PU Sets Viability Ranking Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Akir

A true villain!
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Community Leader Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
I would like to make the case that Custap Lead Golem should be lowered to B+ or even B. It is still very good, but the lead metagame is catching on to the shenanigans. The set flounders against a lot of common leads like Piloswine and Aurorus and even Rampardos. Even then, using a move to break Sturdy to ohko next turn is common...which is easy considering that the tier is very Grass-and-Water-centric atm. In the end, most players can rather easily play around Custap nowadays. It's still good, especially on hazard stack, but the meta is evolving in ways that doesn't make the set quite as good as the Offensive SR set.

TONE

I don't have to take this. I'm going for a walk.
is a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
A mention of offensive Monferno can be added here as well. I think C+ is good enough.

MZ

And now for something completely different
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Also change floatzel's choice specs set to specially offensive or something because mystic water and taunt or something are good. Add pidgeot. Drop sun sweeper Sawsbuck with the nerf and mention it one rank lower on Leafeon. Mention offensive Stunfisk somewhere. I don't know what the difference is between offensive rocks and Custap on golem, shouldn't that just be offensive rocks which encompasses Custap and WP? Agilicuno is b+ imo, just as good as subroost. Drop CB aurorus to like c+/c it's absolute garbage, and I could see RP going down to b- tbh. Mention offensive for both Gourgeist formes, maybe c+/b- for both but I don't have enough non-webs experience with them. Mention taunt toxic vigoroth at b or b-. Bump scarf chatot to b as it's better than specs imo but at least b- if nobody agrees. Mention CB Klang in c+. Offensive utility monferno like tone said. CM Murkrow is more a c/c- set, it's garbage outside of fu. Mention speed pass ninjask in c+/c. Offensive spikes sounds weird on quilladin, you mean suicide lead? Also mention Spdef vullaby in the same rank/one lower than def. I don't know that wall is a good description of regigigas, more like bulky attacker or paralysis spreader or something. Sun support Carbink is more like c-/d with Vic ban. Mention TRC's modest scarf Frogadier thingy. The main Lapras set is offensive with lefties/icicle plate so replace specs with that/add it to the same rank and drop specs one. Mention all out attacker Vanilluxe in c-. Mention flame charge flareon in c-/d. Mention offensive DD dragonair also in d. Offensive noctowl in same rank or E if you hate it enough. What's the real difference between specs and tr sweeper octillery, just merge to like all out attacker or just specs imo. Cro sliggoo in E. Mention LO encore slaking with/over choice band?

Raiza

is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Championis a Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
World Defender
update:
merged custap and offensive golem
added tank golem to b-a
changed name from specs floatzel to specially offensive
lowered sun sweeper set by two ranks
added to both gourgeists offensive sets(c rank)
added to stunfisk an offensive set(c+ rank)
lowered the rank of rock polish and cb to b- rank
bumped choice scarf chatot by one rank
added cb klang to c+
added all out attacker monferno to b-
lowered cm murkrow to c-
renamed baton pass into Speed Baton Pass Ninjask
renamed offensive spikes into suicide lead quilladin
added spdef defog vullaby to c+
renamed wall into tank Regigigas
lowered sun support carbink to D
added scarf frogadier to c
made all out attacker lapras first set at c
added all out attacker vanilluxe to c-
mentioned dd dragonair at d- and also mixed wallbreaker at d
renamed tr sweeper octillery into life orb
added crosliggoo to e
added Pidgeot to d
added lo encore slaking to e
renamed wall into ph def wall carracosta
added physical attacker raichu to b-
renamed special attacker raichu into life orb special attacker
bumped cm pig to b+
lowered stalltales to c+
added scarf arbok to c+
renamed life orb into life orb utility mr. mime

also editing regarding normal vr rank changes

Last edited:

Raiza

is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Championis a Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
World Defender
updated once again
Removed everything that rose, rip
Gogoat from C+ to B
Linoone from B- to B
Seviper from D to C
Rotom-F from A- to B+
Hypno from B- to C+
Golem from A- to B+
Swanna from B to B+
Gourgeist-XL from A- to B+
Gourgeist-S from B+ to B
Mightyena from A- to B+
Rapidash from A+ to A
Persian from B- to C+
Gastly from D to unlisted
Lairon from D to unlisted
Lampent from D to unlisted
Sliggoo from D to unlisted

Grim

The Ghost
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
CB Floatzel is better than C+, like B+ is probably fine.
You could list 3 attacks + Roost / Taunt Dodrio.
I think Nasty Plot Raichu is as good as if not better than allout attacker Raichu now so imo rank Nasty Plot A too.
Defensive Coil Arbok isn't that terrible, it reliably counters some very hard to beat wallbreakers in Machoke, Simisage, and all variants of Roselia, and is a decent wincondition for balance. Rank B or B+ imo.
Rank offensive Shift Gear Klang, C+ or B- because its coverage is shit and it's pretty weak too.
Offensive Lickicky is a little better than C.
Rank offensive Politoed.
Rank Rock Polish Relicanth.
Rank generally defensive Will-O-Wisp, Night Shade, etc bullshit Dusclops, also C- imo.

Last edited:
Reactions: trc

Raiza

World Defender
this thread is clearly outdated lol i have to update it i'll post when done
tomorrow

MZ

And now for something completely different
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Scarfchu can drop to like B or B-, it's not awful but without barb it's not an a- set since it lost its main niche

cryalot

senza telescopi
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
I think we can add a mention of CB Dodrio.
Even though it as not the possibility to change moves on the field, it has a decent speed and hits like a train once it is inside. Unfortunately it is weak to rock and needs rapid spin or defog support.
I would suggest A-

Offensive Stunfisk could honestly move up to like B-/B, a lack of Volt Switch sucks, but Stunfisk still has a cool STAB combo coming off of a decent 81 SpA, plus you are still like the best switch in vs. Electric types.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)