pokemon storage system lore

Anyone have any idea about this? I am mainly thinking what kind of environment would it be for the stored pokemon?

I am just wondering, would it be good or bad place for my pokemon to stay... and even if it would be bad, I guess I can get over it, but I just wanna know about it...

in case you wonder what the actual fuck am I babbling about and why this interests me in the first place..

Yes, I know I am good at finding little things that disturb me, or mainly would ruin things for me or making my world more dark and dull place to live in. yes, I do have a relatively mild obsessive compulsive disorder (very little dyskinesia, mainly thoughts, my thing is mainly trying to only feel pain and misery...)

I like pokemon alot, and try to keep it fun and engaging for me... thanks for replies in advance.. ^^

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
We discussed this matter recently in the Mysteries thread. You might want to have a look over there.

EDIT: Wait, it appears not. Give me a minute to find that discussion...

EDIT AGAIN: Ah, now I remember. I think it was an IRC conversation, or maybe somewhere in the Article Workshop. Go ahead, then, this thread is perfectly legit.

Personally, I believe the Pokémon experiencing the Pokémon Storage System like the Matrix (minus the thing with the killer robots). A simulation of a big, friendly world where Pokémon can interact, play and have adventures while all of their bodily needs are ignored. For all we know, the storage system designers could have created the Pokémon idea of heaven.

Or maybe they're just sleeping and dreaming. I guess that from a meta perspective, Pokémon storage is not meant to be a thing for us to think too much about.

Last edited:
Yes, thats a very good point. it is unspecified, and if we take into account how warm place pokemon universe is in the end, I bet if nintendo ver touches the lore more deeply, they come up with something like pokemon matrix, what would be just awesome ^^. and in the end I need to controll my feelings, and in fact, unspecified means I can use my own mind the way I want to. thanks ALOT mate ^_^, I feel happy about this now.... soz typos I am writing this at work... but yea, close this if you like...

My pet theory has always been that when you catch or recall a Pokemon, it's split into two parts: pure energy, which is stored in a battery-like device in the ball itself, and data, which is sent to the cloud. As for what the Pokemon are experiencing while they're boxed, I also believe in a Matrix-like world, except that from the Pokemon's perspective, being inside a Pokeball and being boxed are indistinguishable.

antemortem

is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Socialization Head
I also think of it as something like the Dream World, minus the sleep. Just a digitized location where Pokemon inhabit and coexist until they're called upon. Unfortunately for the HM Slaves, they're kind of stuck there in limbo after the main adventure, aren't they? Aside from that, I can't imagine what further wormholes are technologically feasible for the storage of mons, but then again, anything can happen in such a pseudo-sandbox world as Pokemon. 9.9

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
They're likely turned into data utilizing tech similar (if not identical) to that found in Poke Balls, and put into some sort of suspended animation to bide time (like in Sci-Fi stories with space travel that takes a long-ass time). They then are implanted with fake memories so they can be placated in a digital simulation of a nearby town until they're ready to become whole again.

When I was younger, I literally thought that we were just stuffing our caught Pokemon inside a small computer.

But now, I think that they are just transported to the area the box represents (i.e. Lava, Plains, or Water backgrounds) until the trainer requires them. I always try to make the background of a box hospitable for a type of Pokemon to live in, otherwise I think I am hurting them by placing them in areas that don't suit them. I'm just imagining a Sunkern just chillin with a Mewtwo in some cave, trying to get along with each other.

Just like HelenTheHero, I think it's similar to Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Red/Blue Rescue team (I haven't played onwards, so can't really judge about those). Except in boxes, Rayquaza can hang with Diglett, something that's not possible in Mystery Dungeon. The wallpaper that you use in a certain box will be the kind of 'terrain' the Pokemon are at.

Last edited:
Just like HelenTheHero, I think it's similar to Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Red/Blue Rescue team (I haven't played onwards, so can't really judge about those). Except in boxes, Rayquaza can hang with Diglett, something that's not possible in Mystery Dungeon. The wallpaper that you use in a certain box will be the kind of 'terrain' the Pokemon are at.
If the wallpaper is the actual terrain, I feel bad for throwing a lot of Pokemon in the city one. And what happens in XY With the special Xerneas/Yveltal wallpapers...

well, since this is not specified anywhere, I think I go with the zoo-idea. cos I like it very much ^_^ and its time for me to learn to controll my feelings..

