Banette (GP: 2/2)

Punchshroom

FISHIOUS REND MEGA SHARPEDO
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
[OVERVIEW]
Mega Banette's sole niche is Prankster Destiny Bond, which it uses by alternating between Destiny Bond and an attacking move to checkmate most attackers into a double KO. This is particularly useful against setup sweepers, essentially denying their sweep by threatening the KO or forcing them out. However, Mega Banette is hindered by several flaws. Due to predetermined turn order, Prankster doesn't activate on the turn of Mega Evolution, meaning Banette has to use Protect or find a safe Mega Evolving opportunity against a weakened slower foe, severely limiting its possible options. While Mega Banette has a high Attack stat, the average Base Power of its moves heavily limits its damage potential, and poor stats everywhere else hold back its wide movepool and make Banette a one-trick pony.

Mega Banette also has immense difficulty fitting onto teams due to severe competition from other Pokemon, such as Spiritomb as a spinblocker, Absol as a stallbreaker, and even Sharpedo as a makeshift Prankster Destiny Bond user courtesy of Speed Boost. Furthermore, Mega Banette uses up the team's Mega slot, and other Mega Evolutions are usually more worthwhile, making it even harder to justify Mega Banette's use on most teams. Thus, Mega Banette only really manages fits on offensive entry hazard-stacking teams, where its capabilities, namely spinblocking and ability to trade KOs quickly, are maximized. However, even then it still faces competition from Rotom and Mismagius for the spinblocking role as well as Mega Glalie for the Mega slot and as an attacker that quickly attains KOs (with Explosion in Mega Glalie's case), so consider your options heavily first.

[SET]
name: Offensive Utility
move 1: Destiny Bond
move 2: Will-O-Wisp
move 3: Knock Off / Shadow Claw
move 4: Gunk Shot
item: Banettite
ability: Frisk / Insomnia
nature: Adamant
evs: 252 Atk / 56 Def / 200 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========
Destiny Bond halts faster sweepers, particularly setup sweepers without priority moves that can hit Mega Banette before it uses Destiny Bond, ending their rampage at the cost of Mega Banette's own life. Will-O-Wisp burns foes and benefits from Prankster, but it is primarily used to soften up bulky Pokemon such as Mega Steelix, Drapion, Qwilfish, Alomomola, and Amoonguss. Knock Off removes items, which is also helpful against bulky Pokemon. On the other hand, Shadow Claw allows Mega Banette to maintain greater damage against bulky Pokemon, particularly against bulky Ground-types such as Seismitoad, Mega Camerupt, and defensive Flygon, as Knock Off weakens after the first use; however, Shadow Claw may provide a free switch in for dangerous Normal-types, such as Meloetta and Exploud. Gunk Shot is Mega Banette's strongest attack and allows it to hit Dark-types, Fairy-types, and certain Grass-types such as Tangrowth and Mega Abomasnow, which shrug off Knock Off with ease; it also gives Mega Banette a tool to KO foes without resorting to Destiny Bond.

Alternatively, Sucker Punch is a powerful priority move that can help Banette dispatch a weakened foe without needing to use Destiny Bond and can allow Banette to safely Mega Evolve should it KO the target. Shadow Sneak is a weaker alternative to Sucker Punch that is not reliant on the foe attacking Banette to work. Protect guarantees that Banette gets the Mega Evolution off without the risk of being KOed on the first turn, which is crucial if Banette needs to make use of Prankster Destiny Bond in a pinch.

Set Details
========
Maximum Attack investment and an Adamant nature grant Mega Banette maximum power. After Mega Evolving, the Speed EVs allow Banette to outspeed Exploud, whereas the Defense EVs allow Mega Banette to always survive Adamant Hitmonlee's Life Orb-boosted Knock Off from full health. Less Speed investment can be run, though not outspeeding Fletchinder isn't advised. Either ability can be useful for Banette prior to Mega Evolving: Frisk scouts items, while Insomnia allows Mega Banette to fend off sleep users such as Amoonguss and Smeargle.

