ORAS UU Breaking into the UU Tier

Hello,

After performing mediocrely in OU, I figured I'd try my hand at a different tier, see if I do better elsewhere. So of course I dropped down one tier and am trying my luck with UU. Since I'm still pretty new to the tier, I'm still kinda feeling my way around the team.

Hydreigon @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Dark Pulse
- Superpower
- Roost

I started with Life Orb Hydreigon to punch giant holes in teams. Draco Meteor and Dark Pulse are mandatory STAB. Superpower is to surprise switch-ins that think it's safe to try setting up after a Draco Meteor, and might be the most useful move on Hydreigon's moveset. Roost is obvious recovery, although I never really find myself using it. Hasty nature so I can hurt with Superpower, and the EVs are obvious. The only thing I'd consider changing is Roost, but I also don't really need Iron Tail or Flash Cannon to hit Fairies, they've never been a problem for me.

Roserade @ Life Orb
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Spikes
- Sludge Bomb
- Leaf Storm
- Extrasensory

I knew Hydreigon wanted entry hazards, and something to scare out Fairies. In enter Roserade, who can deal with Fairies, set up Spikes, and absorb T-Spikes. I went with an offensive build because Roserade's defenses don't really seem worth investing in, and Grass has enough weaknesses that I doubt I'd be walling much anyway. Natural Cure makes Roserade a decent status absorber, and Extrasensory is fun when you know Crobat is coming in to Defog.

Ampharos-Mega @ Ampharosite
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Volt Switch
- Dragon Pulse

Next I decided to go with Mega-Ampharos to help build a Volt-Turn core to wear targets down as much as possible. Ampharos' slow Volt Switch is really nice to bring in whatever I want on a target, usually at no risk to my switch-in. I went with this physically defensive spread in order to tank the physical hits that enjoy making their way towards my team. Even STAB EQs don't worry me unless I'm well under half-health. Rest and Sleep Talk allow me to keep Ampharos healthy and still (hopefully) deal damage so Ampharos isn't set-up bait.

Infernape @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Close Combat
- U-turn
- Stone Edge

My team was feeling kinda slow, so I brought in Infernape to fill a number of voids. His STAB moves help put a lot of pokemon under pressure, I get a revenge killer, and I get a mon to complete my Volt-Turn combo. Stone Edge is to catch flying types when I don't want to U-Turn out, like against a +1 Salamence, who would run rampant through my team otherwise. Definitely happy with Infernape here, I can't imagine changing much.

Suicune @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 200 HP / 252 SpA / 56 Spe
Modest Nature
- Calm Mind
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power [Grass]

Suicune also fills a number of roles in the team, like forming a water-grass-fire core (not that the other two are terribly defensive) and gives me a possible win condition. I picked offensive Cune over something like CroCune because I wanted the attacking variety so something like Vaporeon doesn't wall me completely. Hidden Power Grass allows me to catch water types by surprise, thinking my only answer is Ampharos (who otherwise has a hard time landing a hit on them). This set does have a difficult time finding an opening to Calm Mind, so I do wonder if running a different moveset would be easier.

Snorlax @ Assault Vest
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Return
- Crunch
- Earthquake
-Fire Punch

I admit this feels a bit random, but with Ampharos tanking random physical attacks, I wanted something that could tank random special attacks. So I picked this fat fuck and gave him an assault vest. I picked Crunch over Return because there's so few threats I want to trap, since Ghosts and Psychics are usually a free switch in for Hydreigon, but I still wanted to be able to threaten things like Cress. If there were a spot that I'm expecting needs changing, its this guy, but he still puts in work. Thanks to Thick Fat, he's a decent answer to things like Entei and Mamoswine, and can threaten them or KO them with a bit of prior damage.

