Gen VII: Pokémon Sun and Moon (New info Post #5834)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why didn't Zygarde save the world? Other than we wouldn't have a plot/boss battle? Well I've got a couple theories...

1. Zygarde's powers are mostly just to keep Xerneas and Yveltal in check, and Team Flare was just exploiting the legendaries, not having them run wild or fight each other.

2. He knew you'd do it because Arceus told him or something so he didn't bother.

3. He's a passive poke-god, so he can't judge people for what they intend to do or what they may do, only what they did. So until Lysandre actually fired the thing, Zygarde wouldn't intervene. This theory could mean that the cave-in was Zygarde's doing... possibly... but it looks pretty clear that the weapon either backfired and/or Lysandre pulled a rage-quit self-destruct.

4. He's a snake-slug. He got the memo but it's just taking him a while to get there. :)

5. There's some unknown trigger to his final form that relies on humanity or a partner or some missing fuel source, like mega-evolution. This mainly ties into Rayquaza needing fuel from meteorites and the prayers of humanity to stop the xenomorph Deoxys' meteor. Zygarde didn't have the means to achieve his complete form so he couldn't save anyone.

6. He's an order knight templar who feels that the world will be better off without 99% of humans and pokemon, finding order in stillness. Like Ashera from Fire Emblem. And there will come soft rains and the smell of the ground...

He probably wasn't even aware what was happening, or maybe he detected the weapon's build-up, but then again, how fast could Zygarde have even gotten there to do anything?
If the weapon had been fired as planned, Zygarde would've likely been drained of his life force just like everyone else. Then again, it is hard to tell how the Weapon would've worked had it been fired using Xerneas's energy. I guess it would be like firing shells of energy all over the planet, so if the Terminus Cave didn't cave in, maybe there would've been survivors, including Zygarde. But I played the Y Version, and I was under the impression that the Weapon would've drained the life force of everything not protected on the planet, and that is specifically because I remember Lysandre's regret that his plan would kill off all of the Pokémon that were not with Team Flare.

I doubt that Zygarde could know that Xerneas/Yvetal was even dug up, so he would've realistically had very little warning to go out an do anything.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
JES: Actually Lysandre planned on killing all Pokemon period since he doesn't think there's enough resources for both people and Pokemon.

I always took it as the Ultimate Weapon had the power to both kill via its "death ball from above" and the radiation it gives off makes those nearby immortal. While it was draining only one Legendary who had power over one of those mechanic, the Ultimate Weapon could convert that energy into the other but it still either needed a form of life energy to even do anything (be it immortal energy from Xerneas or death energy from Yvetal).

Reactions: JES

brightobject

there like moonlight
is a Top Artistis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
complete zygarde is objectively bad design

no visual cohesion whatsoever, even if the thing was a mech in some mecha anime id still hate its guts lol--> mythological basis for concept and the idea of an ultimate zyg in general are so cool but the designers really messed it up imo.

also when you sneeze you shouldn't say bless you to yourself wtf

also maybe zygarde knew the ultimate weapon would fail (even without malfunction)? E.g. it's got some connection with the earth stuff going and was getting some strong-af woodstock vibes that team flare's flower bs wasn't gonna do zilch to the earth in the end. After all, the weapon got used before in the great az war and the earth is still standing and there's still pokemon everywhere right?

Also come to think of it why the heck would you send a floette to fight in a war like jesus you sure were running out of options az

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
also maybe zygarde knew the ultimate weapon would fail (even without malfunction)? E.g. it's got some connection with the earth stuff going and was getting some strong-af woodstock vibes that team flare's flower bs wasn't gonna do zilch to the earth in the end. After all, the weapon got used before in the great az war and the earth is still standing and there's still pokemon everywhere right?

Also come to think of it why the heck would you send a floette to fight in a war like jesus you sure were running out of options az
Team Flare didn't want to destroy the planet, they just wanted to kill every non-Team Flare and Pokemon on it. That's the Ultimate Weapon's purpose, sure it can cause great destruction in the area but the area will recover but not the people and Pokemon that were caught in the blast. AZ built it to revive Floette (which it did) and then used it to kill the soldiers fighting the war to end it (which it did). It never failed, it was only stopped.

