Hydreigon (Attacker Set Only) (QC 3/3) (Written) (GP 2/2)

Status
Not open for further replies.
[SET]
name: Special Attacker
move 1: Draco Meteor
move 2: Dark Pulse
move 3: Fire Blast / Earth Power / Tailwind
move 4: Protect
item: Life Orb
ability: Levitate
nature: Modest / Timid
evs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========
Draco Meteor is an extremely powerful attack that can hugely dent, if not outright KO, opposing Pokemon. This move should not be used randomly, though, as Hydreigon will almost certainly have to switch out after this move has been used due to the Special Attack drop. Dark Pulse is a weaker secondary STAB move that hits common Trick Room setters such as Cresselia and Slowbro for super effective damage. Unlike Draco Meteor, Dark Pulse has no drawbacks, so it can be used repeatedly, allowing Hydreigon to stay in for longer. Fire Blast has good coverage with Dragon-type attacks, hitting bulky Grass-types such as Ferrothorn, Amoonguss, and Mega Venusaur. Earth Power is another option for the third slot. Although it has slightly less Base Power, it hits Steel-types for super effective damage, nails Diancie on the switch, and deals more damage on average due to higher Base Power and better general coverage than Flash Cannon. If your team can cover the Pokemon that Fire Blast and Earth Power are supposed to hit, Tailwind is also an option for the third slot. With Hydreigon's passable defenses, it can tank a hit and set up Tailwind, providing speed control that gives your team momentum. Protect is good for wasting your opponent's turn and for playing mind games, allowing Hydreigon's partner to strike hard and possibly net a KO while Hydreigon protects itself from the attacks of the opposing Pokemon.

Set Details
========
252 Special Attack and Speed EVs allow Hydreigon to hit hard and fast, while the remaining 4 EVs are thrown into Special Defense. Modest is usually the better nature because it allows Hydreigon to hit as hard as possible. A Timid nature can be used to Speed tie with opposing Hydreigon and allows Hydreigon to outspeed anything below base 97 Speed. A Timid nature also allows Hydreigon to outspeed Adamant Mega Kangaskhan and other neutral-natured base 100 Speed Pokemon, though Hydreigon can only 2HKO Mega Kangaskhan, not to mention that Mega Kangaskhan will have a partner helping her. Life Orb allows Hydreigon to hit as hard as possible while still being able to change moves without switching out.

Usage Tips
========
Hydreigon can be used early-game to KO a threat to your team with Draco Meteor, and later on it can be used to pick off opposing Pokemon with Dark Pulse and other coverage moves. If Draco Meteor deals more than 66% to the foe, use it again to net a KO rather than immediately switching out. Hydreigon performs well against bulky offense teams because of its decent bulk and high power. Common Pokemon on said teams, such as Heatran and Ferrothorn, struggle to deal any meaningful damage to Hydreigon, while Hydreigon can OHKO Heatran with Earth Power and deal heavy damage to Ferrothorn with Fire Blast. Hydreigon also has a good matchup against Trick Room teams because few setters like to take hits from it. Dark Pulse hits the majority of Trick Room setters, such as Cresselia, Slowbro, and Chandelure, for super effective damage, and those that aren't hit super effectively are usually 2HKOed by Earth Power. Despite Hydreigon's good defensive typing and bulk, try to only switch it in on weaker resisted hits such as Thunderbolt from Rotom-W or Thundurus.

Team Options
========
Aegislash is a great partner for Hydreigon due to their near-perfect offensive and defensive synergy. Aegislash can deal with Mega Gardevoir, Sylveon, and Mega Diancie with Flash Cannon, use Wide Guard to stop common spread moves such as Rock Slide and Hyper Voice, and easily switch into powerful Fighting- and Dragon-type moves such as Keldeo's Secret Sword and opposing Draco Meteor. Aegislash also beats Mega Metagross one-on-one, which is important because Hydreigon loses to Mega Metagross if it carries Hammer Arm. Offensive Steel-types such as Mega Metagross, Heatran, and the previously mentioned Aegislash are good partners because they can deal with pesky Fairies that would otherwise demolish Hydreigon, and Hydreigon can easily switch in on many of their weaknesses in return. Bulky Steel-types such as Ferrothorn can take many hits that Hydreigon would not want to take. Just watch out for Fighting-type moves, which hit both Hydreigon and bulky Steel-types for super effective damage. Mega Gardevoir and Sylveon can switch in on and demolish the Fighting-types that give Hydreigon trouble, and Hydreigon can weaken or KO most of their checks with Draco Meteor, Dark Pulse, and Earth Power in return. Mega Gardevoir can use Ally Switch as a form of redirection because it can eat up Draco Meteor and Close Combat, while Hydreigon can tank Shadow Ball and Steel-type moves for Mega Gardevoir with relative ease. Redirectors such as Jirachi, Togekiss, and Amoonguss help Hydreigon switch in for free so that it may use Draco Meteor. Landorus-T can beat Mega Diancie, can safely use Earthquake next to Hydreigon because of Hydreigon's Levitate, and has Intimidate to weaken the foes' Attack, augmenting Hydreigon's physical bulk. Fake Out support from Pokemon such as Mega Kangaskhan can help Hydreigon net KOs that it would narrowly miss out on under normal circumstances. Fake Out support can also help Hydreigon set up Tailwind if you opt to run it. With Thunder Wave and Icy Wind, Thundurus and Cresselia help out with Hydreigon's Speed. Cresselia is an especially good partner due to her good type synergy with Hydreigon and her ability to set up Trick Room for semi-Trick Room teams, which Hydreigon shines on.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is my first time writing an analysis, so bear with me. I'll probably have a ton of stupid questions about what changes you tell me to make and when to do what. My main question right now is does anyone think that Choice Scrf is viable / should I add it to the analysis? I've used it on a team before from early ORAS and it worked decently well. Also, what are other team options for Hydreigon? It's late so all I could think of to put down was Aegislash.

