Tournament BLT II: Best 'Leaderboarders' Tournament

Status
Not open for further replies.
When we had a serious problem with subs last season, great to see teams changing before week 1! This should lead to an even more competitive season............. Oh wait...
This season subs actually have to have played games in the tournament room and achieve pointspoints if you weren't aware, so what's your point? This is as good and as fair as subs get across the board, unless you just want teams to go without and be punished because players are inactive or have other IRL issues?

Like I totally understand the qualification system, but the fact that they got 2 nonqual picks, when everyone knows that guys like pohjis are one there better players now, just doesnt feel fair. When teams are limited to qual picks and their last pick happens to be inactive, it just doesn't feel fair, especially with last season as context for just pulling better players into your team.

If its like Last BLT, teams are divided into 2 groups of 4, and play a round robin. a win is 3 pts, draws are 1 pt, loses are 0 . so top 2 teams from each group advance, and a 4 man tournament based on seeding happens, elimination, and then the victinis win finals. thats p much the system

Like I totally understand the qualification system, but the fact that they got 2 nonqual picks, when everyone knows that guys like pohjis are one there better players now, just doesnt feel fair. When teams are limited to qual picks and their last pick happens to be inactive, it just doesn't feel fair, especially with last season as context for just pulling better players into your team.
In all honestly I don't understand why this is a problem, like don't you want to have a challenge? Like if someone grabs FLCL (considered one of the best NU players) and somehow he agrees i'm freaking excited since the fact I have a challenge, something to look forward to. BLT is supposed to be a challenge to get the best out of you and the best battles possible. So I don't see the problem? But that would probably be just me.

I like challenges, but when people get extra draft that just doesn't feel fair. It's a fact about every draft system that as the rounds go on, the quality gets lower. When there's a pool of specialty players available at the end and everyone can access it once that's fine. But the fact that a team gets 2 draft picks and gets to replace their last pick doesn't feel fair. I've talked to vapo about this and I understand somethings can't be changed right now, but it doesn't feel fair for 6/8 teams that don't get an extra pick.

I like challenges, but when people get extra draft that just doesn't feel fair. It's a fact about every draft system that as the rounds go on, the quality gets lower. When there's a pool of specialty players available at the end and everyone can access it once that's fine. But the fact that a team gets 2 draft picks and gets to replace their last pick doesn't feel fair. I've talked to vapo about this and I understand somethings can't be changed right now, but it doesn't feel fair for 6/8 teams that don't get an extra pick.
So you would let a team play with 6 people and have a instant 1-0 behind? (because I think that is not fair)

No but why shouldn't it go to someone who almost qualified instead of getting a second non-qual pick. If it was a qual pick, it should go to the next most points getting player

Eyan

sleep is the cousin of death
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
You're making it more complicated than it actually is. Whether it stems from team considerations, tier considerations, or just overall efficiency, it all points to the current system being optimal.
If it was a qual pick, it should go to the next most points getting player
No manager should be forced upon any players when the initial draft is done with each qualifying player picked by choice (except the last one). Yes, maybe you could say it'd make it more fair to the other teams and players, but it'd be unfair to the ones needing a sub. Consider the situation where the people who almost qualified all play ou or uu when you need a dou player. Furthermore, it's not like the blame of a qualifying player not being able to play, should fall on the shoulders of the managers and assmans.

As with any tour, there'll always be an advantage to some sides when it comes to subs, but it's supposed to be for fun. I highly doubt the system is just gonna change, so let's not ruin it for others. Otherwise, I see no reason for keeping the thread open. There is absolutely no reason to carry on with this argument or w/e.

