Underused Pokemon Matchmaking Phase 2 [Week 29 - Nasty Plot Infernape]

nv

The Lost Age
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
With 7 votes, YABO is the winner this week! Congratulations!

This week, I have had some major fun with the flying spaghetti monster. I am talking about...

This guy is really good right now as it checks a major threat in Feraligatr and can even go offensive with Life Orb and nuke most of the bulky Water types in UU. Have fun picking this guy's matches and see you guys Friday! :)

Dr Ciel

Banned deucer.
Spaghetti is so boss. Reserving Mega Aerodactyl, please and thank you.

Tangrowth @ Leftovers
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Sleep Powder
- Leech Seed / Synthesis
- Giga Drain / Leaf Storm
- Knock Off

Aerodactyl @ Aerodactylite
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Hone Claws / Roost
- Stone Edge
- Aqua Tail
- Wing Attack

Tangrowth an Mega Aero actually make a pretty decent combo for balanced teams in UU. Tangrowth is able to wall and eliminate the bulky Water and Ground type Pokemon that Mega Aero hates, including the likes of Swampert, Alomomola, and Suicune. In return, Mega Aero has no problems defeating Fire, Flying, Grass, and Bug types with its powerful STAB moves. Mega Aero can also eliminate and possibly set up on the physical walls that Tangrowth hates, including Snorlax and Blissey.

Last edited:
Reactions: nv

Pak

vortex
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SCL Champion
Reserving snorlax

Tangrowth @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpA
Relaxed Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Knock Off
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Sleep Powder

Snorlax @ Leftovers
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 144 HP / 188 Def / 168 SpD / 8 Spe
Careful Nature
- Body Slam
- Curse
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Defensive Tangrowth and curselax form a nice defensive core that take on a numerous amounts of threats as well as providing a nice wincon. Tangrowth can take on most physical attackers including the fighting types that threaten a Snorlax sweep such as Lucario, Meinshao, Machamp, and Cobalion. Despite its great physical defense stat, tang struggles with the special attackers of the tier that snorlax can take on for the most part. Also because of thick fat, it can switch in to physical fire type moves from Entei and Darmanitan that Tangrowth struggles with. This core partnered with mons that can take on Infernape, Heracross, and Toxicroak make for a team with great defensive synergy.

Last edited:
Regenerator Cores, simple, effective, and annoying.
Want to add some bulk to your pivots for Free? Easy with Regenerator

Tangrowth @ Assault Vest
EVs: 252 HP / 24 Atk / 232 SpD
Brave Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Knock Off
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide / Hidden Power [Ice]

Say Hello to AV Tangrowth. A strange mon, that hasn't really been optimized, but still acts fairly well in the tier. I'm usually not much of an Assault Vest person, and it seems pretty counterproductive on a pokemon whose biggest assets are Leech Seed and Sleep Powder, but bear with me, Tangrowth is an interesting support option, and can really surprise those who aren't prepared for it.
I have 232 SpD neutral as the bare minimum to survive
Mega Houndoom's Modest Fire Blast, with Full HP (See Calcs) the rest is dumped into Attack so that 3/4 of your moves can hit as hard as possible. Tangrowth's natural defense means it can take
Gatr's Ice punch at +1, and still OHKO with Leaf Storm.
The Playstyle really is similar to MixMence, come in, Nuke Something, still be able to give a utility hit of EQ or Knock Off, and then switch out, negating SpA drop and healing at the same time. In a team with a couple bulky mons, or decent defensive pivots, it can get really annoying to break holes in the team.

Defensive
252+ SpA
Mega Houndoom Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 232 SpD Assault Vest Tangrowth: 338-402 (83.6 - 99.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

0 Atk
Crobat Brave Bird vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Tangrowth: 198-234 (49 - 57.9%) -- 95.7% chance to 2HKO

+1 220+ Atk Life Orb Sheer Force
Feraligatr Ice Punch vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Tangrowth: 317-374 (78.4 - 92.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Offensive
0 SpA Tangrowth Leaf Storm vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD
Krookodile: 408-480 (123.2 - 145%) -- guaranteed OHKO

I have 2
Slowkings here, Standard and Trick Room, let me know which you prefer.

Slowking @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Slack Off
- Thunder Wave
- Psyshock / Dragon Tail

Defensive Slowking pairs nearly perfectly with Tangrowth, sponging
Darmanitan's Flare Blitz, and barely surviving
Mega Beedrill's U-turn. Thunder Wave cripples teams relying on speed, while Scald's burn chance can take down those who don't need to be paralyzed with burns. Slack off allows for reliable recovery, and Psyshock or Dragon Tail can be added as your team needs, as either phazing against set-up/into hazards, or secondary STAB to deal with
Crobat, or Toxicroak.

