Ladder Mix and Mega

I still would like to see some discussion on a No Guard hypnosis suspect. There is absolutely 0 reason to maintain it in the tier, it's outright uncompetitive and you need to have your MB already Mevolved and even than most of them are 2HKO'ed by mew or gengar.
There's a Sleep Clause. You don't need a Magic Bouncer to deal with it. For that matter, if you want to get niche, there's Mewtonite Y: Insomnia will force a Sleeping Pokémon awake if acquired. Switch in on Hypnosis, then wake up and murder it.

And with espeeders getting banned one after another, this thing gets better and better.
There's been 2 Extreme Speed bans. Why are people acting like 2 bans is a lengthy string?

After it gets tested, MAgic bounce needs a test. Once again, it is uncounterable, unpredicatble and discourages things like stealth rocks.
... there's two Mega Stones that provide Mold Breaker. In what way is it "uncounterable"?

thesecondbest

Just Kidding I'm First
2 bans is pretty long considering nothing else got banned in between. Also if I need to run mold breaker on my stealth rock users and toxic users that is pretty damn centralizing. This stone type is unexpected and has the biggest immediate payoff- free hazards.

SpartanMalice

Y'all jokers must be crazy
But if running Mold Breaker was centralizing, one would pose a similar case in BH with its rock-paper-scissors format back in Gen V. Just my 2 cents, I don't believe it's centralizing to run Moldy vs Bouncers and frankly... with the prevalence of sablenite and diancite, it only ups Moldy's viability. I believe it's just a case of countering one ability with another.

thesecondbest

Just Kidding I'm First
Uh no, Smeargle got banned inbetween the bans of Dragonite and Lucario. And there really isn't any other broken Extreme speed users left in the tier (The closest to being broken is Zygarde)
Thats my point. Espeed is a positive centralizing force that stops things like Heliolisk from being broken. But the council bans them anyway. And I mean the council. Literally nobody else said they thought Luke was broken. Now offense runs riot because there is no espeed to counter it.

Da Pizza Man

Pizza Time
is a Pre-Contributor
Thats my point. Espeed is a positive centralizing force that stops things like Heliolisk from being broken. But the council bans them anyway. And I mean the council. Literally nobody else said they thought Luke was broken. Now offense runs riot because there is no espeed to counter it.
There is still plenty of Espeed with Zygarde and Entei around. Also please tell me how the hell having broken spammers of 104 BP Stab moves with +2 Priority is healthy (By broken, I only mean Dragonite and Lucario)

I still would like to see some discussion on a No Guard hypnosis suspect. There is absolutely 0 reason to maintain it in the tier, it's outright uncompetitive and you need to have your MB already Mevolved and even than most of them are 2HKO'ed by mew or gengar.
I'd agree with you, if the opportunity cost weren't quite as high. I agree that it is already very low, but it still comes at a risk. In a way, it's kinda like a fast breloom. Except it's not immune to its own sleep, so it's kinda riskier to run.

G-Luke

Sugar, Spice and One For All
is a Community Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I agree that Heliolisk needs a test.
Wait what? You must be a noob to lose to it!
It caus excessive 50-50s and fits the definition of uncompetitive. I just played a game with this and the only reaon i lost is because my opponent got a 3 turn sleep on my lando and had bullet punch on toxicroak. Who runs that -.-
But besides the point this thing is a beast under webs and forces 50-50s and ate speed. And with espeeders getting banned one after another, this thing gets better and better.
Simple. Glalinite(or whatever its called) Weavile. Fakes out, then shards or even feints. Or Arceus, its sets up and espeeds. And its bulky enough to take a hit at +1. Or RP Primal Groudon. It sets up and fuks it up. Bruh, believe me when I say it has its fair share of checks. Altarianite Zygarde not only checks, but counters the fucker, as it resists or is immune to both stabs, and ohko's it with espeed.

Funbot28

Banned deucer.
Some noms:

: A+ to S

Zygarde is one of the best, if not the best -ate abusers after Lucario's banning. Can use either DD or SubCoil to sweep teams, and is honestly very potent at what it does. It may not be used quite often, but it is a very threatening mon, requiring Refrigirate users to check it.

: A to B-/C+

Honestly do not know why regular Kyogre is ranked so high? P-Don straight up counters it (a mon who is seen alot), and is simply always outclassed by it's primal, due to the fact that it can check P-Don. But either way, it would be optimal to save Blue Orb for something like Ferrothorn or Skarmory, who can use it better.

: A to A-

I just feel that Arcanine is simply outclassed by Entei in every possible way. Although it does have a better movepool, Entei simply has the right stats and the right moves to be effective. A good mon, but is simply a story of being outclassed by a better fire type.

: C to D/Unranked

There is honeslty no reason to use Dragonite, due to the abundance of better DDers and the omnipresent -atespeeders that hold it back. Although it does have a niche in Multiscale, which could still leave it in D-Rank, but right now it is too high imo.

xJownage

Even pendulums swing both ways
I just want to say that I agree with suspecting Heliolisk. I know what you are saying about it, but I feel the people who support it have badly presented the suspect and few of you have been able to gain a subsequent grasp of the possible extent of its uncompetitiveness.

