azumarill and Mega Mawile can sweep.

Team Options
========

Fairy-types such as Sylveon and Mega Gardevoir can beat the Fighting-types that trouble Porygon2, while Porygon2 can set up Trick Room for them. Fighting-types such as Conkeldurr, Terrakion, and Breloom can beat powerful Knock Off users such as Bisharp and Scrafty, both of which heavily pressure Porygon2 with Knock Off, while Fighting-types like having Mega Salamence removed for them. Fighting-types also remove Steel-types that can wall Porygon2, (AC) such as Heatran and Ferrothorn. Pokemon that generally appreciate speed control in Thunder Wave such as Entei, Azumarill, Heatran, Bisharp, and Breloom work well with Porygon2, (AC) as they can pressure teams easily when they outspeed their foes. Pokemon such as Azumarill, Mega Mawile, and Mega Camerupt appreciate Trick Room support from Porygon2, (AC) as they become very powerful and threatening sweepers when Trick Room is up.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Magic Coat can be used to bounce back status moves such as Spore and Taunt, preventing Porygon2 from being crippled and allowing it to set up Trick Room more easily. Electroweb and Icy Wind can be used, (AC) but it isn't recommended, (AC) as they have a chance to miss and it can activate Bisharp's Defiant and Milotic's Competitive. Gravity allows Porygon2 to run higher Base Power (Base Power is capitalized) moves such as Blizzard or Thunder and allows teammates such as Landorus-T to spam Earthquake, (AC) as Ground-type immunities are nullified, or even the likes of Mega Gengar to have access to a very accurate Hypnosis. Swagger gives Porygon2 a chance to create free turns, but the risk of boosting a physical attacker's Attack by two stages is not worth it most of the time. Download could be used over Trace, (AC) as this allows Porygon2 to deal more damage if it gains a boost to Special Attack,; (comma -> semicolon) however, there are many specially defensive threats in VGC, which can boost Porygon2's unused Attack stat instead. As Porygon2 has a low base Speed, it can find plenty of opportunities to abuse utilize Analytic, however, but it becomes useless against opposing Trick Room teams.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Powerful Fighting-types**: Fighting-types such as Conkeldurr, Breloom, and Terrakion can threaten Porygon2, (AC) as they can deal huge damage to it with their powerful STAB moves while Porygon2 can't do a lot back.

**Knock Off**: Porygon2 is very item reliant and so, is therefore very prone to Knock Off, (AC) as the removal of Eviolite severely reduces its bulk.

**Offensive Pressure**: Though Porygon2 can survive powerful attacks such as Mega Salamence's Double-(hyphen)Edge, Porygon2 is very prone to double targetting and can be overwhelmed very easily.

**Bulky Steel-types**: Bulky Steel-types such as Heatran and Ferrothorn take very little from Porygon2's moves. (full stop/period) and Additionally, Heatran can use Substitute to avoid Thunder Wave, while said move Thunder Wave powers up Ferrothorn's Gyro Ball. (subjective I guess, but I omitted the second reference to T-Wave by name because I felt that it flowed better)

GP 1/2
im in the middle of implementing this right now and the part about 4 speed evs doesn't actually change the stat. 31 IVs + 4 EV = +1 in the stats but 0IV + 4 EV = no boost to the stat as you need 8 EVs to increase the stat.

I kinda worded that badly, but even if you do put the 4 EVs into Speed, Porygon2 will still have 58 (the minimum)

Lumari

empty spaces
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris an Administrator Alumnus
TFP Leader
remove
add (Capitalize / Fix)

(comments); (AC=add comma; RC=remove comma; SC=semicolon)
[OVERVIEW]

