5th Gen PRNG Help / Info - Latest: RNG Reporter 9.96.5, PPRNG 1.15.0

When calibrating Black Version (English) on a DSi, is it normal to have different values for "actual seconds" and more than 2 Timer0's? I waited at the DSi main menu, watched the clock in the top-right of the top screen, and as soon as it moved to the next minute, I loaded the game, making sure not to press any buttons until the crashing star appears. I've done this 5 times; here is the breakdown (in order of least to greatest, not the order in which I got them):

actual seconds: 2, 2, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 4, 4, 4
VCount: 8C
Timer0: 123C, 123C, 123C, 123D, 123D, 123D, 123D, 123D, 123D, 123E
GxStat: 6
VFrame: 8

Is this normal?

Last edited:

.com

Grumpy old man
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
When calibrating Black Version (English) on a DSi, is it normal to have different values for "actual seconds" and more than 2 Timer0's? I waited at the DSi main menu, watched the clock in the top-right of the top screen, and as soon as it moved to the next minute, I loaded the game, making sure not to press any buttons until the crashing star appears. I've done this 5 times; here is the breakdown:

actual seconds: 3, VCount: 8C, Timer0: 123D, GxStat: 6, VFrame: 8
actual seconds: 3, VCount: 8C, Timer0: 123D, GxStat: 6, VFrame: 8
actual seconds: 4, VCount: 8C, Timer0: 123E, GxStat: 6, VFrame: 8
actual seconds: 4, VCount: 8C, Timer0: 123D, GxStat: 6, VFrame: 8
actual seconds: 4, VCount: 8C, Timer0: 123C, GxStat: 6, VFrame: 8

Is this normal?

EDIT: Now I got 2 as my actual seconds value...
Actual seconds shouldn't change unless you have a very glitchy system. If you're falling between 2 values a lot, try hitting A .5 seconds sooner or later (chances are you're actual second is like 2.95, and since it always rounds down, if you hit .05 seconds later, you go to the next second up).
There's typically 2 Timer0's, but more isn't unheard of. Fixing the actual seconds issue may well resolve this issue too though.

Actual seconds shouldn't change unless you have a very glitchy system. If you're falling between 2 values a lot, try hitting A .5 seconds sooner or later (chances are you're actual second is like 2.95, and since it always rounds down, if you hit .05 seconds later, you go to the next second up).
There's typically 2 Timer0's, but more isn't unheard of. Fixing the actual seconds issue may well resolve this issue too though.
Thanks for your reply. Now that I'm getting 3 different values for my actual seconds (I must have updated my post while you were typing your reply), what do you suggest I do? What is it supposed to be on a DSi? I'm not sure how this will play into the use of EonTimer for hitting my target second (since the DSi obviously lacks a second hand on the main screen).

.com

Grumpy old man
The "actual seconds" is the amount of time the console takes from you pressing [A], to the game having booted. I've never met a system that has an unreliable "actual seconds", so my guess would be that you misclicked on the latest example (or something similar). In any event, I would suggest you consider ~3.5 as your actual seconds and the 2 second one an anomaly.

2–3 seconds is usual on DSi IIRC. I use(d) either 1.75 or 2.75 seconds as my value (honestly can't remember, it's been a while), i.e. I try and press it around .25 seconds after the second hand ticks. If you're using EonTimer then it's even simpler, as you can just set a timer to the exact value you find.

The "actual seconds" is the amount of time the console takes from you pressing [A], to the game having booted. I've never met a system that has an unreliable "actual seconds", so my guess would be that you misclicked on the latest example (or something similar). In any event, I would suggest you consider ~3.5 as your actual seconds and the 2 second one an anomaly.

2–3 seconds is usual on DSi IIRC. I use(d) either 1.75 or 2.75 seconds as my value (honestly can't remember, it's been a while), i.e. I try and press it around .25 seconds after the second hand ticks. If you're using EonTimer then it's even simpler, as you can just set a timer to the exact value you find.
I picked a spread with a seconds value of 44 and went after Kyurem with it. By using the Adjacent Seed Tool, I found out that what I got corresponded to a seconds value of 42, so I put that into EonTimer under "Seconds Hit" and updated it, and on my next attempt, I got it!

Thanks!

EDIT: Okay, I'm having some trouble advancing my PIDRNG frame for the Lostlorn Forest Zoroark. According to RNG Reporter, my initial frame for my seed (943CCAD10AF7F56F) is 52. I know that my frame will be advanced by 2 for the 1 step I have to take to initiate the encounter, right? Do the uncontrolled steps that I take after that when I walk up to the trailer advance my frame?

