Wailord

TONE

I don't have to take this. I'm going for a walk.
is a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
QC: Raiza / Anty / Magnemite
GP: P Squared / The Dutch Plumberjack

[OVERVIEW]

Wailord is a very mediocre Pokemon in PU, as it is outclassed as a physical Water-type attacker by the likes of Barbaracle, Carracosta, and Basculin due to their better offensive stats and capabilities; however, access to Curse and Self-Destruct can make Wailord a decent sweeper with a way to deal out massive damage when its health gets low. It can also try to run a special attacking set, as Wailord's Attack and Special Attack stats are identical, but it is heavily outclassed by Pokemon such as Simipour and Floatzel in this regard. Wailord's low Speed and lack of recovery make it easy for Pokemon such as Stoutland and Raichu to wear down and KO it. Its high base HP is offset by its terrible defenses, leaving it unable to take strong attacks. Wailord also needs a lot of team support to set up, as it doesn't hit that hard unboosted.

[SET]
name: Curse
move 1: Curse
move 2: Waterfall
move 3: Earthquake / Avalanche
move 4: Self-Destruct
item: Life Orb / Leftovers
ability: Water Veil
nature: Adamant
evs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 SpD

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Curse boosts Wailord's Attack and Defense at the cost of lowering its Speed. Waterfall is Wailord's STAB attack, hitting Rock-, Ground-, and Fire-types such as Golem, Piloswine, and Rapidash super effectively. Earthquake provides Wailord with coverage against Electric-types such as Raichu and Zebstrika while also nailing other Water-types such as Politoed and Simipour, which resist Waterfall. Avalanche is an option over Earthquake, as it allows Wailord to hit Grass-types such as Gourgeist and Tangela harder, which resist Waterfall and would otherwise wall Wailord. Self-Destruct gives Wailord a last-ditch effort to do damage against common switch-ins such as Roselia and Pelipper and open the way for a teammate to come in at the expense of KOing itself.

Set Details
========

Maximum investment in Attack along with an Adamant nature lets Wailord deal out as much damage as possible. Maximum investment is placed in Special Defense instead of HP, as Wailord's HP is very high as it is and it lets Wailord avoid being OHKOed by Raichu's and Zebstrika's Thunderbolt and OHKO them back with Earthquake. The leftover EVs are placed in Defense rather than HP to minimize entry hazard damage. Life Orb boosts the power of Wailord's attacks at the cost of some health, while Leftovers gives Wailord passive recovery, letting it set up Curse more easily. Water Veil is the preferred ability to prevent Wailord from being worn down by Scald burns or Will-O-Wisp.

Usage Tips
========

Due to Wailord's terrible defenses, it should avoid switching in on strong attacks, as it is easily worn down. Instead, bring Wailord in after a teammate has fainted or from a slow Volt Switch, U-turn, or Baton Pass from Pokemon such as Probopass and Pelipper. Set up Curse against Pokemon that Wailord can force out, such as Clefairy, but be mindful of Taunt and Encore users such as Misdreavus and Kadabra, as they will either stop Wailord from setting up or prevent it from sweeping. Waterfall is the primary attack to use, while Earthquake should be used on predicted switches to Pokemon that resist Water, such as Roselia. Self-Destruct should be used only once Wailord's health gets low and should be used wisely, as an opposing Ghost-type such as Dusknoir and Gourgeist-XL can switch in on Self-Destruct and take no damage from it. When Wailord's health gets low, it's best to use Self-Destruct to do major damage to the foe and clear the way for a teammate to come in. Wailord should also be wary of poison, as it will wear it down over time and limit Wailord's ability to wallbreak. Wailord is best used late-game once all of its checks and counters are eliminated or weak enough for Wailord to take out on its own, but it can be used early in the match to do immediate damage.