Porygon2 is a very bulky Pokemon in the VGC metagame. (preferably change this to something like "one of the bulkiest Pokemon in the VGC metagame" or "a very bulky supporter" or "an excellent tank" or whatever is appropriate, but it's very bulky with or without the context of VGC, so as it stands it sounds kinda weird) Despite being Normal-type and having no resistances, Porygon2 is only While its Normal typing provides Porygon2 with no resistances, it only leaves it weak to Fighting-type moves, and coupled with reliable recovery, it can be quite difficult to take down, as it can shrug off the majority of neutral and unboosted attacks. Porygon2 also provides valuable speed control for teams in Trick Room and Thunder Wave, and although it faces very strong competition from Cresselia, it is set sets itself apart from the latter due to its Normal typing, more reliable recovery, and abilities. Specifically, Porygon2 also has Trace (RC) which allows it Porygon2 to copy useful abilities such as Intimidate, Competitive, Prankster, or and (category in plural -> examples in plural) even Parental Bond, which can deter physical attackers or turn Porygon2 into a hard-hitting tank. Despite all this, Porygon2 can find itself being very passive with offenses lacking without offensive investment, dealing little damage to Pokemon that aren't weak to its coverage moves. Another issue with Porygon2 is that it needs to run Eviolite, which means it cannot run prevents it from running other useful items such as Mental Herb or and Sitrus Berry. Taunt is a common move that can stop Porygon2 from setting up Trick Room or spreading paralysis with Thunder Wave. Finally, Fighting-types such as Terrakion, Breloom, and Conkeldurr are fairly common and all completely shut down Porygon2, which also hurts its viability in VGC.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Ice Beam is provides necessary coverage in VGC 2015 against threats such as Thundurus, Landorus-T, and Mega Salamence. Recover provides longevity for Porygon2 and allows it to take many repeated hits, which means that it can stay alive throughout the game and sponge neutral hits. Trick Room turns slower Pokemon such as Azumarill and Mega Mawile into powerful sweepers. Thunder Wave slows down opposing Pokemon and has a chance of creating a free turn. Tri Attack has decent neutral coverage alongside Ice Beam; however, it is a fairly weak option despite having a STAB boost. Thunderbolt provides amazing coverage alongside Ice Beam and hits Water-types such as Suicune, Politoed, and Milotic while also hitting Flying-types such as Talonflame.

Set Details
========

252 HP EVs and 96 Def EVs along with a Bold or Relaxed nature allow Porygon2 to survive some of the most powerful attacks in the metagame, including +1 Double-Edge from Adamant Mega Salamence, Mega Kangaskahn's Kangaskhan Double-Edge, and even Life Orb Terrakion's Close Combat. 92 EVs in Special Attack allow Porygon2 to OHKO uninvested Mega Salamence lacking bulk investment 100% of the time, while and the remaining EVs are put into Special Defense. The final 4 EVs are placed into Speed, as they are wasted if put into any other stat. If using Trick Room, run a Relaxed nature with 0 Speed IVs, as this minimizes Speed.

Usage Tips
========

Porygon2 should be used to check and cripple powerful attackers in VGC such as Mega Kangaskhan, Mega Salamence, Mega Charizard Y, Thundurus, and Gengar with Thunder Wave and Ice Beam. Be wary of Knock Off users such as Bisharp and Scrafty, as the removal of Porygon2's Eviolite can turn it into a liability on most teams, (comma) Also be wary and of Fighting-types and Steel-types, as the former can deal massive damage to Porygon2 with their powerful STAB moves and the latter take little damage from Porygon2's moves; Aegislash and Heatran can also use Substitute against Porygon2, and Ferrothorn doesn't mind absorbing paralysis. If using Trick Room, set it up as early as possible, (AC) and keep Porygon2 as healthy as possible for setting up Trick Room again in the late-game (RC) so slow Pokemon such as Azumarill and Mega Mawile can sweep.

