ORAS OU Mega Gallade RMT

Hi everyone, I'm writing this post so you can help me to improve a team I created a while ago around Mega Gallade which is doing pretty well in showdown lately.

Gallade Galladite | Steadfast
Jolly | 252 Atk/ 252 Spe/ 4 HP
-Swords Dance
-Drain Punch
-Zen Headbutt
-Shadow Sneak

Well, here it is the poke that my team is based around. I've chosen this mega because is the one I like the most. The ability is Steadfast just in case I get hit by a dark type attack before megaevolving. The evs are self explanatory and the nature is just to outspeed more pokemons. Swords dance when predicting a switch, drain punch to have more longevity and also to be able to sweep more with a SD, Zen Headbutt for Stab and Shadow Sneak for priority and for being able to kill Bisharp when I am boosted (In case he is spamming Sucker Punch). I try to use this pokemon as a sweeper/wallbreaker. I take him out against pokes I should be able to beat without problems, I SD in their face predicting a switch or taking a hit and then in the next turn I will Drain Punch or Zen Headbutt depending on the threat. As you can see I have not put him Knock Off. The explanaiton is that as you will see I have Knock off in other pokes in my team and also Shadow Sneak with SD does an incredibely amount of dmg to pokes like latios/latias which threaten my Gallade.

Bisharp dark Glasses | Defiant
Adamant | 252 Atk/ 205 Spe / 52 Spd
-Sucker Punch
-Knock Off
-Pursuit
-Iron Head

The second pokemon on my team is Bisharp. As you most will now Gallade and Bisharp have amazing synergy: they are able to kill each other checks and counters while also being able to take hits aimed to the other one (Bisharp is immune to Psychic which threatens Gallade, Gallade is able to handle Fight which destroys Bisharp and also Bisharp can resist Ghost type moves which Gallade struggles against).
Dark Glasses are just to increase the three dark type attacks in my moveset without loosing HP every turn. Defiant just for obvious reasons. Adamant for power and the Evs spread to survive a Life Orb Latios Hidden Power Fire after Stealth Rock Dmg when Full health so I can use Sucker punch or trap it with pursuit.
252 SpA Life Orb Latios Hidden Power Fire vs. 0 HP / 52 SpD Bisharp: 213-252 (78.5 - 92.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
The moves are pretty straight forward, Sucker Punch and Knock Off for absurd amount of dmg, priority and utility, Pursuit to trap and Iron Head for Fairys.
I use this guy against defoggers (if they defog I get my attack 2x), to trap latios and latias and other ghost psychic pokes and stuff like that.

Garchomp Rocky Helmet | Rough Skin
Impish | 252 HP/ 240 Def/ 16 Spe
-Stealth Rocks
-Earthquake
-Dragon Tail
-Toxic/Fire Blast

This pokemon is just amazing. I needed a rock setter in my team in order to make more 0KO's and take some physical hiys and this poke just fits the roll perfectly. The ability to punish physical pokemons with 29% HP every tyme I get hit is just nice. I have also chosen it because I needed an electryc immunity and a check to birdspam. Rocky Helmet to punish physical attackers for 29% HP with also Rough Skin. Impish nature to get my Def raised. The Evs spread is chosen to handle most psysical atacks and the 16 Evs in speed to outspeed neutral-natured base 70 Speed Pokemons such as Breelom or Bisharp as well as Jolly Tyranitar. Stealth Rocks for obvious reasons, Earthquake for powerful stab, Dragon tail to phase enemy pokemons and to rack up stealth rocks damage. In the last slot I am currently using Toxic to cripple enemy pokemons and to be able to win against enemy leads (specially other Garchomps).
I use Garchomp to set rocks and to handle physical attackers in which case I will deal a ton of reckoil damage apart from my attacks.

Clefable Leftovers | Unaware
Bold | 248 HP/ 252 Def/ 8 Sp. Def
-Wish
-Protect
-Moonblast
-Heal Bell

I needed a cleric support to heal my teammates and also to cure status (which gallade and Bisharp are super weak to), and I have chosen Clefable among other pokemons because of its typing and ability. Clefable completes the dragon-fairy-steel core which gives a ton of resistances to my team: protects Garchomp with a dragon immunity, Resists Fighting for Bisharp... And his amazing ability makes Clefable able to check boosted enemy sweepers such as Mega Gyarados which destroys my team after a DD. Leftovers for passive recovery, Unaware for the reasons I have explained before, Nature and Evs spread to being able to check most psysical attackers. The moves are pretty straight forward too: Wish to heal himself with protect or to pass healing to other teammates, Moonblast for stab and Heal Bell to cure status.
I take him out against psysical attackers I can check and pokemons that I theaten with Moonblast. Then I may cure status or use wish to pass it to other teammates. A usual situation I have faced a lot of times is the following one: I take out Clefable against someone I can check, I then use Wish predicting a switch, the other trainer takes out Heatran who beats my clefable and then I switch Clefable for Gallade so I can heal him and use a free SD in Heatran's face and then Spam Drain Punch and Zen Headbutt for ages.