shaian

you love to see it
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
quick tips:

1. you don't have an overview... how?_?
2. if modest is the suggested nature on the set, slash it first
3. 252+ Atk Parental Bond Mega Kangaskhan Return vs. 0 HP / 88 Def Hydreigon: 265-312 (81.5 - 96%) -- guaranteed 2HKO -- ditch that alt spread cuz it clearly doesn't do what you said it does (unless you calc'd with regular kanga, which in that case you need to learn to use the damage calc friend)
4. scarf doesn't need more than a mention in oo if anything, along with specs and haban (cuz hydrei is like the slowest dragon so haban lets it win 1 on 1s)

also team options:
steel types likes metagross, aegislash, ferro, and heatran -> some of the best fairy resists / killers
aegis also has wide guard for sylv / gard hyper voice spam + they also have like the best defensive synergy in terms of typing + ability oml
notable redirection partners like amoong, clef family, jirachi
if you ever use twind than fake out (BAN ME PLEASE) for that turn 1 wind -> kanga is great for dis
gardevoir + sylv also make good partners since they easily clean fighting types + hydrei eats up aegis / bulkier steels pretty easily
lando-t cuz eq partner + beats diancie + intimidate

quick tips:

1. you don't have an overview... how?_?
2. if modest is the suggested nature on the set, slash it first
3. 252+ Atk Parental Bond Mega Kangaskhan Return vs. 0 HP / 88 Def Hydreigon: 265-312 (81.5 - 96%) -- guaranteed 2HKO -- ditch that alt spread cuz it clearly doesn't do what you said it does (unless you calc'd with regular kanga, which in that case you need to learn to use the damage calc friend)
4. scarf doesn't need more than a mention in oo if anything, along with specs and haban (cuz hydrei is like the slowest dragon so haban lets it win 1 on 1s)

also team options:
steel types likes metagross, aegislash, ferro, and heatran -> some of the best fairy resists / killers
aegis also has wide guard for sylv / gard hyper voice spam + they also have like the best defensive synergy in terms of typing + ability oml
notable redirection partners like amoong, clef family, jirachi
if you ever use twind than fake out (BAN ME PLEASE) for that turn 1 wind -> kanga is great for dis
gardevoir + sylv also make good partners since they easily clean fighting types + hydrei eats up aegis / bulkier steels pretty easily
lando-t cuz eq partner + beats diancie + intimidate
I checked how xzern was doing the rewrite of the one gengar set to use as an example for my rewrite, and he just did the set, not a whole analysis.
I'll slash modest first
I used regular Kang I guess ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Ok

Adding all those team options now

Pocket

be the upgraded version of me
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Gardevoir is also great for Ally Switch. Gardevoir can swap places with Hydreigon to take a Draco Meteor, Close Combat, Ice Beam, etc while Hydreigon eats up a Shadow Ball or Sucker Punch and set up Tailwind.

xzern

for sure
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
oopsie daisies

Moves
  • i think that you could add some mention about how dragon pulse seem like an appealing option because of how it increases hydreigon's staying power, but in practice, dragon pulse is just very underwhelming compared to draco. also, u have dark pulse anyway if you need to increase staying power or whatever
  • tailwind doesn't really carry any surprise factor tbh. most hydreigons ive seen carry this move. you could also mention how hydreigon is a great tailwind setter cuz of its natural bulk and good defensive typing.
  • on earth power: rock types? like what? the only relevant one that comes to mind is diancie, so you could just say that earth power is good for doing damage on diancie on the switch and also how it has better coverage than flash cannon.
Set Details
  • i reeeeeeeealy dont like the mention of haban berry and i feel like hydreigon just misses out on so much power when it opts to use a berry over life orb. sure you can live a dragon attack and then ko the opposing dragon, but this is doubles and you can just have a teammate that kills dragons. my opinion is that you should ditch the berry and just talk about life orb, but i'll let you do what you want with that point.

