Smogon Simple Questions/Suggestions

Hi, my question is how does one teach themselves how to team build without any outside help? I'm normally super busy with life so I can't sign up for a tutor, but in my free time I like to use showdown and I would like to get at least a little better at competitive battling (Been battling causally for just under 2 years, never have gotten that good), hopefully this doesn't require a complicated answer or something of that sort.

Hi, my question is how does one teach themselves how to team build without any outside help? I'm normally super busy with life so I can't sign up for a tutor, but in my free time I like to use showdown and I would like to get at least a little better at competitive battling (Been battling causally for just under 2 years, never have gotten that good), hopefully this doesn't require a complicated answer or something of that sort.
you should check out smogon's strategy dex http://www.smogon.com/dex/xy/pokemon/. I could also help you now and then with some basic tips on how to get better just message me anytime you want some simple advice. Also another way to get good would be to battle more often. I recommend pokemon showdown because most of the people try to play at a competitive level on the simulator. However, do be warned some people can be complete jackass's.
Is there a thread where I can request help for single sets?
I don't think there is however, check out the http://www.smogon.com/dex/xy/pokemon/. Base your sets off of what fits your team best that really is all I can say.

Hi!

Due to my lack of good Pokemon I was wondering if it's viable to trade in exchange for EV training one of their Pokemon? Not just is it something I could do, but is it something anyone would take me up on, being a new member?

shiny finder

forever searching
is a Community Leaderis a Programmeris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Chatot Wrangler
Hi!

Due to my lack of good Pokemon I was wondering if it's viable to trade in exchange for EV training one of their Pokemon? Not just is it something I could do, but is it something anyone would take me up on, being a new member?
Hi! Welcome to Smogon ^_^

We all started out in the same place, so I think there would be people who would take you up on your offer even though you are new. Being a new member aside, the EV training mechanics in Gen VI have decreased the demand for EV trainers, so you might be hard-pressed to find someone in general though. With that being said, it never hurts to ask :P A post in the Wi-Fi section's Simple Questions/Requests thread would be a good place to start. If you are able to clone, that service is in high demand.

There are also plenty of people in Wi-Fi who would be willing to give you Pokemon so you can start your own collection, including Pokemon in cool/matching Pokeballs and even 6 IV Dittos. I'd recommend looking around in the Giveaway subforum as well if you want to start your collection. If you're looking for a 6 IV Ditto (or one with other hard-to-get IVs), you can check out the ones available in Most's and MattaPod's trade threads (I linked their threads to their usernames). :)

Oglemi

Borf
is a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
Now that PU is an official tier, will we get a PU open next grand slam?
Official answer: "To be determined"

The tournament directors have not discussed this at any length. There is the choice to add it and make Grand Slam probably the most grueling tournament we have, whether or not there's a good chance of that happening is yet to be seen.

SparksBlade

is a Tournament Directoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staffis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host
Community Leader
forums are loading oddly for me, and it happens occasionally
im using chrome, it's updated, and there's no extensions running

also, "Inbox" and "Alerts" should show a drop down when hovered over, but i have to click on them for it.
please help ._.

forums are loading oddly for me, and it happens occasionally
im using chrome, it's updated, and there's no extensions running

also, "Inbox" and "Alerts" should show a drop down when hovered over, but i have to click on them for it.
please help ._.
Any issues with your internet connection or loading other websites? I get this sometimes when my internet is really slow.

How to get my tagline ?
What exactly do you mean? A signature (the message/image that appears under your post)? To get one, hover over your username on the top right corner of your screen. A menu should pop up, and click "Signature". There you can just type whatever you want, or insert an image.

If you mean a short text under your username.. That option is only available for badged users.

Last edited:
Why do so many users and in some cases mods have to be so critical? Is there some rule or something I have missed? Why does everyone here treat new people like scum when really they should be patient with new people?

But seriously, why? Why is Smogon so stinking intolerant of people being new or unorthodox? Is being new banned? Is creativity in sets that actually work scorned? I actually want this answered. I have had my account for a while and I still get treated like scum, and I see new people be treated like they are complete dirt.

How Exactly? Mods were super kind with me since I joined, and every comunity has to follow rules, a set that pretends to be creative should have a proof of viablility and not just weird stuff.

If someone treats you like a scum, you should report them.
Sorry, correction: Mods are generally nice, just not as understanding as I think they should be with accidents related to rule breaking.

Edit: Question answered. Thanks Piscean! That makes sense if it is like being a Freshmen and stuff. I can relate to that :P

Last edited:
Why do so many users and in some cases mods have to be so critical? Is there some rule or something I have missed? Why does everyone here treat new people like scum when really they should be patient with new people?

But seriously, why? Why is Smogon so stinking intolerant of people being new or unorthodox? Is being new banned? Is creativity in sets that actually work scorned? I actually want this answered. I have had my account for a while and I still get treated like scum, and I see new people be treated like they are complete dirt.
How Exactly? Mods were super kind with me since I joined, and every comunity has to follow rules, a set that pretends to be creative should have a proof of viablility and not just weird stuff.

If someone treats you like a scum, you should report them.

In my experience on PS!, I've noticed a stigma around users who are new to the sim and/or are generally confused in areas such as teambuilding, battling, room etiquette etc. It's a phenomenon I like to compare with being a freshman to a new highschool and unfortunately it is something you're going to have to just deal with until you gain seniority on the sim. After a while, the mocking does fade away once you learn how to teambuild and battle efficiently; people will start to be less critical of you if you battle like you know what you're doing.
(I'm assuming you're posting this because someone bullied you for battling with a non conventional set)

Another thing, there is a HUGE difference between a viable unorthodox set and a gimmick set.
People admire new creative teambuilding ideas. Nobody admires a Drain Punch Alakazam.

Also, if someone is legitimately harassing you, ignore them. (/ignore username) If they somehow manage to persist, report it to a Moderator. They're available to help you.

TL;DR - People can tell the difference between being creative and being a novitiate. They don't mock the former, they mock the ladder.

How do you change your signature here? I cannot find out how.
Hover over the button in the top left with your name on it, and a bunch of options will drop down, including signature. Since I'm probably bad at explaining things, I made a gif showing how to do it:

SuperRyan249

Banned deucer.
Hover over the button in the top left with your name on it, and a bunch of options will drop down, including signature. Since I'm probably bad at explaining things, I made a gif showing how to do it:
http://awesomescreenshot.com/0505gmn3bc

Thank you but as you can see in the screenshot above, that option is not visible..

http://awesomescreenshot.com/0505gmn3bc

Thank you but as you can see in the screenshot above, that option is not visible..
False Alarm people. I can now see it!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey im new here... And I just have to ask a question, but i dont know where to post it.

Its just this, "Could there be a pure electric tank?" I ask because electric types have only one weakness to my experience. Which is why it comes to me...

It doesn have to be fully evolved, thanks to eviolite.

Hey im new here... And I just have to ask a question, but i dont know where to post it.

Its just this, "Could there be a pure electric tank?" I ask because electric types have only one weakness to my experience. Which is why it comes to me...

It doesn have to be fully evolved, thanks to eviolite.
Not really, electric is a bad defensive typing with zero good resistances and its only weakness is super common.

How do you put the words beneath your username like you have it? I have a sig, but I want to know how to do the words under the name since those are fun.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)