Team Options
========

Wailord is best used on balanced and offensive teams to make use of its wallbreaking potential. Wailord appreciates entry hazard support from Pokemon such as Roselia, Golem, and Probopass to wear down opposing Pokemon. Electric-types such as Zebstrika and Raichu can deal with opposing Water-types for Wailord, particularly Pelipper, which resists Waterfall and is immune to Earthquake, whereas Fire-types such as Rapidash and Ninetales can deal with opposing Grass-types, which wall Wailord. Setup sweepers such as Ninetales and Barbaracle appreciate Wailord's wallbreaking capabilities, allowing them to set up more easily. The latter also appreciates physical walls being worn down by Wailord. Healing Wish support from Pokemon such as Clefairy and Mr. Mime allows Wailord a second chance at wallbreaking. Pokemon that can provide a slow Volt Switch, U-turn, or Baton Pass, such as Probopass, allow Wailord to come in without taking any damage from attacks.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

An all-out attacking set with Choice Scarf and a Jolly nature can be used, but it isn't worth the loss in power, and Wailord is still outsped by base 115 Speed Pokemon and higher, such as Zebstrika. A Choice Specs set with Water Spout, Ice Beam, Hidden Power Electric, and either Hydro Pump or Surf can be used, but it is outclassed by Floatzel, which has higher Speed and access to Switcheroo to cripple special walls. Toxic can cripple switch-ins to Wailord such as Pelipper and Tangela.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Bulky Grass-types**: Grass-types such as Tangela and Gourgeist-XL resist Waterfall and Earthquake and can force Wailord out with their Grass-type STAB attacks, but they can take a lot of damage from Avalanche. Quilladin can use Wailord as setup fodder for Spikes or phaze it with Roar, and Gogoat can set up Bulk Up as Wailord switches out.

**Bulky Water-types**: Pelipper walls Wailord, as it resists Waterfall, is immune to Earthquake, and can proceed to heal off any damage with Roost, whittle Wailord down with Air Slash, or possibly cripple it with Toxic. Defensive variants of Carracosta can easily wear Wailord down with Toxic and Knock Off and can wall it if Wailord isn't running Earthquake.

**Residual Damage**: Wailord is worn down by all forms of entry hazards and Life Orb recoil, which will cut its sweep short. While Wailord can't be burned, poison puts Wailord's life on a timer and wears it down over time.

**Strong Attackers**: Wailord has a massive HP stat, but its defenses are paper-thin without Curse, so strong attackers such as Stoutland and Ursaring can easily 2HKO Wailord. Special attackers such as Raichu and Zebstrika can also 2HKO Wailord with Thunderbolt, but they cannot directly switch into any of Wailord's attacks, especially Earthquake.

Last edited:

Twix

jicama
is a Contributor Alumnus
I feel like Residual Damage should be added to C&C as it lowers the power of Water Spout + Walrein has no recovery.

TONE

is a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I feel like Residual Damage should be added to C&C as it lowers the power of Water Spout + Walrein has no recovery.
I'll make a point of that. Nice Walrein mention btw.

Raiza

is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Championis a Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
World Defender
[OVERVIEW]
mention why it is outclassed
mention its niche, even if little(mainly access self destruct and curse)
mention that its typing isn't that great either

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========
mention waterfall is wailord's main attacking tool
mention self destruct is useful mainly to take out common switch ins such as Poliwrath and open holes for other teammates

Usage Tips
========
mention wailord ''shines'' into mid-game, where it is able to take down a foe with self destruct to ease the job of teammates
mention waterfall is the preferred move to use
mention self destruct should be used wisely
mention wailord shouldn't switch in or set up against status users as burn cripples it and toxic makes it worn down even more easily
mention wailord has to be careful about ghost-types as they can switch in on a predicted self destruct, especially missy which can also taunt or will-o-wisp it
also mention it has to be careful about setting up if the opponent carries moves such as trick and encore

Team Options
========
mention why it is best used on balanced teams
mention Pokemon that can take care of ghost-types
mention clerics

Checks and Counters
===================
add residual damage
add ghost-types, missy just destroys this
add trick and encore
add a category for strong attackers in general

TONE114 QC 1/3

TONE

[OVERVIEW]
mention why it is outclassed
mention its niche, even if little(mainly access self destruct and curse)
mention that its typing isn't that great either

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========
mention waterfall is wailord's main attacking tool
mention self destruct is useful mainly to take out common switch ins such as Poliwrath and open holes for other teammates

Usage Tips
========
mention wailord ''shines'' into mid-game, where it is able to take down a foe with self destruct to ease the job of teammates
mention waterfall is the preferred move to use
mention self destruct should be used wisely
mention wailord shouldn't switch in or set up against status users as burn cripples it and toxic makes it worn down even more easily
mention wailord has to be careful about ghost-types as they can switch in on a predicted self destruct, especially missy which can also taunt or will-o-wisp it
also mention it has to be careful about setting up if the opponent carries moves such as trick and encore

Team Options
========
mention why it is best used on balanced teams
mention Pokemon that can take care of ghost-types
mention clerics

Checks and Counters
===================
add residual damage
add ghost-types, missy just destroys this
add trick and encore
add a category for strong attackers in general

TONE114 QC 1/3
Finally implemented this. Ready for a second check.