Thundurus Life Orb | Prankster
Timid | 252 Sp. Atk/ 252 Spe / 4 Def
-Thunderbolt
-Thunder Wave
-Focus Blast
-Hidden Power Ice

Looking at my team I knew I needed a special sweeper with also som utility to help Mega Gallade and Bisharp to sweep and also a Ground heavy resistance or immunity. That is why I chosen Thundurus to fit this role and he has been doing great since then.
Life orb to increase the damage, Prankster ability to use Thunder wave with priority, and the nature and Evs spread to hit as hard and fast as possible.
Thunder Wave to make Gallade and Bisharp sweep and set up easier, Thunderbolt for powerful Stab move, Focus Blast for Steal Types (which helps me a lot as I am not currently running Fire Blast on Garchomp), and Hidden Power Ice for Dragon type pokemons and Landorus-t (which I outspeed in case he is not scarfed and I 0KO him then).
I take him out predicting a Ground type move or just when I get a free switch. I will then try to destroy enemy team pokemons with my amazing Special attack and Life Orb Boost. When I am about to die or I am facing a big threat to the rest of my team I will just use Thunder Wave and let the rest of the team do their job.

Tentacruel Black Sludge | Liquid Ooze
Calm | 252 HP/ 252 Sp. Def/ 4 Def
-Rapid Spin
-Scald
-Knock Off
-Sludge Bomb

It was necessary for my team to have a special wall and also a rapid spinner/defogger. That is why I chosen Tentacruel for this role. It has nice synergy with the rest of the team garanting a lot of resistances and also checking fairy types (which Bisharp can not despite beating them with Iron Head). It's weaknesses are also well covered with my team Immunities.
Black Sludge for passive recovery, Liquid Ooze just in case someone Drain Punch, Giga drains or Leech seed me. The nature and Evs Spread is just to being able to check and handle most special attacks even the ones super effective to me.
Rapid Spin to get rid of enemy hazards, Scald for stab and burn chance, Knock off to get rid of enemy items, and Sludge Bomb against fairys.
I use tentacruel to check fairy pokemons and powerful special attacks, hazard removal and utility. Just a great Pokemon that makes my team more solid.

I hope you enjoy my team and you are able to think about any improvement. If so I would really apreciate that you comment down below. Thank you a lot for your time.

Hi there nice team, i really like gallade and you can think to run Close Combat > Drain Punch, even though having a sort of recovery is useful the difference of power is really huge.
252 Atk Mega Gallade Close Combat vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Raikou: 297-351 (92.5 - 109.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
252 Atk Mega Gallade Drain Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Raikou: 186-220 (57.9 - 68.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

+2 252 Atk Mega Gallade Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 144+ Def Hippowdon: 327-385 (77.8 - 91.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
+2 252 Atk Mega Gallade Drain Punch vs. 252 HP / 144+ Def Hippowdon: 204-241 (48.5 - 57.3%) -- 46.9% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

+2 252 Atk Mega Gallade Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Skarmory: 265-313 (79.3 - 93.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
+2 252 Atk Mega Gallade Drain Punch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Skarmory: 166-196 (49.7 - 58.6%) -- 71.1% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

As you can see from calcs with close combat you only need a little prior damage in order to pass physical walls making gallade a fantastic wallbreaker. Also because Tank Garchomp is really high in usage you should run Ice Punch > Shadow Sneak, which also gives you a way to beat spdef gliscor, a big threat once Thundurus is gone. Then as you already said bisharp can be a huge problem so change the spread of your garchomp in EVs: 248 HP / 156 Def / 104 Spe, this allows you to outspeed 71+ base speed. Fire Blast is mandatory because garchomp is your only Mega Scizor check. Now if gallade cant find a way to set up, your team really struggles against hippowdon as it walls most of your team and tentacruel cant switch on earthquake, so you need a lure to beat it which is Grass Knot on Thundurus instead of Focus blast, your team already handles ferrothorn and heatran very well so you dont really need it. Lastly try Acid Spry > Sludge bomb, so you cant lose the 1vs1 against calm mind clefable.

Last edited:
I will put Fire Blast to Garchomp and I do think that grass knot will be very good to Thundurus. I will also test acid spry on tentacruel but I don't feel like putting more speed ev on garchomp cause I would loose bulkiness.
Thank you a lot for the improvements you have posted

Clone

Free Gliscor
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Keldeo is a massive threat to your team as of now. Your only hopes of dealing with it are either revenge killing it or hoping that its a LO variant and hope that it can kill itself through recoil. Tentacruel is a pretty shitty answer to it since SubCM can beat it and Tenta can't really do anything back. Because of this, I recommend you use Recover Latios > Tentacruel. This gives you a solid answer to Keldeo, and with Recover, it can last throughout the match. Latios is pretty Pursuit weak, though, so that can be an issue. A great way to remedy this is to use Belly Drum Azumarill over Clefable. Clefable is pretty useless on this team due to its offensive nature, and all it does is sap momentum from your team. Azumarill gives you the ever important Dragon immunity, while it also acts as a soft check to Keldeo as well. It has great synergy with Latios because it sets up on Pursuit-locked TTars and Latios can handle Mega Venusaur.

Other than that, I don't have much to add other than use CC > Drain Punch on Gallade and replace Shadow Sneak with Knock Off. Cool team.

sets:
Azumarill @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 92 HP / 252 Atk / 164 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Belly Drum
- Aqua Jet
- Play Rough
- Knock Off

Latios @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 29 HP
- Draco Meteor
- Defog
- Psyshock
- Recover

I like this idea but the think is that i don't like to use defog latios/latias because i can't use them in competitive 3ds tournaments because they are illegal without pentagon so...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)