(Little) Things that annoy you in Pokémon

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
The cynical part of me thinks GameFreak intentionally cuts some corners in their games, so that the next game will always look better. At the start of every generation, the games are bare-bones with next to no post game. But because there are new Pokémon and a new region in it, it will still sell. Great novelty factor, after all, but not something you will play for months on end. Then the players get bored of it just in time for the next game to be announced, and everybody gets hyped for that. If the next game is a remake, nostalgia will sell it by itself. However, the post-game is intentionally cut back on, so that players will get hyped for the next game again, which is like the first one but with several added features. The next game after that is usually the first game of a new generation again, which sells because of all the new Pokémon, so cutting post-game content doesn't hurt it.

Bottom line - GameFreak makes sure never to outdo its next game, because if they kept raising the bar, making new games would be much more demanding and expensive.

Doesn't Masuda method go by country, not language?
It goes by the language tag in the corner, which you don't see for the language you're playing in. (you don't see the ENG tag if you're playing in English for example) So if you choose to start a game in French, even in say Japan, your Pokemon will have the FRE tag even if an egg you bred is hatched by someone playing in English.

Due to the lack of a Friend Safari in ORAS, as well as the fact that Baby Pokémon no longer get three perfect IVs by default, it's extremely difficult to get good IVs. Not to mention that the only places you can get a Destiny Knot are by winning a Master Rank Contest, getting lucky with Pickup (infinitesimal chance between levels 50-100) or beating up on the young couple in Sea Mauville, breeding is difficult. No wonder my Maison team is Terrakion, Azelf, and Mesprit.

The cynical part of me thinks GameFreak intentionally cuts some corners in their games, so that the next game will always look better. At the start of every generation, the games are bare-bones with next to no post game. But because there are new Pokémon and a new region in it, it will still sell. Great novelty factor, after all, but not something you will play for months on end. Then the players get bored of it just in time for the next game to be announced, and everybody gets hyped for that. If the next game is a remake, nostalgia will sell it by itself. However, the post-game is intentionally cut back on, so that players will get hyped for the next game again, which is like the first one but with several added features. The next game after that is usually the first game of a new generation again, which sells because of all the new Pokémon, so cutting post-game content doesn't hurt it.

Bottom line - GameFreak makes sure never to outdo its next game, because if they kept raising the bar, making new games would be much more demanding and expensive.
I don't think it's them holding back. Let's just consider the Original Game and Third/Sequel Game dynamic we've had. Knowing how much time it takes to develop Pokemon (I mean see how long it takes us to finish CAP projects and we haven't even made one generation of Pokemon yet), I'm certain that the majority of the time for the original game is spent developing the new Pokemon and the third/sequel game is them adding things they didn't have time for or didn't think of adding at the time. Of course, the former could have been done if they spent more time, but the latter is something that is always a nice surprise/add-on. I mean I'm certain Gamefreak wasn't planning the first Battle Frontier or the PWT. The expansion of the Sinnoh Dex was probably a response to complaints and thus new teams were made as well.

I think they are still almost pressured to release things the way they are too rather than waiting to make a new version. Look just at E3 to hear how people were complaining that a third version WASN'T announced, and I don't think I need to say anything about "Hoenn Confirmed". I feel that Game Freak doesn't have much of a choice to deviate when it comes to making fans happy.

Starting all the way back with the first versions they were making third versions to fix major glitches (Blue) and capture the anime hype (Yellow). Crystal was made to be the more enhanced remake of Gold and Silver (it was a GBC only game and had the ability to use more RAM and processing power than the original games). Crystal probably had all of GF's desires that they couldn't do in GBC games that could run on the original GB. By the time Gen III came along some people were probably already expecting the third versions and that's why we have Pokemon Emerald. And now it's just going crazier and crazier to the point that we get MAD when Game Freak doesn't announce anything yet.