Anty

let's drop
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
i dont think galbia was actually serious with the set lol, it is still outclassed as fuck so why not

overview:
'but has a tiny niche with access to both Curse and Self-Destruct.' - just bc it might be the only one to get those moves doesnt mean that it is a niche

Avalanche deserves a mention in the set somewhere imo, and eq isnt too important as it is mostly for neutral coverage so a slash sounds alright (either hitting water types or grass types w/o booming basically - also means u can touch gourgeist). I also used it in platinum battle factory and it put in a bit of work due to brightpowder hax

UT:
'Wailord should also be wary of poison as it will wear it down over time and limit Wailord's sweep.' - i think this set is meant to be used as a wallbreaker as there is no chance of it sweeping (this also affects the point below)

TO:
'Wailord is best used on balanced teams.' - you probably should also mention offensive teams - this also means that wish/heal bell support isnt relevant, maybe healing wish support? though that goes to sweepers not breakers generally

I also think you should mention sweepers that enjoy physical walls that are baited and KO'd, since that is what the set aims to do i think

c&c:
I dont think phasers are relevant enough for a whole section, esp when you have already mentioned one example and the other is p bad. If you chose to keep it at least move it right to the bottom. This is similar w/ trick and encore users, as dusk is the only user that would trick it and it would then get 2HKOd back + cannot touch it (also dusk would never be switched in from fear of a water spout). Volbeat is only used on sun which has like 3 grass types and kadabra isnt switching in so will basically never encore it (wailord will only really curse once)
For ghost types, gourgeist is a much better example as a counter as it walls the moveset, whereas missy cannot switch in and in a one on one situation, it may win, but it also ends up with like 20% health left

I dont really know what else to add so 2/3

you should mention that Selfdestruct is also a very helpful Roselia lure withot any curse up lol. it actually works

TONE

Alright I'll make a mention of that once I implement Anty's changes and write up the analysis.

TONE

Analysis has been written and in ready for a final check.

Mr. Uncompetitive

What makes us human?
is a Contributor Alumnus
amcheck. It's been a while though so apologies for any errors. :x

Additions
Removals
Comments

[OVERVIEW]

Wailord is a very mediorce Pokemon in PU, (AC) as it is outclassed as a physical Water-type attacker by the likes of Barbaracle, Carracosta, and Basculin due to their better offensive stats and capabilities, but access to Curse and Self-Destruct can make Wailord a decent sweeper with a way to deal out massive damage when its health gets low with Self-Destruct. It can also try to do a special attacking set, (AC) as Wailord's Attack and Special Attack stats are identical, but it is heavily outclassed by Pokemon such as Simipour and Floatzel in this regard. Wailord's low Speed and a lack of recovery makes it easy to wear down and KO by Pokemon such as Stoutland and Raichu. Its high base HP is downplayed by its terrible defenses and bad defensive typing, (AC) (still feels off to me...I'm no expert in PU but, generally, Water is a pretty good typing defensively) leaving it unable to take strong attacks. Wailord also needs a lot of team support to setup set up, (AC) as it doesn't hit that hard without Curse boosts unboosted.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Curse boosts Wailord's Attack and Defense at the cost of lowering its Speed. Waterfall is Wailord's Water-type STAB attacking tool attack (a tad less awkward phrasing. Plus, Wailord is a mono Water, so I don't think noting that it's specfically Water-type is needed), hitting Rock-, Ground-, and Fire-types such as Golem, Piloswine, and Rapidash super effectively. Earthquake provides Wailord with coverage against Electric-types such as Raichu and Zebstrika while also nailing other Water-types such as Pelipper (pretty sure Pelipper is a Flying-type...unless you mean when it uses Roost) and Simipour which resists Waterfall. Avalanche is an option over Earthquake, as it allows Wailord to hit Grass-types such as Gourgeist and Tangela harder, which resist Waterfall and would otherwise wall Wailord otherwise. Self-Destruct gives Wailord a last ditch effort to do damage against common switch-ins (add hyphen) such as Roselia and Pelipper at the expense of KOing itself and opening the way for a teammate to come in at the expense of KOing itself (I wouldn't think a free switch for a teammate could be considered a bad thing).