Lets ask ourselves: What is electrify Heliolisk doing? I'll tell you what it does. It renders anything without Mold Breaker, Espeed, or Magic Bounce into useless setup fodder. The ensuing prediction battle with staying in and switching to your counter is a very disadvantageous 50/50. 50/50s aren't necessarily bad, though, right? And can't you just use that argument the other way, since mega evolving is itself a possible 50/50? Well, this 50/50 causes a major problem in the same way Aegislash did; it makes things setup fodder. Literally, if you make the wrong play, its getting to +1, and is pretty powerful and blazingly fast. If it sets up, many teams without Pixilate or Refrigerate will get swept - Heliolisk is quite powerful after a boost or two, resists Aerilate, and has good coverage. Importantly, though, it renders a good portion of mons in this tier basically useless. Sure, it has viable counters, but so did Cresselia; the problem with Cresselia was that it turned anything that couldn't 2hko it into setup fodder. Cress was overcentralizing, but the ban was by FAR unanimous. Without the overcentralization, if counters were possibly a bit more useful, would we have still banned it? Anybody who says they know the answer to this is wrong. Heliolisk is just like Cresselia; it makes a good portion of the tier setup fodder and the rest have to try to stop it, forcing a disadvantageous 50/50 that loses tremendous momentum.

I'm not saying its banworthy right now. I don't even want to SUGGEST that it is truly banworthy at this time. I do think its more than worth a better look at and some outside sources, because it could very well be unhealthy. A formal suspect to determine its capabilities might be necessary. At the moment, I would probably abstain, but I think nobody has looked into this enough for any of us to feel comfortable putting a verdict on it right now.

Sleep has never been uncompetitive, I don't know where you got that idea. Zap Cannon and DynamicPunch put the game solely in the hands of the RNG, and that was what made them TRULY uncompetitive, but Hypnosis, in a tier with sleep clause, pdon, sablenite everything (hi suicune), and tons more, I really don't think it's that hard to handle. Hypnosis is not hard to handle and its not uncompetitive either, since sleep is a perfectly viable strategy that does not put the game in the hands of the RNG.

Didn't you say that you saw no reason for the zap cannon / dynamicpunch ban? If you believe this, you don't know the definition of uncompetitive, since those made the game an RNG battle, while Hypnosis makes it an avoidable RNG battle (A human controlled RNG battle as well, for that matter). Uncompetitiveness means that there is nothing the player can do to avoid the RNG haxing them to death, or hopefully the opponent to death in the case of paraflinch if they break through. You can play around Hypnosis, and many things in the tier can easily stand up to it.

Changes:
A -----> A-
Unranked -----> A-
(Lucarionite, Pinsirite)
Unranked -----> C
(Gyaradosite, Pinsirite, Aerodactylite, Charizardite X)
Unranked -----> B-
(Latiasite, Cameruptite, Diancite, Manectite)
Unranked -----> B-
(Pidgeotite, Blue Orb, Sceptilite, Altarianite)
Unranked -----> B+ (Manectite, Diancite, Absolite, Aggronite)

Mix-and-Mega Viability Rankings!!!!1

That's right, we're doing this again.

S Rank: Reserved for Pokemon that are at the top of mix and mega's metagame. These Pokemon are able to perform a variety of roles very effectively, or can just do one extremely well. Their use has low risk involved and high reward exerted. Pokemon in this rank have very few flaws that are patched up by numerous positive traits. These Pokemon are here as top threats and potential Bans due to using multiple megastones easily or just one very well.

S Rank

Mew
(Ampharosite, Lopunnite, Pidgeotite, Diancite)
Terrakion
(Lucarionite, Diancite, Pinsirite, Lopunnite)
Primal Groudon
(Red orb)

A Rank: Reserved for Pokemon that are fantastic in the Mix-and-Mega metagame, and can sweep, support, or wall significant portions of the metagame. These Pokemon require less support than most others to be used effectively and have few flaws that can easily be overlooked when compared to their positive traits.

A+ Rank

Victini
(Red Orb, Cameruptite, Pidgeotite)
Blissey
(Sablenite, Slowbronite)
Thundurus
(Manectite, Pideotite, Altarianite)
Archeops
(Aerodactylite, Charizardite X, Pinsirite, Salamencite, Lucarionite)
Gengar
(Absolite, Manectite, Diancite, Pidgeotite)
Landorus-T
(Lopunnite, Mewtwonite X, Altarianite, Salamencite)
Manaphy
(Sceptilite, Absolite)
Zygarde
(Altarianite, Pinsirite)
Arceus-Normal

A Rank:

Heatran
(Latiasite, Absolite, Pidgeotite, Red Orb, Altarianite, Cameruptite)
Entei
(Pinsirite, Altarianite, Aerodactylite, Red Orb)
Arcanine
(Salamencite, Altarianite, Banettite, Pinsirite, Red orb)
Gyarados
(Salamencite, Pinsirite, Charizardite X, Blue Orb, Aggronite)
Weavile
(Glalitite, Aerodactylite)
Metagross
(Pinsirite, Aerodactylite, Diancite)
Kyogre

A- Rank:

Mamoswine
(Lucarionite, Glalitite)
Keldeo
(Lucarionite, Blue Orb, Pidgeotite, Absolite, Manectite)
Diggersby
(Medichamite)
Ferrothorn
(Blue Orb)
Kyurem
(Glalitite, Diancite, Aggronite, Absolite, Sablenite, Camerupite, Pinsirite)
Latios
(Altarianite, Sceptilite, Manectite, Absolite, Lucarionite, SoulDew)
Noivern
(Gardevoirite, Pidgeotite, Salamencite)
Suicune
(Aggronite, Slowbronite, Sceptilite, Blue Orb)
Hippowdon
(Red Orb, Sablenite, Slowbronite)
Excadrill
(Lucarionite, Pinsirite)
Zapdos
(Manectite, Pidgeotite, Sablenite, Venusaurite)
Skarmory
(Blue Orb, Venusaurite)
Xerneas

B Rank: Reserved for Pokemon that are great in the Mix-and-Mega metagame. These Pokemon have more notable flaws than those above them that affect how they function in the tier. Their positive traits still outshine their negatives, but they require a bit more team support to bring out their full potential.