Usage Tips
========
Getting the Mega Evolution off is top priority, though it is only really an issue if you aren't running Protect on Banette; in this case, Banette can Mega Evolve by threatening a KO on a slower Pokemon or just surviving an attack. Mega Banette's main use is to disrupt opponents, primarily halting setup sweepers by putting them in a lose-lose situation between getting KOed by Destiny Bond, getting KOed by repeated attacks, and just getting forced out. With Prankster Destiny Bond, Mega Banette can act as a one-time insurance against sweepers such as Durant, Virizion, Tyrantrum, Hitmonlee, and Sigilyph which could potentially steamroll the team. This does mean Mega Banette has very little longevity and shouldn't be used conservatively, as it is meant to played in a kamikaze-like manner. Mega Banette can then make use of the switches caused by Destiny Bond to soften up foes, either with Will-O-Wisp or with its decently strong attacks. It is important to note that Prankster Will-O-Wisp is usually an inferior option to Prankster Destiny Bond even when it comes to stopping physical sweepers, as Mega Banette tends to still end up getting KOed either way. However, keeping the foe alive but burned can be a good choice if it provides a potential sweeping opportunity for one of Mega Banette's teammates.

Team Options
========
Mega Banette partners well with wallbreakers that can punch through the bulky Pokemon it struggles with; Mega Banette in turn can keep faster Pokemon at bay, albeit only one at a time before its life inevitably expires. There are an abundance of wallbreakers, which include powerhouses such as Exploud, Emboar, Venusaur, Houndoom, Tyrantrum, Meloetta, Hitmonlee, and Durant. Mega Banette best fits on hyper offensive Spikes-stacking teams, where it can be used to halt a foe's sweep or quickly snag KOs in general in order to pave the way for its teammates to sweep. As Mega Banette also acts as a spinblocker, entry hazard setters such as Smeargle, Qwilfish, Omastar, and Accelgor make for appealing teammates. Braviary can work as a partner to discourage Defog, which Mega Banette cannot block, and can punch holes in bulkier teams for Mega Banette.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============
Mega Banette has some interesting options that it sadly does not have the moveslot for. Taunt can be used to force foes to attack into the Destiny Bond as well as preventing status like Toxic, but alternating between Destiny Bond and an attacking move is effective enough against offensive foes, whereas Banette would preferably not waste its Destiny Bond on slower bulky foes when it can cripple them while keeping itself alive for real emergencies such as stopping a setup sweeper. Toxic can really cripple certain Pokemon, such as Alomomola, Tangrowth, and Fletchinder, although it does nothing against most other switch-ins, such as Mega Steelix, Drapion, and Amoonguss. Infestation can be a funny way to take advantage of Destiny Bond; it can either trap the sweeper and further limit the opponent's options or trap the switch-in and preventing the opponent from double switching while you make your switch, making it a quirky way to gain momentum.

On the other hand, some eye-catching moves just aren't good on Mega Banette. Mega Banette has access to Pain Split, but there is no need to increase Mega Banette's longevity and it does not help Mega Banette's matchup against bulky Pokemon by much either. Mega Banette's poor longevity and bulk also mean Calm Mind and Cotton Guard would not take it anywhere, not to mention Spiritomb uses Calm Mind better. Disable can prevent the opponent from using a move and may synergize with Protect, but considering Banette is either trying to take foes down with Destiny Bond or getting forced out by bulky Pokemon, it doesn't help in the larger scheme of things. Pursuit can catch foes trying to escape Destiny Bond, but Spiritomb is usually a better and more consistent user, especially because it gets STAB on it. Mega Banette has access to Prankster Thunder Wave, but instead of sacrificing itself to slow down foes for its teammates, Mega Banette would rather just bring them down with it via Destiny Bond; there are also other Prankster Thunder Wave users that do not take up the team's Mega slot, such as Liepard.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Bulky Pokemon with Recovery**: Pokemon can evade the KO via Destiny Bond or Mega Banette's attacks by simply tanking its attacks and PP stalling Destiny Bond so one will never be at risk of getting knocked out. The likes of Alomomola, Tangrowth, Aromatisse, Amoonguss, Togetic, and even bulky Flygon can keep Mega Banette at bay.

