Project NU Matchmaking Reinvigorated (Again) [Week 11 - Swords Dance Shiftry] VOTING

Status
Not open for further replies.

nv

The Lost Age
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Ok time for the results! While close, Can-Eh-Dian's Swellow squeezes by to be the winner by 1 vote! Now onto this week...

I decided to do a mon I always have trouble building with, but is a very big threat in the current meta. I am talking about...

Jynx (F) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Dry Skin
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Lovely Kiss
- Nasty Plot / Focus Blast
- Ice Beam
- Psyshock / Psychic

Submissions end Friday so have fun! :)

Dr Ciel

Banned deucer.
Pyroar pls.

I Am The Fire (Pyroar) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Unnerve
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Hyper Voice
- Hidden Power Grass
- Flamethrower

Choice Specs Pyroar is a pretty solid partner for LO Jynx for multiple reasons. Pyroar easily eliminates the Steel types that Jynx hates if it doesn't run Focus Blast such as Pawniard, Probopass, and Klinklang with its Fire STAB. In return, Jynx can easily switch into Water types thanks to Dry Skin & can set up on them if it runs Nasty Plot. Jynx also can OHKO Hariyama if it chooses to run Psyshock.

Last edited:
Reactions: nv

Shadestep

volition immanent
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
+

Sawk (M) @ Choice Band
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Knock Off
- Ice Punch
- Stone Edge

Jynx (F) @ Focus Sash
Timid Nature
- Lovely Kiss
- Nasty Plot / Focus Blast
- Ice Beam
- Psyshock

pretty logical choice here. Jynx takes care of Sawk's counters like Weezing, Vileplume, and Gourgeist. Sawk kills things like Klinklang and Ferroseed to clear the way for jynx.
really solid core imo, although really hates SR.

Cheryl.

Celesteela is Life

Hariyama @ Assault Vest
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Knock Off
- Bullet Punch
- Fake Out

Like Sawk above, Hariyama is a great partner for Sash Jynx, as it takes care of the Dark and Steel types Jynx has trouble with, and also walling Fire types thanks to Thick Fat! Go Yama!

+

Miltank @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 16 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Body Slam
- Heal Bell
- Milk Drink

Jynx (F) @ Focus Sash
Timid Nature
- Lovely Kiss
- Nasty Plot
- Ice Beam
- Psyshock

Everyone is going for offensive partners so I go for defensive one. However Miltank does not help with the Fightning types, it does help with Archeops, Tauros, Kangaskan (if they don't run drain punch), it also helps with the physical dark types like Liepard and Shiftry. These are all pokémon where Jynx has trouble with since it can just outspeed Jynx and OHKO it after the sash is broken and Kangaskan and Shiftry have priority in Fake Out and Sucker Punch you have to rely on that nothing is asleep or 50/50's with Sucker Punches. With Miltank you can safely switch in on that as well as all the other pokémon that I have mentioned before since those can not 2 hit KO Miltank. Miltank can just widdle them down with Body Slam + Rocky Helmet and can recover his health with Milk Drink. Overall this core is not used much but can help out pretty well if you want to build around Jynx.

nv

The Lost Age
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
*clears throat for announcer voice* Welcome to NU Matchmaking's 10th week of voting! This week we have some possibly lovely mates for the beautifully talented Nicki Minaj Focus Sash Jynx. First off, we have Dr Ciel and their outstanding display of Simba a mon so majestic. Of course I am talking about that Pyroar calmly sleeping by the fire! Next up, we have shadestep and their take on a "match made in heaven" with the NU Savior, Drake Sawk, coming to Jynx's rescue. After having a long stint in ICBB land, BrandonBeast brought Meek Mill Hariyama in hopes to thwart NU's Savior by dissing its hit song "Hotline Bling" "Resist Where?". Lastly, bringing up the rear, we have the ever so thoughtful Jarii bringing a new spin to the game by presenting to Jynx her #1 fan Miltank, the Dairy Queen herself.

*returns to normal voice* Who will become Jynx's main bae? Will I ever stop doing these little stories? Vote for the one who you believe Jynx should be with between now and Monday. Tune in on Monday to find out who will be...JYNX'S MAIN BAE!!!