I do wonder if they were planning things for Rayquaza, Giratina, Kyurem, and Zygarde before they made the third versions. I'm pretty certain by that point in their game making careers that Kyurem and Zygarde had overarching background stories about what they are and what they plan to do with them (whether Black/White Kyurem was what they were originally planning with Kyurem is up to anyone's questions). However, Rayquaza could have survived just as well as most of the other non-Kyogre and Groudon legendaries without a whole story around it. Giratina could have survived too especially since there were so many legendaries in the game. If it wasn't for Giratina's stats being the same as the other cover legendaries there would have been no one questioning its story.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
No, but the one time they did try to implement it they did so poorly. Only a couple levels higher, important trainers may carry an extra Pokemon in their teams, and may carry a move that's super-effective against the obvious counter, (Roxie's extra carries Mud Slap for Magnemite) and you have to know someone who's already beaten Black 2 to unlock it for you. I'm sure many casual players didn't even know about the Assist/Challenge modes until they beat the game when it unlocks for the respective games and forgot about it soon after.

As for the Frontier, I probably wouldn't mind its absence as much if they didn't tease it in the Battle Resort. Not quite sure how Mega Evolution would be implemented in the Pyramid (no outside items and Rayquaza has always been banned from battle facilities) and Palace... (can't select the Pokemon's move for the turn) But the most likely reason for not putting it in is we're not done yet with Gen 6, thus they don't want to put in all the stops and be forced to come up with even more to encourage people to buy the new game that will tide us over until they're ready to start the Gen 7 hype train.

I assume we're not able to change the language in the Gen 6 games to keep us from doing the Masuda method breeding with just the Pokemon from our game. What other reason would a kid want to change the language after they start the game?
Then they'll get better? I imagine the problem with a challenge difficulty is exactly where do you stop. We say increase the levels, give them more Pokemon, give their Pokemon better moves and items. But how much should levels be increased and should all their Pokemon receive the equal level increase? How many more Pokemon should trainers get and which trainers should get how many Pokemon (like we do we give all the bosses (Gym Leaders, Elite Four, Champion, Villain Admins, Villain Bosses) 6 Pokemon)? What moves and items should they get, should the moves and items just be "basic" upgrades (moves that cover weaknesses & type power-up/gimmick helping/berry items) or "advanced" sets (competition/Battle Facility teams)? There's also other ways to supply difficulty such as limiting the player. Can players only use as many Pokemon as the Gym Leader/Elite Four (if they have less than 6)? Should the player be unable to use healing items/power-up items (and/or should bosses have more of these items and of which ones? Maybe have some even use Revives)? Maybe the players should have a level cap or their Pokemon levels would be decreased when facing a Gym Leader/Elite Four/Champion. Heck, for the villain team should they be able to maybe cheat in some way? Like maybe they'll have infinite PP, be able to boost one of their Pokemon stats, or be able to cure them of status ailments. Why not? They're villains. But let's not even go down that quagmire. My point is that just because it didn't work the first time that doesn't mean they should never do it again, they just need to get better at it and go more further than they went before.

Hmm, I imagine they would maybe need to rework some rules, like allowing Mega Stones for the Battle Pyramid and some Pokemon who instinctually Mega Evolve. I suppose they could add the Gen III Battle Frontier to XY2 (all the Frontier Brains were adults so none of them wouldn't look like they age that much... though Spenser would be getting up there in years) but it would be strange and feel like they're "apologizing" for it not being in ORAS. Though I do wonder what they'll do with the Battle Tower and the Battle Maison.

I guess it'll sort of make a Masuda method easy to do... if they hadn't already done that with the GTS and Wonder Trade. As for why someone would want to switch between languages, maybe for fun? Maybe because they speak multiple languages? Maybe they're learning a new language and maybe if they play the game in that language it'll help them remember it? Or maybe some people are just curious what the game would be like in another language or want to see the different names for stuff in other languages (yes there's Bulbapedia but doing it in the game just makes it feel personal).