So that's the team. I haven't encountered many different consistent threats to this team, so I'm not sure what threatens it. The only thing I can think of right away is that Stealth Rock would be nice to have somewhere, and maybe a way to remove opposing hazards. I appreciate any feedback, and thank you for your time!

eren

je suis d'ailleurs
Hello, fairly solid team! I dont want to really get to in depth and just want to suggest a coiple moveset changes that will benefit your team!

Firstly, run CurseLax > Current Set. Snorlax has fantastic SpD as is and an Assault Vest really hinders its ability to rest and recover throughout the match.

Secondly, I would suggest Defensive Suicune > Current Set. While offensive Cune is good, I think Defensive fits better due to it being able to check namely Mamoswine.

Thirdly, I would change Infernape to Mamoswine. While this may seem odd, your team lacks Stealth rock and it needs it desperately. Furthermore, Mamoswine functions as a Salamence check, a revenge killer, and a much more powerful offensive presence than Infernape.

Lastly, I would run Sleep powder > Extrasensory. Sleep Powder still can allow you momentum not just vs Crobat but vs all defoggers except Mandibuzz. It also allows for free turns for your team to work.

Hope I helped!

Snorlax @ Leftovers
EVs: 144 HP / 188 Def / 176 SpD
Careful Nature
- Curse
- Body Slam
- Rest
- Earthquake

Suicune @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 200 Def / 56 Spe
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Scald
- Rest
- Roar

Mamoswine @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Ice Shard
- Earthquake
- Icicle Crash
- Stealth Rock

Roserade @ Life Orb
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Spikes
- Sludge Bomb
- Leaf Storm
- Sleep Powder

Hello rickheg, interesting team you have here. I am going to be honest with you, there are definitely problems with this team. For one, you lack Stealth Rocks, which is needed on any competitive team. Secondly, your fighting resists consist of offensive Roserade, which is getting 2hko'd by any Fighting type in the tier, anyway. I like your core you started with in LO Hydreigon+Roserade. Both have nice synergy and work well with each other. From there, I feel like you just had the mindset of: add a defensive pokemon, scarfer, setup sweeper, and Specially defensive pokemon and called it a team. UU is a tier where you have to have a checklist for ways you can handle top-tier threats, basic resistances, and synergy. For this team to work, I will have to change about 3 pokemon slots mainly to grant you fighting resists and Stealth Rock.

My first suggestion is to change to Taunt > Superpower on Hydreigon. Taunt will be your best option because this team is going to be stacking Hazards and you can taunt defogers as well as stopping pokemon such as Snorlax or Porygon2 from recovering/Resting.

Sleep Powder > Extrasensory on Roserade. Sleep Powder is a great move way more consistent than Extrasensory as it is mainly just for one pokemon, Crobat, which you can Sleep Powder on the Switch in, anyway. I also recommend Black Sludge > Life Orb and Giga Drain > Leaf Storm. The consistent recovery is huge, especially when you stacking hazards on bulky waters. Roserade will be used as a pivot, into pokemon like Florges and Suicune, so with the change to Black Sludge, Giga Drain will pair better with it since you do not want consent damage contrary to dropping nuke Leaf Storm's while dropping your SpA.

Now on to team changes. My first suggestion is making the change of Stealth Rock + Swords Dance Cobalion > Infernape. Cobalion is another fighting type that has decent bulk, can reliably lay up Stealth Rock, and can sweep late game with Swords Dance. Although this does not help with your fighting resistances, this provides you with a Stealth Rock user, and it is a fighting type that can clean late game as you wanted with Infernape. Here is your set:

Cobalion @ Leftovers
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- Iron Head

My next suggestion is Slowking > Defensive Ampharos. Denensive Mega Ampharos was more popular in the Victini suspect test since it could hard wall all of its coverage moves. Ampharos right now, only really stops Fire types in its tracks such as Entei, but physical fighting types and ground types can not be handled with Ampharos since it lacked Leftovers, and reliable recovery in general. Slowking will act as a Calm Mind win condition, fire type check, and fighting type check. Slowking also has great type synergy with Cobalion. Here is your set:

Slowking @ Leftovers
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Scald
- Psyshock
- Slack Off

My final team suggestion is Taunt Crobat > Suicune. Taunt Crobat is your secondary fighting resist. Both Cobalion and Crobat can check Mega Beedrill which completely ran over your entire team, previously. Taunt Crobat can also shut down Defogers that will try and remove your hazards. You do not need a hazard remover since you are stacking hazards, and this team does not struggle with Stealth Rock too much in the first place. Here is your set:

Crobat @ Black Sludge
Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 16 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 236 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- Taunt
- Roost
- U-turn (This spread will outspeed Adamant Beedrill as well as Adamant Feraligatr at +1 speed)

Finally, simply make the change of Curse Snorlax > AV. Assault Vest and the Curse variant still wall the same pokemon, but the Curse variant is a win condition as well as access to Leftovers Recovery and Rest. This way, Snorlax will not get widdled down like it would with an Assault vest. Here is your set:

Snorlax @ Leftovers
EVs: 144 HP / 176 Def / 188 SpD
Careful Nature
- Curse
- Body Slam
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

I am aware this is a lot of change, but this was the only way I could make this team viable in the ORAS UU metagame. All of these changes kept to the concept you had in the beginning, but with better synergy overall. Good luck with the team, I hope you try these changes out!

Last edited:

rs

STANDING ON BUSINESS
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis a Former Smogon Metagame Tournament Circuit Champion
What's up man, cool looking team you have here. I'm glad you got into UU! It's a really fun tier to get into. But anyway, I'd like to recommend a couple of things to help out.
  • First off, I'd like to recommend a cool change on Hydreigon. I'd use a Taunt Roost Hydreigon over the one you have. Taunt keeps hazards off the field and set-up sweepers like Curselax (comes in on draco) or Suicune from setting up. I'd recommend a set like this, essentially its just changing one move and the nature

Hydreigon @ Life Orb
    Ability: Levitate
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
    Timid Nature
    - Draco Meteor
    - Dark Pulse
    - Taunt
    - Roost
  • Next, I'd like to recommend Nidoqueen > Roserade. Although this adds another ground weakness, you have Stealth Rock and a very strong Special Attacker with AMAZING coverage in Nidoqueen. This mon also has great synergy with Hydreigon, which Roserade did as well, being able to come in on opposing Florges and fire off a free powerful Sheer Force boosted move or get hazards up. I'd use a set something like this on this team.

Nidoqueen @ Life Orb
    Ability: Sheer Force
    EVs: 40 HP / 252 SpA / 216 Spe
    Modest Nature
    - Earth Power
    - Ice Beam
    - Stealth Rock
    - Sludge Wave
    The EVs allow it to outspeed Adamant Honchkrow as well as uninvested Base 100's or lower such as Tentacruel or Defensive Arcanine, which is always useful.

• Another suggestion I'd like to make is using Mega Aerodactyl > Mega Ampharos. This mon gives you a great defogger as well as a way to stop Mega Beedrill, which this team didn't really like in the first place. I'd like to recommend a Pursuit Defog set, as Mega Beedrill wouldn't like to stay in on Mega Aero anyway. Here's a calc assuming you have rocks up with Nidoqueen.

252 Atk Tough Claws Mega Aerodactyl Pursuit vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mega Beedrill: 242-285 (89.2 - 105.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

Aerodactyl-Mega @ Aerodactylite
    Ability: Tough Claws
    EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
    Jolly/Adamant Nature
    - Stone Edge
    - Aerial Ace
    - Pursuit
    - Defog
    Using Jolly/Adamant is really a toss up tbh, but Jolly helps you outspeed the likes of Jolly Beedrill/Timid Sceptile as well as scarf Chandelure. I use Jolly 100% of the time but its preference.
  • Next, I'd recommend using a more defensive set on Suicune, I second the set Slurms recommended, it keeps some strong mons in check like Gatr and Mamoswine, which this team can have trouble with. Here's the set again.