Last edited:

shiny finder

forever searching
is a Community Leaderis a Programmeris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Chatot Wrangler
The frame shouldn't advance because of those uncontrolled steps. IIRC, the one step to initiate it would advance the frame by 2 (and the IV frame by X Pokemon in your party if you happen to trip the 128 step counter). There may be some NPCs there too throwing off the frame (although I'm unsure of that).

edit: looks like there aren't NPCs in Lostlorn Forest in BW, but there are in BW2

Last edited:
I'm having some trouble trying to RNG Arceus in the Entralink. I got the following data from RNG Reporter:

C-Gear seed: 4858094D
delay: 8527
C-Gear date/time: 3/3/15, 9:19:14
frame: 21 (no advancements required)
standard seed: EE146C58AF1B7AA4
date/time: 3/13/15, 9:16:52
nature cluster: frames 133-136

Here's my EonTimer setup. I was concerned off the bat of the fact that the first timer, as you can see from the screenshot, did not come out to 52 seconds.

I decided on my first attempt that I wasn't going to bother with the 3rd timer for my nature; I was just going to get my delay calibrated properly.

Here's what I did:

1. Set DS to 3/3/2015, 9:16:00, and hit confirm as I start up EonTimer.
2. When 1st timer expires, load the game. Don't touch any buttons until crashing star animation; do not load C-Gear with game.
3. Load C-Gear, open and close menu to skip animation, click Wireless, click Entralink, leave screen at "<Player> warped to the Entralink!" message.
4. When 2nd timer expires, click "A" to dismiss the above message.
5. Walk up to Arceus and initiate the encounter.

I caught Arceus and calculated its IVs. I went on the Seed To Times / Adjacent Finder and set min/max delay to -/+ 999, min/max second to -/+ 9, min frame to 21, and max frame to 22 in case I tripped the step counter with the 1 Pokémon in my party. I inputted my Arceus's IVs, and got no match.

Am I doing something wrong?

shiny finder

forever searching
is a Community Leaderis a Programmeris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Chatot Wrangler
Make sure that you have the EonTimer set up correctly for Entralink abuse (i.e. the correct method or buttons checked). Since you don't care about nature for now, you might try doing just the standard Entralink mode, rather than Entralink+ (if there is one). I read there might be a problem with Entralink+, but that was years ago.

As for the 52 seconds, that's probably because of your calibration numbers (which I'm assuming you meant to change) and input of 133 advances. You're really going for the C-Gear date/time anyway, and you'll notice that the seconds don't line up perfectly to the target in the guide on the first page.

Your method sounds fine. Try increasing your max frame to 30 though. You may have experienced the jump to a starting IV frame of 8 as talked about in said guide.

Make sure that you have the EonTimer set up correctly for Entralink abuse (i.e. the correct method or buttons checked). Since you don't care about nature for now, you might try doing just the standard Entralink mode, rather than Entralink+ (if there is one). I read there might be a problem with Entralink+, but that was years ago.

As for the 52 seconds, that's probably because of your calibration numbers (which I'm assuming you meant to change) and input of 133 advances. You're really going for the C-Gear date/time anyway, and you'll notice that the seconds don't line up perfectly to the target in the guide on the first page.

Your method sounds fine. Try increasing your max frame to 30 though. You may have experienced the jump to a starting IV frame of 8 as talked about in said guide.
The 133 advances is what I put in because my nature cluster begins on frame 133; this should only affect the 3rd timer (not the 52 second one), right? I tried increasing my max frame... still no results for my IVs.

What calibration numbers did you think I meant to change? Sephirona's guide states to begin with "Calibration" set to -195. I also know that "EL Calibration" is initially supposed to be 296, not 256, so I'll change that and give it another try with standard Entralink mode.

EDIT: Again, no results. :(

Last edited:

shiny finder

forever searching
Chatot Wrangler
The PIDRNG would be advancing the entire time, so I'm not sure if the number you put in would change any of the other timers as well (you could try changing it to see).

I was referring to the 256, which I assumed you had changed from the guide.

For now, I'd stick with the standard Entralink timer to cut down on variables. The 52 second timer which you keep referring to is for the nature, which isn't what you're going for (if I'm understanding you correctly). Can you post a screenshot of your new EonTimer setup and Seed to Time Window? If you can, which IVs are you getting on your Arceus? Thanks!

The PIDRNG would be advancing the entire time, so I'm not sure if the number you put in would change any of the other timers as well (you could try changing it to see).

I was referring to the 256, which I assumed you had changed from the guide.

For now, I'd stick with the standard Entralink timer to cut down on variables. The 52 second timer which you keep referring to is for the nature, which isn't what you're going for (if I'm understanding you correctly). Can you post a screenshot of your new EonTimer setup and Seed to Time Window? If you can, which IVs are you getting on your Arceus? Thanks!
I eventually want to go for a nature, but I figured I'd get my delay calibrated first so that I'm actually hitting around my target when I take the extra time to try to get the nature I want.

