Traveling back in time to 5 years ago - a retro giveaway...with a twist.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alright, boys and girls - it's been nearly a year since I've done a giveaway and I shall start one right away! But first off, this giveaway is quite different compared to the typical giveaways you see here. In addition, the prizes here involve retro RNG'd mons I've done back in 2010 and 2011. The theme for the giveaway revolves around retro 3rd to 5th gen.

To any of you that have played Pokemon XD, I'm sure many of you are familiar with the Battle CD's. Except, we will transition that idea into 6th gen, and the objective of the giveaway is to come up with well thought-out trivia questions that provide at least a realistic answer or two. But first off, allow me to list a disclaimer here (basically copied and pasted from my previous giveaway thread):

I technically retired in May 2012 and left my successor in charge of my Pokemon cartridges. He doesn't trade whatsoever, so don't go bothering him. Given the fact that I no longer own a DS or a 3DS, that doesn't mean I no longer own any Pokemon - I still have my own reserves since the day I retired. Which means this - I cannot be a distributor in my own giveaway for obvious reasons. In addition, my knowledge is outdated, and I am not too savvy about 6th gen competition.

Which means, we have Skymin_Flower who will assist us with this giveaway. As much as I tried to find a second distributor, well...I guess if anything...but anyway, all winners will report to this distributor (do not report to me, I have no cartridge, and there's nothing I can do about that).

As for the prizes of this giveaway:

Nature: Quiet
Ability: Flash Fire
EV's: None
IV’s: 30/31/30/30/31/3 [HP Grass 60]
OT: Oblivia (Lord Scalgon) || ID: 03060
Special Move: Eruption
Semi-Redistributable. (You can redistribute; others can not)
Cloned via Pokesav Method

IV’s: 31/31/31/31/31/2 [HP Ice 60]

IV’s: 31/31/31/30/31/3 [HP Electric 60]

To anyone unfamiliar, this was the Eruption Heatran in which I was the first one in Smogon to distribute back in 2010. Heatran can only learn Eruption in Pokemon Ranger: Guardian Signs and must be Quiet nature.

Nature: Naive
Ability: Pressure
IV’s: 31/31/31/31/31/31
OT:
Oblivia (Lord Scalgon) || ID: 03060
Fully Redistributable.

Also from Pokemon Ranger: Guardian Signs, I was the first person to distribute this type of Deoxys with flawless IV's on Smogon, albeit not the first one to distribute this (I forget the name, but he was the first to distribute one, but the IV's were pretty random). Sadly, there was a past incident involving this (don't remember if that guy was blacklisted), thus resulting in being a fully redistributable mon.

Last, but not least, two lucky winners will receive in addition to their prize:

Nature: Bold
Ability: Hydration
IV’s: 30/18/31/30/31/30 [HP Fire 60]
OT: Masters (Lord Scalgon) || ID: 37727

I don't know if this still is the only shiny bold Manaphy on Smogon (since I could be wrong), but this was one of the greatest accomplishments back in the days I've traded here. A majority I've encountered back then were Timid/Modest...just don't know about Bold.

15 winners will receive a Heatran with a hidden power of their choice.
5 lucky Heatran winners will receive an additional Deoxys.
2 of the 15 (super) lucky winners will receive an additional shiny bold Manaphy.
1 of the Heatran winners will receive all variants.

Now onto the giveaway - the backstory is, I have real life friends that want to get into 6th gen competitive battling, but the problem is, their battling potential isn't that great, and in order to improve themselves, I need to come up with realistic scenarios they may encounter, especially when it comes to competitive tournaments and VGC tournaments. With the Battle CD from Pokemon XD as a form of the main idea of this giveaway, your objective is to come up with a realistic and well-thought out 6th gen competitive battling trivia question that has at least a realistic answer (two is only acceptable if the question is realistic enough), and make sure you also type the given answer, too. You are free to edit in case you make a mistake - I don't judge until the end of the competition anyway.

The best realistic questions that involve thinking outside the box will have the best chances of winning. So please, play smart.

I will provide a few samples here so anyone can answer. These are for fun and can be answered in public; no prizes will be awarded for this, but it's just an idea.

Skarmory vs. 1,000,000 Shedinja (that's right, 1,000,000)

You know having a single flying move won't do the job even in the long run, but there is a realistic alternative that can potentially wipe down this gigantic army with only two moves.

Conditions: Defeat 1,000,000 Shedinja within two turns.

