Unpopular opinions

I've used a lot of slower tactics in my day. Not only is my preferred kind of Pokémon on the bulkier side (I mean, I use things like Scizor, Gliscor, and Goodra on my team!), it's simply what I'm best at. I remember that the three Pokémon that did the most work for me in Generation V was my Gliscor, Ferrothorn, and Jellicent.
And this extends beyond the realm of Pokémon. One of my favorite Yu-Gi-Oh decks I ever used was one based around these cards that would constantly flip themselves face down, do things when flipped up, and cards meant to stop my opponent from ever attacking them. And it was fun as hell.
I enjoy stall. I also enjoy a good, long, fun match. One of my favorites I ever had was a 80 turn battle and I didn't lose a single 'mon. And for most of it, it was a back and forth of us switching, trying to get the best advantage. It was just a lot of fun to play.
In short, I love a good long battle, as long as it feels like both players are playing well and are contributing to the match's outcome and length.

Why does nobody have any love for balance? In my mind a good balance versus balance battle is the most entertaining match-up. Hyper-offence loses too often on what is ultimately a fifty-fifty guess (the matches are too short for you to be able to try and figure out your opponent's patterns and make proper predictions); stall often wins or loses at team preview (it's basically a case of "did you bring the right stallbreaker?") Balance, though, is a real case of wearing your opponent down to the point where you can make a breakthrough, while trying to stop him doing the same thing to you - a proper battle of wits.

The main reason my favorite generation growing up was gen2 was because they introduced mid-stage Pokemon that I thought were absolutely adorable. I had a Skiploom and a Flaaffy in Gold that I didn't want to evolve because I thought their final forms were unnattractive.

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
The only middle evolution that I think surpasses the final stage in design is Floette over Florges. Florges has that bizarre mix of human and non-human traits that looks like it's trying to rip off Gardevoir but failing to get it right, so it just looks creepy and ugly instead of having that otherworldly elegance Gardevoir possesses. Meanwhile Floette is just anthropomorphic enough that it's endearing while not going into the creepy territory, making it really adorable. Probably one of my favorite Gen VI designs.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
The only middle evolution that I think surpasses the final stage in design is Floette over Florges. Florges has that bizarre mix of human and non-human traits that looks like it's trying to rip off Gardevoir but failing to get it right, so it just looks creepy and ugly instead of having that otherworldly elegance Gardevoir possesses. Meanwhile Floette is just anthropomorphic enough that it's endearing while not going into the creepy territory, making it really adorable. Probably one of my favorite Gen VI designs.
Huh, never noticed it was given a female like body, always distracted by it fusing with its flower and becoming a bouquet of sorts. Actually now looking at it, it's suffering from a bit of "comic female heroes bendy spine" and it kind of looks painful, like it dislodged its spine when it bends. I think Gardevoir works is because it's feminine body is covered by a dress on the bottom and a spike in the middle of the chest (meanwhile Florges emphasis the female body even more by giving it a sort of bra marking); Gardevoir also isn't giving you bedroom eyes. Kind of liked it better when I didn't notice all that.

Anyway what annoys me about Florges is that it has combined with the flower it once held yet it isn't part Grass-type.

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Grass/Fairy would still be better because it's no longer completely outclassed by Sylveon and gets access to a really powerful ability. Not like it can win against Talonflame, Gengar, Heatran, etc. as-is anyway.

It becomes a consistent Scald switch-in and fucks with some Rain teams. You're extremely undervaluing that.

Last edited:

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Fragilady and Florges could have been good Grass Fairy Pokemon, but they choose Whimsicott
There's a lot of Grass-types that could have become part Faerie-types to be honest.

Assistant: Okay, next on the re-typing list is making at least one of the many of the pixie-like Grass-types into part Fairy-type.
Director: Alright, but let's hurry up it's almost time to go home.
A: Well I have a list here. Starting off, how about an obvious choice: Celebi.
D: Nah.
A: Right, might be a good idea to keep the Fairy-type Legendaries to Gen VI *also strikes out the other Cute Mythical Pokemon and Cresselia*. Next, how about Bellossom?
D: Not seeing it.
A: Well I guess it's more of a hula dancer than a fairy. Lilligant's femininity alludes to the modern day vision of a fairy, it even gets Quiver Dance.
D: Not convincing me.
A: Oh, well okay, but I reached the end of my list. Maybe we should just make Florges into a Grass-type?
D: NO! Flabebe is the post Pokemon for Fairy-types so it remain pure Fairy.
A: But Florges fuses with its flower and their main Ability powers-up Grass-types...
D: FAIRY POSTER POKEMON!
A: But we should really make a Grass/Fairy.
D: Hmm, doesn't any Grass-type get Prankster?
A: Um, yeah, the Cottonee family do.
D: Good, make them part Fairy.
A: What?! But they're based on a vegetable sheep. Does it getting Prankster really qualify it to be part Fairy?
D: When it's time to go home for today it is. *signs notes to make Cottonee and Whimsicott into part Fairy-types*

Cresselia~~

Junichi Masuda likes this!!
There's a lot of Grass-types that could have become part Faerie-types to be honest.