**Status**: Any kind of status can interfere with Destiny Bond's success, be it poison's and burn's health reduction or paralysis's and sleep's immobilization; burn also reduces Banette's damage output. The likes of Scald and Toxic do wonders at fending off Mega Banette, but Will-O-Wisp Fletchinder in particular deserves a special mention for being one of the few setup sweepers to easily circumvent Mega Banette. Taunt can help break the Destiny Bond + attack alternating cycle, although very few users will come out unscathed regardless due to the threat of Will-O-Wisp, much less defeat Mega Banette one-on-one.

**Sacrificing Less Valuable Pokemon**: Outside of the aforementioned methods, it can be really tricky to prevent Mega Banette from claiming a KO on your Pokemon. However, one of Mega Banette's biggest flaws is that, for the most part, it is the opponent that gets to choose what Mega Banette KOes. One can save their more important Pokemon from Mega Banette by having a teammate take the fall from Destiny Bond.

Last edited:

Punchshroom

I really don't think this should have protect to be quite frank and I'd much rather see a more useful move such as Gunk Shot, Sucker Punch, or Thunder Wave
I already went through my thoughts on Gunk Shot and Sucker Punch, but can you please elaborate on why you think Protect shouldn't be on the set when it literally supports Banette's most crucial niche? Also kindly explain when you'd ever want to use Thunder Wave when, in most situations, Destiny Bond would prove more effective at actually stopping threats; TWave honestly seems like extra baggage that does very little that Banette cannot already do while occupying a valuable moveslot.

phantom

Banned deucer.
I'm not of the opinion that Prankster dbond is its sole niche in the first place (and if it was, I would never waste a teamslot on Banette). I used Banette more so as a Pokemon meant to cripple and annoy various threats with status and Knock Off (or fire off high-powered Shadow Claws) to make it easier for other teammates to sweep. Thunder Wave is nice considering unlike Destiny Bond, you have a good shot of crippling an opponent and not dying in the process. It's utility lies in the fact that it can be used to cripple more than one threat, but it's entirely different thing from d-bond where I don't think it's fair asking for a side-by-side comparison.

I don't build teams on the premise of using a Pokemon that just seeks to kill itself alongside its opponent. The ability to spread status / lure in certain pokemon / function as a more effective attacker just gives it a more practical niche and more justified use.

Destiny Bond is still good sure, but saying it's the one and only thing it's good for just isn't right. I've used this thing w/o Destiny Bond and found that it was still able to pull its weight just as well if not more so.

Like I said before, I will not QC this so long as Protect is on the main set. If you disagree with Thunder Wave, that's fine, but there are still two other moves that are simply better for it as opposed to Protect, which is basically a one-time use that's meant to help you activate a panic button for some dangerous sweeper, which you shouldn't be relying solely on Banette to handle anyway.

Punchshroom

I'm not of the opinion that Prankster dbond is its sole niche in the first place (and if it was, I would never waste a teamslot on Banette). I used Banette more so as a Pokemon meant to cripple and annoy various threats with status and Knock Off (or fire off high-powered Shadow Claws) to make it easier for other teammates to sweep.
I know Banette has decent crippling and disruptive potential, but if it didn't have Prankster DBond (or make the most use out of it, hence Protect) I wouldn't even consider this over other options, such as:
Destiny Bond is still good sure, but saying it's the one and only thing it's good for just isn't right. I've used this thing w/o Destiny Bond and found that it was still able to pull its weight just as well if not more so.
Without Destiny Bond, the only other things I can imagine you using Banette for would be stallbreaking. In that case, is MNette that much better than say, Jellicent or even Rotom, at stallbreaking to warrant the Mega slot?

Thunder Wave is nice considering unlike Destiny Bond, you have a good shot of crippling an opponent and not dying in the process. It's utility lies in the fact that it can be used to cripple more than one threat, but it's entirely different thing from d-bond where I don't think it's fair asking for a side-by-side comparison.
I've used TWave Mega Banette, and it does not survive for shit bar the 25% chance to immobilize the opponent, which hardly seems consistent enough to warrant a moveslot for something that tends to be outdone by simply Destiny Bonding the opponent and yielding similiar, if not better results.