If you are in need of someone to play a certain tier, that should have probably been addressed in the draft, which most teams did. I talked to vapo about this, obviously there are problems in the system and there will always be loopholes that will be exploited, (intentionally or unintentionally). I want a fair tournament. When i get picked on a team, it sucks to see other teams essentially get another pick because their last pick doesnt want to play. I wish we had that chance but we don't. If you're first pick went inactive, I totally get it, but let's be perfectly honest Pohjis is substantially better than whoever went afk. Whatever the situation is, the volcaronas got a free non-qual pick which is perfectly within the rules. I know nothing's going to change this time, but this is going to be the same issue we had with subs last season, but its just happening earlier

Edit: Sorry pohjis, i don't mean anything against you, your just good at ubers and seeing you in the tour now is upsetting because it probably hands my team an L

Freeroamer

The greatest story of them all.
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor
If you are in need of someone to play a certain tier, that should have probably been addressed in the draft, which most teams did. I talked to vapo about this, obviously there are problems in the system and there will always be loopholes that will be exploited, (intentionally or unintentionally). I want a fair tournament. When i get picked on a team, it sucks to see other teams essentially get another pick because their last pick doesnt want to play. I wish we had that chance but we don't. If you're first pick went inactive, I totally get it, but let's be perfectly honest Pohjis is substantially better than whoever went afk. Whatever the situation is, the volcaronas got a free non-qual pick which is perfectly within the rules. I know nothing's going to change this time, but this is going to be the same issue we had with subs last season, but its just happening earlier

Edit: Sorry pohjis, i don't mean anything against you, your just good at ubers and seeing you in the tour now is upsetting because it probably hands my team an L
It isn't the same issue as last year, last year teams were subbing in smogon tour players who had probably never joined the tours room, let alone entered a tour there. There isn't really a perfect system to cover something like this because including subs in the draft makes the draft v. big and still doesn't account for ppl going MIA so I think this system, while it has its flaws at least ensures a reasonably level playing field.

In all honesty this is the second variation of this tournament so flaws are still going to be there. Maybe next time the top 8 get auto qualified and the next 8 for the period qualify for the non qualified pick plus the pool to pick from for subs. That way we have 30+ people in the sub pool and would be obivous that they are regular tour players. Obviously it would be a little tougher to track since one person could be in the next 8 and then qualify in a later period but it's just a thought for the future.

eh unfortunately this stuff is gonna happen. first season my team had 3 different subs because sand1234 stall hater and Hyuhyy all couldnt play or just went inactive. unfortunately subs are always gonna be needed because someone will have to pull out. Just wish people didnt make such a big deal out of it. yeah pohjis is good but no one picked him up for the non qual spot, so if he needs to be subbed then whats the issue?

Alright well I'm never going to be happy about this, but it feels more like an extra draft pick than a sub when its before week 1 and a permanent team member, but I get that its necessary

Reactions: DEG

shiloh

is a Member of Senior Staffis a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
Tiering Lead
Sorry for taking a little break, but wasn't really feeling up to do that much the past few days. Coming in third this BLT is a team that could very easily win this year since they have a strong lineup that should serve them well for most of the regular season.

Vermillion Volcaronas | Manager: Winry - Winry picked a solid team and was one of the few managers I can say came out on top for this draft; Assman: Feliburn - hi Feliburn \o
  • Scyther no Swiping (OU) - Scyther should be a really solid OU player in a BLT where OU players aren't that common. I haven't really seen him play, so I'm not sure if he is worth the first pic
  • BreloomMyHomie / TechSupportBreloom (LC) - TSB is a really solid player I've played with and seen play a lot, but his decision to play LC is surprising to me, especially due to his knowledge of higher tiers.
  • Happen (RU) - Sorry don't know you
  • AV99 (NU) - AV99 should be a solid pick for NU, but once again with a lot of the other NU picks there is a lot of competition and pulling out wins should be difficult
  • EXAMPLE000 (DOU) - Sorry don't know you
  • Jrsmash9 / Pohjis (Ubers) - Both players should be solid, but I'm never really sure how to rank people for Ubers due to the tier being called not fun by big players
  • Eyan (UU) - Eyan is probably one of the most solid picks for this team since the quality of UU players is high and Eyan knows what he is doing
This team has the potential to do very well since they have everything they need to go far in terms of tier knowledge and playing skills, but there are a few weak points that prevent this team from being ranked higher. I would not be surprised at all if this team ended up in the finals / winning this tour, but it will depend on what group they place in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)