everything else looks fine, adding anything to your usage tips/team options's notes would probably just be beating around the bush
once you implement this check, tag me and i'll probably give you the nice 1/3

xzern

for sure
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I think that, in set details, you could also say how you aren't outspeeding much with base 98 and that's one of the main reasons that Modest is recommended over Timid. Like you said, Timid is really only for hitting other Hydreigons, but you miss out on some power. However, another one of Timid's merits is that it can outspeed neutral base 100's, most notably Adamant Mega Kangaskhan. Of course, using Timid just for the purpose of outspeeding Adamant Mega Kangaskhan is a bit silly, when you consider that you can't do much other than 2hko it anyway and that Jolly is also prominent. I still think that it's worth mentioning, though, since you can double target it with an ally or attack one of Kangaskhan's teammates before Kangaskhan can kill you.

Once you do that, you're good for the check.

1/3

shaian

you love to see it
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Hydreigon's excellent defenses allow it to tank a hit and set up
no, it's bulk is passable

Usage Tips:
- Excellent vs defensive teams (think venu / heatran / rotom-w) cuz coverage can break them down easily whilst they struggle to do relevant damage
- Good vs Trick Room setters since the vast majority of them take se from dark pulse + cant do much to it unless they use up a moveslot for coverage option
- even though it has good defensive typing it doesn't necessarily /like/ to switch in on shit, like its fine to let it come in on ghosts or darks but neutral moves and even strong resisted hits take out large amounts (lol this thing is not a true zard switchin at all - your sentence makes it sound like you could actually do that)

Team Options:
- speed control nigs like thundurus cuz yellow magic, niggas like cress cuz t-wave / icy wind + good type synergy
- also mention aegislash is good vs mega metagross because mgross is a psychic type that beats hydrei (cuz hammer arm) which is like not cool

shaian

you love to see it
oh yeah, and don't mention mega metagross as a bulky steel you hit with fire blast since dark pulse ohkoes it and is a primary stab. basically with the 3rd option you have fire blast for grass-types like amoong and venu and earth power is primarily for heatran and bisharp. everything else they hit is just gravy, figure out which one your team is weaker to and then pick the last slot.

shaian

you love to see it
[12:45:07] @SpaceBass: Tell qazoo to write up hydreigon
[12:45:09] @SpaceBass: Before you go
[12:45:16] @SpaceBass: You need to stamp it
[12:45:21] @shaian: imma go read manga instead
[12:45:21] @SpaceBass: He did your check
[12:45:29] @SpaceBass: Just post 2/3 you hippie

2/3, write it up dude

SpaceBass

☆ALOLA VERA420: FUKK AMOONGUS AND UR MOM
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Moves:
  • Not sure about mentioning Dragon Pulse in there, it really shouldn't be used and I don't see the point in taking up the space. Not sure how others feel about this though so some more input is needed I think
  • Try to oversell Tailwind less, it's not bad but the coverage is almost always nicer, reflect this
Team Options:
  • "Landorous Therian can beat Diancie, has intimidate to boost Hydreigon's physical defense" - Just a little wording thing, I'd rather you said something like "Intimidate allows Hydreigon to take physical hits better" as Intim technically doesn't boost its def, it lowers opposing attack.
  • "Hydreigon sits in an awkward speed tier where it's too fast to be on Trick Room" - Modest Hydrei is actually alright on semi room, so remove the part about being too fast for Trick Room and mention it when you mention Cresselia
Other than that it seems alright, add these and 3/3

Last edited:
amcheck
Add
(AC) = Add Comma
Remove
(RC) = Remove Comma
(Comments)