I don't build teams on the premise of using a Pokemon that just seeks to kill itself alongside its opponent. The ability to spread status / lure in certain pokemon / function as a more effective attacker just gives it a more practical niche and more justified use.
While Protect does weaken Mega Banette's stallbreaking ability, it still has disruptive potential; Protect mainly just grants MNette more consistency for one of its prominent niches.

Like I said before, I will not QC this so long as Protect is on the main set. If you disagree with Thunder Wave, that's fine, but there are still two other moves that are simply better for it as opposed to Protect, which is basically a one-time use that's meant to help you activate a panic button for some dangerous sweeper, which you shouldn't be relying solely on Banette to handle anyway.
Yeah I'm fine with this. I might probably too preoccupied with having Banette get the safe Mega off (it doesn't have many safe opportunities to afford to come in and throw out a move without facing the risk of being immediately crippled), while also questioning the use of the Mega slot in favor of other stallbreakers should I not capitalize on its Prankster Destiny Bond niche. I'm ok with putting Gunk Shot and Sucker Punch in 4th slot, but still iffy to remove Protect from moves.

Punchshroom

Made changes in the Overview with Absol and Sharpedo mentions. Good god this thing is the definition of 'use at your own risk'.

EonX

Battle Soul
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
When mentioning status, make sure to note that a burn also kills Mega Banette's damage output. I'd also mention Taunt somewhere since that stops Destiny Bond entirely, tho it can be a little tricky to use as a way to stop DBond after Banette is Mega Evolved for obvious reasons. Looks good otherwise, so

QC Approved 3/3

Lumari

empty spaces
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris an Administrator Alumnus
TFP Leader
remove add (Capitalize / Fix) (comments); (AC=add comma; RC=remove comma; SC=semicolon)
GP 1/2
[OVERVIEW]
Mega Banette's sole niche is Prankster Destiny Bond, which it uses by alternating between Destiny Bond and an attacking move to checkmate most attackers into a double KO. This is particularly useful against setup sweepers, essentially denying their sweep by threatening the KO or forcing them out. However, Mega Banette is hindered by several flaws. Due to predetermined turn order, Prankster doesn't activate on the turn of Mega Evolution, meaning Banette has to use Protect or find a safe Mega Evolving opportunity against a weakened slower foe, severely limiting Mega Banette's possible its options. While Mega Banette has a high Attack stat, but the average Base Power of its moves heavily limits its damage potential, whereas and poor stats everywhere else holds back its wide movepool and makes Banette a one-trick pony.

Mega Banette also has immense difficulty fitting onto teams (RC) due to severe competition from other Pokemon, such as Spiritomb as a spinblocker, Absol as a stallbreaker, and even Sharpedo can attempt to use Speed Boost to replicate as a makeshift Prankster Destiny Bond to a similiar effect user courtesy of Speed Boost. (parallelism error / incoherent syntax, whatever you want to call it, and this sorta works) Furthermore, Mega Banette costs uses up the Mega slot, and other Mega Evolutions are usually more worthwhile, making it even harder to justify Mega Banette's use on most teams. Thus, Mega Banette only really manages fits on offensive entry hazard-stacking teams, where its capabilities, namely spinblocking and ability to trade KOes KOs quickly, are fully maximised maximized. However, even then it still faces competition with Rotom and Mismagius for the spinblocking role as well as Mega Glalie for the Mega slot, so consider your options heavily first.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========
Destiny Bond halts faster sweepers, particularly setup sweepers without effective priority moves that can hit Mega Banette (meaning the opponent's Sucker Punch would not help them circumvent Destiny Bond), (Mach Punch / Quick Attack too; or maybe even just "priority moves" because them hitting MBanette is p. self explanatory) ending their rampage at the cost of Mega Banette's own life. Will-O-Wisp burns foes and can make use of benefits from Prankster, but it is primarily used to soften up bulky Pokemon such as Mega Steelix, Drapion, Qwilfish, Alomomola, and Amoonguss. Knock Off removes items, which is also helpful against bulky Pokemon. On the other hand, (AC) Shadow Claw allows Mega Banette to maintain greater damage against bulky Pokemon, particularly against bulky Ground-types such as Seismitoad, Mega Camerupt, (AC) and defensive Flygon, as Knock Off weakens after the first use; however, Shadow Claw may provide a free switch-in for dangerous Normal-types, such as Meloetta and Exploud. Gunk Shot is Mega Banette's strongest attack (RC) and allows Mega Banette it to hit Dark-types, Fairy-types, and certain Grass-types such as Tangrowth and Mega Abomasnow, which shrug off Knock Off with ease; it also gives Mega Banette a tool to KO opponents without resorting to Destiny Bond.