My own theory is that the technology of the world of pokemon has found a way to create pocket dimensions with varying habitats. When capturing a pokemon their thoughts are used to create environments they would prefer and the data gathered helps increase the odds they'd accept the new home as more balls are thrown.

Main reasons for this are my dislike for the theory that they remain in some sort of red energy form and love for this really awesome fan picture someone made of a charmander in a robe reading classical literature in his pokeball.

I've always been a fan of the idea that you're essentially putting them in stasis until you need them. The Pokemon don't really gain any like or dislike of you. Their stats (aside from some Gen 1 and 2 glitches) can't change. Literally when you pull them out it's like nothing at all actually happened with them so it would make sense that they have even less awareness than being in the balls because at least when you call them out, they're aware enough to be ready to fight.

As for the different boxes? I view them as being in different drives of a computer. Considering how complex most life is (hell, we only recently mapped the neural structure of a single type of worm), it would make sense that they take up a lot of space. The modern storage system owner gives all trainers 8 boxes because it costs a lot to buy more and more drives. And he only gives us more when we show that we really need it (though that can easily by foiled with having like less than a box-worth of Pokemon).

I want to mention that in the anime, often times when Ash sends out a Pokemon, it already knows what's going on in its surroundings despite just being stuck in a Pokeball. That being said, I wouldn't be surprised if Pokemon could interact with their sorroundings somehow while inside a Pokeball, even if its just spiritually, as in they can feel whats going on outside.

That being said, putting a Pokemon in the PC could just mean that Pokemon are stored in digital space where they can interact with each other. It wouldn't be surprising considering the technology in the Pokemon world, especially after being introduced to Infinity Energy, which allowed scientists to transport a fucking meteorite from Hoenn to Pokemon Mystery Dungeon...

I understand I'm jumping from the anime to the game, two very distinct worlds, but considering none of this is made clear, I guess it all comes down to imagination.

If it's anything like a pokeball then it is kind of sad. I prefer the idea that the pokemon are sent to a natural reserve like how Prof. Oak takes care of pokemon.

yea I see.. I must say I dislike the idea of pokemon inside empty pokeballs/storage, and I also dont like the idea of stasis. and knowing pokemon and nintendo, I bet its going to be something like virtual awesome space filled with happy things, or something like natural reserve. but I must say, I love the idea of them connecting mentally to things around the pokeballs... but since I can just pick one of these, I go with the pokemon matrix thing with mental connection to pokeballs surroundings.. but thanks for thoughts guys, and mostly thanks for making me understand something so simple as I can decide how I view fictional worlds...

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
I am just wondering, would it be good or bad place for my pokemon to stay... and even if it would be bad, I guess I can get over it, but I just wanna know about it...
Being the PC is an approved tool by the Pokemon League I would assume its at the very least considered safe both physically and mentally for the Pokemon to be sent into it.

Though I guess the question would be whether the Pokemon is in suspended animation or is conscious. Personally I would go with suspended animation but with simulated dreams so they're not bored. As previous posters pointed out you can change the background of the boxes which probably puts them in that type of environment/situation. Hmm, kind of sounds like the player is a D&D Dungeon Master running their Pokemon through adventure campaigns, lol.

My pet theory has always been that when you catch or recall a Pokemon, it's split into two parts: pure energy, which is stored in a battery-like device in the ball itself, and data, which is sent to the cloud. As for what the Pokemon are experiencing while they're boxed, I also believe in a Matrix-like world, except that from the Pokemon's perspective, being inside a Pokeball and being boxed are indistinguishable.
Hmm, I'd think for the most part the Pokemon stays whole, splitting their body and mind kind of sounds morally questionable. When sent into the Pokeball the Pokemon goes through a process of mass turned to energy and than energy into data. So most of the time they're spending their time as a physical being or data, the energy state is just an intermediate form needed to do the transition.

Also, when the Pokemon is traveling with their trainer they perfectly know what's going on, hence why some Pokemon pop out of their Pokeball by themselves (especially in HGSS when big Pokemon would go in and out of their Pokeball depending if there's enough room for them to follow you). So when their with their trainer they're conscious enough to know what's going on (which would also explain why they're always ready for battle). Another factor to remember is that a Pokemon will retain any loss HP & PP and any status ailments it got yet when in the PC is cured of that. That tells me the Pokeball is just a carrying device while the PC is a system meant to take care of the Pokemon as well as store them for trainers.