Suicune @ Leftovers
    EVs: 252 HP / 200 Def / 56 Spe
    Bold Nature
    - Calm Mind
    - Scald
    - Rest
    - Roar
  • Lastly, as Slurms and Christo recommended, use Curselax over AV Lax. This gives you a nice wincon and it can set up on most Special Attackers in the tier. I personally think it's one of the best mons in the tier, and it can fit on a lot of teams. Here's the set again, but its just the same ones used above.

Snorlax @ Leftovers
    EVs: 144 HP / 188 Def / 176 SpD
    Careful Nature
    - Curse
    - Body Slam
    - Rest
    - Sleep Talk
    The EVs allow you to survive a 2HKO from Mega Blastoise's Aura Sphere and help tank a Lucario CC or a Mienshao HJK at +1.

But anyway, hope you consider my recommendations and good luck with your team!

Hey rickheg,

Before confirming any of the above suggestions, I see immediately that your team lacks any sort of credible fighting resist. In a tier with several very high profile fighting type attackers who enjoy spamming close combat whenever able to, this is a bit of a sticky situation. Notably, whenever something like a banded Heracross comes in on your team you are essentially forced to pick something to fodder. This sort of situation will wear your team and momentum down very quickly.

I think the best way to deal with this would be to give yourself a much more consistent defensive mon that offers good coverage and offensive pressure without being passive. This choice would be a defensive Nidoqueen. I prefer the defensive set for your team in particular because it allows you to rest back control of the match when needed without being limited to one or two switch ins. The offensive set does have its place and is quite good on its own, but I really do like defensive more for you. The set would be as follows:

Nidoqueen @ Life Orb / Black Sludge
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 248 HP / 240 Def / 20 Spe
Modest Nature
- Earth Power
- Flamethrower
- Stealth Rock
- Sludge Wave

Using defensive Nidoqueen gives you access to SR, which is important for your team (though you lose spikes as this is replacing Roserade). Your damage output isn't necessarily significant neutrally, but you'll likely be interested in using coverage to hit mons that you are weak to, or otherwise using your decent bulk and good typing to pivot. Flamethrower is a little less traditional but I like it for hitting Heracross as I said before, Ice Beam can easily be run in its place, or Dragon Tail for phazing capabilities.

I've tried in this rate to keep your team as similar as possible to it was in the OP. The rates above me offer more drastic changes, most of which are very good and make the team more cohesive. However, if you are not interested in changing certain mons, there are a few more suggestions I like to make the team better.

The first would be switching Hydreigon's Superpower to Taunt. Superpower is nice in theory, but in practice seems to be begging for a loss of momentum. Taunt is far more likely to be useful in actual games.

Suicune should be switched to a more defensive variant, given your teams pace as a whole. CM/Rest/Scald/Roar is a good set for you, with max defense and HP (some sacrificed for speed creep). HP grass is, again, nice in theory but you're hardly going to need it that often, as Swampert is really the only one you'd hit regularly.

Finally, switch Snorlax to a standard Curselax set. It's by far the best option for it, with perhaps running EQ over Sleep Talk in order to not be walled by Doublade.

Last edited:
What teal said subbing...

Snorlax @ Leftovers/Chople Berry
EVs: 80 HP / 176 Atk / 96 Def / 156 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Return
- Earthquake
- Curse
- Pursuit

Gen 5 offensive curselax seems like a clean replacement for AV lax and helps with the teams volturn difficulties, you can pursuit Mbee straight into rocks range and use rotom's/Mamphy/theraremagneton as setup fodder. With cune/mamphy/hydrie lax isn't super pressured to deal with burny things so offenseive curselax has a window to cause some pretty real damage. It's checks and counters also overlap with cune's allowing this set to function as a breaker for you.

(Changes still leave you weak to shit like slurpuff but you can fix that on your own)

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)