Unpopular opinions

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
I Really loved the vanillite and Trubish line, not only design wise but gameplay wise in b/w, especially in b where their appearance actually could improve your team.
Never really use Trubbish but I did use Vanillite in my White playthrough and it was a pretty good Ice-type.

Pokemon shouldn't be based off real-life religions or deity. This just attracts criticism from extremists from people who believe in God (and somehow thinks Pokemon is mocking the God) or people who don't believe in God (and thinks that Pokemon supports this idea so they blindly hate said Pokemon).

OK, for my own unpopular opinion,

1) Pokemon models should never have been made. They look much nicer as 2D sprites. The 3D models are pretty ugly, by today's standards.

2) Phione's existence serves no point other than screwing players who don't have a Manaphy but wishes to complete the Platinum Dex. It's just so average in battle and has no value at all.

3) Victini's signature move should be V-Create instead of Searing Shot which has no use on it because it has Blue Flare lol.
Pokemon is its own world. If the creators want to have it have a god I don't see how anyone would be bothered by it. Those who don't believe in god do so because there's no scientific proof in real life that god exists (LET'S NOT GET INTO THIS DISCUSSION. If you believe in God and see proof of his existence everywhere that's great, but by scientific methods they cannot detect whether there's a being such as God). However in a fictional world? Sure, why not have a whole pantheon, if the god(s) are important to the story the main character would probably be "physically" meeting them so whatever. Also Pokemon doesn't really have a religion, like there's no Church of Arceus. We've seen Buddhist stuff and there was that one Church in Hearthome, but they usually put a Pokemon spin on it and they don't really focus on it. Besides Pokemon's creation myth is pretty stock compared to other creation myths. First there was chaos, something came from the chaos and brought order, created the world and its inhabitants, went away/to sleep. Honestly I'd say GF wasn't even trying and just wanted an excuse to make a god Pokemon with high stats.

1) It's not that I don't think they shouldn't have models but what does it being in 3D bring? Yes it looks marvelous but now we'll no longer get high quality sprites and there's kind of no point to make any more Stadium/Colosseum games since the main point of those was the 3D battling (though Colosseum does have a story (that's still waiting to be finished, or at the very least the next part told)). Also the 3D models, while looking good, for the most part just stand there. The previous 3D console games I felt had the Pokemon moving around more, doing neat stuff when idol/attacking/fainting. But Gen IV's models are pretty standard when it comes to animation. I'm hoping that now that they've made all the models they'll put in time to giving them more complex animations to give them some more life.

2) Phione is in neither DP's nor Platinum's Regional Dex. Neither is Heatran, Regigigas, Cresselia, Phione, Darkrai, Shaymin, and Arceus. The only Legendary added to Platinum's Regional dex is Giratina since you know encounter it during the story. Of course I don't know why Manaphy is in the Regional Dex, like I can understand them wanting to push Pokemon Ranger but still.

3) Searing Shot is a perfectly fine Special Fire-type move. 100 Power, 100 Accuracy, and 30% to burn? If it was on any Fire-type it would be a fantastic move, but Victini gets V-Create and unless you want it to be a mixed attacker with 2 Fire moves it'll probably stick to being a Physical Attacker for V-Create. But if you can't get your hands on a movie Victini a Special Attacker with Searing Shot isn't so bad.

Rapture

I got so much time today
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Yea searing shot would be a nice addition to a decent amount of mons, Victini is strapped for moveslots to fit all the options it gets already though so that's unfortunate. I personally never understood the hate trubbish and garbodor got, they're pretty unique in some aspects of their design and cute because of how silly they look :3

The thing is, unless you care about that 30% additional power, Victini prefers Fire Blast thanks to its ability boosting its accuracy. 110*(0.85+0.085) = 102 which is slightly more power than Searing Shot. I guess it's more of a wash.

While team galactic was a pretty big threat, most of the time when I saw their sprite designs they looked like a bunch of emo people in stupid outfits to "try" to stand out and were bored out of their minds.

While I like the new designs of Archie and Maxie in oras I find them a little to, well weird. I mean we all know Archie was a pirate, but now game freak upped it over 9000. He has a golden anchor around his neck for pete's sake!

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
The thing is, unless you care about that 30% additional power, Victini prefers Fire Blast thanks to its ability boosting its accuracy. 110*(0.85+0.085) = 102 which is slightly more power than Searing Shot. I guess it's more of a wash.
Forgot about Victory Star. That would make Fire Blast go from 85% to 93.5% accuracy, so from meh to almost accurate. Also not sure what you're trying to do there with its Power. 110 + STAB = 165, 15 more Power than a STAB boosted Searing Shot (100 + STAB = 150). Only advantage Searing Shot has is the 30% Burn compared to Fire Blast's 10% (FUN FACT: FB's original chance to Burn was also 30% but decreased to 10% come Gen II), but unless Victini gets Serene Grace that's still too low to rely on so you might as well go for the higher power of Fire Blast. Still, if other Fire-types could have it I wouldn't be surprised to maybe see some choose it over Fire Blast and Flamethrower.