Assistant: Okay, next on the re-typing list is making at least one of the many of the pixie-like Grass-types into part Fairy-type.
Director: Alright, but let's hurry up it's almost time to go home.
A: Well I have a list here. Starting off, how about an obvious choice: Celebi.
D: Nah.
A: Right, might be a good idea to keep the Fairy-type Legendaries to Gen VI *also strikes out the other Cute Mythical Pokemon and Cresselia*. Next, how about Bellossom?
D: Not seeing it.
A: Well I guess it's more of a hula dancer than a fairy. Lilligant's femininity alludes to the modern day vision of a fairy, it even gets Quiver Dance.
D: Not convincing me.
A: Oh, well okay, but I reached the end of my list. Maybe we should just make Florges into a Grass-type?
D: NO! Flabebe is the post Pokemon for Fairy-types so it remain pure Fairy.
A: But Florges fuses with its flower and their main Ability powers-up Grass-types...
D: FAIRY POSTER POKEMON!
A: But we should really make a Grass/Fairy.
D: Hmm, doesn't any Grass-type get Prankster?
A: Um, yeah, the Cottonee family do.
D: Good, make them part Fairy.
A: What?! But they're based on a vegetable sheep. Does it getting Prankster really qualify it to be part Fairy?
D: When it's time to go home for today it is. *signs notes to make Cottonee and Whimsicott into part Fairy-types*
I really want Liligant to be part fairy. Her movepool really needs enlargement.

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
What... Why was there a load of posts about competitive here?

Seriously? I'll leave them for now. But OI isn't the place for that :/

And to fire, flying, ice, neutral to bug... God outside of resisting eq and scald grass can ruin some Pokémon.
Ok I don't know where this grass=defensively bad myth came from but it's definitely not true. Those weakness may seem unappealing but they're honestly pretty easy to cover with a good Water type, and the resists they provide are invaluable. Whenever I build a balanced team I often try to include a Grass type because of how well they contribute to team synergy. In the case of Florges it doesn't even really matter if she has numerically more weakness because she loses hard to Fire and Flying types regardless, but on theother hand the newfound resists and actually useful ability dramatically improve her matchup against most common pokemon, and give her an actual niche over Clefable.

Ok I don't know where this grass=defensively bad myth came from but it's definitely not true. Those weakness may seem unappealing but they're honestly pretty easy to cover with a good Water type, and the resists they provide are invaluable. Whenever I build a balanced team I often try to include a Grass type because of how well they contribute to team synergy. In the case of Florges it doesn't even really matter if she has numerically more weakness because she loses hard to Fire and Flying types regardless, but on theother hand the newfound resists and actually useful ability dramatically improve her matchup against most common pokemon, and give her an actual niche over Clefable.
All I'm saying is that half of the time I feel I'm missing a good switch in opportunity, while I admit fire and ice attacks are often without stab and an eq resistance is always good there is also the unappealing factor of having to take into account the most common coverage options to screw you over.

Florges role is mostly of aa cleric, it's prone to switch in at important points in the battle, and I'd rather have it as a mono fairy than an scald sponge for that business.

Guys you literally just got told by a mod to drop competitive discussion .-.

And honestly I really don't care if fairy/grass would be a better typing or a worse typing for Florges anyway; it's still shit in anything other than uu lmao and we're talking thematically here. Water/Dark is better for Mega Gyarados than Water/Dragon and I'm pretty damn sure most of us would have preferred Water/Dragon

I've said it before but I hope that the next bunch of fairy-type pokemon focus on the wilder, darker fae mythos rather than Disney's Tinkerbelle.

So more of this:

Glad they didn't totally ignore the more obscure though, with Mawile, Carbink, Aromatisse, Klefki, and Granbull are at least some variety. Don't know how much I'm entitled to complain on a new type barely one generation in though.

The Fairy type seems to be largely based on conventional magic, not necessarily a classification of mystical creature. Pretty much every Pokemon to date would be a valid Fairy, going by that kind of logic.

I think for now, they're totally fine creating these magical-familiar-styled fairies, but they really need gen7 to flesh out what their design cues are, since it's still pretty open for discussion as to what visually constitutes a Fairy-type. Personally, I think they should find more yokai, like the one Mawile was based on, since those creatures are kind of frightening visually, but are otherwise harmless. Magic should never be a source of fear, you guyyyys :3

Cresselia~~

The Fairy type seems to be largely based on conventional magic, not necessarily a classification of mystical creature. Pretty much every Pokemon to date would be a valid Fairy, going by that kind of logic.

I think for now, they're totally fine creating these magical-familiar-styled fairies, but they really need gen7 to flesh out what their design cues are, since it's still pretty open for discussion as to what visually constitutes a Fairy-type. Personally, I think they should find more yokai, like the one Mawile was based on, since those creatures are kind of frightening visually, but are otherwise harmless. Magic should never be a source of fear, you guyyyys :3
Or maybe mythological creatures in general, rather than just yokai.
Otherwise it would be unnecessarily similar to Yokai Watch.

Cresselia~~

You've got that the wrong way round there - Yokai Watch is unnecessarily similar to Pokemon.
They aren't THAT similar. At least for now.
Pokemon is more of a natural/ eco/ science route, whilst Yokai Watch has a very traditional and history theme to it. They originate very differently.
Yokai Watch anime is actually very traditional, and replays a lot of historical events.

I just don't see how Pokemon need to enter the traditional/ mythology route, because Pokemon does not have to compete with Yokai Watch.
I mean, Yokai Watch can't expand into biology/ nature at all, because it is mythology and history based.
Pokemon doesn't have to take their rice bowl.

They aren't THAT similar. At least for now.
Pokemon is more of a natural/ eco/ science route, whilst Yokai Watch has a very traditional and history theme to it. They originate very differently.
Yokai Watch anime is actually very traditional, and replays a lot of historical events.

I just don't see how Pokemon need to enter the traditional/ mythology route, because Pokemon does not have to compete with Yokai Watch.
I mean, Yokai Watch can't expand into biology/ nature at all, because it is mythology and history based.
Pokemon doesn't have to take their rice bowl.
Literally every generation introduces a ton of Pokémon based on Japanese mythological and traditional staples tho????

Also am I the only one who actually shitting loves complete zygarde like omg it's so feckin' cool stop the pre-release kneejerk hate ;;

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 16)