Yeah. The pokemon have to have some awareness of the world outside the PC /the pokeball while they're inside, and at least some of them can choose whether or not to be in the pokeball. Why? Well, the Eon Flute for one; you can summon your respective Lati from wherever they happen to be at that time, be it PC, Pokeball, (and possibly release/trade/the pokemon storage thing (I forget the name)), whatever. Then there's that one episode in the first Anime where the pokemon refuse to come out of their pokeballs to fight the diglett that are doing...something. I don't remember the details. Then in the anime I believe you also have pokemon refusing to return into the pokeballs, and things like Misty's Psyduck who's always coming out on its own (and IIRC goes into the pokeball of its own free will). Newly captured pokemon might not have the luxury of coming out whenever, but I think for the most part the pokemon can choose whether or not to be in the pokeball. If we assume that's true, then it also stands to reason that the PCs/Pokeballs keep the pokemon comfortable and happy (and fed/watered/whatever), or else they wouldn't choose to stay in all the time. It's not that much of a stretch to assume that if a society can produce machines that shrink a living being into the size of a small ball (which becomes even smaller in the Anime when not in use), teleport them elsewhere, and do all sorts of other things (instant healing, reduction of exhaustion, etc), then the storage devices at least provide comfort. Or if we say that pokemon are turned into data when put into the PC it's also not far-fetched to assume that their consciousnesses/whatever that is in the data is kept comfortable, shouldn't really change much.

It's usually just a thought hidden in the background, but logic is pretty funky whenever it concerns video games. Sure, the limits are pretty much as far as imagination, but for the world of pokemon to be morally sound and possible there are some serious contortions and hoops it needs to go through.

-Is this not super powered dog fighting? Best answers I've seen pretty much acknowledge that's what it is, but dress it in circumstances where it is beneficial/necessary to both trainer and mon.

-This hospital/computer can make a bug good as new after it's been barbecued by a dragon probably capable of melting a building. Said bug didn't die either. It's kinda why I prefer nuzlockes, though even then the instant heal remains. Guess it beats being unable to use your pokemon for a few days.

-Doduo learns fly.

It's fun trying to make it all fit together, but whatever we come up with, best to keep it in perspective. Just my two cents.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
It's usually just a thought hidden in the background, but logic is pretty funky whenever it concerns video games. Sure, the limits are pretty much as far as imagination, but for the world of pokemon to be morally sound and possible there are some serious contortions and hoops it needs to go through.

-Is this not super powered dog fighting? Best answers I've seen pretty much acknowledge that's what it is, but dress it in circumstances where it is beneficial/necessary to both trainer and mon.

-This hospital/computer can make a bug good as new after it's been barbecued by a dragon probably capable of melting a building. Said bug didn't die either. It's kinda why I prefer nuzlockes, though even then the instant heal remains. Guess it beats being unable to use your pokemon for a few days.

-Doduo learns fly.

It's fun trying to make it all fit together, but whatever we come up with, best to keep it in perspective. Just my two cents.
Well all of these are much more apt questions to ask on the Mysteries and Conspiracy thread (except for the Doduo one, that's for the Movepool Oddities thread). But for the two major questions the umbrella answer "Pokemon aren't like the animals we know". They have widely different biology which, while meta wise was made to justify having them fight for their trainers and be able to be healed at a snap of the finger, also explains in-universe why these things are.

As for Nuzlocke's, in the terms of the Pokemon world I actually find them less realistic. Yeah in the real world if you have animals fight as Pokemon do they'll be horribly maimed and die, which is why in real life animal fighting is immoral and illegal in most democratic governments (I'm sure there are exceptions but for the most part ay place that's considered a popular tourist destination I doubt will have animal fighting as a hot spot). However, as I said, Pokemon aren't exactly like animals. For them fighting makes them stronger and they can heal most injuries with a good night sleep (or instantly with hi-tech technology). A Nuzlocke Pokemon world is a dystopia where everyone and the government is okay with having Pokemon die by the hundreds of thousands with only the player (and I guess Team Plasma) questioning it though in the end they still participate in the slaughter. That doesn't sound right.