I sometimes wonder that too. As you said I think they may purposely decide to focus on developing the base for the first paired games in a new generation and any big idea they have they may weigh whether they can easily do or should they hold it off for the third game. However should this logic really apply to the remake games too when they're not going to get third/sequel versions?

With all this said, if they couldn't do the Battle Frontier I would have liked to at least battle the Frontier Brains in normal battles. Like we battle them as normal trainers before they become Frontier Brains, they'll use trainer classes the only way you'd know its them is their name and dialogue (and maybe team). They could have replaced those extra Type experts with them, had them be random challenges in the Battle Maison, or even hid them around Hoenn during the post game.

I imagine these would be their normal trainer classes:

Noland: Collector
Greta: Battle Girl
Tucker: Dragon Tamer
Lucy: Delinquent
Spenser: Expert
Brandon: Ruin Maniac
Anabel: If they don't make a female Psychic then Hex Maniac

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Due to the lack of a Friend Safari in ORAS, as well as the fact that Baby Pokémon no longer get three perfect IVs by default, it's extremely difficult to get good IVs. Not to mention that the only places you can get a Destiny Knot are by winning a Master Rank Contest, getting lucky with Pickup (infinitesimal chance between levels 50-100) or beating up on the young couple in Sea Mauville, breeding is difficult. No wonder my Maison team is Terrakion, Azelf, and Mesprit.
Did they really get rid of the 3 IV thing for baby Pokemon? I don't remember anybody mentioning that anywhere.

Also the bolded part made me chuckle. I imagined it as a 12-year-old beating up a pair of adults with his bare hands.

Did they really get rid of the 3 IV thing for baby Pokemon? I don't remember anybody mentioning that anywhere.

Also the bolded part made me chuckle. I imagined it as a 12-year-old beating up a pair of adults with his bare hands.
They did. I've caught a Magby on... whatever Mirage Spot it can be found in, and it didn't have 3 perfect IV's.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
I don't think it's them holding back. Let's just consider the Original Game and Third/Sequel Game dynamic we've had. Knowing how much time it takes to develop Pokemon (I mean see how long it takes us to finish CAP projects and we haven't even made one generation of Pokemon yet), I'm certain that the majority of the time for the original game is spent developing the new Pokemon and the third/sequel game is them adding things they didn't have time for or didn't think of adding at the time. Of course, the former could have been done if they spent more time, but the latter is something that is always a nice surprise/add-on. I mean I'm certain Gamefreak wasn't planning the first Battle Frontier or the PWT. The expansion of the Sinnoh Dex was probably a response to complaints and thus new teams were made as well.
Well... for a start, I'm not buying that they keep removing Gym Leader rematches or buffed Elite Four teams because of "lack of time". All the necessary code for that was written for Gen. III, and coming up with new teams takes an afternoon for one designer. Daily events or postgame battle facilities are well-implemented features in previous Pokémon games already, and would not take too much effort to code into the base games of a generation. They would, however, rob the "third version" of some critical selling points if implemented in the base games.

Well... for a start, I'm not buying that they keep removing Gym Leader rematches or buffed Elite Four teams because of "lack of time". All the necessary code for that was written for Gen. III, and coming up with new teams takes an afternoon for one designer. Daily events or postgame battle facilities are well-implemented features in previous Pokémon games already, and would not take too much effort to code into the base games of a generation. They would, however, rob the "third version" of some critical selling points if implemented in the base games.
I prefer not to think of OR/AS since it seems like they were trying their hardest to avoid new features that they put INTO Pokemon Emerald (like said Gym Leader rematches and the Battle Frontier). The original BW seemed way too story based to have those sorts of "distractions" so while I don't excuse it, it has a sort of "experimental"-styled excuse for it. I have a bad feeling that part of the reason there was no Battle Frontier in some of the games (like DP) might be because they didn't think of what to do for it or that it was actually that popular. Maybe they wanted it to be unique but couldn't think of the different facilities for it and, as the lack of Mega Flygon tells us, if they can't make it "perfect" they cut it completely.

