2015/16 Football/Soccer thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yaya is a massive liability. I know the pundits love him and they love to say pace this and power that but honestly apart from that one season where he got a shit-ton of penalty and free-kick goals because of Aguero and Silva's injuries he has been poor. The one thing he does have is a great touch and a good shot but he just doesn't run enough for a box to box mid. That's why so many managers have tried to play him in the hole but then you're leaving out Silva who is amazing there. It's a good option when Silva is out injured like today but they have De Bruyne as an option as well now. When Yaya is in the midfield two he just leaves Fernandinho to do all the leg work which doesn't work. Teams that attack City, like really go for it with width, have found them out time and again. For me Yaya wouldn't make it into that team if all are fully fit. What they really need is a proper defensive mid, someone like Matic or Coquelin, who will provide the cover and let Fernandinho have a bit more freedom - he has a decent shot too. With Silva, Sterling, De Bruyne and Aguero up front they're not short of creativity and goals. They don't need Yaya loitering around up there too.

Yaya is a massive liability. I know the pundits love him and they love to say pace this and power that but honestly apart from that one season where he got a shit-ton of penalty and free-kick goals because of Aguero and Silva's injuries he has been poor. The one thing he does have is a great touch and a good shot but he just doesn't run enough for a box to box mid. That's why so many managers have tried to play him in the hole but then you're leaving out Silva who is amazing there. It's a good option when Silva is out injured like today but they have De Bruyne as an option as well now. When Yaya is in the midfield two he just leaves Fernandinho to do all the leg work which doesn't work. Teams that attack City, like really go for it with width, have found them out time and again. For me Yaya wouldn't make it into that team if all are fully fit. What they really need is a proper defensive mid, someone like Matic or Coquelin, who will provide the cover and let Fernandinho have a bit more freedom - he has a decent shot too. With Silva, Sterling, De Bruyne and Aguero up front they're not short of creativity and goals. They don't need Yaya loitering around up there too.
^this. I was flabbergasted when I saw De Bruyne on the wings and Yaya at #10. He shouldn't have been in, he's too slow and a pressing midfield like Spurs relish a center like that. Aguero's injury did not help much either. Wilfried will surely be gone by the end of the season, if not by winter.

Man, wtf is José smoking? Why is Ivanovic still starting games at right back? And that's not all, we looked so dull and predictable, Mourinho really needs to try something else but he's so fucking rigid.
Mourinho always have troubles in his 3rd season as long as I remember. Courtois's injury hasn't helped either and he doesn't seem to trust the younger players.

Early days but MU seems to have struck gold with Martial. 4 goals and 2 assists in the last 5 games is exceptional, even for a seasoned pro. Wonder how he will fare against stronger teams (Liverpool doesn't count since it's struggling when they played each other)

Sanchez seems to have turned a corner after a poor start (like he did last season). Arsenal needs him firing since Giround isn't good enough while Ozil and Ramsey are off-form.

Sturridge - since 2012/2013, this guy has a higher goals per minute ration than even Aguero and he scored 2 yesterday. His link-up play with Ings is also decent. With Coutinho off-form and the shocking defense, Sturridge's partnership with Ings / Benteke will be important if Liverpool wants to turn their season around.

EDIT: Just saw that SAF revealed he only ever had 4 World Class players: Giggs, Cantona, Ronaldo and Scholes. To me, that sounds like nonsense because he had Schmeichel (top 2 GK in the world alongside Kahn), Ferdinand + Vidic (great CB pairing that lasted for ages), Keane (one of the greatest CM in EPL alongside Viera, Gerrard and Makelele), Stam (unplayable), Van Nistelrooy (there was a period where they had Henry and RVN, and then there is everyone else), Beckham and Rooney (I think he was on par with Ronaldo before Ronaldo left. He regressed after that). He also had Solskjaer who helped saved his skin on numerous occasions.

Last edited:
"Best League in the World" - hahahahahaha.

Up to both Manchester clubs to salvage some pride. Hopefully, the Europa League candidates can do something to rake in points for England.

HBK

Subtlety is my middle name
Most entertaining, not the best. I fail to understand what Mourinho sees in Ivanovic, and how he can't see what we all can.....why is he digging his own grave!?

shade

be sharp, say nowt
is a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
yeah plus if they finish 4th in the group they wont go into the EL, it is only if you finish 3rd

England 2-0 Germany
Manchester 2-0 London

Mata O.O
yeah you beat the 4th best team in the bundesliga at home and city beat a bottom dwelling bundesliga team. Too bad you guys couldn't beat the 3rd best team in the netherlands. But a 1-1 record against mediocre opponents just screams champions league trophy at the end of the year

as a Greek who is also a united fan this week could not have been better

that being said i am not very comfortable with how bad we looked after schweini got subbed off

ZoroDark

esse quam videri
is a Tiering Contributor
Serious question: have those extra referees next to the goal ever done anything useful? Either they avoid their responsibility and just don't do anything or they mess up. Case in point: Borussia - City featured both of these problems and so did the matches of the 2 Belgian teams in the EL. Goal line technology should be obligatory in European matches and so should video review to some capacity. If only FIFA/UEFA could ever do something useful...

Serious question: have those extra referees next to the goal ever done anything useful? Either they avoid their responsibility and just don't do anything or they mess up. Case in point: Borussia - City featured both of these problems and so did the matches of the 2 Belgian teams in the EL. Goal line technology should be obligatory in European matches and so should video review to some capacity. If only FIFA/UEFA could ever do something useful...
you think organizations like FIFA and UEFA could run anything? They stumbled backwards and fell into champions league and the world cup and they are still doing their darnest to fuck it up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)