Here you go:
EonTimer
Seed to Times / Adjacent Finder

The last time I tried, I got a 12/19/8/17/17/26 Arceus.

Thank you!

shiny finder

forever searching
Chatot Wrangler
I eventually want to go for a nature, but I figured I'd get my delay calibrated first so that I'm actually hitting around my target when I take the extra time to try to get the nature I want.

Here you go:
EonTimer
Seed to Times / Adjacent Finder

The last time I tried, I got a 12/19/8/17/17/26 Arceus.

Thank you!
Thanks! That's fine about the the nature. I was just thinking to try a different mode in case there was something wrong with the Entralink+ mode (which there may not be).

Your setup seems fine :/ I guess make sure there's not an obvious option that needs to be checked within the menus of EonTimer (I'm not too familiar with it...which I should really change XD). Another thing you can try is to SR at the end of the first timer, rather than starting from the DS menu. Everything else about your procedure seems fine.

I suppose you should double-check to make sure your DS date/time is right too :P.

Thanks! That's fine about the the nature. I was just thinking to try a different mode in case there was something wrong with the Entralink+ mode (which there may not be).

Your setup seems fine :/ I guess make sure there's not an obvious option that needs to be checked within the menus of EonTimer (I'm not too familiar with it...which I should really change XD). Another thing you can try is to SR at the end of the first timer, rather than starting from the DS menu. Everything else about your procedure seems fine.

I suppose you should double-check to make sure your DS date/time is right too :P.
Yep, I double-checked the EonTimer settings and my DS date/time. Maybe I'll try another seed and see if I have the same trouble. Otherwise, I guess I'll just SR for Arceus on this cart before I restart it. Thanks so much for all of your help.

Random question: Since 5th gen WonderCards have their PID and IVs tied together like 3rd/4th gen spreads, does this mean that not every nature is available with a fully-flawless spread, a la 3rd/4th gen (where fully-flawless only comes with Modest, Timid, Docile, Sassy, and Calm)?

shiny finder

forever searching
Chatot Wrangler
Yep, I double-checked the EonTimer settings and my DS date/time. Maybe I'll try another seed and see if I have the same trouble. Otherwise, I guess I'll just SR for Arceus on this cart before I restart it. Thanks so much for all of your help.

Random question: Since 5th gen WonderCards have their PID and IVs tied together like 3rd/4th gen spreads, does this mean that not every nature is available with a fully-flawless spread, a la 3rd/4th gen (where fully-flawless only comes with Modest, Timid, Docile, Sassy, and Calm)?
Another seed is a good idea. I've read that SRing may produce better results, so that's worth a try as well. You're welcome, but sorry I couldn't be of more assistance. :)

IIRC there's no restrictions on nature + IV combo for 5th gen.

IIRC there's no restrictions on nature + IV combo for 5th gen.
Yeah, I heard that as a general rule of thumb, but I thought that it was a product of them being generated separately, so I wasn't sure if it applied to WonderCards too or not since their PIDs and IVs are generated together (like in 3rd/4th gen where there were restrictions).

Last edited:

Mattapod

bad clarinet music
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
this is probably a horribly noobish question but here it goes. when hitting cgear seeds, im confused about the whole soft reset thing. im using a dsi. i go into settings, and set the date. i set the time at the exact second i set my zomg timer. then what? it says to sr at the end of the first timer. but how can i soft reset the game if its not loaded?

ive tried loading the game normally and sring as the timer goes off, starting the game normally when the timer goes off, no idea what im doing wrong

the main reason im asking is bc im trying to rng the shiny nature preserve haxorus and the spreads i keep getting arent found anywhere in pprng for the seed im supposed to hit so im wondering where im messing up

shiny finder

forever searching
Chatot Wrangler
this is probably a horribly noobish question but here it goes. when hitting cgear seeds, im confused about the whole soft reset thing. im using a dsi. i go into settings, and set the date. i set the time at the exact second i set my zomg timer. then what? it says to sr at the end of the first timer. but how can i soft reset the game if its not loaded?

ive tried loading the game normally and sring as the timer goes off, starting the game normally when the timer goes off, no idea what im doing wrong

the main reason im asking is bc im trying to rng the shiny nature preserve haxorus and the spreads i keep getting arent found anywhere in pprng for the seed im supposed to hit so im wondering where im messing up
After setting the time and starting the timer at the same time, load the game normally from the DS menu. Just let it play through the cutscenes etc and when the first timer ends, SR. Then you can start the game and wait for your second timer as usual.

Misdreavus is having a similar problem with the EonTimer, where it doesn't update the time correctly if she inputs the actual time and delay at the same time. I guess make sure that ZomgTimer isn't behaving similarly by making you hit a time over +/- 9 seconds. Trying a different seed may also help.

