Pokémon Movepool Oddities & Explanations

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Stunfisk doesn't get Volt Switch. This might have been an oversight caused by its type change during development, but it's still odd that it's the only Electric-type that doesn't get it (Tynamo doesn't count).

Stunfisk doesn't get Volt Switch. This might have been an oversight caused by its type change during development, but it's still odd that it's the only Electric-type that doesn't get it (Tynamo doesn't count).
Yeah, but wasn't Stunfisk originally going to be a Water/Electric type?

Karxrida

It's been a week, I can double post.

You know how Flareon has no moves? Well, fuck you, it gets Zap Cannon via Gen II TM! Seriously though, what the hell.

Squirtle also gets it via a Gen II event, but at least that makes some sense because Blastoise has giant cannons to shoot it from.

Despite Rototiller boosting Attack and Special Attack of Grass-types, the only two Pokémon that can actually make use of it are Paras and Cacnea, both of which only get it through breeding.
EDIT:
It also just feels weird to me that Tornadus cannot use Roost despite its obviously Avian Therian form.
Then Tornadus would have no type for the rest of the turn.

Last edited:

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Togepi and its evolutions can learn Peck through breeding..
Sort of makes sense. The Togepi family seems to have some avian ancestry though with Togepi and Togetic it's not readily apparent. Also many animals you hatch from an egg usually have some sort of beak or tooth they use to break through the egg, so with Togepi being based on an egg it relates that way too (but since Togepi uses the Egg as a makeshift armor it doesn't want to completely break out of it egg shell).

Despite Rototiller boosting Attack and Special Attack of Grass-types, the only two Pokémon that can actually make use of it are Paras and Cacnea, both of which only get it through breeding.
Rotoriller I think is meant for Double Battles. Ground-types provide support for Grass-type allies so they can deal with those pesky Water-types and maybe other Grass-types (of course they both still got a problem with Ice-types).

Alakazam can learn Iron Tail

:')
Same deal with Primeape, previous evolution had a tail. I just assume they make a tail out of Steel energy when they use it (though why any member of the Abra family would have it in the first place would be the real mystery being Special Attackers).

And Drain Punch, Foul Play, Mega Kick/Punch, and of course Knock Off. Yeah, the Original 151 have the most ridiculous movepools, don't they?
What's so odd about Alakazam knowing those moves? Because its a Special Attacker? Sure, it does mean it won't be using those moves, but at the same time there's no reason it can't learn those moves. It has hands so it can punch (before the category split the elemental punches were commonly seen on Alakazam), it has feet it can kick with, and Foul Play I always imagined it being a tackle (though in the anime its presented as a toss).

Aegislash gets Head Smash, despite not having an head. What's more odd is the fact that Nosepass could learn Head Smash by breeding in Gen IV, but nothing in the Mineral group could pass it at the time, so it was just removed in Gen V. However, Gen VI introduced Aegislash which could pass it, yet Nosepass still can't learn it.
On that note:

Cubone wears a skull on its head; when it evolves into Marowak, the skull fuses to its head. Both have Rock Head. Neither learn Head Smash.

ಠ_ಠ

Cresselia~~

Junichi Masuda likes this!!
On that note:

Cubone wears a skull on its head; when it evolves into Marowak, the skull fuses to its head. Both have Rock Head. Neither learn Head Smash.

ಠ_ಠ
Maybe Aegislash can head smash because the whole thing is a head?

No wait, its body style is "Pokémon consisting of a head and a base" according to Bulbapedia.

Despite having Rock Head, Aerodactyl doesn't learn either of the recoil moves it would get STAB on.

I'm not sure why it's not able to learn Brave Bird when Zubat does, but that's Gamefreak for you.

Karxrida

Besides the obvious punching moves due to the lack of arms, Arceus cannot be taught: Scald, Volt Switch, U-turn, Taunt, Torment, Venoshock, Sludge Wave (it gets Sludge Bomb), and Bulk Up.

There are some more but those stuck out to me the most.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Besides the obvious punching moves due to the lack of arms, Arceus cannot be taught: Scald, Volt Switch, U-turn, Taunt, Torment, Venoshock, Sludge Wave (it gets Sludge Bomb), and Bulk Up.

There are some more but those stuck out to me the most.
Arceus not learning any move by TM is should have no problem learning is odd considering its, well, Arceus. At the very least they could have required it to change type in order to learn certain moves. *shrugs*

At least it can learn Draco Meteor, that's something Mew can't learn.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)