B+ Rank

Blaziken
(Blazikenite)
Tornadus
(Pidgeotite)
Tyranitar
(Sharpedonite, Steelixite, Garchompite, Diancite, Pinsirite, Salamencite)
Staraptor
(Lopunnite, Pinsirite, Mewtwonite X, Aerodactylite)
Snorlax
(Banettite, Metagrossite, Altarianite, Salamencite)
Cobalion
(Aerodactylite, Lucarionite, Galladite)
Garchomp
(Gyaradosite, Diancite, Banettite, Scizorite)
Giratina (A)
Togekiss
(Gardevoirite, Aggronite)
Aegislash
Slowking
(Sceptilite, Slowbronite)
Slowbro
(Slowbronite, Aggronite, Sceptilite)
Mewtwo
(Mewtwonite X, Mewtwonite Y)
Gourgeist-Super
(Aggronite)
Hoopa-Unbound (Manectite, Diancite, Absolite, Aggronite)
Jirachi
(Metagrossite, Sceptilite, Ampharosite, Diancite, Manectite, Absolite)
Ho-Oh

B Rank

Kangaskhan
(Kangaskhanite)
Mienshao
(Lopunny, Altarianite, Pinsirite, Aerodactylite)
Porygon-Z
(Diancite, Altarianite, Pidgeotite, Absolite, Manectite)
Latias
(Soul Dew)
Azumarill
(Mawilite, Medichamite)
Rypherior
(Heracronite)
Infernape
(Banettite, Diancite)
Azelf
(Red Orb)
Scizor
(Blue Orb)
Breloom
(Banettite)
Lugia
Volcarona
(Red Orb, Sablenite)
Vaporeon
(Aggronite, Sceptilite, Sablenite)
Meloetta
(Slowbronite, Lopunnite, Manectite)
Yveltal
Genesect
Deoxys Attack
Arceus Ghost

B- Rank

Roserade
(Red Orb, Scizorite, Pidgeotite)
Flygon
(Pinsirite, Altarianite)
Giratina (O)
Salamence
(Salamencite, Pinsirite)
Alakazam
(Pidgeotite, Absolite, Manectite)
Bisharp
(Metagrossite, Lucarionite)
Haxorus
(Gyaradosite, Metagrossite, Aerodactylite)
Shaymin-Sky
Darkrai
Magnezone
Starmie
Rayquaza
Krookodile
(Blue Orb, Altarianite, Diancite)
Milotic
(Sceptilite)
Heliolisk
(Sceptilite, Manectite, Blue Orb)
Kyurem-Black
Kyurem-White
Deoxys Speed

C Rank: Reserved for Pokemon that are mediocre in the Mix-and-Mega metagame, but have just as many notable flaws that prevent them from being effective. Pokemon in the C tier often require significant support to be effective. Pokemon from this rank tend to face a lot of competition with the more commonly used Pokemon. These Pokemon exert a below average presence in the current metagame.

C Rank

Hydreigon
(Blastoisinite, Manectite, Gardevoirite)
Gorebyss
(Banettite)
Conkeldurr
Chandelure
(Red Orb, Cameruptite)
Goodra
(Ampharosite, Gardevoirite)
Dialga
Palkia
Dragonite
Rotom-Wash
(Manectite)
Reshiram
Zekrom
Darmanitan
(Diancite, Pinsirite, Altarianite)
Deoxys Defense

D Rank: Reserved for Pokemon that are mediocre in the Mix-and-Mega metagame, but are viable enough to justify their use on select teams. These Pokemon are either usable but have no real niche, or are only capable of doing their specific task and fail at doing anything more than that. Pokemon from this rank have multiple crippling flaws that prevent them from being successful a majority of the time, and are often severely outclassed because of it.

D Rank

Shaymin
(Lucarionite, Manectite)
Reuniclus
(Cameruptite)
Drifblim
(Banettite)
Diancie
(Altarianite, Diancite)
Cresselia
Greninja
Meganium
(Sablenite, Audinite)
Deoxys Normal
Arceus Steel

''CONCLUSION REACHED'' POKEMON: Pokemon in this list have reached a conclusive ideal ranking, so unless the metagame changes towards them or there is something about them that hasn't been said, discussion about them is disallowed.
  • None
BLACKLISTED POKEMON: Pokemon that are not only unviable in Mix-and-Mega, but also make the thread shitty whenever they are brought up because most people that argue about them getting ranked are inexperienced players using bad arguments.
  • Dewgong
Rules:
  • Post Intelligently. Your argument should consist of the pokemon's effectiveness relative to the tier's threats, and how it fits into a certain ranking.
  • NO flaming over rankings. OM has had an issue before with some arguments getting a little heated, but I will ask a moderator to delete any post containing an argument that is remotely insulting.
  • Usage/how common something is should not be used in your argument. Viability rankings isn't what mons are the most used, its what's the most effective.
  • Eevee General is beautiful. This is an undisputed fact.

