VGC VGC Trick Room

Hi All,
I made this team awhile back but quit before using, so was after another opinion now the meta has settled a bit. Point of the team is a semi trick room team centralized around Mega Camerupt.
I plan to use the team also for local tourneys in which legendaries are banned. So i will be avoiding all legendaries.

Camerupt @ Cameruptite
Nature: Quiet
EVs: 252 HP 252SPA 4 SPD
Heat Wave
Ancient Power
Earth Power
Protect
In short i chose camerupt because im a big fan of the type combination. Earth power is main stab and spam move. Heat wave is to deal with grass mostly as well as a little damage to the partner. Ancient power is to take out opposing flyers in particular talonflame & Mega Charizard Y.

Cradily @ Wise Glasses
Storm Drain
EVs: 252 HP 252SPA 4DEF
Giga Drain
Ancient Power
Earth Power
Protect
Cradilys main job is to protect camerupt from water. Giga drain is to keep him healthy and take out opposing water & Grounds that threaten camerupt, especially any rotom-W. Ancient power is the secondary stab and with the SPA investment & glasses its enough to OHKO Charizard Y. Earth power is there to round off the edge/quake combo. Wise glasses provides a small damage boost without providing any drawbacks, it allows ancient power to guarantee OHKO on mega char y instead of an 87% chance without. Inregards to the SPA investment the main purpose of cradily is to switch in on a predicted water attack, With a storm drain boost & that investment Cradily can do a surprising amount of damage.

Jellicent @ Mental Herb
Cursed body
EVs: 252HP 252SPA 4DEF
Trick Room
Scald
Shadow ball
Recover
Jellicent is my trick room setter. I chose jellicent for his immunity to fake out (cept from Khan), also is able to switch into water attacks aimed at camerupt. Mental herb is to protect against taunts. Curse body as i already have cradily if i need a water soaker. Scald is the main stab, the burn chance can help out alot. Shadow ball is the reliable secondary stab. Recover is to heal up and fish for cursed body.

Conkledurr @ Assault Vest
Guts
EVs: 108HP / 152 ATK / 104 DEF / 144 SPD
Nature: Brave
Drain Punch
Mach Punch
Knock Off
Ice Punch
Im not too sure honestly how well Conkledurr fits on my team. I chose him as i felt like i needed a fighting type to deal with Mega Khan. He also works fairly well in or out of trick room. Drain Punch being the reliable Stab + recovery, mach punch provides useful priority outside of trick room, knock off allows him to hit ghosts and threatening pyschic types, and ice punch allows him to hit flying and take down dragons.
i prefer Guts because i really hate burn and would rather not be crippled by them. im a bit unsure on this as he has no reliable way of getting it without sacrificing the vest and none of the rest of my team really serves as burn bait. I took it off smogon, but it seems good to me.

Talonflame @ Life Orb
Gale Wings
Evs 80HP 252ATK 176SPE
Nature: Adamant
Brave Bird
Flare Blitz
Quick Guard
Protect
Thanks to talonflames priority it can function in and out of trick room. Brave bird & Flare blitz are the obvious stabs providing almost perfect coverage. Quick Guard provides protection against other priority users especially other talonflames. The speed ivs give it just enough speed to block Khans fake out, rest is to go into Attack and HP.

Porygon-Z @ Normal Gem
Adaptability
EVs 4HP 252SPA 252SPE
Nature: Modest
Hyper Beam
Ice Beam
Dark Pulse
Protect
Porygon-Z is remnant from my old team i just couldnt let go. The sheer force of a Normal gem + Adaptaptablity Hyper Beam is enough to OHKO a high priority target, be it Mega Khan, Mega Char, Ammongus and uninvested life Orb Goodra. Ice beam is there so that pory can take out a dragon or such before being a sitting duck from hyper beam. Dark pulse can surprise ghosts that think they are safe from his normal stabs. Normal Gem is chosen for the super power hyper beam, id rather not be locked with choice scarf and unable to use the hyper beam after using ice beam. The speed EVs allow it to out speed Base speed ~80s when out side trick room. When inside trick room, itll be able to out speed Garchomp, Mega Khan etc.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Last edited:
If i was you, i'd put a Sitrus Berry on that Cradily. Cradily's main role is to redirect water type attacks away from Camerupt, which means that Cradily will most likely come in on a lot of attacks. Maintaining this tool alive is way more important that the unsignificant boost that Wise Glasses gives.
I wish i could help you more, but i'm running out of time.

Hope i helped! Have a nice day!
- Skarm

DaAwesomeDude1

waiting for a moment
is a Top Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnus
DPL Champion
Hey man, sweet team. Cradily + Jellicent + M-Camerupt seems like a really neat core! Definitely agreeing with the above post on switch Cradily's item to Sitrus Berry. The boost from Wide Lens is pretty insignificant, and staying power is much more important for what your Cradily is trying to accomplish.

