(Little) Things that annoy you in Pokémon

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Perhaps it is Spikes that needs tweaking, but I'm not going to go wish-listing on how.

As for Pumpkaboo and Phantump, how are they meant to be version exclusive when I can find them both in roughly the same route? (and Trevenant in Route 20) Pumpkaboo represents a pumpkin - usually you want to search for the biggest one you can find. (granted, I think the smallest one is sometimes also used) I am a little confused as to why there's four sizes of Pumpkaboo/Gourgeist but only three different stat spreads, (small, huge, and the in between) though.
I think non-Flying and Levitating Pokemon losing 1/4th of their HP is enough, I don't want to imagine what a 4th layer that removes half of max HP would be like on the metagame (probably turn it to "race to be the first to get your 4 layers out"... that or the move gets banned).

Oh, sorry, for some reason I thought they were version exclusives. Well still them being found on the same route, being Ghost/Grass, and having a move that adds a type to their opponents kind of have them being paired together. Yet Pumpkaboo has a forme gimmick why Phantump doesn't. Like trees can be different sizes or maybe even have its be with width (Slender, Thin, Thick, Fluffy, DAMN, Bulky. Probably would trade either Attack with Defense or Defense with Special Defense).

There's four different stat spreads, but as you pointed out in the meta game there might as well only be 3. Everyone either uses Small for Speed of Super for Attack, hardly anyone uses Average and Large. Maybe Averages gets a little use since its Speed is okay at best, but at the point of large you might as well just use Super.

I really don't like the "Talonflame/Charizard/Volcarona would be overpowered!!!" argument because, like... okay sure they are, just ban 'em. Done. Who cares lmao
Since when was Charizard banworthy? Look, I love Charizard as much as the next guy but before Mega Evolutions even I can admit at best it needed a gimmick to work. And even with its Mega Evolutions and the major boost they did for it I still don't think without Stealth Rock he's ban worthy (just makes him usable in the OU/Ubers game). I can see Volcarona as if it can get off a few Quiver Dances it becomes a fast sweeper and same can be said with Gale Wings Talonflame + Brave Bird (huh, that's odd, I thought Talonflame got Hurricane but it doesn't)... oh sweet Arceus, what would THEIR Mega Evolutions be like?

Azure Bay is in the northwest of Kalos, while the french area Côte d'Azur is in the southeast of France. They just had to put it on the completely opposite side.
Erm... creative license? *shrugs*

I think non-Flying and Levitating Pokemon losing 1/4th of their HP is enough, I don't want to imagine what a 4th layer that removes half of max HP would be like on the metagame (probably turn it to "race to be the first to get your 4 layers out"... that or the move gets banned).

Oh, sorry, for some reason I thought they were version exclusives. Well still them being found on the same route, being Ghost/Grass, and having a move that adds a type to their opponents kind of have them being paired together. Yet Pumpkaboo has a forme gimmick why Phantump doesn't. Like trees can be different sizes or maybe even have its be with width (Slender, Thin, Thick, Fluffy, DAMN, Bulky. Probably would trade either Attack with Defense or Defense with Special Defense).

There's four different stat spreads, but as you pointed out in the meta game there might as well only be 3. Everyone either uses Small for Speed of Super for Attack, hardly anyone uses Average and Large. Maybe Averages gets a little use since its Speed is okay at best, but at the point of large you might as well just use Super.

Since when was Charizard banworthy? Look, I love Charizard as much as the next guy but before Mega Evolutions even I can admit at best it needed a gimmick to work. And even with its Mega Evolutions and the major boost they did for it I still don't think without Stealth Rock he's ban worthy (just makes him usable in the OU/Ubers game). I can see Volcarona as if it can get off a few Quiver Dances it becomes a fast sweeper and same can be said with Gale Wings Talonflame + Brave Bird (huh, that's odd, I thought Talonflame got Hurricane but it doesn't)... oh sweet Arceus, what would THEIR Mega Evolutions be like?

Erm... creative license? *shrugs*
I was thinking more like not needing to set 3 layers for its current maximum effectiveness, like 2 at most.

Huh. I thought average and large shared the same spread. My bad. Honestly only small and super are needed, if that.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Okay, let's move on then.

Let's see... have we talked about how the Gyms/Gym Leaders were sort of downgraded since Gen V?

In Gen V many of the Gym Leaders not only had a role outside of being a Gym Leader but many of their gyms sort of served a secondary function (or least the early ones did). But come Gen VI many of the Gym Leaders returned to being just people you fought and the Gyms once again seemed almost specifically made just to be a puzzle for the player to solve. Sure we still have XY2/Z to go but even in BW it gave the Gym Leaders plenty to do (though thinking about it some BW Gym Leaders did get a bit of a decreased role in BW2; though the new ones were given plenty to do so I guess it balances out).

Let's see... have we talked about how the Gyms/Gym Leaders were sort of downgraded since Gen V?