Notes

• Thanks to Dr. Phd. BJ, AllJokesAside, Ransei, SpartanMalice, InfernapeTropius11 for helping me do the rankings!
  • All ranks are up for debate atm. Nominate a mon if it is not listed, or nominate movements.
  • Any and all nominations can be rejected for any reason if there is consensus it is a bad nomination.
  • If you nominate a new mon, be sure to include ALL stones it can viably use, unless some stones are very niche in comparison to their ranking.
  • Updates may be slow, please be patient; I will update this in bulk.
Updated.

Nominations:

A- -----> A+
A+ -----> A
S -----> A+
A+ -----> S
A+ -----> A
B+ -----> A
B -----> B+
B+ -----> B-

PUT DOWN YOUR PITCHFORKS AND TORCHES!

Going down the line. Suicune is incredibly effective in this tier, just short of Cresselia level good, and has incredible bulk to abuse. Sablenite has become increasingly good and actually hits pretty hard unboosted, while the burn chance is even more effective in this tier with the rise in physical attackers. I wasn't sold on it before, but then I realized it 6-0s about half of the ladder and popularly used team archetypes.

Archeops no longer hard checks pinsirite lucario, which was one of its biggest niches on offense. While it still checks Entei/Arcanine, they primarily don't run pinsirite, and Archeops is losing some luster with the influx of more fast, powerful attackers.

Speaking of fast, powerful attackers, Terrakion is still very effective, and I will not belittle its remarkable power and speed, but its beginning to have more problems in the post-lucario metagame. Weak to -atespeed, it faces stiff competition from Manaphy, which you wouldn't expect because they are drastically different, however they preform similar hole-punch roles. Primal Don is also a huge problem for it, as is the prevalence of pixispeed, and with these substantial flaws, I feel confident moving it down to A+.

Originally, I wasn't feeling Manaphy, but in this post-Lucario metagame, fast, powerful attackers such as Weavile are becoming more and more common. Manaphy sets up on a lot of these attackers and outspeeds and KOs them; it also checks the aforementioned Weavile, a major threat for offense. With less restriction due to Lucario, Manaphy more easily fits on teams, and as a result, I feel confident moving it to S-rank.

Landorus-T has really lost its luster, especially since offensive pdon preforms its sweeping roles better due to resisting pixispeed and tanking other atespeeds easily. It still has a nice niche and is very effective, but strongly lacks the presence it once had. Its Lopunnite set is not nearly as effective, as a large portion of the tier resists and KOs back. Salamencite struggles with Weavile and the typing is pretty bad without the secondary stab, while Altarianite is heavily competed for by its teammates, and misses some important KOs. Just losing it overall right now.

Tornadus has one of its major concerns gone in Lucario, but the main selling point to me is that its now MUCH easier to fit on teams. We all know how good it is at spamming Hurricane, but its main perk is that it no longer has to compete with Mew. The ban on DynamicPunch / Zap Cannon made Mew a much less viable pidgeotite user, and although it can still use it well, its no longer outclassing Tornadus. Base 190 SpA with STAB Hurricane is astonishingly powerful, and the speed tier is incredibly trolly as mons like Pidgeotite Gengar and many other common base 130s are outsped. I just used it recently and saw how incredible it was; it's incredibly effective atm.

Kangaskhan likes Lucario being gone, and with so many frail attackers around, it still preys on a large portion of the tier for major damage. It is a major nuisance to offense and does work against fat teams, and its surprising bulk is making it more and more splashable.

Aegislash no longer is around to beat Lucario, which was probably its biggest niche at that time, and it is not nearly as good in general. Furthermore, Aggronite Gorgheist outclasses it by a longshot in almost every way, and as a result Aegislash seems to be rendered much less effective for now.

Discuss the changes, and I will update the viability rankings on Saturday if no major objections are consistent enough to change anything. Make sure you playtest these mons if you want to protest on some of the higher ranked mons, or try to build with them, since many of the nominations have to do with how easily they fit on teams. Most importantly of all, have fun!

Some noms:

Zygarde is one of the best, if not the best -ate abusers after Lucario's banning. Can use either DD or SubCoil to sweep teams, and is honestly very potent at what it does. It may not be used quite often, but it is a very threatening mon, requiring Refrigirate users to check it.

Honestly do not know why regular Kyogre is ranked so high? P-Don straight up counters it (a mon who is seen alot), and is simply always outclassed by it's primal, due to the fact that it can check P-Don. But either way, it would be optimal to save Blue Orb for something like Ferrothorn or Skarmory, who can use it better.

I just feel that Arcanine is simply outclassed by Entei in every possible way. Although it does have a better movepool, Entei simply has the right stats and the right moves to be effective. A good mon, but is simply a story of being outclassed by a better fire type.

There is honeslty no reason to use Dragonite, due to the abundance of better DDers and the omnipresent -atespeeders that hold it back. Although it does have a niche in Multiscale, which could still leave it in D-Rank, but right now it is too high imo.
Just saw this.

Zygarde will stay in A+ for now. It lacks a lot of power and can't get past pdon at +1, while it really has problems with stall in general. Its incredibly predictable, leveled off as a sweeper in general - I really don't feel like its all that efficient. I want to see what others say first.