Well all of these are much more apt questions to ask on the Mysteries and Conspiracy thread (except for the Doduo one, that's for the Movepool Oddities thread). But for the two major questions the umbrella answer "Pokemon aren't like the animals we know". They have widely different biology which, while meta wise was made to justify having them fight for their trainers and be able to be healed at a snap of the finger, also explains in-universe why these things are.

As for Nuzlocke's, in the terms of the Pokemon world I actually find them less realistic. Yeah in the real world if you have animals fight as Pokemon do they'll be horribly maimed and die, which is why in real life animal fighting is immoral and illegal in most democratic governments (I'm sure there are exceptions but for the most part ay place that's considered a popular tourist destination I doubt will have animal fighting as a hot spot). However, as I said, Pokemon aren't exactly like animals. For them fighting makes them stronger and they can heal most injuries with a good night sleep (or instantly with hi-tech technology). A Nuzlocke Pokemon world is a dystopia where everyone and the government is okay with having Pokemon die by the hundreds of thousands with only the player (and I guess Team Plasma) questioning it though in the end they still participate in the slaughter. That doesn't sound right.
It's a balance between morality and realism. Pokemon not being like animals is not realistic. The more unlike animals they are, the further you stray from reality. Nuzlockes are not unrealistic. They're simply without morals (generally, as there are exceptions to most everything). That or the morals are different. Aztecs sacrificing hundreds a day, cannibalism, and wearing human skin did not make them unrealistic, and neither is the advancement of technology linked to better understanding of right and wrong.

My questions weren't really an attempt for answers, but to emphasize my point that logic takes a nose dive out the window when it comes to video games. Didn't really mean to get the thread so off course, but happy for a chance at thoughtful discussion.

I've pretty much assumed that the storage system is just a way of organizing the recall circuits to make transferring Pokémon easier and faster, and that they live on massive ranches like the ones shown occasionally in the animé.
Then again, considering there must be hundreds of thousands of trainers at least for each region, and millions of Pokémon, I have to question how feasible that is. Do they spend the majority of their time in cyberspace, and are allowed back into reality on a rotational basis to get actual fresh air/to make sure their transporter patterns don't degrade? Then again, storage technology seems to function different from Starfleet transporter technology, and it seems there seems to be no mention of the storage patterns ever degrading/becoming lost, but I have to assume like any technology, there is the possibility of it not working as intended, or the risk of breakdown, and the need for maintenance.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
I've pretty much assumed that the storage system is just a way of organizing the recall circuits to make transferring Pokémon easier and faster, and that they live on massive ranches like the ones shown occasionally in the animé.
Then again, considering there must be hundreds of thousands of trainers at least for each region, and millions of Pokémon, I have to question how feasible that is. Do they spend the majority of their time in cyberspace, and are allowed back into reality on a rotational basis to get actual fresh air/to make sure their transporter patterns don't degrade? Then again, storage technology seems to function different from Starfleet transporter technology, and it seems there seems to be no mention of the storage patterns ever degrading/becoming lost, but I have to assume like any technology, there is the possibility of it not working as intended, or the risk of breakdown, and the need for maintenance.
Well in the anime I think Professor Oak does rotate who gets time outside of their Pokeball. That said the Pokemon that Professor Oak gets he lets out and roam for research purposes. In-game I don't think that's quite the case, it just seems like they're being stored some place. Like Hayley's Ranch seems like a special "resort" for Pokemon but its limited to 1,000 Pokemon for each trainer (though I think in-story (if there is even room for it) sort of presumes only your Pokemon is being stored at Hayley's). Also you don't have to wait to withdraw a Pokemon, when you to the PC your Pokemon is always ready to be withdrawn.

Now the odd exception is with Latios/Latias but I think we can write that off as them being Legendary they can escape their confides if summoned. Though thinking about it, it probably would have been a better idea to have it be the other Eon Pokemon you didn't catch be the ones who flies you around, its easier to write out the Eon Ticket being canon that figuring out how the Eon Pokemon you have is able to escape the PC or why you can't capture it again if you decide to release it but summon it back with the Eon Flute.

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
The Eon Flute is probably magic.

Weak excuse, I know, but there isn't really any other explanation. It can summon them if they're not even owned by you anymore.

Alternatively, Gameplay and Stroy Segregation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)