On a side note, why not just use standard (non-C-gear) abuse?

edit: Right, forgot there aren't C-gear seeds. It could be Timer0 trolling too. Did you try looking in the adjacents tab to see if that's the case? Since you just use the standard abuse here, the Timer isn't really necessary (unless you're trying to get a more consistent Timer0, in which case a 2 stage timer isn't needed).

Last edited:

Mattapod

bad clarinet music
After setting the time and starting the timer at the same time, load the game normally from the DS menu. Just let it play through the cutscenes etc and when the first timer ends, SR. Then you can start the game and wait for your second timer as usual.

Misdreavus is having a similar problem with the EonTimer, where it doesn't update the time correctly if she inputs the actual time and delay at the same time. I guess make sure that ZomgTimer isn't behaving similarly by making you hit a time over +/- 9 seconds. Trying a different seed may also help.

On a side note, why not just use standard (non-C-gear) abuse?

edit: Right, forgot there aren't C-gear seeds. It could be Timer0 trolling too. Did you try looking in the adjacents tab to see if that's the case? Since you just use the standard abuse here, the Timer isn't really necessary (unless you're trying to get a more consistent Timer0, in which case a 2 stage timer isn't needed).
i will check that out on my day off and get back. thx for the help. if im still having issues ill post my whole process with specifics

After reading this guide for Dream Radar RNG with RNG Reporter and seeing the comment at the bottom, can someone please confirm which is the correct formula for advancements?

Advancements = (IV target Frame – 8 + [13 * slots before current slot]) ÷ 2

or

Advancements = (IV target Frame – 8 - [13 * slots before current slot]) ÷ 2

shiny finder

forever searching
Chatot Wrangler
Advancements = (IV target Frame – 8 - [13 * slots before current slot]) ÷ 2. The presence of Pokemon before your target advances the IV frame, decreasing the number of advancements you'd have to do.

If you want to check your work, I wrote a few calculators here. I believe they're correct, but no one's perfect ;)

I am having an odd issue. According to the PPRNG Guide for Unova Link Calibration (I'm using RNG Reporter, just for reference), I should be getting the same Vcount and Vframe each time. However, in 3 Calibrations I have gotten 3 different Vframe values and 2 different Vcount values. Is this normal or is human error being a factor? Also, as opposed to setting a clock synchronized with my DSi, I have been pressing A to start my game immediately when the minute changes (the time's colon and charging symbol flash on and off the top screen every second).

Attachments

.com

Grumpy old man
I am having an odd issue. According to the PPRNG Guide for Unova Link Calibration (I'm using RNG Reporter, just for reference), I should be getting the same Vcount and Vframe each time. However, in 3 Calibrations I have gotten 3 different Vframe values and 2 different Vcount values. Is this normal or is human error being a factor? Also, as opposed to setting a clock synchronized with my DSi, I have been pressing A to start my game immediately when the minute changes (the time's colon and charging symbol flash on and off the top screen every second).
I would keep trying (and try from scratch).
Unless your reaction time is horrific, your actual seconds changing from 1 to 10 implies those aren't the actual seeds you're hitting.
The Timer0 changing by more than +-5 (on a DSi) also makes these very unlikely to be your actual seeds.

I would also try with an external clock a couple of times to see if you get any better consistency; perhaps the clock on the home screen doesn't update accurately, which is where the 9 second deficit comes from.

Sorry there's no direct help/answer to your question here, but those just can't be the right seeds I'm afraid. Even trying 15 or so spinner directions would eliminate some false positives.

shiny finder

forever searching
Chatot Wrangler
A few things you could try:
  • As .com almost suggested, synch your DS with an external timer and aim for a time other than 00 seconds. You'll most likely be using an external timer/clock to hit seeds, so you might as well practice with it.
  • Hard reset your DSi after setting the time rather than returning to the main menu (which I assume you're doing). You'd most likely want to have an external clock for this in case booting messes with the flashing icons.
  • The standard IV calibration method.
UL Calibration can be buggy/unstable even in the newest version of RNG Reporter (people have certainly had success with it, but you're not the first to have issues with getting accurate/consistent/any results), so that's something to keep in mind.

If I know for a fact that I have used Memory Link, do I really need to RNG other Dream Radar Pokémon before going for Therians/Legendaries? If I understand correctly, the spinner results will tell me if I hit my seed, right?

Esmeya

There's nothing left. Goodbye.
If I know for a fact that I have used Memory Link, do I really need to RNG other Dream Radar Pokémon before going for Therians/Legendaries? If I understand correctly, the spinner results will tell me if I hit my seed, right?
Yes.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 16)