Ask simple questions here! [READ ORIGINAL POST before posting]

Why am I locked from talking in any chats?
I was able to talk in the Battle Dome chat last night but today I'm not able to talk in any chats at all, have I been banned for some reason?

Hello!
How I can make a welcome message appears upon entering my server?
This post was like two weeks ago, but if you haven't figured it out already then use the /roomintro command. You'll need to know minimal HTML.
How can I learn to use PS code?
PS is opensource, so its code is here on github. It mainly uses javascript.
Can someone look at my admin request please?
Be patient. There aren't that many admins but there are a lot of admin requests, I'd assume.
Is there a way to donate or something and get rid of the ads?
Not sure if I'm supposed to be suggesting this to users, but adblock does exist.
Why am I locked from talking in any chats?
I was able to talk in the Battle Dome chat last night but today I'm not able to talk in any chats at all, have I been banned for some reason?
You were locked under the name "OSAMAbinHUSSAIN" for being terrible to users in battles. Perhaps you were simply sharing a public IP or something but either way you'll have to wait a couple days until the server restarts for the lock to be lifted.
Is Mega Manectric's BW-style sprite missing or just broken? When I battled in the Pikachu Cup it would just be a still image, and when I looked on the dex the animated sprites weren't there...
Appears to be missing, at least from PS.

You were locked under the name "OSAMAbinHUSSAIN" for being terrible to users in battles. Perhaps you were simply sharing a public IP or something but either way you'll have to wait a couple days until the server restarts for the lock to be lifted.
My only screen name on Pokemon Showdown is Cammo353, could you also tell me who issued the lock?

I've done a bunch of Google searches and read through every single page of both this forum and the Competitive Discussions SQSA forum and I can't find the answer, so I'd appreciate some help with this issue...
Is Salamence immune to Psychic-type attacks?
I ask this here and not in Competitive Discussions because no matter what resource I look at, which abilities and movesets Salamence actually has, and even factoring in its Mega Evolution (which wasn't the problem here because it hadn't Mega Evolved), it wouldn't normally be immune to Psychic-type attacks, so I think it has something to do with the Showdown emulator itself. I think this Salamence was choiced, either Specs or Scarf, because it only ever used Dark Pulse the entire match.
Skip to turn 19 in the following replay to see exactly what happened:
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-263182332
I would appreciate maybe some clarification on this issue, like if there's some combo of abilities/held items or something else that I'm overlooking. Like maybe it was Zororark's Ability, but I've tried looking up Zororoark's ability and I kid you not, I can't understand how it would come into play here.

Last edited:
I've done a bunch of Google searches and read through every single page of both this forum and the Competitive Discussions SQSA forum and I can't find the answer, so I'd appreciate some help with this issue...
Is Salamence immune to Psychic-type attacks?
I ask this here and not in Competitive Discussions because no matter what resource I look at, which abilities and movesets Salamence actually has, and even factoring in its Mega Evolution (which wasn't the problem here because it hadn't Mega Evolved), it wouldn't normally be immune to Psychic-type attacks, so I think it has something to do with the Showdown emulator itself. I think this Salamence was choiced, either Specs or Scarf, because it only ever used Dark Pulse the entire match.
Skip to turn 19 in the following replay to see exactly what happened:
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-263182332
I would appreciate maybe some clarification on this issue, like if there's some combo of abilities/held items or something else that I'm overlooking. Like maybe it was Zororark's Ability, but I've tried looking up Zororoark's ability and I kid you not, I can't understand how it would come into play here.
Always assume it's Zoroark if a non-dark type is immune to psychic and uses moves that Pokemon can't learn.

Always assume it's Zoroark if a non-dark type is immune to psychic and uses moves that Pokemon can't learn.
Ah, I see. I've never used Zororark myself and this was the first time I'd fought one in battle, so I wasn't very familiar with its ability. (I'm actually a bit of a beginner in terms of competitive battling; I've only been part of the Wi-Fi battling community for about a month. Although my first Pokemon game was Yellow, ORAS was the first game in which I actually became interested in battling competitively.)
Not to mention that the description of Zororark's Ability on the Smogon Pokedex is actually kind of confusing, so I wasn't sure how it applied in this case. Guess it would have been better to just go for the Focus Blast to begin with.

Ah, I see. I've never used Zororark myself and this was the first time I'd fought one in battle, so I wasn't very familiar with its ability. (I'm actually a bit of a beginner in terms of competitive battling; I've only been part of the Wi-Fi battling community for about a month. Although my first Pokemon game was Yellow, ORAS was the first game in which I actually became interested in battling competitively.)
Not to mention that the description of Zororark's Ability on the Smogon Pokedex is actually kind of confusing, so I wasn't sure how it applied in this case. Guess it would have been better to just go for the Focus Blast to begin with.
Okay, I'll explain its ability then: Zoroark shows up as whatever the last Pokemon in your party is when sent out. It remains looking like this until it's hit with a move. If you switch it out and switch it back in later on but the last Pokemon in the party has changed, the one it's disguised as will be changed as well, but if it's the last Pokemon in the party it will not be disguised. These illusions are purely to trick your opponent though, since Zoroark's typing, movepool, status conditions, remaining HP, item, etc remain exactly the same; just the appearance and name will be disguised.

Somebody could add it for everyone though right? Or at least a Team Magma avatar?
Theoretically speaking an admin can add a custom avatar to any user, but they don't give it out to random people. You can only use the avatars available to everyone unless you are global driver or higher rank, so just let it be. Please.