Alternatively, (AC) Sucker Punch is a powerful priority move that can help Banette dispatch a weakened opponent foe without needing to use Destiny Bond (RC) and can allow Banette to safely activate Mega Evolution Evolve should it KO the target. Shadow Sneak is a weaker alternative to Sucker Punch, although it that is not reliant on the foe attacking Banette to work. Protect guarantees that Banette gets the Mega Evolution off without the risk being KOed on the first turn, which is crucial if Banette needs to make use of Prankster Destiny Bond in a pinch.

Set Details
========
Maximum Attack investment and an Adamant nature grant Mega Banette maximum power. After Mega Evolving, the Speed EVs allow Banette to outspeed Exploud, whereas the Defense EVs always allow Mega Banette to survive Adamant Hitmonlee's LO Life Orb-boosted Knock Off from full. Less Speed investment can be run, though not outspeeding Fletchinder isn't advised. Either ability can be useful for Banette prior to Mega Evolving: Frisk scouts items, (AC) while Insomnia allows Mega Banette to fend off sleep users such as Amoonguss and Smeargle.

Usage Tips
========
Getting the Mega Evolution off is top priority, though it is only really an issue if you aren't running Protect on Banette; otherwise in this case, Banette can Mega Evolve by threatening a KO on a slower Pokemon or just surviving an attack. Mega Banette's main use is to disrupt opponents, primarily halting setup sweepers by putting them in a lose-lose situation between getting KOed by Destiny Bond, getting KOed by repeated attacks, or just getting forced out. With Prankster Destiny Bond, Mega Banette can act as a one-time insurance against sweepers such as Durant, Virizion, Tyrantrum, Hitmonlee, and Sigilyph, etc. that could potentially steamroll the team. This does mean Mega Banette has very little longevity (RC) and shouldn't be used conservatively, (AC) as it is meant to played in a kamikaze-like manner. Mega Banette can then make use of the switches caused by Destiny Bond to soften up foes, either with Will-O-Wisp or its decently strong attacks. It is important to note that Prankster Will-O-Wisp is usually outclassed by an inferior option to Prankster Destiny Bond even when it comes to stopping physical sweepers, as Mega Banette tends to still end up getting KOed either way. However, keeping the foe alive but burned can be a good choice if it provides a potential sweeping opportunity for one of Mega Banette's teammates.