Scarfogre is absolutely INCREDIBLE in this tier; the immediate speed is amazing and it still possesses potent power that can destroy offense. Its high speed allows it to outspeed common fastmons like manaphy and pidgeotite everything and murder them with Water Spout. While Pogre checks pdon, there are many mons that do this easily and I don't feel that pogre is near as effective as scarfogre; they preform different roles anyways.

Arcanine is in no way an inferior Entei. It has significantly better coverage with close combat, allowing it to get past Blue Orb Ferrothorn. It has recovery, which helps against stall and in longer matches, especially ones where hazards are omnipresent. And intimidate, one of the greatest utilities for an already great utility mon, gives it many more chances to check threats. No, not an inferior Entei, in fact, I think Entei is inferior if either are.

I see the point with Dragonite, since its pretty much pointless, but I'll ask you to remind me when I update things on Saturday. I already closed out of things and don't want to go back now. It's not really a big deal anyways.

Last edited:

xJownage

Can you give reasons why Hoopa-U is B+?
After extensive playtesting and watching others use it, I found out its just not that good. It murders stall, but I rarely found it getting more than 1 kill on offense - hell, I rarely found it getting ANY kills on the ladder and in tournament play. It looks amazing on paper, but its stabs lack the raw power to net OHKOs when it needs them, and its atrocious typing is still easy to take advantage of even after mega evolving to improve it. Overall, its just a bit lacking in my experience.

I've really enjoyed this meta, and I made an account just to post this. With lucario gone, I see the meta shifting towards bulkier setup sweepers that can be very hard to stop due to their speed, power and frequent use of magic bounce. I found a nice little niche set that can force them out.

Pangoro with banettite gives you priority parting shot. This may sound OK, but when manaphy gets to +3 in one turn, it seems to come up short. The hidden trick of parting shot is that when it hits magic bounce, it's rejected back at the user, who takes the stat drop, while the opponent is randomly switched. This has saved me against calm mind blisseys and absol manaphys.

I'm on mobile, so I will leave most of the theorymoning to others, but I use some thing like project, drain punch, sub, parting shot. Obviously dies to pixelated speed.

Edit: Just to add to that, it also gets stuff like taunt, SD, bulk up, toxic, and even entertainment or torment if you want to mess with heliosk or catch espeeders on switch.
I should note that Magic Bounced Parting Shot lets the targeted player choose which Pokemon they're forced to switch in.

I harshly disagree in calling sleep an avoidable RNG battle. Sleep is as much RNG based as paralysis, with it's variable turns for sleeping. Gengar and mew act pretty much as darkrai in OU but with better stats , typing and and movepool. For even having a chance to stop it you have to already have mega'ed your magic bouncer, this way most of the times it can just come early in match and put something to sleep. Also there aren't much things that aren't 2hko'ed by gengar or mew. And btw how actually is P-don checking hypnosis?

a little flowchart showing how easy is to play hypnosis on a fast and powerful poke:
2.jpg

Last edited:
I harshly disagree in calling sleep an avoidable RNG battle. Sleep is as much RNG based as paralysis, with it's variable turns for sleeping. Gengar and mew act pretty much as darkrai in OU but with better stats , typing and and movepool. For even having a chance to stop it you have to already have mega'ed your magic bouncer, this way most of the times it can just come early in match and put something to sleep. Also there aren't much things that aren't 2hko'ed by gengar or mew. And btw how actually is P-don checking hypnosis?

a little flowchart showing how easy is to play hypnosis on a fast and powerful poke:
View attachment 46566
Hypnosis itself isn't broken. Gengar and mew themselves are already great pokemon and arguably banworthy. If this breaks either it's simply a case of the straw that broke the camel's back, in which case the mons would be banned(precedent shows that things like aegislash were banned despite being the only pokemon to have KS. Also the only other semi-viable pokemon with hypnosis that can abuse this is crobat, who isn't the greatest with pidgeotite.)

With a sleep clause in place, it's not a problem. Pidgeotite jolteon can do it nearly as well as gengar just with sing, and then it t just thunders everything to death, while getting shadow ball and work up.

If anything, it gives people a use for meoteonite Y.

Don't you hate it when you haven't commented on a thread in so long that you don't get any notifications anymore? :(

Hypnosis is not RNG, it's not uncompetitive. If sleep clause did not exist it would be uncompetitive, but as it stands now it's not uncompetitive, nor is it particularly broken.

I agree that Heliolisk needs a test.
Wait what? You must be a noob to lose to it!
It caus excessive 50-50s and fits the definition of uncompetitive. I just played a game with this and the only reaon i lost is because my opponent got a 3 turn sleep on my lando and had bullet punch on toxicroak. Who runs that -.-
But besides the point this thing is a beast under webs and forces 50-50s and ate speed. And with espeeders getting banned one after another, this thing gets better and better. After it gets tested, MAgic bounce needs a test. Once again, it is uncounterable, unpredicatble and discourages things like stealth rocks.
Show me three, high ladder replays of this working successfully. It's a gimmick, it's the most gimmicky gimmick in the history of gimmicks. As gimmicky as Shedinja is in regular plays, if you don't prepare for it you'll lose to it, but any good player can play around it pretty easily. And yes, it has pretty effective list of things it can handle, but it dies to priority, status, isn't particulary powerful without a boost so you're free to switch pretty carelessly around on it, I mean...