I don't prefer to think of them as malicious, but instead stupid. Something like they are trying to do their best but they aren't sure about what really succeeds. Something like not knowing what to do when they remove the Safari Zone and people complain about it.

I honestly think they didn't have enough time for ORAS and that's why it turned out like that: I remember a ingame programmer telling that he only could improve the loading times (maybe someone remembers that?) Considering everything, this isn't much...

NoCheese

"Jack, you have debauched my sloth!"
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
the only places you can get a Destiny Knot are by winning a Master Rank Contest, getting lucky with Pickup (infinitesimal chance between levels 50-100) or beating up on the young couple in Sea Mauville
It's probably easiest to get one by playing the "Graffiti Eraser" game in the online PokeMileage Club.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
I prefer not to think of OR/AS since it seems like they were trying their hardest to avoid new features that they put INTO Pokemon Emerald (like said Gym Leader rematches and the Battle Frontier). The original BW seemed way too story based to have those sorts of "distractions" so while I don't excuse it, it has a sort of "experimental"-styled excuse for it. I have a bad feeling that part of the reason there was no Battle Frontier in some of the games (like DP) might be because they didn't think of what to do for it or that it was actually that popular. Maybe they wanted it to be unique but couldn't think of the different facilities for it and, as the lack of Mega Flygon tells us, if they can't make it "perfect" they cut it completely.

I don't prefer to think of them as malicious, but instead stupid. Something like they are trying to do their best but they aren't sure about what really succeeds. Something like not knowing what to do when they remove the Safari Zone and people complain about it.
Kind of odd they didn't have a Battle Frontier from Gen V. I wonder if its because they couldn't figure out a way to incorporate the Battle Subway or at least so that it's in the same area (though personally I would have just extended Anville Town so, while the Battle Subway isn't in the same location it'll still be connected in someway).

Anyway I can't really blame them for cutting something if they aren't sure they can do it as good as it could be. To be fair the Battle Frontier is an entire new area and they would have to at the very least make 7 new areas worth of graphics. That model of the Battle Tower in the Battle Resort could have very well been what was leftover of what they had "finished" before realizing they wouldn't have time.

BUT I'll have a feeling had they initially planned to include all the Emerald Content they may have had time to put it in. As I said I think they solely focused on remaking and re-imagining Ruby & Sapphire for whatever reason (of course the stuff I mentioned didn't have anything to do with the story so they can't use that as an excuse). At the very least let us re-battle the Gym Leaders, like we can re-battle the Elite Four, Champion, and the remaining "type masters" at the Battle Resort yet the original 8 "type masters" we initially battled aren't? They even appear on in our Trainer's Eye as if we'll be able to re-battle them!

Reactions: JES
I imagine these would be their normal trainer classes:

Noland: Collector
Greta: Battle Girl
Tucker: Dragon Tamer
Lucy: Delinquent
Spenser: Expert
Brandon: Ruin Maniac
Anabel: If they don't make a female Psychic then Hex Maniac
Or even just ditch the Chatelaines and use four of these in their replacements. I like Lucy, Brandon, Noland, and Tucker myself.

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Kind of odd they didn't have a Battle Frontier from Gen V. I wonder if its because they couldn't figure out a way to incorporate the Battle Subway or at least so that it's in the same area (though personally I would have just extended Anville Town so, while the Battle Subway isn't in the same location it'll still be connected in someway).
Probably because we got the Pokemon World Tournament as the 'post-game battle facility' (also the Black Tower / White Treehollow)

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Or even just ditch the Chatelaines and use four of these in their replacements. I like Lucy, Brandon, Noland, and Tucker myself.
The only one who would fit would be Anabel but that's because the Battle Maison is just an advanced version of the Battle Tower (and only for the single 3-vs-3 battles). You simply can't replace the Gen III Frontier Brains wit the Chatelaines because they were designed a certain way and trying to shove one in a place where they don't fit would make them feel out of place. The Chatelaines are designed to represent the type of battle they expertise in (Nita's hair is one piece because she's Singles, Evelyn is split in two because she's Doubles, Dana has 3 hair curls because she's triple, and Morgan's hair is shaped in a spiral because she's Rotational). The Frontier Brains are designed as they are for a few reasons and while maybe not completely relating to their facility's gimmick you can see the connection which you wouldn't see in the Maison if they were swapped in for certain Chatelaines.