Team Options
========
Mega Banette partners well with wallbreakers that can punch through the bulky Pokemon Mega Banette it struggles with; Mega Banette in turn can keep faster Pokemon at bay, albeit only one at a time before its life inevitably expires. There are an abundance of wallbreakers, which include powerhouses such as Exploud, Emboar, Venusaur, Houndoom, Tyrantrum, Meloetta, Hitmonlee, and Durant. Mega Banette best fits on hyper offensive (remove hyphen) Spikes-stacking teams, where it can be used to halt an opponent's foe's sweep or quickly snag KOes KOs in general (RC) in order to pave the way for its teammates to sweep. As Mega Banette also acts as a spinblocker, entry hazard setters such as Smeargle, Qwilfish, Omastar, and Accelgor make appealing teammates. Braviary can work as a partner to discourage Defog, (AC) which Mega Banette cannot block, and can punch holes in bulkier teams for Mega Banette.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============
Mega Banette has some interesting options that it sadly does not have the moveslot for. Taunt can be used to force foes to attack into the Destiny Bond as well as prevent status like Toxic, but alternating between Destiny Bond and an attacking move is effective enough against offensive foes, whereas Banette would preferably not waste its Destiny Bond on slower bulky opponents when it can cripple them while keeping itself alive for real emergencies such as stopping a setup sweeper. Toxic can really cripple certain Pokemon, such as Alomomola, Tangrowth, and Fletchinder, although it does nothing against most other switch-ins, such as Mega Steelix, Drapion, and Amoonguss. Infestation can be a funny way to take advantage of Destiny Bond; it can either trap the sweeper and further limit the opponent's options (RC) or trap the switch-in and preventing the opponent from double switching while you make your switch, making it a quirky way to gain momentum.

On the other hand, some eye-catching moves just aren't good on Mega Banette. Mega Banette has access to Pain Split, but there is no need to increase Mega Banette's longevity and it does not help Mega Banette's matchup against bulky Pokemon by much either. Mega Banette's poor longevity and bulk also means Calm Mind and Cotton Guard would not take Banette it anywhere, plus not to mention Spiritomb does uses Calm Mind better. Disable can prevent the opponent from using a move and may synergize with Protect, but considering Banette is either Destiny Bonding opponents trying to take foes down with Destiny Bond or getting forced out by bulky Pokemon, it doesn't help in the larger scheme of things. Pursuit can catch foes trying to escape Destiny Bond, but Spiritomb is usually a better and more consistent user, especially since Spiritomb because it gets STAB from on it. Mega Banette has access to Prankster Thunder Wave, but instead of sacrificing itself to slow down foes for its teammates, Mega Banette would rather just bring them down with it via Destiny Bond; there are also other Prankster Thunder Wave users that do not cost take up the Mega slot, such as Liepard.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Bulky Pokemon with Recovery**: One Pokemon that can evade the KO via Destiny Bond or Mega Banette's attacks by simply tanking its attacks and PP stalling Destiny Bond so one will never be at risk of getting knocked out. The likes of Alomomola, Tangrowth, Aromatisse, Amoonguss, Togetic, and even bulky Flygon can keep Mega Banette at bay.

**Status**: Any kind of status can interfere with Destiny Bond's success, be it poison and burn's health reduction or paralysis and sleep's immobilization; burn also reduces Banette's damage output. The likes of Scald and Toxic do wonders at fending off Mega Banette, but Will-O-Wisp Fletchinder in particular deserves a special mention for being one of the few setup sweepers to easily circumvent Mega Banette. Taunt can help break the Destiny Bond + attack alternating cycle, although very few users will come out unscathed regardless due to the threat of Will-O-Wisp, much less defeat Mega Banette 1v1 one-on-one.

**Sacking Less Valuable Pokemon**: Outside of the aforementioned methods, it can be really tricky to prevent Mega Banette from claiming a KO on your Pokemon. However, one of Mega Banette's biggest flaws is that, for the most part, it is the opponent that gets to choose what Mega Banette KOes. One can save their more important Pokemon from Mega Banette by having a teammate take the fall from Destiny Bond.

Last edited:

P Squared

a great unrecorded history
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

[OVERVIEW]
Mega Banette's sole niche is Prankster Destiny Bond, which it uses by alternating between Destiny Bond and an attacking move to checkmate most attackers into a double KO. This is particularly useful against setup sweepers, essentially denying their sweep by threatening the KO or forcing them out. However, Mega Banette is hindered by several flaws. Due to predetermined turn order, Prankster doesn't activate on the turn of Mega Evolution, meaning Banette has to use Protect or find a safe Mega Evolving opportunity against a weakened slower foe, severely limiting its possible options. While Mega Banette has a high Attack stat, the average Base Power of its moves heavily limits its damage potential, and poor stats everywhere else hold back its wide movepool and make Banette a one-trick pony.