Because your Jellicent lacks Sitrus Berry and is geared towards setting up Trick Room, I suggest you switch to a more bulkier spread such as 252 HP / 148 Def / 4 SpA / 100 SpD / 4 Spe with a Sassy Nature. This spread survives a Choice Specs Hydreigon's Dark Pulse, Life Orb Virizion's Leaf Blade, and makes Adamant Landorus-T's Earthquake a 3HKO. I also suggest using Ice Beam over Shadow Ball. Currently, your team lacks a reliable way of hitting Mega Salamence for massive damage outside of Porygon-Z. Shadow Ball's only target is essentially Mega Gardevoir which isn't even hit that hard with Shadow Ball to begin with. Against Aegislash, you risk activating its Weakness Policy if you target it with Shadow Ball, and because you have multiple ways of handling it already.

252+ SpA Choice Specs Hydreigon Dark Pulse vs. 252 HP / 100+ SpD Jellicent: 174-206 (84 - 99.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 Atk Life Orb Virizion Leaf Blade vs. 252 HP / 148 Def Jellicent: 174-205 (84 - 99%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252+ Atk Landorus-T Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 148 Def Jellicent: 84-100 (40.5 - 48.3%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

4 SpA Jellicent Ice Beam vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mega Salamence: 136-160 (80 - 94.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

4 SpA Jellicent Ice Beam vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Landorus-T: 144-172 (87.2 - 104.2%) -- 18.8% chance to OHKO

I suggest changing Talonflame's item to Sharp Beak. This will be explained later on in the rate, but under Trick Room, Talonflame will most likely be spamming Brave Bird so using Sharp Beak is the best replacement item for it.

While nuking your opponents with Normal Gem Hyper Beam may seem good on paper, it honestly isn't that great in practice. For starters, while you are able to nuke your opponent, using it will leave Porygon-Z unable to move for one turn, which can allow your opponent to gang up on its partner. Being unable to move for a turn is especially relevant considering you're running a Trick Room team, which essentially leaves you on a timer on how much damage you can do to your opponent's in those 4 turns, so if one of your Pokemon isn't able to do anything for a turn, this can allow your opponent to stall Trick Room out easier. On that note, I suggest changing Porygon-Z's item to Life Orb, which is why Talonflame needs to run Shark Beak, as well as switching Hyper Beam for Tri Attack and Adaptability to Download. Adaptability boosts Tri Attack but that's essentially it, using Download will be much more beneficial, as it is able to give a power boost to Porygon-Z's other attacks; VGC is pretty physically oriented this year so getting a Special Attack boost wouldn't be hard at all.

For bigger changes, I suggest replacing Conkeldurr with Hariyama. Hariyama offers something that Conkeldurr does not, which is Fake Out support. With only one Trick Room setter, setting up Trick Room can be a bit hard if your opponent were to double into Jellicent's slot; Fake Out helps facilitate setting up Trick Room. Conkeldurr to Hariyama isn't that big of a change in terms of coverage considering Hariyama gets the same moves and ability as Conkeldurr.

Once again man, really neat team! Hope I helped and good luck with the team dude!!! :]
-DaAwesomeDude1

Cradily @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Storm Drain
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 Def
Quiet Nature
- Giga Drain
- Ancient Power
- Earth Power
- Protect

Jellicent @ Mental Herb
Ability: Cursed Body
EVs: 252 HP / 148 Def / 4 SpA / 100 SpD / 4 Spe
Sassy Nature

- Trick Room
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Recover

Talonflame @ Sharp Beak
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 80 HP / 252 Atk / 176 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Brave Bird
- Flare Blitz
- Protect
- Quick Guard

Porygon-Z @ Life Orb
Ability: Download
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Protect
- Ice Beam
- Tri Attack
- Dark Pulse

Hariyama @ Assault Vest
Ability: Guts
Level: 50
EVs: 60 HP / 100 Atk / 100 Def / 244 SpD / 4 Spe (this spread allows Hariyama to always OHKO Kangaskhan with Close Combat and survive a Hyper Voice from both Mega Salamence and Mega Gardevoir)
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Close Combat
- Fake Out
- Knock Off
- Ice Punch

Thanks, for the input.

I kind of like the idea of cradily being able to OHKO char y, but sitrus berry is probably for the best.

With Pory i didnt even realise normal Gem had been reduced to 30% instead of 50%. I think i was using normal gem because life orb was being used by someone else on my old team. So yeah seems a good switch. But i think ill keep Hyper beam, being able to OHKO a threat worked very well on my old team (was tailwind based)

Will see how conkeldurr goes, But will probably end up switching for Hariyama if im having trouble.

Not so much a fan of full support no damage. But your probably right on the change to Jelly especially with Ice Beam.

Anyway thanks again.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)