Doubles Teambuilding Competition - Week 69 - GAME OVER

Idyll

xD
is a Tutoris an official Team Rateris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
RBTT Champion
With a lead of 2 points, Arcticblast takes the week! He'll have his team on the first post.

There will be a slight change in the system: the votes of previous winners will count for only 1.5 now instead of 2. Counting their votes for 2 gave them just too much sway so we're gonna lessen that while at the same time still giving them the same old incentive.

New week, new mon to build around! This week we'll have: Breloom

With the banning of Skymin comes the rise of other Grass-types to fill the void it left. One of these Grasses is Breloom, an offensive mon that does well with the disappearance of one of its best checks and competitor for a teamslot. It has Spore and HECK YEAH SPORE LGI.

Deadline for building is Sunday Noon, GMT

This is the kind of team I've found myself building a lot of lately: a really standard looking team from preview, with a few non-standard sets that really make the team work on a level you just won't get if the whole squad is on the smogdex.

I started the team with the standard Kangaskhan/Breloom/Suicune/Landorus-T core that makes up a lot of ladder squads, but I swapped Suicune out for Icy Wind / Stone Edge Gyarados so that I could have a bulky water that wasn't just Sub bait for Kyurem-B. I added Aegislash after that for a solid Kangaskhan partner, a fairy resist, and a great Trick Room check. Talonflame came last for Tailwind, Tailwind really frees up the team to use sets like Protect Kangaskhan which sacrifices some speed for a bit of HP, Life Orb Landorus-T, and of course make Breloom a lot more threatening.

The Kangaskhan set outspeeds max speed Adamant Landorus-T and survives a Superpower from the same set. The loom set is standard: max speed, max attack, jolly nature. The Gyarados set outspeeds Landorus-T in Tailwind and 2HKOs Landorus-T at -1, the bulk investment is just the most efficient EV spread to maximize mixed bulk with what I had left, while taking Intimidate into account. Landorus-T is max attack, max speed, Jolly nature with Life Orb to OHKO Heatran through Shuca with a lot more freedom than a Choice Scarf set. Aegislash is Wide Guard & Substitute to protect my triple flying + 2 fire weaks and also wreck Trick Room teams. Talonflame is standard.

Kangaskhan-Mega @ Kangaskhanite
Ability: Inner Focus
EVs: 72 HP / 252 Atk / 184 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Protect
- Return
- Power-Up Punch
- Sucker Punch

Breloom @ Focus Sash
Ability: Technician
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Mach Punch
- Bullet Seed
- Spore
- Protect

Gyarados @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 92 Atk / 92 Def / 16 SpD / 56 Spe
Careful Nature
- Waterfall
- Icy Wind
- Stone Edge
- Protect

Landorus-Therian @ Life Orb
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Knock Off
- Protect

Aegislash @ Leftovers
Ability: Stance Change
EVs: 236 HP / 252 SpA / 20 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- King's Shield
- Wide Guard
- Substitute
- Shadow Ball

Talonflame @ Life Orb
Ability: Gale Wings
Adamant Nature
- Brave Bird
- Flare Blitz
- Tailwind
- Protect

Pastelle

we're all star stuff
heck yes I love Breloom and corney nickname themes so lets do this
MEDIEVAL TIMES
Jester (Breloom) (M) @ Focus Sash
Jolly Nature
- Bullet Seed
- Mach Punch
- Spore
- Protect

Royal Steed (Suicune) @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 12 Def / 188 SpA / 56 Spe
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Tailwind
- Protect

Baker (Rotom-Heat) @ Safety Goggles
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 156 Def / 24 SpA / 76 SpD
Calm Nature
- Overheat
- Thunderbolt
- Will-O-Wisp
- Protect

Queen (Diancie) @ Diancite
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 208 Atk / 48 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Diamond Storm
- Moonblast
- Earth Power
- Protect

Knight (Aegislash) (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Stance Change
EVs: 176 HP / 252 SpA / 80 Spe
Modest Nature
- Flash Cannon
- Shadow Ball
- Substitute
- King's Shield

Peasant (Togekiss) (F) @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 160 Def / 96 SpD
Bold Nature
- Follow Me
- Air Slash
- Tailwind
- Protect

TEAMBUILDING
Started with Breloom since it was the required mon. Now since Breloom's Speed is a little underwhelming, I thought Tailwind would be a perfect fit for him. Suicune has great synergy as it checks Fire- and Flying-types for Breloom, and of course has Tailwind. Next was a Fire-type since we all know Pastel loves those bulky FWG cores. I picked Rotom-H because it had great synergy with the other two but mainly because thebagman showed me this amazing Rotom-H spread that lives literally everything. That and it was a reliable answer to Amoonguss. I still didn't have a Mega at this point, so I decided to pick one before moving forward. In an earlier draft of this team it was Mega Metagross, but I changed it to Diancie cause my team was a little weak to sun and Dragons like Kyurem-B or Hydreigon. I decided that my next mon should be one that compliments Diancie well, and the mon I chose was Aegislash. It provides coverage for mons like Cresselia and Jirachi, as well as resists for Diancie and Breloom. Lastly, I realized that this team depended kind of heavily on Tailwind, so I decided to add another setter. The best setter for my team ended up being Togekiss, as it provided a Ground switch-in for Aegislash and Diancie, and general Follow Me support.

