Serious The Atheism/Agnosticism thread

I only brought up debunking supernatural claims to illustrate the broader point that the supernatural is little more than a placeholder explanation. This point is not separate from the scientific discussion, but rather, it is key to why I don't think any meaningful insight will be gained from the scientific inquiry. To most religious people, there is no disconnect between what their texts say and what the science reveals. They have simply molded their interpretations of the texts to fit with what they know from science. What many atheists who haven't had to deconvert don't seem to get is that this is not necessarily a bad thing from the religious person's view. For many people, it's not about a specific belief but about a belief in belief. The religious community member professes belief in the community's beliefs more or less, and since many of these beliefs are so vague scientifically (even claims about something that "literally happened"), it works out.

I know ~Eon~ won't be reading or responding to any of this and maybe it's pointless then to clarify my previous post. That said, I'm responding anyway because I believe that this thread can still be of use to people if they simply tried. I hate the hypocrisy of people in this thread treading the same ground over and over all while declaring the thread a circlejerk in a self-fulfilling prophecy. I get that many of the posters here are interested in the metaphysics, but a lot of the posts seem to me like their purpose is to verbally burn a Thunderf00t effigy instead of having a discussion with the people actually making their posts. A thread isn't a circlejerk just because people don't want to debate the semantics of metaphysics or because people post memes every once in a while.

gonna throw my 2 cents on this:

one of the main reasons I became an agnostic is the fact that in my country, the priests and our patriarch are telling sinners they'll go to hell while they are swimming in money, but also the religious textbooks (which are prodcued with the patriarchy's agreement) are the epitome of ridiculous. grade 2 and 3 children learn that two women give birth to a child each, and one of them dies. the mother of the dead child replaces him with the alive one. then samson (or whatever his name is) threatens to kill one of them with a sword, and the real mother starts crying... really? in grade 2?
or this: if you work on Sundays, YOU WILL BE HIT BY A CAR.

our church even decided to support our left-wing's party candidate for the presidency last year.

frankly, i think religion is nowadays used as a method to gain money. old people are ass-kissers when religion is brought up, and thus they give money to the priest at each service.

is the situation in america the same?

Last edited:
gonna throw my 2 cents on this:

one of the main reasons I became an agnostic is the fact that in my country, the priests and our patriarch are telling sinners they'll go to hell while they are swimming in money, but also the religious textbooks (which are prodcued with the patriarchy's agreement) are the epitome of ridiculous. grade 2 and 3 children learn that two women give birth to a child each, and one of them dies. the mother of the dead child replaces him with the alive one. then samson (or whatever his name is) threatens to kill one of them with a sword, and the real mother starts crying... really? in grade 2?
or this: if you work on Sundays, YOU WILL BE HIT BY A CAR.

our church even decided to support our left-wing's party candidate for the presidency last year.

frankly, i think religion is nowadays used as a method to gain money. old people are ass-kissers when religion is brought up, and thus they give money to the priest at each service.

is the situation in america the same?

The culture then was a lot different than it is now. Back then, deities were viewed as punitive, even in the Jewish faith. Religion and secularism are always going to be intertwined with each other and yield negative effects; that is a side effect of human nautre. Keep in mind that during those times, people were considered mature enough to be adults at a much younger age than we do now, because they lived shorter lives. Religion in general has its fair issues, but it is still trying to adapt to a 21th century atmosphere.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)