Battle of the Week: UU Edition! (Resumes after SPL)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Euphonos

inanod ng mga luha; damdamin ay lumaya.
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnus
Me along with the circle of accomplished UU people... It gives me a very tough time to decide; all other nominees deserve to partake in this endeavor, not gonna lie.

Regardless of the outcome, I will be very happy either not to be picked by the rest of the Underused Community or to face any of these four guys. Ultimately, I choose Omfuga among everyone else because I believe he will give the greatest challenge to anyone he faces; even I could attest to it.

Cheers to my 400th post, lol.

Last edited:

Euphonos

inanod ng mga luha; damdamin ay lumaya.
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnus
Defeated Omfuga in three intense, nerve-wracking yet awesome games. Omfuga, please do tell me of your game plan, strategy, and what not, regarding our series, and I'll share my own too.

GAME 1: WIN. Replay here.
TEAM COMPOSITION: The team Omfuga brought is somehow reminiscent of the team he brought me to defeat TewMew for one of those Live Tours. What made me recognize that build is the unique Stall-Breaking Mega Aerodactyl set and Aromatisse. I, on the other hand, brought a Bulky Offense team containing Delphox whose set is inspired after the sets I run on Heracross and Empoleon recently.
GAME PLAN: My game plan for this team is to identify which of Omfuga's team would stop the potential Delphox sweep (in this case: Aerodactyl and Feraligatr). Once these Pokemon are out, I let Delphox switch in on Omfuga's Aromatisse and start setting up Calm Minds from there.
GAME HIGHLIGHTS:

Turn 11: I made a very bold move by staying Pangoro in on Omfuga's Cobalion that effectively rendered it useless for the rest of the match by being KO'd by Pangoro's Drain Punch and the Stealth Rock Cobalion laid during that turn was then Defogged by Zapdos some turns after.
Turns 18 to 20: These are the turns where I figured out that Omfuga's Mega Aerodactyl set is a unique Stallbreaker he patented; therefore I can manage to use Zapdos to scare that Aerodactyl out.
Turns 29 to 32: Feraligatr set up Swords Dance which started me to panic; at least my Seismitoad is healthy enough to take on boosted Crunches. After his Feraligatr got to +6 thanks to Swords Dance, I ultimately decided to sacrifice Florges because I have other options in defeating Mandibuzz among other Pokemon (while I didn't realize that I "need" Florges for those Wish passes Doublade needs).
Turn 57: Aerodactyl was already worn down in that turn thanks to Zapdos; that consequently triggered me to finally capitalize on Delphox's biggest role against the rest of his team.
Turns 60 to 61: The first Fire Blast missed against Mandibuzz that would've given substantial damage to it after a Calm Mind. The second Fire Blast, however, managed to pull off a critical hit (now that is already Blaze-boosted thanks to Mandibuzz's Foul Play) that sealed the game for me.

GAME 2: LOSS. Replay here.
TEAM COMPOSITION: Omfuga brought a team with a more offensive build with a hint of Blissey to sponge any Special Attack aimed at any of her teammates, while I brought a team that more people got intrigued nowadays: Magic Room Uxie and Hone Claws Salamence with Choice Scarf. Shoutout to TheOhaiGuy for bringing up that concept.
GAME PLAN: My game plan is to draw Steel-types for either Magneton (mainly) or Krookodile to break through. After those Steel-types being eliminated, it is the time when Uxie uses Magic Room for an upcoming Scarf Salamence sweep with Hone Claws and Dragon Rush.

GAME HIGHLIGHTS:
Turn 7: My Tentacruel has made serious work early in the game, and this turn ended to be one of the most pivotal parts of the game (though its work got wasted after the second time Cobalion got Stealth Rock on). I made a bold move to stay Tentacruel and let it survive a Leaf Storm (as he anticipated a switch from my Krookodile) and spin its Stealth Rock away.
Turn 12: I didn't realize until now that I could use Stealth Rock against Cobalion who just stayed in after his Doublade got KO'd by Pursuit. The implication would be huge if that happened; besides, Cobalion's Close Combat would not KO Krookodile as it was burned by Tentacruel's Scald beforehand.
Turn 14: I anticipated a switch from Nidoking to Rotom-Mow, thinking I would use Earthquake against him. Therefore, this is the start of the turn I screwed Uxie's Magic Room turns because I didn't manage to switch Salamence in on the right timing.
Turn 19: I set Magic Room up from Uxie, once again, and Nidoking got substantially weakened to Dragon Rush range by Salamence. Omfuga, for some reason, switched Nidoking out to Rotom-Mow to take a Dragon Rush, which consequently gave me time to set up Hone Claws.
Turn 24: He managed to pull off Protect twice from Sharpedo that sealed the game for him.

GAME 3: WIN. Replay here.
TEAM COMPOSITION: While Omfuga brought the offense team characterized by the core recognized by most people through Porygon2 and Gligar, I brought a team that Christo The Gr8 considered odd, as it is a Balanced team containing a near-indestructible Alomomola + Mega Steelix core and two win conditions: one being the most trusted Curse Snorlax and the other being the most potent weapons I wanted to build around: Substitute + Disable Venomoth.
GAME PLAN: My initial game plan is to have an opportune time to switch Venomoth in and start sweeping. However, as Venomoth was taken down quite early after realizing his Feraligatr has Aqua Jet, it has changed to a more conservative mode of play: to eliminate Cobalion for Snorlax to come in and set up Curse from there.

GAME HIGHLIGHTS:
Turn 11: I had this gut feeling that his Feraligatr runs Aqua Jet that took down Venomoth early. Nonetheless, initial damage has been done from Venomoth after only one Quiver Dance.
Turn 26: Omfuga got caught off guard with Zapdos, to think that my Zapdos is still at max HP. He may be thinking about my Zapdos having a Choice set, thus his Rotom-Mow got plowed with Heat Wave after being damaged by Thunderbolt on the switch-in.
Turn 30: Omfuga, for some reason, let Cobalion succumb to Thunderbolt after using Stealth Rock, only to be Defogged a turn afterward. This triggered me to play Snorlax to its strengths.

Regardless of the outcome of these sets, I would like to thank the Underused Community for the overwhelming support you guys have for me this week. I guess you guys are so happy to see me battle, and I tried my very best to fulfill my pleasure of playing Omfuga and to make your experience, as witnesses of the spectacle, more meaningful through these battles. Speaking of overwhelming support, I would give a shoutout to R0ady for being the one of the most, if not the most, supportive among them all. He kept on nominating me every single week, and I feel he will experience happiness the most for making that dream come true after several weeks of fervent prayers.

I would also like to thank Christo The Gr8 for hosting this Battle of the Week; hope it would continue until the next generation. Keep contributing more for the better of the Underused Community! I am looking forward to battle with you again, and again, and again, and again... XD

No words would ever express my gratefulness to Hogg after initiating the Iron Chef project in the UU Subforum. Thank you for bringing some ideas up that helped me flourish my team building skills; if it weren't for that project, I would be a washed-up, one-dimensional trainer that I was before.

To King UU, thank you for the trust you brought me since Day 1 of the UUPL. I learned a valuable lesson from you about slowing myself down and think of numerous implications after pulling such moves, though I still sometimes "choke" out of lack of attention, hehe.

Last edited:
Congrats Euphonos for winning Week 4 of BOTW! Thank you for the well constructed analysis.

Week 5 has begun! Nominate 3 users you want to see battle the most. Refer to the OP to see who not to vote for.

My noms:
Hogg
teal6
JeyTheGrey

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)