[SET]
move 3: Fire Blast / Earth Power / Tail Wind Tailwind

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Draco Meteor is an extremely powerful nuke attack that can make a huge hugely dents, if not out right KOing, the opposing pokemon. This move should not be thrown out used randomly though, because as Hydreigon will almost certainly have to switch out after this move has been used due to the Special Attack drop it halfing Hydreigon's special attack. Dark Pulse is a weaker secondary STAB move that hits common Trick Room setters like such as Cresselia (maybe give another example if you can think of one. If not, "setters" should not be plural) for super effective damage. Another other reason to use this move over simply clicking Draco is that it Unlike Draco Meteor,(AC) Dark Pulse has no drawbacks,(RC) so it may can be used repeatedly repeatidly and therefore allowing Hydreigon to stay in for longer. Fire Blast has good coverage with Dragon-type attacks moves, roasting bulky Grass-types(add hyphen) like such as Ferrothorn, Amoonguss, and Mega Venusaur. Earth Power is another option for the third slot. Although it It has slightly less base power, but it still hits Steels Steel-types for super effective damage, as well as nailing nails Diancie on the switch,(AC) and it deals more damage on average and has better general coverage than Flash Cannon. If your team can cover the things Pokemon that Fire Blast and Earth Power are supposed to hit, then Tailwind Tail Wind is also an option for the third slot. With Hydreigon's passable defenses, it can tank a hit and set up Tailwind It provides providing speed control that gives your team momentum and Hydreigon's passable defenses allow it to tank a hit and set up. Protect is a great move in doubles. It's good for wasting your opponent's(add apostrophe) turn and for playing mind games, allowing your partner to strike hard and possibly netting a KO while your opponent attacks a protected Hydreigon.

Set Details
========

252 Special Attack and Speed EVs allow Hydreigon to hit hard and fast, while the remaining 4 EVs were are thrown into Special Defense Defence. Modest is usually the better nature,(RC) because it allows allowing Hydreigon to hit as hard as possible. A Timid nature can be used to win in against the Hydreigon mirror ditto (I think this was what u meant ?_?) and allows Hydreigon you to outspeed anything below base 97 Speed speed. As well a timid A Timid nature also allows Hydreigon to outspeed Adamant Mega Kangaskhan Kangaskahn and other not non-max Speed speed base 100s, althogh although Hydreigon does not do much to Kangaskhan Kanghaskahn besides 2HKO it, not to mention that Kangaskhan will have partners helping her and it'll have partners to help with her. Life Orb is the chosen item because it allows you to hit as hard as possible while still being able to change moves without switching out.

Usage Tips
========

Hydreigon is a Pokemon pokemon that is useful throughout the game. It can be used early-game (add hyphen) to nuke KO (I, personally, hate "nuke". Can you imagine a Pokemon nuking another?) a threat to your team with Draco Meteor, and later on it can be used to pick off opposing Pokemon pokemon with Dark Pulse and whatever other coverage moves you decide on. If Draco Meteor deals more than 66% to the foe your opponent, use it again to net a KO rather than immediately switching out. It is good against bulky offense teams because of its decent bulk and high power. Common Pokemon pokemon on said those teams, such as Heatran and Mega Venusaur, struggle to deal any meaningful damage to Hydreigon while Hydreigon can OHKO Heatran with Earth Power and deal heavy damage to Venusaur with Fire Blast and Draco Meteor. Hydreigon also has a good Trick Room trick room matchup because few setters like to take hits from it. Dark Pulse hits the majority of Trick Room setters (examples maybe?) them for super effective damage, and those that aren't are usually 2HKOed by Earth Power. Despite Hydreigon's it's good defensive typing and bulk, try to only switch it in on weaker resisted hits like such as Thunder Bolt Thunderbolt from Rotom-Wash or Thundurus Thunderous.

Team Options
========
Aegislash is a great partner for with Hydreigon due to their near perfect offensive and defensive synergy. Aegislash can also deal with with Mega Gardevoir Guardavoir, Sylveon, and Mega Diancie with Flash Cannon, use Wide Guard to stop common spread moves such as like Rock Slide and Hyper Voice, and can easily switch into powerful Fighting-(add hyphen) and Dragon-type(add hyphen) moves such as Moves like Keldeo's Secret Sword and opposing Draco Meteors. It Aegislash also beats Mega Metagross 1 on 1 which is something Hydreigon loses to looses too if Metagross carries Hammer Arm. Offensive Steels Steel-types such as like Mega Metagross, Heatran and the previously mentioned Aegislash are also good partners because they can deal with pesky Fairies fairies that would otherwise demolish Hydreigon, and while Hydreigon can easily switch in on many of their weaknesses. Bulky Steel-types such as Steels like Ferrothorn can switch in for Hydreigon and can take many hits that Hydreigon would not want to take. Just watch out for Fighting-type(add hyphen) moves that can hit both,(AC) Hydreigon and Bulky Steel-types,(AC) of them for super effective damage. Mega Gardevoir Guardavoir and Sylveon can switch in on and demolish the fighting Fighting-types(add hyphen) that give Hydreigon trouble, and while Hydreigon can weaken or KO most of their checks with Draco Meteor, Dark Pulse,(AC) and Earth Power. Gardevoir can use Ally Swap as a form of redirection too because Gardevoir can eat up Draco Meteors and Close Combats, while Hydreigon can tank plenty of Shadow Balls and steel Steel-type moves for Gardevoir with relative ease. Redirectors like such as Jirachi, Togekiss,(AC) and Amoonguss help Hydreigon get switch in for free so that it may fire off its Draco Meteors. Offensive redirection through means such as Gardevoir's Ally Swap are also good because of their good offensive and defensive synergy. Landorous Therian Landorus-T can beat Diancie, can safely use Earthquake next to Hydreigon because of Hydreigon's Levitate, and has Intimidate intimidate to weaken the foes' your opponent's physical attack, augmenting hydreigon's Hydreigon's physical physiscal bulk. Fake Out support from Pokemon such as Kangaskhan things like Kanghiskahn can help Hydreigon net KOes that it would narrowly miss out on under normal circumstances. Fake Out out support can also help Hydreigon set up Tailwind tail wind if you opt to run it. With Thunder Wave and Icy Wind, Thundurus and Cresselia help out with Hydreigon's Speed speed. Cresselia is an especially good partner due to her good type synergy with Hydreigon, and she can her ability to set up Trick Room for Semi-TR teams, which is a team archetype that Hydreigon shine's(remove apostrophe) on.