Set Details
========

Maximum investment in Attack along with an Adamant nature lets Wailord deal out the most possible as much damage as possible (feels less awkward). Maximum investment is placed in Special Defense instead of HP, (AC) as Wailord's HP is very high as it is, (RC) plus and it lets Wailord avoid being OHKOed by Raichu's and Zebstrika's Thunderbolt and OHKO them back either with Earthquake (or Self-Destruct? Waterfall?). The rest of the EVs are placed in Defense to minimize entry hazard damage. Life Orb boosts the power of Wailord's attacks at the cost of some health, while Leftovers gives Wailord passive recovery, (AC) letting it set up Curse easier. Water Veil is the preferred ability to prevent Wailord from being worn down by Scald burns or Will-O-Wisp.

Usage Tips
========
Due to Wailord's terrible defenses, it should avoid switching in on strong attacks, (AC) as it is easily worn down. Instead, (AC) bring Wailord in after a teammate has fainted, (RC) or from a slow Volt Switch, U-turn, or Baton Pass from Pokemon such as Pelipper and Probopass. Set up Curse against Pokemon that Wailord can force out or doesn't do much damage to it (awkward phrasing, plus imo if you're not able to do much damage it's kinda the same as being "forced out") such as Clefairy, but be mindful or of Taunt and Encore users such as Misdreavus and Kadabra, (AC) as it they will either stop it from setting up or provoke Wailord into doing so prevent Wailord from sweeping (I'm assuming that phrase was referring to Encore...cause that phrase just seems confusing). Waterfall is the primary move attack (the primary move is Curse) to use, while Earthquake should be used on predicted switches to Pokemon which resists Water, such as Roselia. Self-Destruct should be used only once Wailord's health gets low and should be used wisely, (AC) as an opposing Ghost-type such as Dusknoir and Gourgeist can switch in on Self-Destruct and take no damage from it. When Wailord's health gets low, it's (add apostrophe) best to use Self-Destruct to do maximum major damage to the foe and clear the way for a teammate to come in. Wailord should also be wary of poison, (AC) as it will wear it down over time and limit Wailord's ability to wallbreak. Wailord is best used late-game once all of its checks and counters are eliminated or weak enough for Wailord to take out on its own, but can be used early in the match to do immeadiate damage.

Team Options
========

Wailord is best used on balanced and offensive oriented teams to make use of its wallbreaking potential. Entry Wailord appreciates entry hazard support from Pokemon such as Roselia, Golem, and Probopass is appreciated for Wailord for to wearing down opposing foes Pokemon ("opposing foes" doesn't really make much sense). Electric-types such as Zebstrika and Raichu can deal with opposing Water-types for Wailord, particularlly Pelipper, (AC) which resists Waterfall and is immune to Earthquake, whereas Fire-types such as Rapidash and Ninetales can deal with opposing Grass-types which walls Wailord, making them good partners. Setup sweepers such as Ninetales and Barbaracle appreciate Wailord's wallbreaking capabilites, allowing them to set up easier more easily. The latter also appreciates physical walls worn down by Wailord. Healing Wish support from Pokemon such as Clefairy and Mr. Mime allows Wailord a second chance of at wallbreaking. Pokemon that can provide a slow Volt Switch, U-turn, or Baton Pass, such as Probopass allows Wailord to come in without taking any damage from opposing attacks (I mean you might still take hazard damage...).

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

An all-out attacking set with Choice Scarf with and a Jolly nature can be used, but it isn't worth the loss in power and Wailord is still outsped by Pokemon base 115 Speed Pokemon and higher such as Zebstrika. A Choice Specs set with Water Spout, Ice Beam, Hidden Power Electric, and either Hydro Pump / or Surf can be used, but it is outclassed by Floatzel, (AC) which has higher Speed and access to Switcheroo to cripple special walls. Toxic can cripple switch-ins (add hyphen) to Wailord such as Pelipper and Tangela.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Bulky Grass-types**: Grass-types such as Tangela and Gourgeist-XL resists Waterfall and Earthquake and can force it Wailord out with its their Grass-type STAB attacks, but can take a lot of damage from Avalanche. Quilladin can use wall (I'm not completely sure what to put here since I don't know how well Quilladin walls Wailord and the phrase is incomplete as is) Wailord and proceed to set up Spikes or phaze Wailord it out with Roar. Gogoat can set up Bulk Up as Wailord switches out.

