Unpopular opinions

Cresselia~~

Junichi Masuda likes this!!
To be honest Giovanni always felt like the most "realistic" of the criminal bosses. Modelled significantly on James Bond's Blofeld (right down to having an evil cat!) he seems at the top of a very wide-ranging and deep-rooted criminal web. He doesn't really need an evil plan, he's just evil because he loves to be evil. Compare later generations of criminal gangs, who are more ideological, and convinced that they are the good guys - which would be fine if they actually had believable motivations. But for the most part, they don't.
I personally think that Giovanni is the only one that makes sense.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Unpopular Opinions:
1. I still care about Pokemon Conquest.

Team Magma isn't evil because finally Hoenn can be connected to other regions and Luvdiscs can die off(like they should.)

Team Flare isn't bland af.
1. I didn't really care that much Conquest. I just found it a bit too limiting or not making sense in context with Pokemon. Like I'm sure what I found odd is due to mechanics for Nobunaga's Ambition, but when you add in the Pokemon element I feel they maybe needed to change how things worked a little. My main confusion is with Pokemon only using one move, how every move you do takes a month's time, and I kind of find the recruitment requirements to be a bit out there (what, beating you/your leader isn't proof enough you should follow me?). Not that I would complain if they make Conquest 2, I just won't be picking it up.

2. Honestly I do find Team Magma's plan actually make some sense in certain aspects. What they basically want to do is create more land so that people (specifically the people of Hoenn) have more room to develop on like more homes for people to live in or farmland to grow food and other crops. Of course the problem with their plan is that they want to turn most of the planet into land (which would result the planet and most like on it dying from dehydration) and how for some reason they think this would effect all Pokemon negatively when it'll only be the aquatic Pokemon who gets the short end of the stick.
Speaking of which I don't understand why they tried pushing that shtick of Team Magma being for humans and Team Aqua being for Pokemon. It honestly wasn't needed and felt only added because they somehow had to have the villain's goal specifically involve and affect Pokemon. Like Aqua isn't for all Pokemon, especially for those Pokemon who are WEAK TO WATER. If they REALLY wanted to push a Pokemon angle they could have had Team Magma point out that Pokemon that live on land have much more diversity while Team Aqua can stick with the idea that since life started in the water the aquatic Pokemon are the closest to being the origin source and thus where new Pokemon life can come from. There, I tied back the themes of Pokemon with Magma's and Aqua's goals and it makes sense.

3. Team Flare wasn't bland, I found them amusing enough, it's just felt they were being lead by the wrong kind of leader who's goal didn't quite match with their personality. Team Flare act self-important and better than everyone else while Lysandre wants to preserve the human race and planet's beauty from the selfish; basically Team Flare are the people you'd think Lysandre would want to be getting rid of. Now I'm not saying there isn't some crossing in their themes, Lysandre is very much a hypocrite and Team Flare would have no problem killing off those they consider inferior, but at the same time I just see there being theme clashing as well.

To be honest Giovanni always felt like the most "realistic" of the criminal bosses. Modelled significantly on James Bond's Blofeld (right down to having an evil cat!) he seems at the top of a very wide-ranging and deep-rooted criminal web. He doesn't really need an evil plan, he's just evil because he loves to be evil. Compare later generations of criminal gangs, who are more ideological, and convinced that they are the good guys - which would be fine if they actually had believable motivations. But for the most part, they don't.
I don't think Giovann is evil for evil sake but rather he probably just sees himself as a businessman. We don't know much about his life (the anime gives him a backstory that he didn't have the best childhood since his mother was the original boss of Team Rocket and considered her son as a "brat" so unassumingly that gave him some psychosis like maybe an inferiority complex which would explain why he so desperately wants to prove he's the best and have power and doesn't care how he does it) so who knows how he ended up leading Team Rocket or his reasons. What we know is that he doesn't really care who gets in his way or gets hurt as long as he gets what he wants. He also easily breaks down upon not being able to prove himself the better trainer, an honestly trivial thing for a crime boss to concern himself with let alone disband his organization for.