In Gen V many of the Gym Leaders not only had a role outside of being a Gym Leader but many of their gyms sort of served a secondary function (or least the early ones did). But come Gen VI many of the Gym Leaders returned to being just people you fought and the Gyms once again seemed almost specifically made just to be a puzzle for the player to solve. Sure we still have XY2/Z to go but even in BW it gave the Gym Leaders plenty to do (though thinking about it some BW Gym Leaders did get a bit of a decreased role in BW2; though the new ones were given plenty to do so I guess it balances out).
It's such that I actually praised Korrina for having what in truth amounts to little role (the Mega Evolution subplot is...something, I guess, but for the driving focus of Sycamore's work it's over relatively quickly). For Pete's sake, you don't even get to meet Ramos or Valerie before you face them!

It's such that I actually praised Korrina for having what in truth amounts to little role (the Mega Evolution subplot is...something, I guess, but for the driving focus of Sycamore's work it's over relatively quickly). For Pete's sake, you don't even get to meet Ramos or Valerie before you face them!
I wouldn't mind more explanation of Valerie. Her eyes are creepy but she is pretty cute. :v

Valerie has no visible hands... She's really creepy to me. *Edit* I know that they are in her sleeves. But what happens if she falls on her face? I want to see that. Can she get up if that happens? And how does she even throw a pokeball.

Last edited:

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
I wouldn't mind more explanation of Valerie. Her eyes are creepy but she is pretty cute. :v
Well she's originally a fashion designer from Johto who always wanted to be a Pokemon ever since she was little. Yeah, she's a bit of an odd character but I suppose her being both a fashion designer and wanting to be a Pokemon explains her clothes and eyes (I'm guessing she's wearing contacts. She looks a bit more normal in the anime as we see more whites of her eyes).

Valerie has no visible hands... She's really creepy to me. *Edit* I know that they are in her sleeves. But what happens if she falls on her face? I want to see that. Can she get up if that happens? And how does she even throw a pokeball.
Here's a visual representation of where her arms are:

The sleeves are just hanging down to look like wings. She can perfectly do anything she needs to do with her hands if need be.

What I'm wondering is how the end of the sleeves are standing out like that. Like does she have a wire going down it?

Well she's originally a fashion designer from Johto who always wanted to be a Pokemon ever since she was little. Yeah, she's a bit of an odd character but I suppose her being both a fashion designer and wanting to be a Pokemon explains her clothes and eyes (I'm guessing she's wearing contacts. She looks a bit more normal in the anime as we see more whites of her eyes).

Here's a visual representation of where her arms are:

The sleeves are just hanging down to look like wings. She can perfectly do anything she needs to do with her hands if need be.

What I'm wondering is how the end of the sleeves are standing out like that. Like does she have a wire going down it?
Probably. I don't know much about fashion, but I would expect that's how it works.

Cresselia~~

Junichi Masuda likes this!!
The sleeves are probably inspired by the butterfly fairies in Chinese literature. The long sleeves are the butterfly wings.
Her gym looks really Chinese to me, too.

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands

You're saying this like every game had Gym Leaders that appeared in the story... Just because one generation gave them a slightly bigger role doesn't mean they can't go back on themselves.

Let's do a quick headcount:

Kanto: Giovanni is the only one you meet prior to battling them for a Badge. All the others you "don't even meet before you battle them" jordanthejq12

Johto: Mostly the same. Jasmine is the only one you meet prior to battling and that's because she's looking after Amphy at the lighthouse.

Hoenn: Your dad obviously at the start of the game, Wattson you meet after your gym battle, Wallace/Juan (Depending on which games).

Sinnoh: Roark briefly because he isn't at the gym.

Unova: Has been discussed above, most of the gym leaders have secondary roles, Lenora and Clay play important roles and Elesa at least gets a "Let her do this" speech.

Kalos: Back to the status quo really. Korrina stands out here because she is very important to the overall game. You briefly meet Wulfric on another "fetch the gym leader" type quest. Grant is standing outside his gym when he meets you, gloating about winning the Bike race. Clemont is also outside his gym. So four of the Kalos leaders you meet briefly before you battle them "outside" their gyms. Even those small snippets are far more than what most of the other generations have given us.

Valerie is confirmed (or at least very close to being) as being a Kimono girl from Johto. Explains the Eeveelution and probably her fashion ideas too. But I agree she is creepy, but honestly? Give us more strange Gym leaders and characters.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
DHR-107:
I was more trying to convey after expanding the Gym Leader roles in Gen V for them to go back to some Gym Leaders in Gen VI only being in their Gym. I'm not asking for them to have a storyline importance, but just seeing them outside their Gym doing something else would have been nice especially it being done so well the generation prior. Like it was nice to see Viola, Grant, and Wulfric just outside of their Gym doing something other than Gym Leader duties. But what about Ramos? Clemont (and Bonnie)? Valerie? Olympia? Actually speaking of Olympia I got something to say about her.

Valerie is maybe weird but at least she's explainable, to me one of the more weirder Gym Leaders is Olympia. Okay, sure, she doesn't look as odd as Valerie but she still stands out with her odd hair (and that's saying something for a game character), floating ring bracelets, and her cape that's a galaxy on the inside. And then we get to her in the game and by far she has to be the most powerful character that's not a Pokemon. Like at first you maybe think you could write off her warping reality as an illusion but then she teleports you (not to mention she can see into the future)! Honestly she actually seems a bit TOO powerful. Like previously we had Sabrina but compared to a Pokemon's psychic powers she paled in comparison. But Olympia? She can probably hold her own against a Pokemon.