OR

Slowking @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD
Quiet Nature
- Trick Room
- Scald
- Psyshock
- Fire Blast

TR Slowking means that the pitiful speed stats of both of your mons become an asset. Tangrowth gets to Nuke first, and Slowking's amazing STAB moves come out just as fast.
Mega Aerodactyl becomes much easier to handle, as does
Mega Sceptile,
Mega Shark, and
Mega Bee, but the strategy then relies on 4 turns, and TR is pretty easy to handle unless you're really solid with your team.

Slowking and Tangrowth already make up 2 parts of a really solid F/W/G core. Both have really solid defenses, and what one cannot handle, the other can. Their STAB moves compliment each other pretty well, and can cover a good majority of the tier. Beware of
Mega Bee,
Mega Shark,
Mega Houndoom, and hazards, as this core can get worn down easily.

Just adding
Darmanitan means you have your third member, and you can add speed to your duo, or if you want to go for the Trick Room set, add Chandelure for some serious firepower without needing the speed.

Last edited:
Hi, this is the first time I post on Smogon forums. English is not my native language, so "sory for my bed england" already.

Tangrowth @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Giga Drain
- Knock Off
- Leech Seed
- Sleep Powder

Empoleon @ Leftovers
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Stealth Rock
- Defog / Toxic
- Roar

A very classic defensive core, I admit, but that has proven to be extremely efficient.
These two guys pack incredible utility and can work on stall teams, balanced teams or offensive teams that need minimum number of defensive 'mons with maximum utility.
Empoleon and Tangrowth cover each others weaknesses fairly well, with Tang laughing at physical attacks and Empoleon being able to take powerful special attacks. This core, aside from being able to support teams very well with status, hazard control, phazing and knock off, can also check many key threats in the UU tier, such as Feraligatr, Mienshao, Hydreigon, physical Salamence, Doublade, Cobalion, and Krookodile.
Everything isn't perfect tho, and this core has a few flaws. First of all, it cannot take on powerful fire-type attacks from Entei (and Infernape). Mamoswine is a huge threat as well. To cover these weaknesses, Rotom-H is an excellent partner, being able to take these hits, spread burn and pivot easily. It also forms a nice FGW core.
Another problem is the lack of recovery and the weakness to status, which can be problematic sometimes. A cleric is needed, and Florges fulfills this role perfectly.
All in all, although this core has its weaknesses, it is still very strong and should always be considered for its effectiveness.

rs

STANDING ON BUSINESS
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis a Former Smogon Metagame Tournament Circuit Champion
fat cores

Tangrowth and Alomomola

Tangrowth @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Relaxed Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Knock Off
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Sleep Powder

Alomomola @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 44 Def / 212 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Wish
- Protect
- Scald
- Mirror Coat
So pretty much this is just a cool little fat core I got here. The Tangrowth set is pretty standard, just mixed Physically Defensive Sleep Powder. But really the cool part about this match is the Specially Defensive Alomomola. Honestly in UU open, I got donked by this thing game 1 vs Cased, it can eat up a specs Rotom-C Volt Switch then get a free kill after. It's honestly insane how much work these 2 can put in together. Below are the calcs for SpDef Alomo.

252 SpA Choice Specs Rotom-C Volt Switch vs. 252 HP / 212 SpD Alomomola: 390-462 (73 - 86.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ SpA Life Orb Hydreigon Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 212 SpD Alomomola: 387-458 (72.4 - 85.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery (cant hit it with Mirror Coat though :/)
252+ SpA Mega Launcher Mega Blastoise Dark Pulse vs. 252 HP / 212 SpD Alomomola: 195-230 (36.5 - 43%) -- 98% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Mega Abomasnow Giga Drain vs. 252 HP / 212 SpD Alomomola: 326-386 (61 - 72.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after hail damage and Leftovers recovery

All in all, this core can be extremely annoying to face, especially with their nice defensive synergy and their annoying abilities in Regenerator, but it is definitely effective and should be looked into if you're looking for a nice defensive core to build around. Of course it needs teammates to take on the likes of mixed Ape or something along the lines of that, but it's still great!