Giovanni is awesome. But then again, that opinion seems to be decently popular in this thread, so...

The way Missingno was handled was, to put it simply, godawful. Personally, I want Missingno back in Gen 7, with a full evolution. Not a mega, just an evolution. Also, the way a lot of the fandom handles it is disgraceful (I'M LOOKING AT YOU, LINKIRA). As for how I think it should have been handled? Well, just for a taste of how it could have been, if a bit meta for my taste, can be found at http://www.thepokemontower.com/authors/missingno.shtml, in "A Lone Missingno.", which was pretty much my childhood. Warning: May be 2awesome4u

Ever heard of Marin? You didn't? Well, Marin was fan-made and won a contest to design, and I quote, "Pikachu's Friend". Also, it looks adorable and ALSO needs to be in Gen 7.

The entire Pikachu family deserves better. As in, "Make Pikachu stronger than its clones and Raichu even stronger, probably at 445 and 550 BST respectively" better. I mean seriously, the mascot needs a serious buff.

Tynamo is adorable and deserves a cuter evolution. Maybe a branch evo?

List of signature moves that need to be better, Freeze Shock, Ice Burn, Oblivion Wing, Volt Tackle, Bonemerang, Shadow Force, and Roar of Time. None of them are that great, and the bold moves are completely unusable.

Back to actual opinions, the games with Shadow Pokémon are excellent, and we need an updated one for Gen 6 or Gen 7.

Really, none of the games are bad (except Channel). Gen 5 still wasn't great, though.

Reactions: JES
The way Missingno was handled was, to put it simply, godawful. Personally, I want Missingno back in Gen 7, with a full evolution. Not a mega, just an evolution.
Missingno was a glitch - while I agree that it has entered the series' folklore, that isn't a reason to bring it back considering its presence doesn't enhance the gameplay. In any case, I've seen the theory put forward that many aspects of Deoxys - its orange/blue colouration, Eldritch abomination appearance, extreme stat distributions, and the fact that in the Emerald event you must go through an extremely specific set of seemingly random instructions to find it - are callbacks to Missingno. So they didn't wipe it from the series entirely.

Uhh here's a few more unpopular opinions.
  • I'm really sure that someone else said the same thing before but I despise both Charizard and Mewtwo. While I get that they're popular I never liked the fact that they had to get two mega stones each.
  • Speaking of mega stones, I dislike the concept of mega evolution. Not sure if I really want to explain but I'll try anyway...I think it just leaves a lot of Pokémon in the dirt. Sure some become more popular than they were before (i.e Glalie) but so many more are just left behind to rot.
  • I don't like any of the Kanto starters or their evolutionary lines.
  • The B/W Pokémon animations look kind of weird.
  • I think Team Flare is okay; I dislike Team Rocket.
Not sure if I should have just added these to my earlier comment but if I should have then I can do it lol.

The way Missingno was handled was, to put it simply, godawful. Personally, I want Missingno back in Gen 7, with a full evolution. Not a mega, just an evolution. Also, the way a lot of the fandom handles it is disgraceful (I'M LOOKING AT YOU, LINKIRA). As for how I think it should have been handled? Well, just for a taste of how it could have been, if a bit meta for my taste, can be found at http://www.thepokemontower.com/authors/missingno.shtml, in "A Lone Missingno.", which was pretty much my childhood. Warning: May be 2awesome4u
List of signature moves that need to be better, Freeze Shock, Ice Burn, Oblivion Wing, Volt Tackle, Bonemerang, Shadow Force, and Roar of Time. None of them are that great, and the bold moves are completely unusable.
Missingno. is a glitch. It was never intentional so getting upset that it never came back is silly.
Also, it's Linkara. And I loved how he handled Missingno., especially since I didn't see it coming.
Also, Oblivion Wing is a good move (it's a more powerful Flying-type version of Giga Drain and that is a popular Grass STAB) and is actually on the suggestion sets here on Smogon. And while I don't personally like recoil moves, Volt Tackle is far from bad. I mean, it is an Electric version of Flare Blitz and that's a powerful move that is commonly used.