Probably because we got the Pokemon World Tournament as the 'post-game battle facility' (also the Black Tower / White Treehollow)
Oh yeah, forgot about the Pokemon World Tournament and Black Tower/White Treehollow. Looking back at BW2 being the last 2D game I guess it makes sense for them to forgo a completely new Battle Frontier and put in a homage to all previous games even though I think they could have done more (seriously no Elite Four or previous Frontier Brains? Heck I'd maybe even throw in previous protagonists and their rivals. Also many of the kid characters really should have been aged up).

The only one who would fit would be Anabel but that's because the Battle Maison is just an advanced version of the Battle Tower (and only for the single 3-vs-3 battles). You simply can't replace the Gen III Frontier Brains wit the Chatelaines because they were designed a certain way and trying to shove one in a place where they don't fit would make them feel out of place. The Chatelaines are designed to represent the type of battle they expertise in (Nita's hair is one piece because she's Singles, Evelyn is split in two because she's Doubles, Dana has 3 hair curls because she's triple, and Morgan's hair is shaped in a spiral because she's Rotational). The Frontier Brains are designed as they are for a few reasons and while maybe not completely relating to their facility's gimmick you can see the connection which you wouldn't see in the Maison if they were swapped in for certain Chatelaines.

Oh yeah, forgot about the Pokemon World Tournament and Black Tower/White Treehollow. Looking back at BW2 being the last 2D game I guess it makes sense for them to forgo a completely new Battle Frontier and put in a homage to all previous games even though I think they could have done more (seriously no Elite Four or previous Frontier Brains? Heck I'd maybe even throw in previous protagonists and their rivals. Also many of the kid characters really should have been aged up).
Ah yes, characters not aging up. I think we talked about that in the Mysteries thread. Even though it is set like 10 years after Gen 2, none of the characters appear to be older. Of course, it wouldn't be nostalgic if they all look 10 years older especially since some would be unrecognizable. Still a bit irksome to see oh, Red looking EXACTLY like he was in HG/SS even though he's in his mid 20s by this age. Even though I stopped growing when I was like 12 (I was literally 6'1" as a 7th grader), I still look different now than I did 13 years ago.

Ah yes, characters not aging up. I think we talked about that in the Mysteries thread. Even though it is set like 10 years after Gen 2, none of the characters appear to be older. Of course, it wouldn't be nostalgic if they all look 10 years older especially since some would be unrecognizable. Still a bit irksome to see oh, Red looking EXACTLY like he was in HG/SS even though he's in his mid 20s by this age. Even though I stopped growing when I was like 12 (I was literally 6'1" as a 7th grader), I still look different now than I did 13 years ago.
But as I said there, my sister is 31 and she looks the same as she did when she was 16.

But as I said there, my sister is 31 and she looks the same as she did when she was 16.
Women are weird like that. Especially short women. Men are a lot less likely to look the same for a decade or so from their teens. Even my friend who looked like 12 when he was in his early 20s look 10 when he was 16.