What are the two moves that are necessary to dominating quality over quantity? (may be more than one answer)

Swampert vs. Houndoom

Sunny Day is currently in effect. You currently have the type advantage in terms of typing.

However, you don't know the last two moves of Houndoom. What you know so far is:

Houndoom@Lum Berry
Fire Blast
Sunny Day
???
???

Your Swampert's moveset:
Swampert@Leftovers
Waterfall
Earthquake
Curse
Rest

Condition: Survive against Houndoom. An attempted KO may or may not be necessary depending on the situation.

It just seems so tempting, but you might be thinking otherwise. What will be the best course of action from this point on?

Swinub vs. [Hacked] Charmander

OH HEY LOOK, CHARMANDER HAS HACKED STATS AND A HACKED MOVESET. Apparently, you're about to win a battle against someone so salty he decides to whip out a hacked Charmander. Fortunately, on a more positive note, at least this hacker doesn't have Extremespeed (or any form of a first-turn move) on his hacked Charmander. Even better, it does not appear to hold Leftovers, either. Typical competitive types won't stand a chance against it, but there actually is a legitimate way to taking down this hacked Charmander. How would you do this?

Charmander@??? (at least there is no Focus Band or Sash)
Sacred Fire
Aura Sphere
Dazzling Gleam
Steam Eruption
Condition: You know this Charmander is hacked. You know the player is salty. Just because it has a 999 speed stat (as well as its other stats) doesn't mean it's impossible. But there is a way - but the question is how.

Make sure you also type your answer along with your contributed question. You have 48 hours from the start of the giveaway to submit. Anyway, best of luck, everyone! At times, I may edit this post to make any necessary changes.

EDIT: Due to a lack of participants, this will affect the prize system. Worse comes to worse, I'll have to come up with an alternate prize system in an event this happens.

(EDIT 2: Extending the giveaway to Tuesday 12:00pm PST due to lack of participants. If the result ends up nearly the same, then I'll have to come up with an alternate prize layout. Apologies for the inconvenience.)

Last edited:
Nice GA man!

Don't quite understand your second public question, I'm assuming you want to use Endure/Protect until Houndoom dies from Solar Power?
Otherwise Skarm needs SR-Whirlwind/Roar and Piloswine wins with endeavor/Ice Shard. EDIT: dunno why I read Piloswine as the mon to take him down. Hmm, Sturdy Bastiodon with Metal Burst ftw then

Now onto my question

Typically M-Sableye is hard to take down with a Stall team, however a simple Cresselia set can beat him without the need of Dazzling Geam. Assume M-Sableye's set is not CM.
Condition: Come up with a Cresselia set that beats utility M-Sableye 1 on 1

Bulky Cress (252 HP EVs + Moonlight) with Skill Swap and Toxic ruins M-Sableye

Last edited:
Skarmory vs 1 million shedinjas... Skarmory sets up sandstorm on first turn and second turn wipes out all shedinjas.

Question: You are in a fight with a bold multiscale lugia 252 evs in defense and hp, with moves: roost, calm mind, ice beam and whirlwind, and leftovers item. Come up with ways you can defeat lugia preferably in less than two turns. Lugia will always use whirlwind on second turn.

Last edited:
Yeah, but if it's a horde battle you can technically knock off more than one at a time with a single move, which is sandstorm. And the question doesn't state if you are fighting them all at once, which is the scenario I'm envisioning. There's no way you can carry 1 million shedinjas if you could only hold 6 max.

Alternatively, you could have set up stealth rock and have a weak but max pp flying type move (peck).

Last edited:
Yeah, but if it's a horde battle you can technically knock off more than one at a time with a single move, which is sandstorm. And the question doesn't state if you are fighting them all at once, which is the scenario I'm envisioning. There's no way you can carry 1 million shedinjas if you could only hold 6 max.
How are you even going to survive the first turn if you have to take one Million attacks?

The scenario doesn't say that shedinjas are attacking, just to find a way for skarmory to kill a million shedinjas using two moves. Plus if you are attacking them one by one then all you need to do is set up stealth rock, kill the first shedinja with peck and watch them faint as they come one by one.

Ok, I reread the scenario and it says defeat a million shedinjas in two turns. So my answer involving sandstorm works. Throw in a multihit move like rock slide for the second move.

Last edited:
Just out of curiosity, is the answer for the first scenario:
Turn 1: Setting up stealth rock
Turn 2: Using whirlwind so that each Shedninja is killed and it still stays on turn 2.