While I like the new designs of Archie and Maxie in oras I find them a little to, well weird. I mean we all know Archie was a pirate, but now game freak upped it over 9000. He has a golden anchor around his neck for pete's sake!
The anchor is the only thing that bothers you? How about what he's wearing. There's a different between a wet suit and whatever in the world Archie (and what Shelly and Matt) is wearing. Heck I'd argue it doesn't make sense they're always wearing it because we never see them in the water, they're always walking around, they must be either uncomfortable or feel like they're wearing nothing. The grunts are still wearing pirate clothes, Archie and the admins couldn't put on like coats an jackets to separate their appearance?

EDIT: And looking through Archie's Bulbapedia page, I found some concept art for his new design and found out something new: his shoes have a pop out flipper:

He also turns into a red shark...

Cresselia~~

Junichi Masuda likes this!!
Forgot about Victory Star. That would make Fire Blast go from 85% to 93.5% accuracy, so from meh to almost accurate. Also not sure what you're trying to do there with its Power. 110 + STAB = 165, 15 more Power than a STAB boosted Searing Shot (100 + STAB = 150). Only advantage Searing Shot has is the 30% Burn compared to Fire Blast's 10% (FUN FACT: FB's original chance to Burn was also 30% but decreased to 10% come Gen II), but unless Victini gets Serene Grace that's still too low to rely on so you might as well go for the higher power of Fire Blast. Still, if other Fire-types could have it I wouldn't be surprised to maybe see some choose it over Fire Blast and Flamethrower.

The anchor is the only thing that bothers you? How about what he's wearing. There's a different between a wet suit and whatever in the world Archie (and what Shelly and Matt) is wearing. Heck I'd argue it doesn't make sense they're always wearing it because we never see them in the water, they're always walking around, they must be either uncomfortable or feel like they're wearing nothing. The grunts are still wearing pirate clothes, Archie and the admins couldn't put on like coats an jackets to separate their appearance?

EDIT: And looking through Archie's Bulbapedia page, I found some concept art for his new design and found out something new: his shoes have a pop out flipper:

But I love his design
The huge chunk of golden anchor is like the ace of the design-- it's a cheap and brainless way to show off your money
Considering he , isnt very intelligent this design suits him well

What are you saying ? The accuracy boost was part of the calcul

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
What are you saying ? The accuracy boost was part of the calcul

I don't quite understand what you're doing. What's the .85+.085?

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Okay, so why are you multiplying it with the Power? Are you trying to say that over a course of a battle that if you take the amount of time the attacks hit it'll be as if Fire Blast had 102? An odd way to put it but okay. Though I'd think the amount of turns the battle takes would be a factor.

Yeah, it's average power if you use it an infinite amount of time. It's how I've learned whether an attack is worth the lower accuracy or not. Out of the "typical" attacks, only Fire Blast is better in the long run than its weaker but more accurate version

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Okay, so why are you multiplying it with the Power? Are you trying to say that over a course of a battle that if you take the amount of time the attacks hit it'll be as if Fire Blast had 102? An odd way to put it but okay. Though I'd think the amount of turns the battle takes would be a factor.
In statistics, it's the "expected value of power". Normally, it'd hit for 110 power 85 % of the time, and 0 power 15 % of the time (a miss), resulting in an average power of 93.5. Since the odds of hitting is increased by Victory Star, the odds of hitting become 93.5 % of the time instead, and thus the average power over time becomes 102.

So Searing Shot has triple the burn chance (same as Lava Plume!) and will not miss, in exchange for, accounting for accuracy...two base power. Sounds pretty worth it to me, at least for cartridge play. On Showdown you can use Blue Flare (or V-Create, of course).

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
In statistics, it's the "expected value of power". Normally, it'd hit for 110 power 85 % of the time, and 0 power 15 % of the time (a miss), resulting in an average power of 93.5. Since the odds of hitting is increased by Victory Star, the odds of hitting become 93.5 % of the time instead, and thus the average power over time becomes 102.
I get it now, its just in my head I see Power and Accuracy as two separate numbers. I see it as doing "110 fairy accurately" instead of "102 through the course of the battle". Not the most scientific approach, but I feel it gets me through all the same.