**Bulky Water-types**: Pelipper walls Wailord, (AC) as it resists Waterfall and is immune to Earthquake and can proceed to heal off any damage with Roost, or whittle Wailord down with Air Slash, (AC) or possibly cripple it with Toxic. Defensive varients variants of Carracosta can easily wear down Wailord down with Toxic and Knock Off and can wall Wailord it if it Wailord isn't running Earthquake.

**Residual Damage**: Wailord is worn down by all forms of entry hazards and Life Orb recoil which will cut its sweep short. While Wailord can't be burned, being poisoned puts Wailord's life on a timer and wears it down over time.

**Strong Attackers**: Wailord does have has a massive HP stat, but its defenses are paper thin without Curse, so strong attackers such as Stoutland and Ursaring can easily 2HKO Wailord. Special attackers such as Raichu and Zebstrika can also 2HKO Wailord with Thunderbolt, but cannot directly switch in safely into any of Wailord's attacks, especially Earthquake.

**Trick and Encore Users**: Dusknoir can Trick Choice Band onto Wailord and possibly lock it into Curse and cripple it for the rest of the match, whereas Kadabra can Encore Wailord into Curse and either wear down Wailord with its attacks (Is there really anything else Kadabra would be doing to Wailord? If so, just make sure to add it in).

P Squared

a great unrecorded history
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
GP 1/2 + stamp
add remove comment
Mr. U, you have a great grasp on PokeGrammar! If I had to suggest anything, it would be to be careful around that/which, but very good check regardless.
[OVERVIEW]

Wailord is a very mediorce mediocre Pokemon in PU, (AC) as it is outclassed as a physical Water-type attacker by the likes of Barbaracle, Carracosta, and Basculin due to their better offensive stats and capabilities, but access to Curse and Self-Destruct can make Wailord a decent sweeper with a way to deal out massive damage when its health gets low with Self-Destruct. It can also try to do run a special attacking set, (AC) as Wailord's Attack and Special Attack stats are identical, but it is heavily outclassed by Pokemon such as Simipour and Floatzel in this regard. Wailord's low Speed and a lack of recovery makes it easy to wear down and KO by for Pokemon such as Stoutland and Raichu to wear it down and KO it. Its high base HP is downplayed by its terrible defenses and bad defensive typing, (AC) (still feels off to me...I'm no expert in PU but, generally, Water is a pretty good typing defensively) leaving it unable to take strong attacks. Wailord also needs a lot of team support to setup set up, (AC) as it doesn't hit that hard without Curse boosts unboosted.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Curse boosts Wailord's Attack and Defense at the cost of lowering its Speed. Waterfall is Wailord's Water-type STAB attacking tool attack (a tad less awkward phrasing. Plus, Wailord is a mono Water, so I don't think noting that it's specfically Water-type is needed), hitting Rock-, Ground-, and Fire-types such as Golem, Piloswine, and Rapidash super effectively. Earthquake provides Wailord with coverage against Electric-types such as Raichu and Zebstrika while also nailing other Water-types such as Pelipper (pretty sure Pelipper is a Flying-type...unless you mean when it uses Roost) and Simipour, (AC) which resists Waterfall. Avalanche is an option over Earthquake, as it allows Wailord to hit Grass-types such as Gourgeist and Tangela harder, which resist Waterfall and would otherwise wall Wailord otherwise. Self-Destruct gives Wailord a last(dash)ditch effort to do damage against common switch-ins (add hyphen) such as Roselia and Pelipper at the expense of KOing itself and opening (if you read this with the changes in mind, "opening" doesn't fit; OP, keep it as open) the way for a teammate to come in at the expense of KOing itself (I wouldn't think a free switch for a teammate could be considered a bad thing).