Plus Shadow Force is usable STAB assuming you avoid Normal Types. There aren't many strong physical ghost attacks and considering you completely avoid damage the turn you use it (beside residuals) and can hit through Protect it isn't too bad.

Bonemerang is pretty much like a two-hit Earthquake. It's like Gear Grind. It would have been really neat to use it if they gave Marowak Technician for its ability, but they just didn't and that's sad.

Pretty much the worst part of Volt Tackle was that the Pokemon that would use it has so low HP that you're practically KOing yourself when you use it.

Oblivion Wing is just awesome. Not only is it a Flying-type Giga Drain, it is slightly higher power and restores about an extra 1/4 HP.

Rest I'll agree on.

Last edited:
Bonemerang is pretty much like a two-hit Earthquake. It's like Gear Grind. It would have been really neat to use it if they gave Marowak Technician for its ability, but they just didn't and that's sad.
The thing is about Bonemerang is that it has imperfect accuracy - 90 - which is the final nail in the coffin to just never use it. It has practically no advantages over Earthquake having the same power and lower accuracy; sashes and sturdy being so rare. I'd love to see it buffed to like, 60 power a hit and 100% accuracy in order to have an actual reason to use it. As someone who loves Marowak and used it a ton in Leafgreen, I know the pain of Bonemerang all too well...

I've always liked Raichu better than Pikachu, honestly. It's a shame it got so overshadowed, to the point that it can't even use the Light Ball for some reason.

Unpopular Opinions:
I still care about Pokemon Conquest.
I liked Pokemon Conquest, but it had some glaring balance issues. If they ever make another one, they need to allow Pokemon to have multiple moves so you don't get situations where a warlord's best partner has a garbage move that makes it difficult to use.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
The thing is about Bonemerang is that it has imperfect accuracy - 90 - which is the final nail in the coffin to just never use it. It has practically no advantages over Earthquake having the same power and lower accuracy; sashes and sturdy being so rare. I'd love to see it buffed to like, 60 power a hit and 100% accuracy in order to have an actual reason to use it. As someone who loves Marowak and used it a ton in Leafgreen, I know the pain of Bonemerang all too well...
You can say that about most multi-hitting moves like Bonemerang. Double Hit, Double Kick, Dual Chop, Gear Grind, Twineedle, and Triple Kick are honestly all too weak (and most with imperfect accuracy) to be chosen above another move. They're relying on the double (triple for Triple Kick) hitting gimmick as a way to bypass sashes and Sturdy but it honestly doesn't work considering all the other negatives they put on the move. I can suggest all sort of improvements but that'll be on the line of wishlisting so I would agree they all need to be improved, ESPECIALLY if they're a signature move. Same goes for some of the multi-hitting moves that can hit up to 5 times (I would even argue some could also use a re-typing).

It's a shame it got so overshadowed, to the point that it can't even use the Light Ball for some reason.
I can sort of understand that, it's to make the series mascot maybe a bit as useful as its evolution (think of it as an offensive version of Eviolite but only for Pikachu). As I said, they could make it up to Raichu with a Mega Evolution.

Reactions: JES
Breaking Substitutes too. It could use a buff in accuracy but eh. That's why I said it would have been great if Marowak had Technician as an ability.

I don't know for certain if this is unpopular, but I've seen how they plan to release the new shiny legendaries in Japan, and I assume the other parts of Nintendo will do so with the other parts of the world eventually.
I don't like how they are at Lv.100. I feel that there is no point in going out and playing with them if they've pretty much reached their full potential. It isn't as fun when they are at Lv.100, and there is no raising to do, and it also makes it harder to bond with them IMO. If it were up to me, they'd be no higher than Lv. 50.