252 SpA Heliolisk Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Primal Kyogre: 174-206 (43 - 50.9%) -- 4.7% chance to 2HKO

Albeit it's a bit more powerful after mega evolving, my point still stands. Zygarde switches into it pretty easily, for free after Mega evolving. Primal don can set up a rock polish on it. Weavile outspeeds and kills. So many things to use with Sceptilite, why would you waste it on a hilioisk? But I'm now all knowing, that was just my 2 cents, show me three replays.

2 bans is pretty long considering nothing else got banned in between. Also if I need to run mold breaker on my stealth rock users and toxic users that is pretty damn centralizing. This stone type is unexpected and has the biggest immediate payoff- free hazards.
We're not banning three stones, magic bounce is useless against any offensive mon anyways.

The Lucario suspect lasted multiple days, you had more than enough time to discuss it. The only notable person I remember actually discussion Lucario was MaestroDeSWAG :)

Some noms:

Zygarde should go to S, a lot of people will be looking for something to replace Lucario with, and Zygarde will nicely fit that role. It's bulky, powerful. Only thing keeping it in check is that it's not very diverse and lacks coverage for things like Skarmory and Ferrothorn, both of which wall it.

Kyogre shouldn't be ranked. Only role that's not outclassed by Primal Kyogre is choice scarf and that gives free switch in to Raikou, Groudon, Hippowdown, Roserade. All pokemon that you should not be giving free switches in. It should be D rank, scarf is ass and I'd rather use Pidgeotite Keldeo so I'm not giving an S rank a free switch in every single time I switch in is awful. Not that it can do anything to any relevant stall mon, or that offence can't outspeed it or handle it. Modest base 90 hits 418, not that fast versus offence when you got things like Glalite Weavile running around, and Absolite Manaphy.

Arcanine should be the exact same rank as Entei in my opinion, atleast until somebody compares them closely together.

Dragonite unranked, yeah. No niche there, Rayquaza does it better.

I just want to say that I agree with suspecting Heliolisk. I know what you are saying about it, but I feel the people who support it have badly presented the suspect and few of you have been able to gain a subsequent grasp of the possible extent of its uncompetitiveness.

Lets ask ourselves: What is electrify Heliolisk doing? I'll tell you what it does. It renders anything without Mold Breaker, Espeed, or Magic Bounce into useless setup fodder. The ensuing prediction battle with staying in and switching to your counter is a very disadvantageous 50/50. 50/50s aren't necessarily bad, though, right? And can't you just use that argument the other way, since mega evolving is itself a possible 50/50? Well, this 50/50 causes a major problem in the same way Aegislash did; it makes things setup fodder. Literally, if you make the wrong play, its getting to +1, and is pretty powerful and blazingly fast. If it sets up, many teams without Pixilate or Refrigerate will get swept - Heliolisk is quite powerful after a boost or two, resists Aerilate, and has good coverage. Importantly, though, it renders a good portion of mons in this tier basically useless. Sure, it has viable counters, but so did Cresselia; the problem with Cresselia was that it turned anything that couldn't 2hko it into setup fodder. Cress was overcentralizing, but the ban was by FAR unanimous. Without the overcentralization, if counters were possibly a bit more useful, would we have still banned it? Anybody who says they know the answer to this is wrong. Heliolisk is just like Cresselia; it makes a good portion of the tier setup fodder and the rest have to try to stop it, forcing a disadvantageous 50/50 that loses tremendous momentum.

I'm not saying its banworthy right now. I don't even want to SUGGEST that it is truly banworthy at this time. I do think its more than worth a better look at and some outside sources, because it could very well be unhealthy. A formal suspect to determine its capabilities might be necessary. At the moment, I would probably abstain, but I think nobody has looked into this enough for any of us to feel comfortable putting a verdict on it right now.

Sleep has never been uncompetitive, I don't know where you got that idea. Zap Cannon and DynamicPunch put the game solely in the hands of the RNG, and that was what made them TRULY uncompetitive, but Hypnosis, in a tier with sleep clause, pdon, sablenite everything (hi suicune), and tons more, I really don't think it's that hard to handle. Hypnosis is not hard to handle and its not uncompetitive either, since sleep is a perfectly viable strategy that does not put the game in the hands of the RNG.

Didn't you say that you saw no reason for the zap cannon / dynamicpunch ban? If you believe this, you don't know the definition of uncompetitive, since those made the game an RNG battle, while Hypnosis makes it an avoidable RNG battle (A human controlled RNG battle as well, for that matter). Uncompetitiveness means that there is nothing the player can do to avoid the RNG haxing them to death, or hopefully the opponent to death in the case of paraflinch if they break through. You can play around Hypnosis, and many things in the tier can easily stand up to it.

Changes:
A -----> A-
Unranked -----> A-
(Lucarionite, Pinsirite)
Unranked -----> C
Unranked -----> B-
Unranked -----> B-
Unranked -----> B+ (Manectite, Diancite, Absolite, Aggronite)

Updated.

Nominations:

A- -----> A+
A+ -----> A
S -----> A+
A+ -----> S
A+ -----> A
B+ -----> A
B -----> B+
B+ -----> B-

PUT DOWN YOUR PITCHFORKS AND TORCHES!

Going down the line. Suicune is incredibly effective in this tier, just short of Cresselia level good, and has incredible bulk to abuse. Sablenite has become increasingly good and actually hits pretty hard unboosted, while the burn chance is even more effective in this tier with the rise in physical attackers. I wasn't sold on it before, but then I realized it 6-0s about half of the ladder and popularly used team archetypes.