Watch the spacing in between the bolded and your text. This is an amcheck, so it does not count towards your 2 GPs.

Empress

Don't waffle or you'll get pancaked
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
F1s add
F1s remove
F1s comment

Snobalt add
Snobalt remove
Snobalt comment

[SET]
move 3: Fire Blast / Earth Power / Tail Wind Tailwind

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Draco Meteor is an extremely powerful nuke attack that can make a huge hugely ("hugely" is fine) dents, if not out right outright KOing, the ("the" is unnecessary because there are two foes) opposing pokemon Pokemon. This move should not be thrown out used randomly, (AC) though, because as Hydreigon will almost certainly have to switch out after this move has been used due to the Special Attack drop it halfing Hydreigon's special attack. Dark Pulse is a weaker secondary STAB move that hits common Trick Room setters like such as Cresselia (maybe give another example if you can think of one. If not, "setters" should not be plural) for super effective damage. Another other reason to use this move over simply clicking Draco is that it Unlike Draco Meteor,(AC) Dark Pulse has no drawbacks,(RC) (the comma should stay) so it may can be used repeatedly, (AC) repeatidly and therefore ("therefore" is not needed) allowing Hydreigon to stay in for longer. Fire Blast has good coverage with Dragon-type attacks moves, roasting hitting bulky Grass-types(add hyphen) like such as Ferrothorn, Amoonguss, and Mega Venusaur. Earth Power is another option for the third slot. Although it It has slightly less base power Base Power, but it still hits Steels Steel-types for super effective damage, as well as nailing nails Diancie on the switch,(AC) and it deals more damage on average (Do you mean its higher Base Power or better coverage? Specify.) and has better general coverage than Flash Cannon. If your team can cover the things Pokemon that Fire Blast and Earth Power are supposed to hit, then Tailwind Tail Wind is also an option for the third slot. With Hydreigon's passable defenses, it can tank a hit and set up Tailwind, (AC) It provides providing speed control that gives your team momentum and Hydreigon's passable defenses allow it to tank a hit and set up. Protect is a great move in doubles. It's good for wasting your opponent's(add apostrophe) turn and for playing mind games, allowing your Hydreigon's partner to strike hard and possibly netting a KO while your opponent attacks a protected Hydreigon protects itself from the attacks of the opposing Pokemon.

Set Details
========

252 Special Attack and Speed EVs allow Hydreigon to hit hard and fast, while the remaining 4 EVs were are thrown into Special Defense Defence. Modest is usually the better nature,(RC) because it allows allowing Hydreigon to hit as hard as possible. A Timid nature can be used to win in against ("against" is not needed) the Speed tie with opposing Hydreigon mirror ("mirror" is not needed) ditto (I think this was what u meant ?_?) and allows Hydreigon you to outspeed anything below base 97 Speed speed. As well a timid A Timid nature also allows Hydreigon to outspeed Adamant Mega Kangaskhan Kangaskahn and other not non-max Speed (use "neutral-natured") speed base 100s Speed Pokemon, althogh though Hydreigon does not do much to can only 2HKO Mega Kangaskhan Kanghaskahn besides 2HKO it, not to mention that Mega Kangaskhan will have a partner helping it and it'll have partners to help with her. Life Orb is the chosen item because it allows you Hydreigon to hit as hard as possible while still being able to change moves without switching out.