Flame Body Pokémon can get frozen. Learned that one the hard way with my Talonflame in X against a Weavile.
Well if it prevented freezing, that would make Magma Armor pointless. Why simply prevent being frozen when you can do that AND have a 1/3 chance to burn an attacker that uses a contact move? Besides, the frozen status doesn't usually last long, and most Fire moves (plus Scald) remove it.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Women are weird like that. Especially short women. Men are a lot less likely to look the same for a decade or so from their teens. Even my friend who looked like 12 when he was in his early 20s look 10 when he was 16.
Fine, let's do an experiment. I'll post the stock art for several of the Gym Leaders that appeared in the PWT, approximate what their age would be, and you tell me if they look right or not. And let's remember the timeline (approximate): FRLG/RSE >3 Years> HGSS/DPP >5 years*> BW >2 years> BW2/XY

* Yes, I know we don't know how much time has passed between ORAS/DPP and BW, but considering how much Caitlin was aged up I'm giving it at least 5 years so that between FRLG/ORAS and BW2/XY it's 10 years.

Janine

Debut in HGSS/Age Then = 12?
BW2/+7 years = Current Age = 19?

Blue

Debut in FRLG/Age Then = 12?
Previous Appearance in HGSS/+3 years = Age Then = 15?
BW2/+7 years = Current Age = 22?

Red

(Just realized they never release any stock art of Red in HGSS)

Bugsy

Tate & Liza

(Using their RSE artwork since that's the art they used for their BW2 sprites)
Debut in RSE/Age Then = 10?
BW2/+10 year = Current Age = 20?

Maylene

Debut in DPP/Age Then = 12?

Candice

And I'm being reserved with the ages and skipping over Misty, Falkner, Whitney, Jasmine, and Roxanne (RSE) since they do look like their current age in BW2. But the characters I listed? No, they look too young for their current age even going by the logic some people don't visually age much.

And remember Caitlin was aged up 5 years going from this:

to this:

And I still standby that more than 5 years passed...

Flame Body Pokémon can get frozen. Learned that one the hard way with my Talonflame in X against a Weavile.
Well if it prevented freezing, that would make Magma Armor pointless. Why simply prevent being frozen when you can do that AND have a 1/3 chance to burn an attacker that uses a contact move? Besides, the frozen status doesn't usually last long, and most Fire moves (plus Scald) remove it.
I think the better question would be why can Fire-types be frozen in the first place? Sure they're already immune to burn, but by that same logic wouldn't they also be immune to the other temperature-related status infliction?

"But wouldn't that make Magma Armor useless than"? First, Magma Armor was already useless because who relies on Freezing their opponent? Second, or rather on top of that, Magma Armor could us an upgrade (as well as a number of other Abilities). What could they do I don't know (well I have a few ideas but it's all for naught unless GF reads these forums which I highly doubt) but honestly the 3 Pokemon that get Magma Armor would rather use their other Abilities (Slugma family get Flame Body for a chance of burning and Camerupt gets Solid Rock to reduce super effective damage. Heck Camerupt probably would prefer one of Numel's Abilities to Magma Armor). And they could still keep the prevents Freezing effect just in case they give Magma Armor to a non-Fire-type.

That's true, but then again, it's not like abilities that simply outclass others don't exist. Think Big Pecks versus Clear Body.

Fine, let's do an experiment. I'll post the stock art for several of the Gym Leaders that appeared in the PWT, approximate what their age would be, and you tell me if they look right or not. And let's remember the timeline (approximate): FRLG/RSE >3 Years> HGSS/DPP >5 years*> BW >2 years> BW2/XY

* Yes, I know we don't know how much time has passed between ORAS/DPP and BW, but considering how much Caitlin was aged up I'm giving it at least 5 years so that between FRLG/ORAS and BW2/XY it's 10 years.

Janine

Blue

Red

(Just realized they never release any stock art of Red in HGSS)

Bugsy

Tate & Liza

(Using their RSE artwork since that's the art they used for their BW2 sprites)
Debut in RSE/Age Then = 10?
BW2/+10 year = Current Age = 20?

Maylene

Candice

And I'm being reserved with the ages and skipping over Misty, Falkner, Whitney, Jasmine, and Roxanne (RSE) since they do look like their current age in BW2. But the characters I listed? No, they look too young for their current age even going by the logic some people don't visually age much.