SET DETAILS
I'll only be explaining the non 252 sets, which is all of them except Breloom so here we go. This is Memoric's Suicune set. It lives a +2 Adamant Mega Kangaskhan Return, and outspeeds Deoxys-A in Tailwind. Rotom-H's spread was given to me by thebagman but originally made by someone else idk, but woo nelly it lives a lot of stuff. It lives an Adamant Mega Kangaskhan Double Edge, Mega Diancie's Diamond Storm, and makes Jolly Landorus-T's Rock Slide a guaranteed 3HKO. It also lives Rotom-W Hydro Pump and avoids a 2HKO from Aegislash's Shadow Ball. Yeah, I know, lord set. Even though Diancie's set isn't 252, its standard and in the SmogDex if you really wanna know what it lives. I'm not going to bother explaining it here. Next up is Aegislash, and I decide since I'm using a slightly more offensive team, I would try Substitute Aegi, since I almost always use Wide Guard. The Speed outspeeds Mega Diancie in Tailwind, ad that's all the EV's really do. Lastly, I'm using KyleCole's Tailwind Togekiss set. This bad boy survives Iron Head from Life Orb Bisharp and 252 Atk Mega Metagross 100% of the time, as well as Flash Cannon Modest Aegislash. Sitris Berry is for recovery, and since I already had Goggles on Rotom-H it seemed unnecessary.

moods

Banned deucer.

ok. my first mon was obv breloom. i wanted ho. went aero since it beats the most common loom checks beeing thund(ohkos)talon(ohkos)amoong(taunts) while benifits from loom beating rotom-w, lando-t or bisharp. core seemed really solid but had once shit match up. safety goggles aegi. so i had to choose a solid aegi check. went with volc since after qd it formes a deadly core with aero while having decent synergy with loom. then i wanted a lando-t swich in, stronger fighting atk (ohko kangas and stuff). i went with band since ill have tailwind + wanted sth that can switch into twave and ohko thundurus back. then wanted redirection + speedcontrol, another lando switch in, went with togekiss. at this point wanted 2nd aegi check, sth that outspeeds and kill lati and metagross without speedcontrol. i didnt like my match up vs scarf lando(cant ohko it) so went with lure scarf hp ice hydragon.
Breloom @ Focus Sash
Jolly Nature
- Spore
- Bullet Seed
- Mach Punch
- Protect

Aerodactyl-Mega @ Aerodactylite
Ability: Unnerve
Adamant Nature
- Taunt
- Stone Edge
- Aerial Ace
- Protect

Volcarona @ Lum Berry
Ability: Flame Body
EVs: 144 HP / 252 SpA / 112 Spe
Modest Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Fire Blast
- Giga Drain
- Protect

Hydreigon @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- U-turn
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Draco Meteor
- Dark Pulse

Togekiss @ Safety Goggles
EVs: 248 HP / 192 Def / 68 SpD
Calm Nature
- Follow Me
- Tailwind
- Roost
- Air Slash

Landorus-Therian @ Choice Band
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- U-turn
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Superpower

on set explenation taunt on aero if ypu amoong since you cant ohko with ace, also checks tr, volcarona outspeeds mega gengar at +1 (since you lure lando i can be slower). stone edge on mega aero is the only way to ohko thundurus. cb stone edge is the only way lando is killing bulky thund. lum berry on volc is for prankster twave, fire blast for strong single target to kill aegi. giga drain kills mega diancie that would trouble maero volc core.

sry for shitty sprites but i like them

Last edited:

Mizuhime

Did I mistake you for a sign from God?
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

Blake (Charizard) (F) @ Charizardite Y
Ability: Solar Power
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 8 HP / 252 SpA / 248 Spe
Modest Nature
- Heat Wave
- Hidden Power [Ground]
- Overheat
- Protect

Yang (Breloom) @ Focus Sash
Jolly Nature
- Spore
- Mach Punch
- Bullet Seed
- Protect

Ren (Venusaur) @ Wide Lens
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 180 HP / 252 SpA / 76 Spe
Modest Nature
- Sleep Powder
- Sludge Bomb
- Giga Drain
- Protect

Coco (Landorus-Therian) @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 44 HP / 252 Atk / 212 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- U-turn
- Superpower

Yatsuhashi (Terrakion) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Justified
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Rock Slide
- Quick Guard
- Protect

Ruby Rose (Victini) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Victory Star
EVs: 68 HP / 252 Atk / 188 Spe
Adamant Nature
- V-create
- U-turn
- Bolt Strike
- Final Gambit

the team is one that I used during SPL in a battle against Gavin, noticing a trend in his building I decided that I could capitalize on the fact that he's always used Amoonguss and Rotom-w, making his team extremely weak to Sleep, and Grass-types in general. The team also uses double scarfers with Landorus and Victini, Victini is a choice not often seen in the meta, but hits like a truck and outspeeds adamant lando that also has 44 hp like mine does. The spread could be altered accordingly now but that's up to the person using the team. Charziard has also been altered from the original, it was once a bulky spread but is now a faster spread with hidden power ground to help me deal with Heatran a little better than I was able to be before, loads of pressure was put on Terrakion and Landorus, neither of them are particularly fond of fighting a Heatran while sun is up.

moods

Banned deucer.