Usage Tips
========

Hydreigon is a Pokemon pokemon that is useful throughout the game. It (fluff) can be used early-game (add hyphen) to nuke KO (I, personally, hate "nuke". Can you imagine a Pokemon nuking another?) a threat to your team with Draco Meteor, and later on it can be used to pick off opposing Pokemon pokemon with Dark Pulse and whatever other coverage moves you decide on. If Draco Meteor deals more than 66% to the foe your opponent, use it again to net a KO rather than immediately switching out. It is good Hydreigon performs well against bulky offense teams because of its decent bulk and high power. Common Pokemon pokemon on said those teams, such as Heatran and Mega Venusaur, struggle to deal any meaningful damage to Hydreigon while Hydreigon can OHKO Heatran with Earth Power and deal heavy damage to Mega Venusaur with Fire Blast (are you sure?) and Draco Meteor. Hydreigon also has a good matchup against Trick Room teams trick room matchup because few setters like to take hits from it. Dark Pulse hits the majority of Trick Room setters (examples maybe?) them for super effective damage, and those that aren't are usually 2HKOed by Earth Power. Despite Hydreigon's it's good defensive typing and bulk, try to only switch it in on weaker resisted hits like such as Thunder Bolt Thunderbolt from Rotom-Wash or Thundurus Thunderous.

Team Options
========
Aegislash is a great partner for with Hydreigon due to their near perfect offensive and defensive synergy. Aegislash can also deal with with Mega Gardevoir Guardavoir, Sylveon, and Mega Diancie with Flash Cannon, use Wide Guard to stop common spread moves such as like Rock Slide and Hyper Voice, and can easily switch into powerful Fighting-(add hyphen) and Dragon-type(add hyphen) moves such as Moves like Keldeo's Secret Sword and opposing Draco Meteors. It Aegislash also beats Mega Metagross 1 on 1 one-on-one, which is something important because Hydreigon loses to looses too if Mega Metagross if it carries Hammer Arm. Offensive Steels Steel-types such as like Mega Metagross, Heatran, (AC) and the previously mentioned Aegislash are also good partners because they can deal with pesky Fairies fairies that would otherwise demolish Hydreigon, and while ("and" is fine) Hydreigon can easily switch in on many of their weaknesses in return. Bulky Steel-types such as Steels like Ferrothorn can switch in for Hydreigon and can take many hits that Hydreigon would not want to take. Just watch out for Fighting-type(add hyphen) moves, which that can hit both,(AC) (don't add the comma) Hydreigon and Bulky Steel-types,(AC) (don't add the comma) of them for super effective damage. Mega Gardevoir Guardavoir and Sylveon can switch in on and demolish the fighting Fighting-types(add hyphen) that give Hydreigon trouble, and while ("and" is fine) Hydreigon can weaken or KO most of their checks with Draco Meteor, Dark Pulse,(AC) and Earth Power in return. Mega Gardevoir can use Ally Swap Switch as a form of redirection too because Gardevoir it can eat up Draco Meteors and Close Combats, while Hydreigon can tank plenty of Shadow Balls and steel Steel-type moves for Gardevoir with relative ease. Redirectors like such as Jirachi, Togekiss,(AC) and Amoonguss help Hydreigon get switch in for free so that it may fire off its use Draco Meteors. Offensive redirection through means such as Mega Gardevoir's Ally Swap are also good because of their good offensive and defensive synergy. (you said this already >_>) Landorous Therian Landorus-T can beat Mega Diancie, can safely use Earthquake next to Hydreigon because of Hydreigon's Levitate, and has Intimidate intimidate to weaken the foes' your opponent's physical attack Attack, augmenting hydreigon's Hydreigon's physical physiscal bulk. Fake Out support from Pokemon such as Mega Kangaskhan things like Kanghiskahn can help Hydreigon net KOes that it would narrowly miss out on under normal circumstances. Fake Out out support can also help Hydreigon set up Tailwind tail wind if you opt to run it. With Thunder Wave and Icy Wind, Thundurus and Cresselia help out with Hydreigon's Speed speed. Cresselia is an especially good partner due to her good type synergy with Hydreigon, (RC) and she can her ability to set up Trick Room for Semi-TR semi-Trick Room teams, which is a team archetype that Hydreigon shine's(remove apostrophe) on.

Well. ForgottenOnes I commend the work you put into this because there were SO many changes that had to be made. This is also pretty messy so I'm gonna make a copypaste of it.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========
Draco Meteor is an extremely powerful attack that can hugely dent, if not outright KO, opposing Pokemon. This move should not be used randomly, though, as Hydreigon will almost certainly have to switch out after this move has been used due to the Special Attack drop. Dark Pulse is a weaker secondary STAB move that hits common Trick Room setters such as Cresselia (maybe give another example if you can think of one. If not, "setters" should not be plural) for super effective damage. Unlike Draco Meteor, Dark Pulse has no drawbacks, so it can be used repeatedly, allowing Hydreigon to stay in for longer. Fire Blast has good coverage with Dragon-type attacks, hitting bulky Grass-types such as Ferrothorn, Amoonguss, and Mega Venusaur. Earth Power is another option for the third slot. Although it has slightly less Base Power, it hits Steel-types for super effective damage, nails Diancie on the switch, and deals more damage on average (Do you mean its higher Base Power or better coverage? Specify.) and has better general coverage than Flash Cannon. If your team can cover the Pokemon that Fire Blast and Earth Power are supposed to hit, then Tailwind is also an option for the third slot. With Hydreigon's passable defenses, it can tank a hit and set up Tailwind, providing speed control that gives your team momentum . Protect is good for wasting your opponent's turn and for playing mind games, allowing Hydreigon's partner to strike hard and possibly net a KO while Hydreigon protects itself from the attacks of the opposing Pokemon.