Archeops no longer hard checks pinsirite lucario, which was one of its biggest niches on offense. While it still checks Entei/Arcanine, they primarily don't run pinsirite, and Archeops is losing some luster with the influx of more fast, powerful attackers.

Speaking of fast, powerful attackers, Terrakion is still very effective, and I will not belittle its remarkable power and speed, but its beginning to have more problems in the post-lucario metagame. Weak to -atespeed, it faces stiff competition from Manaphy, which you wouldn't expect because they are drastically different, however they preform similar hole-punch roles. Primal Don is also a huge problem for it, as is the prevalence of pixispeed, and with these substantial flaws, I feel confident moving it down to A+.

Originally, I wasn't feeling Manaphy, but in this post-Lucario metagame, fast, powerful attackers such as Weavile are becoming more and more common. Manaphy sets up on a lot of these attackers and outspeeds and KOs them; it also checks the aforementioned Weavile, a major threat for offense. With less restriction due to Lucario, Manaphy more easily fits on teams, and as a result, I feel confident moving it to S-rank.

Landorus-T has really lost its luster, especially since offensive pdon preforms its sweeping roles better due to resisting pixispeed and tanking other atespeeds easily. It still has a nice niche and is very effective, but strongly lacks the presence it once had. Its Lopunnite set is not nearly as effective, as a large portion of the tier resists and KOs back. Salamencite struggles with Weavile and the typing is pretty bad without the secondary stab, while Altarianite is heavily competed for by its teammates, and misses some important KOs. Just losing it overall right now.

Tornadus has one of its major concerns gone in Lucario, but the main selling point to me is that its now MUCH easier to fit on teams. We all know how good it is at spamming Hurricane, but its main perk is that it no longer has to compete with Mew. The ban on DynamicPunch / Zap Cannon made Mew a much less viable pidgeotite user, and although it can still use it well, its no longer outclassing Tornadus. Base 190 SpA with STAB Hurricane is astonishingly powerful, and the speed tier is incredibly trolly as mons like Pidgeotite Gengar and many other common base 130s are outsped. I just used it recently and saw how incredible it was; it's incredibly effective atm.

Kangaskhan likes Lucario being gone, and with so many frail attackers around, it still preys on a large portion of the tier for major damage. It is a major nuisance to offense and does work against fat teams, and its surprising bulk is making it more and more splashable.

Aegislash no longer is around to beat Lucario, which was probably its biggest niche at that time, and it is not nearly as good in general. Furthermore, Aggronite Gorgheist outclasses it by a longshot in almost every way, and as a result Aegislash seems to be rendered much less effective for now.

Discuss the changes, and I will update the viability rankings on Saturday if no major objections are consistent enough to change anything. Make sure you playtest these mons if you want to protest on some of the higher ranked mons, or try to build with them, since many of the nominations have to do with how easily they fit on teams. Most importantly of all, have fun!

Just saw this.

Zygarde will stay in A+ for now. It lacks a lot of power and can't get past pdon at +1, while it really has problems with stall in general. Its incredibly predictable, leveled off as a sweeper in general - I really don't feel like its all that efficient. I want to see what others say first.

Scarfogre is absolutely INCREDIBLE in this tier; the immediate speed is amazing and it still possesses potent power that can destroy offense. Its high speed allows it to outspeed common fastmons like manaphy and pidgeotite everything and murder them with Water Spout. While Pogre checks pdon, there are many mons that do this easily and I don't feel that pogre is near as effective as scarfogre; they preform different roles anyways.

Arcanine is in no way an inferior Entei. It has significantly better coverage with close combat, allowing it to get past Blue Orb Ferrothorn. It has recovery, which helps against stall and in longer matches, especially ones where hazards are omnipresent. And intimidate, one of the greatest utilities for an already great utility mon, gives it many more chances to check threats. No, not an inferior Entei, in fact, I think Entei is inferior if either are.

I see the point with Dragonite, since its pretty much pointless, but I'll ask you to remind me when I update things on Saturday. I already closed out of things and don't want to go back now. It's not really a big deal anyways.
Hoopa in B+ is a bit low? killing everything in on stall with one set is pretty breathtaking.

Disagree with Suicune going higher than A-, red orb give it 4MMS hard.
Archenops is fine moving down
Terrakion is fine moving down
Yes, move Manaphy up
Yes, move Landorus-Therian down
Sure, move Tornadus up
Kangaskhan is amazing in this metagame, I love it so much, being able to revenge kill weakened -ates is great.

I agree with most of what you say, Kyogre should not be going to A. That's really, really overselling it. It has one set, scarf. It's completely predictable and can easily be taken advantage off by Primal Groudon, Roserade, Raikou and Hippowdown. Primal Kyogre outclasses every other set it has and scarf is awful, I'd rather use Pidgeotite Keldeo.

I'm not even going to comment on that, AllJokesAside.

Anyways, xJownage, I think archeops still deserves an A+, just due to its incredible offensive capabilities. It lost lucario, but it kept the rest of the meta, lol. Salamencite gives it a decent (-ish) defensive presence too, which is kinda funny, imo. I completely agree with the rest of those for now, tho I do think hoopa may turn out to be way worse than that. It doesn't do well against offense, but that's just not what it's for. Basically, it pressures stall enough to render it unviable, or just completely adapt to counter it. And still get destroyed. It could be an issue for sure, though I've seen surprisingly few on the ladder.