Last edited:

nv

The Lost Age
And with those three votes, Nicki Minaj's Jynx's bae is Drake Sawk, meaning the winner is shadestep. Congratulations!!! :)

This week is a bunch of bull****, but it is an S rank mon for a reason so have fun picking partners for it! You guys have until Friday to submit partners! Good luck :)

Tauros @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Rock Climb
- Earthquake
- Fire Blast / Iron Tail
- Zen Headbutt / Rock Slide

P.S. I would prefer no drops be used this week unless you can explain yourself in detail why a mon who hasn't been around for too long is a really good match for the featured Pokemon (in this case Tauros).

Last edited:

Dr Ciel

Banned deucer.
Reserving Claydol. Will have this up within the next hour - 90 minutes.

Not The Same (Claydol) @ Colbur Berry / Soft Sand
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Earth Power
- Shadow Ball
- Psychic / Psyshock

Claydol is a fine partner for LO Tauros as it can check, counter, or straight up eliminate its checks and counters. Claydol can check Fighting types & eliminate them with a STAB Psychic or Psyshock. Bulky Rock types and physical walls are also checked or weakened by Claydol, especially the latter in order for Tauros to knock them out later. Tauros is suspectable to being worndown by entry hazards, so Claydol can be used to spin them away with relative ease.

Last edited:

Shadestep

volition immanent
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Rotom as a Partner

Rotom @ Spell Tag
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hex
- Will-O-Wisp
- Volt Switch
- Shadow Ball

Rotom is actually a pretty cool partner as it beats almost all the checks to Tauros. things like Steelix, Rhydon, Gourgeist or Regirock get Will-o-Wisped and get hit with a Hex the next turn for a big chunk of damage, making them unable to deal with Tauros later in the game.
things that wall Rotom like M-Audino get threatened out by Tauros' powerful STAB- and coverage moves.

Cheryl.

Celesteela is Life

Golurk @ Life Orb / Soft Sand
Ability: Iron Fist
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Rock Polish
- Earthquake
- Shadow Punch
- Ice Punch

Golurk is a fine partner for Tauros, as it can eliminate stuff like Steelix and Regirock with Earthquake and it appreciates Tauros' wallbreaking to set up Rock Polishes and sweep easier. Golurk can also check Fighting types, which is really nice.

Big Boy Hariyama as partner.

Hariyama @ Assault Vest
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Knock Off
- Bullet Punch
- Fake Out
Hariyama synergies nice with Tauros since hariyama is able to eat up special attacks for days what tauros with 70 spD has problems with. Now Sceptile is in the tier priority is like really needed, Hariyama is able to check Sceptile since it's able to eat up one hit at least and able to hit it with 2 priority hits at least if not a strong Close Combat. Hariyama is also able to beat those rhydons, steelix's and regirock's what tauros does not like facing. This core has proven for me that it's able to do alot of work.

Grim

The Ghost
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

Skuntank @ Lum Berry
Ability: Aftermath
EVs: 232 Atk / 132 SpD / 144 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Sucker Punch
- Pursuit
- Poison Jab
- Taunt

or

Skuntank @ Life Orb
Ability: Aftermath
Modest Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Fire Blast
- Hidden Power Grass
- Defog

Pretty obvious partner here. Tauros's main checks are Ghost-types and generally physically bulky things such as Musharna, Rhydon, Carracosta, Ferroseed if no Fire Blast, etc. Generic Pursuit Skuntank is the best choice if reliably eliminating Ghost-types and Musharna is the main priority, but special Skuntank still beats those while also luring in Rhydon and Ferroseed if not using Fire Blast. I guess you could also use Pursuit on special Skuntank if you want, it's all team dependent.

nv

The Lost Age
We have some good submissions this week! Dr Ciel has brought the little dreidel doll that has too many eyes, Claydol. shadestep wanted to shock us by showcasing the little Electric / Ghost we call Rotom. BrandonBeast decided to show off an unorthodox mon with an uncommon set in Golurk. Jarii, a common sight among my threads, posted the one and only sumo mon, Hariyama. -Grim, a PU regular, ventured into my NU thread and dropped not one but two Skuntank sets.

Voting ends Monday. Have fun! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)