Set Details
========
252 Special Attack and Speed EVs allow Hydreigon to hit hard and fast, while the remaining 4 EVs are thrown into Special Defense. Modest is usually the better nature because it allows Hydreigon to hit as hard as possible. A Timid nature can be used to Speed tie with opposing Hydreigon and allows Hydreigon to outspeed anything below base 97 Speed. A Timid nature also allows Hydreigon to outspeed Adamant Mega Kangaskhan and other neutral-natured base 100 Speed Pokemon, though Hydreigon can only 2HKO Mega Kangaskhan, not to mention that Mega Kangaskhan will have a partner helping her. Life Orb allows Hydreigon to hit as hard as possible while still being able to change moves without switching out.

Usage Tips
========
Hydreigon can be used early-game to KO a threat to your team with Draco Meteor, and later on it can be used to pick off opposing Pokemon with Dark Pulse and other coverage moves. If Draco Meteor deals more than 66% to the foe, use it again to net a KO rather than immediately switching out. Hydreigon performs well against bulky offense teams because of its decent bulk and high power. Common Pokemon on said teams, such as Heatran and Mega Venusaur, struggle to deal any meaningful damage to Hydreigon, while Hydreigon can OHKO Heatran with Earth Power and deal heavy damage to Mega Venusaur with Fire Blast (are you sure?) and Draco Meteor. Hydreigon also has a good matchup against Trick Room teams because few setters like to take hits from it. Dark Pulse hits the majority of Trick Room setters (examples maybe?) for super effective damage, and those that aren't are usually 2HKOed by Earth Power. Despite Hydreigon's good defensive typing and bulk, try to only switch it in on weaker resisted hits such as Thunderbolt from Rotom-W or Thundurus.

Team Options
========
Aegislash is a great partner for Hydreigon due to their near-perfect offensive and defensive synergy. Aegislash can deal with with Mega Gardevoir, Sylveon, and Mega Diancie with Flash Cannon, use Wide Guard to stop common spread moves such as Rock Slide and Hyper Voice, and can easily switch into powerful Fighting- and Dragon-type moves such as Keldeo's Secret Sword and opposing Draco Meteor. Aegislash also beats Mega Metagross one-on-one, which is important because Hydreigon loses to Mega Metagross if it carries Hammer Arm. Offensive Steel-types such as Mega Metagross, Heatran, and the previously mentioned Aegislash are good partners because they can deal with pesky Fairies that would otherwise demolish Hydreigon, and Hydreigon can easily switch in on many of their weaknesses in return. Bulky Steel-types such as Ferrothorn can take many hits that Hydreigon would not want to take. Just watch out for Fighting-type moves, which hit both Hydreigon and bulky Steel-types for super effective damage. Mega Gardevoir and Sylveon can switch in on and demolish the Fighting-types that give Hydreigon trouble, and Hydreigon can weaken or KO most of their checks with Draco Meteor, Dark Pulse, and Earth Power in return. Mega Gardevoir can use Ally Switch as a form of redirection because it can eat up Draco Meteor and Close Combat, while Hydreigon can tank Shadow Ball and Steel-type moves for Mega Gardevoir with relative ease. Redirectors such as Jirachi, Togekiss, and Amoonguss help Hydreigon switch in for free so that it may use Draco Meteor. Landorus-T can beat Mega Diancie, can safely use Earthquake next to Hydreigon because of Hydreigon's Levitate, and has Intimidate to weaken the foes' Attack, augmenting Hydreigon's physical bulk. Fake Out support from Pokemon such as Mega Kangaskhan can help Hydreigon net KOes that it would narrowly miss out on under normal circumstances. Fake Out support can also help Hydreigon set up Tailwind if you opt to run it. With Thunder Wave and Icy Wind, Thundurus and Cresselia help out with Hydreigon's Speed. Cresselia is an especially good partner due to her good type synergy with Hydreigon and her ability to set up Trick Room for semi-Trick Room teams, which Hydreigon shines on.