Last edited:

Cresselia~~

Junichi Masuda likes this!!
DHR-107:
I was more trying to convey after expanding the Gym Leader roles in Gen V for them to go back to some Gym Leaders in Gen VI only being in their Gym. I'm not asking for them to have a storyline importance, but just seeing them outside their Gym doing something else would have been nice especially it being done so well the generation prior. Like it was nice to see Viola, Grant, and Wulfric just outside of their Gym doing something other than Gym Leader duties. But what about Ramos? Clemont (and Bonnie)? Valerie? Olympia? Actually speaking of Olympia I got something to say about her.

Valerie is maybe weird but at least she's explainable, to me one of the more weirder Gym Leaders is Olympia. Okay, sure, she doesn't look as odd as Valerie but she still stands out with her odd hair (and that's saying something for a game character), floating ring bracelets, and her cape that's a galaxy on the inside. And then we get to her in the game and by far she has to be the most powerful character that's not a Pokemon. Like at first you maybe think you could right off her warping reality as an illusion but then she teleports you (not to mention she can see into the future)! Honestly she actually seems a bit TOO powerful. Like previously we had Sabrina but compared to a Pokemon's psychic powers he paled in comparison. But Olympia? She can probably hold her own against a Pokemon.
I sure think Olympia is a lot wierder than Valerie. Especially the hair. The garment's a bit funny too, it looks like some circus skin tight performance leotard, but it seems that she's wearing it everywhere.
I hope they can show more of Olympia's powers in the anime.

DHR-107:

Valerie is maybe weird but at least she's explainable, to me one of the more weirder Gym Leaders is Olympia. Okay, sure, she doesn't look as odd as Valerie but she still stands out with her odd hair (and that's saying something for a game character), floating ring bracelets, and her cape that's a galaxy on the inside. And then we get to her in the game and by far she has to be the most powerful character that's not a Pokemon. Like at first you maybe think you could write off her warping reality as an illusion but then she teleports you (not to mention she can see into the future)! Honestly she actually seems a bit TOO powerful. Like previously we had Sabrina but compared to a Pokemon's psychic powers she paled in comparison. But Olympia? She can probably hold her own against a Pokemon.
I don't see Olympia as quite that powerful... Plus who's to say that Sabrina is any less 'powerful'? In the games, she seems the type who doesn't feel a need to flaunt her powers. I'll stop here because this seems to be more fitting of the mysteries thread than this one.

I sure think Olympia is a lot wierder than Valerie. Especially the hair. The garment's a bit funny too, it looks like some circus skin tight performance leotard, but it seems that she's wearing it everywhere.
I hope they can show more of Olympia's powers in the anime.
I hate Olympia so much now... RIP Sycamore the Venusaur. She's I think still a nicely designed gym leader, I like that cape.

I know I'm bizarre but in B/W gym leaders were Male then Female then Male then Female ...
In X&Y, it's F/M/F/M/M/F/F/M !

Why Clemont is not after Valeria ? :)

I know I'm bizarre but in B/W gym leaders were Male then Female then Male then Female ...
In X&Y, it's F/M/F/M/M/F/F/M !

Why Clemont is not after Valeria ? :)
Because he isn't. The gym leaders don't usually have that alternating pattern, and indeed in Black you face Drayden for the Legend Badge instead of Iris. (B2/W2 maintain that pattern as Marlon's clearly not a girl)

Okay, I really hate the fact that Hydreigon has three heads, and regardless of if the other two have no brains, have them positioned as arms. Don't get me wrong, Hydreigon is one of my favorite Pokemon, but I have a super hard time seeing its other heads as necks... just arms with jaws on the end (like Scizor's attempted illusion).

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
The Pokédex explicitly mentions those are arms. It might be intended to be similar to Scizor but got slighty botched in execution, maybe due to something getting lost in translation.

We're talking about things that annoy you about Hydreigon... and it's not that they didn't go with the original concept of it being a cyber tank
fucking
I honestly doubt it would have been executed well if they went with the original concept. :v

ORAS removing babies and unown(poor thing can never get a break from benefiting from the 3 31 IVs mechanic.

well less annoying since with the dex navi bit of ORAS that would make getting 6 IVs way to easy but still.

although we gotta wait and see what "Z" does to see if it's was a oversight/bug for X/Y or if it was intentionally removed for ORAS because of the dexnav feature.

ORAS removing babies and unown(poor thing can never get a break from benefiting from the 3 31 IVs mechanic.

well less annoying since with the dex navi bit of ORAS that would make getting 6 IVs way to easy but still.

although we gotta wait and see what "Z" does to see if it's was a oversight/bug for X/Y or if it was intentionally removed for ORAS because of the dexnav feature.
Pretty sure only legendary Pokemon were ever intended to do the guaranteed 3 flawless IV's thing, given how everything else can be bred for better IV's once evolved... or catch a Nidoran F instead of Nidorina. (Unown is still a joke regardless)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 5)