Disaster Area

formerly Piexplode
What is the annual amoutn of separate users? Need to know by the end of today but will be trying to get answers through Help/Dev rooms on PS main too.

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
As far as I'm aware there's no way to track the number of unique users, given that many users connect from school and other places (thus sharing an IP and being treated as alts), and some users will connect to different IPs with different names despite being the same person. You're better off with average number of users online at any given moment or total battles over one year.

Hello,

I tried to build a STABmons team with a Shift Gear Scizor, but he kept refusing launching a game saying Scizor cant learn it while it should be able to learn Shift Gear, because the other moves like Gear Grind did work. (Both are Steel type, in STABmons they should work)

Shift Gear did work on Heatran though, so that's kinda wierd. Also, strangely, when the error message poped up, it said that Scizor couldnt learn them too while it should be able in STABmons. Even wierder, if I remove Shift Gear, the moves that were refused are then accepted by PS, just the fact it has Shift Gear seems to break the teambuilder and make that message pop up.

So, am I maybe missing some Shift Gear/Scizor rule, some STABmons rule or is it a bug ?

Hello,

I tried to build a STABmons team with a Shift Gear Scizor, but he kept refusing launching a game saying Scizor cant learn it while it should be able to learn Shift Gear, because the other moves like Gear Grind did work. (Both are Steel type, in STABmons they should work)

Shift Gear did work on Heatran though, so that's kinda wierd. Also, strangely, when the error message poped up, it said that Scizor couldnt learn them too while it should be able in STABmons. Even wierder, if I remove Shift Gear, the moves that were refused are then accepted by PS, just the fact it has Shift Gear seems to break the teambuilder and make that message pop up.

So, am I maybe missing some Shift Gear/Scizor rule, some STABmons rule or is it a bug ?
http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/stabmons-the-new-one.3547279/

In STABmons, you can't inherit attacking and status moves now.

After PS! main came back I went onto the teambuilder to find that all of my teams have been deleted. I know for sure I didn't do anything to my cookies and so I went and looked at my cookies in my Chrome browser and this is what I found:
upload_2015-9-5_16-1-39.png

As you can see there is a cookie named "local storage" that was last edited at 12:05:42, which was approximately when PS! main went down for me.
The other local storage cookie was made 2 hours later, when I imported a team. PS! teambuilder also says: "Clearing your cookies (specifically, localStorage) will delete your teams.". Because of this I think that the old local storage cookie still in my browser contains all of my teams that have disappeared.

My question is if there is a way to either:
1) Extract my teams from that cookie, and be left with a text file or something that contains either data that can be understood and turned into my teams or the actual teams themselves.
or
2) Make PS! actually use this cookie instead of creating a new cookie for my teams.

Also if this should be in it's own thread then let me know I just felt like it fit here better.

EDIT: I found my own teams! Huzzah!

Posting how I found them here in case other people have the problem.
This is for Windows 7 w/ a Google Chrome browser, but this might apply to other versions of Windows and maybe other browsers.

0.1) Go to chrome://settings, scroll down and click advanced settings and click Content Settings that's under the section "Privacy".
0.2) Click all cookies and site data and then click the box labeled search cookies, and type in pokemon.
0.3) Go to play.pokemonshowdown.com on the list and click it (Don't click the x, just click the text).
0.4) Find your missing teams, it will be a cookie labeled "local storage", and most likely the oldest one (if you have two), if you have more than one cookie labeled "local storage" then try and find the one with the closest time to when your teams disappeared.
1) Press the windows button + r, this should bring up a little panel labeled with "run"
2) Type %appdata% and press enter
3) Find the appdata folder, for some reason my pc goes to the roaming folder and I have to go back one to the appdata folder
4) Go through Local > Google > Chrome > User Data
5) Now here is the tricky part, your teams will probably be in a folder names "Profile", however there might be more than one. Just click one and follow through.
6) Once you have chosen a Profile folder, click Local Storage > and find a file named http_play.pokemonshowdown.com_0.localstorage or something like that.
7) Make sure the file you found has the exact data space as the one you saw in your settings. For example in my settings it displayed as "38.0 kb" and the file I found that contained my teams had the exact same size.
8) Make an extra copy of it somewhere else, the copy you make is the one you play with, not the one in the Local Storage folder, that way if you mess something up it won't affect your browser.
9) Open it with Microsoft Word and you should be able to view your teams. If not try again with a different encoding. (The one that worked for me was the second bubble, I already forgot what it was, but I think it was called M-DOS or something).

You should be able to see your teams now. This is what worked for me and hopefully it will work for other people who have the same problem. For example this is what my first team looked like:

monotype]Menacing Steel|Magnemite||berryjuice|1|explosion,explosion,explosion,explosion|Serious|||0,0,0,0,0,0||1|0

I don't think that can go directly into the PS! teambuilder, but it does show that I had a
=== [Monotype] Menacing Steel ===
Magnemite @ berryjuice
Level: 1
Nature: Serious
IVs: 0 Everything
- Explosion
- Explosion
- Explosion
- Explosion

Last edited:
I'm trying to import a team to showdown's calc to make calcing easier. I click import on the team builder, copy the team, paste it onto the calc, click import, but all it shows is the team info as if I were on the notepad. I can't select any of the mons to run calcs with them. Am I doing something wrong? :/

BP

Beers and Steers
is a Contributor to Smogon
How do users get custom avatars on Main? I know on other servers you can buy them with the server currency, but here, I still see some users with them and I don't have a clue how I can possibly get one. :(
I believe you have to be a moderator or above to obtain a Custom avatar.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)