Mega Banette also has immense difficulty fitting onto teams due to severe competition from other Pokemon, such as Spiritomb as a spinblocker, Absol as a stallbreaker, and even Sharpedo as a makeshift Prankster Destiny Bond user courtesy of Speed Boost. Furthermore, Mega Banette uses up the team's Mega slot, and other Mega Evolutions are usually more worthwhile, making it even harder to justify Mega Banette's use on most teams. Thus, Mega Banette only really manages fits on offensive entry hazard-stacking teams, where its capabilities, namely spinblocking and ability to trade KOs quickly, are maximized. However, even then it still faces competition with from Rotom and Mismagius for the spinblocking role as well as Mega Glalie for the Mega slot and as an attacker that quickly attains KOs (with Explosion in Mega Glalie's case), so consider your options heavily first.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========
Destiny Bond halts faster sweepers, particularly setup sweepers without priority moves that can hit Mega Banette before it uses Destiny Bond, ending their rampage at the cost of Mega Banette's own life. Will-O-Wisp burns foes and benefits from Prankster, but it is primarily used to soften up bulky Pokemon such as Mega Steelix, Drapion, Qwilfish, Alomomola, and Amoonguss. Knock Off removes items, which is also helpful against bulky Pokemon. On the other hand, Shadow Claw allows Mega Banette to maintain greater damage against bulky Pokemon, particularly against bulky Ground-types such as Seismitoad, Mega Camerupt, and defensive Flygon, as Knock Off weakens after the first use; however, Shadow Claw may provide a free switch in for dangerous Normal-types, such as Meloetta and Exploud. Gunk Shot is Mega Banette's strongest attack and allows it to hit Dark-types, Fairy-types, and certain Grass-types such as Tangrowth and Mega Abomasnow, which shrug off Knock Off with ease; it also gives Mega Banette a tool to KO opponents foes without resorting to Destiny Bond.

Alternatively, Sucker Punch is a powerful priority move that can help Banette dispatch a weakened foe without needing to use Destiny Bond and can allow Banette to safely Mega Evolve should it KO the target. Shadow Sneak is a weaker alternative to Sucker Punch that is not reliant on the foe attacking Banette to work. Protect guarantees that Banette gets the Mega Evolution off without the risk of being KOed on the first turn, which is crucial if Banette needs to make use of Prankster Destiny Bond in a pinch.

Set Details
========
Maximum Attack investment and an Adamant nature grant Mega Banette maximum power. After Mega Evolving, the Speed EVs allow Banette to outspeed Exploud, whereas the Defense EVs always allow Mega Banette to always survive Adamant Hitmonlee's Life Orb-boosted Knock Off from full health. Less Speed investment can be run, though not outspeeding Fletchinder isn't advised. Either ability can be useful for Banette prior to Mega Evolving: Frisk scouts items, while Insomnia allows Mega Banette to fend off sleep users such as Amoonguss and Smeargle.

Usage Tips
========
Getting the Mega Evolution off is top priority, though it is only really an issue if you aren't running Protect on Banette; in this case, Banette can Mega Evolve by threatening a KO on a slower Pokemon or just surviving an attack. Mega Banette's main use is to disrupt opponents, primarily halting setup sweepers by putting them in a lose-lose situation between getting KOed by Destiny Bond, getting KOed by repeated attacks, or and just getting forced out. With Prankster Destiny Bond, Mega Banette can act as a one-time insurance against sweepers such as Durant, Virizion, Tyrantrum, Hitmonlee, and Sigilyph, which that could potentially steamroll the team. This does mean Mega Banette has very little longevity and shouldn't be used conservatively, as it is meant to played in a kamikaze-like manner. Mega Banette can then make use of the switches caused by Destiny Bond to soften up foes, either with Will-O-Wisp or with its decently strong attacks. It is important to note that Prankster Will-O-Wisp is usually an inferior option to Prankster Destiny Bond even when it comes to stopping physical sweepers, as Mega Banette tends to still end up getting KOed either way. However, keeping the foe alive but burned can be a good choice if it provides a potential sweeping opportunity for one of Mega Banette's teammates.