Blake (Charizard) (F) @ Charizardite Y
Ability: Solar Power
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 8 HP / 252 SpA / 248 Spe
Modest Nature
- Heat Wave
- Hidden Power [Ground]
- Overheat
- Protect

Yang (Breloom) @ Focus Sash
Jolly Nature
- Spore
- Mach Punch
- Bullet Seed
- Protect

Ren (Venusaur) @ Wide Lens
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 180 HP / 252 SpA / 76 Spe
Modest Nature
- Sleep Powder
- Sludge Bomb
- Giga Drain
- Protect

Coco (Landorus-Therian) @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 44 HP / 252 Atk / 212 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- U-turn
- Superpower

Yatsuhashi (Terrakion) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Justified
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Rock Slide
- Quick Guard
- Protect

Ruby Rose (Victini) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Victory Star
EVs: 68 HP / 252 Atk / 188 Spe
Adamant Nature
- V-create
- U-turn
- Bolt Strike
- Final Gambit

the team is one that I used during SPL in a battle against Gavin, noticing a trend in his building I decided that I could capitalize on the fact that he's always used Amoonguss and Rotom-w, making his team extremely weak to Sleep, and Grass-types in general. The team also uses double scarfers with Landorus and Victini, Victini is a choice not often seen in the meta, but hits like a truck and outspeeds adamant lando that also has 44 hp like mine does. The spread could be altered accordingly now but that's up to the person using the team. Charziard has also been altered from the original, it was once a bulky spread but is now a faster spread with hidden power ground to help me deal with Heatran a little better than I was able to be before, loads of pressure was put on Terrakion and Landorus, neither of them are particularly fond of fighting a Heatran while sun is up.
you may want to put taunt on terrak since you have no real tr checks

Mizuhime

Did I mistake you for a sign from God?
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
You're probably right in taunt would be more useful, I can expand further tomorrow on how I handle trick room though

Checkmater

It’s just us kittens left, and the rain is coming
is a Tiering Contributor

Breloom @ Life Orb
EVs: 232 HP / 252 Atk / 24 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Spore
- Mach Punch
- Bullet Seed
- Protect

Jirachi @ Safety Goggles
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Iron Head
- Follow Me
- Trick Room
- Protect

Chandelure @ Life Orb
Ability: Flame Body
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA
Modest Nature
IVs: 18 Spe
- Fire Blast
- Shadow Ball
- Trick Room
- Protect

Azoomarill (Azumarill) @ Life Orb
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Brave Nature
- Aqua Tail
- Aqua Jet
- Play Rough
- Protect

. (Scrafty) @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Brave Nature
- Fake Out
- High Jump Kick
- Knock Off
- Head Smash

- (Kangaskhan-Mega) @ Kangaskhanite
Ability: Inner Focus
EVs: 168 HP / 252 Atk / 88 Def
Brave Nature
- Fake Out
- Double-Edge
- Hammer Arm
- Sucker Punch

Jirachi Loom tr is a core I've wanted to try out for a while but never really got around to. It's kind of like togekiss/Loom in that you get the speed control and redirection support for breloom, but tr. Anyways, team is pretty self explanatory, so I'll just describe my thought process behind making the team.

Loom+Rachi was the starting point. I added Chandelure for a ghost setter, since our other setter is defensive, a offensive ghost setter made sense. Scrafty+Kang were both additions made to provide fake out support, as I couldn't run redirection support in the form of amoonguss and using jirachi as a redirector for chand wasn't appealing. Lastly, I added, at first clawitzer, then changed that to life orb azumarill as a trick room attacker.

LO Loom-damage, I want it, I'm getting it. Focus sash seems pretty ass in every matchup except for talonflame, and the extra damage lets you do massive damage with mach punch, which is really nice. Having offensive priority lets you set tr much easier. Also, I like switching in breloom on rockslides/water moves so yeah

Scrafty-I like the set

Azumarill-read prev post if you want an explanation :/

Chand - LO lets you ohko amoonguss which is a actually pretty annoying lead for scrafty chand but not vs this set. In general, life orb fire blast ohkos lots of things it hits neutrally. Flame body snipes scrappy kangs and lets you burn on the sucker (which you live-pre-recoil) among other physical contact moves such as waterfall/aquajet, and if you use it as a switchin on say, u-turn. Since Flash Fire and Infiltrator both didn't seem very useful, I opted for flame body chand.

"What are these speed evs?"
Creeping for mirror vs other tr / luring aegis

Idyll

xD
is a Tutoris an official Team Rateris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
RBTT Champion
BREELOM

The deadline has passed! It's time to vote for the team of the week! Pick your vote among the following; To vote, just post in name of the user who created the team you voted for.

KyleCole
pastelgameboy
moods
Mizuhime
checkmater75

Deadline is on TUESDAY, Noon GMT+1

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)