Question 1 answer: I guess setting up hazards is enough to kill the shedinjas unless they are all out on the field then skarmory would need some sort of stab to kill them(arial ace etc)
Second question answer: Im assuming if houndoom sets up sun survives with a sash and uses solar beam wins...one sec
252+ SpA Houndoom Solar Beam vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Swampert: 396-468 (98 - 115.8%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO
Well if swampert is this bulky then its a roll...
4 Atk Swampert Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Houndoom: 404-476 (138.8 - 163.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
Either way if swamper lives he wins.
Oh wait houndoom is holding a lum...ok its dead pretty much even if you make a defensive build the only way is to hold a sash.
I donk know what other moves houndoom could have that can save his life tbh.
Question 3 answer:I doubt the hacker invested anything in defence and hp so to be safe not knowing how much he buffed its offence and speed, hold a focus sash and proceed to use earthquake...I think..
252 Atk Swinub Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Charmander: 30-36 (150 - 180%) -- guaranteed OHKO
Assuming he has 252 in every stat swinub would still win
252 Atk Swinub Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Charmander: 24-30 (104.3 - 130.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO
And ofc if charmander has a sash use ice shard to finish.

Skarmory vs 1 million shedinjas... Skarmory sets up sandstorm on first turn and second turn wipes out all shedinjas.

Question: You are in a fight with a bold multiscale lugia 252 evs in defense and hp, with moves: roost, calm mind, ice beam and whirlwind, and leftovers item. Come up with ways you can defeat lugia preferably in less than two turns. Lugia will always use whirlwind on second turn.
froslass -modest nature 252 spatk first turn ice beam second turn taunt >ice beam
bannette 0ivs hp first turn taunt second turn destiny bond

I'm thinking about the second question. We don't know if Houndoom carries Solar Beam or not, and we don't know how many turns of sun are left (we probably should keep track of that).

Say he doesn't have solar beam (or HP grass). You win regardless - there's no way of him beating you given the common moves a houndoom would know. Earthquake wins the game. The only bad scenario is if you rest and he crits twice with his Dark type move.

Say he does have a grass type move. If it OHKOs you, you lose, regardless of what you do. So we have to work under the assumption that either he doesn't have it or it wont KO you, and ideally you'd find a plan where you win regardless of what occurs.

We don't know how long the sun will stay up. If we were to rest, best case scenario the sun runs out after this turn and we survive a solar beam with 1HP. However, he can set up Sunny Day and keep Solar beaming an we can't win even if the sun is about to run out. As such, if we were to survive a Solar Beam, rest wouldn't help us. Neither would curse, and waterfall is weakened, so you have to use Earthquake regardless of what the last two moves are.

As for the other two scenarios, the first one has been answered. Roar + SR wins the game. Because the Charmanders have a hacked HP stat, unless you have something with over 500 HP, counter/mirror coat isn't going to help. As such, you need FEAR! Focus Sash rattata takes a hit and uses endaevor, and then quick attack to KO after it has 1 HP. A smart battler would use Sacred Fire and hope for a burn, but that means that you keep a 50/50 shot of winning. Aron has the same problem - you need to set up Sand, and you can't get the second sturdy if you get burned. You need something immune to burn and that can pull off FEAR - Chimchar!

Chimchar @ Focus Sash
- Endeavor
- Vacuum Wave

As for my question... I'll think of something tonight, probably.

edit: For my questions, I was thinking less of rare scenarios and more of things you could actually come across in battle.

Question 1: Both you and your opponent lead with Kangaskhan. Yours in max-speed jolly. Both of you mega evolve turn 1, and you use Fake out to flinch your opponent's Kangaskhan. Your opponent flinches, but you know your opponent's Kang is also max-speed jolly. How?

Answer:
Because your opponent Mega-evolved before you did

Question 2: You are going to run Zoroark on your team. Why should you breed it in an ultra-ball?

Answer:
The event Zoroark that has Sludge Bomb is in an ultra ball. While your bred Zoroark cannot have Sludge Bomb on it, if your opponent sees a Zoroark with any other ball, they will know it doesn't have Sludge Bomb on it.

Question 3:It is often said that in VGC matches, you shouldn't mega-evolve your Charizard-Y on a turn you use protect. Why? In what situations might it be worth it to mega-evolve and protect?

Answer:

You lose a turn of sun that you would otherwise get to use. You don't gain any speed mega-evolving either. Reasons to Mega-evolve include shutting off a different weather/creating sun to effect how strong attacks are that turn, effecting the speed of pokemon with clorophyll/sand rush/swift swim, and if you know you have to switch out without attacking and the sun benefits your team during the next 5 turns.