Team Options
========

Fairy-types such as Sylveon and Mega Gardevoir can beat the Fighting-types that trouble Porygon2, while Porygon2 can set up Trick Room for them. (I don't play VGC, but Mega Garde on Trick Room sounds... weird) Fighting-types such as Conkeldurr, Terrakion, and Breloom can beat powerful Knock Off users such as Bisharp and Scrafty, both of which heavily pressure Porygon2 with Knock Off, while Fighting-types they like having Mega Salamence removed for them. Fighting-types also remove Steel-types that can wall Porygon2, such as Heatran and Ferrothorn. Pokemon that generally appreciate speed control in Thunder Wave such as Entei, Azumarill, Heatran, Bisharp, and Breloom work well with Porygon2, as they can pressure teams easily when they outspeed their foes. Pokemon such as Azumarill, Mega Mawile, and Mega Camerupt appreciate Trick Room support from Porygon2, as they become very powerful and threatening sweepers when Trick Room is up.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Magic Coat can be used to bounce back status moves such as Spore and Taunt, preventing Porygon2 from being crippled and allowing it to set up Trick Room more easily. Electroweb and Icy Wind can be used as alternate forms of speed control, but it isn't recommended, as they have a chance to miss and can activate Bisharp's Defiant and Milotic's Competitive. Gravity allows Porygon2 to run higher-Base (add hyphen) Power moves such as Blizzard or and Thunder and allows teammates such as Landorus-T to spam Earthquake, as Ground-type immunities are nullified, or even the likes of Mega Gengar to have access to use a very accurate Hypnosis. Swagger gives Porygon2 a chance to create free turns, but the risk of boosting a physical attacker's Attack by two stages is not worth it most of the time. Download could be used over Trace, as this allows Porygon2 to deal more damage if it gains a boost to Special Attack; however, there are many specially defensive threats in VGC, which can boost Porygon2's unused Attack stat instead. As Porygon2 has low base Speed, it can find plenty of opportunities to utilize Analytic, but it becomes useless against opposing Trick Room teams.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Powerful Fighting-types**: Fighting-types such as Conkeldurr, Breloom, and Terrakion can threaten Porygon2, as they can deal huge damage to it with their powerful STAB moves while Porygon2 can't do a lot back.

**Knock Off**: Porygon2 is very item reliant and is therefore very prone to Knock Off, as the removal of Eviolite severely reduces its bulk.

**Offensive Pressure**: Though Porygon2 can survive powerful attacks such as Mega Salamence's Double-Edge, Porygon2 it is very prone vulnerable to double targetting targeting and can be overwhelmed very easily.

**Bulky Steel-types**: Bulky Steel-types such as Heatran and Ferrothorn take very little from Porygon2's moves. Additionally, Heatran can use Substitute to avoid Thunder Wave, while said move powers up Ferrothorn's Gyro Ball.

GP 2/2

Last edited:
Reactions: p2

p2

Banned deucer.
remove
add (Capitalize / Fix)

(comments); (AC=add comma; RC=remove comma; SC=semicolon)
[OVERVIEW]

Porygon2 is a very bulky Pokemon in the VGC metagame. (preferably change this to something like "one of the bulkiest Pokemon in the VGC metagame" or "a very bulky supporter" or "an excellent tank" or whatever is appropriate, but it's very bulky with or without the context of VGC, so as it stands it sounds kinda weird) Despite being Normal-type and having no resistances, Porygon2 is only While its Normal typing provides Porygon2 with no resistances, it only leaves it weak to Fighting-type moves, and coupled with reliable recovery, it can be quite difficult to take down, as it can shrug off the majority of neutral and unboosted attacks. Porygon2 also provides valuable speed control for teams in Trick Room and Thunder Wave, and although it faces very strong competition from Cresselia, it is set sets itself apart from the latter due to its Normal typing, more reliable recovery, and abilities. Specifically, Porygon2 also has Trace (RC) which allows it Porygon2 to copy useful abilities such as Intimidate, Competitive, Prankster, or and (category in plural -> examples in plural) even Parental Bond, which can deter physical attackers or turn Porygon2 into a hard-hitting tank. Despite all this, Porygon2 can find itself being very passive with offenses lacking without offensive investment, dealing little damage to Pokemon that aren't weak to its coverage moves. Another issue with Porygon2 is that it needs to run Eviolite, which means it cannot run prevents it from running other useful items such as Mental Herb or and Sitrus Berry. Taunt is a common move that can stop Porygon2 from setting up Trick Room or spreading paralysis with Thunder Wave. Finally, Fighting-types such as Terrakion, Breloom, and Conkeldurr are fairly common and all completely shut down Porygon2, which also hurts its viability in VGC.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Ice Beam is provides necessary coverage in VGC 2015 against threats such as Thundurus, Landorus-T, and Mega Salamence. Recover provides longevity for Porygon2 and allows it to take many repeated hits, which means that it can stay alive throughout the game and sponge neutral hits. Trick Room turns slower Pokemon such as Azumarill and Mega Mawile into powerful sweepers. Thunder Wave slows down opposing Pokemon and has a chance of creating a free turn. Tri Attack has decent neutral coverage alongside Ice Beam; however, it is a fairly weak option despite having a STAB boost. Thunderbolt provides amazing coverage alongside Ice Beam and hits Water-types such as Suicune, Politoed, and Milotic while also hitting Flying-types such as Talonflame.