Set Details
========

Maximum investment in Attack along with an Adamant nature lets Wailord deal out the most possible as much damage as possible (feels less awkward). Maximum investment is placed in Special Defense instead of HP, (AC) as Wailord's HP is very high as it is, (RC) plus and it lets Wailord avoid being OHKOed by Raichu's and Zebstrika's Thunderbolt and OHKO them back either with Earthquake (or Self-Destruct? Waterfall?) (yeah, needs the other option, cause you said "either". because of parallelism, it's going to have to be phrased "either with Earthquake or with [move]"). The rest of the EVs are placed in Defense rather than HP to minimize entry hazard damage. Life Orb boosts the power of Wailord's attacks at the cost of some health, while Leftovers gives Wailord passive recovery, (AC) letting it set up Curse easier. Water Veil is the preferred ability to prevent Wailord from being worn down by Scald burns or Will-O-Wisp.

Usage Tips
========
Due to Wailord's terrible defenses, it should avoid switching in on strong attacks, (AC) as it is easily worn down. Instead, (AC) bring Wailord in after a teammate has fainted, (RC) or from a slow Volt Switch, U-turn, or Baton Pass from Pokemon such as Pelipper and Probopass and Pelipper. Set up Curse against Pokemon that Wailord can force out or doesn't do much damage to it (awkward phrasing, plus imo if you're not able to do much damage it's kinda the same as being "forced out") such as Clefairy, but be mindful or of Taunt and Encore users such as Misdreavus and Kadabra, (AC) as it they will either stop it from setting up or provoke Wailord into doing so prevent Wailord from sweeping (I'm assuming that phrase was referring to Encore...cause that phrase just seems confusing). Waterfall is the primary move attack (the primary move is Curse) to use, while Earthquake should be used on predicted switches to Pokemon that which resists Water, such as Roselia. Self-Destruct should be used only once Wailord's health gets low and should be used wisely, (AC) as an opposing Ghost-type such as Dusknoir and Gourgeist can switch in on Self-Destruct and take no damage from it. When Wailord's health gets low, it's (add apostrophe) best to use Self-Destruct to do maximum major damage to the foe and clear the way for a teammate to come in. Wailord should also be wary of poison, (AC) as it will wear it down over time and limit Wailord's ability to wallbreak. Wailord is best used late-game once all of its checks and counters are eliminated or weak enough for Wailord to take out on its own, but it can be used early in the match to do immeadiate damage.

Team Options
========

Wailord is best used on balanced and offensive oriented teams to make use of its wallbreaking potential. Entry Wailord appreciates entry hazard support from Pokemon such as Roselia, Golem, and Probopass is appreciated for Wailord for to wearing down opposing foes Pokemon ("opposing foes" doesn't really make much sense). Electric-types such as Zebstrika and Raichu can deal with opposing Water-types for Wailord, particularlly Pelipper, (AC) which resists Waterfall and is immune to Earthquake, whereas Fire-types such as Rapidash and Ninetales can deal with opposing Grass-types, (AC) which walls Wailord, making them good partners. Setup sweepers such as Ninetales and Barbaracle appreciate Wailord's wallbreaking capabilites, allowing them to set up easier more easily. The latter also appreciates physical walls being worn down by Wailord. Healing Wish support from Pokemon such as Clefairy and Mr. Mime allows Wailord a second chance of at wallbreaking. Pokemon that can provide a slow Volt Switch, U-turn, or Baton Pass, such as Probopass, (AC) allows Wailord to come in without taking any damage from attacks (I mean you might still take hazard damage...).

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

An all-out attacking set with Choice Scarf with and a Jolly nature can be used, but it isn't worth the loss in power and Wailord is still outsped by Pokemon base 115 Speed Pokemon and higher such as Zebstrika (aha, this example makes "and higher" - or some variant - necessary, because Zebstrika doesn't have base 115 Speed, it has base 116. I think the best phrase would be "and Wailord is still outsped by Pokemon with base 115 Speed and higher, such as Zebstrika." so if you could implement that, OP, that'd be great). A Choice Specs set with Water Spout, Ice Beam, Hidden Power Electric, and either Hydro Pump / or Surf can be used, but it is outclassed by Floatzel, (AC) which has higher Speed and access to Switcheroo to cripple special walls. Toxic can cripple switch-ins (add hyphen) to Wailord such as Pelipper and Tangela.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Bulky Grass-types**: Grass-types such as Tangela and Gourgeist-XL resists Waterfall and Earthquake and can force it Wailord out with its their Grass-type STAB attacks, but they can take a lot of damage from Avalanche. Quilladin can use wall (I'm not completely sure what to put here since I don't know how well Quilladin walls Wailord and the phrase is incomplete as is) (if "wall" isn't right, you could also say "Quilladin can use Wailord as setup fodder for Spikes or phaze it out with Roar") Wailord and proceed to set up Spikes or phaze Wailord it out with Roar. Gogoat can set up Bulk Up as Wailord switches out.