And did you see AZ's Floette fighting the war? It was kicking major behind with that flower cannon of its. Also AZ's Floette does have stats on par with a Florges, though that could be from being revived by the Ultimate Weapon/having lived for over 3,000 years. Also this was a WAR, as in I don't think the Pokemon were holding back. Like a Ratatta may be weak in a competitive battle, but it can kill you by ripping out your throat with it huge teeth.

Az's Floette was taken forcefully from him by the army fighting the war; he didn't exactly have any choice or power in the matter.

He was the freaking prince/king, you'd think he'd have a say in that.
Depends. While we tend to think of Kings from a long time ago to have a ton of power and influence; basically gods in terms of how much their say means, it could be that the monarchy in the Pokémon universe was losing or had lost that power and military came first. I know this sounds like baseless speculation but it's really just to say that being king doesn't equal immunity or large power, contradictory as that sounds. Hell, in the UK we still have a queen but she has incredibly little power to the point of actually not having any.
Regardless what I'm saying comes from a Game Informer interview with Masuda, according to Bulbapedia. The Floette apparently was also a gift from his deceased mother; ouch.

brightobject

there like moonlight
is a Top Artistis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Depends. While we tend to think of Kings from a long time ago to have a ton of power and influence; basically gods in terms of how much their say means, it could be that the monarchy in the Pokémon universe was losing or had lost that power and military came first. I know this sounds like baseless speculation but it's really just to say that being king doesn't equal immunity or large power, contradictory as that sounds. Hell, in the UK we still have a queen but she has incredibly little power to the point of actually not having any.
Regardless what I'm saying comes from a Game Informer interview with Masuda, according to Bulbapedia. The Floette apparently was also a gift from his deceased mother; ouch.
yeah but like were there really no spare ttars lying around or something smh
Literally they could have put all their tauros and bouff and stuff in a daycare and ran around really fast to make new pokes instead of stealing weak ones from royalty

yeah but like were there really no spare ttars lying around or something smh
Literally they could have put all their tauros and bouff and stuff in a daycare and ran around really fast to make new pokes instead of stealing weak ones from royalty
Who's to say they weren't? In WWI conscription they didn't just get the strongest men in the UK; they made sure to get every single man that could so much as hold a gun. Unless you were under 16 or had some sort of severe excuse that would prevent you from being able to fight, you were either fighting in the war or facing the firing squad. Weak and Strong alike fought the war.

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
It took place 3,000 years ago, back when kings did have that power. He (or his dad) could have just said no.

I think this topic has run its course for now since the main discussion has dried up and we've moved on to discussing AZ's backstory. Codraroll or DHR-107 I think locking the thread until we get new info would be prudent.

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
Only been open for a little over a week... But I can do that for you. We've been keeping an eye on things anyway, but I think I agree at this point it would be wise to lock this back up until we get more information. Don't forget to PM one of the OI mods (NoCheese, CodraRoll, or I [Remember that CRoll and I are European]) if new information comes to light and we have not seen it yet.

It's a shame Electric (EDIT: and Fire) attacks seem to be the only ones used for comedic effect on people. Because I want something to happen for her to say "Ow, bad Squishy, bad Squishy".

Last edited:
Something tells me they're going to introduce a Hidden Grotto-esque mechanic for finding the ZyCells(...Zygotes? ZyCells). I don't mean like "you're gonna see little hidden rooms where they're waiting for you", but I think that, no matter how many ZyCells you have to interact with (assuming they aren't just a plot device instead of a gameplay element), you have to put the work into running into them at the right time, like a slightly easier version of finding HA mons or rare items in Grottoes.

brightobject

there like moonlight
I can imagine something similar to what yveltal mentioned above with game freak introducing perhaps special trainers who are holding various ziggy aard coils hostage and you gotta get em back through battle. After all, as we've discussed before, the nature of Pokemon is such that they have to try to link everything with battling.

brightobject

there like moonlight
I wonder whether the logo on the new game's boxart will be purple, red/blue, green, green/purple, purple/red/blue, or green/purple/red/blue

Cresselia~~

Junichi Masuda likes this!!
I really wonder what takes them so long to announce the games.
Seriously, even the anime is announced now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)