Set Details
========

252 HP EVs and 96 Def EVs along with a Bold or Relaxed nature allow Porygon2 to survive some of the most powerful attacks in the metagame, including +1 Double-Edge from Adamant Mega Salamence, Mega Kangaskahn's Kangaskhan Double-Edge, and even Life Orb Terrakion's Close Combat. 92 EVs in Special Attack allow Porygon2 to OHKO uninvested Mega Salamence lacking bulk investment 100% of the time, while and the remaining EVs are put into Special Defense. The final 4 EVs are placed into Speed, as they are wasted if put into any other stat. If using Trick Room, run a Relaxed nature with 0 Speed IVs, as this minimizes Speed.

Usage Tips
========

Porygon2 should be used to check and cripple powerful attackers in VGC such as Mega Kangaskhan, Mega Salamence, Mega Charizard Y, Thundurus, and Gengar with Thunder Wave and Ice Beam. Be wary of Knock Off users such as Bisharp and Scrafty, as the removal of Porygon2's Eviolite can turn it into a liability on most teams, (comma) Also be wary and of Fighting-types and Steel-types, as the former can deal massive damage to Porygon2 with their powerful STAB moves and the latter take little damage from Porygon2's moves; Aegislash and Heatran can also use Substitute against Porygon2, and Ferrothorn doesn't mind absorbing paralysis. If using Trick Room, set it up as early as possible, (AC) and keep Porygon2 as healthy as possible for setting up Trick Room again in the late-game (RC) so slow Pokemon such as Azumarill and Mega Mawile can sweep.

Team Options
========

Fairy-types such as Sylveon and Mega Gardevoir can beat the Fighting-types that trouble Porygon2, while Porygon2 can set up Trick Room for them. (I don't play VGC, but Mega Garde on Trick Room sounds... weird) Fighting-types such as Conkeldurr, Terrakion, and Breloom can beat powerful Knock Off users such as Bisharp and Scrafty, both of which heavily pressure Porygon2 with Knock Off, while Fighting-types they like having Mega Salamence removed for them. Fighting-types also remove Steel-types that can wall Porygon2, such as Heatran and Ferrothorn. Pokemon that generally appreciate speed control in Thunder Wave such as Entei, Azumarill, Heatran, Bisharp, and Breloom work well with Porygon2, as they can pressure teams easily when they outspeed their foes. Pokemon such as Azumarill, Mega Mawile, and Mega Camerupt appreciate Trick Room support from Porygon2, as they become very powerful and threatening sweepers when Trick Room is up.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Magic Coat can be used to bounce back status moves such as Spore and Taunt, preventing Porygon2 from being crippled and allowing it to set up Trick Room more easily. Electroweb and Icy Wind can be used as alternate forms of speed control, but it isn't recommended, as they have a chance to miss and can activate Bisharp's Defiant and Milotic's Competitive. Gravity allows Porygon2 to run higher-Base (add hyphen) Power moves such as Blizzard or and Thunder and allows teammates such as Landorus-T to spam Earthquake, as Ground-type immunities are nullified, or even the likes of Mega Gengar to have access to use a very accurate Hypnosis. Swagger gives Porygon2 a chance to create free turns, but the risk of boosting a physical attacker's Attack by two stages is not worth it most of the time. Download could be used over Trace, as this allows Porygon2 to deal more damage if it gains a boost to Special Attack; however, there are many specially defensive threats in VGC, which can boost Porygon2's unused Attack stat instead. As Porygon2 has low base Speed, it can find plenty of opportunities to utilize Analytic, but it becomes useless against opposing Trick Room teams.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Offensive Pressure**: Though Porygon2 can survive powerful attacks such as Mega Salamence's Double-Edge, Porygon2 it is very prone vulnerable to double targetting targeting and can be overwhelmed very easily.

GP 2/2
Gardevoir w/ Trick Room is actually a thing in VGC. I don't think its too common though but I've definitely heard things about it.

Anyway, thanks everybody. This is ready to be uploaded now

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)