Edit: as per heliolisk, I don't think it's broken, but it does deserve a suspect. That's just basically the epitome of uncompetitive. It's so trolly- whoever came up with it, I kinda applaud you, and kinda hate you XD

Hypnosis is not RNG, it's not uncompetitive. If sleep clause did not exist it would be uncompetitive, but as it stands now it's not uncompetitive, nor is it particularly broken.
How exactly is Sleep not RNG? RNG = random number generator (this way RNG is when it's called the function random() or randint() ) ; sleep is a random counter created between 1-3 (by calling randint(1,3) ) that subtracts by 1 every turn and prevents the pokemon from moving while the counter is different than 0. Sleep being RNG based is a fact, there is no way to say otherwise. Saying that there is a sleep clause and this way it shouldn't be banned is not enough, no one even tried to mention a half decent check to it :/ remembering that sableite blissey need to run twave and gengar can just use substitute anyway. Gengar and mew act just like darkrai in OU, and darkrai was banned from it for a 85% sleep move, even with the sleep clause. Also this tier is much more OU based than Uber based in it's rules: you can see that from baton pass clauses (which I still it think was implemented without any discussion). Thus, banning a 100%acc sleep move on a mon that 2hkoes and outspeeds all unMega'ed metagame makes a lot of sense. Saying that mewtwonite Y is a good answer to it is mehh because it gives bad stats ( +10 speed probably will make you be outspeed by gengar unless you put it on tornadus-t or faster :/), and probably won't avoid the 2hko from shadow ball or fblast, also you need to OHKO gengar with it, otherwise it koes you first with it's 195spa. Making mewtwonite Y only niche checking gengar and doing it badly.

I don't see the reason not to ban heliolisk + sceptilite, it's just a bad gimmick as is swagplay. It's not wonderful but you have to run specific checks to it as it can run toxic + protect + electrify to avoid set up sweepers and be douche till all your checks to it die slowly :/

xJownage

Hoopa in B+ is a bit low? killing everything in on stall with one set is pretty breathtaking.

Disagree with Suicune going higher than A-, red orb give it 4MMS hard.
Archenops is fine moving down
Terrakion is fine moving down
Yes, move Manaphy up
Yes, move Landorus-Therian down
Sure, move Tornadus up
Kangaskhan is amazing in this metagame, I love it so much, being able to revenge kill weakened -ates is great.

I agree with most of what you say, Kyogre should not be going to A. That's really, really overselling it. It has one set, scarf. It's completely predictable and can easily be taken advantage off by Primal Groudon, Roserade, Raikou and Hippowdown. Primal Kyogre outclasses every other set it has and scarf is awful, I'd rather use Pidgeotite Keldeo.
For Hoopa, we rate mons on their physical effectiveness in any given battle; this is the same reason that gothitelle isn't A+ in Ubers. If the ladder was dominated by stall, or teams Hoopa is very effective against, then it would be higher. As of now, we know offense is the most common and highly used playstyle, and in an average ladder battle, hoopa is not that effective. TBH if I wanted to rank it based on what I have seen it would be B- or C, not B+.

Suicune may be hardwalled by red orb users, but there are a lot of lures nowadays for red orb users like groudon and hippowdon (specially based supportdon is really fucking good), and once these are out of the way Suicune sweeps almost everything in the metagame. Setup is becoming less and less common, and as a result things are going downhill.

Kyogre is not going to A, it already is in A, and this is for good reason. It has one set that is completely predictable but has amazing utility because of the immediate speed, decent bulk, and great power. Its predictable, but that doesn't mean it doesn't revenge 3/4s of the tier. You say you hate scarf and think its ass, which means you obviously have not used it, especially on the ladder. Timid Scarfogre revenges half of the tier, and ice beam does nice chip damage to red orb users. After using it for a couple weeks in almost every battle, I have a pretty good grasp on what it does, so go use it before you argue theorymon with me.

As for Zygarde, it has to be said: People didn't even want to rank LUCARIO S-rank when we first started, however we realized it was substantially better than the other espeeders, and in order to represent this difference we decided to rank it in S-rank. My question to you: Is Zygarde as good as lucario? Is it truly better than standard Ekiller? According to what happened with the suspect on Lucario, I don't think either of these questions can be answered yes.

Sablenite Reuniclus is not allowed 30 Speed - 30 Speed = 0 Speed
Cameruptite Ferrothorn is allowed 20 Speed - 20 Speed = 0 Speed

Which one is wrong?
"- Reuniclus does not have enough Speed to hold Sablenite."

SpartanMalice

Y'all jokers must be crazy
^ They are both accurate. If a stat goes to 0 and below, or above 255, the user will be unable to activate the stone.

To wit:

"Any Pokemon that ends up below 1, or above 255, in a stat from a given Mega Evolution/Primal Reversion's modifications is barred from using that Mega Stone/Orb. For instance, Shuckle is barred from Sablenite, both because it would raise its Defense/Sp. Defense above 255 and because it would end up with negative Speed."

Pikachuun

the entire waruda machine
Sablenite Reuniclus is not allowed 30 Speed - 30 Speed = 0 Speed
Cameruptite Ferrothorn is allowed 20 Speed - 20 Speed = 0 Speed

Which one is wrong?
"- Reuniclus does not have enough Speed to hold Sablenite."
Tagging Slayer95 to fix the second case you listed if he hasn't already

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)