Last edited:
Interesting giveaway! Thanks in advance :)
Here is my question: You are facing off against a diglett that only knows dig, but it is faster than your pokemon. Assuming that you are on 1hp and diglett is at 50% (both pokemon are around level 50), what pokemon would you use and how would you overcome this speed disadvantage to defeat the enemy?
(Bonus: what if no priority moves were allowed?)
(Hint: One of the prize pokemon may have something to do with a possible solution ;) )

Here is my question: You are facing off against a diglett that only knows dig, but it is faster than your pokemon. Assuming that you are on 1hp and diglett is at 50% (both pokemon are around level 50), what pokemon would you use and how would you overcome this speed disadvantage to defeat the enemy?
(Hint: One of the prize pokemon may have something to do with a possible solution ;) )
Four words:
Hidden Power Water Shedinja

Last edited:
any strong earthquake = gg Diglett
OR I use a flying type, I win

You have a Dry Skin Parasect that has no offensive moves. Your opponent has a Heatran that is choice-locked into Eruption with 7 PP left and it outspeeds your Parasect.
Both Pokémon are at full health and the field conditions are completely neutral (no weather, no Water Sport, no Tailwind, no Trick Room, no screens, no nothing).
Neither Pokémon has any stat boosts or drops.

How could you possibly win this?

Focus Sash Parasect with Leech Seed and Wide Guard
Odds of you winning: 90% (Leech Seed could miss)

Last edited:
This is not for the beginner:

Imagine playing Yosuke Isagi, one of the best trainers in the world, in a VGC match. He plays smart, and it comes down to your Gardevoir vs his Kangaskhan, both at full HP. They both hold their mega stones, and may or may not have mega evolved. Kangaskhan has a standard set of Fake Out/Return/Low Kick/Sucker Punch. His adamant Kangaskhan is bulky enough to survive a critical hit from your strongest attack (Hyper Voice), while it easily KOs you in return with - well, Return. Little does he know that you're about pull a trick out of your sleeve that makes you win the game 100% of the time.

Some numbers:
- Sucker Punch KOs with a critical hit
- Low Kick 5HKOs assuming every hit is a critical hit
- Hyper voice KOs in 3 hits
- Gardevoir's base speed is 80 (Changes to 100 in Mega forme).
- Kangaskhan's base speed is 90 (Changes to 100 in Mega forme).

Condition: Come up with a Gardevoir that defeats Yosuke Isagi's Kangaskhan every time.
Timid Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Protect
- Disable
- Encore

I will add full explanation tomorrow.

--------------------
Turn 1: Stealth Rocks / Spikes
Turn 2: Whirlwind

They are KO'd, one by one, before the 3rd turn even starts. :)

Last edited:
Well, now that the giveaway is over, good news and bad news. I'll start off with the bad news:

Bad news: Due to a mediocre turnout and a lack of participants, this will affect the prize layout big time. As a result, there will be no Deoxys or Manaphy winner. I apologize for the inconvenience, but I have to take the best possible approach. On the other hand...the good news.

Good news: Regarding winners...as much as I've left without a choice but...everyone who contributed here are winners of a Heatran of their choice, so...congratulations to the following:

locoghoul
Meowmeow
Usernamesarestupid
Nelson_Tangela
Alex Mateia
HydreigonLover
ck49
RawPatty
BarAsu
Paragon189
Artic

Contact Skymin_Flower to redeem your prize. To everyone that participated, I greatly appreciate it!

Well, now that the giveaway is over, good news and bad news. I'll start off with the bad news:

Bad news: Due to a mediocre turnout and a lack of participants, this will affect the prize layout big time. As a result, there will be no Deoxys or Manaphy winner. I apologize for the inconvenience, but I have to take the best possible approach. On the other hand...the good news.

Good news: Regarding winners...as much as I've left without a choice but...everyone who contributed here are winners of a Heatran of their choice, so...congratulations to the following:

locoghoul
Meowmeow
Usernamesarestupid
Nelson_Tangela
Alex Mateia
HydreigonLover
ck49
RawPatty
BarAsu
Paragon189
Artic

Contact Skymin_Flower to redeem your prize. To everyone that participated, I greatly appreciate it!

Thanks for hosting the giveaway :)
Btw, how do you add the answer boxes so they are hidden?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)