Last edited:

DKFirelord

Back this time I swear!
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Never Forget
+

I didn't forget !! Ok this is a pretty cool defensive core I say on the UU cores Tang can take ground electric and can take on Water types for Qwil. Qwil can lay up hazards and wall the likes on Mega Bee that can get a free u turn on Tang. HP ice is for mencw and hit other Grass types Knock can hit Doulblabe and get rid of evolites on mons like Gligar or porygon Sleep Powder to say a good night night to any of the oppents mons the SpDef evs allows tang to survive Mega Blastoise Ice beam and gigs drain off the damage. You can replace Giga with Power Whip to have a easier time with CM Slowkind or hit SpDef walls harder. Qwil outspeeds 84 Speed Cress and dumped the rest in hp and def. Waterfall so it's not taunt bait Twave is a god move to slow down the opposing team taunt to stop SR or Spikes for beating set up and Spikes just for constant damage on the oppent team. You can make Tang a more Offensive spread still works along with this core. thanks for reading
Qwilfish @ Black Sludge
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 248 HP / 172 Def / 88 Spe
Impish Nature
- Taunt
- Thunder Wave
- Waterfall
- Spikes

Tangrowth @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 168 Def / 92 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Giga Drain / Power Whip
- Sleep Powder
- Knock Off
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Last edited:

Entei @ Assault Vest
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Sacred Fire
- Extreme Speed
- Bulldoze
- Stone Edge

Tangrowth @ Life Orb
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 SpA
Rash Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Earthquake
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Focus Blast

I choose this core, because i see some defensive core, but no one post an offensive core, so for change, i post that.
This two man cover as well her weakness, it's a classic f/g, but. With Tangrowth Life Orb, we can remove a lot of checks and counter to do some damages with Entei. And as the same idea, Entei can remove some check and counter of Tangrowth. even without EVs in defspé or in def, Tangrowth is really bulky, and with the ability to burn with Sacred Fire, Entei is a pretty good partner. We can see Bulldoze+Earthquake, it's because this core is really weak to Dragalge. With HP Ice, Tangrowth can remove pokemons like Salamence who just defeat Entei even if we have Stone Edge, he can just roost if it's an intimidate Salamence. With Stone Edge or Bulldoze, we can bypass Chandelure too, it's really important, because it pressure Tangrowth as well. With Focus blast, Tangrowth can more easily bypass Hydreigon, Empoleon... The biggest threat for this core, it's Snorlax. He just wall these two mon and can set up easily on it.

Last edited:

HotFuzzBall

fuzzy-chan \(ㆁヮㆁ✿)
is an Artist

Tangrowth @Assault Vest
Ability: Regenarator
EVs: 252 HP / 126 SpAtt / 130 SpDef
Quiet Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Knock Off
- Focus Blast
- Hidden Power [Ice]

252 SpA Life Orb Hydreigon Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 130+ SpD Assault Vest Tangrowth: 231-273 (57.1 - 67.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Salamence Outrage vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Tangrowth: 168-198 (41.5 - 49%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252 Atk Aerodactyl Aerial Ace vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Tangrowth: 140-168 (34.6 - 41.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252 Atk Life Orb Mamoswine Icicle Crash vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Tangrowth: 299-354 (74 - 87.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Life Orb Abomasnow Blizzard vs. 252 HP / 130+ SpD Assault Vest Tangrowth: 315-374 (77.9 - 92.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Arcanine Rocky Helmet
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Att / 252 Def
Careful Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Extremespeed / Crunch
- Morning Sun
- Will-O-Wisp

I chose this set mainly because both Arcanine and Tangrowth cover each others weaknesses really well (similarly to the post above).
Tangrowth has naturally high offensive stats (110 SpAtt and 100 Att) so investing EVs into its already high offensive stats while holding an Assault Vest make this Pokemon able to dish out high amounts of damage while also taking a lot of hits. Leaf Storm is used to take down any Rock, Water, or Ground types that threaten Arcanine while Focus Blast is used to take down those Steel Types (such as Aggron and Lucario) that would otherwise wall Tangrowth. Hidden Power Ice is coverage against Grass, Flying and Dragon types (especially Salamence). Lastly, Knock Off can be used if to remove items from tanky Pokemon (Blissey, Porygon2, Cobalion) while also being able to attack Chandelure, Froslass, and Doublade.

Arcanine is mainly used as a Supportive Pokemon that help render Tangrowth's threats useless so Tangrowth is able to safely switch in. Flare Blitz can be used to down Bug and Ice types that would threaten Tangrowth. Extremespeed can give Arcanine some priorty to take out low health targets while Crunch could be used if your team needs a counter to Ghost types like Chandelure. Morning Sun is Arcanine's main recovery which was why I chose Rocky Helmet over Leftovers. Lastly, Will-O-Wisp can render any Flying type threats or other Physical power houses (Toxicroak, Mienshao, Aggron) combined with Intimidate will weaken them so severely that Tangrowth can safely switch in and take them out potentially.​

Reactions: nv

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)