VGC 2015: Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer

Status
Not open for further replies.
depends on the team. some trick room teams like for everything to have 0 speed ivs and others are hybrids that can function out of it. I'd probably invest 140 into speed to hit 123 to outspeed bisharp out of TR and outspeed khangaskan and metagross etc in TR

Mishimono

mish mish
is a Top Tiering Contributoris a Past SCL Champion
depends on the team. some trick room teams like for everything to have 0 speed ivs and others are hybrids that can function out of it. I'd probably invest 140 into speed to hit 123 to outspeed bisharp out of TR and outspeed khangaskan and metagross etc in TR
With the 31 IVS right.

yeah. always assume (unless hidden power is a factor) that if you're investing into a stat that the IV is 31.
you should also make the atk 0 to reduce swagger damage

Uh yes it is, there is a difference between having the move in your move pool and actually using it in a match.

also it's "lmao" not "lmoa"
I don't know about you...but I use Superpower with Landorus all the time...especially against Kang, Hydreigon, and Heatran. In fact, due to the on-going popularity of Kang and Heatran, fighting coverage is expected on almost all teams.

I don't know about you...but I use Superpower with Landorus all the time...especially against Kang, Hydreigon, and Heatran. In fact, due to the on-going popularity of Kang and Heatran, fighting coverage is expected on almost all teams.
Yeah and you're one person, I can count on one hand how many times I saw Lando-t's use superpower against kangs and heatrans at US nationals that I saw. And again, having fighting coverage is not the same as using fighting type moves. You can have all the coverage in the world but it does absolutely nothing if you're not using it. That's the point I'm making here.

Pyritie

TAMAGO
is an Artist
Yeah and you're one person, I can count on one hand how many times I saw Lando-t's use superpower against kangs and heatrans at US nationals that I saw. And again, having fighting coverage is not the same as using fighting type moves. You can have all the coverage in the world but it does absolutely nothing if you're not using it. That's the point I'm making here.
And loads of the lando-T's I saw at UK nats used superpower. Nobody can prove anything with anecdotal evidence like this.

nicholascookie

Banned deucer.
Let the bad player be bad, people.

Are there resources to know which 'mons counter/check certain playstyles, like which ones are good against sun, (japan) sand, rain, etc?

Also, how does someone find out synergy effects? For instance, if you start out with a Kangaskhan Sylveon combo, you could add Milotic for making intimidate less attractive for Kangaskhan, but Milotic and Sylveon don't have synergy (as I can see). If you let everything synergise with Kangaskhan and he faints into battle, I fear I don't have a team anymore, but a collection of individuals.

Are there resources to know which 'mons counter/check certain playstyles, like which ones are good against sun, (japan) sand, rain, etc?

Also, how does someone find out synergy effects? For instance, if you start out with a Kangaskhan Sylveon combo, you could add Milotic for making intimidate less attractive for Kangaskhan, but Milotic and Sylveon don't have synergy (as I can see). If you let everything synergise with Kangaskhan and he faints into battle, I fear I don't have a team anymore, but a collection of individuals.
I don't think we have a compendium for checks to different archetypes in VGC (might want to make that tbh)

Not quite sure about that second thing though

nicholascookie

Banned deucer.

Go to PS! and actually test shit out and practice, fuck sake.

Nuggetbridge has a section where it lists a bunch of pokemon that have seen play in VGC and when you click on one, it takes you to another page that lists 'articles' that people have used that pokemon for a tournament and the team they used. You can look through the teams and see what you like and what you don't like. The best place to test though is on pokemonshowdown, as nicholascookie so rudely told you to do.

Also good is the official Battlespot Anaylsis page: http://3ds.pokemon-gl.com/battle/oras/

You can see things like: common partners, Pokemon it deals with well, Pokemon that it doesn't deal with well, etc.

Be sure to click on "Doubles"

http://www.smogon.com/forums/thread...-archetypes-in-the-vgc-2015-metagame.3544795/ check that out :P

Synergy is complicated; if you build your team as Khan + 5 mons to support it, yes, you'll likely fall apart upon Khan's death, just like the Mongolian Empire.
A core of 2-4 mons (including Khan) that support it, with 2-3 mons that help support the core in general, tends to fair much better when the team's main force is eliminated. Me, I ran a Char-Y + Mega Venusaur + Swampert core, supported by Togekiss, Terrakion, and Raichu (which supported Char-Y/Kiss mainly). If Char-Y was a bad matchup against a foe's team (Japan Sand for example), MegaSaur and Swampert were a powerful force to handle TTar, Excadrill, and MegaMence. Hydreigon threatened the entire FWG core - Togekiss and Terrakion helped support that. Mega Khan also threatened the core; but thanks to Pledge moves and Terrakion, it was managable. Offensive Thundurus (Grass KNot) also maimed the core - unless Raichu was around to destroy its life.

Mishimono

mish mish
Is Porygon2, Hariyama and Mawile a good core. If so what other pokes would you suggest adding? I was thinking Rotom-W, Talonflame and Abomasnow but I'm not sure that is very good.

Is Porygon2, Hariyama and Mawile a good core. If so what other pokes would you suggest adding? I was thinking Rotom-W, Talonflame and Abomasnow but I'm not sure that is very good.
Why not test it and find out? Or you could go to this lovely thread that helps build teams around cores as long as you give more information there than you did here.

Mishimono

mish mish
Why not test it and find out? Or you could go to this lovely thread that helps build teams around cores as long as you give more information there than you did here.
Hey is that thread still alive I'm assuming it is since people commented Yesterday but how long does it normally take to get your core tested.

Hey is that thread still alive I'm assuming it is since people commented Yesterday but how long does it normally take to get your core tested.
Um, it is not that active nowadays, but I am going to try to become a bit more active at least. I don't know about the other builders though, but we will get to it sometime.

Gothitelle is pretty good for trick room. I believe ray rizzo ran TR gothitelle a few years back when he won his second title.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)