I was just using it as an example as how game freak went overboard with the design. It wasn't the only thing.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
I get it now, its just in my head I see Power and Accuracy as two separate numbers. I see it as doing "110 fairy accurately" instead of "102 through the course of the battle". Not the most scientific approach, but I feel it gets me through all the same.
It's an interesting way to judge two moves up against each other, when the power vs. accuracy aspect shows up. It gets a little more fuzzy when you factor in things such as burn chance, flinche or possibilities of stat increases (see for instance Meteor Mash vs. Iron Head or something like that), but at a glance, it's a very useful "tool".

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
It's an interesting way to judge two moves up against each other, when the power vs. accuracy aspect shows up. It gets a little more fuzzy when you factor in things such as burn chance, flinche or possibilities of stat increases (see for instance Meteor Mash vs. Iron Head or something like that), but at a glance, it's a very useful "tool".
I understand that, though as jordanthejq12 pointed out the benefits of Fire Blast's increased damage becomes miniscule that you might as well just go for Searing Shot's higher chance of burning. While 2 might get you over the edge of knocking out an opponent, 10 definitely would and with an Accuracy over 90 I say its well worth the risk. Ideally I'd be using the move only one, twice, or at most 3 times so unless I'm unlucky the accuracy shouldn't play that big a factor.

I mean, I think the point being made is that we'd rather Victini's signature move be the one based around the letter V that hits for 180 base power rather than a slightly better version of fire blast.
Agreed, or at least have it be able to learn it in addition.

My big issue with Victini's Searing Shot as the "primary" signature move isn't even Searing Shot's similarity to Fire Blast: it's the fact that the move barely feels like something that would be Victini's signature move. Searing Shot seems like something that could have been Heatran's move, considering he hits particularly extreme temperatures. Whereas V-Create... really, what Pokemon could you tie that move to more than/besides Victini? In fact, V-Create isn't technically Victini's Signature move when you get semantic-y since he can't get it in a manner other mons can't (Event only), compared to Palkia being the only thing that gets Spacial Rend by Level up, for example.

Other Opinion: I'm not a fan of the Soul Dew. I understand it's the crux of the Latis' Ubers viability, but it's just such a blatantly OP item concept. It essentially gives boosts from two of the game's most tactical items (Choice Specs and now AV) without the drawbacks meant to balance those items. Even if they're limited to the Latis, no other signature item has that blatant and significant a benefit to the Pokemon: The Creation Trios' orbs only boost their STAB moves, and by a much smaller margin, and depending on how technical you get, the Red and Blue Orbs stat boosts for Groudon and Kyogre (via Primal Reversion), while it arguably makes a bigger competitive difference, is still a bit less blatant since the boosts are spread and they're overall different Pokemon. Every other item or signature item either gives a lesser boost or tradeoff (Gensect's drives, for example), or go to Pokemon with a much greater need for the boost (Marowak is a Glass Cannon anyway, Farfetch'd is a Jokemon, and Pikachu, while OP in the anime and the mascot, is still NFE).

Pokemon shouldn't be based off real-life religions or deity. This just attracts criticism from extremists from people who believe in God (and somehow thinks Pokemon is mocking the God) or people who don't believe in God (and thinks that Pokemon supports this idea so they blindly hate said Pokemon).
Sorry for bringing this conversation up again but I wanted to reply to this.

I've never understood why some people have such a huge problem with religious elements in Pokemon when the series is hardly the first RPG to incorporate those elements into its lore. Nearly every RPG does it, and most do it far more blatantly, like the Elder Scrolls series. Bethesda based the entire lore and backstory of that series off of real life religions and deities and they push it relentlessly. It's completely steeped into every fibre of the series, from the main quests to simple sidequests you can accidentally stumble upon, from the countless in game books detailing things like the creation of the universe and the beings involved in its inception to npcs whose entire purpose is to share some of that lore, like Heimskr standing in the middle of Whiterun and spreading the message of Talos

It's absolutely phenomenal and amazingly well done and Elder Scrolls players love it, I've literally heard no one complaining about it, but Gamefreak try something similar on a much, much, MUCH more smaller scale, in a very half arsed manner frankly, and you have people throwing tantrums over it. I remember when Arceus was first discovered after D/P came out and some people on the Serebii forums being in complete denial about the existence of a creator Pokemon, the meltdowns were glorious to behold.

If something as half arsed as Arceus causes such massive breakdowns in some people, then how the hell would they react to the sort of stuff regularly seen in the Elder Scroll games, or other RPG's for that matter? I genuinely cannot understand the rage and denial in some people, it makes no sense to me. People do realize that none of it is real, right?

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 2, Guests: 7)