**Bulky Water-types**: Pelipper walls Wailord, (AC) as it resists Waterfall and is immune to Earthquake and can proceed to heal off any damage with Roost, or whittle Wailord down with Air Slash, (AC) or possibly cripple it with Toxic. Defensive varients variants of Carracosta can easily wear down Wailord down with Toxic and Knock Off and can wall Wailord it if it Wailord isn't running Earthquake.

**Residual Damage**: Wailord is worn down by all forms of entry hazards and Life Orb recoil, (AC) which will cut its sweep short. While Wailord can't be burned, being poisoned puts Wailord's life on a timer and wears it down over time.

**Strong Attackers**: Wailord does have has a massive HP stat, but its defenses are paper(dash)thin without Curse, so strong attackers such as Stoutland and Ursaring can easily 2HKO Wailord. Special attackers such as Raichu and Zebstrika can also 2HKO Wailord with Thunderbolt, but they cannot directly switch in safely into any of Wailord's attacks, especially Earthquake.

**Trick and Encore Users**: Dusknoir can Trick Choice Band onto Wailord and possibly lock it into Curse and cripple it for the rest of the match, whereas Kadabra can Encore Wailord into Curse and either wear down Wailord with its attacks (Is there really anything else Kadabra would be doing to Wailord? If so, just make sure to add it in).

Last edited:

Lumari

empty spaces
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris an Administrator Alumnus
TFP Leader
remove
add (Capitalize / Fix)

(comments); (AC=add comma; RC=remove comma; SC=semicolon)
[OVERVIEW]

Wailord is a very mediocre Pokemon in PU, as it is outclassed as a physical Water-type attacker by the likes of Barbaracle, Carracosta, and Basculin due to their better offensive stats and capabilities; (SC) but however, (AC) (stronger break is warranted imo) access to Curse and Self-Destruct can make Wailord a decent sweeper with a way to deal out massive damage when its health gets low. It can also try to run a special attacking set, as Wailord's Attack and Special Attack stats are identical, but it is heavily outclassed by Pokemon such as Simipour and Floatzel in this regard. Wailord's low Speed and lack of recovery make it easy for Pokemon such as Stoutland and Raichu to wear down and KO it. Its high base HP is downplayed offset ("downplay" isn't entire appropriate here imo, it isn't merely presented as less good, it is actually rendered less good) by its terrible defenses, leaving it unable to take strong attacks. Wailord also needs a lot of team support to set up, as it doesn't hit that hard unboosted.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Curse boosts Wailord's Attack and Defense at the cost of lowering its Speed. Waterfall is Wailord's STAB attack, hitting Rock-, Ground-, and Fire-types such as Golem, Piloswine, and Rapidash super effectively. Earthquake provides Wailord with coverage against Electric-types such as Raichu and Zebstrika while also nailing other Water-types such as Politoed and Simipour, which resist Waterfall. Avalanche is an option over Earthquake, as it allows Wailord to hit Grass-types such as Gourgeist and Tangela harder, which resist Waterfall and would otherwise wall Wailord. Self-Destruct gives Wailord a last-ditch effort to do damage against common switch-ins such as Roselia and Pelipper and open the way for a teammate to come in at the expense of KOing itself.

Set Details
========

Maximum investment in Attack along with an Adamant nature lets Wailord deal out as much damage as possible. Maximum investment is placed in Special Defense instead of HP, as Wailord's HP is very high as it is and it lets Wailord avoid being OHKOed by Raichu's and Zebstrika's Thunderbolt and OHKO them back with Earthquake. The rest of the leftover (idk, but "rest of" seems to imply there are more than 4, which is not as much the case when using this one) EVs are placed in Defense rather than HP to minimize entry hazard damage. Life Orb boosts the power of Wailord's attacks at the cost of some health, while Leftovers gives Wailord passive recovery, letting it set up Curse easier more easily. Water Veil is the preferred ability to prevent Wailord from being worn down by Scald burns or Will-O-Wisp.