Team Options
========
Mega Banette partners well with wallbreakers that can punch through the bulky Pokemon it struggles with; Mega Banette in turn can keep faster Pokemon at bay, albeit only one at a time before its life inevitably expires. There are an abundance of wallbreakers, which include powerhouses such as Exploud, Emboar, Venusaur, Houndoom, Tyrantrum, Meloetta, Hitmonlee, and Durant. Mega Banette best fits on hyper offensive Spikes-stacking teams, where it can be used to halt a foe's sweep or quickly snag KOs in general in order to pave the way for its teammates to sweep. As Mega Banette also acts as a spinblocker, entry hazard setters such as Smeargle, Qwilfish, Omastar, and Accelgor make for appealing teammates. Braviary can work as a partner to discourage Defog, which Mega Banette cannot block, and can punch holes in bulkier teams for Mega Banette.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============
Mega Banette has some interesting options that it sadly does not have the moveslot for. Taunt can be used to force foes to attack into the Destiny Bond as well as preventing status like Toxic, but alternating between Destiny Bond and an attacking move is effective enough against offensive foes, whereas Banette would preferably not waste its Destiny Bond on slower bulky opponents foes when it can cripple them while keeping itself alive for real emergencies such as stopping a setup sweeper. Toxic can really cripple certain Pokemon, such as Alomomola, Tangrowth, and Fletchinder, although it does nothing against most other switch-ins, such as Mega Steelix, Drapion, and Amoonguss. Infestation can be a funny way to take advantage of Destiny Bond; it can either trap the sweeper and further limit the opponent's options or trap the switch-in and preventing the opponent from double switching while you make your switch, making it a quirky way to gain momentum.

On the other hand, some eye-catching moves just aren't good on Mega Banette. Mega Banette has access to Pain Split, but there is no need to increase Mega Banette's longevity and it does not help Mega Banette's matchup against bulky Pokemon by much either. Mega Banette's poor longevity and bulk also mean Calm Mind and Cotton Guard would not take it anywhere, not to mention Spiritomb uses Calm Mind better. Disable can prevent the opponent from using a move and may synergize with Protect, but considering Banette is either trying to take foes down with Destiny Bond or getting forced out by bulky Pokemon, it doesn't help in the larger scheme of things. Pursuit can catch foes trying to escape Destiny Bond, but Spiritomb is usually a better and more consistent user, especially because it gets STAB on it. Mega Banette has access to Prankster Thunder Wave, but instead of sacrificing itself to slow down foes for its teammates, Mega Banette would rather just bring them down with it via Destiny Bond; there are also other Prankster Thunder Wave users that do not take up the team's Mega slot, such as Liepard.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Bulky Pokemon with Recovery**: Pokemon can evade the KO via Destiny Bond or Mega Banette's attacks by simply tanking its attacks and PP stalling Destiny Bond so one will never be at risk of getting knocked out. The likes of Alomomola, Tangrowth, Aromatisse, Amoonguss, Togetic, and even bulky Flygon can keep Mega Banette at bay.

**Status**: Any kind of status can interfere with Destiny Bond's success, be it poison's and burn's health reduction or paralysis's and sleep's immobilization; burn also reduces Banette's damage output. The likes of Scald and Toxic do wonders at fending off Mega Banette, but Will-O-Wisp Fletchinder in particular deserves a special mention for being one of the few setup sweepers to easily circumvent Mega Banette. Taunt can help break the Destiny Bond + attack alternating cycle, although very few users will come out unscathed regardless due to the threat of Will-O-Wisp, much less defeat Mega Banette one-on-one.

**Sacking Sacrificing Less Valuable Pokemon**: Outside of the aforementioned methods, it can be really tricky to prevent Mega Banette from claiming a KO on your Pokemon. However, one of Mega Banette's biggest flaws is that, for the most part, it is the opponent that gets to choose what Mega Banette KOes. One can save their more important Pokemon from Mega Banette by having a teammate take the fall from Destiny Bond.

GP 2/2

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)