I don't know for certain if this is unpopular, but I've seen how they plan to release the new shiny legendaries in Japan, and I assume the other parts of Nintendo will do so with the other parts of the world eventually.
I don't like how they are at Lv.100. I feel that there is no point in going out and playing with them if they've pretty much reached their full potential. It isn't as fun when they are at Lv.100, and there is no raising to do, and it also makes it harder to bond with them IMO. If it were up to me, they'd be no higher than Lv. 50.
I have to agree here, it kind of defeats the purpose ingame.

I think the idea is that they're "Battle Ready" for kids to use - it means they don't have to train them up and can use their super cool awesome (... hah.) shiny legendaries against their friends.
I mean yeah we all know battle ready means good IVs, Natures, EV and Move spreads but let's face it to kids battle ready just means level 100 and maybe a few tms

I think the recent generation of games have been a lazy copout as far as content goes. As far as the meta goes, Megas shouldn't have happened. And if they were going to add Megas no matter what, at least balance it so that Mega Kangaskhan doesn't become the center of every ruleset it's allowed in. This gen as a whole so far has been shit.

I think Lucario's popularity was part of GameFreak forcing it on the fanbase. He got his own movie, and he's not even a legendary Pokemon. The highest rank in one of the PMD games is 'Lucario Rank'. There is a statue of him in XY. And I'm sure there's more I missed.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
I think Lucario's popularity was part of GameFreak forcing it on the fanbase. He got his own movie, and he's not even a legendary Pokemon. The highest rank in one of the PMD games is 'Lucario Rank'. There is a statue of him in XY. And I'm sure there's more I missed.
I'm also curious how manufactured Lucario's popularity is. Now I think Lucario would be pretty popular no matter what as it's a decent offensive Pokemon, but had it not have such a big push? Of course they tried the same thing with Zoroark but that didn't quite work (either because Zoroark proved to be a bit too frailer than Lucario and/or by now people knew they were being pushed upon so rebelled against it).

BTW other example of Lucario being pushed is in the Pokemon Ranger series which had a special Riolu giveaway (accompanied by an anime episode advertising it that should have ended with Ash getting it), later in the Best Wished anime having Cameron's Riolu beat Pokemon it should have and then evolving to curbstomp Ash in the Unova League, "Welfare Lucario" being the first Pokemon we Mega Evolve in the games, and finally Lucario being shown in both the sneak peak teaser and official trailer for Pokken Tournament.

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
I think Zoroark didn't catch on because of its "edgy" design being a blatant cry of popularity whoring, combined with the fact that the only way to get it in BW was by transferring the Event Shiny Legendary Beasts or that one Celebi.

Lucario's cool, but there's definitely been a backlash from constant pushing. Oh, and you guys forgot its inclusion in Smash (not that I minded that either, in fact I found its gimmick of getting stronger as it took damage pretty neat).
You forgot to mention Luke is one of the few characters in brawl with a skillset that straight up destroys MK and snake, heck you only need 28% damage to spike MK down final destination without a chance of control response with air down b wich has one of the smallest frame count activation nor Luka up b tatami animation cancel trick screwing up wave dashing of MK and snake. Never understood why people saw him ss gimmicky.

ANYWAY, the point is, I don't really pay that much attention to what the makers hype. I like what I like, and if it happens to coincide with what GF or anybody else wants me to like, well, so be it. And that's the way things should be.

What sucks is the backlash. I honestly feel like "Pikachu is cute" might qualify as an unpopular opinion in some parts of the fandom.

(It totally is, by the way, and I actually found it pretty useful when I used it in Kanto.)

I actually unironically like Pikachu. I'll admit that Pikachu is oversaturated (you can't find a generic Pokemon thing without that rodent) but the electric type is my favorite and, honestly, out of all available electric types, Pikachu is the only one that really does scream out "Mascot!" So, I appreciate it.

Also, honestly, if Pokemon were real, due to it being a member of my favorite type, relatively docile, and weak enough to be used for daily necessities, Pikachu would be my top pick.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 5)