Usage Tips
========

Due to Wailord's terrible defenses, it should avoid switching in on strong attacks, as it is easily worn down. Instead, bring Wailord in after a teammate has fainted or from a slow Volt Switch, U-turn, or Baton Pass from Pokemon such as Probopass and Pelipper. Set up Curse against Pokemon that Wailord can force out, (AC) such as Clefairy, but be mindful of Taunt and Encore users such as Misdreavus and Kadabra, as they will either stop it Wailord from setting up or prevent Wailord it from sweeping. Waterfall is the primary attack to use, while Earthquake should be used on predicted switches to Pokemon that resist Water, such as Roselia. Self-Destruct should be used only once Wailord's health gets low and should be used wisely, as an opposing Ghost-type such as Dusknoir and Gourgeist (specify which one cause you're not talking about Average. Or make it "Gourgeist formes") can switch in on Self-Destruct and take no damage from it. When Wailord's health gets low, it's best to use Self-Destruct to do major damage to the foe and clear the way for a teammate to come in. Wailord should also be wary of poison, as it will wear it down over time and limit Wailord's ability to wallbreak. Wailord is best used late-game once all of its checks and counters are eliminated or weak enough for Wailord to take out on its own, but it can be used early in the match to do immediate damage.

Team Options
========

Wailord is best used on balanced and offensive teams to make use of its wallbreaking potential. Wailord appreciates entry hazard support from Pokemon such as Roselia, Golem, and Probopass to wear down opposing Pokemon. Electric-types such as Zebstrika and Raichu can deal with opposing Water-types for Wailord, particularly Pelipper, which resists Waterfall and is immune to Earthquake, whereas Fire-types such as Rapidash and Ninetales can deal with opposing Grass-types, which wall Wailord, making them good partners. (kinda redundant and disturbs the sentence) Setup sweepers such as Ninetales and Barbaracle appreciate Wailord's wallbreaking capabilites capabilities, allowing them to set up more easily. The latter also appreciates physical walls being worn down by Wailord. Healing Wish support from Pokemon such as Clefairy and Mr. Mime allows Wailord a second chance at wallbreaking. Pokemon that can provide a slow Volt Switch, U-turn, or Baton Pass, such as Probopass, allow Wailord to come in without taking any damage from attacks.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

An all-out attacking set with Choice Scarf and a Jolly nature can be used, but it isn't worth the loss in power, (AC) and Wailord is still outsped by base 115 Speed Pokemon and higher, (AC) such as Zebstrika. A Choice Specs set with Water Spout, Ice Beam, Hidden Power Electric, and either Hydro Pump or Surf can be used, but it is outclassed by Floatzel, which has higher Speed and access to Switcheroo to cripple special walls. Toxic can cripple switch-ins to Wailord such as Pelipper and Tangela.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Bulky Grass-types**: Grass-types such as Tangela and Gourgeist-XL resist Waterfall and Earthquake and can force Wailord out with their Grass-type STAB attacks, but they can take a lot of damage from Avalanche. Quilladin can use Wailord as setup fodder for Spikes or phaze it out with Roar, (comma) and Gogoat can set up Bulk Up as Wailord switches out.

**Bulky Water-types**: Pelipper walls Wailord, as it resists Waterfall, (AC) and is immune to Earthquake, (AC) and can proceed to heal off any damage with Roost, whittle Wailord down with Air Slash, or possibly cripple it with Toxic. Defensive variants of Carracosta can easily wear Wailord down with Toxic and Knock Off and can wall it if Wailord isn't running Earthquake.

**Residual Damage**: Wailord is worn down by all forms of entry hazards and Life Orb recoil, which will cut its sweep short. While Wailord can't be burned, poison puts Wailord's life on a timer and wears it down over time.

**Strong Attackers**: Wailord has a massive HP stat, but its defenses are paper-thin without Curse, so strong attackers such as Stoutland and Ursaring can easily 2HKO Wailord. Special attackers such as Raichu and Zebstrika can also 2HKO Wailord with Thunderbolt, but they cannot directly switch into any of Wailord's attacks, especially Earthquake.

GP 2/2

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)