GP 1/2

Thanks! I added in your check (thank you for the C/P), and reworded some things where you put questions or comments to make it more accurate.

P Squared

a great unrecorded history
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
2/2

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========
Draco Meteor is an extremely powerful attack that can hugely dent, if not outright KO, opposing Pokemon. This move should not be used randomly, though, as Hydreigon will almost certainly have to switch out after this move has been used due to the Special Attack drop. Dark Pulse is a weaker secondary STAB move that hits common Trick Room setters such as Cresselia and Slowbro for super effective damage. Unlike Draco Meteor, Dark Pulse has no drawbacks, so it can be used repeatedly, allowing Hydreigon to stay in for longer. Fire Blast has good coverage with Dragon-type attacks, hitting bulky Grass-types such as Ferrothorn, Amoonguss, and Mega Venusaur. Earth Power is another option for the third slot. Although it has slightly less Base Power, it hits Steel-types for super effective damage, nails Diancie on the switch, and deals more damage on average due to higher Base Power and better general coverage than Flash Cannon. If your team can cover the Pokemon that Fire Blast and Earth Power are supposed to hit, then Tailwind is also an option for the third slot. With Hydreigon's passable defenses, it can tank a hit and set up Tailwind, providing speed control that gives your team momentum. Protect is good for wasting your opponent's turn and for playing mind games, allowing Hydreigon's partner to strike hard and possibly net a KO while Hydreigon protects itself from the attacks of the opposing Pokemon.

Set Details
========

Usage Tips
========
Hydreigon can be used early-game to KO a threat to your team with Draco Meteor, and later on it can be used to pick off opposing Pokemon with Dark Pulse and other coverage moves. If Draco Meteor deals more than 66% to the foe, use it again to net a KO rather than immediately switching out. Hydreigon performs well against bulky offense teams because of its decent bulk and high power. Common Pokemon on said teams, such as Heatran and Ferrothorn, struggle to deal any meaningful damage to Hydreigon, while Hydreigon can OHKO Heatran with Earth Power and deal heavy damage to Ferrothorn with Fire Blast. Hydreigon also has a good matchup against Trick Room teams because few setters like to take hits from it. Dark Pulse hits the majority of Trick Room setters, such as Cresselia, Slowbro, (AC) and Chandelure, (AC) for super effective damage, and those that aren't hit super effectively are usually 2HKOed by Earth Power. Despite Hydreigon's good defensive typing and bulk, try to only switch it in on weaker resisted hits such as Thunderbolt from Rotom-W or Thundurus.

Team Options
========
Aegislash is a great partner for Hydreigon due to their near-perfect offensive and defensive synergy. Aegislash can deal with with Mega Gardevoir, Sylveon, and Mega Diancie with Flash Cannon, use Wide Guard to stop common spread moves such as Rock Slide and Hyper Voice, and can easily switch into powerful Fighting- and Dragon-type moves such as Keldeo's Secret Sword and opposing Draco Meteor. Aegislash also beats Mega Metagross one-on-one, which is important because Hydreigon loses to Mega Metagross if it carries Hammer Arm. Offensive Steel-types such as Mega Metagross, Heatran, and the previously mentioned Aegislash are good partners because they can deal with pesky Fairies that would otherwise demolish Hydreigon, and Hydreigon can easily switch in on many of their weaknesses in return. Bulky Steel-types such as Ferrothorn can take many hits that Hydreigon would not want to take. Just watch out for Fighting-type moves, which hit both Hydreigon and bulky Steel-types for super effective damage. Mega Gardevoir and Sylveon can switch in on and demolish the Fighting-types that give Hydreigon trouble, and Hydreigon can weaken or KO most of their checks with Draco Meteor, Dark Pulse, and Earth Power in return. Mega Gardevoir can use Ally Switch as a form of redirection because it can eat up Draco Meteor and Close Combat, while Hydreigon can tank Shadow Ball and Steel-type moves for Mega Gardevoir with relative ease. Redirectors such as Jirachi, Togekiss, and Amoonguss help Hydreigon switch in for free so that it may use Draco Meteor. Landorus-T can beat Mega Diancie, can safely use Earthquake next to Hydreigon because of Hydreigon's Levitate, and has Intimidate to weaken the foes' Attack, augmenting Hydreigon's physical bulk. Fake Out support from Pokemon such as Mega Kangaskhan can help Hydreigon net KOs that it would narrowly miss out on under normal circumstances. Fake Out support can also help Hydreigon set up Tailwind if you opt to run it. With Thunder Wave and Icy Wind, Thundurus and Cresselia help out with Hydreigon's Speed. Cresselia is an especially good partner due to her good type synergy with Hydreigon and her ability to set up Trick Room for semi-Trick Room teams, which Hydreigon shines on.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)