And remember Caitlin was aged up 5 years going from this:

to this:

And I still standby that more than 5 years passed...

I think the better question would be why can Fire-types be frozen in the first place? Sure they're already immune to burn, but by that same logic wouldn't they also be immune to the other temperature-related status infliction?

"But wouldn't that make Magma Armor useless than"? First, Magma Armor was already useless because who relies on Freezing their opponent? Second, or rather on top of that, Magma Armor could us an upgrade (as well as a number of other Abilities). What could they do I don't know (well I have a few ideas but it's all for naught unless GF reads these forums which I highly doubt) but honestly the 3 Pokemon that get Magma Armor would rather use their other Abilities (Slugma family get Flame Body for a chance of burning and Camerupt gets Solid Rock to reduce super effective damage. Heck Camerupt probably would prefer one of Numel's Abilities to Magma Armor). And they could still keep the prevents Freezing effect just in case they give Magma Armor to a non-Fire-type.
Actually, I was under the impression that Janine was older than the player character. Somewhere between mid teens to possibly young adult. So I'm thinking between 15 and 20, making her possibly between 22 and 27 years old.

And I was under the impression that Janice was older than the player character by a few years, like a young teen, seeing as how she does have developed breasts, so I'm thinking she is high school age. I'm thinking 15-16, so she should be 22-23 years old by B2/W2.

I think you're right about all the others, though I was also under the impression that Liza and Tate were a year or two younger, than the player character, so they could possibly be 8 or 9. Then again, you list Red and Blue as 12, so I guess 10 would still make them 2 years younger than the player characters, as I had first guessed.

That's true, but then again, it's not like abilities that simply outclass others don't exist. Think Big Pecks versus Clear Body.
True, I guess. Though a more fair comparison would be Hyper Cutter vs. Clear Body, since they were introduced at the same time whereas Big Pecks was for Gen 5 and mostly new bird Pokemon. (Pidgey and Chatot got it too as a hidden ability)

JES ...You realize that all the female protagonist characters are sporting boobs despite usually being portrayed as ~10, right? Maybe it's the way May's official artwork for Ruby/Sapphire has her with her hips shifted to the left a bit, but she is perhaps a bit um... blessed for her supposed age. Honestly I'd rather just drop all concern for gym leaders and champions' 'proper age' in the PWT. It was supposed to be just a treat to have the opportunity to fight them, especially with updated teams to take advantage of the most new Pokemon introduced of any generation. To age some of the younger ones might have made them a bit less recognizable.

Or hell, just say they've got blasted by a form of the Ultimate Weapon but haven't been turned into intimidating 9'+ tall giants yet.

True, I guess. Though a more fair comparison would be Hyper Cutter vs. Clear Body, since they were introduced at the same time whereas Big Pecks was for Gen 5 and mostly new bird Pokemon. (Pidgey and Chatot got it too as a hidden ability)

JES ...You realize that all the female protagonist characters are sporting boobs despite usually being portrayed as ~10, right? Maybe it's the way May's official artwork for Ruby/Sapphire has her with her hips shifted to the left a bit, but she is perhaps a bit um... blessed for her supposed age. Honestly I'd rather just drop all concern for gym leaders and champions' 'proper age' in the PWT. It was supposed to be just a treat to have the opportunity to fight them, especially with updated teams to take advantage of the most new Pokemon introduced of any generation. To age some of the younger ones might have made them a bit less recognizable.

Or hell, just say they've got blasted by a form of the Ultimate Weapon but haven't been turned into intimidating 9'+ tall giants yet.
All? Um, certainly not Dawn. And Liza and Maylene don't either. Or is Candice just "blessed" for her supposed age? Though to be fair, I suppose that May and Candice might not be an exception. Then again, I've forgotten if this was also the case for Hilda and Rosa or not, since Hilda never appeared in the Anime, she doesn't appear in White if you play as the male character, and I didn't play B/W2. I think that Rosa might fall into this category? But I don't remember for sure.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 4)